RIP Twitter

I’m done with Twitter. If you follow me over there, I’ll leave the account open to post blog links back to here and book ads, but other than that I’m not going to use it for any sort of conversation.

You’ve probably heard about how Twitter is falling apart. Their stock price has been tanking.

Recently they created a Trust and Safety Council, to protect people from being triggered with hurtful dissenting ideas. Of course the council is made up of people like Anita Sarkesian, so you know how it is going to swing.

For the record, I don’t know if that’s what happened to me or not. Some of my posts have just disappeared from my timeline entirely. Other tweets seem to show up for some followers, but not others, and it wasn’t just replies. Beats me. Either something weird was going on and I’ve violated the unwritten rules of the Ministry of Public Truth, or their technical interface is just getting worse (never attribute to malice what could just be stupidity). Either way it is enough of a pain that it was getting to be not worth the hassle.

Then today they disappeared all of my friend Adam Baldwin’s tweets. Ironically, his only visible post (out of 8,000) was a link to an article about how Twitter is banning conservatives. That was the last straw.

So I’m done there. Twitter can take it’s Orwellian “Trust and Safety Council” and stick it.

Series II Challenge Coins: Update VIII
Yard Moose Mountain 2

292 Comments on "RIP Twitter"

Steve
Steve
6 months 3 days ago

Actually, it looks like Adam Baldwin has all of one post on his wall. What the heck?

BigFire
BigFire
6 months 3 days ago

He ran afoul of MiniTru. You will not question SJW.

6 months 1 day ago
If you were a science fiction Christmas Carol my love, Ray Bradbury, Larry Niven and a Heinleinian writer who never was – aborted by the SFWA – would force 770 to read nothing but LesSoc SFF, eat gay wedding cakes and watch future award ceremonies where racially and sexually androgynous one-eyed dwarves with a club foot all named Dick van Dyke would all win a magic inclusive sphincter-shaped Anoos Award for writing harassment policies. 770 would be awarded the Special Noble Sphincter-Clasp for just watching and then kicked down a flight of special Ringworld stairs which never end. Horrified, 770… Read more »
Book
Book
6 months 3 days ago

The only tweet that shows for Adam is his pinned tweet. His TL is stuck on a perpetually loading loop. Even his photos & vids are gone. His is the only profile that has this “problem.”

If Twitter weren’t screwing around with so many prominent conservatives on their site, we might be able to wave this away as just a bug in the system. But now they have a reputation for juvenile behavior. It can’t be so easily dismissed.

5 months 29 days ago
Mary Robinette Kowal @MaryRobinette Feb 26 Theordore Beale is the Donald Trump of Science Fiction * Mary Robinette Kowal retweeted Daniel José Older @djolder Feb 26 When you’re trying to convince He Who Must Not Be Named you were his loyal servant all along (referring to Christie-Trump) * Daniel José Older @djolder Feb 26 This legacy of giving endless props to white mediocrity coupled with rabid insistence on american exceptionalism…it’s so trifling. Daniel José Older @djolder Feb 26 Because airtime is a finite resource and it goes to white mediocrity instead of black & brown brilliance, again and again Daniel… Read more »
5 months 27 days ago

Kowal is to American citizenship what Cheetah the Chimp was to acting.

Kristophr
Kristophr
6 months 3 days ago

I’ve been getting around the shadowbanning by using tweetdeck, which ignores shadowbans, but it looks like the writing is on the wall.

Even though I can see their posts, if the majority cannot, the posters will just leave. It looks like Vox Day will need to push his schedule for a twitter alternative forward a bit faster.

Kristophr
Kristophr
6 months 3 days ago

And my account is deleted. Buh-bye, Twitter.

elwoodpdowd
elwoodpdowd

Adam Baldwin is now officially gone from Twitter:

TBF he did it himself, and it was not done to him. But he’s also gone.

BigFire
BigFire
6 months 3 days ago

I’m convinced that Twitter management is actively shorting their stock and trying to push the stock price lower. It’s not like they’re making money.

Isaac Skarstedt
Isaac Skarstedt
6 months 3 days ago

Well, looks like I’m gone too. I really only went on to find conservatives like you, Mr. Baldwin, and Milo Yiannopoulos.

Dave H
6 months 3 days ago

I’ve quit Twitter 3 or 4 times over missing tweets from people I followed, including yours, over the past 4 years or so. I complained so many times they fixed it by removing all support & feedback options regarding missing tweets. (God help you if you want to talk to a real person.)

I kept coming back because trying to keep up with people on Facebook makes me suicidal. (Oh, uh, trigger warning.) At least on Twitter the whining was limited to 140 characters at a time.

But I don’t think the missing tweets are social engineering. I think it’s incompetent engineering.

Vince C
Vince C
6 months 3 days ago
I don’t know about this being attributable to incompetence. Speaking as a software engineer, I know that I would out of my head worried if a significant number of my highp profile clients suddenly were not visible on my software. The twitter platform is mature, and stable. It’s been around for a long while now and the code has matured. The fact that your not hearing howls of outrage from SJW’s about missing posts on timeline, that there’s a new “Ministry of Truthiness” at Twitter, and everyone that has been noticing the changes and noting it on other platforms are… Read more »
Book
Book
6 months 3 days ago
Exactly. Far too many coincidences. Let’s make a list: * Trending hashtags started by conservatives disappear from the trending list. * Prominent hashtags such as “#gamergate” or other wrong-think type tags don’t autocomplete. They’re replaced with tags like “#gamergatersarentgamers”, “#gamergatefailed”, and “#gamergateishate” instead. (go ahead. try it.) * Wrong-thought folks posting and their tweets never show up for followers, they never show up under the hashtag they’re posting on. (this is called “shadow-banning”) * A “Glitch” in the system causing a prominent conservative’s page to be stuck in a perpetually loading loop. Even searching his name on the site does… Read more »
6 months 3 days ago

Incompetent engineering that never hits “feminists?” Are you kidding me?

