BOOK BOMB! John C. Wright's AWAKE IN THE NIGHT LAND

Today we are Book Bombing John C. Wright’s Awake in the Night Land

Many of you already know John for being an awesome sci-fi writer. Personally, I found him because of his blog. http://www.scifiwright.com/ Like me, John is an out of the closet conservative. Only where I am blunt and sometimes crude, John is eloquent and intellectual. I’m a tetsubo. John is a rapier. I’ve got a lot of respect for his writing, and I don’t say this lightly but I really do believe he is our modern C.S. Lewis.

For example, this is the first thing of his that I read: http://www.scifiwright.com/2014/01/restless-heart-of-darkness-part-two/

Seriously… I was shocked to discover that A. This guy was on my side. B. He gets away with that while writing for Tor!

This new book is a collection of 4 interconnected novellas. However, it isn’t from Tor, it is from a new publisher, same place that did Kratman’s Boys Don’t Cry, and this house is run by somebody who is even more hated in left wing sci-fi than I am, so that is just icing on the cake. 🙂

The purpose behind a Book Bomb is to get as many people as possible to purchase a book on the same day. This causes it to move up the rankings until it gets on the different daily bestseller lists. The higher it gets, the more people who notice it, the more attention it gets, the more new readers the author picks up. All that means the author GETS PAID!  And you guys get a really good book to read, so everybody wins.

Right now it is sitting at:

Amazon Best Sellers Rank: #10,504 Paid in Kindle Store

I want to bump that up higher because I think John is a great writer and a voice of reason in the wilderness. So please tell your friends, repost this on your FB or Twitter or whatever you are in to.

Amazon used to update differently and book bombs would see movement in the first hour, but now it takes a few hours before there is anything significant.  So I’ll update the number during the day.

EDIT 1: Now we’re cooking.
Amazon Best Sellers Rank: #4,817 Paid in Kindle Store (See Top 100 Paid in Kindle Store)
#22 in Books > Literature & Fiction > Genre Fiction > Horror > Dark Fantasy
#25 in Kindle Store > Kindle eBooks > Literature & Fiction > Horror > Dark Fantasy
#61 in Books > Science Fiction & Fantasy > Science Fiction > Post-Apocalyptic

EDIT 2: Still moving up:
Amazon Best Sellers Rank: #4,073 Paid in Kindle Store (See Top 100 Paid in Kindle Store)
#17 in Books > Literature & Fiction > Genre Fiction > Horror > Dark Fantasy
#20 in Kindle Store > Kindle eBooks > Literature & Fiction > Horror > Dark Fantasy
#48 in Books > Science Fiction & Fantasy > Science Fiction > Post-Apocalyptic

EDIT 3: lunch time and we’re stil cooking:
Amazon Best Sellers Rank: #1,930 Paid in Kindle Store (See Top 100 Paid in Kindle Store)
#8 in Books > Literature & Fiction > Genre Fiction > Horror > Dark Fantasy
#10 in Kindle Store > Kindle eBooks > Literature & Fiction > Horror > Dark Fantasy
#18 in Books > Science Fiction & Fantasy > Science Fiction > Post-Apocalyptic

EDIT 4: 2:00 MST, and still climbing.
Amazon Best Sellers Rank: #1,158 Paid in Kindle Store (See Top 100 Paid in Kindle Store)
#5 in Books > Literature & Fiction > Genre Fiction > Horror > Dark Fantasy
#6 in Kindle Store > Kindle eBooks > Literature & Fiction > Horror > Dark Fantasy
#9 in Books > Science Fiction & Fantasy > Science Fiction > Post-Apocalyptic

EDIT 5: 3:47 mst. BOOM! Top 500 baby!
Amazon Best Sellers Rank: #532 Paid in Kindle Store (See Top 100 Paid in Kindle Store)
#3 in Books > Literature & Fiction > Genre Fiction > Horror > Dark Fantasy
#4 in Kindle Store > Kindle eBooks > Literature & Fiction > Horror > Dark Fantasy
#5 in Books > Science Fiction & Fantasy > Science Fiction > Post-Apocalyptic

