I’m not Vox Day

The Sad Puppies 3 campaign is a separate and different entity than the Rabid Puppies campaign.

I started Sad Puppies a few years ago. My goal was to demonstrate that the awards were biased, represented the likes of only one small part of fandom, and that authors with the wrong politics who got on the ballot would be attacked.  All of that has been demonstrated rather conclusively.

Brad Torgersen ran Sad Puppies 3, and I was one of the people who helped. The mission changed, and Brad’s main goal was to get deserving, worthy authors who would normally be ignored onto the ballot, regardless of their politics.

Vox Day ran a separate campaign called Rabid Puppies.

I believe that RP started with most of existing SP3 suggested slate, and then added more works that they liked. But I can’t speak for them.

Vox Day himself was not on the SP3 slate.

I believe 3 short fiction works from his publishing house were on our suggested slate. They were on our suggested slate because we thought they were very good.

Vox Day was on a prior SP suggestion slate, because I liked his novelette that year, and the SP2 slate was pretty much just my personal suggestions.

The Sad Puppies campaign doesn’t endorse anybody’s politics. Our slate had people from everything, left, right, middle, and question mark. We only cared if the works were good.

I personally do not agree with Vox on a wide variety of topics.

I do not speak for him.

I do not control him.

He does what he wants.

We have argued about this topic. You know the situation has gotten weird when I’m the voice of moderation.

I cannot disown what I do not own.

I neither condone nor defend any of his public statements. I did not make them.

Of course I do not like some of the things he has said.

Do you think the existence of Rabid Puppies has somehow made my life easier?

I’m not going to burn anyone in effigy. Stop asking.

I’m not going to condemn anyone by association. Stop asking.

When two assholes collide, I shouldn’t have to take a side, declare one a sainted victim, and the other the devil aggressor. Stop asking me to.

I’ve said all of the above before.

My personal politics are on record. I have been involved in politics. I’ve written about my personal beliefs a lot. I am very opinionated. Those are my personal beliefs. I stand by them. Since this has started reporters have combed through everything I’ve ever written, trying to find something sexist, racist, or homophobic to use against me, and they haven’t found anything. Why? Because they aren’t there. Because I’m not.

I recommended someone’s short story. You do not like his belief. I can defend my liking his short story, but I cannot, and should not have to account for the author’s personal beliefs. A giant group of other authors, who are also not affiliated with him, should not be assigned his beliefs and be attacked for them.

However, I can believe that all authors have the right to free speech. That includes people who say stuff I don’t like or agree with. I have a giant list of authors I disagree with. I have done so, loudly, and often. We should all be free to disagree without the danger of purges, defamation, and career sabotage. As far as I am aware, Vox Day hasn’t ever called for censorship or tried to ruin any author’s career. I cannot however, say that same thing for others.

Authors should not be attacked for the crime of being recommended by someone you don’t like. That is asinine. The only questions should be, is the work good? Is the work award worthy? Yes? Good. Then quit yelling at them. I was told by one of his supporters yesterday that Vox is also a fan of Umberto Eco and China Mieville. Better break out the torches and pitchforks!

I cannot explain his quotes or his public statements because I did not formulate them, do not hold them myself, and I did not write them. Unlike my critics, I do not claim to read minds.

I cannot purge him. First, I don’t believe in purges. Second, I believe in free speech, warts and all. And third, since he isn’t part of my campaign, I’ve got nothing to purge him from.

Let me clarify something. When I say something to the effect about how it would be awful nice to see normal people on the other side condemn the outlandish, racist, stupid, hateful, threatening things that hundreds on their side have said, I don’t actually expect them to. They don’t own other people’s comments either. Normally when I bring that up, it is out of frustration, because I’m expected to ritually shun someone who is nominally on my side of the debate for saying mean things, while all those on the other side saying things just as bad or worse, are given a pass. That is hypocritical.

For the one loudmouth I’m being demanded to account for, just among the award winning and nominated folks on the other side you’ve got NAMBLA supporters, psychopathic trolls, and a whole mess of racists… But Brad and I are the ones who need to anoint ourselves with ash and perform the ritual of shame? No. Buzz off.

SP3 has been accused of trying to sweep the nominations. First, we didn’t have 5 in most of the categories, and when we did, it was because we had a ton of good suggestions and honestly thought all of them were awesome. Second, we did not expect to do as good as we did. Our showing was a surprise. Some of the categories were not swept by SP, but rather a combination of SP and RP noms, and SP had no control over that. Note, that isn’t an apology. That is a clarification. They are fans too, they spent their $40 like everyone else, and they voted for what they wanted.

And believe me, if I was surprised by how many fans SP brought, I was really surprised by what RP pulled off.

John C. Wright is also not Vox Day. Sad Puppies did not get him a record number of nominations. I believe we had him for 3 items in novella, short, and related work, and all of them were excellent. Wright picked up more nominations beyond that, which again, my campaign had no control over. He is now tied for most in one year. However, Wright is an excellent author, who has been around about as long as Charles Stross, but he is normally ignored at awards time. So rather than bitch and moan about him getting several noms, why don’t you actually read the works to see how good they are and vote honestly?

My motivation was not to replace one biased clique with a new biased clique, but rather to get an award that everyone—up until two weeks ago—claimed represented all of fandom, to represent more of fandom. I suppose the one way that I do have to accept responsibility for Vox Day is that I’m the one who demonstrated to all the outsiders just how little and cliquish the system actually was.

