Cold Shadows–Spy Thriller RPG–on Kickstarter

I’m plugging this Kickstarter

One of the first RPGs I played as a kid was Top Secret, so I’ve always had a fondness for spy games. Top Secret was really clunky, only we didn’t know any better, and since we were kids we kind of just made up the rules as we went along.

The lead designer of Cold Shadows is a member of Writer Nerd Game Night. Alan been telling me about this idea for a long time. I’m looking forward to it. I recently rewatched every season of Burn Notice in preparation. (well, no, actually, I just really like Burn Notice)

They funded and broke a ton of stretch goals in their first day, so they are off to a great start.

The Monster Hunter Files Anthology
Dragon Award Nominations Are Now Open

13 Comments on "Cold Shadows–Spy Thriller RPG–on Kickstarter"

Carl
Carl
26 days 12 hours ago

Thanks Larry, I’m always looking for fun new games to play with the family. Just made the pledge for the deluxe. I’m such a spy fan this is right up my alley. I’m reading Alliance of Shadows right now and can’t get enough of Lorenzo. Thanks for all the Kickstarters you tell us about.

Keith Glass
Keith Glass
26 days 9 hours ago

Top Secret. SECOND RPG I ever bought. After the “White Box” Dungeons and Dragons set, when they were still 8 1/2 x 5 stapled books. . .

richard mcenroe
richard mcenroe
26 days 9 hours ago

The Dead Dreams of the Cold War Kid, eh?

Brendan
Brendan
25 days 11 hours ago

Hey Larry, question in regards to Burn Notice:
What’s your feelings on the later seasons? Feels like it loses a lot of focus after Season4-5. Thoughts?

Member
24 days 6 hours ago

We need a Burn Notice thread. Till Jesse showed up it was one of the best shows ever. I always thought of Michael as a young Robert McCall from the original Equalizer series.

Member
24 days 6 hours ago

This line from inside the drug dealers club is my favorite TV scene eva! “… if you don’t do what I want, I will rain Hell down upon you until one of us is dead and I’m really, really good at raining down Hell. “

nekuuni
22 days 16 hours ago

Hm….looks nice but spy PnP are not really my thing.. I am not really a fan of the subtle approach. I would be more the kind for an MHI Rulebook.

God…i should not have thought that. Now i really really want one.

Surculus
Surculus
20 days 7 hours ago

Might I point out that “making up the rules as you go along” is entirely in keeping with espionage, & therefore Top Secret was keeping you in the true spirit of the game? Just sayin’… 🙂

Warren
Warren
18 days 4 hours ago

Yeah Top Secret was not the best designed game but it’s box cover is one of the best covers in RPG history. My God what a beautiful composition. Of course the Beretta has a lot to do with that.

Weirdly, one of the next best covers is also a spy game. Flying Buffalos Mercenaries, Spies, and Private Eyes cover knocks the cover off the ball.