EDIT 6: TOP 400! I’ll need to ask John if I have once again beaten the Tor marketing department. 🙂
Amazon Best Sellers Rank: #453 Paid in Kindle Store (See Top 100 Paid in Kindle Store)
#3 in Books > Literature & Fiction > Genre Fiction > Horror > Dark Fantasy
#5 in Books > Science Fiction & Fantasy > Science Fiction > Post-Apocalyptic

EDIT 7: Top 300 now. Making this a very successful book bomb!
Amazon Best Sellers Rank: #337 Paid in Kindle Store (See Top 100 Paid in Kindle Store)
#2 in Books > Science Fiction & Fantasy > Science Fiction > Post-Apocalyptic
#2 in Books > Literature & Fiction > Genre Fiction > Horror > Dark Fantasy
#2 in Kindle Store > Kindle eBooks > Literature & Fiction > Horror > Dark Fantasy

EDIT 8: Still squeeking up. 🙂
Amazon Best Sellers Rank: #290 Paid in Kindle Store (See Top 100 Paid in Kindle Store)
#2 in Books > Literature & Fiction > Genre Fiction > Horror > Dark Fantasy
#2 in Books > Science Fiction & Fantasy > Science Fiction > Post-Apocalyptic

Larry F. Correia, International Lord of Hate
Geeky Hobbies, quick painting WiP

60 Comments on "BOOK BOMB! John C. Wright's AWAKE IN THE NIGHT LAND"

Paul (Drak Bibliophile) Howard
Paul (Drak Bibliophile) Howard

Target Destroyed!! Sorry, I meant I’ve purchased it. [Grin]

John Henry
John Henry

Wow. Having started to read the essay linked above, I was pleasantly surprised to find the comparison to C.S. Lewis completely deserved. If John Wright’s fiction is as enjoyable as his commentary, I’m thinking this will be the best $5 I’ve spent in a long time.

RightWingProf
RightWingProf

That may be the only time (even in extreme snark-mode) that someone has ever described one of your screeds this way: “Mr Larry Correia conducts an incisive, warm, and final deconstruction of the true meaning of Miss Macfarlane’s disquisition for your edification and amusement.” That alone makes me want to buy read his book

RightWingProf
RightWingProf

Just bought it (and bought his orphans of Chaos too for good measure. Been looking for a new author who’s written at least a few books (once I find a good one I tend to stick with them through multiple books), and he fits the bill.

dyingearth
dyingearth

Chronicle of Chaos does dip heavily into mythology and mathematics. It’s on my many many repeat reading list. Hopefully JC Wright will have time to go back and write Exiles of Chaos in the future.

Jake Simon
Jake Simon

Purchased!

rawlenyanzi

“#4,817 Paid in Kindle Store”

The Guardian will not be pleased with us. 🙂 They’re probably already petitioning the British government to ban it so their fragile little feelings would never be hurt.

trackback

[…] Correia is Book Bombing John C. Wright’s new *coughfanficcompilationcough* Awake in the Night Land, which is […]

B
B

Done. I’ve been waiting on that to come out. 🙂 I discovered William Hope Hodgson a few years ago thanks to Project Gutenberg. Totally blown away. The Night Land is in a class by itself. BTW, if anyone on here hasn’t read Hodgson’s The House on the Borderland, you’re really missing out. I’ve read all of his stuff and I still can’t believe how many people aren’t familiar with him.

And I am totally on board with the comparison of Wright to C.S.Lewis. Spend 30 minutes reading his blog and you’ll agree.

Samrobb

Second the awesomeness of The House on the Borderland. Now that I’ve taken the time to throw some more of my money at Mr. Wright, I’m going to have to visit Project Gutenberg and pick up some of the Hodgson I’ve missed out on.

