Leland Yee, Super Villain

Senator Leland Yee (D California)

Senator Leland Yee (D California)

I’ve got to hand it to Democrat state senator, Leland Yee. Most political scandals are the typical drug use, hookers, or bribery stuff. This guy reaches for the stars.  He isn’t messing around. There is no half assed corruption here. If Yee had a machine that could control the weather he’d be a Batman villain.

The part that makes this all so awesome and hilarious is that the only reason people like me know who Yee is, is because he’s the primary asshole behind disarming law abiding Californians. Yes. He is the anti-gun poster child. He has an A+ from the Brady Center morons. (Hmmm… Now that he’s been caught smuggling rocket launchers to Muslim rebels, but he’s still a democrat, they might downgrade him to a B).

So, regular Californians can’t own an AR-15, but Chinese drug lords, no problemo. Law abiding citizen protected by the 2nd Amendment, go to hell. Murderous scumbag criminals, good to hook. This plan seems to work for Eric Holder too.

The other part that makes this funny as hell is that he is also the anti violent video game guy… Yee is the crusading liberal who has been out there trying to get violent video games banned. Because won’t somebody think of the children!

Let that sink in for a delicious moment.

Grand Theft Auto? Hell, he doesn’t need to play it. Leland Yee LIVES Grand Theft Auto. If only he hadn’t been exposed to Call of Duty, then he wouldn’t have been so tempted to smuggle machineguns to MILF. And yes. The rebels were actually called MILF (Moro Islamic Liberation Front) So when you hear that a Green Beret bagged a MILF, it really could go either way.

Of coure you probably haven’t seen too much of this on the regular news, because Yee is a democrat, and thus his scandal is totally not newsworthy. I saw a thing where Yee’s bust had gotten a grand total of like 30 seconds of coverage on CNN, in between long reports of how Chris Christe may possibly have blocked traffic.

Think about that. Sure, I know that CNN is basically the marketing department of the DNC, but this story has everything. It is implausible. It is ridiculous. It is Breaking Bad only more absurd. His Chinese mafia contact was named Shrimp Boy Chow! How the hell can you not report on a respected elected official making millions of dollars from rebels MILFs and a mob boss actually named SHRIMP BOY CHOW!

Nope. You’re gonna get long reports about boring ass Chris Christie and his being a jerk. I’m not a Christie fan, at all. He’s a republican electable in New Jersey, enough said. But oh no! He might have shut down a bridge out of spite! That’s worth hundreds and hundreds of hours of coverage…

But, but SHRIMP BOY!

Yee is like the tenth democrat busted recently for corruption, only he is so much more awesome at it than those losers. Mayor with hookers and blow? BORING. Yee smokes those chumps. He is a rock star. And before the moral equivelency police show up to bark at me about how the parties are exactly the same… Holy moly, you must suck at statistical analysis. But democrats being corrupt shouldn’t come as a surprise, since for the last five years their highest echelon has been allowed to totally get away with insane scandals like Fast & Furious, or using the IRS to punish political enemies. When that kind of behavior is excused, why wouldn’t it trickle down? The fish rots from the head. And with the supposed watch dogs of the media not doing their job, what’s a little gun smuggling between friends?

I’ve already seen some democrats trying to explain away Yee, like he was no big deal. He was just some minor little dude… He’s only a state senator after all… (and I believe the 3rd or 4th California democrat state legislator to get arrested recently). Except for the part where he was a state super star, and he was running for Secretary of State. And when Harry Potter finally finds and destroys Nancy Pelosi’s last Horcrux, then Yee was going to take her spot. (I’m actually not sure if California even still has elections or if their godking just appoints the democrat of his choice to oversee the peasants in their various fiefs).

Leland Yee should be all over the news, but since he’s a democrat it will be the duty of us crusading journalist type bloggers to spread the truth. These are the facts I have so far:

– Leland Yee originally came to the FBI’s attention after selling guns to a motorcycle gang known as the Sons of Anarchy. Ron Perlman was unavailable for comment.

– FBI investigated and discovered that an RV registered to one Wynn Duffy was parked in Leland Yee’s driveway. It is believed that Leland Yee was the triggerman who recently shot Chief Deputy Art Mullen.

– Leland Yee is part owner of a chain of fast food chicken restaurants named Los Pollos Hermanos.

– Leland Yee must sacrifice a girl with green eyes so that he may be made flesh again.

– Leland Yee would have got away with it too, if it hadn’t been for you meddling kids.

EDIT: BREAKING NEWS! It was just confirmed that to replace Leland Yee, California is appointing respected educator and heroic cancer survivor Walter White to take Yee’s seat.

Today is the Deadline for SAD PUPPIES!
The Drowning Empire, Episode 50: Shogun Wedding

301 Comments on "Leland Yee, Super Villain"

1 year 5 months ago

Chinese girls do not come with green eyes.

Andrew

Best thing all day

Erik from Seattle

My life is complete.

Shane

That takes me back…

jimmythetulip

Beautiful.

1 year 4 months ago

As a general rule, you are correct that they don’t. However, as film-makers are not bound by reality, Big Trouble In Little China made the intended victim a green-eyed girl.

1 year 4 months ago

I was quoting directly from the brothel madam.

:P

Chuckles
1 year 4 months ago

Then you aren’t doing it right.

1 year 4 months ago

Green “eyes”? Or… “Green-eyed monster”?

1 year 5 months ago

I’m glad you covered it. I wasn’t going to touch it with a pair of Tongs.

Though I understand when he met with the FBI, he thought he was interviewing for Eric Holder’s job.

Or maybe he thought he was creating a single payer gun industry.

And remember: Guns for Yee, but not for thee.

SirBrass
1 year 5 months ago

You had me at “pair of Tongs.” If this keeps up, this will trump the great Cookie Monster thread.

1 year 5 months ago

On the bright side, this Yee case seems to indicate there are federal agencies that can investigate and enforce federal arms laws without the ATF’s expertise or shooting someone’s dog.

Tarl
1 year 5 months ago

Yeah but if anyone deserved a pre-dawn no-knock raid from the Stosstrupp Eric Holder, it was Yee. He was a gun runner in league with terrorists, for God’s sake!

SirBrass
1 year 5 months ago

The whole “Army Rangers bag MILFs” sounds like a duffleblog headline.

1 year 5 months ago

And just LOOK at the sentences on the menu. . . with TWO guns, you get Hard Time. . .

1 year 4 months ago

….and maybe even Long time…..

…baby….

1 year 5 months ago

“Pair of Tongs”! Mike, you owe me for Mountain Dew-spray-related monitor damage! LOL!

1 year 4 months ago

I have a WoW character named Rheeloi Jenkins … he doesn’t hold a candle to Yee.

CombatMissionary
1 year 4 months ago

If I was a girl, I would have just peed a little.
Was that gendernormative of me?

Stbeeman

Pair of Tongs…now I can’t breathe! :D

1 year 5 months ago

It shouldn’t be surprising that a gun smuggler would be a gun prohibitionist. It’s not like he can make money smuggling a legal product.

1 year 5 months ago

Moonbat theory here. All the D FBI busts recently to get them out of they way while they save Rs for just before the next election.

LittleRed1
1 year 5 months ago

I was wondering if the CA Ds are cleaning house (and senate) because of an internal political power battle. And Yee and co came out on the losing end. *shrug* I stick at conspiracy games.

junior
1 year 4 months ago

It’s possible that this is political payback, actually. The Dems in California’s government thought that they finally had the votes to do away with Prop 209 (the one that officially abolished affirmative action in many state facilities; unofficially…). But at the last minute, the Asian-Americans realized that officially allowing race quotas back in would be a very bad thing (since they’re the one racial minority that quotas always discriminate against). So the Asian-American block of Dem legislators reversed their votes at the last moment. And pretty much immediately after, Yee’s wrong-doing was made public.