So in conclusion, we are not Vox Day. Quit trying to make us the same. Vox Day is Vox Day. If you have any problems with him, take it up with him.

Catching up, then back to work
Well, this sucks.

833 Comments on "I’m not Vox Day"

T.L. Knighton
1 year 7 months ago

It’s absolutely pathetic that you felt like you had to say something like this, Larry. Absolutely pathetic.

There’s no way any of us should have to announce that we’re not Vox Day. Especially considering all the digital ink spilled saying so previously. You shouldn’t have had to do it again.

And what’s really pathetic? This whole post won’t accomplish a damn thing, because they’ll still equate you and Brad with Vox.

MP
MP
1 year 7 months ago

Wuck? You want to clarify “pathetic?” It’s certainly sad that SJWs are pulling the Alinsky tactics and Larry has to remind them about basic logic.

1 year 7 months ago

The left cannot tolerate logic. No matter how much you remind them it exists, they will continue to ignore it.

1 year 7 months ago

The one I like best is when they make some wild assertion, then crow, “Prove I’m wrong!” I always say, “You don’t get how debate works, do you? You made the assertion, I challenged it, the onus is on YOU to prove what you said, not on me to refute it. Till you do, what you said must be assumed to be untrue.”

New Class Traitor
1 year 7 months ago

B…b…but logic is a racist, sexist, homophobic tool of the cisgendered patriarchy. We do not need bourgeois truth! We need revolutionary truth!

/SJW*nker mode off

Duke of URL
Duke of URL
1 year 7 months ago

You’ve been listening to Elizabeth Warren again, haven’t you?

RedJack
RedJack
1 year 7 months ago

Logic will not work. It is viewed as hatred and evil (note, there is no sarcasm).

The fact do not matter to them, only the hate does. They hate Larry, and most of us, because we don’t hate as they do.

Murphy7
Murphy7
1 year 7 months ago

While I am saddened that anyone would perceive a need to make this differentiation, but I find myself often saddened by the state of humanity at times.

On the other hand, I find new reasons to love Larry’s writing in each of these blog posts. I really love this analogy: “Look at it like this. I’m Churchill. Brad is FDR. We wound up on the same side as Stalin.”

Well said.

Reziac
1 year 7 months ago

That is a good one. (Now waiting to see how it gets misconstrued by the other side…)

Larry says, “Vox Day is Vox Day. If you have any problems with him, take it up with him.”

But they won’t. How many of VD’s detractors have actually argued their points with VD himself? Time and again I hear (paraphrased) “I don’t feel safe going to VD’s site.” So the answer is not very many, because it’s so much safer to fling poo at an effigy (where in this case, Larry is doing duty as the effigy).

1 year 7 months ago

They tried that. Vox is a racist, but he’s not a stupid racist.

Every time they go their to howl at him, he hands them their heads.

1 year 7 months ago

There, not their … bloody hell ….

Joe in PNG
Joe in PNG
1 year 7 months ago

This is the sort of thing he loves. A bit like how Hunter Thompson would have reacted to a major, 1 hour prime time Nixon speech denouncing the Rolling Stone*.

*for you lefties out there.

JustAGuyOnTheWeb
JustAGuyOnTheWeb
1 year 7 months ago

You used their correctly..

1 year 7 months ago

I used “their” twice. The first usage was incorrect.

Lee
Lee
1 year 4 months ago

Every racist is a stupid racist. Believing in race, a concept that was made up for financial gain, when science has proven there is no basis for racial differentiation, is the mark of a simple mind.

Lotharloo
Lotharloo
1 year 7 months ago
I’ve read Vox’s irrational atheist as well as a few other ridiculous posts by him. He is well-past the point where one could be reasonably engaged with. Or to put it differently, there are more useful things to do in life than to argue with (broken) wind. Arguing with Vox reminds of the many pointless discussions I had with 9/11 truthers. They also certainly “knew a lot” and could at every chance pull another obscure random fact or connection. Same is true here. Pick any claim by Vox, the evidence he uses to back it is only superficially related and… Read more »
Darius
Darius
1 year 7 months ago

Hmmm… “disqualify”, “attack” and bordering on “make sh*t up”

Well, coming from someone who can’t use a common standard of racism for speech independent of the speaker, I don’t expect you to follow deeper logic in arguments either

Synova
1 year 7 months ago

Hey, weren’t you in the previous thread demanding that people disavow Vox because he (like the Democrats do) figure that women pretty much only vote with their vaginas?

Stephen St. Onge
Stephen St. Onge
1 year 7 months ago

People don’t feel safe GOING TO A WEBSITE?

Will evil spirits haunt them, or will the Abominable Dr. Day leap directly out of the monitor to kill them?

Patrick Chester
Patrick Chester
1 year 7 months ago

It is 2015, shouldn’t the Cyberpunk stuff be coming out? Cyberlimbs, cyberdecks, black ice…

Brian Niemeier

Hee hee. Nice Reference!

Patrick Chester
Patrick Chester

@Brian
The Firestarter program would set the unfortunate user on fire, though it would be most effective if the user was using a neural interface.

Leit
1 year 7 months ago

Will destroy shadowy conspiracies 4 Adam Jensen augments…

Watch for Operation Screaming Fist, coming soon to blogs near you.

