A chaplain serving in Earth’s space fleet is trapped behind enemy lines where he struggles for both personal survival and humanity’s future.
The mantis cyborgs: insectlike, cruel, and determined to wipe humanity from the face of the galaxy.
The Fleet is humanity’s last chance: a multi-world, multi-national task force assembled to hold the line against the aliens’ overwhelming technology and firepower. Enter Harrison Barlow, who like so many young men of wars past, simply wants to serve his people and partake of the grand adventure of military life. Only, Harrison is not a hot pilot, nor a crack shot with a rifle. What good is a Chaplain’s Assistant in the interstellar battles which will decide the fate of all?
More than he thinks. Because while the mantis insectoids are determined to eliminate the human threat to mantis supremacy, they remember the errors of their past. Is there the slightest chance that humans might have value? Especially since humans seem to have the one thing the mantes explicitly do not: an innate ability to believe in what cannot be proven nor seen God. Captured and stranded behind enemy lines, Barlow must come to grips with the fact that he is not only bargaining for his own life, but the lives of everyone he knows and loves. And so he embarks upon an improbable gambit, determined to alter the course of the entire war.
- Amazon Best Sellers Rank: #7,386 Paid in Kindle Store (See Top 100 Paid in Kindle Store)
- #78 in Kindle Store > Kindle eBooks > Science Fiction & Fantasy > Science Fiction > Space Opera
- Amazon Best Sellers Rank: #11,768 in Books (See Top 100 in Books)
- #99 in Books > Science Fiction & Fantasy > Science Fiction > Alien Invasion
- Amazon Best Sellers Rank: #4,970 Paid in Kindle Store (See Top 100 Paid in Kindle Store)
- #54 in Kindle Store > Kindle eBooks > Science Fiction & Fantasy > Science Fiction > Space Opera
- #71 in Books > Science Fiction & Fantasy > Science Fiction > Space Opera
- #97 in Kindle Store > Kindle eBooks > Literature & Fiction > Action & Adventure > Science Fiction
Way to go guys, but we’ve still got a way to go before we get Brad onto the 1st page of the bestsellers.
EDIT: Okay, now we’re talking. The paperback is:
- Amazon Best Sellers Rank: #1,942 in Books (See Top 100 in Books)
- #26 in Books > Science Fiction & Fantasy > Science Fiction > Alien Invasion
- #47 in Books > Science Fiction & Fantasy > Science Fiction > Space Opera
And the Kindle:
Amazon Best Sellers Rank: #1,117 Paid in Kindle Store (See Top 100 Paid in Kindle Store)
- #22 in Kindle Store > Kindle eBooks > Science Fiction & Fantasy > Science Fiction > Space Opera
- #25 in Books > Science Fiction & Fantasy > Science Fiction > Space Opera
- #28 in Kindle Store > Kindle eBooks > Literature & Fiction > Action & Adventure > Science Fictio
- Amazon Best Sellers Rank: #1,412 in Books (See Top 100 in Books)
- #20 in Books > Science Fiction & Fantasy > Science Fiction > Alien Invasion
- #39 in Books > Science Fiction & Fantasy > Science Fiction > Space Opera
- #91 in Books > Science Fiction & Fantasy > Science Fiction > Adventure
- Amazon Best Sellers Rank: #972 Paid in Kindle Store (See Top 100 Paid in Kindle Store)
- #18 in Kindle Store > Kindle eBooks > Science Fiction & Fantasy > Science Fiction > Space Opera
- #21 in Books > Science Fiction & Fantasy > Science Fiction > Space Opera
- #26 in Kindle Store > Kindle eBooks > Literature & Fiction > Action & Adventure > Science Fiction
EDIT: Paperback slowed down, Kindle kept going.
- Amazon Best Sellers Rank: #783 Paid in Kindle Store (See Top 100 Paid in Kindle Store)
- #13 in Kindle Store > Kindle eBooks > Science Fiction & Fantasy > Science Fiction > Space Opera
- #16 in Books > Science Fiction & Fantasy > Science Fiction > Space Opera
- #21 in Kindle Store > Kindle eBooks > Literature & Fiction > Action & Adventure > Science Fiction
51 thoughts on “BOOK BOMB! Chaplain's War by Brad Torgersen”
I’ve been waiting for this one. Glad you made it a book bomb.
Reblogged this on Cedar Writes and commented:
I’m waiting for my copy, due in the mail. Looking forward to having it signed! But for my e-readers, it’s available on Amazon now. Go for it!
I pre-ordered months ago. I think this is the best new Baen author to come along since you, and I reblogged. Hopefully we can keep Brad happy and writing for a long time.
Read the first two chapters. Seems very promising. Purchased it on iBooks. It might also get an Audible credit sometime in the near future.
Reblogged this on Writing and other stuff and commented:
Reblogged which goes to twitter and off to Facebook 🙂 I love daisy-chaining stuff.
Done, blogged, Facebooked, and Tweeted. Go, Brad!
Just used my Audible credit on it. I was going to buy MH Nemesis, but I figured I could wait one more month. 🙂
I will leave a review after I listen to it.
Hm… I do have an Audible credit, but I was planning to use it on a different book. But the sample was rather interesting. I will have to think about this. I added it to my wishlist for future purchase, at any rate.