Dave H
6 months 3 days ago

Have you checked for missing tweets by feminists? Or are you just assuming they never disappear because nobody has complained?

I’ve seen tweets from cartoonists and other authors (including John Scalzi) go missing. I haven’t done rigorous testing, but for now I’m still pointing toward the “stupid” side of the stupid/malicious gauge.

6 months 3 days ago

How many of Scalzi’s cult of stupid have you ever seen banned?

Dave H
6 months 3 days ago

I don’t follow such things, so I have no data.

6 months 3 days ago
I did follow such things – for over 2 years. The correct answer is zero. Meanwhile I can name you a dozen anti-feminists who’ve had their accts. in just our local “SJW” arena alone repeatedly suspended over nothing, including a guy’s girlfriend (they reported her just to get at him) and – get this – his cat’s satire acct. SFWA member Beth Bernobich can wish we all die in a fire and “anti-harassment” feminist Randi Harper can put the home phone number of a collection agent who was just doing his job on Twitter with no problem. I could list… Read more »
6 months 3 days ago

That is not a typo: six… hundred… thousand… Tweets over a six year+ period by just two women.

The SJW Convergence is on Twitter – it won’t last forever

Finrod
Finrod
6 months 3 days ago

If you have any doubt, read the Reason article about RS McCain’s banning, then go down into the comments. A Twitter engineer posts that other than the technical people, it’s all SJW all the time there now:

Gay_Cynic
Gay_Cynic
6 months 3 days ago

I smell… opportunity for the technically inclined with a taste for objectivity and fairness

Keith Glass
Keith Glass

Such things are in development. But more than that, I’m NDA’d

Shadowdancer
Shadowdancer
6 months 15 hours ago

That’s good to know. I hope you’ll let us know when it shows up so we can move to it. I’ve been wanting to move to a different service from Twitter; G+ I simply didn’t trust for that sort of thing because of SJWs and most of my friends were on Twitter.

Bugmaster
Bugmaster
6 months 3 days ago

Last year, I attended AWS re:Invent, where they were demoing Kinesis. Their demo went like this: “Ok, this is how you create a Kinesis stream; it’s less than a page of code. This is how you allocate a shard. One shard is free tier. Five or six shards are enough to run the entirety of Twitter. You can allocate up to 12 shards.” So yeah, I don’t really foresee any technical obstacles here…

IAmDevinThomas
IAmDevinThomas
6 months 2 days ago

This reeks of filthy free-market capitalism. Begone, wrongthinker!

jic
jic
6 months 3 days ago

I never really understood the appeal of Twitter to start with.

Peaches N. Cream
Peaches N. Cream
6 months 3 days ago

Me either, other than for business purposes: “Hey, everybody, my new book, Son of the Black Manatee, comes out 12 April!”. Why you’d want to use it for social purposes beats me. In any case somebody’s going to make money off the new politically incorrect Twitter-equivalent, with its built-in customer base of the banned.

Radioactive
Radioactive
6 months 3 days ago

IIRC from Websters, Twitter is defined as “Organized stupidity in the form of a “reasonable” discussion”. SJWs brook no such thing and despite an obvious business appeal, it’s just too stupid to put up with

6 months 2 days ago

I think it’s the bite sized comments and such that appealed to ADD types

Daniel Ream
Daniel Ream
5 months 9 days ago

It was originally a TCP/IP implementation of SMS. That’s why the character limit; it’s the same as the limit for text-only SMS messages.

Book
Book
6 months 3 days ago
I can’t help but think this was/ is Twitter’s goal. F things up for conservatives enough to be truly annoying, to the point where it’s too much of a hassle to use. Interesting, too, that they don’t use the same techniques across the board. Adam’s TL has a “glitch”- it will only load the one tweet. They Shadow-banned Daddy_Warpig , this was proven only because he was posting using a certain hashtag. People took screenshots showing that none of his tweets were showing up. It’s subtle and insidious. This is what happens when a SJW is given even a little… Read more »
ThomasD
ThomasD
6 months 3 days ago

These people are not McCarthyite. They are the ideological descendants of the people McCarthy tried to warn us about.

6 months 2 days ago

And they will wail and gnash teeth when there is any pushback

Dorothy Grant
Dorothy Grant
6 months 3 days ago

Not to worry. They annoy too many of their users too fast, and a platform will come along that offers fixes to the most annoying errors, bugs of its own, and easy migration. Twitter has forgotten the lesson of Myspace. (And Friendster, and Livejournal, and…)

6 months 2 days ago

I just recall Napster, but it had a different problem

Sam M
Sam M
6 months 3 days ago

I deleted my account. I’m sorry but after the crap they’re pulling later, they can suck my left toe.

6 months 3 days ago

Congratulations, Anita Sarkeesian: you just killed Twitter.

And she’ll be rewarded for it, just you wait and see.

Khazlek
Khazlek
6 months 3 days ago

Are the exlcuded folk numerous enough to deny Twitter enough users to matter? They might just see it as cleansing Twitter.

