Sad Puppies Update: Honesty from the Other Side

If you want to get a great glimpse into the minds of the people who hate the Sad Puppies campaign, read these comments.

Once you get done, you’ll see the exact sort of people who inspired me to start Sad Puppies.

It is a fantastic glimpse into their mindset. It isn’t about the quality of the work, it is about protecting the clique. The nominations won’t even be announced until the 4th, and they’re already flipping out. There are so many lies, distortions, misconceptions, and half truths in that comment thread it would take a novel worth of writing to fisk it.

When you see nonsense posts with all the vowels removed, that’s what SJW bloggers do to people who disagree with them.

My favorite parts are where they whine about needing to change the rules to protect their clique or how the Hugo admin should be pressured to throw out questionable (i.e. things that disagree with them) votes. You know, the exact sort of behavior I predicted years ago when I started this campaign. Well, shaming, slander, and shunning only motivated my people more last time, so they’ve got to try something.

But this is the best comment of all because if finally displays the ugly truth. If you don’t know, Teresa Nielsen Hayden was an editor at Tor and a Queen Bee among SJWs. Her husband Patrick Nielsen Hayden is also a Tor editor, and has garnered a ton of nominations.

#499 ::: Teresa Nielsen Hayden ::: (view all by) ::: March 29, 2015, 03:43 PM:
Why are people talking about what would happen if everyone who reads SF voted in the Hugos? IMO, it’s not a relevant question. The Hugos don’t belong to the set of all people who read the genre; they belong to the worldcon, and the people who attend and/or support it. The set of all people who read SF can start their own award.

Wow… Wrap your brain around that.

Funny. I seem to recall one of the things that inspired me to start the Sad Puppies campaign went something like this:

Correia: The Hugos are just a popularity contest for one tiny, insular, politically biased group of people.
SMOFs: NO! The Hugos are a prestigious award that represents the best of all fandom.
Correia: Nope. Here, let me prove it.

Fast forward a few years of us getting increasing numbers of outsiders involved and authors who don’t sit at the cool kid’s table nominated, and it is sure nice to see Teresa Nielsen Hayden finally agreeing with me in public.

But it is too late now, Teresa. The Sad Puppies voters got involved with WorldCon, paid their dues, and bought memberships so they could participate. The problem is that they’re the *wrong* kind of fans. You guys should have just been honest to begin with and none of this would have ever happened.

One last thing, I find it funny that they are casting all of these aspersions against the Hugo admins because they are holding firm and obeying the rules of their convention. I’ve seen where they are trying to pin this on me and saying that I’m trying to ruin the dignity of the Hugos. On the contrary, there had been allegations against that admins were suppressing votes for a long time, and I put those to bed. One of the goals of Sad Puppies 1 and 2 was to audit the system (I was an auditor before I became a writer). I kept track of Sad Puppies nominees and voters across the categories, and then compared the final numbers when they were released. After two years of doing that I was able to say that I saw zero indication of dishonesty or fraud, and that the Hugo admins had been perfectly honest in their dealings.

But somehow that has turned into me attacking their integrity.  Nope. I did the opposite. I demonstrated that they were obeying all their rules. Now, I’m the bad guy because the SJWs are screaming at the admin to break their rules because people they don’t like obeyed the rules.

Man, it must be really hard for SJWs to say anything without lying. 🙂

Sad Puppies 3 standard bearer Brad Torgersen addressed all of their recent nonsense in more depth. He explains it rather well here: https://bradrtorgersen.wordpress.com/2015/03/29/nail-house/

What the SJWs don’t realize is that the more they expose their bias and hate, the more regular fans become motivated to get involved. Kate “The Impaler” Paulk will be taking over for Brad and taking the helm for Sad Puppies 4.

Sad Puppies Update: The Melt Down Continues
Projects and Rumors of Projects
Tim Drinnon
Tim Drinnon
2 years 26 days ago

Nothing quite so sweet as a big slice of vindiation pie.

NR Pax
2 years 26 days ago

But if they had been honest from the start, it would mean that they would have to acknowledge you as being right.

aacid
aacid
2 years 26 days ago

Like that would happen. They barely believe he is human.

Free-range Oyster
Free-range Oyster
2 years 26 days ago

The funny thing being, that’s easy to defuse. The easiest response is “Yeah, and?”

trackback

[…] (noting that she agrees with him, and that’s why he started Sad Puppies in the first place) by clicking here. Add this to some other incidents, and you can tell the tension is running high in anticipation of […]

Austin
Austin
2 years 26 days ago

Ha! More or less the expected level of hypocrisy we’ve come to know and love from that crowd. And someone remind me to post a little thing I wrote when I get home from work.

Austin
Austin
2 years 26 days ago
Back from work! I promised a story, so here we go! It was a quiet dawn. Birds were chirping, there was a light mist in the air, and the sun was just peaking over the horizon. Slowly, a rumbling noise could be heard approaching over the sounds of nature. They were arriving. From the east came a line of hybrids, smartcars, and minivans. They were plastered with bumper stickers proclaiming the self-righteousness of the occupants and their support of every cause to be found in the past twenty years. Small lap dogs could be seen in some of the seats,… Read more »
Zsuzsa
Zsuzsa
2 years 25 days ago

For the record, I vote for hickory for the BBQ. As for the pig vs. cow thing, my preference would be for both of the above, possibly with some chicken wings as a side dish.

2 years 25 days ago

I would like to see lots of pig, fish and chicken at the BBQ.

That way, more delicious beef for me.

Jared Anjewierden
Jared Anjewierden
2 years 26 days ago

That hate-fest thread has done me a world of good.

See, I like people. It’s part of why I love working in a library. I don’t like it when people fight. I do still wish SPs and non could get along.

I actually got into a bit of a funk over this over the weekend after the FB debates.

Now I can just look at that and remind myself that the bile and vitriol is laid at their feet, and that I shouldn’t give a dried fig over what they think.

Samuel Marston
Samuel Marston
2 years 26 days ago

I feel you. It’s easy to get bogged down by this. Just remember, Larry likes confrontation. You keep being a peacemaker, and Larry light the fires. 😀

Patrick Chester
Patrick Chester
2 years 26 days ago

I felt a disturbance in the Force, as if many SJWs cried out in terror and kept whingeing…

…okay, that doesn’t require Force sensitivity to detect, really.

Chris Meadows
2 years 26 days ago

Here’s an interesting idea.

You’ve been to Gen Con (you signed some books there for me last year!); you know it has a significant genre fiction and writing component, with lots of writers, editors, etc. as guests, including big names like Mercedes Lackey, Jim Butcher, Larry Correia… 😉

What if WorldCon one year were Gen Con? A convention with 56,000+ genre fans in attendance. That’s an order of magnitude more than LonCon had.

Maybe you should consider looking into starting a Sad Puppies Campaign for a Gen Con WorldCon.

