Sad Puppies Update: The Nominees Announced and Why I Refused My Nomination

The Hugo nominees have been announced. As you’ve probably already heard Sad Puppies suggested candidates showed up everywhere. We got nominations for dozens of talented, deserving people who would normally have been ignored or shunned.

I just want to make a comment about why I’m personally not on the list. I was contacted by the administrators on 3/20/15 and informed that Monster Hunter Nemesis was a finalist for best novel. I emailed them back the same day and turned it down. Whoever was next in line was then moved up to be a finalist in my place.

I refused the nomination for one simple reason. The Sad Puppies campaign isn’t about any one person. I felt that ultimately my presence would be a distraction from the overall mission.

The reason I refused my nomination is that as long as the guy who started Sad Puppies stayed in, the more our opposition would try to dismiss the whole campaign as being all about my ego, or some selfish personal desire to get award recognition. Nope. I really meant it when I said I don’t care about winning anything for myself. I hope this proves that once and for all.

To the fans who voted for me, I’m sorry for dropping out. But I want you to understand that I consider making the award represent more of fandom to be a far more important prize than another rocket ship lapel pin (I actually never even got the one from last year). Now I’m going to support the rest of our slate and read all of the nominated works to judge them fairly, and I’d ask for you to do the same.

This is just one little battle in an ongoing culture war between artistic free expression and puritanical bullies who think they represent *real* fandom. In the long term I want writers to be free to write whatever they want without fear of social justice witch hunts, I want creators to not have to worry about silencing themselves to appease the perpetually outraged, and I want fans to enjoy themselves without having some entitled snob lecture them about how they are having fun wrong. I want our shrinking genre to grow. I think if we can get back to where “award nominated” isn’t a synonym for “preachy crap” to the most fans, we’ll do it.

That’s what I want. Strategically, we get there faster without them trying to spin it as all about me.

Again, Monster Hunter Nation, I apologize if this offends any of you who voted for my novel. I just feel this is the best thing we can do to combat Puppy Related Sadness.

Now, if you’ll excuse the brief post, today is actually a religious holiday for me, and I’d much rather be hanging out with my awesome family than surfing the internet to see what vile things they’re saying about me and my friends.

I wish the best of luck to all of the nominees.

A letter to the SMOFs, moderates, and fence sitters from the author who started Sad Puppies
Sad Puppies Update: The Melt Down Continues

403 Comments on "Sad Puppies Update: The Nominees Announced and Why I Refused My Nomination"

Jon Bromfield

Truly a class act.

Thank you, sir. And we do understand. And appreciate.

Expendable Henchman
1 year 1 month ago

Happy Easter and well done!

Very artful move on turning down the nomination, too.

1 year 1 month ago

I tip my hat to you, sir, for taking the high road and turning down the nomination. You talk the talk and walk the walk and there’s nothing wrong with that. I’m looking forward to reading Nemesis as I’m gradually catching up on your work.

Ed Powell
1 year 1 month ago

It’s too bad. Nemesis was really good. I understand your rationale, but there is no inconsistency in saying, “I want good works that have been historically overlooked because they are actually fun to read be nominated” and recognizing that your work is in that category too.

1 year 1 month ago

ok, you made your point. now let us nominate you next year, ok?

Wes S.
1 year 1 month ago

Enjoy the holiday, Larry. I’m taking my parents out for Easter dinner later tonight, and just surfing the ‘Net in the meantime. And trying (somewhat unsuccessfully, alas) to stay away from anything angry or political, in keeping with the spirit of the season.

That said: Over at Tor.com right now, they’re in a state of shock.

Douglas B. Killings
1 year 1 month ago

Well, they got three books into the Best Novel catagory (Ancillary Sword, Dark Between the Stars, and Goblin Emperor). Ok, one of those was not the book they wanted, but still. They SHOULD have nothing to complain about (but you know they will).

And I’m sorry, Tor-ies, but Kevin J. Anderson has deserved one for years. Now to get Alan Dean Foster a nomination….

Douglas B. Killings
1 year 1 month ago

Sorry, Tor got in two. For some reason I thought Ancillary Sword was Tor, not Orbit.

Jack Dandy
1 year 1 month ago

Unrelated dude here. What you’re doing is a really selfless and just plain neat.

What are your books about?

Brooks Richards
1 year 1 month ago

Larrys books are about characters you like and care about kicking the ever loving crap out of something then shooting it in the face. But in a funny way.

Jungshin
1 year 1 month ago

Monsters are real, cowboy up kill them, get paid. And 1940’s film noir magic superheroes save the world from Nipponese invasion on giant dirigibles. And secret government anti terror hunt em down and kill em stories. And soul searching honor bound ” I will do what is RIGHT, no matter what” fantasy ( not out but you can read the earc). Pure awesome is what they are about.

I have been lurking since before SP1, gafiated YEARS ago and really I just want to say thank you to you, Larry and Brad for what you are doing. SF is supposed to be about the ” what if” and follow the story where it takes you. And I like to watch tyrants heads splode

flyergrad
1 year 1 month ago

Plus, Mr Correia’s book Monster Hunter International has THE BEST opening lines EVER!

Expendable Henchman

I second the nomination.

1 year 1 month ago

I am both impressed and unsurprised. And fuck you spell check its a word cause of how I said it and all.

Michael Maier
1 year 1 month ago

Larry, I wish you’d stayed in. And not for any statement, but simply because NEMESIS is an amazing book. I do not say that lightly. I do not even LIKE Franks (as a “person”, he’s a strongly-effective character). He’s a right bastard, I think the Brit phrase goes.

Expendable Henchman
1 year 1 month ago

Remember, Franks sees all humanity and knows that the vast majority of humanity are going to heaven after they die. And Franks goes back to eternal torment.

Meanwhile, if the MCB fails, heaven won’t exist any more because Cthulu and company will destroy God, angels and heaven.

So kill them, and they go to bliss, or let the idiot humans live and blab, and the universe is destroyed. Pretty easy choice for Franks to make, and I agree with it.

Remember, Franks doesn’t have an iota of faith. He KNOWS.

Jared Anjewierden
1 year 1 month ago

If we’re really lucky we’ll get some TOS style logic bombs from the more rabid Larry haters.

I’m actually sad 3-Body Problem didn’t get in. I didn’t nominate it (because I haven’t read it yet) but what I’m hearing about it is all amazingly good.

Ancillary Sword… maybe she got better with her second novel.

Goblin Emperor… don’t know much about it beyond the fact that my library system has only 5 copies.

(Solid average is 10-12 for the 18 branches)

Len
1 year 1 month ago

You won’t be disappointed with 3-Body Problem … Cixin Liu approaches a situation which is often written about *badly* (I won’t spoil it for anybody here by revealing it) from a very different direction, at least partially because of his world view.

