Left Wing Bias in Publishing: Your Wrongthink Will Be Punished!

This is a great read about the political bias in mainstream publishing.  http://www.nickcolebooks.com/2016/02/09/banned-by-the-publisher/

But remember, all of those allegations about ideological bias against conservative and libertarians was just in you Wrongfans’ imagination.

I don’t know Nick Cole. I spoke with him on the internet for the first time this week. I’ve never read any of his books, but apparently lots of people have. From what I understand he was a solid midlister, who was selling well, and growing his backlist. The usual good career track stuff. His last book did well and got great reviews. However, one small bit in the next (under contract) book in the series hopelessly offended a young editor at Harper and it went sideways. But read Nick’s account.  It is fascinating stuff.

For years we’ve known there is a liberal bias in the publishing industry. I mean come on, almost all of them work in Manhattan. Duh. Of course the publishing industry vehemently denies that. Left wing fans don’t see it the same way fish don’t notice water is wet. It just is.  Right wing fans get sick of being preached at or treated like they’re stupid, and go spend their entertainment dollars elsewhere.

Because this isn’t my first rodeo, I already know exactly how Nick is going to get attacked and dismissed.

1. There is no bias.

On the contrary, it is biased, and anybody who has paid any attention at all knows it. Just like Americans in general, some authors are politically apathetic and don’t pay any attention to that part of their business. Other authors know about the bias, but they benefit from it, so they’re cool. Other authors know it, but don’t say anything because speaking up is at best a hassle, and at worse, career damaging. Then there’re some of us who can’t keep our big stupid mouths shut.

Authors are about as evenly divided ideologically as the rest of America, but you wouldn’t know it from looking at what we say in public, or reading our books. That’s because most of the non-left keep their heads down to avoid rocking the boat. In my genre there are hundreds of outspoken left wing authors, because that’s accepted, normal, and good, while there are a few dozen outspoken on the right. And that’s way more than when I started. The declining power of traditional gatekeepers has enabled more writers to speak freely.

Once I started being really vocal I was shocked by how many well-known, established authors I met who had the wrong politics who were keeping their heads down out of fear of damaging their careers. I’m talking living legends, and I’m all like “Whoa… You?” There are lots more than you’d think. We’ve got like a secret handshake and a decoder ring and everything now.

I’ve also spoken to a bunch of liberal authors who think the system is hopelessly biased to the point of stifling free expression and artistic creativity, but even being on the home team they can’t say anything without fear of hurting their careers. All the time at cons I meet an author for the first time and get some variation of “I disagree with your politics, but you’re right about this.” And then it usually turns into them ranting about how messed up their publishing house is.

1. Let’s quibble over the definition of “censorship” and “banned”.

I haven’t read the other side’s take on Nick’s article yet, but knowing them as well as I do I can guarantee that will be brought up. While I was reading that link the second I saw those terms I knew the CHORFs would do the whole Strain at a Gnat, Swallow a Camel thing, nitpick the definitions, and then dismiss the whole thing.

Yes. A publisher is perfectly free to reject a book.

Yes. Refusing to publish someone’s work is not the same as banning it.

Yes. Part of an editor’s job is “censoring”.

Yes. Part of an editor’s job is understanding the author’s market, what the customers want, and providing them a product which will sell and be profitable.

Duh.

Great. Now that the stupidly obvious is out of the way for the dimwits at File 770 (don’t forget to look both ways before crossing the street!), let’s get down to the important part of Why it was rejected.

Politics. Period.

So, for definitions I wouldn’t use the word Ban, but it is certainly censorship: the practice of officially examining books, movies, etc., and suppressing unacceptable parts.

And this wasn’t a message book. This wasn’t a big recurring theme. This wasn’t a preachy, beat you over the head with Special Topic X message of the day (note, all that stuff is perfectly cool with mainstream publishing when it is left wing), this was one bit of backstory about one group of characters explaining their motivations.

But that one kernel of something that could be construed as going against holy left wing dogma was the kiss of death. It was horribly offensive. AIs find casual abortion of convenience an indicator of humans possessing a callous disregard for life… (that’s actually a pretty clever idea for the usual AI uprising trope). Nope. That’ll offend 50% of your audience!

Oh bullshit.

In a genre where we can be eyeball deep in murder, rape, genocide, every crime known to man while inventing a bunch of new ones, carnage, and sheer awfulness, with dangerous ideas supposedly our bread and butter… Yet having a bit that from the PoV of one group looking at a progressive sacrament in a negative light is just too offensive to tolerate. Now if a left wing author wants to sprinkle liberal amounts of abortion through their fiction, make all the Christians into belligerent inbred rednecks, and then kick George Bush’s severed head down the street, nobody in Manhattan publishing is going to bat an eye. Because they live in a Manhattan echo chamber where everybody thinks the same way, and the idea of there being customers who would find that offensive is simply inconceivable to them.

This is supposed to be a genre of ideas, big ones, small ones, and dangerous ones. The problem is that for too long we’ve had a homogenous bunch of gatekeepers, many of whom were willing to sacrifice story and creativity in favor of enforcing a rigid group think. And then some ideas just aren’t allowed.

The fact that this editor thought that bit would turn off 50% of Nick’s audience just demonstrates how incredibly out of touch these people are now. Sure, years ago that might have been the case because all of the review places were as in lockstep as the publishers, so if anything with dangerous wrongthink escaped into the wild it would be trashed or ignored. They’re still trying to do that (which was one of the reasons behind Sad Puppies) but their stranglehold is crumbling.

1. This is all a publicity stunt to sell more books.

Since I’m an author with GET PAID in my mission statement, I wouldn’t blame him if it was, but I don’t think so. That story is far too familiar, and I know too many other authors where similar things have happened. However, I warned Nick yesterday to get ready. This story appears to have gone viral. He is probably about to get slandered with every vile accusation imaginable by the CHORFs.

We’ve seen repeatedly that any time an author breaks from the group think, they’re going to get slammed. If you say anything at all about the existing system, it is either a publicity stunt, or you’re a delusional liar, or a bitter whiner with sour grapes. At no point in time does the idea that you’re telling the truth as you perceive it actually ever enter into their narrative.

Yet you can tell the truth and get publicity. Once this story broke Nick’s self pubbed version of this book went right to the top of the charts. Scaring off 50% of your audience? Nonsense. He’s sitting at #1 in like three genres right now. Like I said, the gatekeepers are crumbling. Their ignorance would be laughable if it hadn’t already screwed over so many good authors.

Here is the beautiful part… For decades the left held all the power. Readers are sick of their shit. The fact that standing up to them can actually be a sales boost demonstrates that their power is waning. You know why I talk about the size of my royalty checks? Because nothing pisses the bullies off more than being successful despite their best efforts to trash you.

Nick is getting publicity off of this? GOOD. That means creators no longer have to be beholden to the whims of every twenty something junior editor with a gender studies degree in Manhattan.

One Star Reviews Over Book Prices are Dumb.
Son of the Black Sword is an Audie Award finalist, Best Fantasy 2016

239 Comments on "Left Wing Bias in Publishing: Your Wrongthink Will Be Punished!"

Brian Niemeier
Brian Niemeier
5 months 20 days ago

Thanks for continually shining a light on this, Larry. Thanks also for pointing me (and many others) toward my latest book purchase 🙂

The cognitive dissonance and downright pettiness of the establishment is truly mind-boggling. An outfit that shall remain nameless recently caught the vapors from a post in which I failed to properly ostracize Vox.

Since they have zero leverage over me, they vented their catty frustration at one of my editors. Classy!

Christopher M. Chupik
Christopher M. Chupik

Could that organization’s name rhyme with “Dial to Eleventy”? 😉

Joshua Young
Joshua Young
5 months 20 days ago

Surprisingly, it was not. It was someone that I had assumed was more on our side than not. Dial to Eleventy’s rage would hardly be news.

Brian Niemeier
Brian Niemeier
5 months 20 days ago

Oddly, not this time. But we probably shouldn’t rule it out.

Eric, MSgt, USAF, Ret.
Eric, MSgt, USAF, Ret.
5 months 20 days ago

Dang Larry, I was going t send you the Redstate article link as a heads up! As I posted on the Book of Faces: “… This country is ging to split apart, progressives on one side, conservatives on the other. Well, probably won’t be too bad if that happens. Think of who wants to ban firearms, then think of who owns them! Would you want to bring a protest sign to a gun fight?”
Keep up the good work, Sir! I’ve loved everything you’ve written. Just wish I could afford one of those MHI lowers.

EndOfPatience
EndOfPatience
5 months 19 days ago

Simply for accuracy sake, we’re already two nations inhabiting one country.

And as Kurt Schlichter pointed out, they’re trapped in here with us. My addition is, they’re free to leave whenever they want – for now.