Maybe it’s a coincidence. That’s an awfully serious charge for mere political payback. But maybe it isn’t…

1 year 5 months ago

Not crazy at all. Starting in Aug-Sept. time frame, let’s see how many GOP scandals are broken by DOJ.

Kind of sad that we are now just accepting the idea that pols will be caught with their hands in the till.

It’s a power struggle:

1 year 5 months ago

“He got busted in an FBI sting, taking millions of dollars in bribes, to smuggle RPGs and machineguns through brutal Chinese tong gangs, through the Ukraine, to rebel insurgents in the Phillipines. No. I’m not making any of that up.”

Please tell me I’m not the only one hoping this guy makes an appearance in an upcoming Dead Six book?

SirBrass
1 year 5 months ago

He might. Or am I the only one who thinks that Salah Jihan is Lo Pan…

Larry’s going to do it somehow. Yee fits in way too well with Majestic.

1 year 5 months ago

I can’t say that I didn’t see Salah Jihan as Lo Pan.

And now I’m flogging myself for the mistake.

Stg58/Animal Mother
1 year 5 months ago

He is obviously a gangster who got into politics to cover his crimes. It’s the perfect cover. Who would suspect an anti gun politician of Leland Yee’s stature to be a gun smuggler?

I think it is brilliant.

Thomas Monaghan
1 year 5 months ago

The interesting thing is that it’s going to be a long while before he gets acted upon by the California Senate. It seems if they lose one Democrat Senator they will lose their 2/3rds majority and the way the budget works in CA. they’ll have to get a Republican to support those bills. Take Senator Wright. Earlier this year, Wright was found guilty of eight counts of voter fraud and perjury related to charges that he lied about his residence when he ran for office in 2008.

Republican legislators have pushed to expel Wright from the Senate, but he is on indefinite leave of absence until his sentencing, expected sometime in May.
So the Democrats still have there 2/3 majority for now.

expendablehenchman
1 year 4 months ago

He’s from SF, so I doubt the D’s would lose the seat.

Expendable Henchman
1 year 4 months ago

Larry, I, Expendable Henchman, am in the midst of moving email addresses, so this is a separate account, but it’s still me. The guy who toted the book with machined covers the other day. Thanks.

1 year 5 months ago

We MUST obsessively report on Christie! He’s a Threat! He’s dangerous! He’s clearly twice the man Obama is!
(“By volume.”
*chortles*
“Good one!”)

This other guy is obviously just a patriot Ollie North-ing some Freedom Fighters in some place far away with funny names.

DID WE MENTION CHRISTIE BLOCKED TRAFFIC BECAUSE HE’S A BIG MEANIEFACE??!!!?!
(“See? Pointing out the big there again.”
“Is the meme trending yet?”
“Do more hashtags.”
“Gotcha boss!”)

Joe in PNG
1 year 5 months ago

And if that fails…”Lost Airplane!” “Lost Airplane!!” “LOST FREAKING AIRPLANE!!!!”

SirBrass
1 year 4 months ago

Which is funny b/c it’s not even remotely connected to us (or US, whichever way you want to think about it :P ), yet we’ve got to cover it incessently. Granted, I’m darned curious to know what happened (and the sooner they find the data and voice recorders at the bottom of the Indian Ocean, the sonner the conspiracy theories can die the death of being exposed to the light), but it’s hardly our business and can take a major back seat to local issues such as this one.

M. Kupari
1 year 5 months ago

I hope this is fat-free irony, because it is DELICIOUS. NOM NOM NOM.

BobtheRegisterredFool
1 year 5 months ago

I’m not sure if the comment about Lee personally being a murderer is serious or not.

On the one hand, Democrats will be Democrats.

On the other, it doesn’t quite fit the pattern I’d expect.

On the gripping hand, I’ve missed enough sleep that I’m not at my best.

SirBrass
1 year 5 months ago

Murder for hire certainly does fit the pattern of the corruptocrats in the DNC. Just look at their track record over their history. LOOOONG history of being associated and supporting those people who take pleasure in or professional eliminate people for a living.

I have to say I was surprise by this thing with Yee, but not really. Shocked that they actually arrested him on the substantial charges, not surprised that a democrat anti-gunner from CA was running guns. Not surprised one bit. I am loving the irony, however.

Shift_Master
1 year 4 months ago

“On the gripping hand”, I love that reference!

1 year 5 months ago

Sad thing is even here is Cali we are hardly hearing jack all about this case. And of course he wanted guns band from the law abiding citizens easier to have you gang buddies to do business.

liz
1 year 4 months ago

Locally, as a Bay Area resident I’m really surprised that this isn’t bigger news. Living 40 miles from San Francisco its the headlines on every newspaper and the top story in the news. Reporters have been making themselves a nuisances at every residence he owns. “Shrimp Boy” is on the lips of every reporter they are loving this story. Its actually pretty disappointing how this story isn’t getting the national attention it deserves. The public locally is ready to stone the man.

WoodyTX

“Everybody must get stoned!” – Bob Dylan

av willis
1 year 5 months ago

The second funniest coverage I’ve seen on this story, and even that’s because your version didn’t have danny trejo in it

1 year 5 months ago

I have to disagree, Larry. He lacks only a fancy name to make him a Batman villain. A weather control device would make him a Superman villain.

Andrew
1 year 5 months ago

He makes a decent low level Spider Man villain, aside from location.

Andrew
1 year 5 months ago

Maybe a good Cap villain.

1 year 5 months ago

Seems like he might be in league with the Mandarin…

DevlinMcKeon
1 year 5 months ago

Wasn’t Tombstone a gunrunner originally?

1 year 5 months ago

I can see the Punisher going after him. Hey Chuck Dixon, we need your expertise!

the Northwestern Diamondback

No, really, call Tony Stark. Doesn’t he live in Malibu? LOL

1 year 5 months ago

Someone needs to make a reality show out of this.

Real Politicians of California

1 year 4 months ago

Exactly! I don’t watch the reality cat-fights, but I could make an exception for this.

SirBrass

COPS: Political Edition

“Bad boys, bad girls, who ya gonna sue, who ya gonna sue after we’ve got the cuffs on you?”

1 year 4 months ago

I’m just waiting for Law & Order version…

Shrimp
1 month 26 days ago

Yeah, but in the Law and Odor version, it’ll be a R behind his name, and he’ll be trafficking guns to White Supremacist Neo-Nazi Militia members in Idaho. Or something.

ThomasW
1 year 5 months ago

This report gives another reason to be glad President Obama was reelected. With a Republican president this would be labeled a right wing political attack, now the left is reduced to arguing against electing crooks to office.

Andrew
1 year 5 months ago

Now taking odds on his reelection.

1 year 5 months ago

DANG IT! I thought Breaking Bad was fictional, not a documentary! But Walter White is taking Yee’s seat. Now I have to readjust my entire worldview.

At least, it would be easier than swallowing some of the stuff the media tries to feed us.

1 year 5 months ago

I find this hilarious, as just last week I predicted this crap would happen. Hooray for shameless self promotion! http://eccentriccowboy.blogspot.com/2014/03/gun-control-why-it-is-unofficially-dead.html

But WOW this takes the cake. I thought Philipino bush gunsmiths and Mafioso-esque smuggling were worthy of pause for thought. But now it’s like the democrats are actively trying to prove us right. I don’t even have to come up with well constructed arguments anymore with this kind of crap going on. All I have to do is point to these dudes and say “Told ya so.”