2 years 26 days ago
Oh. Ghod… After looking through that thread and examining the smug, supercilious attitude of Theresa Hayden there’s no flippin’ way in heck that I’m buying a Tor imprint again. “The Sad Puppies aren’t trying to increase general reader participation in the worldcon and the Hugos. Their aim is to to exclude the honest readerly enthusiasms of large segments of the Hugo voters.” WT(unholy)F? The ‘voters’ are very important to her, as long as they’re the RIGHT KIND of voters. ‘Our People’, don’tcha know, the ‘QUALITY’, the ‘elite’. The REAL fans, who live and breathe fandom and think according to the… Read more »
Julie Frost
2 years 26 days ago
I’m not going to punish (for example) Brandon Sanderson for the actions of one person (or even a bunch of people) at a publishing house. Doing so strikes me as being just as silly as people saying “I’m not going to see Ender’s Game because OSC is a meaniepants” without taking into consideration the hundreds of other people who worked hard to bring it to the screen. And I’m certainly not going to shoot myself in the foot by not subbing my short fiction to Tor. If they want to throw that much money at my head for my stories… Read more »
2 years 26 days ago
Your call, and I will not attempt to persuade you otherwise. A market is a market and money is money, after all. My problem is that I’ve dealt with far too many people who believe that their opinion, and only their opinion, is how Things Should Be, and they will use all their influence to force things that are not as they like them to be more as they’d rather. (And you’d be surprised at how heated some can get over very inconsequential things. As the joke used to go about politicking in the SCA – “The infighting was so… Read more »
2 years 26 days ago

“And as far as the OSC thing goes”
——————–

OSC appears to have been misquoted rather grossly, and subsequently suffered the usual slander spiral as people distort the misquote more and more (kind of like a game of ‘Telephone’). I’m not sure of the full details, but there are quite a few people out there who believe that he would happily send all of the gays off to concentration camps.

Synova
2 years 25 days ago

Yeah but… the people who think so generally think that about anyone who isn’t wearing a rainbow tutu and marching in a parade. Reference to reality isn’t part of that belief system.

2 years 23 days ago

Initially, yes, that rather extreme position was limited to just the usual fanatics. But I think it’s spread beyond that to parts of the more general population.

John C Wright
2 years 26 days ago

At least buy MY books. I do not set policy at Tor, I just write books.

Jared Anjewierden
Jared Anjewierden
2 years 26 days ago

Your books are friggin awesome.

Remember, Tor may be run by people like Hayden, but they aren’t the ultimate bosses. If enough authors like Card, Wright, and Sanderson sell well, and yet they keep pushing their dharlings who don’t, eventually the higher ups will get tired of hemorrhaging money and do something about it.

Brian Niemeier
2 years 26 days ago

TNH’s apparent firing is a positive sign that Tor is losing patience with editors running around like high school hall monitors using their position to punish the popular kids. About time. The level of unprofessionalism on display has been mind blowing.

I think you’re right that the folks running Tor know who butters their bread, viz. OSC, Sanderson, and game tie-in writers. I also think a GamerGate style consumer and artist revolt is brewing in SFF that will help motivate the big publishers to clean house.

2 years 26 days ago

I’ve bought two of your ebooks from Amazon, from the Castalia House imprint. And if you self-publish your other works, I’ll gladly buy them, especially if I can be sure you’ll be getting the majority of the purchase price.

2 years 26 days ago

I realize the above sounds rather harsh, and I apologize if it offends you. But having seen through Hoyt’s blog what goes on through the various publishing houses and their ‘creative’ accounting practices when it comes to royalty payments, I’d much rather see you get the money directly through Amazon than filter it through them.

And I realize there’s really no good way to make that look better, so I’m just gonna shut up now… 🙁

2 years 26 days ago

And agreed – the two I got from the Castalia publishing house were very, very good.

Keith Glass

John,

I **STARTED** reading you as a result of a mention here on MHN that your stuff was worth reading.

That, of and by itself, was sufficient to get me to buy “Count to a Trillion”.

I haven’t stopped since. . .

J. C. Salomon
2 years 25 days ago
Mr. Wright, If you’re able to say what % of cover you take home, I’ll be happy to send it to you every time I buy one of your books used. However, war is logistics, and the supply line keeping Tor alive is money. I decline to finance my enemies. Tor are SJW Inc. and have declared me and my friends un-persons. It only takes one to start a war, and a fool not to stand up to aggression. Happily, Castalia House and Baen are around to throw money toward. Thank you for your writing. It’s worth paying for.
otpu
otpu
2 years 24 days ago
John: I love the books that You, Brandon, Orson, and the other despised cash cow writers at Tor produce but I will not buy any of your books as long as Tor is getting the majority of my money. I tend to crawl the used book stores and over use my library card to get my fix on what you have written but there is a small problem. Other Tor writers like Scalzi and Stoss are easily found at the the used book stores and there is no waiting list at the library. This is not true for your books… Read more »
L. Jagi Lamplighter
2 years 26 days ago

Hey! Whoa! Slow down! John (C. Wright ) and I still write for Tor! Don’t give up on all of us ;-)!

2 years 25 days ago

Apparently her husband still does – so if something in the Tor catalog interests me, I’ll buy half of it.

Wait… umm… that’s not gonna work…

I’ll find two, and flip a coin as to which I get. Would that suffice?

SDN
SDN
2 years 21 days ago

I’ll buy them from you through Amazon. Not through Tor.

2 years 26 days ago

Teresa no longer works for Tor, so don’t punish their authors for what an EX-editor said.

2 years 25 days ago

See my reply above – I’ll find two that look interesting, and flip a coin as to which I get.

😉

Wes S.
Wes S.
2 years 25 days ago
True, Teresa got the boot…but her equally malodorous husband and Liz Bourke still do work for Tor. (And really, given that Teresa cheerfully libeled one of Tor’s own authors, John C. Wright, as part of her anti-Puppies jihad, I can see why they got rid of her. Just sayin’… 😉 ) That said, while there are certain writers who write for Tor I’ll still read and purchase – I’m in no hurry to throw out my Wheel of Time hardcovers or Weber’s “Safehold” series, for example, or turn my back on Wright or Brandon Sanderson – I’ll regrettably be looking… Read more »
2 years 26 days ago

I wish I could say I was surprised by this attitude, but I stopped being surprised by anything in publishing a long time ago.

