Sad Puppies Update: The Nominees Announced and Why I Refused My Nomination

The Hugo nominees have been announced. As you’ve probably already heard Sad Puppies suggested candidates showed up everywhere. We got nominations for dozens of talented, deserving people who would normally have been ignored or shunned.

I just want to make a comment about why I’m personally not on the list. I was contacted by the administrators on 3/20/15 and informed that Monster Hunter Nemesis was a finalist for best novel. I emailed them back the same day and turned it down. Whoever was next in line was then moved up to be a finalist in my place.

I refused the nomination for one simple reason. The Sad Puppies campaign isn’t about any one person. I felt that ultimately my presence would be a distraction from the overall mission.

The reason I refused my nomination is that as long as the guy who started Sad Puppies stayed in, the more our opposition would try to dismiss the whole campaign as being all about my ego, or some selfish personal desire to get award recognition. Nope. I really meant it when I said I don’t care about winning anything for myself. I hope this proves that once and for all.

To the fans who voted for me, I’m sorry for dropping out. But I want you to understand that I consider making the award represent more of fandom to be a far more important prize than another rocket ship lapel pin (I actually never even got the one from last year). Now I’m going to support the rest of our slate and read all of the nominated works to judge them fairly, and I’d ask for you to do the same.

This is just one little battle in an ongoing culture war between artistic free expression and puritanical bullies who think they represent *real* fandom. In the long term I want writers to be free to write whatever they want without fear of social justice witch hunts, I want creators to not have to worry about silencing themselves to appease the perpetually outraged, and I want fans to enjoy themselves without having some entitled snob lecture them about how they are having fun wrong. I want our shrinking genre to grow. I think if we can get back to where “award nominated” isn’t a synonym for “preachy crap” to the most fans, we’ll do it.

That’s what I want. Strategically, we get there faster without them trying to spin it as all about me.

Again, Monster Hunter Nation, I apologize if this offends any of you who voted for my novel. I just feel this is the best thing we can do to combat Puppy Related Sadness.

Now, if you’ll excuse the brief post, today is actually a religious holiday for me, and I’d much rather be hanging out with my awesome family than surfing the internet to see what vile things they’re saying about me and my friends.

I wish the best of luck to all of the nominees.

A letter to the SMOFs, moderates, and fence sitters from the author who started Sad Puppies
Sad Puppies Update: The Melt Down Continues

403 Comments on "Sad Puppies Update: The Nominees Announced and Why I Refused My Nomination"

Jon Bromfield
Jon Bromfield

Truly a class act.

Thank you, sir. And we do understand. And appreciate.

Expendable Henchman
Expendable Henchman
1 year 5 months ago

Happy Easter and well done!

Very artful move on turning down the nomination, too.

Andrew
1 year 5 months ago

I tip my hat to you, sir, for taking the high road and turning down the nomination. You talk the talk and walk the walk and there’s nothing wrong with that. I’m looking forward to reading Nemesis as I’m gradually catching up on your work.

Ed Powell
Ed Powell
1 year 5 months ago

It’s too bad. Nemesis was really good. I understand your rationale, but there is no inconsistency in saying, “I want good works that have been historically overlooked because they are actually fun to read be nominated” and recognizing that your work is in that category too.

Steve Poling
1 year 5 months ago

ok, you made your point. now let us nominate you next year, ok?

Wes S.
Wes S.
1 year 5 months ago

Enjoy the holiday, Larry. I’m taking my parents out for Easter dinner later tonight, and just surfing the ‘Net in the meantime. And trying (somewhat unsuccessfully, alas) to stay away from anything angry or political, in keeping with the spirit of the season.

That said: Over at Tor.com right now, they’re in a state of shock.

1 year 5 months ago

Well, they got three books into the Best Novel catagory (Ancillary Sword, Dark Between the Stars, and Goblin Emperor). Ok, one of those was not the book they wanted, but still. They SHOULD have nothing to complain about (but you know they will).

And I’m sorry, Tor-ies, but Kevin J. Anderson has deserved one for years. Now to get Alan Dean Foster a nomination….

1 year 5 months ago

Sorry, Tor got in two. For some reason I thought Ancillary Sword was Tor, not Orbit.

Jack Dandy
Jack Dandy
1 year 5 months ago

Unrelated dude here. What you’re doing is a really selfless and just plain neat.

What are your books about?

Brooks Richards
Brooks Richards
1 year 5 months ago

Larrys books are about characters you like and care about kicking the ever loving crap out of something then shooting it in the face. But in a funny way.

Jungshin
Jungshin
1 year 5 months ago
Monsters are real, cowboy up kill them, get paid. And 1940’s film noir magic superheroes save the world from Nipponese invasion on giant dirigibles. And secret government anti terror hunt em down and kill em stories. And soul searching honor bound ” I will do what is RIGHT, no matter what” fantasy ( not out but you can read the earc). Pure awesome is what they are about. I have been lurking since before SP1, gafiated YEARS ago and really I just want to say thank you to you, Larry and Brad for what you are doing. SF is supposed… Read more »
flyergrad
flyergrad
1 year 5 months ago

Plus, Mr Correia’s book Monster Hunter International has THE BEST opening lines EVER!

Expendable Henchman
Expendable Henchman

I second the nomination.

1 year 5 months ago

I am both impressed and unsurprised. And fuck you spell check its a word cause of how I said it and all.

Michael Maier
Michael Maier
1 year 5 months ago

Larry, I wish you’d stayed in. And not for any statement, but simply because NEMESIS is an amazing book. I do not say that lightly. I do not even LIKE Franks (as a “person”, he’s a strongly-effective character). He’s a right bastard, I think the Brit phrase goes.

Expendable Henchman
Expendable Henchman
1 year 5 months ago

Remember, Franks sees all humanity and knows that the vast majority of humanity are going to heaven after they die. And Franks goes back to eternal torment.

Meanwhile, if the MCB fails, heaven won’t exist any more because Cthulu and company will destroy God, angels and heaven.

So kill them, and they go to bliss, or let the idiot humans live and blab, and the universe is destroyed. Pretty easy choice for Franks to make, and I agree with it.

Remember, Franks doesn’t have an iota of faith. He KNOWS.

1 year 5 months ago

If we’re really lucky we’ll get some TOS style logic bombs from the more rabid Larry haters.

I’m actually sad 3-Body Problem didn’t get in. I didn’t nominate it (because I haven’t read it yet) but what I’m hearing about it is all amazingly good.

Ancillary Sword… maybe she got better with her second novel.

Goblin Emperor… don’t know much about it beyond the fact that my library system has only 5 copies.

(Solid average is 10-12 for the 18 branches)

Len
Len
1 year 5 months ago

You won’t be disappointed with 3-Body Problem … Cixin Liu approaches a situation which is often written about *badly* (I won’t spoil it for anybody here by revealing it) from a very different direction, at least partially because of his world view.