Now we have to get the author to write a story in the MHI universe, it would be a *great* read 🙂

Steve Gaalema
1 year 1 month ago

The 3-Body Problem has been nominated for the Prometheus Award. You can vote for it by becoming a member of the Libertarian Futurist Society:

1 year 1 month ago

Well played, Larry, well, played.

And I mean that in the best possible way.

Nick Gardner
1 year 1 month ago

We’re going to force you to accept the nomination next year. selfish jerk mumble mumble

And for anyone who wants to vote for the Hugos, here’s where you get the supporting membership:

Astro
1 year 1 month ago

Thanks. I just bookmarked the link in my ‘Health’ folders, ’cause that’s where it belongs and that’s where I’ll find it.

Mrs. John C. Wright
1 year 1 month ago

I agree with the first commenter:

Truly classy.

1 year 1 month ago

Well played, sir. I’m proud of you.

1 year 1 month ago

Larry may not be getting a Hugo this year, but he’s got more George Washington Awards coming from me.

Douglas B. Killings
1 year 1 month ago

Thank you, sir. And I for one understand. But don’t expect us to not keep voting for you!

Dave W.
1 year 1 month ago

I’m a little bit bummed because I believe you truly deserve an award for Nemesis. I get it, though. It’s a brilliant tactical move to undermine the SJWs’ ridiculous arguments.

I hope things will improve to the point you can accept the next nomination. And yes, definitely good luck to all the other nominees! Happy Easter!

Ken Prescott
1 year 1 month ago

Larry, you are a class act.

SAD PUPPIES AKHBAR!

1 year 1 month ago

Not surprised, and even more impressed. . And the Narrative has already started: “the Hugos are broken”. . .

Jack Blount
1 year 1 month ago

I support your actions in this, and I will continue to vote with my wallet (Take my money!). Before I do any voting I will try to read all of the books that I can.

1 year 1 month ago

Larry, I know that recognition like this is important to a writer. All I can say is that I enjoy the body of your work. I devour it within hours / days of publishing. I will continue to do so because of the quality, storylines, imagination and talent. Thank You again from ViCAT MHI. Mg

Shawna
1 year 1 month ago

Totally understandable. I think that was a smart move, considering some of the accusations of ‘ballot stuffing’ certain people have been throwing around.

Kinda bummed that only a handful of the ones I nominated got on the ballot (and most of those were movies/TV) but I look forward to reading the various nominees and voting on them.

I haven’t done this before, so maybe someone can enlighten me. I didn’t get an e-mail about the nominations. Were we supposed to? Also, are we supposed to get copies of the various nominated things for voting? When is that supposed to happen?

Suburbanbanshee
1 year 1 month ago

1. Historically, the nominations are just announced. There will certainly be a list on your final ballot, and I think there’s usually a list with your voter packet of copies of works.

2. The Hugo Voter Packet will be coming out “as soon as it is available,” according to the Hugo Awards website.

1 year 1 month ago

*salute* Thanks for being an upstanding human being, Larry.

Well, it’s down to Kevin J. and Jim Butcher for Best Novel for me; but I am CRYING at the slate for Dramatic Presentation Long Form. I ENJOYED ALL OF THOSE SO VERY, VERY MUCH. HOW COULD I POSSIBLY CHOOSE?!

Happy Easter, Larry, everyone.

Brian
1 year 1 month ago

Those I have already read but we will need to wait for our copies of the other books and read them to see if one of them deserves the award but I doubt they can beat “Parkour!”

1 year 1 month ago

Reason why Kevin and Jim’s stuff sits above the others is because I’ve read Skin Game and while I’ve not read this book by Kevin J I have enjoyed his other works previously. I will give the others a fair go to the best of my ability / time before casting my vote though.

I have talked about the ones I don’t think I could honestly vote on though, on my blog. (I don’t listen to podcasts/net radio for example.)

1 year 1 month ago

Captain America: The Winter Soldier was the better movie but Guardians of the Galaxy had rocketships. Decisions, decisions…

1 year 1 month ago

I loved them both but… Guardians grabbed me. Gotta love Captain America and the movie was solid. It was great. Absolutely.

Guardians, however, was SPLENDID. It was JOYFUL. It stands out in a way that the others don’t… sort of like Princess Bride. I think it’s just going to get better over time until we can all quote Rocket without half thinking about it.

1 year 1 month ago

Talking raccoon or Scarlet Johansson. Choose wisely.

1 year 1 month ago

I rather like Scarlet Johansson but it’s more a choice between the two Chrises…

Pratt or Evans…. Hmmmm….

Emily Nelson
1 year 1 month ago

How can you forget Groot? Robert Redford made an awesome villain in Winter Soldier.

1 year 1 month ago

Other plus for Captain America. Can’t hate a movie where Robert Redford gets shot between the eyes.

1 year 1 month ago

I just watched Interstellar last night, and it was like watching a movie in the grand tradition of classic sci-fi, but with more hope and grittiness than I expected. It was also so human-positive, it made me really happy.

I’m totally torn between, the Cap, Guardians, Interstellar and Edge, in no particular order. All of them were very good and I will have great difficulty in deciding.

Jared Anjewierden

I nominated Big Hero 6. *Shrug*

Of the ballot I’d say either Guardians or Interstellar, though they are all good.

keranih
1 year 1 month ago

Was ‘Snowpiercer’ not eligible? I am really surprised that it didn’t make the short list.

Mike Glyer
1 year 1 month ago

I respect the sacrifice, I can say that.

1 year 1 month ago

Dear Mr Glyer, you and I have differed in the past, and for my contumely toward you, I apologize. You have a courtesy and common honesty which is to be admired wherever found. Thank you.

1 year 1 month ago

I completely understand why you are doing this and want to thank you for making such a bold decision.

You have, essentially, cockblocked all the trolls, and I can’t help but love you for it.

1 year 1 month ago

You are a gentleman and a scholar and a good judge of bad whiskey.
Have a Blessed Easter.

1 year 1 month ago

Larry, I loved Monster Hunter Nemesis. I agree, it’s one of the best things you’ve written, if not the best. I really, really loved it.

All that said, I think doing what you did, and when you did, was a smart move. You declined before a lot of the “This is all about Larry getting a Hugo” stuff blew up, which means they can’t reasonably justify taking credit for that.

Well played, sir. Well played.

In the meantime, a lot of really good writers are nominated. I really enjoy Butcher’s work, and loved Lines of Departure.

The fact that John C. Wright got about a bazillion nominations this year is just awesome. 😀

Ken
1 year 1 month ago

So, you’ll not object to Son of the Black Sword getting nominated next year, right? Or shall you forever be at the forefront, taking the hits for the rest of the Sad Puppies slate?

