We’re doing Challenge Coins again! Last time we did a Kickstarter and sold over $100,000 worth of them, which turned out to be a LOT of freaking coins. So we’ve learned from last time around and will be doing a few things differently. This post was written by Jack Wylder. He’s the poor guy who actually had to keep track of all this stuff, bag them, mail them, and answer all the emails. ## Ok here it is at last-
CorreiaTech Challenge Coins (Series II)
12 Points We’re doing it a bit different this time (learning from our mistakes)
- 1) We’re not doing it through KickStarter. KS was great in many ways, but Larry’s got a large enough audience that there’s really no reason to hand them 10% off the top (when they brought in less than 1% of sales)
- 2) Instead we’re doing it through the MHI Swag page: https://mhiswag.myshopify.com/ Important: Do NOT order yet! Wait until all 12 designs are finalized and up there so you only have to order once. Even if you’re planning on buying a complete set, hold off- we have a few other items we’ll be introducing along the way that might interest you. In fact, I’m not even going to put them on the site until all has been revealed…
- 3) Since we’re not doing it through KS there’s not a big reason to do stretch goals. It’s easier for all if you only have to place one order one time, so we’re going to just unveil one design a day until we get all 12 shown then you can go order all you like. Don’t order until they’re all posted! You might miss one you love AND we’re going to add a couple of other non-coin items as things go along. We’re going to run this whole thing through the end of the month.
- 4) Actually 2 of the designs are yet TBD- we want to see what coins YOU want so we’re doing 2 backers choice coins. (Last time around the backers’ choice coin ended up being the most popular- the PUFF exemption tag.) Rather than have to wade through a bazillion comments here we’re opening up the discussion on the all new Monster Hunter Forums: (UPDATED- the Forums didn’t pan out) (Ok the forum isn’t actually 100% yet but it makes too much sense to launch it now and I can adjust as we go along…) We were going to make a bigger deal about the forum’s launch but this seems as good a time as any.
- 5) We’re not numbering the coins this time- the numbering last time created WAY too much work and problems and was single handedly responsible for setting us weeks (possibly months) behind schedule on shipping.The exception to this is the first tag we’re doing, but all numbers will be done in a random manner…
- 6) We’re using a new provider for the coins this time. Last time the mint we used did beautiful work but between broken molds and various other delays, what should have been done in less than 6 weeks ended up being over 6 months. The new provider does work JUST as nice (if not nicer) and we have complete confidence that they will deliver in a very timely manner. Speaking of which…
- 7) The molds for the first 10 designs are almost done! Once we have a final tally we can get them to start immediately with much less of a wait. (We should actually be able to show you samples before we even finish unveiling all the designs…)
- 8) Even with the KS 10% loss, the single biggest financial loss last time out was with shipping (no questions, not even close). We’re going to make it much easier this time- all domestic orders are a flat $15 shipping and handling and will ship first class priority mail (along with tracking numbers.) International orders will be a flat $45. Yes, this might seem a lot for one coin but with the swag page we have to put one price in; with the underestimated international shipping last time, we essentially gave hundreds of coins away for free. It’s a lot for one coin, but if you order the whole set it becomes a lot more of a bargain… 😉
- 9) We’re not doing all of the tiers like we did last time. Again, it just ate up way too much time and needlessly complicated things. You can order the whole set for $150 (which is like getting the 2 backers choice coins for free) or you can order just the individual coins you want.
- 10) Like last time we’re going to round up the final tally and get the coins minted and then that’s it- once they’re gone, they’re gone!
- 11) Because we’re using the swag page this time, you can add as many non-coin items as you want. Since we’re shipping things to you anyway it’s an excellent opportunity to stock up on whatever you want.
- 12) Check back daily here for updates and if you have any questions just let us know!
First up: The Provisional PUFF tag
When you sign up for STFU you aren’t granted a PUFF exemption; the whole point is you have to earn it. So how does the government prevent hunters from claiming bounties on members of STFU? The Provisional PUFF exemption tag of course! Bearers of the “P PUFF X” tag can prove that they are regarded as ‘People Pro-Tem’ in the eyes of the MCB and that their death might be considered murder. Good times….