Now we have to get the author to write a story in the MHI universe, it would be a *great* read 🙂

Steve Gaalema
Steve Gaalema
1 year 5 months ago

The 3-Body Problem has been nominated for the Prometheus Award. You can vote for it by becoming a member of the Libertarian Futurist Society:

Linoge
1 year 5 months ago

Well played, Larry, well, played.

And I mean that in the best possible way.

Nick Gardner
Nick Gardner
1 year 5 months ago

We’re going to force you to accept the nomination next year. selfish jerk mumble mumble

And for anyone who wants to vote for the Hugos, here’s where you get the supporting membership:

Astro
Astro
1 year 5 months ago

Thanks. I just bookmarked the link in my ‘Health’ folders, ’cause that’s where it belongs and that’s where I’ll find it.

Mrs. John C. Wright
Mrs. John C. Wright
1 year 5 months ago

I agree with the first commenter:

Truly classy.

Joshua M. Young
1 year 5 months ago

Well played, sir. I’m proud of you.

Brian Niemeier
1 year 5 months ago

Larry may not be getting a Hugo this year, but he’s got more George Washington Awards coming from me.

1 year 5 months ago

Thank you, sir. And I for one understand. But don’t expect us to not keep voting for you!

Dave W.
1 year 5 months ago

I’m a little bit bummed because I believe you truly deserve an award for Nemesis. I get it, though. It’s a brilliant tactical move to undermine the SJWs’ ridiculous arguments.

I hope things will improve to the point you can accept the next nomination. And yes, definitely good luck to all the other nominees! Happy Easter!

Ken Prescott
Ken Prescott
1 year 5 months ago

Larry, you are a class act.

SAD PUPPIES AKHBAR!

Keith Glass
1 year 5 months ago

Not surprised, and even more impressed. . And the Narrative has already started: “the Hugos are broken”. . .

Jack Blount
Jack Blount
1 year 5 months ago

I support your actions in this, and I will continue to vote with my wallet (Take my money!). Before I do any voting I will try to read all of the books that I can.

Mike Grasso
1 year 5 months ago

Larry, I know that recognition like this is important to a writer. All I can say is that I enjoy the body of your work. I devour it within hours / days of publishing. I will continue to do so because of the quality, storylines, imagination and talent. Thank You again from ViCAT MHI. Mg

Shawna
Shawna
1 year 5 months ago

Totally understandable. I think that was a smart move, considering some of the accusations of ‘ballot stuffing’ certain people have been throwing around.

Kinda bummed that only a handful of the ones I nominated got on the ballot (and most of those were movies/TV) but I look forward to reading the various nominees and voting on them.

I haven’t done this before, so maybe someone can enlighten me. I didn’t get an e-mail about the nominations. Were we supposed to? Also, are we supposed to get copies of the various nominated things for voting? When is that supposed to happen?

1 year 5 months ago

1. Historically, the nominations are just announced. There will certainly be a list on your final ballot, and I think there’s usually a list with your voter packet of copies of works.

2. The Hugo Voter Packet will be coming out “as soon as it is available,” according to the Hugo Awards website.

Shadowdancer
1 year 5 months ago

*salute* Thanks for being an upstanding human being, Larry.

Well, it’s down to Kevin J. and Jim Butcher for Best Novel for me; but I am CRYING at the slate for Dramatic Presentation Long Form. I ENJOYED ALL OF THOSE SO VERY, VERY MUCH. HOW COULD I POSSIBLY CHOOSE?!

Happy Easter, Larry, everyone.

Brian
Brian
1 year 5 months ago

Those I have already read but we will need to wait for our copies of the other books and read them to see if one of them deserves the award but I doubt they can beat “Parkour!”

Shadowdancer
1 year 5 months ago

Reason why Kevin and Jim’s stuff sits above the others is because I’ve read Skin Game and while I’ve not read this book by Kevin J I have enjoyed his other works previously. I will give the others a fair go to the best of my ability / time before casting my vote though.

I have talked about the ones I don’t think I could honestly vote on though, on my blog. (I don’t listen to podcasts/net radio for example.)

Richard McEnroe
1 year 5 months ago

Captain America: The Winter Soldier was the better movie but Guardians of the Galaxy had rocketships. Decisions, decisions…

Synova
1 year 5 months ago

I loved them both but… Guardians grabbed me. Gotta love Captain America and the movie was solid. It was great. Absolutely.

Guardians, however, was SPLENDID. It was JOYFUL. It stands out in a way that the others don’t… sort of like Princess Bride. I think it’s just going to get better over time until we can all quote Rocket without half thinking about it.

Richard McEnroe
1 year 5 months ago

Talking raccoon or Scarlet Johansson. Choose wisely.

Synova
1 year 5 months ago

I rather like Scarlet Johansson but it’s more a choice between the two Chrises…

Pratt or Evans…. Hmmmm….

Emily Nelson
1 year 5 months ago

How can you forget Groot? Robert Redford made an awesome villain in Winter Soldier.

Richard McEnroe
1 year 5 months ago

Other plus for Captain America. Can’t hate a movie where Robert Redford gets shot between the eyes.

Shadowdancer
1 year 5 months ago

I just watched Interstellar last night, and it was like watching a movie in the grand tradition of classic sci-fi, but with more hope and grittiness than I expected. It was also so human-positive, it made me really happy.

I’m totally torn between, the Cap, Guardians, Interstellar and Edge, in no particular order. All of them were very good and I will have great difficulty in deciding.

I nominated Big Hero 6. *Shrug*

Of the ballot I’d say either Guardians or Interstellar, though they are all good.

keranih
keranih
1 year 5 months ago

Was ‘Snowpiercer’ not eligible? I am really surprised that it didn’t make the short list.

Mike Glyer
Mike Glyer
1 year 5 months ago

I respect the sacrifice, I can say that.

John C Wright
1 year 5 months ago

Dear Mr Glyer, you and I have differed in the past, and for my contumely toward you, I apologize. You have a courtesy and common honesty which is to be admired wherever found. Thank you.

Alan
1 year 5 months ago

I completely understand why you are doing this and want to thank you for making such a bold decision.

You have, essentially, cockblocked all the trolls, and I can’t help but love you for it.

Chris Johnson
1 year 5 months ago

You are a gentleman and a scholar and a good judge of bad whiskey.
Have a Blessed Easter.

T.L. Knighton
1 year 5 months ago
Larry, I loved Monster Hunter Nemesis. I agree, it’s one of the best things you’ve written, if not the best. I really, really loved it. All that said, I think doing what you did, and when you did, was a smart move. You declined before a lot of the “This is all about Larry getting a Hugo” stuff blew up, which means they can’t reasonably justify taking credit for that. Well played, sir. Well played. In the meantime, a lot of really good writers are nominated. I really enjoy Butcher’s work, and loved Lines of Departure. The fact that John… Read more »
Ken
Ken
1 year 5 months ago

So, you’ll not object to Son of the Black Sword getting nominated next year, right? Or shall you forever be at the forefront, taking the hits for the rest of the Sad Puppies slate?

I’ve got to say that I’m greatly impressed – not that my approval (or that of any mortal man) was what you sought. Hell, awards or no, keep writing and I’ll keep buying.