Ygolonac
1 year 5 months ago

Videogame nerds should immediately assume that this is all the Alternate Reality Game run-up for a sequel to the awesomely violent 2012 release, Sleeping Dogs.

“LELAND YEE, M**********R!” (leaps onto a BART train in slo-mo while shooting an MP5k)

CombatMissionary
1 year 4 months ago

Will Samuel L. “M***********G” Jackson be doing the voice acting for that game?

baloocartoons
1 year 5 months ago

You write funny, and I really appreciate that sort of thing. You’re linked here:

[…] (Read the rest HERE. It continues to be a scream.) ——– Quibcag: I don’t know who the girl is, but I found her HERE. […]

M. Kupari
Joe in PNG
1 year 5 months ago

Meanwhile, at Minitru, the Party members are busy filing stories about Mr. Yee- right down the old Memory Hole.

Fred
1 year 5 months ago

I actually read the article on Yahoo the other day. The article talked about Mr. Yee and then some Republican Governor from NJ and it wasn’t until I got to the end of the article did they even mention he was a democrat. I still say vote all incumbents out regardless of party. That’s been my voting policy for 25 years.

Wes S.
1 year 5 months ago

I suspect that the only reason the feds busted Yee is because his efforts were taking gunrunning business away from the ATF, and they wanted to eliminate the competition.

1 year 5 months ago

So um… short version of the plot (I read the entire affidavit so you won’t have to)

FBI Is investigating a Tong. Donation packager from Yee gets the Tong’s front recognized by a CA Senate proclamation in exchange for campaign donations. FBI is still investigating Tong. Guys with connections to the Tong sell guns and body armor to the FBI (including body armor stolen from the FBI.) FBI guy wants more guns. Yee offers to set up a deal with a Russian arms dealer. (again in exchange for campaign donations) Deal never happens. Yee instead offers to set up a deal with MILF guys because they need money. Yee’s lackey also says that Yee used MILF thugs as bodyguards during his last visit to the Phillipines, and that MILF was being backed by Kadaffi before his demise and thus need money. FBI guy is introduced to the gun runner, who is willing to sell machine guns and RPGs ( and Yee knew FBI guy wanted machine guns and RPGs.) Tong guys are picked up on drug trafficking and money laundering. Yee and his lackey are picked up on taking bribes and gun running.

Yes, this is the same Yee that proposed a bill preventing us peasants from owning any semi-automatic rifles.

1 year 5 months ago

Late breaking news: Philippine Gov’t must have just found out that the MILF has US Democrat backing, because they just signed a peace agreement.

So apparently Yee isn’t really that unqualified as a secretary of state.

Kristophr
1 year 4 months ago

Obama will always support the war against US hegemony.

1 year 4 months ago

Obama will always support the war against US hegemony.

In other words, he will always “adhere to their [The United States] enemies, giving them aid and comfort.”

I agree. Where we may disagree (depending on whether you were serious or sarcastic) is in the implications of that.

C.S.Gilmore
1 year 4 months ago

I am almost unsure if this is real or not just because of the craziness of it, or maybe its just the fun way Larry presents it.

Anyway, it’s not all that surprising really. Thanks for sharing something awesome about stupid government officials.
Note if there are any smart government officials reading this than I wish you the best of luck dealing with the stupid ones. :)

junior
1 year 4 months ago

California State Senate Leader Darrell Steinberg explains that gun-running wasn’t covered during ethics training (contains video) –

1 year 4 months ago

Apparently, they have to explicitly cover what is legal and illegal for members of the CA Assembly, because they, apparently, assume that normal laws don’t apply to them once elected.

1 year 4 months ago

Larry, so when you gonna get around to selling a Best of MHN posts? This is another one to make the cut!

8HeadsTall
1 year 4 months ago

Nancy Pelosi will not meet her end by the destruction of Horcrux. Her end will come by a bucket of water. And she will leave behind a bunch of flying monkeys we will have to deal with. Poo flinging flying monkeys at that.

1 year 4 months ago

Great piece Larry… Submitting as my non-council submission for The Watcher’s Council this week. Here’s my take from yesterday: http://noisyroom.net/blog/2014/03/28/leland-yee-gun-runner-terrorist-enabler-progressive-communist/ Just too good to pass up. Golden. ;)

Terresa Monroe-Hamilton
NoisyRoom.net
trevorloudon.com / New Zeal
KeyWiki.org

Kevin Findley
1 year 4 months ago

Yee has been suspended, but is still drawing his almost $100K salary. Anyone out there hear if his accounts (at least the legitimate ones) have been frozen by the FBI yet?

1 year 4 months ago

You guys are missing the obvious here. I’m kind of surprised.

If (as all Dems would have you believe) all conservatives who are against gay marriage are secretly homosexual, then all anti-gun liberals are secretly gunrunners.

WE HAVE EMPIRICAL EVIDENCE NOW!11!1!

hygate
1 year 4 months ago

I happened to watch “Big Time in Little China” on netflix last night, so I found this post to be exceptionally awesome.

hygate
1 year 4 months ago

Also, totally OT. I selected funk radio on Pandora, and they are playing Michael Jackson tunes on occasion! Michael Jackson is not, in any fashion whatsoever, funk. Got to down thumb that.

B
1 year 4 months ago

Aaaaaand over on the East Coast, you have the Dem mayor of Charlotte getting busted last week for….well, just read it:

“Patrick Cannon, the Mayor of Charlotte, NC was arrested today and accused of accepting nearly $48,000 in bribes during a four-year-long FBI sting. A good portion of those bribes came in the form of a quote-unquote investment into one of Cannon’s business ventures: a “feminine hygiene product” called “Hers”.

1 year 4 months ago

Reblogged this on Enlightening, i'n't it?.

Jonathan
1 year 4 months ago

The Taiwanese have not overlooked this story, but created this funny animated clip:

1 year 4 months ago

Epic! I love those Taiwanese animation videos.

dyingearth

Here’s the video in English

Levi
1 year 4 months ago

Worth watching to the very end! Awesome.

dyingearth
1 year 4 months ago

Yes, he dropped the soap.

1 year 4 months ago

I’m (re-)writing a P&P RPG setting, the auld game Torg. It’s an action-movie RPG, and as I’m writing the background, I put in the most cinematic material I can. Then the real world insists on either duping it or topping it.

I wrote about widespread demonstrations and the government collapsing… in Egypt… a month before it happened IRL.

This story, this exact story, is something right out of Nippon Tech (the Martial Arts Technothriller Reality). Which (in the canon) is set in China, Japan… and California.

It’s colossally insane, that the real world seems obsessed with throwing up current events that not only top my over-the-top ideas, but sound exactly like a run-up to the game. (Examples here: http://daddywarpig.wordpress.com/tag/countdown-to-armageddon/page/4/ )

Also, funniest coverage of the Yee story yet. If it wouldn’t cut into your valuable MHI-writing time, I’d suggest forming the CWS (Correia Wire Service) and selling news stories to papers and stations too lazy to investigate these crimes.

But it would, so I’m not suggesting that. :)

illustar
1 year 4 months ago

The other day I happened to catch an NPR report (it interrupts my classical station) that was apparently about this story. I wasn’t really paying attention, but the only thing I remember is that they tackled the “Shrimp Boy” bit like a human interest story. They had a sound bite from some friend of his, explaining that it was a name his aunt/grandma/whoever gave him wen he was young, because he was really small. Apparently he’s 5’5″ as an adult. Maybe it’s just me, but….. I don’t think that’s really the approach a news organization should be taking on a case like this.