Gene Turlington
Gene Turlington
2 years 26 days ago
I just read the link on Brad R. Torgersen’s website, so as a fan I apparently hate Larry’s work so much thought I have bought both hardcopy and e-book versions of his work. And the fact I would like an action figure line, Playstation 4 game and animated movies of the Monster Hunter books must be the obvious sign of delusional mind. I vote with dollars, so i cast ny first vote for the big guy back in 2009 in the form of $7.99, when I bought my first MHI book. Most of the crap that is presented as HUGO… Read more »
Michael Farquharson
Michael Farquharson
2 years 12 days ago

I saw the MHI book when it first hit and loved it,but I have to disagree with the P4 MHI game. MHI MMO instead. Think about world/area bosses 🙂

DeTroyes
DeTroyes
2 years 26 days ago
I’ve been seeing online grumblings for about a week now over the new Hugo nomination slate. Nothing concrete, and much of it seems to have taken on an echo chamber feel (“so-and-so says they’re nervous, so now I’m nervous”). But there does seem to be a bit of consternation among certain segments of fandom, and I say that’s good: no group should automatically presume their favorites are a “lock” on any award. Sad Puppies is succeeding in bringing in new participation in what is suppose to be fandom’s highest award. It’s sad that so many in fandom are more interested… Read more »
John Van Stry
2 years 26 days ago

Sunlight is a great disinfectant, which of course is why the left and the SJW’s hate it so.
And I see a book idea in there, after all, isn’t the left made up completely of blood sucking parasites who fear Christianity, crosses, etc?
Hmmm…

2 years 26 days ago

And if you ask them, they’ll tell you that they’re misunderstood, ‘young at heart’ century old stalkers of high school aged girls.

PavePusher
PavePusher
2 years 26 days ago

I had not run into their practice of “disemvoweling” prior to that thread. Now I have.

I had been expecting mature, rational adults; instead I ran smack into a wall of third-graders.

I wish I’d known. I can do third grade. I just have to get prepped for it.

Sir Brass
Sir Brass
2 years 26 days ago

WTH is “disemvoweling”? I mean, I get that it’s removing all the vowels in your post, but what is it supposed to accomplish? Is it the new SJW-speak, like replacing “woman” or “women” with “wymyn”?

SteveW
SteveW
2 years 26 days ago

In the ancient history of digital boards, before even the internet, there were BBS. Many of the big ones had no-profanity clauses. AOL, Compuserve, Delphi, etc, etc.

So you couldn’t say “shit,” but for a long time you _could_say “sh*t.”

Then one day someone referred to the nation of “Fr@nce.” It was funny, briefly.

2 years 26 days ago

It’s not ‘censorship’, as such, but it’s a way to more or less render your opponent’s arguments incomprehensible. You’re not deleting the post, you’re just making it unreadable.

It’s been used on political blogs since the early 2000s, but has fallen out of favor in the last 6 years or so, primarily because it makes the blog owner look like an idiot.

Sir Brass
Sir Brass
2 years 26 days ago

Ah, so it’s editing of the other guy’s stuff, not the new enlightened way to typing ;).

2 years 26 days ago

Not ‘editing’ – they’re ‘improving’ it so others won’t be offended by material considered ‘unclean’.

On second thought, yeah, they’re editing it. 😉

Mary
Mary
2 years 26 days ago

To make it difficult to read the comment.

It’s not impossible — I’ve read disemvoweled comments — but it’s not easy. (And I may have a knack for it.)

Insectress
Insectress
2 years 26 days ago

Increase the voting pool sufficiently, and the results will become unpredictable and may actually reflect the true feelings/opinions of fandom.

Does that mean that a work I despise might win? Yes, but that’s okay. It might also mean that a work I adored might win.

Brad R. Torgersen
2 years 26 days ago

The taste-makers don’t want a large voting body because “important” books and stories by “important” authors will get pushed out by things that actually sell, actually have substantial audience appeal, actually have traction in the marketplace. Notice how they booed Brandon Sanderson and Wheel of Time last year. “Too popular! Dirty popular series with two dirty popular authors!”

Insectress
Insectress
2 years 26 days ago

You know when people say being an adult is hard, they think they’re talking about remaining financially solvent. I think for many people, it’s harder to remember that high school and the petty politics of that place are over. Being an adult means you can make you’re own path. As an adult you are not bound by the cliques of high school.

NKR
NKR
2 years 26 days ago
I just went and looked for a comment I saw the other day that exposed so much, but I couldn’t find it again. I don’t know if it was deleted by the commenter or if I just can’t find it amongst all the poo. Anyway, the point of it was that this person was a huge Jim Butcher fan and didn’t want to suggest that he take an oath of loyalty or formal condemnation, but they wanted to know if he associated with sad puppies. But they didn’t want an oath of loyalty or forced formal condemnation … they just… Read more »
Jeff Weimer
2 years 26 days ago
I think that comment was @84: #84 ::: Sandy B. ::: (view all by) ::: March 26, 2015, 10:20 AM: I’ve overedited a post several times. I’m trying to find a way to say a few things and NOT say one. Is this group notable enough that authors should be specifically distancing themselves from it? I think of them as an obscure bunch. I notice they chose a Jim Butcher book. Odd to see something on their list I paid money for and read on purpose. Do you think Jim Butcher knows they exist? Every time I try making this… Read more »
SteveW
SteveW
2 years 26 days ago

I guess they didn’t notice Jim Butcher posting on Larry’s and Brad’s FB about SP3.

Lea
Lea
2 years 26 days ago

I’m trying to find a way to say a few things and NOT say one.

I thought that was hilarious. Normal people realize this is a sign that what you’re about to say is not a nice thing to say. And maybe you should rethink it.

maniakmedic
maniakmedic
2 years 23 days ago

Or grow a pair and just say what you want to say. Even if what somebody said offended me, I’d at least respect them for not being a coward and hiding behind SJW newspeak.

AndrewV
AndrewV
2 years 26 days ago

Kate is taking over next time? SJWs should just surrender now.

T.L. Knighton

May God have mercy on their souls…because Kate sure as hell won’t. 😀

Shadowdancer
2 years 26 days ago

Kate’s doing SP4 next year? Oh that’s awesome to hear.

And is The Impaler her official Evil League of Evil designation now? ^_^ Inquiring minds want to know *gringringrin*

2 years 26 days ago

Larry has called her that, you’ve called her that, so if someone else calls her that, it makes it official.

Ya know, I’ve always like Kate “The Impaler’s” logo over at Mad Genius Club!

BobtheRegisterredFool
BobtheRegisterredFool
2 years 25 days ago

Well, she has at least two treatments of Vlad Tepes under her belt. There is the historical, and then she has him show up as a vampire in one of the con books.

Sarah Hoyt
Sarah Hoyt
2 years 25 days ago

Yep, that IS her official title. She LIKES it.

John Layton
John Layton
2 years 26 days ago
As has been mentioned before, Butcher is one of those authors who helped define an emerging genre. I believe Skin Game may have been his best work in that series at 15 books in. It seems silly to suggest his nomination would be because of anything but the quality of his novel regardless of the “slate” he is listed on. I have no ideas of his political take. Worth noting that I disagree with some of the politics Larry expresses here, but he’s thoughtful and funny about it and he writes a hell of a good story. That last part… Read more »
Sara the Red
Sara the Red
2 years 26 days ago

Exactly. I have no clue what Jim Butcher’s politics are. I was surprised to find out how far left Elizabeth Moon leans…but since she writes awesome fantasy, I still don’t care. It seems to be very much a SJW thing that “I have to agree with your politics or I can’t read your stuff.” It’s very weird, but I suppose it explains the downward spiral of much of sf/fantasy until recently…

TXRed
2 years 26 days ago

That’s our big problem – we don’t care about the authors’ politics if they write fun (or even thoughtful) books that entertain more than they preach. That’s not acceptable, because all correct-minded folks are supposed to read for message and uplift, not ‘mere’ entertainment. Our not caring about the moral qualifications of the authors (with a few exceptions) bugs the living daylights out of the SJW/ fictionally-correct crowd.