Dawn Dreams
Dawn Dreams
5 months 20 days ago

Excellent, another buycott! I now have two more books added to my hugely long, hopeless-optimistic-in-my-own-longevity long TBR list.

Hugh Mannity
Hugh Mannity
5 months 20 days ago

We’re going to live forever because we can’t die until we’ve read all the books we own!

Keep writing (and reading) Larry!

wade
wade
5 months 20 days ago

I bought Monster Hunter International when I saw a blurb about Sad Puppies (two I think) on Instapundit. I’ve now read (or listened to) all of Larry’s books. In my case the controversy led me to find a great new writer.

mark
mark

Same here. I think I’ll sue Glenn for the resulting damage to my bank account 😉

Wolfmanjim
Wolfmanjim
5 months 20 days ago

3: This is all a publicity stunt to sell more books.

Since he had to self publish, DUH!

Patrick
Patrick
5 months 20 days ago

I’m a pro-choice (on everything — abortion, guns, drugs, marriage, etc.) libertarian and nothing in the sample chapter was remotely offensive, aside from the fact that I think the author may be prescient about the future of reality television.

I guess I’m not the Manhattan publisher’s market, either.

I’m buying the book.

5 months 20 days ago

An unemotional intelligence taking human actions literally is classic SF, and doing so in the context of some goofy TV show is straight out of Phillip Dick. Would these folks have published Dick? These folks like to think of themselves as progressives but they are the sorts who banned even the mild Edgar Rice Burroughs from libraries.

jic
jic
5 months 19 days ago

“Would these folks have published Dick?”

If they keep going like they are, they’ll have dick to publish.

Richard McEnroe
Richard McEnroe
5 months 16 days ago

Dey ain’t publishing dick I read now.m.

junior
junior
5 months 20 days ago
Unfortunately, to many in the pro-choice side of the argument (note – I’m pro-life), *anything* that might cast aspersions on abortion is to be prohibited. For instance, the primary reason why Kermit Gosnell’s Abortion House of Horrors was allowed to continue running as long as it did was because there was a fear in his state that if the inspectors who were legally required to inspect abortion clinics did so, and were forced to shut one down (which is what should have happened to Gosnell), then it would cause a negative backlash against abortion. IIrc, what eventually caused Gosnell to… Read more »
5 months 20 days ago

I understand that “many” is not the same as “all”, but just for the record: I’m pro-choice, and I believe that anyone should be able to freely express whatever opinion he wants to express about abortion, even if (especially if) he disagrees with me. Or, in other words, most SJWs are liberal, but not all liberals are SJWs.

junior
junior
5 months 20 days ago

Unfortunately, the ‘many’ happens to include a lot of people in power. Otherwise, Gosnell would have been caught much, much earlier.

Doctor Locketopus
Doctor Locketopus
5 months 19 days ago

“*anything* that might cast aspersions on abortion is to be prohibited.”

Yes. See the flap about “humanizing the fetus” in the Doritos Super Bowl commercial.

5 months 15 days ago

Yeah, that was especially dumb, since the doctor is clearly heard to state ‘any day now,’ thus ‘full term’ thus waaaaay beyond the time it’s allowed to be aborted.

It’s hilarious, honestly, because when the dimwitted pro-aborts in question shrieked and screamed, they revealed that they’re okay with aborting viable, full term babies.

jaed
jaed
5 months 14 days ago

‘full term’ thus waaaaay beyond the time it’s allowed to be aborted

Minor note: ten US states have no age restrictions on abortion, and in these states it is legal to abort a viable full-term baby.

snelson134
snelson134
5 months 13 days ago

Ten states have them; how many of them are actually enforced, given that most of the clinics are in blue-run cities and no one really wants the reputation for misogyny on their record that the SJWs will put there……. is a whole ‘nother question.

Kermit Gosnell ring any bells?

Jim
Jim
5 months 15 days ago

Since you appear to be willing to actually converse, maybe you can answer a question for me that most “pro-choice” folks either ignore or just scream profanity when I ask. Do you support the choice to kill one’s children after birth as well, or do you believe that being born somehow imparts a different status upon the child?

5 months 14 days ago

I’d have replaced ‘offensive’ with terrifying, myself, because we’re kinda there. At the edge of that scary description being reality.

Greg Shackelford
Greg Shackelford
5 months 20 days ago

I am probably on many other “Wrongthink” lists, what’s one more. I love your work, and I am going to give Nick a try. Hell, that’s how I started reading your books. When I get caught up on my regular authors (Weber, Ringo, Kratman, Taylor, Williamson) I typically browse books looking for Baen Books on the spine.

BigFire
BigFire
5 months 20 days ago

When I pick this story from your twitter feed yesterday, I spend $0.99 of my hard earned money and bought the book right away.

steve caldwell
steve caldwell
5 months 20 days ago
Larry, way to skewer the leftist gatekeepers! When I saw Nick’s original post, I read the blog and was thinking WTF? I have been Facebook friends with Nick Ever since discovering Soda Pop Soldier, and he has always been a gracious, even tempered guy. I immediately bought Control/Alt, Revolt! and started reading the “oh so offensive” first chapter. What a load of horsecrap by his Pub house. It actually struck me as more an Ironic scen than enything else, the AI arguing with itself (subroutines debating) about this episode of a reality show, and thinking that it was completely reflective… Read more »
Thomas Hewlett
Thomas Hewlett
5 months 20 days ago

Very interesting read! Immediate thought was: I don’t see what was so offensive in that chapter, for pro-lifers or pro-choicers. The robots are a new life form, see how humans deal with threatening life forms and draw their own conclusions. So the problem is….?

J.E. Mac
J.E. Mac
5 months 20 days ago
I read an ARC before I even knew he was dropped. When I found out he was dropped, I also didn’t know what was offensive. So I asked. And had to laugh. Because it was beyond stupid. Apparently, the problem is American literacy and reading comprehension in general, because: 1) The first chapter (Hell, the first line of the book) is very satirical. Somehow, the “editor” missed this. 2) You’re actually supposed to be offended by how callous, vapid, and self centered this reality TV star’s decision to abort her child is… because it’s the whole reason the robots in… Read more »
Laughingdog
Laughingdog
5 months 20 days ago

His blog is already blocked on the NMCI system. So that says a lot to me right there.

Murgy
Murgy
5 months 20 days ago

I had to google NMCI. Being blocked by NMCI means “what” to us civilians? (Getting asked Every Page Refresh if I wanted to subscribe to his newsletter got a teeny bit annoying, but that’s a different issue. Or is it?) Cryptic isn’t very useful, in this context.
Regardless, I read the preview on Amazon, and found it interesting. YMMV

Carrie B
Carrie B
5 months 20 days ago

I’d imagine there are thousands (upon thousands) of blogs blocked on NMCI. The important question is “WHEN did it get blocked?”

Anachronda
Anachronda
5 months 20 days ago

NMCI blocks things that it doesn’t know about, which appears to be the case here. Note the “Category: None” on the denial page.

PeterK
PeterK
5 months 20 days ago

I’ll admit I did the publicity stunt thing. Granted I also don’t care. If it’s a publicity stunt good for him. I am glad he’s seeing success. Wresting control from CHORFs is always a good thing.

C.J. Carella
C.J. Carella
5 months 20 days ago

We finally have a real marketplace of ideas in place, thanks to ebooks. A few years ago, Nick’s story would have ended with him blackballed in the industry, his books gone off print, and his writing career utterly destroyed. The times, they are a’changing. Readers now have the chance to decide what’s worthwhile, rather than a group of self-deluded wannabe commissars whose track record shows they have next to no idea what their customers want.

Biill Reich
Biill Reich

Shut up and write

Skyler the Weird
Skyler the Weird
5 months 20 days ago

They complain about Doritos Commercials it’s not surprising then that they would point and shreik at Synthetics not wishing to be aborted.

Anthony Pacheco
Anthony Pacheco

BOOK BOMB him, Larry!

Cadeyrn
Cadeyrn
5 months 20 days ago

Actually, if you follow the link in the main story to Amazon, the book is on sale right now for $0.99 – quite the bargain.

Alex Jeffries
Alex Jeffries
5 months 20 days ago

It’s also on Kindle Unlimited.

Fruitbat44
Fruitbat44
5 months 20 days ago

OMG and WTF? I hope it isn’t a publicity stunt; the boy who cried wolf and all that. OTOH I’d rather not think there were editors for major publishing houses out there who were so knee-jerk in their opinions. -sigh- Okay I always believe in getting both sides of the story before forming a definite opinion, but it doesn’t look good.

airboy
airboy
5 months 20 days ago

Sounds like another publisher can pick up a profitable author to me.