I’ve got to say that I’m greatly impressed – not that my approval (or that of any mortal man) was what you sought. Hell, awards or no, keep writing and I’ll keep buying.

1 year 1 month ago

Kevin Standlee wants the “‘The TAR Babies'” Awards. (They Also Ran). Yes, he actually wrote that.

“They’re Also Racists” sounds better. I’m surprised he didn’t propose the Sambo Awards. What an idiot.

So just have an Alt-Hugo Awards but disemvowel it cuz SJWs are clever like dat. They’re thinking of holding a separate ceremony. I just had one right now. And the winner Issssssssssssssssss!!!! Monster Hunter Nemesis!!!

(Jazz hands, jazz hands, jazz hands, etc.)

Anyway, here’s the translation of the results if SJWs can understand this simple thought: Leave us in peace and we’ll do the same for you. Keep up the rabble-rousing and you’re liable to get more prank calls. We didn’t start this but we’re liable to finish it.

DaveP.
1 year 1 month ago

Um… he DOES understand where the phrase “Tar Baby” came from, right?
Oy, my head.

1 year 1 month ago

DaveP: Yes of course I do. I never for a moment thought anyone would take it seriously. Sheesh.

DaveP.
1 year 1 month ago

Nice to know you’re just tasteless, not ignorant

1 year 1 month ago

Larry, you are The Man! It’s been an honor and a pleasure to be part of this project with you!

ratseal
1 year 1 month ago

Brad, thank you for organizing this – well done. However, why do you still post at MakingSlight? No one there is going to listen politely – I expect that ‘Cat’ is “Cat Rambo’ the current vice pres. of SFWA, no?

The narrative on the reason that SP3 won is being shaped to be that ‘GG’ came to vote’ and ‘they are the wrong kind of fans’.

The next move would appear to be addressing that ML posters to change the rules for 2017. I expect that the keepers to the key for the in-crowd, led by the SFWA, will organize to that end.

1 year 1 month ago

“GamerGate came to vote” is a rallying cry that only appeals to the SJW’s who have already shown themselves to be outnumbered this year. The typical SP voter probably sees nothing wrong with it, because they rightly don’t believe the hype from anti-GG SJW’s.

Jared Anjewierden
1 year 1 month ago

And from what I’ve seen… they didn’t. Not in any significant numbers though.

Given all the stuff they’re saying about GG though that could well change for the final ballot.

1 year 1 month ago

I tend to agree that Making Slight is more or less a bottomless hole into which I have occasionally cast my nickels during this whole brouhaha. Nevertheless, even when they’re jerks, they can’t combat a reasonable argument. While they pound their plastic forks and knives on their high chair trays, screaming and spitting, I can still be an adult. Maturity wins. Today, the opponents of SP3 staged one of the most epic toddler meltdowns in genre history. And convinced precisely nobody that they care about the field; they just care about having their way.

shaun wilso
1 year 1 month ago

It is rare and I feel awesome that an author can stick to his guns and do something truly selfless to prove his point, and show who the bigger man is. So Mister Correia to you I say Semper Fidelius.

George Pratt
1 year 1 month ago

I am sorry you dropped out because I was looking forward to voting for Nemesis.

Nick Gardner
1 year 1 month ago

I’ve got a solution guys. Next year Kate doesn’t put Larry on the slate. If Vox can get enough votes without being on the slate, I’m pretty sure Larry can.

Douglas B. Killings

“Damien Walter ‏@damiengwalter 2m2 minutes ago
There’s a lot to be said about these #hugoawards and I’ll be laying out my in depth analysis next week for The Guardian.”

I sense another Correia frisking on the horizon.

av willis
1 year 1 month ago

Ppph, Walter wishes it was a fisking, he’ll have to settle for a fisking 🙂

1 year 1 month ago

Didn’t he lose the keys to his brain?

Douglas B. Killings

damn spellcheck.

PavePusher

Oooooooooooo….!!!!! Shiney!

1 year 1 month ago

Honest… I thought you meant it to be frisking. I mean… frisking ought to lead to fisking… right? Cuz someone gets frisky…

1 year 1 month ago

And we thought English comedy died with Benny Hill.

deadcenter
1 year 1 month ago

By “in depth” he means with the philosophical depth of a pancake.

SBP
1 year 1 month ago

Ah, but what are all the “Larry Correia is desperate, DESPERATE to win a Hugo” trolls going to do now?

Well-played, sir.

Christopher M. Chupik
1 year 1 month ago

They’ll keep repeating their ignorant misinformation. A few might correct their views, but not many I think.

Happy Easter.

You are definitely a man of his convictions, I applaud your doing this, I’m sure it was not easy.

The world needs more people like you Larry. No matter how the SJW’s and their ilk may try to spin this, you have shown true class and will be remembered for it. And hopefully, maybe some will see the light and turn away from their hateful ways.

Which I’m sure for you, would be the best award for this Easter.

[…] Correia’s Monster Hunter: Nemesis was nominated but he refused the nomination. Read more about it on his blog. While I am disappointed, I understand and accept the reasons behind the refusal. He made my […]

Suburbanbanshee
1 year 1 month ago

1. Sad Puppies are happy today!

2. It used to be more common to refuse nomination for various good reasons. This was a good reason, although it’s sad that things have gotten to such a pass that a sacrifice like this is a good plan.

3. It looks like it really is a honor just to be nominated, in a diverse competitive awards race like this one. Congratulations to all the honored nominees out there!

1 year 1 month ago

It wasn’t diverse. Shitty neighborhood.

“The Book Smugglers @booksmugglers · 47m 47 minutes ago We have a ballot full of white males EVERYWHERE. We went back a few years now.”

Satori
1 year 1 month ago

Of course we did! Back towards the time when the Hugos meant something. One can only hope we keep moving in that direction.

Alex
1 year 1 month ago

Vox and Larry get nominated, they bitch. Vox and Larry don’t get nominated, they bitch. Yawn.

1 year 1 month ago

I’m beginning to suspect they might have a thing about white males.

Suburbanbanshee
1 year 1 month ago

I toast you, sir. Rarely in the history of fandom has anyone spent so much time looking at such annoying stuff, just to disinfect it with some sunlight. You are a man of fortitude and a fan of determination.

Enjoy today’s breath of fresh air, because you helped open those windows.

ftumch
1 year 1 month ago

“You know, I’ve never said this to you, and I read your posts all the time in various places.
“I toast you, sir.”

Me too.

Hadn’t hardly read any SFF for 25 years. Now I own 6 Larry Correia books. I blame you May, you bastard.

1 year 1 month ago

Glad to have the company and for Larry to act as a central clearing house from which to stage a counter-attack. None of us like to be targeted by these bullies just for waking up in the morning.