T.L. Knighton
2 years 26 days ago

Hell, I think she’s still to the right of Eric Flint (avowed and card carrying communist), and I like his stuff too.

Like you say, we don’t give a damn what your politics is. Tell us a great story, and we’re happy campers.

Jeff Weimer
2 years 26 days ago

I had Moon’s politics pegged somewhere in the middle of Green Mars. Good series, but the whole neo-marxian economics she infused the series with was the tell. It’s exactly the series I think of when Sad Puppies comes up.

Jeff Weimer
2 years 26 days ago

I’m sorry, I confused Moon with Kim Stanley Robinson. My apologies.

Kristophr
Kristophr
2 years 26 days ago

Robinson lets leftard politics invade his stuff as well.

He ends his series with the ew Martian government banning guns, while ignoring weapons being held by the green faction.

And he somehow expected that the American colonists would obey the edict for a New York second. Oh well, when you are the author, you get to insert nonsense in, despite it causing suspension of disbelief failures.

Sara the Red
Sara the Red
2 years 26 days ago

I haven’t read much of Moon’s scifi. I think I read the one she did with Anne McCaffrey, but it irked me (because that was about the point most of McCaffrey’s stuff began to irk me). Her fantasy is great though–and in many ways overtly Christian to boot. (Not that one can’t be left-leaning and still Christian, despite what some of the more rabid SJWs claim.) And while the Paks series has a lot of politics in, it’s medieval-fantasy politics, so definitely doesn’t lean in any of the modern directions…

2 years 26 days ago

As long as you got the white supremacy part correct.

———————-

And some on the right, as well. Got into a “spirited discussion” with someone about this a few days ago in an e-mail group…

2 years 26 days ago

“It seems to be very much a SJW thing that ‘I have to agree with your politics or I can’t read your stuff.’ It’s very weird, but I suppose it explains the downward spiral of much of sf/fantasy until recently…”

It’s a left-wing tradition, like apologizing for mass-murderers, or coming up with “new, revisionist” history that’s actually the same old shit they’ve put out before.

Get the right mind-set, and it’s actually pretty funny.

2 years 26 days ago

Skin Game was fantastic. I hated Ghost Story and, after Changes, wasn’t sure if he was going anywhere with the series anymore. Fortunately, patience paid off and I was rewarded with one of his best works ever. It’s why it ended up on my Best Novel list for my Hugo nomination.

2 years 26 days ago

Jim Butcher plotted out the entire story arc of the series before he wrote the first book. ‘Around 20 books + Apocalyptic trilogy’

Skin Games is #15.
Peace Talks will be #16.

2 years 25 days ago

Still waiting for the dragon to rear his scaly head. You *know* that thing’s going to show up again sooner or later…

Scott Harrison
Scott Harrison
2 years 26 days ago

I checked out the hayden site. What bothered me more than anything else were the implications that the Sad Puppies orgainizers condoned and had followers who commited the vile practice of SWATting. Has anyone heard of an SJW or related type who has been SWATted? I have not, but I don’t read everything, so I would appreciate it if anyone could point me to a case of it happening.

NKR
NKR
2 years 26 days ago

I thought that was odd, too. I have seen that it’s a gamer thing (amongst each other, but not necessarily targeted to the anti-gamergate/gamergate issue) and I’ve seen that several right leaning bloggers have had it happen to them.

With the way HuffPo (and from there, FB) jumps on every little thing Sarkeesian claims, I’d think I’d hear of her being SWATted, but I haven’t. SJWs lie a lot and they’re pathological about it, so it’s possible they believe they’ve been SWATted. Or doxxed.

T.L. Knighton
2 years 26 days ago

It’s not just a gamer thing.

The first person I know of who was SWATed was Erik Erikson, who isn’t a gamer so far as I know. This is long before I started hearing about the practice showing up in the gaming community.

Of course, Erikson can’t be considered a progressive by most any stretch of the imagination, so…

2 years 26 days ago

Hard thing about doxxing authors is, well, our names and such are already out there. I can just see Larry now…

“Oh noes! They doxxed me! They now know that I’m a wealthy writer who is the son of a poor, illiterate dairy farmer! What shall I do, what shall I do? I’ve got it! I’ll apologize… hah… hahah… on second thought, I’m going to go snuggle my hot wife and we’ll count money ala Scrooge McDuck.”

ravenshrike
ravenshrike
2 years 23 days ago

It’s yet another infantile reference to GamerGate. It outright ignores that the only flesh and blood troll identified was a brazilian clickbait journo and that both the GNAA and Goon Squad were actively trolling on the topic when it was still the Zoe Post. There have been no instances of SWATting over the issue to my knowledge.

2 years 26 days ago

I’ve seen SJWs lead SWATting attempts on people. I’ve also seen them lie about harassment, harass themselves from their own Twitter accounts for attention, and consistently use DARVO tactics (Deny, Attack, and Reverse Victim and Offender) to rack up sympathy even as they attack. I have yet to hear of a legitimate SWATting of a Leftist, although I am willing to be corrected if wrong.

Darius
Darius
2 years 26 days ago
I spend enough time in various tech forums who’s politics, when it (increasingly) comes up, aren’t exactly right of center. or even near the center on either side. While there ar a few examples of SWATTING (I don’t recall specifics) that may have been neutrals, or over stupid non-political crap, I don’t know of many examples that are held out. Seriously – imagine if instead of that BS “I feel threatened” by a bomb hoax and lawful carry thing Anita Sharkeeshan did, she or someone prominent had actually gotten SWATTED. They’d be waving that bloody shirt for all it was… Read more »
John Van Stry
2 years 26 days ago

SWATing is something that the left does, and does a lot. I’m fairly sure that everyone who has been SWATed to date was either on the right, or was a non-political target of a very sore loser in online gaming.

Shadowdancer
2 years 26 days ago

Frankly the first incidence of SWATting I’d heard of had a right-wing reporter / bloggeras the victim, targeted by a rabid leftist. Popehat had more on the case as I recall. It’s been some years.

The thing that I remember that stands out was that the guy who did the SWATting actively called his victim so he’d have a phone in his hand when he went to answer the door. The victim was lucky as the SWAT team wasn’t a trigger happy bunch and did not shoot the victim just because he had a phone in his hand.