B
B
His “Carnacki, The Ghost Finder” series is good as is the two Sargasso “trilogies”. I wish he’d done more of the Carnacki stuff. He was literally the first “Ghostbuster” by using science to try and explain the supernatural. The Carnacki story, “The Hog”, is probably the best. One of the things I like about his stories, and what probably attracted Lovecraft to him as well, was that he didn’t feel the need to have to explain every little thing that happened. Horrible shit sometimes happened and it was so far above the pay grade of humans it wasn’t worth worrying… Read more »
rawlenyanzi

“#4,073 Paid in Kindle Store”

We’re going places now!

Don McKinley
Don McKinley

“…tell[s] the haunting tale of the Last Redoubt of Man and the end of the human race”

Apparently some of it has appeared before, so for anyone who has read it yet, is the book as depressing as the Amazon blurb makes it sound?

VD
VD

It is not depressing. Quite the contrary. It is inspiring, but the contrasts in which Wright paints with his words are probably more extreme than anything you have experienced before outside of Tolkien.

Is The Lord of the Rings depressing? Parts of it, yes. But the low points make the high points all the more exhilarating.

Chris Thomas
Chris Thomas

Hahaha… I just drank the Koolaid too… 🙂

Richard Greenacre
Richard Greenacre

Brought it on the recommendation and just the first few pages alone.

JartStar
JartStar

The book is dark, very dark at times but certainly not depressing. Without a doubt the light of the human spirit when facing despair and apparent hopelessness shines brightly.

Anthony Pacheco

I can’t wait to read this.

Joshua
Joshua

That “Restless Heart of Darkness” essay was my first exposure to John C. Wright as well, and it floored me. Absolutely amazingly written.

rawlenyanzi

“#1,930 Paid in Kindle Store”

From small steps to giant leaps. Let’s keep this baby going.

BornLib

Just bought it.

Also, I know you’ve promoted Peter Grant’s work before so I doubt you’ll mind my mentioning here that his first novel, “Take The Star Road” is 99 cents right now in the Kindle store.

Dave
Dave

thanks for the heads up…grabbed it (& Awake… screw the yard work)

rawlenyanzi

“#1,158 Paid in Kindle Store”

The book continues its relentless climb!

BornLib

#532 Paid in Kindle Store

BornLib

#453 Paid in Kindle Store

CMB
CMB

Oops, sorry Larry. The colonel posted an add for it today so I bought it before the book bomb started.

timothympollard

It’s also doing pretty well on Smashwords, which is where I prefer to buy my ebooks:

It’s #2 in Fiction » Science fiction » Apocalyptic, and #7 in Fiction » Fantasy » Epic (Smashwords doesn’t report this info on the book page, but you can see it just by opening the bestseller list)

BornLib

If I followed your directions right, it’s now #1 and #5 in those Smashwords lists respectively.

timothympollard

It’s now #1 in Fiction » Science fiction » Apocalyptic and #2 in Fiction » Fantasy » Epic

Expendable Henchman
Expendable Henchman

Wow, thanks for the intro to SmashWords. Multiple copies in different formats to fit whatever reader you happen to own. DRM free.

Baen should sue for stealing their sales model.

Or at least, SmashWords should give you a cut of all the future money I’m going to throw at them…

timothympollard
You’re welcome. I’m pretty fond of SmashWords myself. It is missing a reasonable bit of stuff that Amazon has though, especially anything that’s in Amazon Prime, which includes most of the novellas from Castalia House (Wright’s Publisher for this book), though they have a fair few self-published works that Amazon doesn’t have (including the free short story I published a few weeks ago: http://www.smashwords.com/books/view/421892 *) I suppose I could have used a referral link instead, but that seems kind of rude to do on someone else’s blog. I guess I’ll just have to live with the good feelings that come… Read more »
SirBrass
SirBrass

There goes my $5! 😀 Book bought 😀

BornLib
Okay, so what does #453 Paid in Kindle Store get you in genre ranks? So now it’s the #1 Hot New Release in Dark Fantasy and the #3 Best Seller in Dark Fantasy. Going up to the parent category, it’s the #3 Hot New Release in Horror Literature & Fiction and the #9 Best Seller in Horror Literature & Fiction. Going up yet another level, it’s the #38 Hot New Release in Genre Literature & Fiction. Going from another genre, it’s the #3 Hot New Release in Post-Apocalyptic Science Fiction and the #5 Best Seller in Post-Apocalyptic Science Fiction. It’s… Read more »
BornLib

Oh and those Hot New Release and Best Seller ranks are in Books, not just the Kindle Store. Awake in the Night Land is the Kindle #77 Hot New Release in Literature & Fiction. That’s ALL Kindle fiction.