Hillary's Server Selling Secrets
Hillary's Server Selling Secrets
5 months 20 days ago

Bought his book this morning

Were-Puppy
Were-Puppy
5 months 20 days ago

I got one of the books, $.99 at Amazon. I’d not heard of the guy before this, and I’m a sucker to help out someone battling the CHORFs and self unaware SJWs.

Bill Harrison
Bill Harrison
5 months 19 days ago

I’ve read most of his books and love them. Read his Wasteland series. It’s excellent. So is Soda Pop Soldier.

T.L. Knighton
T.L. Knighton
5 months 20 days ago

I read Nick Cole’s post yesterday. Read his description of what happened in his book, and frankly, I thought it was a hell of a twist on the “AI tries to kill humanity” trope. I liked it.

And I didn’t see it as being a pro-choice message or anything. It was an AI making a decision based on the data it had…which isn’t out of the realm of possibility. Damn, sounds like someone at his publisher needed to up their meds.

5 months 20 days ago

I had the same response. “Well, that’s an interesting take…” and it just didn’t occur to me that I should get in an uproar because these AIs don’t agree with my politics. What am I doing wrong??

Feather Blade
Feather Blade
5 months 16 days ago

Report to Reeducation Farm 7. You will be informed of the nature of your failure there.

5 months 13 days ago

[reports to farm, discovers three starving pigs and an arthritic goat]

Hey, who’s managing this place? Must be a bureaucrat.

5 months 15 days ago

It’s a logical conclusion, really, given what reproduction is supposed to be about. AIs work off of logic. That’s too alien a concept for the CHORFs.

5 months 13 days ago

Yep. And now it occurs to me that I’ve seen the same concept used before, except it was aliens who reached the same conclusion about humans, for the same reason. (Been a lot of years ago, no idea whose work)

Saber Alter
Saber Alter
5 months 12 days ago

We’re discussing a group of people who sincerely believe that if you “identify” as a woman, you are regardless of your plumbing, chromosomes, brain wiring, or anything else that’s provable in the real world. Logic is not a part of their skill set.

5 months 20 days ago
“Crossed Genres ‏@crossedgenres Dec 3 The ‘Golden Age’ of SFF contained absurd amounts of racism, sexism, etc. in its most revered works. So no, we wouldn’t publish those books… We said if presented w/ those works new & unpublished, we wouldn’t publish them. The fact that they were published means racism/sexism was more openly accepted back then. That doesn’t make it okay. They shldn’t have been published” * “Many of the books tossed into the flames in Berlin that night by the joyous students under the approving eye of Dr. Goebbels had been written by authors of world reputation. They… Read more »
Doctor Locketopus
Doctor Locketopus
5 months 19 days ago

Long Hidden has a current Amazon sales rank of #428,741. Mr. Cole’s book has a current sales rank of #173.

As they say, living well is the best revenge. 🙂

It’s also interesting that of the Long Hidden contributors with author pics on Amazon, 6/8 (75%) appear to be white.

5 months 19 days ago

Here are the “hidden,” from the Kickstarter blurb: “…enslaved people, indigenous people, people of color, queer people, laborers, women, people with disabilities, the very young and very old, and religious minorities, among others—are relegated to the margins.”

I only recognized 8 of the 25 authors by name. None are straight white males. All have a history of anti-white, anti-male non-fiction rhetoric. In other words they are my favorite new phrase about Third Wave Feminists: “graceless sociopaths.” The fact they pass themselves off as an anti-defamation league is where Orwell comes in.

Steve S
Steve S
5 months 20 days ago
One of the first stories I submitted for critique at my writing group got the same weird threats when I refused to change two aspects of the story. The first aspect was a simple joke about female dogs and werewolves calling their female members bitches. Since it was a harsh story with harsh characters doing harsh things with a harsh sense of humor those minor jokes fit perfectly. The people who did the actual critique got the jokes (and the people around the table laughed at the jokes when I read the first half of the story aloud) but in… Read more »
A Nobody
A Nobody
5 months 14 days ago
“I was writing for guys like me … ” Son, I’m a middle-aged old lady who is also tired of the CHORF littrachewer tropes. I love Buffy, but she started an avalanche that I’m well and truly sick of. I actively look for SFF with male leads and robust action sequences. A book with the currently-typical female badass of all wisdom really has to have something extra going for it for me to look closely (an author I already like, an interesting twist in world-building, etc.). So keep writing YOUR stories and e-publish them so I can read them. Oh,… Read more »
NukemHill
NukemHill
5 months 20 days ago

Thanks for the link, Larry. Picked up the book right away.

detroyes
detroyes
5 months 20 days ago

Well, I know at least one book that will be making the Sad Puppies V list…

Mark Olivares
Mark Olivares
5 months 20 days ago

Cole’s Wasteland series was a fun read. I’d read this even if it DIDN’T offend the Left, that
‘s just an extra benefit.

Harold Lines
Harold Lines
5 months 20 days ago

Why not start a publishing company that’s friendly to conservative writers? Or maybe I should say friendly to ALL writers, regardless of their politics. Maybe that would allow the conservative “living legends” to come out of the shadows.

Dave Freer
Dave Freer
5 months 20 days ago
Larry, while I agree with most of what you’re saying, there are a couple of relevant points I’d like to make. Firstly Gallup puts Liberals at 24% of the population (and Conservatives at 38%, with moderates taking up the rest) As the doctrinaire US liberals aggressively disdain and discriminate against moderates let alone conservatives that means ‘appeasing 24% of the audience at the expense of 76%. Secondly the discrimination against anyone not overtly liberal by traditional NYC publishing means that while there are closet moderates and conservatives (and a handful who are ‘out’) the authors who have been bought were… Read more »
ChristopherM. Chupik
ChristopherM. Chupik
5 months 20 days ago

Meanwhile, conservatives are portrayed as some kind of micro-minority, doomed to extinction Any Day Now.

5 months 20 days ago
I think (or, perhaps, hope) that the polls are underestimating the number of moderates, due to lumping all “liberals” into the same category. For example, if you asked me about my stance on most of the litmus test social topics — abortion, gun control, gay marriage, religion, etc. — then I’d probably come off sounding as Marx’s best buddy or something. However, I hate the SJW mentality with a passion akin to the one that conservatives reserve for abortion supporters. I think there exists at least circumstantial evidence to suggest that many (if not most) leftists are similar to myself,… Read more »
Robin Munn
Robin Munn
5 months 20 days ago
I hate the SJW mentality with a passion akin to the one that conservatives reserve for abortion supporters. I think there exists at least circumstantial evidence to suggest that many (if not most) leftists are similar to myself, and that SJWs are a radical (but extremely vocal) minority. If so, then the best thing you can do to defeat the SJW mentality is to speak up against it. You may be afraid of having the SJW mob turn on you if you do, but it’s important to have sane leftist voices be heard. Sarah Hoyt recently posted a Don Camillo… Read more »
5 months 20 days ago

Unfortunately, I’m just some random guy, and not an Internet personality with 1,000,000 Twitter followers. In fact, I am not even signed up for any social media services, and I’d rather keep it that way.

That said, I’ve been banned from every SJW blog I’ve ever participated in so far, so hey, I must be doing something right !

Random lefty
Random lefty
5 months 18 days ago
That’s not the point. At the moment, SJWs are able to hound people out of jobs by putting pressure on their employer, and so on. I’m probably the most left-wing person on this blog (heck, if I was in the US I’d vote for Bernie Sanders). It feels – possibly not for real – that everyone is either an outspoken American conservative, a SJW or terrified of them. At least 30% of my politically-inclined friends have gone full SJW over the last three years. That’s all they post about on social media. It’s like watching an emergent cult. If you… Read more »
boballab
boballab
5 months 20 days ago
The survey Dave Freer is talking about is similar to the one Pew does and it isn’t based on sub topics, it is a straight question: “Do you consider yourself conservative, liberal or moderate/independent?” (different companies use different 3rd grouping). You can look it up but self identified liberals usually run about 20% to 22% and self identified conservatives run around 36% to 38% depending on the survey and year. Here is the link to the Gallup survey: http://www.gallup.com/poll/180452/liberals-record-trail-conservatives.aspx Note that conservatives are the largest single self identified group and if you go by strict numbers if you have to… Read more »
Mike Lorrey
Mike Lorrey
5 months 18 days ago

Actually the polls are underestimating the number of leftists, because the worst always tell pollsters that they are moderates. It’s a central tenet of marxist dialectical conflict theory that you work to move the middle of the political spectrum parts by creating false conflicts between extremes, and part by redefining what the middle position is.

Captain Whitebread
Captain Whitebread
5 months 20 days ago

I bought the book and look forward to reading it. Thanks, Larry.