Jeff Weimer
2 years 26 days ago

Pat Frey, AKA “Patterico”. He believes it has something to do with his coverage of the 2011 “Weinergate”, and he’s personally certain it was a guy named Neal Rauhauser.

2 years 25 days ago

Having the phone in hand does two things. First, it confirms that the victim is actually at home (otherwise there’s not much point to the SWATting). Second, the initiator gets to act as a voyeur, and listen in when the police come through the door.

Sarah Hoyt
Sarah Hoyt
2 years 25 days ago

Our insurance won’t cover my business because part of it is non-liberal blogging. They mentioned SWATting and other charming practices as a reason.

Wes S.
Wes S.
2 years 25 days ago
That’s what you call “battlespace preparation.” When they start SWATting the Sad Puppies authors and their fans, they’ll be able to claim “But they started it!” It’s practically axiomatic by now that the Left assumes their opponents are every bit as evil and assholish as they are, to justify their own evil and assholish actions. And yes, SWATting is pretty much exclusively a tactic of the Left. I’ve never heard of a single conservative who did anything like that…but there’s quite a few conservatives, like Robert Stacy McCain and Patrick Frey, who have been on the receiving end. It’s the… Read more »
Daddy_Warpig
2 years 26 days ago

And Hayden takes the time to not only lie about Larry, but about GamerGate.

Quelle surprise.

Lying about GamerGate seems to be the new intellectual dishonesty tell, alternately it’s the new SJW shibboleth.

Stunning to see so many people deliberately choose bitterness and anger, and hence misery, as a way of life.

Brad R. Torgersen
2 years 26 days ago

But if you ask them, they are all about being inclusive, loving, open, and sparkly. Until you say the wrong thing. Then they turn on your like starved hyenas. Because nothing said “Tolerance!” like instantly attacking everyone who deviates from the groupthink.

2 years 26 days ago

Notice how things turned around when we ceased engaging with them on their home turf, wrote HTML, monitored their hate speech and then signal boosted it. That’s all they understand.

Pretty hard to ban me from my own page or fisk your own quotes. A lot of them have gone much more quiet with the hate speech because it is drawing increasing attention and they don’t want to be quoted on Breitbart or elsewhere.

Shadowdancer
2 years 26 days ago

Heh, have you started a blog / site documenting their crazy?

2 years 26 days ago

“Because nothing said ‘Tolerance!’ like instantly attacking everyone who deviates from the groupthink.” — Brad Torgerson.

You are hereby notified that that line has been stolen.

2 years 25 days ago

It occurs to me that an utter bastard might start using their hyenaish tendencies against them to start cutting members out of their own herd.

Only an idiot insists on wearing boxing gloves in a knife fight…

Jim McCoy
Jim McCoy
2 years 26 days ago

OMG Kate Paulk is doing SP4? Lord help the SJWs because nothing else will be able to. Milady of the Sharp Tongue and Sharper Wit will soon be released upon the world. MWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHA

Sarah Hoyt
Sarah Hoyt
2 years 25 days ago

Yep. Kate the Impaler volunteered.

Jeff Weimer
2 years 26 days ago

And Teresa’s comment at @ #383 is a tour-de-force of missing the point and flat-out projection.

Darius
Darius
2 years 26 days ago
I tried – I really tried – to read some of the threads. Even got through SOME of the articles before the level of pure bull feces made me quit for my own sanity. Mrs (?) Hayden’s three point bit of pure projection on why SP 1,2, and 3 were created, in and of itself being a perfect definition for how Patriarchy theory, or critical whatsis theory, are used in practice be their fellows. Statements of how having SP nominees on the hugo ballot knocking women off is just “icing on the cake”. The level of misrepresentation, irrelevancies, and as… Read more »
Lea
Lea
2 years 26 days ago

Is that what that was? I was so confused.

Fascinating discussion, actually. They are so used to snippy moderators who close down comments like they’re all in kindergarten that they dont’ get that normal people respond badly to that sort of thing.

Ben
Ben
2 years 26 days ago

Wait Jim Butcher is considered right wing? Let me guess he doesn’t conform to group think and moral crusaders?

Its been fascinating and revolting looking into that house which SJW’s call home

BigFire
BigFire
2 years 26 days ago

Butcher isn’t spewing current SJW lines, therefore he must be an enemy.

Wt th fks gng n?

Murgy
Murgy
2 years 26 days ago

Y hv bn dsmvld. Thks fr plyng.

I wonder if the similarity between disemvowel and disembowel were intentional. Violence in action, there, friends. 🙁

Farley
Farley
2 years 26 days ago

Yes. This is their literary equivalent of disemboweling. All of the violent hate, projected iwth loathing, but with none of the physicality. Because if they tried the real thing, it would go poorly for them.

Ted N
Ted N
2 years 25 days ago

But they’ll never stop patting themselves on the back for their idea of wittiness.

Brad R. Torgersen
2 years 26 days ago
Teresa completely gave the game away, with that off-hand quip about how the Hugos belong to Worldcon and everyone else should go away and do something else. That’s the cognitive dissonance of claiming “inclusivity” while displaying exclusive attitudes, practices, and methods. “Of course you’re free to join us! Just don’t be surprised when we give you a cold shoulder and make you feel unwelcome because you say incorrect things, are a fan of incorrect stuff, aren’t in the correct crowd, don’t have the correct taste! Otherwise, you’ll be welcomed with open arms!” It would be easier if they’d just change… Read more »
TXRed
2 years 26 days ago

You see, WorldCon is about curating the highest quality of work, not trying to please those hoi-palloi in the *sniff* market. We are selecting works for the ages, not popular trash.

And if you will excuse me, I need to go wash my hands after typing that.

2 years 26 days ago

What’s wrong with redefining SFF’s highest quality of work as meeting a standard as a sort of racial revenge fiction that puts whites, men and heterosexuals at the back of the bus they’ve done to others since they invaded Islam and killed everyone in 640 A.D.?

Lady astronauts fall onto gay men having sex observed by a unicorn which can’t see gender. What’s more all Lens Mensy than that?

Kristophr
Kristophr
2 years 26 days ago

If they actually read the lensman series, Smith’s early twentieth century attitude towords women whould have made their heads asplode.

A woman getting a lens was a big deal in the series, and she had to have a special one …

2 years 26 days ago

If they can’t see gender I’m guessing they read the Lenscrafter Series.

2 years 26 days ago

Everyone in the Lensman series got a special Lens. They were all custom-made for the individual, and would kill anyone who tried to use anyone else’s Lens.

John Layton
John Layton
2 years 25 days ago
E.E. Smith was born in 1890 and saw the first automobile made. He was incredibly progressive for his time. The disingenuous habit of looking at a writer through a moral “lens” nearly a century later is like comparing a 5’6″ Spartan to Ray Lewis and saying the Spartan was a terrible athlete. Heinlein too… He used to be credited with giving women in sci-fi a voice and portraying them as strong characters. He was born in 1907. His perspective was not the common take on science fiction at the time. I believe they edited about 20% of SIaSL for first… Read more »
2 years 25 days ago

I love the way SJWs always call the Lensmen stuff white man fiction, as if Smith was a supremacist purposefully writing stuff the KKK would approve. There is no actual bottom to SJW stupidity.