KnuckleDragger
KnuckleDragger
6 months 3 days ago

We had to destroy the village in order to save it…

Av willis
Av willis

20 bucks says she gets nominated for a Nobel Peace prize

6 months 2 days ago

I thought you had to have zero accomplishments to get one of those.

6 months 2 days ago

That means she’s already in the running . . .

Robert Evans
Robert Evans
6 months 3 days ago

I get the feeling that the Left wants to drive conservatives out of social media entirely, or into an ideological closet, as is the case in Hollywood, where a lot of conservatives have to keep their heads down and tug the forelock in order to get work. Minor annoyances such as refusing to allow conservative politicians the use of music hits for their campaigns is just part and parcel of this.

JSchuler
JSchuler
6 months 3 days ago

I think they’d just be happy getting rid of social media, period. It’s not for the masses to be able to talk back to thier betters. We need to be driven back to the days when there were only three shadows on the cave wall, showing the same sillouettes, and no one could look around and disturb them with tales of an outside.

Alan S.
Alan S.

IOW:
Twitter -broadcasting-, without any of the hoi polloi being able to afford (via connections if not money) an account.

Isaac Skarstedt
Isaac Skarstedt

Nice philosophy reference.

6 months 2 days ago

I also like Mickey’s dog.

JSchuler
JSchuler
5 months 29 days ago

It’s a dwarf dog, James. The American Kennel Club reclassified it in 2006.

Khazlek
Khazlek
6 months 3 days ago

The music thing may be annoying, but I think there are plenty of politicians who I wouldn’t want to use my music if I were a recording star. Why shouldn’t I expect liberal musicians to feel the same way?

It seems that the more fundamental problem is that there are a number of musical genre with a paucity of conservative hit-makers. That can either be because people who are inclined to make those kinds of music are liberal, or the music business gives the cold shoulder to those who aren’t. It’s probably both.

Reziac
Reziac
6 months 3 days ago

Same in academia. I can’t find the paper again offhand, but a couple years ago someone documented how if you don’t toe the liberal line (as defined by your fellow academics), you don’t get the tenure and might not keep the job.

Ranba_Ral
6 months 3 days ago
I’ve seen the shadow ban lack of posts happening with Larry, Warpig, and Mark Kern’s posts recently. I was just going around it by going direct to their TL’s. What happened with Adam Baldwin is beyond the pale though. Odd thing is that earlier I’ve noticed the same thing that Larry is complaining about (the disappearing tweets) happening to me, and I’m a small fry. I’ve got less than 200 followers and only about 4k tweets over several years. Makes me wonder if they’re testing automated tools, since some of their earlier stuff about the Ministry of Truth talked about… Read more »
Mikeq
Mikeq
6 months 3 days ago
Apart from two large venture capitalists whom I can’t confirm, the large individual investors are the CEO (4.5%), the other co-founder Evans (12%) and the current president (1.9%). Compare that to the largest institutional investor (a Vanguard fund) who hold 1.4% and you can see where leverage lies. I think that one of the largest investors pre B round is a former Alpha Bank executive (.ru), he might have more leverage, but hard to say, since I have’t gone to look at the latest 10k. Blackrock cut their TWT position by 50% this month. TWTR is down YoY, but got… Read more »
Emery Calame
6 months 2 days ago

A quarter million eyes not seeing the interest targeted ads is insignificant to a company with plummeting value that is alienating its viewership with obnoxious niche viewpoints like Anita Sarkesians? With judgment calls like that no wonder twitter is in the $#!%%er

Brad R. Torgersen
Brad R. Torgersen
6 months 3 days ago
Can I admit that I am jumping up and down with glee, at the idea of Twitter going the way of MySpace? I mean, Facebook is shit enough, but Twitter . . . Twitter makes me die inside, just a little bit, every time I find myself there. I’ve not ever had an account. Every time I’ve been thinking about seriously getting an account, I wind up like that little meme guy who raises his finger and is about to talk, then his finger droops and his face shows sudden conflict of desire, followed by him just walking away. I… Read more »
Toastrider
Toastrider

By all means. I brought snacks. We can sit and watch Twitter burn. 🙂

Radioactive
Radioactive

oh, oh…SMORES?

Tomyironmane
Tomyironmane
6 months 1 day ago

Cooking s’mores over the flames of Twitter burning? Frankly I’d rather cook them over a burning diaper pail. The taste and atmosphere would be better.

Brian Niemeier
Brian Niemeier
6 months 3 days ago

On the one hand, I completely agree with your assessment of Twitter.

On the other, Twitter’s self-immolation kind of sucks for me, since it was the easiest means of staying in touch with my readers.

Shadowdancer
Shadowdancer
6 months 15 hours ago

Yeah. It was helpful for that reason.

6 months 2 days ago

FarceBook is indeed a nightmare

Dan Lane
Dan Lane
6 months 2 days ago

I had a bad feeling about Twitter. I know, that’s a cliche thing to say. But something about it just seemed… off, for a long time now. It’s just that the minitroos and sjw-types aren’t hiding it anymore.

There are people I respect. Some of them are, or have been on twitter. I like seeing what they have to say. I don’t have to be on twitter to do that…

Shadowdancer
Shadowdancer
6 months 15 hours ago

The only reason I got on it was to keep an eye on Larry’s twitter, because it was hilarious to begin with. Then I got involved reading Gamergate related stuff, then Milo and Daddy Warpig, and some folks passing around conservative related news. Made some nice chattery friends there because I could fit this in short bursts of activity, but I could probably work that better on blogging.