1 year 5 months ago
Kevin Standlee wants the “‘The TAR Babies'” Awards. (They Also Ran). Yes, he actually wrote that. “They’re Also Racists” sounds better. I’m surprised he didn’t propose the Sambo Awards. What an idiot. So just have an Alt-Hugo Awards but disemvowel it cuz SJWs are clever like dat. They’re thinking of holding a separate ceremony. I just had one right now. And the winner Issssssssssssssssss!!!! Monster Hunter Nemesis!!! (Jazz hands, jazz hands, jazz hands, etc.) Anyway, here’s the translation of the results if SJWs can understand this simple thought: Leave us in peace and we’ll do the same for you. Keep… Read more »
DaveP.
DaveP.
1 year 5 months ago

Um… he DOES understand where the phrase “Tar Baby” came from, right?
Oy, my head.

1 year 5 months ago

DaveP: Yes of course I do. I never for a moment thought anyone would take it seriously. Sheesh.

DaveP.
DaveP.
1 year 5 months ago

Nice to know you’re just tasteless, not ignorant

Brad R. Torgersen
1 year 5 months ago

Larry, you are The Man! It’s been an honor and a pleasure to be part of this project with you!

ratseal
ratseal
1 year 5 months ago
Brad, thank you for organizing this – well done. However, why do you still post at MakingSlight? No one there is going to listen politely – I expect that ‘Cat’ is “Cat Rambo’ the current vice pres. of SFWA, no? The narrative on the reason that SP3 won is being shaped to be that ‘GG’ came to vote’ and ‘they are the wrong kind of fans’. The next move would appear to be addressing that ML posters to change the rules for 2017. I expect that the keepers to the key for the in-crowd, led by the SFWA, will organize… Read more »
1 year 5 months ago

“GamerGate came to vote” is a rallying cry that only appeals to the SJW’s who have already shown themselves to be outnumbered this year. The typical SP voter probably sees nothing wrong with it, because they rightly don’t believe the hype from anti-GG SJW’s.

1 year 5 months ago

And from what I’ve seen… they didn’t. Not in any significant numbers though.

Given all the stuff they’re saying about GG though that could well change for the final ballot.

Brad R. Torgersen
1 year 5 months ago

I tend to agree that Making Slight is more or less a bottomless hole into which I have occasionally cast my nickels during this whole brouhaha. Nevertheless, even when they’re jerks, they can’t combat a reasonable argument. While they pound their plastic forks and knives on their high chair trays, screaming and spitting, I can still be an adult. Maturity wins. Today, the opponents of SP3 staged one of the most epic toddler meltdowns in genre history. And convinced precisely nobody that they care about the field; they just care about having their way.

shaun wilso
shaun wilso
1 year 5 months ago

It is rare and I feel awesome that an author can stick to his guns and do something truly selfless to prove his point, and show who the bigger man is. So Mister Correia to you I say Semper Fidelius.

George Pratt
George Pratt
1 year 5 months ago

I am sorry you dropped out because I was looking forward to voting for Nemesis.

Nick Gardner
Nick Gardner
1 year 5 months ago

I’ve got a solution guys. Next year Kate doesn’t put Larry on the slate. If Vox can get enough votes without being on the slate, I’m pretty sure Larry can.

“Damien Walter ‏@damiengwalter 2m2 minutes ago
There’s a lot to be said about these #hugoawards and I’ll be laying out my in depth analysis next week for The Guardian.”

I sense another Correia frisking on the horizon.

av willis
av willis
1 year 5 months ago

Ppph, Walter wishes it was a fisking, he’ll have to settle for a fisking 🙂

1 year 5 months ago

Didn’t he lose the keys to his brain?

damn spellcheck.

PavePusher
PavePusher

Oooooooooooo….!!!!! Shiney!

Synova
1 year 5 months ago

Honest… I thought you meant it to be frisking. I mean… frisking ought to lead to fisking… right? Cuz someone gets frisky…

Richard McEnroe
1 year 5 months ago

And we thought English comedy died with Benny Hill.

deadcenter
deadcenter
1 year 5 months ago

By “in depth” he means with the philosophical depth of a pancake.

SBP
SBP
1 year 5 months ago

Ah, but what are all the “Larry Correia is desperate, DESPERATE to win a Hugo” trolls going to do now?

Well-played, sir.

1 year 5 months ago

They’ll keep repeating their ignorant misinformation. A few might correct their views, but not many I think.

John Van Stry

Happy Easter.

You are definitely a man of his convictions, I applaud your doing this, I’m sure it was not easy.

The world needs more people like you Larry. No matter how the SJW’s and their ilk may try to spin this, you have shown true class and will be remembered for it. And hopefully, maybe some will see the light and turn away from their hateful ways.

Which I’m sure for you, would be the best award for this Easter.

trackback

[…] Correia’s Monster Hunter: Nemesis was nominated but he refused the nomination. Read more about it on his blog. While I am disappointed, I understand and accept the reasons behind the refusal. He made my […]

1 year 5 months ago

1. Sad Puppies are happy today!

2. It used to be more common to refuse nomination for various good reasons. This was a good reason, although it’s sad that things have gotten to such a pass that a sacrifice like this is a good plan.

3. It looks like it really is a honor just to be nominated, in a diverse competitive awards race like this one. Congratulations to all the honored nominees out there!

1 year 5 months ago

It wasn’t diverse. Shitty neighborhood.

“The Book Smugglers @booksmugglers · 47m 47 minutes ago We have a ballot full of white males EVERYWHERE. We went back a few years now.”

Satori
Satori
1 year 5 months ago

Of course we did! Back towards the time when the Hugos meant something. One can only hope we keep moving in that direction.

Alex
Alex
1 year 5 months ago

Vox and Larry get nominated, they bitch. Vox and Larry don’t get nominated, they bitch. Yawn.

1 year 5 months ago

I’m beginning to suspect they might have a thing about white males.

1 year 5 months ago

I toast you, sir. Rarely in the history of fandom has anyone spent so much time looking at such annoying stuff, just to disinfect it with some sunlight. You are a man of fortitude and a fan of determination.

Enjoy today’s breath of fresh air, because you helped open those windows.

ftumch
ftumch
1 year 5 months ago

“You know, I’ve never said this to you, and I read your posts all the time in various places.
“I toast you, sir.”

Me too.

Hadn’t hardly read any SFF for 25 years. Now I own 6 Larry Correia books. I blame you May, you bastard.

1 year 5 months ago
Glad to have the company and for Larry to act as a central clearing house from which to stage a counter-attack. None of us like to be targeted by these bullies just for waking up in the morning. LC has emboldened the quiet and voiceless to come forward and join the fun and provided a platform from which to do do, and a lot more besides. That has proven infectious. People don’t like bullies and more and more outsiders are convinced by our simple truths, our willingness to do homework and use actual quotes. I just want to be left… Read more »
John C Wright

“I toast you, sir.”

Me too. You have a stomach of cast iron, Mr May

Brian Niemeier
1 year 5 months ago

Lord, grant Mr. May life and strength, and let not his enemies prevail against him.