Kristophr
Kristophr

Stephen:

Re-read the series. The one female lensman was called the red lensman for a reason. Not that I really fault him for it … his attitude is a bit dated, but just added to the charm of the series.

SDN
SDN
2 years 21 days ago

She was called the Red Lensman because she gave herself the title. She recognized that in several ways (mostly physical — the Lens couldn’t override biology) she hadn’t had the same combat experience that other Lensman had.

T.L. Knighton
2 years 26 days ago

You know, if the people who nominated and voted on Hugo’s was designed to be a small group – like a juried award, for example – I wouldn’t mind so much.

But it’s not. It’s designed to be open for anyone to vote. But TNH doesn’t want that, so keep out the Great Unwashed Masses, lest we sully the good name of Hugo.

Jeff Gauch
Jeff Gauch
2 years 26 days ago

I’m laying down a marker. Either at this WorldCon or the next there will be a push to eliminate supporting memberships, to combat “voting irregularities.”

L. Jagi Lamplighter
2 years 26 days ago

Ah….but how would they fund World Con?

2 years 26 days ago

They’re already laying the groundwork. Don’t worry – there are many types of prank phone calls.

2 years 26 days ago

And if they get their way, the Hugos die.

2 years 26 days ago

Here’s hoping you’re right, because they’ll certainly get their way.

2 years 25 days ago

From what I understand, rules changes are a two year process, so we’ll at least get a SP4.

SDN
SDN
2 years 21 days ago
Actually, they aren’t going to stop anyone from buying supporting memberships; they just plan to (and several posts specifically say this) avoid bright line rules on how people’s votes can be ruled invalid by the awards committee. “tnh@43: “I’d give the Hugo administrators the right to confidentially inform their Chair and some designated fraction of WSFS that some of the votes or voting patterns look dodgy…” Oh, but can’t you hear the whining of the sad puppies? Their jurisprudence (as well as Justice Scalia’s) seems to be, “Nothing in the rules? No problem!” That’s why they’re so fond of fixed… Read more »
Christopher M. Chupik
Christopher M. Chupik
2 years 26 days ago

I’m curious to see the final ballot, if the mere *rumors* about the nominations have provoked such a firestorm. SP must have done as well or better than 2014. If it was less, they wouldn’t be freaking out a week ahead of time.

Shadowdancer
2 years 25 days ago
The thing that has me scratching my head is, it’s likely to have Jim Butcher on it. Because that man is POPULAR. Hell, his fandom is gonna be all kinds of happy when they find out they can vote for Jim. Now I won’t say that everyone’s read him, but he has a LOT of readers. I got introduced to his stuff pretty late and when I did the friends who share a lot of my reading likes said “OH MY GOD WHY HAVE YOU NOT READ THIS GUY’S STUFF HE IS AWESOME!” But if it does have Jim and… Read more »
Christopher M. Chupik
Christopher M. Chupik
2 years 25 days ago

It’s guilt by association. Paul Weimer was doing that earlier today, mentioning that Sad Puppies has links to GamerGate. Of course, lots of people have associations. And if you try hard enough, you can make anyone “guilty” because of them.

Jared Anjewierden
Jared Anjewierden

Saw this the other day.

When Bill Maher is calling you out for being Lawful Stupid you know you done messed up.

He doesn’t bring up literature, but the tactics and effects are the same.

Shadowdancer
2 years 26 days ago

*laughing so hard shes got tears running down her cheeks*

There’s gotta be more than that, that looked like only part of the call-out.

Brad R. Torgersen
2 years 26 days ago
About boycotting TOR. I am opposed for personal reasons, mostly because I don’t want to make my friends and authors I enjoy and admire, responsible for the thoughtlessness or maliciousness of an editor. I have no problem with Doherty, and consider Tom to be his own person, far apart from some of the people who work for him; or worked for him (past tense) in Teresa’s case. In point of fact, Tom has a piece of BAEN in his pocket. I think it’s a drag one of Tom’s former people is turning off consumers. But I wouldn’t want John C.… Read more »
Skip
Skip
2 years 26 days ago

I’m not boycotting Tor, exactly. Established authors that I know I like that have the misfortune to be published there, I will still buy their works. But since they’ve started letting the mask slip, I’ve bought exactly zero books from new authors that they’re publishing, without an independent recommendation from a reliable source.

John Stockley
John Stockley
2 years 26 days ago

Brad I’m afraid I’ve been boycotting Tor for years.

Unintentionally.

I’ll happily end my boycott, on the off chance they publish something I want to read. I’m just not that into TV tie-ins and I already own all of Orson Scott Card books. There is not much more for me at Tor.

elwood p. dowd
elwood p. dowd
2 years 26 days ago

I was a bit surprised to see that Brandon Sanderson’s latest (Firefight) is actually published by Random House/Delacorte Press, not Tor. Got it from the library, because hard covers aren’t in my budget these days, alas.

I honestly know beans about publishing, but I’m presuming they’re all part of the same conglomerate. But there’s no reference to Tor on it anywhere that I’m seeing.

2 years 26 days ago

I won’t boycott a publishing house. That’s stupid and, quite frankly, sends the wrong message. I’ll just buy books of authors who entertain me. That way, fluffy bunny crap that is “groundbreaking” and “deals with issues of today” won’t make any money while something entertaining will.

Brian Niemeier
2 years 26 days ago

All perfectly valid reasons to keep supporting authors who happen to write for Tor.

There have also been signs that Tor are getting their act together. After all, TNH and Scalzi are no longer associated with them.

Tarl
Tarl
2 years 26 days ago

Sounds to me like those authors need to dis-associate themselves from such a manifestly odious enterprise.

Book
Book
2 years 25 days ago

Well said, Brad. I’d rather stick to reading or not reading a book based on it’s content and whether or not I consider the writer talented. I’ve read people who I’m politically opposed to because they’ve got chops. (GRRM, for one.)

BobtheRegisterredFool
BobtheRegisterredFool
2 years 25 days ago

Don’t forget Dave Drake’s Books of the Elements.

detroyes
detroyes
2 years 25 days ago

I wouldn’t boycott writers I already like, but there are some authors I’ll make a point to only buy used.

Khazlek
Khazlek
2 years 23 days ago

Tor/Doherty is, so far as I know, the only other house to join Baen in not putting DRM on their ebooks.

2 years 23 days ago

Macmillan, of which Tor is a product line, in general doesn’t put DRM on their books anymore. Of course, Macmillan was also caught colluding with other publishers and Apple to keep ebook prices high.

Dan Paddock
2 years 26 days ago

Holy frackin’ crap! I just got to the part where TNH banned Brad for 24 hours because he didn’t address her questions.