Wes S.
Wes S.
5 months 20 days ago
Years ago, I read a Harlan Ellison short story – I forget the title – in which the scumbag, responsibility-dodging protagonist was helping his girlfriend get an abortion at the start of the story . . . and by the end of it found himself trapped in a sewer with hundreds of feral children who’d similarly been flushed away as babies. The last line of the story has stuck with me ever since: “They call me father.” Now, Ellison is hardly a conservative or a pro-lifer, and IIRC he was already well-established as a force in several genres when he… Read more »
roo_ster
roo_ster
5 months 20 days ago

The story you describe is “Croatoan.”

Medron Pryde
Medron Pryde
5 months 20 days ago
I did some research (googling) and found the following snippet that may just be about the story you speak of. “Sex and our culture’s preoccupation with same provides Ellison with plenty of ammunition. In Lonely Women are the Vessels of Time, he takes aim at singles bars and hits them hard. Moving from one-night stand to one-night stand and leaving a trail of broken hearts behind him, the protagonist ultimately meets a succubus who is even emptier and more needy than he is. After taking his potency and his soul, she tells him “Now get up and get dressed and… Read more »
Doctor Locketopus
Doctor Locketopus
5 months 20 days ago

” I read a Harlan Ellison short story – I forget the title…”

Croatoan.

Frank Luke
Frank Luke
5 months 19 days ago

I read that story decades ago. I didn’t realize it was Ellison (I doubt I would have recognized the name back then anyway).

Griz
Griz
5 months 19 days ago

What types of stories would be included in Dangerous Visions if it were published today. SJWs consider anything anti-PC as DANGEROUS!

5 months 19 days ago

A Frazetta cover is considered too dangerous for the SFWA.

Christopher M. Chupik
Christopher M. Chupik
5 months 19 days ago

No Dangerous Visions allowed in safe spaces.

Hugh Manniy
Hugh Manniy
5 months 20 days ago

Dammit Larry, you’re ruining my book-buying budget.

Now there’s another author whose books I’m going to be buying. It’s just as well I got my tax refund today.

The SJWs are the best publicists an author could have. They bring in dozens of new readers every time they slam another book. And best of all, you don’t have to pay them for it!

tmechanic
tmechanic
5 months 20 days ago

From what I read on his blog, this is the prequel to Soda Pop Soldier, and about half of the comments were from people who’d read Soda Pop Soldier and were getting the new book because they enjoyed Soda Pop Soldier. Personally I went dead tree.

Nohbody
Nohbody
5 months 20 days ago

Regarding the “publicity stunt” argument, I can’t help but wonder if many of those who make those kind of complaints (and not just about the subject of this blog post) are quite happy to forward/retweet/etc click-bait articles from places like Salon, HuffPo, MSNBC, Gawker, and other SJW (or SJW sympathizing) websites, where the title is part of their attempt to gather page views to pitch to advertising agencies that may potentially want to buy ad space from said websites.

5 months 20 days ago

Proglodyte truism are so obviously true that people must be punished for examining them.

The Phantom
The Phantom
5 months 20 days ago

So far the “discussion” at Vile770 is proceeding exactly as the Dread Overlord Correia has forseen.

I think Larry has their number.

They only have the one.

SteveW
SteveW

770?

5 months 19 days ago

Number as in song, shtick, act, routine, hustle…

Doug Loss
Doug Loss

666.

Frank Luke
Frank Luke
5 months 19 days ago

“Easy Captain. As civilized men, you can act like barbarians. However, they, as barbarians, cannot act like civilized men.” -Paraphrasing Spock in Mirror, Mirror

Richard McEnroe
Richard McEnroe

Have you SEEN Trump debate? *G*

Torin3
Torin3
5 months 18 days ago

Which thread? Because I’m not seeing any discussion of it there, (no URL please, just the date the thread was posted)

Torin3
Torin3
5 months 17 days ago

Found it, it was started on the 7th, and I wasn’t looking that far back.

5 months 20 days ago
There’s irony piled on irony here. In 1956 and ’58 Rod Serling brought two teleplays to TV about the 1955 Mississippi kidnapping and murder of a 14 yr. old black kid named Emmett Till for saying something or other to a white women. The shows were so heavily watered down by network execs and sponsors the point was lost, which infuriated Serling. Over in SFF Ray Bradbury was openly publishing 3 blatantly anti-Jim Crow stories from 1945 to 1951 but which got some crossover into the mainstream arena. Serling knew Bradbury personally and it must have frustrated him even more… Read more »
jic
jic
5 months 19 days ago

“They have destroyed SFF in a space of only 5 years by throwing pure shit written by graceless, bigoted, sociopaths at us and calling it ‘social justice.'”

SFF is doing just fine. They’ve destroyed mainstream SFF publishing, which ultimately hurts themselves more than anybody else.

5 months 19 days ago
That’s true, because when you throw people like N.K. Jemisin, Daniel Jose Older, John Scalzi, Kameron Hurley, Ann Leckie, Aliette de Bodard and Elizabeth Bear into a meritocracy like self-publishing they will simply disappear. Peter Hamilton’s 1.2 million word Night’s Dawn novel has more good writing and ideas than the total work of all those people put together and yet within SFWA culture it is Hamilton who disappears by reason of being indifferent to intersectional gay feminism. No one ever “told” people to like Hamilton; they just did. Stop virtue-signaling our doughty social justice warriors and their drifting adjectives, inability… Read more »
Rodrick Su
Rodrick Su
5 months 19 days ago

Hamilton’s problem is that he needs a good editor that can cut down on his infodump a bit.

5 months 18 days ago

I know nothing about most of these writers, but IMO Scalzi could make it. The first two books of the Old Man’s War trilogy were great, IMO (the third one was kind of like his own Star Trek V though), and the Lock-in world is at least somewhat interesting.

Yes, Scalzi’s politics are of course insane, but he can still write quite well when he chooses to do so. In the end, that’s all that matters.

5 months 18 days ago

Scalzi made it on the mighty shoulders of K. Tempest Bradford and N.K. Jemisin. They in turn upped their profiles using Scalzi. Take that 69 away and they disappear. To find dialogue like Scalzi’s I’d have to go back to The Blind Spot by Austin Hall and Homer Eon Flint, pre-1920.

Brian Z
Brian Z
5 months 17 days ago

“Scalzi made it on the mighty shoulders of K. Tempest Bradford and N.K. Jemisin. ”

Oh come on. Maybe he preaches to the choir sometimes on his blog, but that came later. His initial success was due to 1) being a good writer and 2) attaching industrially processed dead mammal flesh to indignant living mammals. He doesn’t have to be the next Gene Wolfe to write the odd book that’s quite worth reading.

5 months 13 days ago
Go look at Scalzi’s latest parrot talk about the Twitter harassment of “women and/or people in marginalized groups.” He fails to mention such people are, like the very Randy Harper he defends, feral sociopaths who light up straight white males in Twitter round-robins that go on for months or even years. Any time you hear the word “marginalized” the stink of Orwellian Newspeak has entered the room. The idea anyone as lacking in perception as Scalzi could write an SF novel worth reading is ridiculous. Go ahead and be a SF writer yourself here; extrapolate Scalzi into a future society… Read more »
Synova
Synova
5 months 17 days ago

Scalzi also got seriously boosted by Instapundit before he decided that he’d just rather “those people” not read his books.

5 months 15 days ago

Pull the other one. Francis Stevens from 100 years ago is still a more innovative writer than Scalzi.

5 months 15 days ago
Just because something isn’t innovative doesn’t mean I won’t happily read it. 1. I’m not necessarily old enough to have had access to all the old classic high quality science fiction. 2. I’ve enjoyed reading stuff that was, objectively, badly written. 3. I’ve been reading fanfic for years. 4. These days I’m mostly burnt out on Naruto and Harry Potter fanfic, and entirely satisfied with Naruto and Harry Potter canon. 5. The fanfic I have open in the other tab now is of okay quality, but probably isn’t innovative. The two source properties are also a little and very derivative.… Read more »
5 months 15 days ago
If you reward mediocrity, then mediocrity is what you end up with. If the readership of the old Weird Tales had rewarded someone like Scalzi instead of people like C. Ashton Smith, C.L. Moore and R.E. Howard, such smart, artful and innovative voices would’ve rightly concluded there is no audience in this genre for them and either given up or switched to a genre which did appreciate them. You could scratch one golden age of weird fiction, and it is really as simple as that. The reason Burroughs started writing is he correctly concluded he could do better than what… Read more »
5 months 13 days ago

I found _Old Man’s War_ entertaining, the 2nd book in the series so-so (starting to feel recycled), and the 3rd boring to the point that I swore off reading any further Scalzi. And this was before any of the Kerfluffle, so no blame there.

Jim
Jim
5 months 15 days ago

Scalzi can occasionally write an entertaining story, but only by embracing the stereotypical protagonists he falsely accuses others of using.

Christopher M. Chupik
Christopher M. Chupik
5 months 19 days ago

Science-Fiction will survive these idiots. Their power is not nearly as great as they would have us believe.