LC has emboldened the quiet and voiceless to come forward and join the fun and provided a platform from which to do do, and a lot more besides. That has proven infectious. People don’t like bullies and more and more outsiders are convinced by our simple truths, our willingness to do homework and use actual quotes.

I just want to be left alone and not demonized by what are essentially an organized group of liars. People like Scalzi, Hines and elsewhere Shanley Kane and Brianna Wu and Sarkeesian are not sympathetic people but come off as broken people on some sort of revenge kick.

“I toast you, sir.”

Me too. You have a stomach of cast iron, Mr May

1 year 1 month ago

Lord, grant Mr. May life and strength, and let not his enemies prevail against him.

Suburbanbanshee
1 year 1 month ago

Well, _this_ year it is pretty darned diverse. I look at the nominees and say, “Wow, what a lot of great choices! How different these stories are from each other! What a lot of amazingly different sf personalities and writers and artists and podcasters!”

Of course, the PC meaning of diverse is the exact opposite, I know…

ATTENTION: Book Smugglers:

“All hate groups have beliefs or practices that attack or malign an entire class of people, typically for their immutable characteristics.” – Southern Poverty Law Center.

1 year 1 month ago

Except for those white males who are, you know, women or Asian or whatever the hell DNA cocktail Larry is…

Douglas B. Killings
1 year 1 month ago

> 2. It used to be more common to refuse nomination for various good reasons.

The most common good reason was because the nominee had already won previously and wanted to give others a chance. I don’t think anyone has refused for fan politics reasons before.

Elizabeth
1 year 1 month ago

The fact that you put the cause ahead of your own successes is exactly why you get the support you have. As united as the Hugo people claim to be, they are clearly all top ready to stomp on each other to get their prize.

Way to be Larry! And enjoy Conference weekend 🙂

Tiago Becerra Paolini
1 year 1 month ago

At first I was a bit disappointed to hear that you turned down the nomination, but at the end I understood your decision and I can also say that you convinced me that it was the best course of action.

It is very easy to get “prestigious” awards and titles, one just needs to dance according to the music. But it takes real courage and and virtuousness to turn down all of this in name of the greater good. Classy.

I also would like to take the opportunity to say that you were the one who last year made I start reading novels again. Last time before that was in 2002, when I was studying for the entrance exam of university. But the MHI series made me read for the pleasure of reading a good story, and I am also had read other authors since them.

Thanks!

Austin
1 year 1 month ago

I’m going to echo the other comments of being sorry not to see you on the ballot while at the same time understanding why you did it. Twas a noble sacrifice for the good of puppies everywhere. Wendell would be proud.

S1AL
1 year 1 month ago

Damn shame. Of everything I’ve read by you, Nemesis is at the top of my list for literary merit.

Karen Miller
1 year 1 month ago

A principled stand, Larry. Thank you.

Robert Allaband
1 year 1 month ago

Is there enough hazmat crews in the world to cover all the hazmat sites from all the SJW’s heads exploding?

SBP
1 year 1 month ago

I see that the same editor who enjoys marching in Stalinist parades is having a hissy because some GamerGaters might allegedly have been involved.

‘Cause the GGers are obviously WAY worse than the folks who murdered a hundred million people. Somehow. In his head.

Christopher M. Chupik
1 year 1 month ago

Empress Teresa is saying the GGs were brought in by Torgersen “to wreck” the Hugos, but the GGs only became aware of this en masse the past week, as far as I know.

SBP
1 year 1 month ago

As VD noted on Twitter, if GG had really been involved in a significant way, there would have been 20,000 votes, not 1,800.

Once again we see their grossly inflated sense of self-importance at work.

Maybe they should just embrace the butthurt and stop escalating at this point?

Christopher M. Chupik
1 year 1 month ago

No. Sarkeesian was ranting that GG had no place anywhere, including SF. They will ride this one all the way to the ground, like Slim Pickens on his A-Bomb.

Nathan
1 year 1 month ago

Wu, actually. She was slinging her husband’s four Hugos around like it conferred her status. It wouldn’t surprise me if we did get some GG votes because of that.

Dave W.

Hah! It’s on her own head, then! 😀

Christopher M. Chupik
1 year 1 month ago

If GG wasn’t on our side before, they certainly are now.

1 year 1 month ago

” She was slinging her husband’s four Hugos around like it conferred her status. ”

Oh, God, a “hollywood wife.” I SO had my fill of them back when I worked security in Bel Air.

Christopher M. Chupik
1 year 1 month ago

CORRECTION: It was “Megpie71” made the above statement, not TNH.

[…] noreply@blogger.com (Vox) Larry Correia was nominated in Best Novel for NEMESIS, but elected to decline the nomination:The Hugo nominees have been announced. As you’ve probably already heard Sad Puppies suggested […]

MC
1 year 1 month ago

So impressed. Grace is something seriously lacking in this SJW train wreck. And given the day and the seriousness of this weekend for much larger reasons even more so. When we meet I will have a box of 45-70 for you.

1 year 1 month ago

James May: I suggested something that didn’t include “Hugo Award” in its name for people who wanted to do something regarding the top-fifteen “They Also Ran” nominees. That’s for legal (service mark) reasons: WSFS objects to anyone using its registered service mark to promote awards that aren’t The Hugo Award®.

1 year 1 month ago

I understand. SJWs have trademarked racist comments, like “white privilege” and “white savior.”

Nathan
1 year 1 month ago

Why? Doesn’t that diminish the noms and the award winner? I fail to see how a “they were considered, but…” does anything, especially since Hugo wins and noms appear to not have any effect on sales.

1 year 1 month ago

Nathan: There’s nothing stopping people from setting up any sort of award they want with any criteria of any sort they desire. But they cannot use the intellectual property of someone else to do so. (Analogy: you can invent and promote a cola soft drink. You cannot call it “Coca-Cola.” You can’t even call it “Not Really Coca-Cola.” Someone owns the trademark, and it’s not you.

I’ve always said, many times, that anyone who thinks the Hugo Awards are broken beyond any redemption whatsoever should actually set up Real Award run the way they think Real Awards should be run. Indeed, I welcome people doing so, as long as they don’t use any of WSFS’s trade/service marks like “Hugo Award,” the Hugo Award logo, or the Hugo Award Trophy rocket.

Nathan
1 year 1 month ago

To be honest, I might have misread what you were saying. I read it as making a Consideration (TM) label based off of the top fifteen vote getters in the nomination process.

Brian Hurrel
1 year 1 month ago

I won The Mighty Samson Award for Conspicuous Wordsmithery five years in a row!

1 year 1 month ago

Mr. Standlee, I apologize for calling you an idiot – really I do. I get carried away sometimes with anyone at R’lyeh’s House of Bats. I get the sense you’re not really part of this whole racial defamation culture.