Apparently, having a job, children or other responsibilities should always come in second after addressing the need of her Most High Pompousness.

Chris Scena
Chris Scena
2 years 26 days ago

I was considering trying to go Worldcon next year as it is in Kansas City and only an eight hour drive from Denver. Then I went to the website and saw the The Haydens were to be guests of honor and receive a lifetime achievement award. I’d rather not pay to be sick in public.

2 years 26 days ago

Achievement for what – acting as a gateway drug to harder stuff like giving credibility to lunatics who have nervous breakdowns on Twitter because WorldCon is a killing field of fat jokes and non-jazz hands clapping?

“I’m not safe. Where’s my mummy and cats?”

Kristophr
Kristophr
2 years 26 days ago

You used the wrong pronoun in the quote. Hater.

2 years 25 days ago

“Contributing to the death of the genre”? “Being Right People”?

2 years 25 days ago

Go ahead and attend the con. Just skip the presentation. Events at the con are tailored toward the people who attend. If people like you don’t attend, then events won’t be tailored toward people like you.

Sarah Hoyt
Sarah Hoyt
2 years 25 days ago

And there will be a LARGE Baen contingent. Pat Richardson is organizing it.

Cat
Cat
2 years 26 days ago

The set of all people who attend/support the WorldCon includes all people who buy supporting memberships.

You know, what you buy so you can vote in the Hugos.

Dan Paddock
2 years 26 days ago

Not sure what your point here is…care to elucidate?

Dan Paddock
2 years 26 days ago

And now, because TOLERANCE!, anyone who supports SP3 is being equated to the Reavers from Firefly/Serenity.

The Reavers can be read as allegories for a lot of things (savage violent rebellion against oppression, the unintended consequences of governmental hubris, the inherently savage nature of mankind that lurks beneath the skin of civilization), but it’s very perceptive that the commenters on TNH’s blog to realize that they represented a snarky, non-violent campaign to broaden the diversity of views represented by one of SFF’s most revered awards.

That must be why they are allowed to sit at the cool table.

Wes S.
Wes S.
2 years 24 days ago

So in other words you’ve got the SJW Allliance cloaking themselves in browncoats – the better to hide their brown shirts – and calling the rebels of SF/F “Reavers” because we insist on misbehaving.

Layers upon layers of hypocrisy. To the point of blasphemy, if you’re a Firefly fan…

*snork*

2 years 26 days ago
They don’t like this, which is a good reason to do it. This is being brought to you courtesy of Pfizer: One of the world’s premier biopharmaceutical companies and makers of Klonopin and Prozac. Also by Home Depot, the makers of doorknobs which enable you to go outside. 1. Paul Weimer ‏@PrinceJvstin 10h10 hours ago James May, my evil Twin, posted a twitter conversation I had with @CoraBuhlert and @shaunduke 2. shaunduke ‏@shaunduke 10h10 hours ago @PrinceJvstin @CoraBuhlert also: someone who stalks people on Twitter to collect evidence has no business calling other people creepy. 3. Cora Buhlert ‏@CoraBuhlert 1h1… Read more »
Suburbanbanshee
Suburbanbanshee
2 years 25 days ago

So it’s creepy to have other people collect a person’s racist remarks. But it’s not creepy to share them with the world, have Twitter collect them, and make them available to your friends so that they can approve of how racist you are.

Yeah… I’m thinking it’s not Mr. May who’s the creepy one here.

STW
STW
2 years 26 days ago

I think, more than anything else, what this whole kerfuffle has taught me is that the Hugos don’t mean squat. Thankfully, the SF authors I prefer never won or, for the most part, were ever nominated. All they ever did was entertain people and sell books. Lots and lots of books. Losers.

John R. Ellis
John R. Ellis
2 years 26 days ago

I feel strangely purified. Scrubbed clean. Scoured and then strengthened.

Before, I just wanted my favorites to have a chance at winning.

Now, I want everyone to see what’s being done by the fandom gatekeepers behind the curtain.

(They sure ain’t working on a new heart, brain, courage, or a way back to Kansas.)

TRX
TRX
2 years 26 days ago

So, I moused over to Wikipedia’s Hugo winners page. I’ve probably read nine out of ten of the winners and nominees… and of that, a majority are, if not crap, then noticeably weak efforts by their authors.

I’ve never thought of a Hugo award or nomination as an indication of whether I’d like a book. Now I know why…

ratseal
ratseal
2 years 26 days ago
From TNH on ML thread – about 75k words down from the start – the Panic-ening is palpable. “Third: the ballot itself. This grows out of wondering why so many Sad Puppies are suddenly out and about on forums they don’t normally frequent, belatedly spreading this new and not very believable line about how the whole Sad Puppy thing is motivated by love, rather than spite and resentment. They sure haven’t felt the need to spread this line before now. Neither have they put a lot of effort into hiding the spite and resentment. So why are they doing it… Read more »
ratseal
ratseal
2 years 26 days ago

To be clear, my /S was toggled on for my last statement.

Julie Frost
2 years 26 days ago

So they’ve basically been disingenuously ignoring the entire stated purpose of SP3 from the get-go, and now that it looks as if some of the slate might get on the ballot, they’re furiously doubling down on the “Hateful Meaniepants” narrative.

I also love how he puts SP firmly outside the “SF community” by saying that “the SF community is going to explode when we see it.” Nice bit of inclusiveness and diversity…

DeTroyes
DeTroyes
2 years 25 days ago
I noticed the implied insult that SP participants aren’t part of “SF Fandom” too, which I found frankly insulting. I can match con badge collections with the best of them. The thing is, I can remember a time when none of this would have mattered. If a group of fans had gotten together in the 1970s or 1980s with the express purpose of getting a slate of their favorites on the Hugo ballot, and then succeeded, the almost certain fan reaction would have been “Well good for them!”, followed by the inevitable “Maybe we should give that a try.” This… Read more »
Shadowdancer
2 years 25 days ago

Nope, it’s totally still ALL ABOUT Larry wanting a Hugo of his own.

Christopher M. Chupik
Christopher M. Chupik
2 years 24 days ago

Wish they would get their lies straight:

– It’s about oppressing women and minorities
– It’s about getting Larry a Hugo
– It was started by Vox Day

2 years 26 days ago

What are they talking about. I don’t normally frequent belfries.

Joe in PNG
Joe in PNG
2 years 26 days ago

Is it just me, or is anyone else reminded of certain comics fans whinging and whining about how the pretty gals wern’t “reeeeeal fans”?

Stan Bundy
2 years 26 days ago

Right now, the only Tor author I’m reading is David Weber, and I’m doing that through library checkouts, since I already fund him every so often with purchases of his work at Baen.

Had the Safehold books been Baen products, I’d have bought the ebooks a long time ago.