1 year 5 months ago

Well, _this_ year it is pretty darned diverse. I look at the nominees and say, “Wow, what a lot of great choices! How different these stories are from each other! What a lot of amazingly different sf personalities and writers and artists and podcasters!”

Of course, the PC meaning of diverse is the exact opposite, I know…

ATTENTION: Book Smugglers:

“All hate groups have beliefs or practices that attack or malign an entire class of people, typically for their immutable characteristics.” – Southern Poverty Law Center.

Richard McEnroe
1 year 5 months ago

Except for those white males who are, you know, women or Asian or whatever the hell DNA cocktail Larry is…

1 year 5 months ago

> 2. It used to be more common to refuse nomination for various good reasons.

The most common good reason was because the nominee had already won previously and wanted to give others a chance. I don’t think anyone has refused for fan politics reasons before.

Elizabeth
Elizabeth
1 year 5 months ago

The fact that you put the cause ahead of your own successes is exactly why you get the support you have. As united as the Hugo people claim to be, they are clearly all top ready to stomp on each other to get their prize.

Way to be Larry! And enjoy Conference weekend 🙂

Tiago Becerra Paolini
Tiago Becerra Paolini
1 year 5 months ago
At first I was a bit disappointed to hear that you turned down the nomination, but at the end I understood your decision and I can also say that you convinced me that it was the best course of action. It is very easy to get “prestigious” awards and titles, one just needs to dance according to the music. But it takes real courage and and virtuousness to turn down all of this in name of the greater good. Classy. I also would like to take the opportunity to say that you were the one who last year made I… Read more »
Austin
Austin
1 year 5 months ago

I’m going to echo the other comments of being sorry not to see you on the ballot while at the same time understanding why you did it. Twas a noble sacrifice for the good of puppies everywhere. Wendell would be proud.

1 year 5 months ago

Damn shame. Of everything I’ve read by you, Nemesis is at the top of my list for literary merit.

Karen Miller
Karen Miller
1 year 5 months ago

A principled stand, Larry. Thank you.

Robert Allaband
Robert Allaband
1 year 5 months ago

Is there enough hazmat crews in the world to cover all the hazmat sites from all the SJW’s heads exploding?

SBP
SBP
1 year 5 months ago

I see that the same editor who enjoys marching in Stalinist parades is having a hissy because some GamerGaters might allegedly have been involved.

‘Cause the GGers are obviously WAY worse than the folks who murdered a hundred million people. Somehow. In his head.

1 year 5 months ago

Empress Teresa is saying the GGs were brought in by Torgersen “to wreck” the Hugos, but the GGs only became aware of this en masse the past week, as far as I know.

SBP
SBP
1 year 5 months ago

As VD noted on Twitter, if GG had really been involved in a significant way, there would have been 20,000 votes, not 1,800.

Once again we see their grossly inflated sense of self-importance at work.

Maybe they should just embrace the butthurt and stop escalating at this point?

1 year 5 months ago

No. Sarkeesian was ranting that GG had no place anywhere, including SF. They will ride this one all the way to the ground, like Slim Pickens on his A-Bomb.

1 year 5 months ago

Wu, actually. She was slinging her husband’s four Hugos around like it conferred her status. It wouldn’t surprise me if we did get some GG votes because of that.

Dave W.

Hah! It’s on her own head, then! 😀

1 year 5 months ago

If GG wasn’t on our side before, they certainly are now.

Richard McEnroe
1 year 5 months ago

” She was slinging her husband’s four Hugos around like it conferred her status. ”

Oh, God, a “hollywood wife.” I SO had my fill of them back when I worked security in Bel Air.

1 year 5 months ago

CORRECTION: It was “Megpie71” made the above statement, not TNH.

trackback

[…] noreply@blogger.com (Vox) Larry Correia was nominated in Best Novel for NEMESIS, but elected to decline the nomination:The Hugo nominees have been announced. As you’ve probably already heard Sad Puppies suggested […]

MC
MC
1 year 5 months ago

So impressed. Grace is something seriously lacking in this SJW train wreck. And given the day and the seriousness of this weekend for much larger reasons even more so. When we meet I will have a box of 45-70 for you.

1 year 5 months ago

James May: I suggested something that didn’t include “Hugo Award” in its name for people who wanted to do something regarding the top-fifteen “They Also Ran” nominees. That’s for legal (service mark) reasons: WSFS objects to anyone using its registered service mark to promote awards that aren’t The Hugo Award®.

1 year 5 months ago

I understand. SJWs have trademarked racist comments, like “white privilege” and “white savior.”

1 year 5 months ago

Why? Doesn’t that diminish the noms and the award winner? I fail to see how a “they were considered, but…” does anything, especially since Hugo wins and noms appear to not have any effect on sales.

1 year 5 months ago
Nathan: There’s nothing stopping people from setting up any sort of award they want with any criteria of any sort they desire. But they cannot use the intellectual property of someone else to do so. (Analogy: you can invent and promote a cola soft drink. You cannot call it “Coca-Cola.” You can’t even call it “Not Really Coca-Cola.” Someone owns the trademark, and it’s not you. I’ve always said, many times, that anyone who thinks the Hugo Awards are broken beyond any redemption whatsoever should actually set up Real Award run the way they think Real Awards should be run.… Read more »
1 year 5 months ago

To be honest, I might have misread what you were saying. I read it as making a Consideration (TM) label based off of the top fifteen vote getters in the nomination process.

Brian Hurrel
Brian Hurrel
1 year 5 months ago

I won The Mighty Samson Award for Conspicuous Wordsmithery five years in a row!

1 year 5 months ago
Mr. Standlee, I apologize for calling you an idiot – really I do. I get carried away sometimes with anyone at R’lyeh’s House of Bats. I get the sense you’re not really part of this whole racial defamation culture. If you have any contacts at WorldCon who are scratching their heads and saying what can we do about this, I can’t speak for anyone but myself. A mission statement might help. What I want is only one thing: for SJWs to knock off the racial incitement. Just… knock it off. I mean… look what it’s gotten you. Is it really… Read more »
1 year 5 months ago
James May: I apologize for calling you an idiot – really I do. Thank you. What I think people misunderstand when they see me riled up is that I’m not on the Sad Puppies “side,” or the so-called SJW’s “side” or anyone’s “side.” I’m on the Hugo Awards’ side. I’ve invested many years of my life as a volunteer for WSFS, have administered the Hugo Awards three times, chaired a World Science Fiction Convention, and am current Chairman of the only permanent body of the World Science Fiction Society. (Individual Worldcons aren’t permanent; each year’s convention is a one-time-only event.)… Read more »
Dave W.
1 year 5 months ago

Fair enough. Have you seen the posts Larry’s made here previously where he said, after looking at it, that he thought the Hugo voting was 100% honest?