Christopher
1 year 4 months ago

Mr.: Correia, I’ve been a reader of your blog for some time now & like your political essays more than your books even. :D

Is there any chance I could get you to help endorse Greg Brannon for NC senate? He’s been endorsed by your senator Mike Lee already but I’d ask anyway as this is really important to me. He’s the first person in 8 years that I’ve been following politics that I believe in enough to campaign for.

Money is great & useful, but just an endorsement would be swell too. :)

Fruitbat44
1 year 4 months ago

Errr . . . he’s been arrested, but he hasn’t yet actually been convicted of anything. Has he?

1 year 4 months ago

We are still awaiting the hilarity of his trial, fruitbat.

1 year 4 months ago

Besides, why do we have to wait for a trial? When it’s a Republican the accusation alone is sufficient for condemnation.

av willis
1 year 4 months ago

Heck it’s gotten to the point where they don’t even need to wait for the accusation. Any time something goes wrong-the boston bombing, a shooting at a mother’s day parade in New Orleans, the navy yard shooting- the default reaction is “it must be those dastardly Tea Party yokels”.

Expendable Henchman
1 year 4 months ago

Read the 138 page complaint. It’s a fairly decent thriller, at least by current SF award writing standards.

Plus, it’s based on a true story! Seriously, he’s screwed.

1 year 4 months ago

Democrat, Republican, it doesn’t matter. Nine times out of ten they are rotten to the core. Even the “independents” are the lowest of the low. This country used to elect people fresh from the street who knew the struggles of the “average man” now we are pigeonholed into electing people that come from long lines of wealth, privilege, or general “easy living”.

How about we start voting for people that might actually know what it feels like to work for crap pay, to work for hours on end breaking one’s back just for a meager paycheck, or that knows that guns don’t kill people, but idiots with guns kill people.

It’s foolish not to believe one party is more “good” than the other. Democrats enslave with speech, Republicans enslave with brute force. Not one is better than the other and these kind of stories should not come as a surprise.

DaveP.
1 year 4 months ago

Care to name the last time Republicans enslaved with brute force?

1 year 4 months ago

I would say when Rick Scott tried to enforce mandatory drug testing to welfare recipients was a brute force way of adding another ridiculous standard.

Of course it does show how one sided people can get when the only thing they take from my comment is “We all know Democrats are evil but Republicans are stalwart defenders of good!”

The simple fact of my post is each side has a majority of terrible people running the show.

1 year 4 months ago

The question was “enslaved” by “brute force.” Requiring drug testing as a condition of receiving government funds does not meet either criteria.

So unless you’ve got an actual example, we’ll just chalk up your post to empty rhetoric, m’kay?

1 year 4 months ago

I’ll contest defeat when I see it, but I have noticed a lot of people haven’t really been calling any of my outrageous rhetoric against democrats “empty”.

If anything I can chalk it up to a social experiment. The fact remains being blindly faithful to either party is not intelligent. A two party system will destroy this country and as far as I can tell for the past 14 years that is exactly what it was doing.

Bush was horrible. Obama is horrible. The shame is whoever wins in 2016 we all lose.

1 year 4 months ago

And they are working assiduously as a party to accomplish all of those.

They complain publicly about things like the “Patriot Act” while actually voting for them and voting to renew> them, even when they had a supermajority in both houses of Congress and the White House. They pass ever more restrictions on the people while calling it “rights” and “liberty.” “Rights” that, rather than being something the government is forbidden from taking away, are something you force other people to provide. (Newspeak is with us).

And then you come in here and try to play the moral equivalence card?

Does the Republican party have its problems? Absolutely. Is it, actually pretty bad (from my perspective)? Absolutely, particularly when it tries to act like “Democrat Lite” (I’m looking at you John, “tower of jello” Boehner, and you Graham, and you McCain.) Does that make the parties “the same” or even equally bad? Excuse me while I split a gut laughing.

Maybe your “rhetoric” isn’t as “empty” as you think it is.

1 year 4 months ago

“The democrats want to control my medical care. They want to control how and for what I spend my money. They want to deny me the right to effective self defense. They want to restrict my religious practices. They want to control who I associate with, in particular with whom I can do business.”

I will try to take this one at at time but you have to realize you put up a lot of “black and white” areas and no grey. Our medical system SHOULD exist on a single payer system. Right now we are 33rd in healthcare. Not number 1. Our medical system is god awful where it punishes people for even HAVING insurance. The ACA should have never existed, I agree, but I do not think for a moment our healthcare system is even remotely decent.

How are they controlling how you spend your money? I would like to see some examples of this.

Your right to defend yourself? Sure, I don’t want to live next to someone who has fifteen assault rifles in their basement. Or a bazooka. I love guns as much as the next person but if you think the average human being is any monster the MHI faces clearly you should not own weapons.

As far as religious practices go it does irritate me how much we seem to push “tolerate other religions but Christianity/Catholicism” because to me it’s all mumbo jumbo. Absolutely NO religion should have anything to do with politics. I say this mainly due to the fact Republican politicians are about as far from Christian as you can get. I mean cut money for feeding the poor, but pour billions into our already inflated military while simultaneously cutting Veteran aid? Come on now you know that’s silly.

The Patriot Act has damaged our rights more than anything Democrats have come up with. Do not get me wrong, the fact Obama has continued on with it is absolutely terrible but that act should have been abolished before it even hit the table.

As far as limiting rights go what about all the filibustering republicans have done to stop aid to Veterans? There have been dozens of bills denied to help veterans of wars Republicans start. Tell me where the sense in that is.

Do not get me wrong: I realize the dangers posed by democrats getting into office again in 2016 but the fact of the matter is both sides are so comedically villain in what they are trying to push it won’t MATTER who gets in.

If Republicans win we can expect a large majority of the working force in America to be treated like Chinese workers. Mitt “Corporations are people too” Romney almost ensured that. If Democrats get in we will see more and more “your rights end where my feelings begin” people in this country.

I’m sitting here telling you to your face that the prospects are scary no matter what and a BIGGER change than “republicans vs democrats” needs to happen.

Also to be fair Boehner, Graham, and McCain are not democrat lite. They are just batshit insane. They criticize Obama for not invading Russia and then when the idea of invading Russia comes up they criticize how irresponsible Obama is for thinking about taking on Putin. I’m pretty sure that’s insanity.

1 year 4 months ago

Did you seriously just defend single payer? Here?

Next question. Do you also enjoying slathering yourself in chum and then swimming with the sharks?

1 year 4 months ago

To be honest what scares me the most is people who want our police, military, and firefighting force to all be privatized. That terrifies me to no end.

Which right now our healthcare is privatized. If I ever break a bone in my life I’m going to be spending over ten years to pay back the medical costs. If there is an accident, or I need to call the cops I really don’t want the idea of having to pay thousands for a house call to come back on me. That is what scares me.

ThomasW
1 year 4 months ago

Mr. Hutton: You say “right now our healthcare is privatized.”

Our healthcare is in no way “privatized”. Our healthcare system is so highly regulated and controlled, with so many perverse incentives, that it is in no way an example of a private system.

This is not to say that a truly private health care system is the ideal, but don’t claim today’s system is in any way a failure of private markets.