If you have any contacts at WorldCon who are scratching their heads and saying what can we do about this, I can’t speak for anyone but myself. A mission statement might help. What I want is only one thing: for SJWs to knock off the racial incitement. Just… knock it off.

I mean… look what it’s gotten you. Is it really that precious? More than SFF? There’s people who throw rocks and there’s people who throw them back. See if you can understand which is which.

James May:

I apologize for calling you an idiot – really I do.

Thank you.

What I think people misunderstand when they see me riled up is that I’m not on the Sad Puppies “side,” or the so-called SJW’s “side” or anyone’s “side.” I’m on the Hugo Awards’ side. I’ve invested many years of my life as a volunteer for WSFS, have administered the Hugo Awards three times, chaired a World Science Fiction Convention, and am current Chairman of the only permanent body of the World Science Fiction Society. (Individual Worldcons aren’t permanent; each year’s convention is a one-time-only event.) I want things run legally, and I want the Worldcon as I know it to run smoothly for the benefit of its members.

Being accused of fraud when you’ve been part of one of the most open, transparent voting processes that I’ve ever encountered can really rankle.

Dave W.
1 year 1 month ago

Fair enough. Have you seen the posts Larry’s made here previously where he said, after looking at it, that he thought the Hugo voting was 100% honest?

1 year 1 month ago

Yes, I have, and I appreciate it. I also am one of the people who have said that nothing done this year was illegal.

However, I have a big problem with people who are convinced that there have been publishing companies, political activists, or Secret Masters of Fandom putting together solid slates of five candidates per category with an avowed intention of completely dominating a category. Anyone who thinks that has been routinely happening is fooling themselves. Such conspiracies do not happen. Administrators know how to spot those kinds of patterns, and they talk to each other.

Thus, claims that I’ve heard that “This sort of thing has been happening all along; we’re just doing it out in the open” are specious, in my opinion. The compilation of various recommendation lists (such as the ones I’ve administered for the Bay Area Science Fiction Association and published on the Hugo_Recommend LiveJournal) are not solid blocs of candidates; the very fact that there’s hardly ever the same number of recommendations as there are finalist positions on the ballot should be a sign of that. They are lists of “things we saw/read liked that we think are award-worthy and that we think you should check out as well,” and I think that’s a lot different than “here’s a solid slate of candidates put forward to legally attempt to dominate the choices of the electorate.”

The Hugo Award nominations have almost never been made by a majority of the electorate, but of a . (That’s different from the final ballot, where the system produces the candidate least-disliked by a majority of those members voting.) But SF fans have been so traditionally disorganized that this really has never produced solid blocs of candidates. The fact that the finalists have not been to the tastes of every member of WSFS doesn’t mean that they were the result of a conspiracy.

Dave W.
1 year 1 month ago

Like I said, fair enough. Larry used to be an auditor, he says everything is above-board, that’s good enough for me.

You might want to pay a visit to Making Light with your message. They’re losing their minds over there right now, threatening to start a No Award campaign.

1 year 1 month ago

You might want to pay a visit to Making Light with your message.

I am a participant in some of the discussions there, where I have drawn the ire of some for my excessively pedantic and dry tone.

But I’ll freely admit that I’m more attuned to the Nielsen Haydens (even when we disagree) because they have been working on Worldcons even longer than I have been. Both of them have spoken on matters before the WSFS Business Meeting have have in my opinion been constructive members of the Worldcon community. That doesn’t mean I agree with every word written by them or any other poster at Making Light. It means that I’m more likely to listen to (if not necessarily agree with) people who have worked on organizing one of the most complicated annual all-volunteer events in the world* than those whose involvement with the convention is mostly theoretical at best.

*I say that despite it not being the largest genre event because every Worldcon is a start-up, one-shot convention. DragonCon is the same organizers and generally same site every year. ComicCon International has full-time paid employees and is the same organization in the same place every year. Worldcons have no full time staff, and every year it’s a brand new event with a new legal organization, new committee, and new site. Aside from a surplus-sharing agreement that most Worldcons have signed on to since the 1990s, there’s no legal or financial connection from one year to the next. You’re basically running a one-shot, $1 million turnover, 5-10 thousand member start-up convention that you will then dissolve after the five days is over. Under these circumstances, it’s hard for me to complain about the rough patches; it’s often seems to be a miracle that the event happens at all.

1 year 1 month ago

When someone has said “this sort of thing happens all along” I’ve always interpreted that as… people have advocated for some books and authors in an informal way behind the scenes. Because that type of statement is usually followed by a “but” we’ve just done it out in the open.

And I think it would be sort of difficult to claim that there isn’t genteel campaigning as a normal sort of thing.

Craig
1 year 1 month ago

I admit I’d also prefer having a number of suggestions different than the number of nominations that can be made, but I’d prefer more and not less; I’d rather be pointed to 10 good stories than three.

1 year 1 month ago

I would be delighted if y’all would accumulate long lists of works that you think are award-worthy. NESFA and BASFA do this. Each recommendation has the names of those people who recommended them. If you put such a recommendation site in a static location (i.e. one that does not change from year to year), it probably would be added to the Third Party Recommendation Sites that TheHugoAwards.org compiles.

Such long lists are much different from curated lists that are limited to not more than the number of possible positions on the final ballot.

1 year 1 month ago

I like the idea of a longer list but not a list too long to be reasonably read.

Two lists maybe… one really long list of eligible work as part of accumulating suggestions of books people particularly like and a chance to point out something that might have been overlooked… but if the idea is that people should actually read them all instead of skim for name recognition, then a final “short list” is better than a super long list.

Jared Anjewierden
1 year 1 month ago

I have never had the fortune to attend a workd con, but I have had to deal with the people running it a bit (some problems with my pin, nothing major) and I will unreservedly say they were curteous, professional, and prompt.

My wish with all of this is a strengthened World Con, Hugos, and more fans from all over attending and supporting.

1 year 1 month ago

The fraud part has never been an issue with me. I have no sense of that one way or the other. Here’s what I do sense:

When I read the Hugo Winners Vol. 1-4 I loved the entire thing and saw a dedication to artistry to the exclusion of all else. They encompassed why I read SFF. I wish to return to that.

S1AL
1 year 1 month ago

Kevin, a question: given the instances where 3-4 purple have received nearly identical numbers of votes in separate categories in the same year, and that those people happen to have the same influential connections and support each other… Do you really think that a functional (if not conspiratorial) whisper campaign is out of the question? I mean, it’s certainly possible that there wasn’t even any coordination necessary, and it’s just the organic result of insular cliques in fandom, but those numbers strike me as very suspicious.

1 year 1 month ago

…given the instances where 3-4 purple have received nearly identical numbers of votes in separate categories in the same year, and that those people happen to have the same influential connections and support each other… Do you really think that a functional (if not conspiratorial) whisper campaign is out of the question?