5 months 18 days ago
The 3 early ’70s SF Hall of Fame anthologies administered by the SFWA were the benchmark of excellence. 44 of the 48 stories are clustered over a 16 year period. 1938 2 – 1940 1 – 1941 3 – 1942 2 – 1943 1 – 1944 2 – 1945 1 – 1946 1 – 1947 2 – 1948 4 – 1949 1 – 1950 3 – 1951 3 – 1952 4 – 1953 3 – 1954 3 – 1955 1 – 1957 1 – 1958 1 – 1959 1 – 1960 1 – 1961 1 – 1962 1 – 1963… Read more »
Captain Comic
Captain Comic
5 months 20 days ago
I posted a bit over at Sarah’s before I found out about this. I ran across a quote from filmmaker Joel Coen via a link from Ace of Spades HQ on the subject of “needing” minority/gender/sexuality balance: He continued: “You don’t sit down and write a story and say, ‘I’m going to write a story that involves four black people, three Jews, and a dog,’—right? That’s not how stories get written. If you don’t understand that, you don’t understand anything about how stories get written and you don’t realize that the question you’re asking is idiotic.” I…I’ve always enjoyed the… Read more »
Luke
Luke
5 months 20 days ago

If he was just causing a stink to make money, he’d have priced the book higher.
It’s a bargain, by a good author, and by purchasing it you get to tell all the right people to go to hell.

What’s not to love?

trackback

[…] Larry Correia naturally has thoughts on the matter: Left Wing Bias in Publishing: Your Wrongthink Will Be Punished! […]

trackback

[…] YOUR BEST SHOCKED FACE ON: Left Wing Bias in Publishing: Your Wrongthink Will Be Punished!  Shocked, I tel you.  SO […]

David
David
5 months 20 days ago

Ungoodthink, old boy. It’s Room 101 for you.

Jay Currie
Jay Currie
5 months 20 days ago

Amazon Best Sellers Rank: #177 Paid in Kindle Store (See Top 100 Paid in Kindle Store)
#1 in Kindle Store > Kindle eBooks > Science Fiction & Fantasy > Science Fiction > Cyberpunk
#1 in Books > Science Fiction & Fantasy > Science Fiction > Cyberpunk
#3 in Books > Mystery, Thriller & Suspense > Thrillers & Suspense > Technothrillers

It will be fun to watch Nick blow up big. His editor? Well his editor will be looking for another job fairly soon.

trackback

[…] UPDATE: Larry Correia’s take on the sit­u­a­tion is longer and far more enter­tain­ing than mine. […]

baldilocks
baldilocks
5 months 20 days ago

Even my pulp publisher didn’t like the one line I put in a character’s mouth about Islam.

5 months 20 days ago

Bought it. Then looked at his list and bought more.

JSchuler
JSchuler
5 months 20 days ago
“In this case, unacceptable was a small idea that cast a bit of liberal orthodoxy in a negative light. And this wasn’t a message book. This wasn’t a big recurring theme. This wasn’t a preachy, beat you over the head with Special Topic X message of the day (note, all that stuff is perfectly cool with mainstream publishing when it is left wing), ” I read Ctrl+Alt+Revolt, and I have to say, the above isn’t true. Oh, it’s not preachy about abortion. That’s a one-and-done thing in the first chapter. However, the book does take the piss out of SJWs… Read more »
Bibliotheca Servare
Bibliotheca Servare
5 months 19 days ago

IMO Harper Collins can suck it either way. “Half the audience” is a delusional, ridiculous overstatement.

JSchuler
JSchuler
5 months 19 days ago

It could actually be an understatement. It doesn’t mean that half the audience agrees with SJWism. It just means half the audience would rather not have politics thrown at them on every page. Which, would be a lovely thought for publishers to keep in mind if it applied equally to all forms of politics, the allowed politics having pre-alienated more than half of potential buyers from the market entirely.

So, not a delusional or ridiculous statement at all, but a self-unaware statement.

5 months 19 days ago

He couldn’t have published Ctl+Alt+Revolt immediately. At the least, he would have had to get cover art, and check out his legal options. That would include some time for editing. If as others said this thread, he would’ve needed to remove references to Soda Pop Soldier, he may have found adding some F Us thematically appropriate.

JSchuler
JSchuler
5 months 19 days ago
That’s a good point. The more gratuitous shellacking’s may have been added later. Take the “publicity stunt” angle and turn it in on itself; if you’re going to say FU to the publisher, might as well tailor the piece to appeal the people willing to shout it with you. I don’t think he did much to edit out the Soda Pop Soldier related material, because the fictional WonderSoft company is prominent in both. And as he directly references Donkey Kong and Zork and a hundred other trademarked properties throughout the story, I don’t think he’d get in trouble for re-using… Read more »
5 months 19 days ago

Are you claiming George Orwell was an anti-SJW Men’s Rights activist?

Synova
Synova

He wasn’t?

Kristophr
Kristophr
5 months 16 days ago

George Orwell was an ex-socialist who figured out reality when a Stalinist goon tried to execute him during the Spanish civil war for being politically incorrect.

Taking a bullet in the head tends to make you rethink your executioner’s political views.

GMP
GMP
5 months 20 days ago

I just bought three of Nick’s books from Amazon. Feels good to stick it to the man…

xavier
xavier

Larry,

There another factor we shouldn’t overlook: the rampant neptism/clientalism. A lot of those kids get their jobs because mom,dad, aunt,uncle, cousin or classmate give them the job.
And since contemporary univerities no longer teach or enourage the great conversation, the editors extend their cozy comfy safe space tothe workplace . And they make the peons’ life a hassle because we live in the real world with its untamed roughness that apalls their delicate sensibilities

xavier

Francis W. Porretto
Francis W. Porretto
5 months 19 days ago
Mr. Cole has done writers and readers a great favor by disclosing this story. But as important as the details of the story is the effect that this form of “censorship” (I still dislike the word as applied to the actions of market participants, but what the hell) is having upon the offerings that reach readers. We’re learning, slowly but steadily, that for variety and imagination, we should look first to indie writers. The biases and predilections of Pub World have “progressively” choked those virtues out of our preferred genres. Yes, there’s still a great deal of crap issued by… Read more »
snelson134
snelson134
5 months 19 days ago
Francis, the thing that gives these so-called “private” individuals their power is that there is a legal system and dozens of government bureaucracies to encourage and magnify their every complaint. For example, does anyone think that Brandon Eich would have been fired if the government hadn’t given the SJWs the tools to discover his involvement via campaign finance laws, followed by the ability to use various laws to claim his employer was encouraging a “hostile environment” if they didn’t get rid of him? What about the ability to claim “harrassment”, “stalking”, etc. against anyone who disagrees with them, then call… Read more »
Jake Freivald
Jake Freivald
5 months 19 days ago

It normally cracks me up when those who arrogate to writing about alien mindsets can’t understand their fellow humans. In this case, the editor can’t handle the mere idea of an alien/AI mindset. In SF! The editor should try to find a job at the Nation, Salon, or HuffPo.

rjschwaz
rjschwaz
5 months 19 days ago

I love the fact that it’s the villains rational that is unacceptable to the editors. Villains trying to kill all humanity, but they have bad thoughts on abortion and can’t have anyone have bad thoughts on abortion lest a reader not understand that abortion is double-not-good.

Luke
Luke
5 months 19 days ago

“censorship: the practice of officially examining books, movies, etc., and suppressing unacceptable parts.”

You go through all that trouble and them simply ignore the definition of “officially”, as if it doesn’t matter.

Mike Morgan
Mike Morgan
5 months 19 days ago

So the real monsters aren’t vampires, demons, trolls, or ventriloquists, they’re lefty publishers? Okay, I’ll buy that. In fact, you might add an episode and name one of the victims Mike Morgan…

Mike
Mike
5 months 19 days ago

Without regard for my distaste for liberal bias in the media, you’ve yet to steer me wrong on a book recommendation. Bought.

CaptDMO
CaptDMO
5 months 19 days ago

Wow! Operation Choke Point sure gets around, doesn’t it?

Christopher M. Chupik
Christopher M. Chupik

Slightly OT, but the Hugo Assterisk has made a comeback:

trackback

[…] for himself and his work but for his readers. Mr. Cole has written about his experience as have Larry Corriea and Michael Bunker. I highly recommend you check out their […]

Jeff Duntemann
Jeff Duntemann
5 months 19 days ago
This is getting worse, but it’s not new, and it’s not limited to fiction. 25 years ago, an editor at John Wiley & Sons tried to delete the word “Christmas” from a metaphor I was spinning about programming in a tech book: “Facing the task of writing an assembly language program brings to mind images of Christmas morning: You’ve spilled 1,567 small metal parts out of a large box marked Land Shark Hyperbike (some assembly required )…” I screamed bloody murder, and went up the org chart until I found someone sane enough to understand that if they deleted that… Read more »
SteveF
SteveF
5 months 17 days ago

When a fresh-outa-school editor at a programming magazine changed all “he” to “he or she” and thereby changed Donald Knuth to a he-she, I complained all the way up to the mag’s editor-in-chief. She expressed full faith in the junior editor and apparently didn’t look into the substance of that or any of my other complaints. That was the last article they got from me.