Patrick Mullane

Normally I’d be inclined to purchase what Mr. Correia suggests, but now given he has been marked down as an enemy of all that is good by the Guardian newspaper, it is a definite purchase.

Fail Burton
Fail Burton
What is interesting is to contrast how the PC would do this. Were this a PC initiative, we’d be hearing about how non-Western the book is and hopefully how female, gay, and non-white it is. And yet the PC are the ones who talk about homophobia, racism, and sexism. And of course the book itself would be nothing more than a conversation piece that is little discussed, put on the back burner for what’s really important- race and gender. Orwell’s kiddies have been rather quiet of late. I think it’s dawning on Scalzi and company how badly they’ve been chumped… Read more »
Expendable Henchman
Expendable Henchman

I just can’t bring myself to believe that *anything* can dawn upon the glittery hooha crowd. They simply can’t afford to open their eyes and see the light of any kind.

I recall as a young boy in school how we all wondered how anyone, anywhere could have been stupid enough to ride their own societies straight into the hells that history is so full of.

Now, I just to watch the news. Or read blogs. Or listen to pretty much any conversation, anywhere.

Mark McSherry
Mark McSherry

Don’t forget- You can also Book Bomb the Kindle book as a gift.

BornLib

Amazon Best Sellers Rank: #337 Paid in Kindle Store
#2 in Books > Science Fiction & Fantasy > Science Fiction > Post-Apocalyptic
#25 in Books > Science Fiction & Fantasy > Science Fiction
#48 in Books > Science Fiction & Fantasy

#2 in Books > Literature & Fiction > Genre Fiction > Horror > Dark Fantasy
#4 in Books > Literature & Fiction > Genre Fiction > Horror
#79 in Books > Literature & Fiction > Genre Fiction

#3 in Kindle Store > Kindle eBooks > Literature & Fiction > Horror

BornLib

Correction, those genre stats are based on the updated Amazon Best Sellers Rank: #313 Paid in Kindle Store

jack
jack

I was going to save Awake for the upcoming vacation trip. Can’t do it. I’m weak. Too many great comments….I start in a few minutes. May the Good Lord have mercy on my soul.

Expendable Henchman
Expendable Henchman

Jack, we live in the information age. For all it’s faults, one thing we’re not lacking for is reading material.

I’ve noticed that the more I read, the more I discover I want to read.

Knock yourself out.

C.S.Gilmore
C.S.Gilmore

I saw that Awake in the night land made number 2 on a bunch of lists. My question now is what are or were numbers 1 and 3?

BornLib
Revelations by Paul Antony Jones #1 in Books > Science Fiction & Fantasy > Science Fiction > Post-Apocalyptic Sand Omnibus by Hugh Howey #3 in Books > Science Fiction & Fantasy > Science Fiction > Post-Apocalyptic A Kiss of Shadows by Laurell K. Hamilton #1 in Books > Literature & Fiction > Genre Fiction > Horror > Dark Fantasy This is the End: The Post-Apocalyptic…by J. Thorn #3 in Books > Literature & Fiction > Genre Fiction > Horror > Dark Fantasy A Kiss of Shadows by Laurell K. Hamilton #1 in Kindle Store > Kindle eBooks > Literature &… Read more »
C.S.Gilmore
C.S.Gilmore

Thanks. Those sound like some potentially good reads as well.

trackback

[…] I couldn’t let today pass without urging everyone’s participation in the Book Bomb that Larry Correia is holding to promote Awake in the Night Land by John C. […]

rawlenyanzi

“#288 Paid in Kindle Store”

Even now, the book rises.

mekadave5

Just purchased, still showing at #288

rawlenyanzi

Books like this aren’t my cup of tea, but it’s good to see Wright get up there.

BornLib