Knowing many of the individuals personally, the answer is, “Yes, I rule out conspiracies.”

I don’t believe in most conspiracies, particularly those that require complete secrecy and perfect coordination. The SP/RP campaign had to shout from the rooftops, after all.

Conspiracies are comforting theories, that’s all. Read Why People Believe Weird Things for more on why people are drawn to such mental comfort food.

S1AL
1 year 1 month ago

Kevin Standlee – Please reply to the questions as stated, not as you would like them to be stated. I asked about a campaign, not a conspiracy.

1 year 1 month ago

You’re moving the goalposts. Claims that, say, two works got 40 and 41 nominations in the same category are trotted out as “proof” of Secret Marching Orders. I cited my own case that disproves this isn’t mathematically possible. I’m not the only one who nominated the Stross and not the Scalzi. (I can cite another person if you want.) So lay off on sifting through numbers until you find a few cases where there happened to be almost the same count between multiple categories. Correlation isn’t necessarily causation, and while I would expect there to be overlap between the 41 and the 40 in the case cited, the implication that there were 40 minions given marching orders on how to cast their ballots is laughable.

Look, Hugo Administrators — actual human beings, not computers — have to read every nominating ballot, line by line, in order to sort out the variations in names of nominees. This means that Real Human Beings are watching what comes in. It’s not that hard to spot “campaigns” of a run of people all voting exactly the same way. With relatively rare outliers of single works, this simply wasn’t happening. So put away your conspiracy theory, please.

S1AL
1 year 1 month ago

See as I quite specifically asked about a *functional* whisper campaign (and *excluded* conspiracies), I don’t see how it’s difficult to just answer the question.

But, you enjoy torching that strawman right to the ground.

1 year 1 month ago

You’re asking for a negative proof of something that’s not falsifiable. All I can tell you is that I administered three Hugo Award elections, and did not see a pattern of bloc voting. But of course you think I’m lying. It’s very easy to prove conspiracy theories when any evidence to the contrary is part of the conspiracy.

Nathan
1 year 1 month ago

Less lying, but more “trust but verify.” A little heavier on the verify part, admittedly, but you are appealing to your own authority without accompanying evidence.

S1AL

Kevin Standlee –

My question: “Do you really think that a functional (if not conspiratorial) whisper campaign is out of the question?”

Your Response: “Knowing many of the individuals personally, the answer is, ‘Yes, I rule out conspiracies.'”

I think it’s rather obvious that you are VERY SPECIFICALLY *not* answering the question I asked. In fact, you repeatedly used the word conspiracies in your response: 3 times.

THEN you accused me of moving the goalposts, when I quite clearly did not, as my question never changed. You simply chose to respond to an entirely different question that I DID NOT ask.

Then you claimed that I accused you of lying. This is demonstrably false.

So, as stated above, continue torching the strawman. You are either unwilling to answer the question or unable to grasp it, and as such I see no point in continuing to argue with someone who is either completely disingenuous or incompetent.

1 year 1 month ago

Yes, I do think that any sort of “whisper campaign” is out of the question.

Is that a clear enough answer?

S1AL
1 year 1 month ago

Yes, that’s all I wanted.

As a follow-up: what, then, is the explanation for the incredibly close voting patterns in several nomination categories over the years? Do you think it’s purely organic?

1 year 1 month ago

Yes, I do think so. Sift enough numbers — and boy, do we have a lot of numbers! — and you’ll be able to find some correlations if you look hard enough.

Just to pick one at random, I went back to the 2005 Hugo Awards and looked at Best Novel, in which we find that Iron Sunrise (Charlie Stross, Ace) got 55 votes and Going Postal (Terry Pratchett, HarperCollins) got 54. Surely you don’t think there was some sort of collusion to make that happen, do you?

(Pratchett declined nomination, incidentally, so anyone who claims that the Awards were somehow rigged to prevent PTerry from getting a nomination needs to get her facts straight.)

On the same ballot, The Algebraist (Iain M. Banks, Orbit) got 33 votes and made the ballot (because of Pratchett declining). Newton’s Wake (Ken McLeod, Orbit) got 32 votes and didn’t make it. Someone trying to find evidence of a Dark Conspiracy could take these numbers and declare that one of the 33 Orbit Drones didn’t get his/her marching orders, and that somehow the Great Conspiracy twisted Terry Pratchett’s arm — a laughable proposition — into declining to let Orbit’s works onto the ballot.

And that’s just one category picked from one year. Keep looking through the numbers and a paranoid person with a taste for numerology could easily find more.

S1AL
1 year 1 month ago

So instead of a whisper campaign, we’re back to… the original assertion that the Hugos were being decided by one specific clique of individuals who managed to nominate works by a few specific individuals/works who met the right criteria? And, oddly, managed to ignore some of the best and most popular works of the last 20 years?

Huh. Weird.

1 year 1 month ago

Mr Standlee, Please believe that I have made no statement, public or private, casting any doubt on the integrity of the process; nor do I hold any unspoken doubts in reserve.

Indeed, were it not for my utter faith in the honesty of the process, I would not have asked my fans to vote for the Sad Puppies suggestions.

I appreciate and admire your honesty. If anyone tells you that I have said otherwise, ask them to quote me word for word, and you will see that he cannot.

Sad Puppies is about breaking out of an ideological feedback loop, a stasis, and returning some dignity to the award.

John C Wright

1 year 1 month ago

So what are the changes we can expect to find because we wanted to select our own nominees, Kevin?

Will the WorldCon have our ‘betters” graciously offer us a prix fixe selection from which we will be kindly permitted to pay our $40 to choose? They certainly talk as though they want to, and looking at the ballots for the past few years, they have seem to have been doing so.

Look at what happened this year, Kevin. A WHOLE bunch more people than have shown up for recent ballots this time, and paid their good money to YOUR convention, to exercise their RIGHT to simply have a say. Anybody who CAN be traumatized by that SHOULD be.

These are people you could have had with you, revitalizing your genre and enriching your conventions culturally and philsophically. And turned them away. All. These. Years.

Looking at your photo, I am guessing that I was a fan when you were, if not sperm, then certainly years short of long pants. And I will tell you, from being a fan all those years, and working in SF, and publishing in SF, that are a great many outstanding writers and creators in this field who have been criminally overlooked over the years in favor of “talents” we now know, because the people who did it admit it proudly, because of their politics and skin color and whether or not their genitalia dangled. And that is wrong, sir. Wrong, politically incorrect and simply indecent.

Your only choice is whether or not you choose to facilitate it. After too long, we won’t anymore.

1 year 1 month ago

My WordPress profile photo was taken in 2002, when I was co-chairman of the Worldcon in San Jose (and one of the Hugo Award administrators — incidentally, the lead admins that year were the same people who ran it this year), with me holding a 2002 Hugo Award trophy. I was born in August 1965.