1 year 5 months ago
Have you seen the posts Larry’s made here previously where he said, after looking at it, that he thought the Hugo voting was 100% honest? Yes, I have, and I appreciate it. I also am one of the people who have said that nothing done this year was illegal. However, I have a big problem with people who are convinced that there have been publishing companies, political activists, or Secret Masters of Fandom putting together solid slates of five candidates per category with an avowed intention of completely dominating a category. Anyone who thinks that has been routinely happening is… Read more »
Dave W.
1 year 5 months ago

Like I said, fair enough. Larry used to be an auditor, he says everything is above-board, that’s good enough for me.

You might want to pay a visit to Making Light with your message. They’re losing their minds over there right now, threatening to start a No Award campaign.

1 year 5 months ago
You might want to pay a visit to Making Light with your message. I am a participant in some of the discussions there, where I have drawn the ire of some for my excessively pedantic and dry tone. But I’ll freely admit that I’m more attuned to the Nielsen Haydens (even when we disagree) because they have been working on Worldcons even longer than I have been. Both of them have spoken on matters before the WSFS Business Meeting have have in my opinion been constructive members of the Worldcon community. That doesn’t mean I agree with every word written… Read more »
Synova
1 year 5 months ago

When someone has said “this sort of thing happens all along” I’ve always interpreted that as… people have advocated for some books and authors in an informal way behind the scenes. Because that type of statement is usually followed by a “but” we’ve just done it out in the open.

And I think it would be sort of difficult to claim that there isn’t genteel campaigning as a normal sort of thing.

Craig
Craig
1 year 5 months ago

I admit I’d also prefer having a number of suggestions different than the number of nominations that can be made, but I’d prefer more and not less; I’d rather be pointed to 10 good stories than three.

1 year 5 months ago

I would be delighted if y’all would accumulate long lists of works that you think are award-worthy. NESFA and BASFA do this. Each recommendation has the names of those people who recommended them. If you put such a recommendation site in a static location (i.e. one that does not change from year to year), it probably would be added to the Third Party Recommendation Sites that TheHugoAwards.org compiles.

Such long lists are much different from curated lists that are limited to not more than the number of possible positions on the final ballot.

Synova
1 year 5 months ago

I like the idea of a longer list but not a list too long to be reasonably read.

Two lists maybe… one really long list of eligible work as part of accumulating suggestions of books people particularly like and a chance to point out something that might have been overlooked… but if the idea is that people should actually read them all instead of skim for name recognition, then a final “short list” is better than a super long list.

1 year 5 months ago

I have never had the fortune to attend a workd con, but I have had to deal with the people running it a bit (some problems with my pin, nothing major) and I will unreservedly say they were curteous, professional, and prompt.

My wish with all of this is a strengthened World Con, Hugos, and more fans from all over attending and supporting.

1 year 5 months ago

The fraud part has never been an issue with me. I have no sense of that one way or the other. Here’s what I do sense:

When I read the Hugo Winners Vol. 1-4 I loved the entire thing and saw a dedication to artistry to the exclusion of all else. They encompassed why I read SFF. I wish to return to that.

1 year 5 months ago

Kevin, a question: given the instances where 3-4 purple have received nearly identical numbers of votes in separate categories in the same year, and that those people happen to have the same influential connections and support each other… Do you really think that a functional (if not conspiratorial) whisper campaign is out of the question? I mean, it’s certainly possible that there wasn’t even any coordination necessary, and it’s just the organic result of insular cliques in fandom, but those numbers strike me as very suspicious.

1 year 5 months ago
…given the instances where 3-4 purple have received nearly identical numbers of votes in separate categories in the same year, and that those people happen to have the same influential connections and support each other… Do you really think that a functional (if not conspiratorial) whisper campaign is out of the question? Knowing many of the individuals personally, the answer is, “Yes, I rule out conspiracies.” I mean, it’s certainly possible that there wasn’t even any coordination necessary, and it’s just the organic result of insular cliques in fandom, but those numbers strike me as very suspicious. I don’t believe… Read more »
1 year 5 months ago

Kevin Standlee – Please reply to the questions as stated, not as you would like them to be stated. I asked about a campaign, not a conspiracy.

1 year 5 months ago
You’re moving the goalposts. Claims that, say, two works got 40 and 41 nominations in the same category are trotted out as “proof” of Secret Marching Orders. I cited my own case that disproves this isn’t mathematically possible. I’m not the only one who nominated the Stross and not the Scalzi. (I can cite another person if you want.) So lay off on sifting through numbers until you find a few cases where there happened to be almost the same count between multiple categories. Correlation isn’t necessarily causation, and while I would expect there to be overlap between the 41… Read more »
1 year 5 months ago

See as I quite specifically asked about a *functional* whisper campaign (and *excluded* conspiracies), I don’t see how it’s difficult to just answer the question.

But, you enjoy torching that strawman right to the ground.

1 year 5 months ago

You’re asking for a negative proof of something that’s not falsifiable. All I can tell you is that I administered three Hugo Award elections, and did not see a pattern of bloc voting. But of course you think I’m lying. It’s very easy to prove conspiracy theories when any evidence to the contrary is part of the conspiracy.

1 year 5 months ago

Less lying, but more “trust but verify.” A little heavier on the verify part, admittedly, but you are appealing to your own authority without accompanying evidence.

1 year 5 months ago
Kevin Standlee – My question: “Do you really think that a functional (if not conspiratorial) whisper campaign is out of the question?” Your Response: “Knowing many of the individuals personally, the answer is, ‘Yes, I rule out conspiracies.'” I think it’s rather obvious that you are VERY SPECIFICALLY *not* answering the question I asked. In fact, you repeatedly used the word conspiracies in your response: 3 times. THEN you accused me of moving the goalposts, when I quite clearly did not, as my question never changed. You simply chose to respond to an entirely different question that I DID NOT… Read more »
1 year 5 months ago

Yes, I do think that any sort of “whisper campaign” is out of the question.

Is that a clear enough answer?

1 year 5 months ago

Yes, that’s all I wanted.

As a follow-up: what, then, is the explanation for the incredibly close voting patterns in several nomination categories over the years? Do you think it’s purely organic?

1 year 5 months ago
Yes, I do think so. Sift enough numbers — and boy, do we have a lot of numbers! — and you’ll be able to find some correlations if you look hard enough. Just to pick one at random, I went back to the 2005 Hugo Awards and looked at Best Novel, in which we find that Iron Sunrise (Charlie Stross, Ace) got 55 votes and Going Postal (Terry Pratchett, HarperCollins) got 54. Surely you don’t think there was some sort of collusion to make that happen, do you? (Pratchett declined nomination, incidentally, so anyone who claims that the Awards were… Read more »
1 year 5 months ago

So instead of a whisper campaign, we’re back to… the original assertion that the Hugos were being decided by one specific clique of individuals who managed to nominate works by a few specific individuals/works who met the right criteria? And, oddly, managed to ignore some of the best and most popular works of the last 20 years?

Huh. Weird.