1 year 4 months ago

First, no one asked you about privatizing military, police, or firefighters. I sure as hell didn’t, so you’d best not even try that shit. I’m really not in the damn mood.

Second. our healthcare system is, at best, barely privatized. However, as for you complaint about how long it would take you to pay off a broken bone? Cry me a fucking river.

Based on what you said your take home pay is, you make about 50% more than I do right now. You can purchase insurance, but have opted not to because of the cost. Then you come on here saying we need a single payers system?

So, because your ass has decided not to purchase health insurance provided by you employer (and they typically pay a good bit of the cost), you want the rest of us to take care of you?

You know what? Kiss my ass. Seriously. I stand to benefit as much or more from something like that, and I’m not about to support shit like it. Have you ever, in your entire life, really talked to the people who live under single payer? I have. Almost every one of them talks about the long waits, in some cases the substandard care, and their sky high taxes.

The truth is, there is no “single payer” system. In the US, “single payer” is actually 138 million payers…the money just gets funneled through Uncle Sam. You know, the guys who paid $200 for a fucking hammer?

1 year 4 months ago

Oh, but insurance companies will take 100% of our paychecks or something.

1 year 4 months ago

Angry much? Tell me what the difference is between your anecdotal evidence and my anecdotal evidence. Your “I know a few people that says it sucks” is automatically validated over the MILLIONS of Americans who can’t afford it? Clearly they should all just get better jobs right?

Do you think I cry and complain if anyone has to call the cops, or the fire department, when they are needed? I pay taxes in every year just like everyone else does. The difference between you and me, it seems, is that when it comes to health care those who can’t afford it should just die in a ditch. That’s fine, that’s your right to think it.

If you stand to benefit from a healthcare system that works like our police, road construction, and other government run jobs then why are you so angry?

We all know the government is incompetent but do not think for a second our current healthcare is anything but abysmal. There needs to be a change so how about you put an idea forward. Should we give 100% of our checks to the insurance companies?

Looks like it’s time for the Internet Arguing Checklist:

1 year 4 months ago

You’re right. I’m fucking angry. Any time an ignorant fuck comes to me and compares health care, that has always been private (relatively) in this country with police which has never been private, I get pissed.

Of course, I love it when some asshole who wants single payer argues that because I oppose it, I’m somehow in favor of people just dying in a ditch. Nice straw man argument there. Never heard that before. [/eye roll]

As for why I’m angry, it’s because anytime a cheap bastard who simply refuses to pay for health insurance thinks other people are responsible for his healthcare. Man the hell up, fork out the cash, and quit your bitching. Either that, or keep playing Russian roulette with your health care.

And seriously Cody, can you do anything but pull the straw man bullshit? 100% of our paychecks? Really?

Insurance companies will never go that way, because they know people will not work simply for insurance. They have other expenses and they would lose a shitload of customers. You see, this is called “the market”. There are factors that keep businesses (like insurance companies) from doing some of this shit because they want to stay in business. Oh, they want to get as much money as possible, but all businesses do that. Hell, most people want that. Few people work for less they can command, though most of those that do will do it for some outside reasons like better work environment, location, etc.

Your worry about insurance companies taking all of your pay, but you clearly know absolutely nothing about the real world and how businesses think. I was angry. Now I have sympathy for you. I’m actually amazed you’re capable of using the English language now.

1 year 4 months ago

Based on what he’s saying here, I’m forced to agree with you.

1 year 4 months ago

“If you are bringing home $1,500 a month like you claim, then no, you aren’t paying taxes like everybody else. You will be part of the half of America that pays no federal taxes.”

Please sir, do tell me that if I’m half of America that pays no federal taxes whose fault is that? Believe me when I say that if over half of the people in this country not paying taxes right now had enough money to do so they would jump at the opportunity.

Do you really think that is what healthcare would be if it was single payer? That is not how it works. That isn’t even how the fire departments, road construction or the police force work. When was the last time you needed the help of any of those services and you were told that a specific officer or firefighter had to help you?

You’re calling me ignorant but I’ve got the distinct feeling as soon as you heard the phrase “Obamacare” you were one of those who jumped right on the “death panel” bandwagon.

1 year 4 months ago

Yours. Your vote has been bought with tax breaks, “earned income credit” and other things that make your “fair share” zero while having other people pay more just to carry you.

In 2012 Romney said in a meeting that they didn’t need to worry about the votes of 47 percent of the population because no matter what he did those people would vote the party of bread and circuses (Democrats). He was right. You were one of the ones he was talking about.

Representative forms of government can survive until the electorate learns they can vote themselves goodies that other people pay for. From that point on, they vote for whoever offers them the most goodies leading to more and more goodies being provided to more and more people paid for by fewer and fewer. The result is inevitable collapse. That collapse can be stalled if some of the costs can be shifted elsewhere–small countries relying on a more or less friendly (or at least gullible) superpower to bear the cost of their defense, other countries being willing to front very large loans on the promise of future payment because, well, because the promises have always been good before. Stalled, not stopped.

I’d like to think that the US might become the first nation in history to turn back from that precipice but, frankly, folk like you give me little hope of that happening.

Still, little is not none and even if it were, well, I am Asatru. I fight.

1 year 4 months ago

The quote from which I created my own variation (“goodies that other people pay for” is a bit more general than “largess from the public treasury”) did not actually come from de Toqueville. It was in an article where someone quoted de Toqueville but that bit was the latter author’s own words. It just got conflated.

Doesn’t matter though who said it. It remains truth.

1 year 4 months ago

It’s a by product of the idea that healthcare, as we have it, is a decent system. Do not even think for a moment it is. Explain to me how waiting hours on end right now, as it is, along with paying an endless amount of cash every month to a company that, chances are, won’t cover you because you had chicken pox as a child, is a good system.

I have to admit I have been blessed to actually own a home on making only around 4k a month, if that. If I were to actually invest in insurance I would have to say that I would not be able to make other payments. Sure, I have sacrificed as much as anyone else and I don’t plan on stopping. I’m not pigheaded enough to think that just because I go into a hospital with the sniffles that I should be pushed to the front of the line because I wave a couple dozen 100’s over some other guy who can’t afford it.

And is it such a farfetched idea? http://www.wpsdlocal6.com/news/local/Firefighters-watch-as-home-burns-to-the-ground-104052668.html

When cities start running services like a business more and more of these stories will come to light. If you want to call me paranoid that is fine, but it’s just as paranoid as any politician wanting to disarm the entire country.

1 year 4 months ago

So, you think our current system isn’t decent, so therefore it’s so?

Others have shared links illustrating that our system is pretty damn good. So, we have to wait a couple of hours at hospitals? Do you understand how that works?

You see, hospitals use something called “triage”. What that means is that the people who are at the most risk get seen first. When we were dating, my wife came down with bacterial meningitis. Guess how long she waited to be seen at the ER? About three minutes.

When people wait for hours, it’s because they’re not really emergencies. Oh, the people who are waiting feel like they’re emergencies, but that’s why trained professionals make that determination.

Of course, you also argue that insurance companies turn people down for having chicken pox as a kid. Really? Please cite where that’s happened. I’ll wait.

We’re trying to have a grown up debate, so quit with your straw men. That. Shit. Hasn’t. Happened. Now, unless you can show me otherwise, you need to quit with that crap. Seriously, you’re not doing yourself any favors.

Now, as for insurance and preexisting conditions, that is a bit troublesome. Of course, we live in a place where someone with a hell of an idea can still get ahead. Why hasn’t someone specialized in insuring these people? Could it be because these people are simply at a much higher risk? Why, yes it is.