Jason Robey

Bravo Larry, bravo!!

flyergrad

1. Happy Easter!
2. Congrats on the nomination for MH Nemesis. Even though you turned it down, it still is a winner in my not-so-humble opinion.
3. Thanks for the whole Sad Puppies program. Reading about the SJW’s meltdowns gives me something to enjoy while waiting for your next MHI book.
4. We both need to thank Audible. Without them I never would have found the Monster Hunter Nation.

RightWingProf
1 year 1 month ago

Bold move, sir. Well played. It looks like the SPs are taking the motto “When punched, punch back twice as hard” to heart. Along with the usual Easter festivities, I’m looking forward to the splodey-ness over the next couple of days. What’s the over and under on the time until Damien rears his head?

Enjoy this most holy of days tomorrow. As far as I’ve heard, they haven’t found the body yet, so Easter is still on.

sean
1 year 1 month ago

Hell Larry, I respect ya for it. Still though, Nemesis deserves to be there on it’s own merits and the whole series simply for the opening sentences of MHI itself. Still my FAVORITE book opening EVER! LOL. As I keep telling people, how can you NOT love a book that starts off that way?

Brian

I agree, it is the number 1 line I use to peak peoples interest in MHI

pseudotsuga
1 year 1 month ago

Is that fireworks I hear, or crazy Lefty heads exploding all over the place at this “travesty”?

1 year 1 month ago

“#29 ::: janetl ::: (view all by) ::: April 04, 2015, 04:27 PM: Vox Day has stated that many problems of the modern day are due to democracies ‘giving women the vote’, and that people of African ancestry are savages incapable of modern civilization. While stooping to GamerGate is very low, associating with Vox Day — a person who thinks that more than half of the human race is incapable of rational thought on his plane of being — that’s pretty low, too.”

That’s pretty typical of the lack of self-awareness of SJWs. Their award nominees routinely talk about half the human race as oppressors who hate women and reinforce each other’s privilege and “rape culture” as well.

As for N. K. Jemisin, she claims about VD “The future he apparently wants is one rooted in the past, during which a demographic minority of the human species constructed an ingenious system allowing it to dominate most of the planet. (Diabolical… but ingenious.)”

Whites are “diabolical” in a planetary sense isn’t exactly what you’d call the moral high ground.

OH, BY THE WAY…

“Mary Robinette Kowal retweeted Con or Bust @con_or_bust · 33m 33 minutes ago
Now seems like a good time to mention (1) Con or Bust helps fans of color/non-white fans attend SFF cons; (2) it has free memberships now; >”

Send those li’l tykes money cuz they can’t do it themselves. They probably lack that diabolical quotient. hahahaha.

#SegregationIsDiversity

1 year 1 month ago

Look really… setting something up to try to encourage more POC to attend cons (because lets be really honest here… fen are frighteningly weird) is the *right* way to do it. Saying, we understand that some people might not feel welcome because fen are frighteningly weird but we really would like more people to take that first step through the doors and so we’re going to issue actual invitations” is the right way to do it.

The wrong way is all these various… “you can come to the convention and stay apart from everyone else,” idiocies. Or the “lets vote for people on the basis of their under-represented status” affirmative action hires. Or, the super big wrong way… “We expect certain groups to “punch up” even if their targets are innocent of malice because certain groups simply can’t be expected to follow civilized behavior and must be granted the same “understanding” that we give children with mental issues.”

But understanding that a whole lot of people of every sort find going to a con for the first time a bit intimidating, and doing something to help get them through the door? We’d all like to see more and broader participation, right?

I mean, what really upsets me a whole lot about … well, it’s the ONLY thing that upsets me about being portrayed (by virtue of being on “this side”) as wanting something other than more participation by more people (the definition of “fan” is evangelism!) is that their little hissy fits involve them getting up on a big soap box and yelling YOU AREN’T WELCOME AND SHOULD JUST GIVE UP BECAUSE SCIENCE FICTION IS WHITE AND MALE AND YOU DONT’ FIT! (And if you come to a con we’ll segregate you.)

Who’s doing the damage?

1 year 1 month ago

I completely understand your decision but it does bum me out as I think Nemesis is your best work to date. But they -would – have made it about you. We’ll played and we’ll done!

[…] Three out of Five for Best Novel (there’s a possibility it could have been 4 out of 5, we won’t know until the full numbers are released after WorldCon, because Larry declined his own nomination) […]

De Anna Manning
1 year 1 month ago

A class act and true gentleman!

Eamon J. Cole
1 year 1 month ago

Frustrating that it’s likely necessary, but…

Class move, sir.

Guess
1 year 1 month ago

damn… was hoping to get all 6 monster hunter books in the voter packet since BAEN put your entire trilogy in there last year. 🙁

Hopefully Jim Butcher continues the trend and gives us his whole series… I doubt it, but it makes the $40 a really good deal.

1 year 1 month ago

Speaking of voter packets, anybody have any word when they’re coming out? I’ve got serious reading to do (JCW owns the novella category, and his works can’t just be breezed through …)

Guess
1 year 1 month ago

I think its atleast a month and sometimes stuff trickles out.

1 year 1 month ago

It takes time, usually weeks, to assemble the packet, due to the necessity of contacting rights-holders and getting permission to include the nominated works. It’s also pretty typical for the package to evolve after originally being announced, as rights-holders who initially didn’t reply or said “no” decide to add their works to the package.

Excellent. Thank you.

Douglas B. Killings
1 year 1 month ago

I hear Memorial Day weekend is the target date, but it will depend in large part on the publishers. Last years got delayed somewhat because Orbit took their time giving them an answer on Neptunes Children and Ancillary Justice (and ultimately deciding to only include “extended excerpts” but not the whole novels).

Nathan
1 year 1 month ago

I’m not expecting the full copy of Ancillary Sword in mine this year. Which is a shame, since I can’t find it in the stores.

1 year 1 month ago

The same ‘extended excerpt’ thing seemed to apply to Parasite last year, too. It’s why I No-Voted all three of them (though Neptune’s Children was also so wretchedly bad I didn’t even make it through the excerpt).

James Conason
1 year 1 month ago

And just gotta love one article I just read complaining about how the Hugo awards this year are horrible because so many of the Sad Puppies, AKA Rabid Puppies according to some of the people in the comments, got works nominated. Wanted to bring up the fact of your pass on the nomination, but could not bring myself to post there.

Dave W.

io9? Gawker butthurt is some of the best butthurt. 😀

Nathan
1 year 1 month ago

That’s “Bring Back Bullying,” “Let’s Not Pay Our Interns,” and “Let’s Trick Coke into Quoting Mein Kampf” Gawker. But we’re the bad guys…

Wes S.
1 year 1 month ago

And then there was that horrible Michelle Malkin bikini photoshop they tried to pass off some years back as “proof” that Malkin was a “hypocrite,” and only succeeded in proving that Gawker is full of shite.