Radioactive
Radioactive
1 year 7 months ago

Not my circus, not my monkeys

JaimeInTexas
JaimeInTexas
1 year 7 months ago

I get metaphor but I suspect that many will go, “mmm so true, Vox is a Sallin” You go Larry, call it how you see it.
Maybe you should use the language that the Hugo gate keepers willl understand better:

You are Augusto Pinochet, Brad is King Salman bin Abdulaziz Al Saud

Doug Northcote
Doug Northcote
1 year 7 months ago

Was having a drink of tea at the moment I read that. I literally had to wipe my face after laughing back into my mug.

Well played Correia! (Great metaphor!)

pmm
pmm
1 year 7 months ago

It isn’t that simple. SP and RP have very similar logos, shared some of the same nominations, and had been mentioned here as the “even more eevul” slate with a couple of recommendations from the RP list. It was NOT OBVIOUS to an outsider that the lists were unrelated without disclaimers of this sort.

Yes I understand that NOW. But it was very hard to know that when the Hugo nominations came out. I suspect this is what happened to EW too.

Crabtree
Crabtree
1 year 7 months ago

Assuming EW means Entertainment Weekly then it probably would have helped if they had bothered to talk to someone… anyone… on this side of the issue before going to print.

New Class Traitor
1 year 7 months ago

From personal experience in completely unrelated matters, I know many “journalists” are so intellectually lazy that they will basically republish a press release almost verbatim if it looks like it fits their preconceptions.

Sir Wulf
Sir Wulf
1 year 7 months ago
Over 80% of the articles we see in newspapers or posted on websites have their origins in someone’s press release. The people who generate these press releases are never dispassionate observers: They inevitably have some skin in the game”. Adding to the problem, many journalists walk into a situation with their minds already made up. They learn of an issue that will arouse the passions of their readers, then build their article around the information they already have. They’re only interested in including contradictory information when it lets them present the illusion that they are dealing fairly with the issue.… Read more »
Slime
Slime
1 year 7 months ago

“They would have needed to do research on the story before accurately representing it, so therefore it’s understandable that they did not do the research on the story before accurately representing it.”

Slime
Slime
1 year 7 months ago

* minus the second “accurately”

1 year 7 months ago

My kingdom for an edit function.

Jamie
Jamie
1 year 7 months ago
You may excuse yourself if you like, but there is no excuse whatsoever for EW. They were lazy and biased. Period. Journalism 101: You talk to BOTH sides. That means, if there are two groups, you talk to two groups. If there are three groups, you talk to three groups. The number of people you talk to scales up with the number of groups in the story. This so “duh” that a high school reporter can master it. Middle school, even. What you do not do–and this is so bloody obvious–is take one person’s side and run with it. Reporters… Read more »
Reziac
1 year 7 months ago

Journalism today isn’t about accuracy. It’s about collecting as many eyeballs as possible to sell to advertisers. Cuz for journalists, YOU are the product.

Outrage works much better than truth as a means of gluing eyeballs to the screen. Therefore journalism today looks for outrage first and foremost, and for truth only incidentally, or if truth will provoke further outrage.

Stephen St. Onge
Stephen St. Onge
1 year 7 months ago

Are you claiming that Vox Day suggested only voting for straight white guys, as suggested in the EW story? If so, a citation would be nice.

Deb
Deb
1 year 7 months ago
Throwing a voice of (what I perceive to be) sanity into all this mess here: Instead of creating Sad Puppies, why didn’t you just create a positive campaign to make more scifi readers aware of all the different flavors of scifi out there, encourage ALL of them to nominate their favorites, and let democratic process decide the nominations? Instead, we have what has devolved into silly name-calling, and a total clusterf*ck for the Hugo Awards. Yeah, in recent years I’ve personally found the nominated works, especially the Novel and Novellas, to be kind of boring. So? Those are the people… Read more »
htom
htom
1 year 7 months ago

OK, then, “You’re wrong.” That’s what Brad did. It was called SP3. Others trashed it, and you come along and appear to think that what they did was what Brad wanted. Ah well, life is like that.

Stephen St. Onge
Stephen St. Onge
1 year 7 months ago

You didn’t bother to read what Larry said about Sad Puppies and why he did what he did.

Consider yourself gonged. Exit’s to the left.

Synova
1 year 7 months ago
“Now we have the Puppies camp, claiming that everyone who isn’t agreeing with you are SJW or liberal or what have you.” Excuse me? I can’t imagine anyone having said that simply disagreeing with Sad Puppies makes someone an SJW. An SJW has a rather specific definition (mine is… “must have an enemy”… on account of status is gained by public battle against that enemy.) Liberal? There were liberals on Brad’s list and self-identified liberals comment here and are welcomed. A whole heck of a lot is made of the virtue of NOT having a political litmus test as a… Read more »
NC
NC
1 year 7 months ago
To be fair on the liberal front — I keep combing through comments on this post using ‘leftist’ and ‘liberal’ as an insult and ‘how the left cannot tolerate logic’. Why is that necessary? It’s made me, someone trying to understand the movement, balk considering just as you said — Larry seemed clear in his inclusiveness. But so many on the replies on this post seem very much not interested in ‘welcoming’ those ideologies. Hence I think the comments about the ‘Puppies’ camp. But, back I go to see if I can sort the informative comments from those just bashing… Read more »
James May
1 year 7 months ago
Well, for what it’s worth, I don’t see this as a liberal problem per se. To me, SJWs are a coalition of extremely naive liberals with a certain almost hysterical crusader mindset driven by a cult of mentally unhinged female-worship and paranoid anti-white racism that self-identifies using the term “intersectional feminism.” I’d say roughly 2/3 of the whole are bigots and the rest do-gooders. It’s a really weird phenomenon, a perfect storm of creepiness. If I were to point to the two biggest culprits I’d say it’s gender studies classes and prescription medications. These people are not exactly shy about… Read more »
Taarkoth
Taarkoth
1 year 7 months ago

Oh look, yet another concern troll whining about how it Messrs. Correia’s and Torgerson’s fault that the Flaming Douchnozzles of Tolerance are acting like sociopaths.