I probably won’t stay if Larry’s gone.

Joe Triscari
Joe Triscari
6 months 3 days ago

I saw a tweet once that was an idea for a twitter ad below. Not sure who did it and I’m too lazy to look it up.

Idea for twitter ad:
[Guy opens window and starts screaming incoherently at people passing by]
[Voiceover] Twitter. There’s a better way.

Khazlek
Khazlek
6 months 3 days ago

So basically the scene from Network where the guy opens the window and shouts “I’m mad as hell and I’m not going to take it anymore”? That movie nailed TV, it just didn’t have the imagination to predict the social media equivalent.

TRX
TRX
6 months 3 days ago

“We took the most annoying part of usenet and updated it for the 21st century! “

David MacKinnon
David MacKinnon
6 months 3 days ago

Never got involved with Twitter. Early on saw how the Left wind blew (Ewww…I punned). Even Google is getting in on the act. See how they forced the change of “Pro Life” to “Anti Choice” for peoples browsers. One of many, and Harbinger (oh, the Irony, it burns…) of more to come. Twitter has become the “Go to” tool of lazy journalism, but once enough people check out, it will go the way of AOL and BBSs. The only thing in the Universe that doesn’t change, is that everything changes.

Rob
Rob
6 months 3 days ago

That wasn’t Google. It’s an extension written for Chrome by some anonymous lefty who’s partnered with an pro-abortion group. Extensions can be created by anyone, and you have to manually go out and install it if you want it; it isn’t something that’s forced on users.

6 months 2 days ago

The only reason I look at twitter is to follow a handful of characters, including Trump. And that is only once every couple of weeks. I can easily live without it.

Arwen
Arwen
6 months 3 days ago

Ding, dong, the twit is dead?

6 months 3 days ago

Too bad. I was looking forward to Larry breaking 10k followers within the next few weeks. Ah well.

6 months 3 days ago
As we’ve increasingly gone from from using terms like “PC” to “SJW” and finally the true gender studies rot at the heart of this, the reaction has been ever more hysterical. That proves that with their increased exposure comes increased scrutiny and journalists and researchers are increasingly appalled at the insane origins of this cult. It’s saying something that Anita Sarkeesian’s devotion to bell hooks is one of the least insane expressions of this cult compared to Judith Butler, Robin Morgan, Charlotte Bunch (of the bloody-faced Milo Rugters talk), Gayle Rubin and Adrienne Rich. Anyone familiar with the peculiar supremacist… Read more »
KnuckleDragger
KnuckleDragger
6 months 3 days ago

I have some alternative names, in several language, but my mother said never to use those words in polite company…

Alan S.
Alan S.

They aren’t polite.

TRX
TRX
6 months 3 days ago

The way I see it, the politically correct are annoying, but essentially passive-aggressive. The social justice warriors go out deliberately looking to cause trouble.

gmmay
gmmay
6 months 3 days ago

I never made the personal choice to get involved with Twitter. Once it became clear just how leftist many of these tech giants were rolling, I decided to use them as little as possible. I’m this close to canceling my FB account because they’ve just gotten way too creepy.

It’s really starting to affect a lot of megacorps. I’m having fun watching several of them start their death spirals. Couldn’t have happened to a nicer bunch of assholes. I welcome the next dotcom bubble bust.

Khazlek
Khazlek
6 months 3 days ago

Well if they really piss off enough people to have a viable market for an alternative, one will arise. What fraction of Twitter’s users are pissed off though?

gmmay
gmmay
6 months 3 days ago

Well, they didn’t really seem to be in a position of losing market share, so any loss – and they’re losing people over this – isn’t going to change the existing trendline.

Though I would say that a half-assed boycott isn’t really going to do the trick.

JSchuler
JSchuler
6 months 3 days ago

Twitter had ZERO subscriber growth last quarter. The only way they are not losing market share is if the market isn’t even keeping up with population growth, which puts it in a dying market. None of those is good for Twitter.

That’s why they’re doing this. The company is sick and they don’t know how to cure it. They’re trying bloodletting right now with the Trust and Safety Council. The next step is a mercury enema administered by the new timeline. Who knows, if we’re lucky they might try trepanation with a paywall after that.

gmmay
gmmay
6 months 3 days ago

Yes, I originally intended to convey that Twitter wasn’t in a position to sustain a loss in market share. Realized the poor wording after hitting post.

TRX
TRX
6 months 3 days ago

An acquaintance works for a military subcontractor. The corporation has no internal email or conferencing systems; they do everything on Facebook and Twitter. He had to sign up for a Facebook account to exchange memos with co-workers, and to contact HR to get his tax withholding changed.

“The mind, she boggle!”

6 months 2 days ago

That is really really bad. Anything put into Facebook becomes FBs property. Apparently including this guys personal info.

BioChemiker
BioChemiker
6 months 3 days ago

I literally joined Twitter yesterday. Today, I wonder what’s the point? I’m sure a more liberal (in the classic sense) competitor to Twitter will takes its place in the market. Even SJWs aren’t going to enjoy Twitter if there isn’t anyone around to offend them… Either that or they’ll start eating their own. Hmm. Maybe I will keep Twitter…

Thomas Wictor
Thomas Wictor
6 months 3 days ago

You have to have a Twitter account in order to achieve high rankings in Google search results.