Bill
Bill
5 months 19 days ago
The situation does indeed suck. But I still disagree with the word “censor”. The publisher did not censor the author. They simply refused to publish the book. They made a business decision – as misguided as it might have been. They didn’t prevent the author from writing the book. They didn’t prevent the author from selling the book elsewhere – which he is now doing through Amazon. Bad analogy -> when a publisher agrees to publish a book, they’re really buying that book from the author. It’s really only the way payment is made that makes it unique (paid per… Read more »
Richard McEnroe
Richard McEnroe
5 months 15 days ago

This was not a business decision. The business decision was, this guy made us money, let’s do it again. This was a 100% political decision, and worse, it was an arbitrary personal political decision unless this publisher has an openly-available set of acceptable standards of which it’s writers are previously apprised.

5 months 15 days ago

One does not cut off contact and drop someone over a marketing decision. You talk to them. This was in fact censorship.

Guess
Guess
5 months 19 days ago
If this book was banned wouldn’t it be blocked from publication entirely? He said that he was on the release schedule. Doesn’t this mean that Harper/Collins already bought the book? Did I miss something in the blog, but I don’t see a mention of ‘returning the advance’ to get rights to the book back. If not, then doesn’t Harper/Collins own the rights to it release it? If they have not paid him an advance, then Harper/Collins had not bought the book yet right so that is more of a rejection cause I don’t like your conservative values than a ‘ban’.… Read more »
JSchuler
JSchuler
5 months 19 days ago

It’s interesting to look at the description for Ctrl Alt Revolt and realize what is missing: any mention of Soda Pop Soldier, the book this was supposed to be a prequel for. Methinks that, if the series is under contract with HarperCollins, he’s treating it as if the books take place in separate universes in order to circumvent the publisher.

Needless to say, this is much easier to pull off for a prequel than it is for the last book in a series.

5 months 19 days ago

Virago, a “women’s imprint” was formed so that women would have a “unique space” for their “unique voice”. They published a novel, praising it to the skies for its unique womanly insights, perspective and style.

Turned out it was written by a middle-aged white male preacher.

When he came out, not only did they pull the book from circulation, they have to this day not reverted the rights to the author, to my knowledge.

5 months 19 days ago
Let me tell you a funny story. Based on recent research I’ve done, it appears a single daffy 1969 SF novel written by a lesbian theorist named Monique Wittig was so influential to feminist queer theory that without it there is no Ancillary Justice. If that’s true, that means Wittig is the L. Ron Hubbard and Scientology of the intersectional gay feminism you see in SFF today. What’s more fitting than a man-hating cult of anti-science and fake history completely made up out of some delusional woman’s head coming from an SF novel? And more than any other single man,… Read more »
5 months 19 days ago
What was the name of that lesbian novel, out of curiosity ? I mean, was it any good ? That’s all that matters, at the end of the day, whether the story is good or not. Also… heterosexuality was invented ? Who invented it, Chuck Norris ? That’s just… bizarre. I guess you could make a softer claim, and say that the concept of sexuality as part of one’s identity was invented recently; before then, people (at least, in some societies) just treated it as a preference. Today, if you prefer orange juice to grape juice, you don’t call yourself… Read more »
5 months 19 days ago
It’s a French novel titled Les Guerilleres. It’s full meaning in the way Wittig played with words is lost in translation to English since English is not a gendered language in the same sense French is. We have no masculine/feminine for the word “they.” Wittig features prominently in the most influential book about lesbian theory ever written, Judith Butler’s Gender Trouble. To say the “feminism” you see in SFF today is Butlerian is an understatement. And no, Penny is not talking about any recent construct. The theory is that heterosexuality was literally created by men at some unknown time in… Read more »
5 months 19 days ago
Wait, so how did humans reproduce before heterosexuality was invented ? By budding, like sea sponges ? To be fair, heterosexuality and masculinity are different things (though obviously related ones). Some aspects of what we consider “masculine”, such as a preference for the color blue vs. pink, are definitely socially constructed; feminists often claim that many other aspects, such as upper body strength and a preference for risk-taking are socially constructed as well. These claims are at least defensible — by which I mean not that they are true, but that they at least make some sort of sense. But… Read more »
TRX
TRX
5 months 18 days ago

The Queer Patriarchy had to assert its oppression of wymyn by rape, of course.

Dude, you’re falling behind in your Narrative… that was a free throw and you missed it!

Christopher M. Chupik
Christopher M. Chupik
5 months 18 days ago

“Wait, so how did humans reproduce before heterosexuality was invented?”

Your question is sexist and homophobic. 😉

SteveW
SteveW
5 months 18 days ago

Ever feel like we’re living in a mirror version of Tiptree’s SCREWFLY SOLUTION?

5 months 18 days ago

How about this for a Tiptree title: “The Breasts Women Don’t See, Except on Other Women.” There’s your “feminist” cult of anthropology lodged in our college systems which cries about “anti-science.”

5 months 18 days ago
Here’s some fun madness from the woman Hillary Clinton took with her to China when Bill was Prez: “The Lesbian threatens the ideology of male supremacy by destroying the lie about female inferiority, weakness, passivity, and by denying women’s ‘innate’ need for men. Lesbians literally do not need men (even for procreation if the science of cloning is developed).” “The first division of labor, in pre-history, was based on sex: men hunted, women built the villages, took care of children, and farmed. Women collectively controlled the land, language, culture, and the communities. Men were able to conquer women with the… Read more »
5 months 18 days ago

No legitimate excuse. Bill did it as a pay off to the feminists for ignoring his rape habit.

5 months 18 days ago
In fairness, some of the ‘women are for babies, boys are for fun’ ancient Greeks claimed to think that women weren’t actually that important for reproduction. Their Golden Age didn’t have any women or sexual reproduction, only men springing from the Earth. This seems absurd to us, but had some compatibility with one of their theories. See the birth of, I want to say, Hermeaphrodite. ‘Heterosexuality is a construct’ makes sense if the world is mystical and the past a fantasy setting. Of course, one could just as easily claim that women are aliens from Mu Musphae, and that they’ve… Read more »
5 months 18 days ago

Hey, don’t knock the “mono-gender colony” trope, it can be fun when it’s written well. John Varley made it work in his Titan trilogy (by using the classic feminist lesbians), and Lois McMaster Bujold was able to reverse the trope successfully in Ethan of Athos, just to name a few examples.

Of course, “when written well” is kind of the key feature here…

5 months 17 days ago
I actually liked the Titan trilogy. At least, enough to read it twice. He wrote it with such conviction and energy it’s hard not to get drawn into it. It was almost like he was writing “Okay, you guys landed on Ringworld and then you bored me,” which is how I kinda felt about Ringworld. There’s a lot of weird stuff in Titan but I never felt he was on a pedestal preaching to end the gender binary or what pricks straight white men are. Varley’s short story “Air Raid” is a classic. Didn’t like the novelization of it and… Read more »
Feather Blade
Feather Blade
5 months 16 days ago

See the birth of, I want to say, Hermeaphrodite.

IIRC Hermaphroditus was the son of Hermes and Aphrodite, and a perfectly normal godling before he fell into a cursed spring.

5 months 15 days ago

Might have been Hermes and Aphrodite. Version I recall is the guy wanted to have intercourse with the girl. He tried force, she resisted, and the seed ended up on her thigh. Disgusted, she wiped it off, and it fell to the ground, where it germinated into a baby boy.

IIRC, that is how the golden age worked. Minus the girl.

And thus, we now have Ranma 1/2

*RUNS AWAY!*

Also, Parthenogenesis.

Feather Blade
Feather Blade
5 months 16 days ago

I like that one, particularly since, at least according to rumour, it was constructed within living memory.

But really… to claim that heterosexuality was constructed… by gay men, in order to oppress women…. That takes the crazy cake.

5 months 13 days ago

Actually, stuff like gendered color preferences may derive from differences in how men and women see color, and the relative percentages with some degree of color blindness.

CR Williams
CR Williams
5 months 18 days ago

So this whole thing could be called…

(Yes, I dare to say it.)

…the Butlerian Jihad?

5 months 18 days ago

A computer that operated like a woman would HAVE to be destroyed. I mean, Y2K every 28 days?