Signal boosted — http://www.scifiwright.com/2014/10/book-bomb-chaplains-war-by-brad-torgersen/
Got the kindle version…but done!
Tough to play timing games if you just hit “Buy Baen Monthly ebook Bundle” as a monthly task.
Is there any difference to the author between buying Baen’s early bundles, buying from Baen regular releases, or buying a Baen ebook off of Amazon?
I can count on a monthly 18 dollar charge to Baen. I started reading the book yesterday.
Both Baen an the Author make more if you buy the reguar release than if you buy the bundle.
Baen makes more if you buy from Baen than if you by from Amazon.
The biggesn profit for both is if you buy the e-ARC
Looks good. Purchased Nook version on B&N.com
Done. Ordered from B&N.com for my Nook.
Just bought it as a gift for my brother…since I’m also a victim of the Baen WebScriptions. 🙂
excellent read. keeps getting better all the way through.
Thank you, everybody, for supporting today’s book bomb! I appreciate it! And I hope my book earns your money!
It did. And it earned you a place on my “Authors to keeps an eye out for” list. So hurry up and write something else! 🙂
Got it and boosting the signal! http://oldnfo.org/2014/10/07/boosting-signal/
I just bought the Audible, which does nothing for lists, alas.
Audible is owned by Amazon, so I wouldn’t be surprised if Audible purchases were somehow included in the Amazon rankings… but I wouldn’t be surprised if they weren’t, either. Do you know for sure?
Baen eBooks Webscriptions (monthly bundles), where I got it, on the other hand…
Audiobooks are a separate product, split out just like the Kindle book or the paperback. I do know they count toward the author’s overall ranking. The time I made #3 overall fantasy author was when I was #1 on Audible.
Well, then I guess audio does affect Amazon’s overall lists.
As I understand it, it doesn’t do anything for outside lists, like the NYT list.
No. Audio doesn’t count toward the NYT list. If it did, I would be golden. 🙂
So I see now that if you go to Amazon’s list page, there is a link for Audible. I don’t remember that being there the last time I visited the page. So you can use this interface to have it show you the top N audio books, but I wasn’t able to find a way to get an Audible list ranking by looking up a particular book on either the Amazon or Audible site.
Also, the Amazon page for the book doesn’t list the Audible version in the Other Formats and Editions. I expect that will be updated before long.
Did my part.
Done. I’ll start on it right after I finish Spellbound (the island fight…wow) and Freehold. I know, I’m a little late for the party there.
Brad was nice enough to do an interview on my blog. I’m glad you did this book bomb for him, Larry. Couldn’t happen to a better guy.
Purchased ebooks ‘Lights in the Deep’ and ‘Chaplain’s War’ this morning at baen.com
Got it, and haven’t put it down since.
Is there any way to figure out how many copies were sold as a result of the Book Bomb?
I can only see the ones that are sold through the Amazon link on my blog. Anything that comes in from other places, no idea.
Congrats to Brad. And a nice poke in the eyes of all the people who’ve worked so tirelessly to attack him the past year. 🙂
Sounds like Brad is one of the good guys, so glad to boost the signal (bought it on Kindle). Got 2 ahead of it in the cue, but I’m taking a trip next week and have got it all set for the plane ride.
Paperback appears to have picked up some steam at 10 PM Mountain! Kindle version holding steady. Larry, it’s been a magnificent day to be a Baen author!
I just got my physical copy today. I previously had purchased an ebook copy as part of one of the monthly bundles from Baen eBooks, and I reviewed it here:
Bought on the strength of your recommendation, not a Christian, not even a theist, but will give it a fair shake.
Looks like I need to earn more money to finance this reading habit.
By the way, Larry, I need to thank you. Over about the last eight months, I’ve read the entire MHI series, but I hadn’t gotten to the Grimnoir series yet.
Well, today I picked up a copy of Hard Magic right before lunch. It was FANTASTIC! I finished it about an hour ago, and got exactly ZERO Spanish homework done today. I had a heck of a time not reading it in class! Looks like the International Lord of Hate is now also the International Lord of Putting Your To-Do List On Hold!
I’m always touched how you go out of your way to promote smaller writers who truly need the exposure for that whole “needing money to eat” thing.
It warms the cockroaches of my heart to see fellow writers getting such well deserved attention! Well, I’m not a fellow writer just yet, but I’m getting there. 🙂
Keep up the good work Larry!
ok just bought
Got my copy (E-book) from the Baen.com site. Does this count at all towards the numbers Larry is tracking?
It does not count toward the Amazon sales rank, but according to Mr. Correia’s post: ‘If you want to order it somewhere else, that’s great too. Even though it doesn’t boost that sales rank number for the day the most important thing is that the author GETS PAID.’
I splurged. So far all of your book bombs have been awesome.
Just finished John D. Brown’s series ‘The Dark God’ and it was awesome.
Never would have found it if not for your recommendation.
Late to the comments, but I did buy this on BB day.
Picked it up in the webscription from Baen. I liked Lights in the Deep and I’m looking forward to reading this too!
Happy Indigenous People Day Larry!
Just finished “The Chaplain’s War” and it’s a great page turner. Stayed up late finishing it. Thanks!
Read it and loved it. Looking for more by this author. Hoping my paddling in the author pool will be as good someday.