John C Wright
1 year 5 months ago
Mr Standlee, Please believe that I have made no statement, public or private, casting any doubt on the integrity of the process; nor do I hold any unspoken doubts in reserve. Indeed, were it not for my utter faith in the honesty of the process, I would not have asked my fans to vote for the Sad Puppies suggestions. I appreciate and admire your honesty. If anyone tells you that I have said otherwise, ask them to quote me word for word, and you will see that he cannot. Sad Puppies is about breaking out of an ideological feedback loop,… Read more »
Richard McEnroe
1 year 5 months ago
So what are the changes we can expect to find because we wanted to select our own nominees, Kevin? Will the WorldCon have our ‘betters” graciously offer us a prix fixe selection from which we will be kindly permitted to pay our $40 to choose? They certainly talk as though they want to, and looking at the ballots for the past few years, they have seem to have been doing so. Look at what happened this year, Kevin. A WHOLE bunch more people than have shown up for recent ballots this time, and paid their good money to YOUR convention,… Read more »
1 year 5 months ago

My WordPress profile photo was taken in 2002, when I was co-chairman of the Worldcon in San Jose (and one of the Hugo Award administrators — incidentally, the lead admins that year were the same people who ran it this year), with me holding a 2002 Hugo Award trophy. I was born in August 1965.

Jason Robey
Jason Robey

Bravo Larry, bravo!!

flyergrad
flyergrad

1. Happy Easter!
2. Congrats on the nomination for MH Nemesis. Even though you turned it down, it still is a winner in my not-so-humble opinion.
3. Thanks for the whole Sad Puppies program. Reading about the SJW’s meltdowns gives me something to enjoy while waiting for your next MHI book.
4. We both need to thank Audible. Without them I never would have found the Monster Hunter Nation.

RightWingProf
RightWingProf
1 year 5 months ago

Bold move, sir. Well played. It looks like the SPs are taking the motto “When punched, punch back twice as hard” to heart. Along with the usual Easter festivities, I’m looking forward to the splodey-ness over the next couple of days. What’s the over and under on the time until Damien rears his head?

Enjoy this most holy of days tomorrow. As far as I’ve heard, they haven’t found the body yet, so Easter is still on.

sean
sean
1 year 5 months ago

Hell Larry, I respect ya for it. Still though, Nemesis deserves to be there on it’s own merits and the whole series simply for the opening sentences of MHI itself. Still my FAVORITE book opening EVER! LOL. As I keep telling people, how can you NOT love a book that starts off that way?

Brian
Brian

I agree, it is the number 1 line I use to peak peoples interest in MHI

pseudotsuga
pseudotsuga
1 year 5 months ago

Is that fireworks I hear, or crazy Lefty heads exploding all over the place at this “travesty”?

1 year 5 months ago
“#29 ::: janetl ::: (view all by) ::: April 04, 2015, 04:27 PM: Vox Day has stated that many problems of the modern day are due to democracies ‘giving women the vote’, and that people of African ancestry are savages incapable of modern civilization. While stooping to GamerGate is very low, associating with Vox Day — a person who thinks that more than half of the human race is incapable of rational thought on his plane of being — that’s pretty low, too.” That’s pretty typical of the lack of self-awareness of SJWs. Their award nominees routinely talk about half… Read more »
Synova
1 year 5 months ago
Look really… setting something up to try to encourage more POC to attend cons (because lets be really honest here… fen are frighteningly weird) is the *right* way to do it. Saying, we understand that some people might not feel welcome because fen are frighteningly weird but we really would like more people to take that first step through the doors and so we’re going to issue actual invitations” is the right way to do it. The wrong way is all these various… “you can come to the convention and stay apart from everyone else,” idiocies. Or the “lets vote… Read more »
quilly
1 year 5 months ago

I completely understand your decision but it does bum me out as I think Nemesis is your best work to date. But they -would – have made it about you. We’ll played and we’ll done!

trackback

[…] Three out of Five for Best Novel (there’s a possibility it could have been 4 out of 5, we won’t know until the full numbers are released after WorldCon, because Larry declined his own nomination) […]

De Anna Manning
De Anna Manning
1 year 5 months ago

A class act and true gentleman!

Eamon J. Cole
Eamon J. Cole
1 year 5 months ago

Frustrating that it’s likely necessary, but…

Class move, sir.

Guess
Guess
1 year 5 months ago

damn… was hoping to get all 6 monster hunter books in the voter packet since BAEN put your entire trilogy in there last year. 🙁

Hopefully Jim Butcher continues the trend and gives us his whole series… I doubt it, but it makes the $40 a really good deal.

Achillea
1 year 5 months ago

Speaking of voter packets, anybody have any word when they’re coming out? I’ve got serious reading to do (JCW owns the novella category, and his works can’t just be breezed through …)

Guess
Guess
1 year 5 months ago

I think its atleast a month and sometimes stuff trickles out.

1 year 5 months ago

It takes time, usually weeks, to assemble the packet, due to the necessity of contacting rights-holders and getting permission to include the nominated works. It’s also pretty typical for the package to evolve after originally being announced, as rights-holders who initially didn’t reply or said “no” decide to add their works to the package.

Achillea

Excellent. Thank you.

1 year 5 months ago

I hear Memorial Day weekend is the target date, but it will depend in large part on the publishers. Last years got delayed somewhat because Orbit took their time giving them an answer on Neptunes Children and Ancillary Justice (and ultimately deciding to only include “extended excerpts” but not the whole novels).

1 year 5 months ago

I’m not expecting the full copy of Ancillary Sword in mine this year. Which is a shame, since I can’t find it in the stores.

Achillea
1 year 5 months ago

The same ‘extended excerpt’ thing seemed to apply to Parasite last year, too. It’s why I No-Voted all three of them (though Neptune’s Children was also so wretchedly bad I didn’t even make it through the excerpt).

James Conason
James Conason
1 year 5 months ago

And just gotta love one article I just read complaining about how the Hugo awards this year are horrible because so many of the Sad Puppies, AKA Rabid Puppies according to some of the people in the comments, got works nominated. Wanted to bring up the fact of your pass on the nomination, but could not bring myself to post there.

Dave W.

io9? Gawker butthurt is some of the best butthurt. 😀

1 year 5 months ago

That’s “Bring Back Bullying,” “Let’s Not Pay Our Interns,” and “Let’s Trick Coke into Quoting Mein Kampf” Gawker. But we’re the bad guys…

Wes S.
Wes S.
1 year 5 months ago

And then there was that horrible Michelle Malkin bikini photoshop they tried to pass off some years back as “proof” that Malkin was a “hypocrite,” and only succeeded in proving that Gawker is full of shite.

What’s really sweet is that all the little Gawkerbots at io9 – you did read the comments? – think they’re the victims…

1 year 5 months ago

“Last August, the Hugo Awards were swept by a younger group of women and people of color” write the clueless morons who write posts titled “When Will White People Stop Making Movies Like ‘Avatar'”?

Problem, meet problem.

Plus – fuck off.

SBP
SBP
1 year 5 months ago

“Younger group of women and people of color”

Leckie is 49 years old and is so white she’d damned near transparent.

1 year 5 months ago

Mentally I’d guess Leckie, Hurley and Samatar add up to 49.