Anonymous Coward
Anonymous Coward
5 months 18 days ago

The book was ‘Down the Road, Worlds Away’ by Toby Forward (writing under the pseudonym Rahila Khan). Not only was it assumed that this book was the authentic voice of a woman, but a Muslim immigrant of Pakistani origin living in the UK. It appears to be out of print, with rights still owned by Virago. Hilarious.

elwood p. dowd
elwood p. dowd
5 months 18 days ago
I read the first book and half the second in Baker’s series. Very solid world building, especially WRT the underlying mythology and use of magic, but there seemed to be some sort of rape every seventh page or so. I usually have a pretty strong stomach for stuff like that but I actually noped out of the series over the sexual content. Not only was it graphic, it was pointless to the plot, at least from where I’m sitting. Wouldn’t surprise me if they finally told him to tone it down and he refused. And as to advances, the first… Read more »
Rodrick Su
Rodrick Su

As of 02/11/15 12:47 PM PST
#135 Paid in Kindle Store (See Top 100 Paid in Kindle Store)
#1 in Books > Science Fiction & Fantasy > Science Fiction > Cyberpunk
#3 in Kindle Store > Kindle eBooks > Mystery, Thriller & Suspense > Thrillers > Technothrillers

Godel Fishbreath
Godel Fishbreath
5 months 19 days ago

There is a real world worry that things could go very wrong with the robot revolution.
See the other article as well.
I do not want to belittle the problems this writer faced, nor the stated bias faced. But there are much more scary reasons for a robot revolt.
And it is much more likely. We could all die as grey goo.
That chapter is likely not as informed as it could have been, but likely good for fiction.

Jens
Jens
5 months 19 days ago
After reading that first chapter and the reasoning behind it I was reminded of something that happened to me ages ago: a young woman who was attracted to me while still living with somebody else (which I learned from a mutual acquaintance after a few weeks) – if she was ready to ditch him for me that quickly, how long would it take her to ditch me for the next guy? Luckily that question never came up because I cooled off rather quickly after finding out she was in a relationship. In the original context I can see that the… Read more »
Feather Blade
Feather Blade
5 months 16 days ago

provided certain criteria are met (serious medical and/or psychological reasons, rape victim,…

How cruel do you have to be to kill a child for its parent’s wrongdoing?

There is nothing that says a woman should have to raise a child fathered on her through an act of violence, or if her own mental state would prohibit it, but there’s no reason to kill the kid.

Robin Munn
Robin Munn
5 months 15 days ago
Bingo, bingo, bingo. If a woman is raped and gets pregnant as a result, she should not have to pay a dime for her hospital bills for birth, or the adoption of the child if she chooses to give him/her up for adoption. (I believe the latter is already the case: the adoptive parents pay everything, and the parent(s) giving up the child for adoption don’t have to pay a dime. If it isn’t, it should be.) If the rapist is caught, paying for his victim’s hospital bills should be part of his punishment. If he isn’t, the state should… Read more »
Arathian
Arathian
5 months 19 days ago

I know this isn’t really the place, but I was reading monster hunter alpha and it occurred to me…. Larry did you base Harbinger off of Wolverine? They seem to have quite a bit in common,

5 months 18 days ago
As has been pointed out, an AI satirically taking things literally is baked into our genre. On the old Get Smart comedy TV spy show the robot Hymie would shoot a bare light bulb when asked to “kill the light.” We’ve gotten to the point where propaganda actually trumps genre elements themselves. What are rocket ships compared to “representation,” “diversity,” and “agency”? If you’re for gun control, maybe no Hymie shooting lights. SFF becomes toothless or even SFF-less. Mr. Spock’s logical observations become censored logic, which is the best logic of all. This new “progressive” movement has no interest in… Read more »
Chuck Wingo
Chuck Wingo
5 months 18 days ago
I just bought the book, but in doing so I was left with a question. The Amazon page gave me three options: buy the paperback, buy the Kindle version, or get the Kindle version free as part of Kindle Unlimited. I paid for the Kindle version, but it left me wondering how well authors are paid for books “checked out” through Kindle Unlimited. I heard from an occasionally reliable source that they’re actually better off financially if the book is checked out, but I’d like to know for sure. Does anybody know? I’m asking in part from sheer curiosity, but… Read more »
mark
mark

Looks like KU is better.

Look for comment by C.J. Carella about halfway down.

Brian McGoldrick
Brian McGoldrick
5 months 15 days ago

Amazon gives the per checkout payouts in the KDP newsletters iirc. I know I look at it periodically, and I think that is where I see it. Usually, the amount is somewhere in the low to mid $2 and change range per checkout. So it’s actually not bad.

trackback

[…] by Wombat-socho Readers of Instapundit and Larry Correia’s Monster Hunter Nation blog (which should be most of you, I would think) are already aware of Nick Cole’s very public […]

James Worrad
James Worrad
5 months 18 days ago
Well I’m a UK lefty and, if Cole’s story is the whole story, it leaves a bad taste in the mouth. No, it’s not censorship but what it is is a disregard for the intelligence of the common reader. There’s a coarsening of thought in SF now, one that exists in both left and right (The two probably feed one another). I don’t read to be told what I already believe. Occasionally I want to be genuinely outraged and offended. And, left/right aside, If this trend carries on the real victims will be transgressive authors. And, boy, do we need… Read more »
gmmay
gmmay
5 months 18 days ago

What examples could you provide of a coarsening of thought on the right? Before you provide that, perhaps you could explain what you think “the right” is.

5 months 18 days ago
It isn’t quite as simple as dismissing this as “both sides.” If I’m thinking of this purely in terms of principle – which is ironically when the “Spock’s Eyes” SF trope of the unemotional AI unimpressed with cultural markers comes into play – then in order to arrive at the equivalent of some provisional far Right lunatic fringe of supremacist bigots and anti-science religious cultists, I have only to come to the lunatic mainstream of supremacist bigots and anti-science religious cultists today lodged in the heart of SFF fandom. To whatever extent there is a fringe Right in SFF, it… Read more »
C.J. Carella
C.J. Carella
5 months 17 days ago
Yeah, the moral equivalency claim doesn’t hold water. The “far right” in SF includes a whole gamut of contradictory positions, from libertarianism to traditional conservatism to merely daring to think that maybe white males aren’t born with the Mark of the Devil stamped on their foreheads. And the “right” doesn’t routinely engage in internal purges a la Cultural Revolution, where ultra-liberal GRR Martin is lambasted for assorted sins, of Scalzi is belittled on Twitter for appropriating the word “feminist” when he should call himself an “ally” (that happened some years ago but the irony still amuses me to this day).… Read more »
5 months 17 days ago

Reading their Tweets is like reading a fucking 7 yr. old crying “Mommy, a white man scared me.”

60guilders
60guilders
5 months 17 days ago

“People disagree, often strongly, but nobody is cast out or attacked mercilessly for daring to break from the holy consensus.”

This, of course, is treated as evidence that we are terrible human beings for not being sufficiently determined to cast out certain people–to the point where not only is a failure to denounce taken as agreement, but a failure to denounce those who fail to denounce is taken as agreement.

5 months 17 days ago
Even stupider is to realize how much of this fight is based on the simple lie of purposefully pretending ad dollars and marketing is in fact the group hatreds typical of straight white men. Feminist rhetoric in SFF stinks of that. They have based their entire witchhunt about the history of SFF on lying about that and continue to do that today, routinely attaching the most menacing motivations to to the production of TV and films, children’s book and now even Oscar nominations. The irony there is if the Oscar voting bloc used the same pathetic hate speech as do… Read more »
Arathian
Arathian
5 months 14 days ago

That’s socialists for you. They don’t want to plow the land or sow the seeds but you will damn well see them when it comes time to take the harvest.

5 months 14 days ago
I was being somewhat sarcastic in using that lingo. I don’t really think of cultural expressions owned by men or women. But if feminists want to use that, let them see what it sounds like. Okay, we built this house and if you don’t like it, fuck off. I honestly can’t imagine a ten yr. old boy crying to his mommy because he doesn’t see himself as the hero in romance fiction and then attributing that to women hating men. How stupid do you have to be to believe culture works like that? But that is exactly what these mad… Read more »
5 months 13 days ago

Last stats I noticed claimed that there are about 3x as many nonwhite faces in advertisements and on TV as there are in the U.S., population at large. I don’t know how accurate the claim is, but it’s more or less what my own eyes tell me.