Shawna
Shawna
1 year 7 months ago
“Instead of creating Sad Puppies, why didn’t you just create a positive campaign to make more scifi readers aware of all the different flavors of scifi out there, encourage ALL of them to nominate their favorites, and let democratic process decide the nominations?” That’s actually what I understood SP to be. I wasn’t really aware of the Hugos previously (vaguely, but they weren’t really on my radar), and I didn’t know that it was something I could join in on. SP made me aware of that and encouraged me to participate. So that’s what I did. I think I nominated… Read more »
JaimeInTexas
JaimeInTexas
1 year 7 months ago

please delete my ptevious post. it went incomplete. please accept my apology for carelessness.

Jordan S. Bassior
1 year 7 months ago

I’m personally astonished by how easy it was to massively change the nominations, which in turn shows just how small a pool was voting for the Hugos. And the angry desperation with which this is being met by those who are members of the previous in-group demonstrates that they lack much in the way of support out of their own tiny faction.

Jlawson
1 year 7 months ago

As the saying used to go in the Society for Creative Anacronism, the politicking and infighting was so fierce because the stakes were so small.

In this case, you’re seeing egos who are used to ‘controlling’ who gets the Hugos finding they don’t have the power they used to have. And authors who have been GOHs on the Con circuit for ages seeing their potential GOH slots threatened.

This is unacceptable, so regretfully the Sad Puppies Must Die so They can continue being the apex of Fandom.

1 year 7 months ago

SJWs are like all leftists: they are Satanists in the Miltonian sense.

They would rather rule in hell than serve in heaven.

The Hugos and WorldCon is the proof of this. They’d rather burn the award down to keep it to themselves than share it with the broader fandom.

1 year 7 months ago

You know, at this point burning the award down doesn’t sound like such a bad thing.

1 year 7 months ago
I know but… I am voter for the first time even though I started reading SFF when I started reading circa 1970. I thought I had to go to WorldCon to vote until last year but only did SP this year. I didn’t have what I considered a broad enough reading to honestly nominate and the book I very much wanted to nominate wasn’t eligible after all. So I didn’t nom but I’ve been looking forward to my packet and reading as hard and fast as I could to be able to vote. The physical award is a thing of… Read more »
1 year 7 months ago
SP did need to happen 10-20 years ago, actually. Too bad nobody was around who 1) put two and two together again to see that it was actually doable, and 2) cared to do so. I’m afraid that since SP didn’t happen 10-20 years ago, we’re at the point where RP is the only solution that has any hope of saving the Hugos at all, in the same sense that the Reconquista saved Hispania by (eventually) turning into Spain instead of al-Andalus. Not only that, #GamerGate and the Puppies are more important than people think; because they are the first… Read more »
1 year 7 months ago

because they are the first green shoots of the tipping point, where liberalism is being shown to the greater, wider world, even beyond gamers and scifi fans, to be absurd, totalitarian, intellectually and morally bankrupt, and populated by childish, mentally ill, rabbity bullies and petty tyrants who are, nonetheless, paper tigers who are relatively easily defeated once one finally wakes up and realizes the need to do so.

Does that make SP, #GamerGate, and the D&D fans who fought a similar purge last summer the early settlers who are taking the arrows?

1 year 7 months ago

Dangit! I missed the D&D drama! What happened there?

M. L. Martin
M. L. Martin
1 year 7 months ago

Herb–Perhaps I missed something, but the D&D drama last summer felt like a combination of other issues and the Revolution starting to eat its children. The two ‘gentlemen’ that the SJWs went after despise social conservatives as much as the SJWs do.

Matthew
Matthew
1 year 7 months ago

Is there a good writeup of the D&D drama? I seem to have missed it.

1 year 7 months ago

OK; looked up the D&D drama. I’m not sure if that’s really the same thing at all. That’s SJWs eating their own, and nobody taking a really principled stand over the imbecility of a witch-hunt of fellow SJWs who may possibly have made some “trans-gender” gamer feel bad once. Or who might do so in the future, at least.

Although any non-SJWs watching might have had their eyes opened, it still seems more likely that they’re still concerned that secretly they may be “transphobists” or the victims of some equally stupid made-up malady.

1 year 7 months ago
I do consider the D&D drama the same thing as Zak, especially, has stood up for the idea that if you’re talking about D&D all that matters is you’re making useful D&D stuff. Zak openly has no political use for social conservatives yet he publishes under one of the most politically incorrect imprints, Lamentations of the Flame Princess, that is deeply stepped in heavy metal culture. LotFP is also routinely accused of violence against women due to its art choices and themes. Zak’s real sin that started it all was when rape accusations were repeated without investigation about a designer… Read more »
1 year 7 months ago
Sorry; I meant it’s not the same thing in that I don’t see anyone making a principled stand against it and attracting supporters who are openly claiming to have seen behind the curtain because of it, as has happened with GamerGate and the Puppies. The discussion isn’t around whether or not witch-hunters against “transphobists” is appropriate in the first place, it’s about whether or not those two actually ARE transphobists. The Narrative™ seems to remain entirely intact; it’s not even an attack on The Narrative™, rather it seems to be just political infighting between one group who dislikes a couple… Read more »
1 year 7 months ago
Joshua, had to think a bit about your comment and why I couldn’t agree. I think the issue is The Narrative. It is possible to be a leftist, that is believe a certain social organization is desirable, and not be wedded to the The Narrative. Zak S. is a leftist but he is not committed to The Narrative. The fact that he earned their ire over a year earlier and that the fight was payback shows it. He say, “Don’t repeat rape accusations without proof” when The Narrative is “all rape accusations are true”. When they were found not to… Read more »
Jlawson
1 year 7 months ago

And THIS is what they’re pushing out of the running in all their ‘tolerance’ and ‘diversity’.