Unless you believe we are a “white supremacy” where I want to drag them “to death behind the back of a truck” and punch them in the face “at random moments…”

In that case they are as wise in years as Tarzan’s Great Apes.

SBP
SBP
1 year 5 months ago

Kowal is 46 years old and likely gets a sunburn if she stands in front of the refrigerator too long.

Stross is 50 years old and is neither a woman nor a “person of color” (unless “pasty white” counts as a color).

Datlow is 66, and equally white.

Yeah, looks like a “sweep”, all right.

1 year 5 months ago

I forgot Kowal. 49 plus 0 equals 49.

Steve
Steve

This is Charlie Jane Anders:

?w=898

No, seriously. It’s not Andy Dick in a wig.

1 year 5 months ago

What would SJWs say if we went around writing posts titled “When Will Transgender Stop Writing Defamatory Posts About White Men”?

SJW anti-bigots are completely brainless people. Maybe they don’t get prefixes.

Dave W.
1 year 5 months ago

Gah! Dude, I needed a trigger warning before that!

:-p

Synova
1 year 5 months ago

Io9 was fun for a while until I began to see a basic, ever repeating, pattern. The future sucks.

Yes… we come from the future… and the lights are out.

John Stockley
John Stockley
1 year 5 months ago

My butt! Larry just wanted me to pay for my copy of MHI: Nemesis. Instead of getting it for free with the rest of nominated works, like last year.

Fine. I’ve bought it now. But I saw through your plan, Larry. I wanted you to know that.

Holly Stockley
Holly Stockley
1 year 5 months ago

Whilst I can now just snipe it from my husband, when he finishes it.

Synova

LOL!

(It wouldn’t let me just post LOL, so now my comment is longer.)

Arlan Andrews
1 year 5 months ago
Larry, Many thanks to you and Brad for this exposure and this opportunity. I haven’t decided to come to WorldCon yet; I keep recalling the Hugo ceremonies in San Antonio in 2013 where, except for the Hugo’s given to Stan Schmidt, several times I wanted either to 1. Vomit, or 2. Scream out objections over the SJW monologues, or 3. Just walk out. Very unpleasant. If the long shot were to come through, I will have a designated picker-upper there if I am not. In the Novella category, at least, where SP3 swept, I hope Sasquan provides asbestos gear for… Read more »
Brad R. Torgersen
1 year 5 months ago

Arlan, I think I can speak for all of us Analog guys that I wanted to scream with triumph when Stan won. Then I wanted to punch some CHORFs in the face for having snubbed Stan for decades, because apparently having the most widely circulated SF mag in the english language and birthing many dozens of careers doesn’t “rate” with the CHORFs.

1 year 5 months ago

Will someone tell Steve Davidson?

(I’m not registering to make a single comment.

Wes S.
Wes S.
1 year 5 months ago

Surprise, surprise: Tor has closed comments on their Hugo Noms thread for the weekend, so their moderators can give it their “full attention” when they come back to work Monday.

Since their official count is up to 38 comments, but the final comment is numbered #41, it looks like they’ve already broken out the banhammer as it is…

*rolls eyes*

1 year 5 months ago

It’s Tor.com. What can you expect?

Despite their frequent idiocy, they have some good features, though.

John R. Ellis
John R. Ellis
1 year 5 months ago
I quit reading most Tor.com columnists after Jo Walton stated a straight white male character in an Edwardian romance novel she was reviewing MUST be secretly gay “because he’s so decent and good to the heroine”…and went on and on about how that’s definitive proof, as in real life straight men who are decent just don’t exist and bi men are just gay men who kind of, sort of pretend to like women. <_< I quit reading all of them after they published a lengthy, vitriolic, completely unhinged article on how Star Trek: The Next Generation was the most evil… Read more »
1 year 5 months ago
Jo Walton also thinks that Heyer, a woman of unshamed Jewish heritage, is being anti-Semitic when she writes about a Jewish character who isn’t a nice upper class person. But frankly, in the Regency, you weren’t going to find nice aristocratic Jewish people. It was respectable tradesmen, poor people in the slums, and criminals in the slums. So after all the talk in various novels about young men going to moneylenders, Heyer actually has a heroine confront one and get the money back, while presenting the laws that protected minors and the social IOU rules that prevented minors from taking… Read more »
1 year 5 months ago

This is off topic but Minnie Driver starred in a 1998 film called The Governess. It is about a late 1830s London Jewish woman who has to support her family after the murder of her father. She passes herself off as a Protestant and goes to work for a wealthy Scottish family as a governess. It weirdly takes in the invention of photography but in a great way. I just love that film.

1 year 5 months ago

Actually, Walton’s major misunderstanding of Cotillion was that when Freddy said that “I ain’t in the petticoat line,” he was saying that he wasn’t a womanizer who slept with tons of loose women and prostitutes, whereas she took it as “I’m gay, Dad.” After that, she was basically reading the book the way a slash fan watches Star Trek. Predictably, this led her to more misunderstandings about the characters.

Learning new phrases by context is an important skill for the sf/fantasy or historical fiction reader.

1 year 5 months ago

That sounds like a very fun movie. I will have to watch that one!

Synova
1 year 5 months ago
Of all the Heyer novels I’ve read the one that seemed to imply, strongly, that homosexuality was a thing was… the one I can’t remember the name of… um… the young heiress dressed up like a boy travels with the older Lord somebody incognito and their mail coach is overturned and they meet a thief and there is a stolen necklace… that one. There’s murder and shenanigans and when the couple is discovered by the lord who stole his mother’s necklace he *threatens to blackmail* the first guy. It doesn’t say exactly, but it seems obvious to me that the… Read more »
Gremlin1974
Gremlin1974
1 year 5 months ago

ROFLMAO, Why do I get the feeling that the TOR expense account is gonna make a number of liquor stores very happy!

Richard McEnroe
1 year 5 months ago

When they lock themselves in the bunker…

1 year 5 months ago

Someone else will have to collect the wisdom of Damien G Walter. I am now blocked by him on Twitter and I’m informed that he’s now protected his tweets.

Kind of a relief, really. 🙂

Gremlin1974
Gremlin1974
1 year 5 months ago

He has since hidden his Twitter Account, LMAO! Apparently the Breitbart London article didn’t sit to well with him.

Cedar Sanderson
1 year 5 months ago

You are a good man, Larry. Happy and Blessed Easter.

1 year 5 months ago

“Cora Buhlert @CoraBuhlert · 11h 11 hours ago @PrinceJvstin A combination of extremely high tides, bad planning, insufficient dikes and belated warnings.”

Feather Blade
Feather Blade

“Insufficient dikes”

LOL

Steve
Steve
1 year 5 months ago
For me, it was going to be very difficult to choose between SKIN GAME and MONSTER HUNTER: NEMESIS for Best Novel. They are both hugely enjoyable books and their respective series’ are on my “shut up and take my money!” list. So now my decision is simple: SKIN GAME it is. Can you believe that it’s the fifteenth novel in one of the most popular and best-loved urban fantasy series – with millions of readers around the world – yet Jim Butcher has *never* been nominated for a Hugo best novel before today? Which would be understandable if the nominations… Read more »
Steve
Steve
1 year 5 months ago

James May – “Cora Buhlert and Paul Weimer brainstorm the no-show of women, PoC and lesbians at the Hugos.”