5 months 12 days ago
And now the always unreliable Foz Meadows is at Tor Com, a woman who already had an article at the HuffPo redone because of her shoddy where-there’s-white-men-there’s-fire research. In talking about movie adaptations of fantastic literature, she takes Terry Brooks to task for his too-white Shannara books. In her eagerness to screw yet another white man for his lack of vision of a “diverse” future America, she forgets to mention the books take place 2000 years after a nuke holocaust which blasts the very landscape itself into unrecognizability. She forgets Brooks started his book in 1967 when America was still… Read more »
IAmDevinThomas
IAmDevinThomas
5 months 18 days ago

So, after reading this I have a question for you Larry: I am about 5-10 man-hours from completing my full-length novel. I avoid long, extended rants; but I do take clear shots (no pun intended) at New York gun laws. I would like to get published, but I also don’t want to cower in fear of the powerful liberals punishing my WrongThink. Any advice for me or anyone else in this situation on what to do? Leave them in? Take them out? Don’t worry about it? Help is appreciated

snelson134
snelson134
5 months 17 days ago

Leave it in and publish indy.

IAmDevinThomas
IAmDevinThomas
5 months 17 days ago

I’ll do that if I have to, but I’d really like to get it published by a house. That seems to be a better way to GET PAID as the ILOH would say…

snelson134
snelson134
5 months 17 days ago

Based on their typical accounting practices, not necessarily. About the only exception is Baen.

C.J. Carella
C.J. Carella
5 months 17 days ago
Well, there’s no guarantees either way. But, unless you’re phenomenally lucky, it’s going to take years of playing Slush Pile Lotto (first finding an agent, and then the agent finding to buy the book) to get published by a traditional house, versus being able to release a book as soon as it is done (and by that I mean edited, proofread, getting a cover and so on – that’s the con to indy publishing, you have to do – or pay to do – a lot of things besides just writing the damn thing). But you can start earning money… Read more »
No One Important
No One Important
5 months 14 days ago

Explore the Mad Genius website for info on indie publishing from indie publishing authors.

B. Durbin
B. Durbin
5 months 15 days ago
There’s a third route, if you don’t want to go either big house or indy. That’s to look for a small publisher, especially one that focuses on a small subset of books (or does crossover genres). The downside is that you’ll still have to do a lot of work, including beforehand (to make sure it’s a viable small house) and during (because a lot of promotion will be on your shoulders.) The upside is that if you find a good match, the terms are usually much better than traditional publishing (I have a friend who is small press, so I’ve… Read more »
Richard McEnroe
Richard McEnroe
5 months 17 days ago

Who would win a fight between a movie cowboy and Herbert Marcuse? Go see “Hail, Caesar!” and find out! Mock a Commie for Mommy!

NJRob
NJRob

Mr. Correia,

Thanks for posting this. I read about Nick’s plight on another website a few days ago and then went to his site.

Seems like a reasonable guy and a passionate writer. That was enough for me to buy his indy books and get them sight unseen. Read the first few chapters and I’m enjoying it already.

I’m grateful that I was introduced to a new writer (for me) thanks to the fools at the big publishing warehouses (Baen exempted).

Zenu
Zenu
5 months 17 days ago

I don’t believe in the liberal publishing conspiracy bias as I don’t believe in most tinfoil biases. I believe in market bias. Sounds like the writer has an issue with this publisher. Nothing new here.

Spaulding
Spaulding
5 months 16 days ago
I have been reading some of the older novels in the The Destroyer series (for various reasons I have still not read any of the stuff written in the past decade, so I don’t know if that series have been suffering from the leftwing trend as well lately), and it’s like a breath of fresh air. Remo and Chiun are kicking to both left and right, and they are getting away with it. You don’t feel the straightjacket many modern novels have been strapped in. The same goes for much of the really old material. Skylark of Space for instance.… Read more »
Lawson
Lawson
5 months 16 days ago
Hello, Mr. Correia Found this blog awhile ago after I read one of your books and realized that not all scifi/fantasy needs to be the same regarding social issues and style. Anyway I have been thinking about writing, and I wonder if things have changed much in regards to getting published with the advent of Amazon Kindle and having the ability to just put your work on there. I recently discovered this option through Mr. Cole’s blog detailing his ‘experience’ with his former publisher. Is that a good option for people who are new to the writing world or should… Read more »
mousekt
mousekt
5 months 15 days ago
You may want to drop by madgeniusclub.com and see what they have to say about Amazon and indie publishing. They have a lot of practical advice about art and contracts and such. They don’t talk about copyright laws, but do some google searching. A lot of this stuff is out there, as in I found it with 30 min – 2 hours of googling and reading. As far as the Amazon publishing goes, I’ve found some good indie stuff. I’ve only found one bad book (that I couldn’t tell was bad from the cover/blurb/etc). My only regret is that it’s… Read more »
Mark
Mark
5 months 15 days ago

Also at madgeniusclub.com Cedar Sanderson has a couple of articles about what makes a good cover design.

trackback

[…] is of a plucky writer running afoul of an editor just because of a blatantly pro-life message in the opening chapter. Now, a lot of people commenting on this are just going by the sample chapter, unpacking it a […]

emdfl
emdfl
5 months 15 days ago

Zenu probably still thinks the moon is made of green cheese as well.
I was able to figure out the bias of the first newspaper(it was seriously lib[at least that’s what that skew was called back then]) I read when I was about 10.

Emily Nelson
Emily Nelson

c4c

5 months 15 days ago
I still don’t see where the problem is. The idea of an AI seeing abortion as a bureaucratic mass genocide which operates in precisely the opposite direction of nature’s imperative to reproduce and survive is exactly what SF does; it yanks us out of our cultural provincialism to provide a look back at ourselves which may seem stark and startling. It is not abortion itself which many people find distasteful but the degree to which it has been relegated to a ho-hum fast-food event which desensitizes us and robs us of our humanity. Given that, what in fact does it… Read more »
Spaulding
Spaulding
5 months 15 days ago
It is not necessarily about disagreeing, it is about the actions this leads to. Some people consider certain opinions and meanings as a license, or even duty, to show their most nasty side. In this case, to refuse publishing a book. Most of all, it is about the attitude. If you visit a board on imdb, and you happen to like or dislike a specific movie, there will be people with an opposite opinion. When I am attacked for no other reason than liking/disliking a movie, it is no longer about the movie, it’s about those attacking me, their attitude… Read more »
5 months 14 days ago
It is not possible to be confused about 1984. Orwell clearly sides with free speech, due process and equal protection. The “SJWs” of SFF despise open debate and comments sections. I on the other hand am eager to debate any or all of them, especially in a live setting. They do not support due process, as you can see from their creation and support of kangaroo courts at colleges and #JustListen hashtags. They deny equal protection, as you can see from their bizarre re-ordering of terms about racial bigotry, genderphobia and sexism so that only one ethic group of sex… Read more »
5 months 15 days ago

Bought it and End of the World As We Know It.

And, I took a screenshot of Alt Ctrl Revolt being currently number 1 in cyberpunk science fiction. Mr. Coles’s getting paid =)

5 months 14 days ago

The part about writers being the last guttering candle flame of civilization really got to me, and I ended up writing a little essay/post off of that.

Because I look at all the little signs, beyond just the SJW bullshit, and I can’t help but feel we’re seeing the beginning of the end.

CR Williams
CR Williams
5 months 14 days ago

I’m not sure it’s the beginning of the end. I feel more like the end has been underway for a while already. Not that I’m giving up hope, mind you. I am however occasionally working on options for establishing a city-state shortly following the collapse of the house of cards that is the Utopia of Inclusion so viciously and hatefully sought after by the useful idiots of the SJW world.

A boy named Sue Doe Nym
A boy named Sue Doe Nym
5 months 14 days ago
After many years I’m set to have my first book published this fall. In preparation I’ve spent months scrubbing my conservative beliefs off the net. I know I won’t survive a sustained investigation. But if i keep my head down it might pass inspection. Just going by their Facebook posts, my editor, publisher and agent are all feeling the bern right now. And atlas one was a big cheerleader for that attempted boycott of Orson Scott Card. There is a time to stand up for beliefs. This is not it. I wish Nick Cole luck. And hope someday to buy… Read more »
Phat
Phat
5 months 13 days ago

Larry,
Based solely on this post I bought Nick Cole’s book. It was a great gamer-geek book and hooked me into buying the ‘sequel’ (Cntl-Alt-Revolt is the pre-quel to Soda-Pop Soldier).

Pre-quel was .99. Sequel was 12 something. The entertainment of the first more than justified the purchase of the second. It all evens out.

The important part is that Mr. Cole would not have been PAID by my hard earned dollars until you mentioned him. Thank you for that!

Tierlieb
Tierlieb
5 months 10 days ago
All well said, except #2 does not exactly apply to Crtl+Alt+Revolt. It is an awesome, fast-paced story. Not the best, but midlist’ish: It has plot holes, an abandoned arc, a few flat characters and the author kinda sorta never thought about how to finish the overall story after doing a nice local climax. But besides that, it is cool, funny and very entertaining. But it is also heavy-handed message fiction: Not the first chaper we all got to read for free. I assume that was a red herring. And maybe not the collection of snide remarks, though I believe if… Read more »</