That’s good stuff – well worthy of Analog 20 years ago.

(Darn. I’ve reached OldeFartDom… 🙁 )

Douglas B. Killings
Douglas B. Killings
1 year 7 months ago

> I’m personally astonished by how easy it was to
> massively change the nominations

I also think it was a sign of a lot of deep-felt frustration with the Hugo nominations these last few years.

rocinante2
rocinante2

Four words:

Redshirts, “Best Novel”, 2013.

rocinante2
rocinante2
1 year 7 months ago

PS – That’s when *I* knew the Hugos were “broken”.

AngorMike
AngorMike
1 year 7 months ago

First rule of a vote fight, bring your vote.
Second rule of a vote fight, bring friends with votes.

The Captain
The Captain
1 year 7 months ago

Well said. Just sorry you have to keep saying it…

Keep writing those dynamite fun books and know that you’ve got a huge fan base that know what you’re saying, agree and agree with it.

NEXT YEAR I’m getting a membership, when the packet comes I’ll have someone black out the names of the authors so I have no idea what I’m reading and vote the Best Stories.

Best regards,

The Captain

Salt
Salt
1 year 7 months ago

“I have repeated this stuff dozens of times, but apparently I need to repeat it again.”

You’ll have to do it till the cats come home.

“Before some audiences not even the possession of the exactest knowledge will make it easy for what we say to produce conviction. For argument based on knowledge implies instruction, and there are people whom one cannot instruct.” Aristotle

J
J

#JeNeSuisPasVoxDay 🙂

1 year 7 months ago

But Larry, if you’re REALLY not VD, why haven’t we ever seen you in the same room together? (And of course, if we did that would mean that you have identical beliefs and support each other in all things…)

Do I really have to say “sarcasm?”

Richard McEnroe
1 year 7 months ago

“Gosh Miss Lane. isn’t it funny how you never see Larry Correia and Vox Day togeth–” *THUD*

“Oh, Jimmy….”

Brad R. Torgersen
1 year 7 months ago
Alas, because the opponents of SP3 use the Alinsky Playbook, this is what it’s comes down to. They’re running with the narrative of LARRY = BRAD = VOX. Which to anyone with a brain is wrong, but then, the people who are hating on us right now have proven they don’t have brains. Larry’s statement is for the middle. The people who haven’t dropped their nickels into one jar, or the other, just yet. I like Larry’s statement a lot. I think it says just about everything I could possibly say. Thank you, Larry!
Paul
Paul
1 year 7 months ago
Larry’s Big Three analogy shows you both to be completely out of touch with reality and with no perspective. First read Vox Day in context http://wehuntedthemammoth.com/2015/04/13/vox-day-says-his-totally-not-racist-comments-have-been-taken-out-of-context-in-context-theyre-even-worse/ You wonder “Why Oh Why are people associating me with him”. Then a few paragraphs later you acknowledge you are willingly and happily allied with him. Gee…. wonder why people are associating you with him. The thing is that when you do that, you send a message that you think you are uniting with VD (an appropriate abbreviation considering the context) to face a greater evil (ala FDR/Churchill with Stalin). You seem to believe… Read more »
Dan
Dan
1 year 7 months ago
“The thing is that when you do that, you send a message that you think you are uniting with VD (an appropriate abbreviation considering the context) to face a greater evil (ala FDR/Churchill with Stalin). You seem to believe that the a clique of SciFi writers is a greater evil than the hate and bile which is Vox Day. You lack perspective. ” Christians and Jews are being genocided across the Muslim World. Western Civilization is in sharp decline. Vox merely has the nerve to say something and he is the monster? The actual genociders are enabled by the cover… Read more »
Dan
Dan
1 year 7 months ago

It should be pointed out (since it is unfortunately not obvious) that the kinds of freedoms SciFi writers enjoy only exit in Western Civilization and nowhere else.

1 year 7 months ago

I wonder why you are willing to so openly associate yourself with David Futrelle, an openly bigoted man-hater?

rocinante2
rocinante2
1 year 7 months ago

Um, yeah, linking to Dave Futrelle is not going to buy you a lot of credibility around here.

Keith Glass
1 year 7 months ago

I’m waiting for the next revision to the Narrative here.

I’m betting on “Vox Day is a sock puppet controlled by Correia via the Orbital Mind Control Lasers”.

Because you’re OBVIOUSLY a 1%er attached to the Military-Industrial Complex. . . . (evil grin)

Christopher M. Chupik
Christopher M. Chupik
1 year 7 months ago

No, no, get your facts straight. It’s Larry who is under the control of Vox’s mind-control lasers on behalf of the GamerGate/Reptilian/Rotarian axis.