The Google Web crawlers look for certain things: linked Twitter account, linked Facebook account, linked Google account, outgoing links, interior links, photos, and videos. Traffic isn’t all that important.

If you have a blog or Website, you need Twitter, despite the new Ministry of Truth. My guess is that it’ll backfire spectacularly, and they’ll put things back the way they were.

analogkid
analogkid
6 months 3 days ago

Well, you were one of three people I opened up Twitter to read (never made an account) and one of them already left.

*keeps reading*

Adam Baldwin’s done too? Well, that’s all of them.

Nothing good will come of a place that made Scam Artist Sarkeesian head censor.

Keith Glass
Keith Glass
6 months 3 days ago

I’ve already made my final tweet:

“Goodbye” . . .

Patrick Chester
Patrick Chester
6 months 3 days ago

At this rate I’m going to be using twitter just to check and see if SWTOR is finished with maintenance or has fixed a server outage. Or with another game.

trackback

[…] number of my friends have given up on Twitter for good. Legendary author, Larry Correia, is through with Twitter and I don’t blame him. He suspects his Tweets have been messed with […]

6 months 2 days ago

I like the term “Legendary Author, Larry Correia”

Jeff Weimer
6 months 3 days ago

The only problem is, that’s exactly what Anita Sarkeesian wants.

6 months 3 days ago

That’s why I’m hanging around for now. But losing Larry’s smackdowns of idiots on Twitter is going to take most of the fun out of it.

Patrick Chester
Patrick Chester
6 months 3 days ago

That’s pretty much why I’m not deleting my account. If they want me to leave they’ll have to force me out. Though I don’t really post much anyway. (I recently broke… 600 tweets a day or so ago.)

Hm. Maybe I should make a snarky tweet or two about #MiniTrust every once in awhile? I’ve used the term in a few tweets, but I haven’t actually made it into a hashtag.

Mark
Mark
6 months 3 days ago

There must be an “auto-tweet” app that could do your tweets for you. Something with a good insult generator?

Khazlek
Khazlek
6 months 3 days ago

I think there is a more fundamental problem than the Ministry of Truth. Twitter, even when it works perfectly, and isn’t shadow banning, is largely a pointless waste of time. It’s as if we’re being invited to read the whole country’s collective supply of restroom walls.

6 months 2 days ago

Enough people are finding some value in it, even if you arent

J. C. Salomon
J. C. Salomon
6 months 3 days ago

Some folks are suggesting the GNU Social network of sites (create an account on one, follow people there or on any other) like GNUTan or Quitter.se or FreezePeach.xyz; I think there’ll need to be many new “instances” of GNU Social before this becomes a feasible option. (Especially since the Quitter.se site is even more explicitly SJW-friendly than Twitter.)

Kent Shambaugh
Kent Shambaugh
6 months 3 days ago

I deleted my twitter account the day I found out that Sarkeesian was put on their Trust and Safety Council.

trackback

Luke
Luke
6 months 3 days ago

I just deactivated my account.

ZogTheFuzzy
ZogTheFuzzy
6 months 3 days ago

I just deactivated my account. Good riddance, Twitter!

hobanwashburne
6 months 3 days ago

You mean I’m too late to join Twitter while anyone interesting still uses it?

RandyGC
6 months 3 days ago

I only have an account for work so that I can monitor feeds from local news, national weather service, and affiliated organizations to get a heads up when something happens locally that I might have to deal with. I’ve never “twitted” once, I only need a receiver, not a transceiver.

For that reason, I’ll maintain that account, but have never seen the value of one for outside of work. I have enough RSS feeds to keep me busy in my recreational web surfing.

Hopefully this means Larry will have more time to create ways of emptying my bank account!

Mike
Mike
6 months 3 days ago

LC, did my post on TWTR investors etc. run afoul of moderation rules here?

Wes S.
Wes S.
6 months 3 days ago

“Stupidity *or* malice?” I’d say you really need to embrace the healing power of “and.”

The SJWs now calling the shots at Twitter are obviously perfectly cool with destroying the entire platform, if it means that people like Stacy McCain, Larry and Adam Baldwin can’t use it. Remind me again: Which administration made “We had to destroy the village to save it” a national catchphrase?

Rob Crawford
Rob Crawford
6 months 3 days ago

It wasn’t an administration, it was Peter Arnett. The quote was from an “anonymous” source.

TRX
TRX
6 months 3 days ago

That’s hardly unusual. Most of the companies I’ve worked for, their own management seemed to be quite comfortable with sabotaging their own company for trivial or no reason… even when their bonus was keyed to the profit margin.

Writing/publishing isn’t the only field”…and then you get paid” sits in some sort of aphasic blind spot…

DanC
DanC
6 months 3 days ago

I’d Tweet this, but I cancelled my Twitter account 2 hours ago. F- ’em.

The Political Hat
The Political Hat

There is an alternative to Twitter: Quitter.se

Unlike Twitter, the Quitter platform is decentralized similar to E-mail.

Adam Lawson
Adam Lawson
6 months 3 days ago

I decided to scale back, then saw the Sarkeesian thing… and then RSMcCain. But now you and Baldwin?

Fuck ’em.