What’s really sweet is that all the little Gawkerbots at io9 – you did read the comments? – think they’re the victims…

1 year 1 month ago

“Last August, the Hugo Awards were swept by a younger group of women and people of color” write the clueless morons who write posts titled “When Will White People Stop Making Movies Like ‘Avatar'”?

Problem, meet problem.

Plus – fuck off.

SBP
1 year 1 month ago

“Younger group of women and people of color”

Leckie is 49 years old and is so white she’d damned near transparent.

1 year 1 month ago

Mentally I’d guess Leckie, Hurley and Samatar add up to 49.

Unless you believe we are a “white supremacy” where I want to drag them “to death behind the back of a truck” and punch them in the face “at random moments…”

In that case they are as wise in years as Tarzan’s Great Apes.

SBP
1 year 1 month ago

Kowal is 46 years old and likely gets a sunburn if she stands in front of the refrigerator too long.

Stross is 50 years old and is neither a woman nor a “person of color” (unless “pasty white” counts as a color).

Datlow is 66, and equally white.

Yeah, looks like a “sweep”, all right.

1 year 1 month ago

I forgot Kowal. 49 plus 0 equals 49.

Steve

This is Charlie Jane Anders:

?w=898

No, seriously. It’s not Andy Dick in a wig.

1 year 1 month ago

What would SJWs say if we went around writing posts titled “When Will Transgender Stop Writing Defamatory Posts About White Men”?

SJW anti-bigots are completely brainless people. Maybe they don’t get prefixes.

Dave W.
1 year 1 month ago

Gah! Dude, I needed a trigger warning before that!

:-p

1 year 1 month ago

Io9 was fun for a while until I began to see a basic, ever repeating, pattern. The future sucks.

Yes… we come from the future… and the lights are out.

John Stockley
1 year 1 month ago

My butt! Larry just wanted me to pay for my copy of MHI: Nemesis. Instead of getting it for free with the rest of nominated works, like last year.

Fine. I’ve bought it now. But I saw through your plan, Larry. I wanted you to know that.

Holly Stockley
1 year 1 month ago

Whilst I can now just snipe it from my husband, when he finishes it.

LOL!

(It wouldn’t let me just post LOL, so now my comment is longer.)

Larry,
Many thanks to you and Brad for this exposure and this opportunity. I haven’t decided to come to WorldCon yet; I keep recalling the Hugo ceremonies in San Antonio in 2013 where, except for the Hugo’s given to Stan Schmidt, several times I wanted either to 1. Vomit, or 2. Scream out objections over the SJW monologues, or 3. Just walk out. Very unpleasant.

If the long shot were to come through, I will have a designated picker-upper there if I am not. In the Novella category, at least, where SP3 swept, I hope Sasquan provides asbestos gear for recipients.

Again, eternal thanks to you two, and good luck to all nominees, SPs or not.

1 year 1 month ago

Arlan, I think I can speak for all of us Analog guys that I wanted to scream with triumph when Stan won. Then I wanted to punch some CHORFs in the face for having snubbed Stan for decades, because apparently having the most widely circulated SF mag in the english language and birthing many dozens of careers doesn’t “rate” with the CHORFs.

Christopher M. Chupik
1 year 1 month ago

Will someone tell Steve Davidson?

(I’m not registering to make a single comment.

Wes S.
1 year 1 month ago

Surprise, surprise: Tor has closed comments on their Hugo Noms thread for the weekend, so their moderators can give it their “full attention” when they come back to work Monday.

Since their official count is up to 38 comments, but the final comment is numbered #41, it looks like they’ve already broken out the banhammer as it is…

*rolls eyes*

Christopher M. Chupik
1 year 1 month ago

It’s Tor.com. What can you expect?

Despite their frequent idiocy, they have some good features, though.

John R. Ellis
1 year 1 month ago

I quit reading most Tor.com columnists after Jo Walton stated a straight white male character in an Edwardian romance novel she was reviewing MUST be secretly gay “because he’s so decent and good to the heroine”…and went on and on about how that’s definitive proof, as in real life straight men who are decent just don’t exist and bi men are just gay men who kind of, sort of pretend to like women. <_<

I quit reading all of them after they published a lengthy, vitriolic, completely unhinged article on how Star Trek: The Next Generation was the most evil SF series to ever be shown on TV EVER.

Why?

Because Data, a humanoid robot built and given life by a human, raised and taught by humans, and operating on a human ship…WANTED TO BE HUMAN.

When everyone knows that humans SUCK and are EVILBADWRONG.

That's right. Even Gene Roddenberry's ultralibprog "Humans are the most AWESOME things EVER!" message is now just too rightwing conservative.

And by the article's standards, Data's evil twin android brother who hated and murdered countless humans is now the good, smart one. o_O

Suburbanbanshee
1 year 1 month ago

Jo Walton also thinks that Heyer, a woman of unshamed Jewish heritage, is being anti-Semitic when she writes about a Jewish character who isn’t a nice upper class person. But frankly, in the Regency, you weren’t going to find nice aristocratic Jewish people. It was respectable tradesmen, poor people in the slums, and criminals in the slums.

So after all the talk in various novels about young men going to moneylenders, Heyer actually has a heroine confront one and get the money back, while presenting the laws that protected minors and the social IOU rules that prevented minors from taking advantage of the law after being taken advantage of.

Heyer’s presentation of this particular criminal confronts head on the old English stereotypes about Jewish people. But if you read it carefully, it’s not in any way hateful about Judaism. It’s more about English fears than anything. It’s a great Dickensian bit of social history, too, as well as a comedic confrontation scene with very few parallels in English literature.

And yet, all Walton saw was bigotry. Very sad.

1 year 1 month ago

This is off topic but Minnie Driver starred in a 1998 film called The Governess. It is about a late 1830s London Jewish woman who has to support her family after the murder of her father. She passes herself off as a Protestant and goes to work for a wealthy Scottish family as a governess. It weirdly takes in the invention of photography but in a great way. I just love that film.

Suburbanbanshee
1 year 1 month ago

Actually, Walton’s major misunderstanding of Cotillion was that when Freddy said that “I ain’t in the petticoat line,” he was saying that he wasn’t a womanizer who slept with tons of loose women and prostitutes, whereas she took it as “I’m gay, Dad.” After that, she was basically reading the book the way a slash fan watches Star Trek. Predictably, this led her to more misunderstandings about the characters.

Learning new phrases by context is an important skill for the sf/fantasy or historical fiction reader.

Suburbanbanshee
1 year 1 month ago

That sounds like a very fun movie. I will have to watch that one!