Cover art for Monster Hunter Alpha

Bravo, Alan Pollack. Awesome. Simply awesome.

And the creatues? Nailed them. Absolutely nailed the monsters. Imagine that thing, bobbbing along like a giant pelican. And all that white stuff is dangling and swaying like loose floppy skin, like a fat man that had lost too much weight too quickly. The garden trowel hands are for digging… Deep in the earth, where man shouldn’t go. And they eat you. Whole.

The background is Michigan. This looks like a Christmas story, what with all the snow. :)

And spoiler alert, you guys that have read the first books. Ya’ll know who the werewolf is. The red head? You’ll like her.

80 Comments on "Cover art for Monster Hunter Alpha"

Nick Sharps

Oh man..best cover art yet..I am blown away

Matt

i dont know what the hell that is, but it’s fucking awesome… … …

DUUUUUUUUUUUDE!

And the best part: that little badge on top of that whatever-the-heck-that-is’s arm.

Tim K.

I like redheads.

Matt

the white moster i mean, i don’t know what the white monster thing is, but the cover is fucking awesome… … … damn you larry, had to make the red head a vampire… … …

Wai

Reserve a copy for me, Larry!!

Skip

So when does the e-ARC become available?

harm

sweet. seriously jonesing for thisa!

Mossyrock

Looks like our man Earl needs a shave…..

AvA

Here you go Larry, I put the finishing touches on the cover

MichaelD

I like it! I agree with Nick Sharps… best cover yet!

PhillipC

Have they approached you about graphic novels yet?

David

best cover yet. no contest.

of course the little “new york times best selling author” bit looks pretty good too don’t it?

perlhaqr

Man, I hadn’t imagined the diggers anything like that, but it works.

2gunjason

Earl and Susan on the cover? Sweet……

pittofdoom

Susan’s a brunette. And Alpha is a prequel, so Susan isn’t a vampire when it takes place, if I’m not mistaken.

Of course, I didn’t write the book, but…

2gunjason

I did not realize that Alpha was a prequel. Interesting…..

Nightcrawler

I’ve read Alpha. It’s not a prequel.

Cody

Alpha’s out?! I’m so confused!!!

Lepuskhan

Cody, no Monster Hunter Alpha has not yet been released. It has, however, gone out to Reader Force Alpha (Larry’s top secret cadre of elite readers.) Nightcrawler is among those. (Before you ask, no I don’t think Larry is taking on any new members either). Like Larry said somewhere, it’s not a prequel but there are several flashback scenes that fill in a little more of Earl’s back story. Reader Force Alpha is of course sworn to secrecy on saying anything even remotely spoiler-ish, but I think I can safely say that those who paid to get red shirted in MHA DEFINITELY got their money’s worth (and then some) Hope that helps clear it up! :D

Nice! And it doesn’t have any funky-looking guns to contradict the “most knowledgeable gun descriptions of all time” testimonials!

Brian

So is the elf a vampire or do the MHI elves have sharp pointy teeth?

Ralph

She’s a red head – how can we not?

Wow, check this one out. I don’t know, this one’s giving Vendetta’s cover a run for the money. This is great.

Don Gwinn

Can’t be Susan, Susan looks like Julie . . . and Larry just implied that we haven’t met her yet. She looks like some kind of vampire/elf.

EJPedde

Ooh, I’m so looking forward to dying!

THAT is an epic… cover… WIN!

nuranar

Definitely the most dramatic cover ever! She looks to me like a were-something in the process of transforming.

Awesome!

That cover would lure me into picking up the book off the shelf just to figure out what the monsters were – and then into opening it when I didn’t recognize ‘em. Your writing would do the rest – heck, it already has!

Looks great Larry, Mr. Pollack did a fantastic job. Although he did have a lot of help. Your discriptions of the various characters are some of the best I’ve ever seen. I can’t wait to read it.

Great, now I am going to be going crazy for the next year waiting to find out who the redhead is.
AAAAARRRRRGGGHHHHH!!!!!!!

Joe

Awesome cover! Any idea when we’ll get the eARC? I can’t wait to read it.

Joe in PNG

Michigan? Did they get lost on their way to Japan or something? Great scott, those things should be trampling Tokyo or fighting Godzilla- and Earl is up against them!
Now that is just plain Awesome!

Ted N(not the Nuge)

Awesome, can’t wait!

Dillis

Incredible as always, Larry.

Dylan

Whoa. This is an incredibly bad-ass cover. Props to Alan Pollack. His covers are just getting more and more awesome. Can’t wait for the book!

Bubba Man

Whoo Hoo!

warpcordova

Yeah that is one nice looking cover. Kudos to the artist once more.

Nick Sharps

Is this one going to be holographic too? Because that would be wicked sweet..

Pirate Bob

Fantastic artwork! The Diggers are perfectly represented, as are Earl & *******. BTW ******* is NOT a vampire, but a budding werewolf (Look at her ear and compare to Earl’s). Also, MHAlpha takes place POST MHVendetta.

EDITED: because of SPOILER ALERT! :)

Wait, MHA is POST MHV? I thought it was supposed to be Pre MHI? (not that I’m not salivating over wanting to read the book)

Both.

And the redhead is indeed awesome.

Bayside EMT

Great looking cover art!!!!!!!!!!! Can’t wait for this book! Each book is better than the last

Keep up the outstanding work, Mr Correia.