Andrew
Andrew
6 months 3 days ago
A note on “missing tweets”. Given the technology used in Twitter, it’s possible, even likely, that different users will be out of sync with each other. The database that Twitter uses doesn’t operate in the same way as the one your bank or credit card uses. In tech terms, it lacks “atomic transactions”. There are lots of good technical reasons for this, in an environment like Twitter or Facebook. Missing tweets can be a byproduct of this. Trust and Safety Council and Shadow Banning…yeh, those are the actions of people who want to control what you see and hear. Of… Read more »
Rob Crawford
Rob Crawford
6 months 3 days ago

TBH, banks don’t use “atomic transactions”, either. They use eventual consistency — which is why you can be overdrawn.

TRX
TRX
6 months 3 days ago

No, but the messages should show up eventually. If they don’t show up, they’re losing data, either through bad design, incompetence, or deliberate action.

Austin
Austin
6 months 3 days ago

It’s sad because I don’t use Facebook and I always enjoyed the beat downs you administered during your loading screens. But the whole place is getting more and more toxic. Turning into a massive echo chamber.

Emery Calame
6 months 3 days ago

Larry, thought you might get a kick out of this! Your age of blimps that almost was might be on its way back for a 2nd try.

Captain Comic
Captain Comic
6 months 3 days ago

I don’t twit (twoot? twhut?), and I’ve only been a point on two twit-storms.

I checked. Dori Smith’s OUTRAGE about my freebie table offerings is still there.

So we can all sleep safe, I guess.

LIBERAL bias?

Pffft…don’t be silly.

Smashmaster
Smashmaster
6 months 3 days ago

I just deleted my account. Adios Twitter!

Emery Calame
6 months 2 days ago

Same. It stinks in there.

Wil
Wil
6 months 3 days ago

I will bet you that after the 2016 November Presidential election, Twitter ( if they are still around) would issue a massive apology to all its users stating they still stand for free speech and freedom of expression but will blame a large group of users( read conservatives) who had caused emotional and mental anguish to the vulnerable members( read- SJWs and Progs) that caused Twitter to ban these users from using Twitter.

al
al
6 months 3 days ago
Good riddance, Twitter. Many high-profile users are discovering just how pointless the site is. It sucks that certain political groups get the shaft, I know, but if it’s any consolation, I can name dozens of big-name liberals who either never joined or quit the service out of frustration. Stephen Fry quit earlier this month, for example. And artists and creatives will hopefully redirect their focus to crafting remarkable content–which is the way it was before these digital panopticons squirmed their way into the public. Even the New York Times forces its contributors to have Twitter accounts (which certainly explains their… Read more »
JSchuler
JSchuler
6 months 3 days ago

“I just can’t think of a way to save the site, and I don’t care.”

I have $20 set aside, so in about five years I’ll just buy Twitter and give it a go. Yeah, it’ll still be a total waste of money, but if I totally screw up I should still be able to recoup a fiver out of it.

jic
jic
6 months 2 days ago

“Stephen Fry quit earlier this month, for example.”

Doesn’t he do that at least four times a year?

Cole
Cole
6 months 3 days ago

twitter is turning into tumblr

Austin
Austin
6 months 3 days ago

When I’ve wanted to ask a question or bring something to your attention, I’ve used Twitter in the past. Where should we do that now? I hope the only answer isn’t Facebook.

The beard with no name
The beard with no name
6 months 3 days ago

Trashy twits tweet truthless taunts to tout tarnished tabernacle.

trackback

[…] #FREESTACY: Larry Correia, shadow-banned, abandons twitter. RIP Twitter. […]

toadold
toadold
6 months 3 days ago

If company insiders are shorting the stock they run a risk of criminal prosecution for insider trading. Also once a company gets a stink on their product name even when you change the name the stink will be talked about by someone. Twitter is just the Internet equivalent of a vanity press now. They’ll find there are not enough SJW to keep them afloat by banner add sales.

trackback
6 months 3 days ago

[…] IS PC: RIP Twitter. Larry Correia is shadow banned, says “Twitter can take it’s Orwellian “Trust and Safety […]

Shatter
Shatter
6 months 3 days ago

Twitter… Turning into the new Tumblr.

With a profit loss to match.

6 months 3 days ago
“The first division of labor, in pre-history, was based on sex: men hunted, women built the villages, took care of children, and farmed. Women collectively controlled the land, language, culture, and the communities. Men were able to conquer women with the weapons that they developed for hunting when it became clear that women were leading a more stable, peaceful, and desirable existence. We do not know exactly how this conquest took place, but it is clear that the original imperialism was male over female: the male claiming the female body and her service as his territory (or property).” “…heterosexuality is… Read more »
rokshox
rokshox
6 months 3 days ago

I deleted my account. 1900+ legit followers.

Scott Malcomson
Scott Malcomson
6 months 3 days ago

Gonna miss ya. Personally, I plan to ride this thing down like Major Kong on the bomb, screamin’ a rebel yell all the way.

6 months 3 days ago
In my opinion there should be Senate hearings with a view to shutting down every women’s & gender studies programs at universities and colleges in America. Every member of such faculties should be fired and the whole done under federal hate crime legislation and for violating Title IX for group defamation, hate speech, sexual harassment, racial incitement and incitement to hate men. All such depts. should be reorganized from the ground up. Since these people are so addicted to diversity, let all such programs be ruled by a committee half GOP, half Dem, half women, half men. They would all… Read more »
trackback

[…] (Mon­ster­Hunter­Na­tion) Larry Cor­reia and Adam Bald­win both forced off Twit­ter after RS McCain […]

6 months 3 days ago

Brianna Wu assures us that nothing is wrong:

That is one fugly dude

Brianna Wu – what a sweet little tart of a gal. LOL

Slim W.
Slim W.
6 months 3 days ago

Here’s the problem: the Left is coordinating with government to silence dissent. They say “well, Twitter is a private company, so they can enforce whatever rules they like.”