Matthew
Matthew
1 year 7 months ago

The “GamerGate/Reptilian/Rotarian” axis, eh? What’s the PUFF one one of those (waiting for the MHI story where it turns out the British Royal Family really *is* composed of reptilian aliens like the ones in V)

John VI
John VI
1 year 7 months ago

Doctor who writers already turned the royal family into werewolves….. Its really more a fun question of how they stay PUFF exempt.

John VI
John VI
1 year 7 months ago

Actually, its a fun mental experiment to wonder how ANY politician stays PUFF exempt…

live the dream
live the dream
1 year 7 months ago

“GamerGate/Reptilian/Rotarian military axis G.R.R.M for short.

Wait it shows who was behind this the whole time.

palaeomerus
1 year 7 months ago

I don’t know FNORD what you are referring to.

Keith Glass
1 year 7 months ago

Quiet! We’re trying to immanentize the Eschaton here !!

Radioactive
Radioactive

he is after all the Galactic Lord of Evil…note promotion

James May
1 year 7 months ago

Why isn’t John Scalzi writing a post called “I’m not N. K. Jemisin”?

#DitchYourRacists

1 year 7 months ago

Because maybe he is! And K. Tempest Bradford too!

The Phantom
1 year 7 months ago

Because only Right Wingers have guilt by association. Left Wingers simply denounce and move on.

And besides, N.K. Jemwhatsit has been “rehabilitated” back into the GoodThink fold. Poor strayed lamb, you meanies leave her/him/it alone!

Meanies!!!

Wes S.
Wes S.
1 year 7 months ago

Was Jemisin ever *out* of the fold?

Hell, they even welcomed back Requires Hate with open arms.

NKR
NKR
1 year 7 months ago
They have their narrative and they’re going to stick to it, Larry. They’re still saying SP is all about you wanting a Hugo when you turned down your nomination this year (for an outstanding and worthy book, I might add) and have stated unequivocally that you will never accept another nomination in the future. Yet they persist with their narrative. It’s why their trolls are so witless. They’re more easily roused and sent in a direction but they don’t do well with conflicting information so they ignore all but the narrative of their masters. Thralls, the lot of them. Please… Read more »
Reziac
1 year 7 months ago

Here’s something interesting from an editor at Tor-UK:

I pointed this out to someone who was crying “sexism in publishing” and even with hard numbers staring her in the face it was still “well, we’re not being given a chance” (and regoaled to “sexism in reviewing”).

Glah! What Aristotle said.

Synova
1 year 7 months ago
I like how she starts out explaining that she’s worried about getting attacked for speaking her mind and having an opinion. And we were supposedly making that up. Other than that… this difference in submission rates has been known/suspected not-a-secret for a long time. As in… everyone KNOWS that women tend to take on the “editor” role and reject their own work and so never actually send it out. (I got chewed out once for this “pre-rejection” usurpation of someone else’s job.) The result is that the acceptance rates tend to be higher for women than men coming out of… Read more »
Reziac
1 year 7 months ago
Those are pretty durn good insights, and very much my personal observations as well, across a number of species. The root is basic biology. Once the male has reproduced nature doesn’t care if he gets himself killed — so there’s no selection pressure against just up and doing whatever idiocy comes into his head. But the female needs to live long enough to raise the next generation, so selection pressure has been more toward females that think everything through before they act. Add the human social pressure to perform, and worst case, in guys you get the famous last words… Read more »
Emily Nelson
1 year 7 months ago

So my performance anxiety is a survival trait and not a character flaw?

James May
1 year 7 months ago
And now imagine it’s 1912 and Burroughs’ first story is published. The country of 90 million is 90% white, 90% of black folks are still living in the old South and somehow these daffy gender feminists think black folks and women are being turned out of SFF, which only had two or three magazines semi-regularly publishing SFF stories. There were plenty of magazines for women. It’s not exactly anyone’s fault women mostly didn’t buy SFF magazines. Now fast forward to 1923 and 26. Weird Tales and Amazing Stories start – 2 full-time genre magazines now, and they barely survived, and… Read more »
Matthew Bowman
1 year 7 months ago

I saw someone on another blog (it was boring, didn’t bookmark it for notes) insisting that okay, so Larry Correia is right, Vox isn’t on Sad Puppies. BUT, she insisted, LARRY CORREIA HAS NOT SAID THAT VOX WASN’T INVOLVED IN THE PLANNING PROCESS! Proof of guilt!

Yep. Logic. It’s useful for more than making Vulcans seem weird.

Jordan S. Bassior
1 year 7 months ago

Larry also didn’t say that he’s not a humaniform robot remote-controlled by Vox. And even if he did say it, it wouldn’t mean anything — he might just be a humaniform robot controlled by Vox, after all! :O

Zsuzsa
Zsuzsa
1 year 7 months ago

I’m pretty sure Larry Correia has also never said that he isn’t planning a ritual sacrifice of 17 rabbits to Sasquatch for every Sad Puppy nominee that gets the Hugo. Therefore, we must infer that he is, and vote “No Award” to save the bunnies!

keranih
keranih

I heard it was goats.

SusanM.
SusanM.
1 year 7 months ago

I heard it was fluffy kittens.

1 year 7 months ago

Mmmm, fluffy kittens–the tastiest kind of kittens…

Reziac
1 year 7 months ago

Ewoks. If only he’d sacrificed ewoks, everyone would be in agreement.

SDN
SDN
1 year 7 months ago

But if you sacrificed Ewoks Ace of Spades would be upset.

Grayson
Grayson
1 year 7 months ago

What’s the PUFF bounty on Ewoks, anyway?