Of course, that’s where charity hospitals come in. Yes, they exist. My hometown hospital is one. No one gets turned away. If you can’t afford to pay, they eat the cost. No one has been dying in the ditch (to use your earlier straw man).

These hospitals also take paying customers and accept insurance, so it’s not all on the charities. Oh, and these hospitals can actually operate in the black. My hometown hospital does it regularly. They serve as a model for other hospitals in this regard. They’re also award winning for patient care and efficiency.

Of course, private charity must be bad because Uncle Sam isn’t taking people’s money to pay for it.

1 year 4 months ago

I took my wife to the hospital with chest pains (I could get her there faster than an ambulance could get to me, so driving her was a no-brainer). Pulled up at the ER door. Started assisting her into the waiting room. Cop on duty came over, and took over assistance, including getting a wheel chair for her. He told me to go park the car.

Plenty of room in the lot, no more than two or three minutes later I walked into the ER. My wife was already back in a treatment room, hooked up to a monitor, blood drawn to check for signs of a heart attack. (In the end, it turned out to be an anxiety attack but before running the tests they didn’t know that.)

This was before anybody even asked us about insurance.

Another time, I took my daughter when she was complaining of choking. This time I went straight to the parking lot, parked, and carried her into the ER.

Same deal. We were almost immediately taken to a treatment room and she was hooked up to oxygen and monitors to make sure she was okay until a doctor could see her. (Real choking issue, but turned out not to be life threatening–upper respiratory thing irritating the throat and causing mild swelling. But before checking they didn’t know that.)

Yet another time I drove myself to the ER with severe pain in the upper right quadrant of my abdomen.

Same deal. (Turned out to be an inflamed gall bladder that had completely stopped functioning requiring its eventual removal.)

Of course, I don’t go to the ER just for a hangnail or a sniffle. If I did, I’d expect to wait while they tended to people with potential heart attacks, choking issues, and possible acute food poisoning.

And you do know that places like Walgreens have walk-in clinics with reasonable prices (visit cheaper than my cell phone bill and I have a pretty basic plan–not even a smartphone) without insurance.

I’m sure the “horror stories” happen. But they _also_ happen under “single payer” as for statistical “comparisons”, well, Larry’s far better able to dissect those than am I, but the upshot is that they are generally apples and oranges. (Case in point, a lot of deliveries that we count as “live birth” which then soon die are listed as “stillborn” in, for example, Europe which drives both their “infant mortality” rates down in comparison to ours and their life expectancy up–it only takes a few “0’s” to bring down an average.)

So I dispute the idea that these other places have it better. Simply declaring it so doesn’t make it true and the facts don’t support that claim, not when looked at closely.

1 year 4 months ago

Well, there tends to be a wait at my local hospital, but I live in a poor community. People use the ER as their family doctor. That’s on them though.

1 year 4 months ago

I’m not sure Cody’s ever met a straw man argument he didn’t like.

1 year 4 months ago

I meant to say 2k but that was just bad proofreading.

As for my example that came from Tennessee, a republican run state if I remember correctly so it was the city who decided to put that service fee in.

So it’s absurd to think that the government isn’t trying to disarm the entire country of America, but I am batshit loony toons when I say both Dems and Republicans are trying to turn this country into an oligarchy.

Pot, meet Kettle.

1 year 4 months ago

Thank you for proving my point. You made my case for me far better than I could. The greatest irony is that you probably don’t even realize it.

1 year 4 months ago

Oh by all means go ahead and point out every single way I proved your point. Everyone I meet who uses the “hah you’re so stupid I’m not even going to show you how!” are usually the ones that have no argument left to stand on.

What I find disturbing is the fact a lot of people cannot seem to admit that their party “affiliation” is absolutely worthless here. I’ve known Mr. Correia to be a Republican from reading the very first MHI but I had absolutely no idea that even offering the idea that Republicans have faults while simultaneously saying democrats have just as many faults would get such a caveman like response from most.

Can you be brave? Can you admit that your party affiliation needs a ton of work just as much as the other team? I used to be a mindless drone as well, but then I finally admitted to myself that my party is worthless and needs a ton of work. I feel much better for it, but if you think I’m going to raise my sign and say “corporations are people too!” and curbstomp someone who only makes $8.75 an hour I am just not that kind of person.

1 year 4 months ago

I think there was a disconnection in what was said. Republicans, last time I checked, believed that a corporation should be counted as a vote. Be counted as a tax deduction. Be counted as a LIVING ENTITY ALL ON ITS OWN. Tell me how that makes any sense at all. By that logic I would say my house should be allowed a vote because why not? If the local Wal-mart building is seen as a living person why not?

That is why that comment is ridiculed and people find it to be ridiculous. Many people may run a corporation but “IBM” is not a person. It cannot be that hard to understand.

Cite?

1 year 4 months ago

Don’t be a idiot. Corporations are people. Only a fool would say so. However, corporations are comprised of people. Those people don’t forfeit their basic rights simply due to the structure of their relationship.

Citizens United was a group of people that wanted to pool their resources to express their right to free speech.

Corporations are a democratizing force. No more is the power to create a movie, build a monument, etc limited to the wealthy. The ability to fuel the engines of production, commerce, and so on is not limited to the Barons anymore. Common people can pool their resources and compete as well.

1 year 4 months ago

Regarding corporations and speech, as it happens I’ve written a blog about that very thing:

consider:

I decide to speak in favor of a politician or cause in which I believe.

I decide to buy ad space/time on TV, Radio, or Print media to favor a cause I believe.

I, and some friends who agree with me, decide to pool our resources to buy more time/space, or time/space in larger (or more) markets than we could do individually.

I, and some friends, decide to donate our pooled resources to someone else to do the kind of political activity I describe above on our behalf.

I, and some friends, decide to solicit money from others to do the same stuff I’ve just described.

I, and some friends, decide to organize into an association to do a variety of things, part of which is to make the kinds of political speech I just described.

I, and some friends decide to “sell” part “ownership” of the association which does a variety of things, including the political activity associated above and give them a vote, weighted on the amount they’ve put into the “pool” for the association, for folk to manage how those pooled resources are used.

At what point does the First Amendment stop applying and why? Why at all, and why that point?

People engage in speech, not organizations. When you ban an organization from engaging in political speech, including the speech of buying ad space and the like, you aren’t stopping some faceless entity, but the people of that organization.

I would say the same thing (and do, in fact) if instead of “corporations” the argument was about unions.

1 year 4 months ago

You mean to say corporation can’t write off its daughter corporations as dependents? Why do I even bother voting Republican then?

(Poe’s Law says I need this: ;-) )

1 year 4 months ago

2. The democrats bungled the shit out of the ACA, yet you think they are going to do something more complicated, and this time it will work out better?

I have to question this one. What makes you think it isn’t doing exactly what it was designed to do, that is, break the “system” so thoroughly that a great hue and cry will be raised to “so something” leading them to bring forth single payer as that “something.”

1 year 4 months ago

Trust me Mr. Correia I am a huge fan but the fact of the matter is as a country we care more about the 2nd amendment than we do about any other amendment at all. I hate the phrase “gun culture” just as much as anyone else, same with all the various “cultures” we have come up with in this nation.

I am against the idea that anyone shouldn’t be able to protect themselves, do not get me wrong on that, but the line HAS to be drawn somewhere. What I don’t quite understand is why everyone suddenly believes “limited magazine size” is equal to “the government is taking away all our weapons!” It’s that kind of ideology that doesn’t help and it doesn’t get anything done.