The Left is attacking on two fronts: on the public front, they use “hate speech” laws to get dissenting talk out of the public view. On the private front, they use “ownership”.

How long till they come after your internet connection? How long till your ability to “communicate” is destroyed?

Radioactive
Radioactive
6 months 3 days ago

the only trigger I respect is the one on my Colt (my S&W too)

6 months 3 days ago
And the Usual Suspects weigh in: File 770: “snowcrash on February 23, 2016 at 3:29 am said: (snip) (12) – (15) – Well, this is a thing. It’s got that perfect mix of “conservatives/ libertarians” who hold up as totems of their beliefs the practice of being an arsehole. Put this together with them also holding sacred the view that a private enterprise should somehow be obligated to provide a platform.as well as the belief that being criticised, ridiculed, and ignored is somehow “censorship”, and you’ve got a really unique breed of… whatever they are. Is pro-entitlement conserva-libertarianism a thing… Read more »
6 months 3 days ago
“All men benefit from structural sexism. Men bragging about moderate views doesn’t make them intelligent, it makes them unaware of privilege.” – Brianna Wu And if I push back against that, morons like Wu consider that “harassment.” Meanwhile, millions of unknown men without names claiming to be moderate is proof of a lack of intelligence and unawareness of their oppressive privilege, which in this goof’s mind is neither inflammatory nor supremacist. Good thing a guy who thinks he’s a woman has sized up reality for us and chimed in on the side of Twitter today. And of course, here’s the… Read more »
The Phantom
The Phantom
6 months 2 days ago
Have you been following the Oshiro witch hunt over there? I have never seen a member of a protected group under-bussed faster and harder than that poor woman Selina Rosen. What a pack of rabid dogs, holy Toledo. None of them seem to have the self-awareness to realize the lone Sad Puppy gun nut racist/bigot/homphobe (me) is the one sticking up for the witch they want to burn. I’m happy to let them rage on, after all The Phantom exists only on the Interwebz, they can’t get at me in real life. I don’t know how Larry and Brad put… Read more »
6 months 1 day ago

By the way, there is no bigger fan of N.K. Jemisin than Mark Oshiro.

Surprise!

Reziac
Reziac
6 months 1 day ago

I’ve been reading it too — and shaking my head. A generation ago (“in my day, sonny”) he’d have told her to knock it off, people would laugh about it later, and that would have been the end of it. Now? It’s a full-scale production with three-part harmony and an anvil chorus.

What’s really hilarious are the holes some of the commenters dug themselves while falling all over themselves apologizing for not sufficiently recognising someone’s $ingroupness.

Emery Calame
6 months 2 days ago

“Just listen – it’s not complicated.”

But I have listened to the “TALES O’ SYSTEMIC SEXISM, and it’s not just complicated, it’s dogmatic, paranoid, rejects reality, and prone to becoming incoherent when examined in any sort of detail by any honest, insightful, analytical, or generally life- experienced person. In trying to use academia to imply an automatic position of credibility to feminist views, feminism has succeeded only in making the humanities academia seem fragile, gullible, easily intimidated, incompetent, poorly read, and pathologically obsessed with fads.

6 months 2 days ago

Aaaand over at Vile they’re very upset that Larry made a comment about the Oshiro thing without doing research first. This, coming from people who by their own admission, comment on what we Puppies say without reading what we actually said. For example, this week a whole bunch of them got mad at MGC for “insulting” Katherine Rusch, based on the one paragraph Glyer excerpted there. Anybody who knows MGC knows how ludicrous that statement is.

SPQR
SPQR

They lie. A lot.

David Jack Smith
David Jack Smith
6 months 3 days ago

What we need is a new FREE SPEECH platform similar to the user interface of Twitter..

PLUS the ability to IMPORT all your Twitter followers like one does with importing your sat IE browser bookmarks to Firefox browser.

That would clean up. If technically possible.

6 months 3 days ago

But how do we keep the platform from falling into the hands of the Seriously Judgemental Weasels?

matthew
matthew
6 months 3 days ago

Keep it privately owned by a small group? What would the capital costs be, anyway?

And would it be designed to profit, or be a community service?

6 months 2 days ago

That is the true question. An eye would have to be kept out for their entryists.

Hcombs
Hcombs
6 months 3 days ago

No great loss from my view.
I never tweeted nor followed anyone who did.
Loved your books – keep up the good writing in formats longer than 144 characters.

Timothy Hall
Timothy Hall
6 months 3 days ago

Now that Twatter is out for most of us…do you still believe that Cruz will win, i think i remember you making that prediction much earlier. Here in Texas, March 1 will be the primary day and I think Trump will win here, not because he is liked but more a message to the establishment..oh and I love your books just wish there was less time between them 🙂

Fruitbat44
Fruitbat44
6 months 2 days ago

Oh dear. As an aside I am going to stop using the term SJW and revert back to PC types. Social Justice Warrior sounds cool, and also suggests that they might be standing up for something awesome, like women being able to own property. There’s nothing cool sounding about Political Correctness type. To me that sounds more like the sort of little Napoleon who’d serve on a “Trust and Safety Council”

Feather Blade
Feather Blade
6 months 2 days ago

“Social Justice Warrior” sounds so uncool that even the SJWs themselves want people to stop calling them that.