Douglas B. Killings
Douglas B. Killings
1 year 7 months ago

But I have it on good authority that Bunnies aren’t just cute like everybody supposes. After all, they’ve got them hoppy legs and twitchy little noses. And what’s with all the carrots? What do they need such good eyesight for anyway?

Lea
Lea

ISWYDT.

And since shortness isn’t allowed I’ll finish..

Bunnies! Bunnies it must be bunnies.

Justin Watson
Justin Watson

Or maybe midgets.

greyratt
greyratt
1 year 7 months ago

WAIT… you sacrifice the rabbits (goats, chickens, bunnies, fluffy kittens, etc.) BEFORE the vote to win the hugo. not afterwards. that is a celebration not a sacrifice.

Achillea
Achillea
1 year 7 months ago

And remember you’re not allowed to burn them! small animals /= burning!

1 year 7 months ago

( hides the Flamenwerfer )

Joe in PNG
Joe in PNG
1 year 7 months ago

If you’re burning small animals, then you’re doing barbecue wrong.

Jim Gorcz
Jim Gorcz
1 year 7 months ago

Sacrificing rabbits to Sasquatch? Oh geez, River Shoulders is going to be pissed. His people have enough stigmas already.

Rob Spalding
Rob Spalding
1 year 7 months ago

Was that the blog that went:
Vox is part of the Evil League of Evil, he even has a title.
The Puppies said the Evil League of Evil planned SP3.
They did not say that Vox was not part of the planning.
Therefore Vox was obviously part if the planning.
?

The logic there is flimsy at best.

Achillea
Achillea
1 year 7 months ago

Aaaaand we’re back with not playing in traffic or setting small animals on fire.

Wes S.
Wes S.
1 year 7 months ago

Should I go ahead and put CM on standby…?

Emily Nelson

Wes you wrote:
“Should I go ahead and put CM on standby…?”

What is CM?

Achillea
Achillea
1 year 7 months ago

Check out the comment thread here. Warning: be sure you’re somewhere you can laugh hysterically without anyone calling the guys from the local asylum.

SirShadesDrake
SirShadesDrake
1 year 7 months ago

Achillea linked a recent incarnation. The original is here:

Could possibly be the greatest thread hijacking of all time, and explains why most citizens of Monster Hunter Nation respect / fear a Muppet ; )

sSD

Wes S.
Wes S.
1 year 7 months ago

Achillea, Drake, thanks for finding the links for me. I didn’t have time to respond to Emily last night, alas…

1 year 7 months ago

I now have a new appreciation of the cookie monster.

And here is furry operator singing with Rammstein:

Matthew
Matthew
1 year 7 months ago

Damn, isn’t that going a bit overboard? That dude is *crazy*!

SSumner
SSumner
1 year 7 months ago

Sorry to hear people don’t understand the concept of individual identity. Its stupid, excessively stupid and shouldn’t be falling in anyone’s lap.

Maybe someday people will realize that someone can enjoy one part of something(Vox’s novel) without that meaning that the person has to condone everything else from A-Z involving that person.

At least I can hope someday everyone can figure that out.

Sarah Hoyt
Sarah Hoyt
1 year 7 months ago

But people are widgets, that can be sorted by skin color and sexual preference and equipment! Within those groups they all think the same.
And of course you can’t enjoy someone’s work unless they rightthink and you agree with everything they say. Good Lord, Man, haven’t you been paying attention to the awards these last few years?
/sarcasm off.

1 year 7 months ago

Wait, wait, I thought you couldn’t sort by equipment because some people discover they have the wrong equipment and should be sorted as if they had they other equipment so you have to sort by equipment but not the actual equipment but the equipment they say they’re supposed to have.

I’m so confused.

windsong
windsong

Narrative always trumps reality. >.<

Sarah Hoyt
Sarah Hoyt
1 year 7 months ago

You’re making my head hurt, and I’m a woman. So you’re sexissssss and your argument is invalid.

Stephen St. Onge
Stephen St. Onge
1 year 7 months ago

Sarah Hoyt wins that exchange, but only by a hair.

The Phantom
1 year 7 months ago

Sarah, having heard your accent on that podcast the other day I’m adding it to your comments. And I must say, the results are absolutely hilarious.

That you’re saying what I’m thinking just makes it all the more hilarious. HoytSpeak. In my head. Bwahaha!!!!

Reziac
1 year 7 months ago

It’s a form of obsessive-compulsive disorder, except instead of pigeonholing other stuff, they pigeonhole people. (And I’m being serious, sad to say.) And you can’t be pigeonholed until they’ve drilled down to your specific traits (if you’re blessed) or flaws (if you’re cursed) by which to be sorted. If you lack, frex, big racism, they have to keep at it until they find your little racism, cuz otherwise they don’t know how to pigeonhole you.

(With apologies to pigeons…)

Steven Francis Murphy
Steven Francis Murphy
1 year 7 months ago

The truth doesn’t matter to The Opposition.

It is good to know where they stand. They’ve made themselves clear.

We are dinosaurs. We are not welcome. We are to be silenced. And if possible, destroyed.

It is as I always suspected. It is good to know where I stand.

And for that, Larry and Brad both, I thank you for your efforts.

Respects,
Steven Francis Murphy
On the Outer Marches

Mark Whipple
Mark Whipple

This this this!!!

AspiringTruFan
AspiringTruFan
1 year 7 months ago

Please remember that the opposition isn’t the rest of us. I’ve been fighting these people quietly for years and losing.