Wai

From the name of the book, “Monster Hunters Alpha,” I would assume it’s where the Monster Hunters begin with Earl taking over. This would be pre-Julie and pre-Susan. That’s what I’m guessing…

Any chance this will be available as a poster? Because I’d love to have one for my office.

Stretch

Hum? I think I dated that redhead.
Is it too soon to pre-order on Amazon?

Robert

Nice. Gotta say, I wasn’t a fan of the first two Baen covers (the first one was ok, the second one was kind of blah). This one is pretty good, though.

Snow in Upper Michigan? That would be a Labor Day story…

DanH

Damnit Larry you’ve really got to start being more careful!
If you keep stacking up so much awesomeness the sheer mass will cause the earth to collapse into a black hole!

For the children’s sake Larry, please!!

Knighthawk (drbindy)

such a tease! Looking great, no doubt about it. And it’s exciting to hear you think this art matches up well with your vision in the book.

ooohhh…can I please be killed by the redhead? I love redheads!

wolfwalker

well, maybe I just have that kind of mind …

… but when I looked at that cover, I wondered “what was the artist thinking, crossing Jack Skellington with Freddy Krueger?”

John Rolf

Brutal! Cant wait for it to come out.

rudy meyer

but isn’t alpha suppose to be an earl story when he was younger? so not really a prequel as i understand them.
but before Owen and his god killing fun.

but what i want to know is, is the red head a vampire, an elf or elf vampire, or another wolf.

it’s the pointy ears for me.

Panticles

Bad ass cover but I’m getting the heebie jeebies about all this prequel noise I’m hearing getting spouted in this comments section.

For the life of me I can’t think of one good prequel, and I include movies and video games when I say that.

Oh and I think the redhead is at the start of her transformation and is actually a werewolf.

How big are those damn Digger things? 20 metres tall? I’m figuring you gotta use a lot of bang to take those suckers down. Looking forward to it!

gj

Excellent picture. Just finished (and enjoyed) MH:V.

For whatever reason, the image of MH:A put me in mind of Manly Wade Wellman. Not a bad thing, as it’s led me to re-read a bunch of his “Silver John” stories.

Matt from Texas

Friggin Awesome stuff man!! Diggin it, and can’t wait until Alpha hits the shelves.

Torchwood68

Even though you are a “New York Times Best Selling Author” I wish they wouldn’t mar the awesome cover with it. And yes we really need a poster!

rudy meyer

hey, just a little question. while you sit here and tease us with alpha and hard magic. cause your such an evil man, maybe even an evil genius.

is there any way we can get some tom stranger to lessen the wait?

or make it worst.

Wow, Larry, you keep getting outstanding covers. Love the starburst proclaiming, “NEW YORK TIMES BESTSELLING AUTHOR.”

George Metz

You know, the art is utterly amazing, but there’s one other thing that I was told a long, long time ago, that I’m seeing as true on this cover.

When, as an author, your name is just as tall as the book’s title, you have arrived.

Grats Larry, and seriously can’t wait for this. (Or Hard Magic.. I’ve been DYING to get my hands on that since I finished the teasers.)

hum… my phones shiftkey no work on this form…

anyway, i just stopped in to say its about time there was a redhead in your books.

that is all

dan

Write faster!

WebMonk

I would consider going out to Correia’s house and trying to chain him to his computer and forcing him to write 20 hours a day, but I suspect that I would get perforated a few times before I reached the door.

And unfortunately I’m not a werewolf to be able to soak up that sort of damage.

I guess Correia’s safe from me, but may I at least beg and grovel piteously for him to pretty, pretty please write faster?

Or maybe start putting out a few advance snippets of MHA?

Wild Goose

I may be totally outta the left field here, but I thought the Alpha referred to Earl’s status as the Alpha Male amongst MHI’s badasses, and as the Alpha of Alpha Werewolves.

mike harris

My traveling buddy EJ turned me onto your first two books. Read them back to back nonstop. MHI is like crack and now you add a hot red head to the mix, I’m having withdrawls already. Waiting for the next MHI book is like a fat kid waiting for the cookies to come out of the oven. MHI even inspired me to work on a patch for the Montana Monster Militia. EJ is vetting the design to see if he can carve it onto a holster. We’ll send you a copy if we ever get it done.

We even started joking about holding a Montana Monster Three Gun Shoot.

Tom Clancy just writes books, but you sir have started a movement. Congratulations.

jacoll

Amazon shows a release date of August 2, is that correct?

Looking forward to MHA, Hard Magic, and the rest of your future writing Larry.

Ryan

larry i think that you should contact your states library for the blined and handicapped so that people that ether cant read or have a dificalt time readding can enjoy your stuff. what thay would do is turn it into a audio book and then the state would ditribute your book to to people that are blind or handicaped. i lissen to a lot more books than i read because i have learning disabilitys and my reading comprhention sucks. it is just somthing that you might look into. i loved both MHI and MHV i read the first one like 20 times ive actuly had to tape it back to gether a cople of times. so it would be great if i could get it in auidio format evan if i had to buy it.

Matt from Texas

Just conjecture on my part, but perhaps the “Alpha” in MH:A refers to Alpha male status of a wolf in a wolfpack?

Maybe Earl either brings another wolf(wolves) into the fold….or their is a fight for dominance? Either supernaturally or within the company?

I don’t know, I’m bored at work.

jon nagy
4 years 1 month ago

tv show? eh… movie series? deffinatly… video game? oh yea oh hell yea know we are talking, moster hunter series would probably make on hell of a bad ass video game especially if you stick to the books level of intensity and difficaulty and story bourding lol