BigFire
BigFire
6 months 2 days ago

We didn’t invent the term. They did.

Radioactive
Radioactive

Stupid Jackass Wymnz

Severely Jaundiced Wankers? 😉

6 months 2 days ago

“KKK” works fine for me.

Brian McGoldrick
Brian McGoldrick
6 months 9 hours ago

Social Justice Totalitarian.

jic
jic
6 months 20 hours ago

I’ve been hearing ‘crybully’ a lot lately. It sums them up pretty well.

DaveP.
DaveP.
6 months 19 hours ago

Try “Social Justice Wanker”. Same initials, better description.

6 months 14 hours ago
This entire social justice affair the last 5 years is the most remarkable example of systematic institutionalized hate speech I have ever seen anywhere in my life. And they never stop. And they never take their foot of the gas. In 100 years of SFF in America there is nothing that can remotely compare to this. They are also the most singularly unaware people I’ve ever encountered in my life. How do people get this stupid? How does such a cult form? How can they believe their own ridiculous lies even after you’ve shown them to be lies? How can… Read more »
trackback

[…] So has Larry Correia. “Their stock price has been tanking.” […]

trackback

[…] noted by Larry Correia, Twitter is on its last legs, or at least it is if you care about free speech or are to the right of Literally Wu. Wu is, of […]

KHorn
KHorn
6 months 2 days ago

I’ve avoided social media completely precisely because I knew the west coast lefty technocrats would do exactly this. Like the lilies of the field I Facebook not, neither do I tweet.

trackback
[…] Monster Hunter NationThey’ve been unverifying conservatives, and outright banning conservative journalists. Then there were rumors of “shadow banning” where people would post, but their followers wouldn’t see it in their timelines. So it’s like you’re talking to a room that you think has 9,000 people in it, but when the lights come on you’ve been wasting time talking to an empty room.For the record, I don’t know if that’s what happened to me or not. Some of my posts have just disappeared from my timeline entirely. Other tweets seem to show up for some followers, but not others, and… Read more »
Shawna
Shawna
6 months 2 days ago
Well, dang. That’s unfortunate. You were probably like half the reason I’m even on Twitter lately. But Twitter had been doing things to irritate me for a while, specifically not showing all posts from people I follow. So here’s my question: If one is an author, and especially if one is a little-known and/or self-published author (not me yet, but could be in the future), is being on Facebook and Twitter a necessary evil? If so much of one’s success as an author is marketing, and so much of marketing these days is social media, how necessary is it to… Read more »
BornLibre
BornLibre
6 months 2 days ago

I’ve had enough too. I’m switching over to freezepeach.xyz They have two rules: no child porn and don’t do anything that could get the owners dragged into court. That’s it and that’s all.

Achillea
Achillea
6 months 1 day ago

Never joined Twitter (or Facebook, for that matter). freezepeach looks interesting, though, and reading their terms of use, I really like the cut of their jib. Signed up and will start figuring it out (I’m now following you, I think, whatever that means). I’ll even throw some money at them if they’ll come up with a droid app.

Bugmaster
Bugmaster
6 months 2 days ago
I don’t use Twitter, so it’s just an abstract issue for me. As I see it, they’re a corporation, they can do whatever they want. If they want to turn their platform into an SJW-only service, they can do that. If they want to restrict access only to certified Italian plumbers, they can do that too. Yes, they will lose money, but hey — it’s their money, they can spend it however they want. That said, I’m still a pinko commie leftist, and IMO in this case the capitalist model doesn’t really work. What we need is some sort of… Read more »
SPQR
SPQR
6 months 2 days ago

Twitter is already losing big money.

trackback

[…] I don’t know about this being attributable to incompetence. Speaking as a software engineer, I know that I would out of my head worried if a significant number of my highp profile clients suddenly were not visible on my software. The twitter platform is mature, and stable. It’s been around for a long while now and the code has matured. […]

6 months 2 days ago
From Vile 770: “Twitter is a PRIVATE company and is entitled to do anything it damn well pleases, including changing its Terms of Service so that it can only be used by disabled trans PoC people who make over $100M a year (which would be a bad business model, but perfectly legal). If you don’t like it, you can leave, as the right-wingers are so fond of saying. The Sacred All-Knowing Free Market Hath Spoken. I don’t think they want the government telling Twitter how to run its for-profit business. The First Amendment (or similar governmental guarantees of free speech)… Read more »
Tesh
Tesh

As Iowahawk notes:

“Twitter is a private firm & perfectly free to ban/shadowban me or anyone else. It’s not like I’m asking them to bake me a gay wedding cake.”

6 months 2 days ago
And notice how that culture routinely shifts the argument to something we are not arguing, which is the legal aspect. From what I’ve seen, and also what I think, the issue is one of an expectation of fair play that has been suddenly withdrawn. For example, let’s look at the Tiptree Awards at WisCon. They have always stated their gender agenda and so rank and file genre writers don’t feel angry or discriminated against when they are not considered. However, the Nebulas and Hugos is a different matter; they have always been a come-one, come-all award. Now – suddenly –… Read more »
Arathian
Arathian
6 months 2 days ago

Just wait until these fuckers piss off Squirrel Girl. Then they are going to have tons of trouble on their hands.

steveH
steveH
5 months 30 days ago

Because the corporation is stifling the free speech of people he doesn’t like. Simple as that.

trackback

[…] Larry Correia made this Oshiro-related comment in his R.I.P. Twitter post. […]