CLO
CLO
2 years 26 days ago
You’re an inspiration, Mr. Correia. Thanks for doing what you do – proving that SF and F still sells and the reason sales are in the toilet in both genres is because the writers are more interested in staying in the clique and catering to a tiny amount of self-absorbed niche of vocal bloggers. You do not write “great” literature – you write popular literature, and you’ve gotten better and better at it (the improvement from MHI to Nemesis is clearly visible in the plotting and prose). You think about the reader, you care about what’d be interesting to read… Read more »
2 years 26 days ago

Milo Yiannopoulos linked to the Hayden Death Star. Now a lot of rebel scum will read it.

2 years 25 days ago

Good. May TNH learn that the peril of running around screaming “Notice me, Senpai!” is that sometimes Senpai notices and isn’t amused.

Cybrludite
Cybrludite
2 years 26 days ago

If Con-traflow ends up winning a Worldcon bid, I will make sure to throw an epic Sad Puppies room party.

2 years 26 days ago
“The award-winning writing talent of Sam J. Miller and Samuel Delany will be featured at the New York Review of SF Readings on April 21. Sam J. Miller is a writer and a community organizer.” says File 770. Hahaha. Miller’s also the gay guy whose story which included teenagers having sex is nominated for a Nebula. Delany supports NAMBLA. Bring all your kids. There’ll be a Santa, lollipops and balloons. Here’s what Miller wrote on his own blog about his story: “SPOILER ALERT: homophobes hated ‘We Are The Cloud.’ Tangent complained of its ‘offensive imagery of underage homosexuality in gratuitous… Read more »
ratseal
ratseal
2 years 25 days ago

If an author labeled a cismale member of the white patriarchy wrote a story which included depictions of underage lesbian sexual relations, or endorsed the North American Adult Male – Underage Girl Love Alliance, would that be cause for notice and approbation from our colleagues who post so often on Making Light?

Would Mr. Glyer be comfortable with it?

Hmm.

2 years 26 days ago

“…gender is more complex than the Western cultural norm of two genders (female and male): that there are more genders than two, that gender can be fluid, that gender exists in many forms,” – Alex Dally MacFarlane at Tor “SF” blog.

Translated into sane: ‘I really, REALLY hate reality, and I refuse to acknowledge it.’

Brian
Brian
2 years 25 days ago

That thread you linked didn’t seem so bad at first but now it is kinda disgusting.

I am not even going to bother posting over there due to the fact that they lock the thread and edit comments.

I have never once seen any SP say that they want the Hugo to be “Our” award. Just to be relevant to all of fandom.

Book
Book

Kate is taking over!? EXxxxcellent. 😀

2 years 25 days ago
‘I predict a backlash is about to wash over the Sad Puppies. And when it does, it’ll be interesting to see what happens next in our genre.” – Jason Sanford Oh, really? You mean SJWs can be even more racist and discriminatory towards straight white men? How will Sunil Patel at Lightspeed and Liz Bourke at Tor improve already not reviewing white men? Is Mary Robinette Kowal going to go after that last white guy she mentioned last year? “…only one award went to a white male and that wasn’t one of the ones voted on by the membership.” Well,… Read more »
2 years 24 days ago

It’s like the criminal who’s going ‘SEE WHAT YOU MADE ME DO!’ as they’re hurting other people deliberately.

It’s not THEIR fault that they’re hurting other people, and of COURSE they expect there to be some backlash because the natural order of things (as they see it) is being disturbed.

Cockroaches never like it when the light comes on, after all. There’s gonna be a backlash for being exposed as racist and discriminatory, all right. But it won’t be going in the direction THEY expect.

Joseph Capdepon II
Joseph Capdepon II
2 years 25 days ago
So over on Brad Torgeren’s latest blog, one Chris Gerrib had this to say. “Brad: as one of the people writing a proposal to “stop” the Sad Puppies, let me tell you why. The value of the Hugo is the integrity of the voters, and the idea that they are voting for what they think is the best. The worst thing that could happen to the Hugos is the perception</b? that to get one you need to know the right people and get on the right slate. If that happens, the Hugos become no more important than who won the… Read more »
John Van Stry
2 years 25 days ago

I remember when Chris used to haunt my LJ and that of several friends (not unlike Clamps). While his arguments were no better than those of Clamps, at least he never threatened anybody.
Still, we’d all hoped that maybe he’d managed to get a clue, but apparently the clue god has still not paid him a visit.

S1AL
S1AL
2 years 24 days ago

Gerrib is a demonstrated liar. I’ve proven it on three different blogs, including his. He also seems to think that he’s much more “in” than he actually is.

John Van Stry
2 years 24 days ago

Yeah, there is that.
BTW, does he still think he’s going to be a great author? I’m kind of curious if he ever published anything, wanted to see if he could write, and just -what- he would write.

He reminds me of someone I once knew in the USAF, and who I grew to despise because of their actions. Which probably isn’t fair, but he always seemed to act so much like that person, that it was hard not to equate him to them.

Khazlek
Khazlek
2 years 23 days ago

He has a novel, Pirates of Mars, that was published by what appears to be a small press called Haldey Rille Books.

The flesh and blood Chris is much more likable than the online version and doesn’t seem so inclined to call people liars.

2 years 23 days ago

A victim of Penny Arcade’s GIFT theory?

John Van Stry
2 years 23 days ago
Nathan, That may very well be true. I myself try very hard (and hope that I’ve gotten better over the years) to be at least passingly polite online. However I have been known to be a total obnoxious a$$ to people in face to face situations when I got tired of their BS. So no one can say I’m any worse online than in person, though perhaps I’ve mellowed some with age? As for his book, I actually went and did look it up. 5.99 is way to high a price for an unknown author on kindle however. He should… Read more »
Gremlin1974
Gremlin1974
2 years 21 days ago

Larry, took your advise and went over to Teresa’s site. Now that my nose has finally stopped bleeding and my IQ has returned back to to the land of triple digits let me just say; “Dang it Larry, that needs some kind of warning and disclaimer before you do that crap!”

🙂

Gremlin

seerak
seerak
2 years 8 days ago
Semi- on topic: I have been trying to locate something that I am fairly certain I saw on Instapundit sometime from 2005-2007; it was an item about some “progressives” meeting and discussing what they saw as a libertarian bent in sci-fi. I’ve been trying to find it ever since I heard about the Sad Puppies, wondering who these people were and what connection it might have had to the current situation. I haven’t been able to find it yet, but I did find something that seems to demonstrate that *something* happened over the last decade. Check out this essay by… Read more »
trackback

[…] me? Then wait until Saturday and find out. Or you can examine the evidence. Brad R. Torgersen and Larry Correia, who organized the campaign, have both written posts claiming a pending victory without actually […]

trackback

[…] The Sad Puppies slate didn’t take home any awards, save for their nomination of Guardians of the Galaxy. But they didn’t lose. Not by a longshot. Rather, they’re just getting started. Because they’ve not only proven the awards are easily rigged, but they’re gearing up to do it against next year with Kate Paulk at the helm. […]