What I still do not understand is why we get up in arms about the 2nd amendment, but to this DAY our fourth amendment keeps getting bent over again and again. This is the fault of both sides and the issue here is I can actually admit when the democrats are wrong, but I have yet to meet one republican that says their party is wrong as well without the “No true scotsman” fallacy being enacted.

As far as healthcare goes would you like to point me in a direction that says America is great? Every single source I try to find, I feel, will be barked down because of “agendas”. If you can find me an unbiased source then by all means I want to be educated.

I have to admit I am very lucky to not have to fall back on health insurance. I have not been to a doctor’s office for over sixteen years. This is mainly due to the fact that I know if I get insurance the company will gut my check (500 dollars a month out of a 1500 bring home check if I want to even add one person to my plan is a good chunk of change, and that isn’t even the piss poor ACA one either that would probably charge much less). I would argue about the legitimacy of using a single payer, as we do pay cops, firefighters, and other services on a single payer system but we all know the condition of our law enforcement and firefighting sections. I would have to ask what your thoughts would be on a “privatized” police force for every city and how it would work. Same with firefighting. Would I have to pay the firefighters five hundred up front before the put the fire out from my house? Or would they send me a bill for three thousand dollars first to cover water, fire truck, and travel bill?

For the veteran cutting I was referring to how democrats put a bill TOWARDS actually getting more money for the VA to assist veterans and Republicans blocked it.

I agree I do not have a right to your money. I agree absolutely. Though do you not think it is kind of . . . strange that our largest employers in this country are paying workers so very little that they MUST go on welfare in order to make ends meet? I certainly hate the idea of welfare. I do not think any tax payer should foot the bill for people that do not have the greatest jobs in the world yet at the same time do you not think a corporation who employes millions upon millions of people has a responsibility to make sure they keep their workers off of welfare?

I did some digging and apparently Dems started 16 wars while Republicans started 10. The two world wars involved democrats, but do you believe we should not have interfered with either of them? The civil war, which I thought was arguably the largest American casualty war by definition, was started by a Republican. Though you could argue Republicans back then were the democrats of today if you’d like.

That being said do you defend the last few Republican wars that have been started? Keep in mind I was all for going after Bin Laden but I cannot agree with going into Iraq nor staying in this long.

What I do not appreciate is that you’re attacking me like I’m some democrat. I abandoned that party years ago when it was clear that neither they, nor the republicans, had any interest in anything but War and killing the fourth amendment. As I have said 2016 is going to be a very, very scary year.

1 year 4 months ago

Response to the “limited magazine size” (and other BS about so-called “assault weapons)

Response to the implied “Nobody wants to take your guns”:

As you’ve pointed out before, the gun-grabbing freedom deniers (whether forthright or the “concern troll” variety) really have nothing but a limited palette of “arguments”, all long refuted.

1 year 4 months ago

That was quite the read. Though the one thing that I keep seeing in common with yourself, and your other posters, is that it is fine and dandy for one extreme to be used to throw your facts around.
screw everyone else. Right?

I do apologize if my statement about insurance didn’t make sense to you. My company offers health insurance, but to be on that plan I must pay 500 dollars a month. I make 1500 dollars a month. Can you understand why I might not think insurance would be the best idea?

I put my 40 hours in a week and get overtime every now and then. It would be great to get to the doctor for a check-up but the last time I did that they wanted 200 dollars from my pocket to cover a “no insurance fee” so I just left.

I suppose saying “privatized” was the wrong word. Apologies for that. Though the same idea of healthcare can be applied to those areas as well. If you don’t pay for police insurance then will you be SOL? Trust me I’ve pissed away about 20 grand in car insurance over the last 12 years and I’m sure you’ve pissed away even more but it still will be a service we have to pay right? So why not get our police and firefighters in on that kind of service? I’m sure the premium won’t be THAT bad.

“Nobody is forcing them to work at low paying jobs forever, Cody. Unlike democrats, we don’t believe in slavery or a caste system.”

Though you have to admit an Oligarchy would be awesome, right? I mean no one will be FORCING those people to pick the cotton as you like to say but even if they showed the skills to move up in the world you can only have so many lords and ladies controlling the populace.

#1,
#2
#3
#4
#5
#6
#7

I guess we’re just waiting for #8

Come on Cody, you can do it. Make it a perfect score.

B
1 year 4 months ago

Larry, please make “Justify the Moon Ferrets” be David Pitt’s new band in a future MHI novel :-) :-)

jabrwok
1 year 4 months ago

Nonono! Mosh’s new band will be Unearthly Forces, with Ed on drums (you *know* he can handle sticks!) and Tanya on vocals. They’d be bigger than the Beatles!:-D

1 year 4 months ago

As for “single payer”/socialized medicine (excuse the language, Larry): No. Fucking. Way.

I’ve had too much experience with it.

1 year 4 months ago

Okay let’s go with your theory that everyone needs to “pick themselves up by the bootstraps” and get jobs that pay a comfortable eighteen dollars an hour. Everyone in America suddenly does not need welfare or financial aid for any reason. What happens to all those jobs you depend on? What happens to the lower end of the totem pole? I’m willing to bet this country’s foundation runs on the very same people you would like to just grind your boot in and say they are worthless. This is why I’m not a Republican.

So now we are all in agreement that if Republicans run the show the country will be better off right? Well let’s take a look at yearly income averages. You can help me out with this because you’re much better with money than I am: https://www.census.gov/prod/2013pubs/acsbr12-02.pdf

Now I know it’s a government website and it can’t be trusted but bear with me. Look at those states that have a yearly income of 45k or less. Those, I would have to argue, are relatively poor states. Are those run by republicans or democrats?

So you are in a disagreement that this country is not run by a few wealthy individuals and that the majority of people in this country aren’t working just to barely get by? Republicans say they want a small government, which is fine, but an oligarchy fits right into that definition where only a few very powerful people control everything. I would say you’re getting what you wish, right?

I would register to be a Republican right now if it didn’t seem like the whole mentality behind the party wasn’t “I’ve got mine now let me see what I can go ahead and do to make sure no one has a similar life”.

A lot of people define a successful business, for example, as one that brings in a profit. Though wouldn’t a successful business bring in a profit but also ensure that their employees are not draining tax payer money via welfare? We can argue that the single payer healthcare is welfare, but then by that definition as I’ve mentioned the police force and other government jobs are welfare too if someone needs it, but wouldn’t you be happier as an American if less people were on welfare? That would be less money out of your pocket, right? Why is that a bad thing and furthermore why are you advocating that just because someone does work flipping burgers, or stocking shelves, they are worthless and should die in a gutter poor and broke?

1 year 4 months ago

First, those jobs would be done by people just entering the workforce…AS THEY WERE INTENDED. Not people in their 30’s with families. It’s not an employers responsibility to make people do better with their lives, yet a great many offer tuition assistance to help employees better themselves.

However, a burger flipper will never be worth $15 per hour, despite what some people are demanding.

Second, no one is saying someone who works for a low wage is worthless. They’re working, and that’s awesome. Where they become a problem is when they do nothing at all about bettering themselves, and then expect the rest of society to foot the bill because they’re too lazy to get off their ass and better themselves.

I work for a pretty low wage. That’s because I bought a business and got slammed by the economy. It happens. As it happens, my previous line of work was essentially closed off to me, so I’m starting over.

The thing is, I will not stay there. If I don’t make it up the ladder with the company I’m with now, then I’ll find something else. That’s kind of how it’s supposed to work.