Here’s the sample of the actual coin. (This is the prototype but the production ones will have a random number on them)
Note- so many people were upset about not getting a PUFF exemption last time that we came up with this as a way for them to get exempted too. We are not bringing back the original PUFF and we are only doing these for this run of coins- there will not be a second run of these and I don’t see any way we can do a third PUFF coin.
Coin II: The Grimnoir Seal
As promised, we’re not going exclusively MHI this time! The Grimnoir seal on one side, a highly reflective surface on the other… Wonder what THAT could be used for? (salt not included) Update: Here’s a (not very good to be honest) picture of the actual production sample:
Coin III: The STFU/Heather Coin
In the series I coins the Heather/STFU coin came in second as the backers’ choice. By popular demand here it is at last! The artwork is usually not really representative of the final product so here’s a close up to give you a better idea of what the coin will ACTUALLY look like…
Coin IV: The (un)holy symbol of the Sanctified Church of the Temporary Mortal Condition
Stupid squid lovers… Ok what isn’t shown is that the full title of the cult is engraved around the edge of the medallion. This is another one of those that looks better in reality than in photos…
Coin V: Grimm Berlin Germany’s foremost hunting team gets it’s own coin, with the logo on one side and a portrait of their founders on the other.
(I like to have the original artwork as well as the photos because a) I don’t have ALL the sample coins in and b) I’m using the camera on my iPad which doesn’t always take the best pictures…)
(case in point- to get this one with the wacky lighting it had to be taken at a very odd angle…)
A surprising number of the upcoming designs have been requested on the forum. I take this as a good sign 😉
Coin VI: the Imperium Guards
One side has the distinctive gray eyes of the feared Shadow Guard, the other the snarling visage of the implacable Iron Guards battle helm. Oh- and even though it’s counter-intuitive, it’s kind of a cool effect that the Shadow Guard side actually glows in the dark!(I’ve been assured that the Kanji is 86.6% likely to be at least not terribly incorrect.)
Coin VII: the International Lord of Hate!! Cower mortals and despair at the dread visage of the International Lord of Hate! Behold the hated face of hatred personified (hatefully). Thaaat’s it- BEHOLD IT!!!
Coin IIX: MHI Redux The iconic image that started it all; the horned smiley face logo of Team Harbinger!
Coin IX: (Pirate) Captain Bob Southunder
Undisputed leader of first the Bulldog Marauder and then the Traveler, Captain Bob was integral to the Grimnoir’s plans.
(Sorry for the less than awesome picture- I’ll update with actual pics as soon as I get the sample in hand…)
Coin X: Stranger & Stranger
You’re in strange hands with Stranger & Stranger!
(This is one of those times where a picture just doesn’t do it justice. The hands on the front glow brilliantly in the dark and though the sample lacked the enamel top coat that makes it happen, the back of the coin has a strange finish wherein the design in the back is only visible from certain angles. The sample I saw of the effect was one of the strangest things I’ve ever seen on a challenge coin which is why it is perfect for THIS design!)
Coin XI: the Women of MHI (Backers’ Choice coin #1)
Starring Julie Shackleford-Pitt and Holly Newcastle!
Coin XII: (the Final Coin of Series II) Milo Anderson- the DaVinci of Destruction! (Backers’ Choice coin #2)
MHI’s resident mad scientist finally gets his own coin. (His was very high on the list of requested Backers’ Choice coins last time)
Ok so here, as promised, are some of the additional items we’ll have for you:
Series II Zippos (not knock offs) in either a high polish chrome or black, both engraved
We haven’t done a new patch in a few years, so why NOT suck up to the CorreiaTech CFO by putting him on a patch?
I’ve lost count of how many times we’ve had a request for these… Available in White, black, bright green, or chrome.
(I don’t actually have a sample so I had to cheat, but this is pretty close to how they should come out.) Tiny MHI Smiley pins suitable for hats, bags, cufflinks, tie tacks, whatever!
We will start taking order Monday for the individual coins, the full sets, AND for the new items. (Pricing then)
It will NOT be first thing in the morning as I still have to enter all the info into the Shopify system but we will *DEFINITELY* let you know as soon as you’re cleared for takeoff.