Vox Day is a Native American and he’s been nominated twice.

So they could vote for him.

Anthony Pacheco

Awesomely brilliant.

1 year 5 months ago
“… I am used to bigots dominating the conversation and being galled by my existence. I am used to people vilifying my name, my language, my ethnicity, my gender, my sexual orientation. I am used to resistance as default, as the condition by which I exist. So this year’s Hugo ballot — on which are heavily represented men far better known for advocating white supremacy, violence against women, and hatred of queer people than they are for their fiction, to the point where it appears they were chosen for their advocacy over their fiction — feels like business as usual… Read more »
Steve
Steve
1 year 5 months ago

Wendell luxuriates in her salty crocodile tears. Hoooooooooooooonnnnn!!!

1 year 5 months ago

One of the strangest attacks on Sad Puppies to come out of Making Light is the exclusion of the second volume of Patterson’s Heinlein biography. Apparent, we should have nominated it. But if we had, they would then claim it was only because we’re crazed Heinlein worshippers . . .

1 year 5 months ago

That one’s been around for a while. Larry and Mike Glyer talked that over earlier.

Ahh, I see.

Coincidence?

1 year 5 months ago
Second strangest. In principle, Chris Shankpunter believes N. K. Jemisin, Daniel Jose Older, Jaymee Goh and K. Tempest Bradford should be lotteried into Coventry and shot. “Chris Warcraft @ChrisWarcraft · 8h 8 hours ago The only thing that Vox Day deserves to win is a trip to a society that believes what he espouses so a random person can shoot him.” Shame on you Chris Shankpunter. Meanness will give you whooping cough, the rickets, incontinence, and mental retardation. Proof of the mental retardation is believing a society that believes in what Day espouses would shoot him. Did you think before… Read more »
les ismor
les ismor
1 year 5 months ago

There’s already talk among the ideologically pure about a lot of “no award” votes. I didn’t even realize such a thing was possible. It just further cements the idea in my mind that most of these offense-peddling outrage mongers are nothing but overgrown children. They’re literally saying “If one of us can’t win, then no one can.”

trackback

[…] Update: Larry Correia confirmed in a post on his blog that he did decline his nomination. […]

Phil Sevetson
Phil Sevetson

Larry,
Tactically, I agree with your decision. Personally, I am sorry not to have the chance to vote for you this year. Nemesis is up to your usual standards of edge-of-the seat action interspersed with brilliant humor.

I hope the time will come when the Hugos

Phil Sevetson
Phil Sevetson

Larry,

I hope the time will come when the Hugo process is a level playing field. I’m not optimistic about it, but it’d be a good thing if it happened.

Phil Sevetson
Phil Sevetson
1 year 5 months ago

Stupid Android browser. Is there a moderator who can remove this post and my second previous post?

Richard McEnroe
1 year 5 months ago

Call an SJW. They’re good at censoring stuff.

Leit

my sides –> ——x——–

low-earth orbit –> —————-

stratosphere –> —————-

me –>____x_____

Expendable Henchman
Expendable Henchman
1 year 5 months ago

Sorry, the local rules are posts live forever, brilliant and dumbass alike.

Except mine. I made one of two posts in the history of this blog to be removed by Larry. (don’t ask, the evidence is gone, and Google never cached it.)

You’ll just have to work a LOT harder at your dumbassery if you want to join the truly elite.

rd
rd
1 year 5 months ago
Nemesis deserved to be nominated. Nemesis was that good. I saw glimpses of Agent Franks personality in the first two books, and Nemesis really fleshed his character and motivations out. There will be other chances for Hugo Awards, because you have the skill and the drive to write great books. The Sad Puppies are going to make the Hugo the popular broad based, and important award it always was. It is hard work, but there is no other way to defeat the self-proclaimed elitist SJW. The Sad Puppies are made up of people who are used to hard work, and… Read more »
trackback

[…] of books.. Mike Glyer at File 770 looks at the slate in detail. An interesting note: Larry Correia declined a Hugo nomination for his book. I wonder who got on the final nominee list as a […]

1 year 5 months ago

“That Locus could produce such an extensive list without including a single book published by Baen deters me from trying to argue that a book or story which doesn’t appear on the list must be presumed to fall below the necessary of excellence.”

– Mike Glyer, going to bat for the basic honesty of SP at Whatever

I know I appreciate that.

Synova
1 year 5 months ago

Basic honesty is a good thing.

1 year 5 months ago

We need more Glyers out there – don’t always agree with him, but he’s been trying to be fair and honest, at least the last bit that I’ve been paying attention.

1 year 5 months ago

It is also important to remember – a lot of people don’t know anything about this but what their friends are telling them, and not all of those friends a) know themselves, and b) are being completely honest.

I think it is important to assume good faith until proven otherwise, and not be too hard on people whose only fault is ignorance.

Sway the undecided, after all.

1 year 5 months ago

Even better, I think he was actually convinced of a number of claims on the basis of the evidence presented. That speaks volumes.

And hey, prior to SP I had no idea his site existed, so now I have a new stopping place for my lulls at work.

Gremlin1974
Gremlin1974
1 year 5 months ago

Larry, you guys made Breitbart London page, lol.

Brad, You guys made Breitbart London, LOL!!!

Keep it up Larry, the MHI Reserve has got your back!

Gremlin1974
Gremlin1974
1 year 5 months ago

Opp’s looks like I left my message for Brad in that one, lol.

Texas Bob
Texas Bob
1 year 5 months ago
I must say, I love your books, not your politics. But I think your books SHOULD be considered for a Hugo, so I guess I’m on your side in this. Although I see a little differently – While I’m a huge fan of both series, I see the MH series as fun, of the guilty pleasure sort, but the Grimnoir series is GREAT science fiction (but fun too). The plotting and characters are simply world-class. I’d rather see a Grimnoir book as a hugo winner than a MH book. But do keep churning them out – I’ll buy them. Most… Read more »
trackback

[…] LARRY CORREIA EXPLAINS why he declined his Hugo nomination. […]

trackback

[…] ETA: Larry Correia, alleged to have launched the whole thing in order to win a Hugo for himself…um…declined his nomination. […]

NKR
NKR
1 year 5 months ago

Good call, Larry. Their whole strategy is about isolating one person and making it all about him/her. That way they sidetrack the actual discussion and deflect attention. They don’t want facts or logic to interfere because they cannot honestly defend their position. It’s all emotion.

Eric S. Raymond
1 year 5 months ago

I salute your integrity, sir.

When I announced that I had received a Campbell Award nomination on my blog, I reiterated my previous request that people *not* vote for me for political reasons or to get up some other tribe’s nose.

If more SF & fantasy authors did likewise, I think the field would be improveed by it.

My announcement:

B. Daniel Blatt
1 year 5 months ago

To use a word, your maternal grandmother might have used, Larry Correia, you’re a mensch.