Of course, you seem to be more comfortable with the idea that not wanting to fork over other people’s money to these people is the same thing as “grinding you boot in”.

Draven
1 year 4 months ago

From all reports, if they keep pushing for $15 an hour then most of the major chains will go to burger-flipping machines. McD’ s out here already has drink-filling machines.

1 year 4 months ago

Lordy, that was a dumb post.

Look the claim that everyone would make… yadayadayada was pure straw man.

Yes, there are low paying jobs out there. The term used to be “Entry level.” Because people would get those jobs when they were just starting out. They then use those jobs to learn skills, develop good work habits, and act as springboards to better arrangements.

Look, I’ve worked minimum wage jobs. I’ve worked part time minimum wage jobs. I’ve lived in a rented room in an apartment shared with five other guys. I’ve lived on corn meal and beans. I’ve lived in the back of a car, or crashing on a friend’s couch because I didn’t have a place of my own. I’ve done all this stuff that causes so much hand wringing.

What I did, was use the opportunities I had to better my situation. I acquired skills beyond those of a dishwasher, skills that gave me some value to potential employers. I got a job, one that, at first anyway, payed less than the $4000 you claimed elsewhere (although more than the $1500 you claimed yet somewhere else. Please make up your mind. Or maybe try telling the truth, it’s easier to remember.) I bought a house on that. I had not one but _two_ cars, both paid for (beaters, but they got me to and from work while allowing my wife–did I mention I also supported a wife–get to school). Oh, and I also bought health insurance, “catastrophic coverage”, so stipulated, but that covered if anything major happened. (And, yes, I had chickenpox when I was a child, also measles, mumps, and various other what used to be called childhood illnesses; yet somehow I was able to get insurance.) Oh, and I bought that insurance with _no_ employer contribution. (Very small company with zero “benefits”. If I wanted it, I had to buy it myself.)

The people earning minimum wage are, or should be, the people just starting out. Anyone trying to make a career out of a minimum wage are, well, to paraphrase Caesar, “The fault, dear Cody, lies not in the stars but in yourself.”

For those people I would also apply the words of Lazarus Long (used in a different context, but applies here as well: “Gave you lots of chances. You never took any of them.”

1 year 4 months ago

I am all for getting traffic to your blog, Mr. Correia, but I have actually found out that I am getting some pretty good traffic to my own blog because of this. Now I’m no where near the thousands you bring everyday, which I mean that with no sarcasm, but this little discussion/fight/tift is actually a win win for the both of us. Since I will be self-publishing my very first novel here soon I think you can appreciate why I continue to interact with you.

When were you when you first started your novel? 28? I mean sure you were an accountant then and probably graduated from college before a certain Republican got into office. By all means I wish I would have been born in 1980. I really do. From what I’m to understand there was a huge divide when the year 2000 hit and I’m not talking about Y2K. For those already in adulthood things were great. For the majority of us still in high school or middle school? Well shit got a lot tougher when we hit that magical age of adulthood.

Again the last 14 years have been a shitstorm both parties should be held accountable. The truth of the matter is our company stopped being a free market when it was taken over by “trickle down economics”. Sure, a great idea at the time and it could have worked. In fact during that time it was a GREAT marketing ploy: It’s the complete opposite of socialism! We give all the money to the rich and they will surely spread it amongst you all!

I mean that is how trickle down was suppose to work right? I’ve been brainwashed by democrats too much. I’ve slowly been trying to crawl my way out, especially when it comes to the amount of white hate we see in this country (and really when it gets down to it the only thing I’m liberal about is this shit poor economy).

I honestly can understand where you are coming from. I’ve read your books and I am thoroughly entertained by your blog as well (even when I douse myself in chum to go swimming with the sharks), but the point I’m trying to make is that no republican and no democrat is going to fix this country.

This is especially true if one side only sees the poor as constant victims (democrats) and the other side sees them as nothing but lazy excuses for human beings even though you just said yourself we all have been down on our luck and some of us, despite working, just can’t claw their way out.

Hell I’m actually very interested in the charities you have supported because god damn me I respect you a lot. If you feel like I’ve disrespected you I’ll apologize for that but I fully agree the ACA was shit to begin with, but the system we had was shit too.

As sad as you think this might be I work security for a university. Not the greatest job in the world but 10 dollars an hour in my town is actually about the most you can make. I also could not afford to get into any computer engineering degrees so I settled with criminal justice and psychology. It’s been a long four years doing full time work and full time school but hey, it was still work.

But I want to make this work. When the 2016 elections come around who do you actually think will set this country straight? I sure as hell don’t want it to be Hilary Clinton. I’m sure we both can agree on that so point me towards someone that I can get behind because I just cannot find one.

1 year 4 months ago

Writing has been hard work. It’s also been one of the most profound learning experiences I have had in my life. You have self-published before so you know the ins and outs of how difficult it is and I am more than prepared to put in the work to get my stuff out there.

I really do apologize for the inane amount of idiocy that I have brought to the table but I have a feeling that if I would have jumped on the bandwagon and been like most who would just simply agree with every point made I wouldn’t stand out. I would just be another person who was a smiling face and nodding back and forth.

What started as an argument that both sides are equally to blame for the state this country is in (instead of just going right to what everyone here wants to hear and blasting one side) I was met with firm opposition that if I am not with you guys I am against you. Which is fine.

It’s still getting me traffic. It might be bad publicity but it is still publicity. I am willing to bet your average reader cares more about your stories than your political affiliation. Hell that’s what I care about.

I sincerely do care about the charities you’ve donated to and I also am at odds about 2016.

Despite all of this I am going to be working my ass off. I’m going to do more than my best to actually create work that people enjoy. As much as this may pain you to hear you’re a pretty big inspiration to myself. If I made an enemy out of you that would be a shame but maybe someday, years from now, you come across my own book and figure “what the hell”.

Because despite whatever my political beliefs are I will work my ass off to become a name in this industry. I promise you that.

1 year 4 months ago

Okay I have stated several times that in my opinion the fourth amendment is one of the most important amendments and it keeps getting chipped away far more than the second amendment. I do not feel that the second amendment is under that much attack. The fourth amendment is. Because I feel one of our rights are under worse treatment than the other does not mean I’m against you.

In fact I would say if the fourth amendment gets destroyed THEN I would fear for the second amendment.

The people should own the government. I agree with you there. No arguments. The government SHOULD fear its people. I also believe that business owners should fear their employees. Without them then they don’t have a business. Right?

1 year 4 months ago

I do not feel that the second amendment is under that much attack.

Not helping yourself with the image of someone who lives in fantasy land. Of course it’s under attack. Just look at the subject of this thread for a simple example. The attacks have lessened, but that doesn’t mean they don’t exist.

1 year 4 months ago

No, you were met with firm opposition because your arguments were shit and you were supporting positions we, almost universally despise.

However, there are plenty of us here to take issue with Republicans as well. I’m one of them, although there are a couple of Republicans I like. They are, unfortunately, the exception.

It’s not a “you’re either with us or against us” kind of thing. It’s a “you’re talking stupid” kind of thing.

jabrwok
1 year 4 months ago

“Trickle down”? Wow, someone hasn’t done his research: http://www.tsowell.com/images/Hoover%20Proof.pdf

1 year 4 months ago

I’m even getting hits from Korea. I have to admit this has been actually more than productive for me. Thank you for allowing me to play the bad guy in this. If you want to actually use me in one of your blog posts just make sure to indicate where people can go if you could. If not it isn’t a big deal.

1 year 4 months ago

Actually if you go to my blog I don’t think I have one political post there.