Thanks for all of you that have brought the fight out into the light.

Reziac
1 year 7 months ago

Thank you for reminding us that there are still some reasonable people over yonder. Now if they’d just stop being afraid to speak up…

SusanM.
SusanM.
1 year 7 months ago

If I’m to be a dinosaur I want to be a pteranodon with laser eyes.

Where do I go to have my reconstructive species reassignment surgery? I am pretty sure that Obamacare should pay for it. No one can expect me to stay trapped in the body of a cuddly grandma when I feel in my heart I was meant to soar above the clouds and lay burning waste to random villages.

Expendable Henchman
Expendable Henchman

Dear Times,

The highest part sticking up on a shark is called a:
“Dorsal Fin”

The head is the pointy part on the front with eyes and teeth.

Alpheus
Alpheus
1 year 7 months ago

I think a sequel to a famous work is in order: “Since you are a Dinosaur, My Love”.

Do you think it might get nominated for a Hugo?

James May
1 year 7 months ago

Now that you’re a dinosaur my love, I’ll need some money to buy some Depends and size 57 open-toed shoes.

Lea
Lea

We are dinosaurs.

Hank jr was onto this year ago.

Wofmanjim

We are not dinosaurs.
We are Devo.

SirShadesDrake
SirShadesDrake

nil carborundum illegitemi

60guilders
60guilders
1 year 7 months ago

The sad thing is that you’ve been saying variations of this since I’ve been reading your blog, and people still won’t get it.

Rob Crawford
Rob Crawford
1 year 7 months ago

They get it, they just don’t care. Vox Day is too useful for them as a bludgeon.

Mark Whipple
Mark Whipple
1 year 7 months ago

Yep. As I have said previously, Vox is their last chance to make SP3 out to be haters. They can’t do it with the SP3 suggested works since there is way too much evidence that it is open minded and based on merit. They can now only lie about SP3 being linked to Vox.

chuck
chuck

use the Alinsky Playbook

I don’t think there is anything special about the Alinsky Playbook except, perhaps, that it is written down. It is basically instruction on how to be a manipulative asshole, and as such invents nothing new to history, politics, or the human condition.

Alan S.
Alan S.
1 year 7 months ago

The part that’s most amusing is that the Alinsky Playbook can basically be summarized as “Step outside of Civilized Rules and rally the mob to the flag of Barbarian!”

That’s Vox Day. Fire, meet fire.

Matthew House
Matthew House
1 year 7 months ago

And so, you too, are forced to renounce Vox Day. Maybe I’m not the sharpest spoon in the drawer, but your post looks an awful lot like a soviet era denoucing.

You are not, nor have you ever been, a supporter of Vox Day.

I’m not surprised it’s come to this.

It’s foing to get worse, too. I fully expect someone’s house to get burned down before this is over.

Matthew House
Matthew House
1 year 7 months ago

please note, previous post is meant to be sympathetic, not accusatory. I’m not a writer, I’m a grease monkey.

Taysha
Taysha
1 year 7 months ago

My understanding of denouncing would be to trash the person being denounced.

Simply stating that one is not who one is being associated with is not quite URRS-level. I, too, would be sick of being told I’m evil becuase – Vox.

I’m sure Larry can come up with plenty of evil on his own.

Mark Whipple
Mark Whipple
1 year 7 months ago
I am sad and frustrated this has gone on for so long. It doesn’t matter how many times you say that you’re not Vox. They NEED to align you with him to keep this a scandal since they were unable to say you were a racist/homophobe/cat hater by your nominations. There is an orgy of evidence that the people you picked were from a diverse group so they have to hold on to the last thing they have to try and prove their false point. As I have said previously, they can’t get their whiny base to actually vote, they… Read more »
John C Wright
1 year 7 months ago

“Also, I think it’s entirely unfair that you will not accept a nomination. If your work is good enough to stand out, it should be recognized.”

I agree with Mark Whipple, who sounds like a fine fellow.

Larry Correia should be up for whatever new award replaces the Hugos if or when the Social Justice Planeteers burn the award rather than let any unpersons win one.

Bruce
Bruce

I second the motion!

Alligosh
Alligosh
1 year 7 months ago

We can call the new award “The Correia”, or perhaps “The Torgersen”.

in all seriousness, it could just be something like “The World’s Best SF/F”, though TWiBSFuF may not catch on all that well.

Call it “The Heinlein.”

keranih
keranih
1 year 7 months ago

Or…(I don’t hate ‘The Heinlein’) – dig even deeper back, to da Vinci, perhaps.

1 year 7 months ago

Really torque them off and call it “The Ringo” or “The Kratman.”

Steve Johnson
Steve Johnson

The Julie (Jules Verne)

Cataline Sergius
Cataline Sergius
1 year 7 months ago

Sounds better than the, “Gernsback.”

Or for that matter, “Hugo the Rat.”

Which is what Hugo Gernsback was known as by his stable of unpaid writers.

It’s funny to me that the most prestigious writing award in SFF is named for man who was widely detested by so many of his writers.

Tiago Becerra Paolini
Tiago Becerra Paolini
1 year 7 months ago

It should be called “The Wendell”.

Felix Bellator
Felix Bellator
1 year 7 months ago

The Roberts, for Heinlein and E. Howard.

Synova
1 year 7 months ago

I like Steve’s suggestion of The Julie.

(Since that’s my name.)

But really … Jules Verne… good choice.

Or go even farther back and call it the Illiad.

Zsuzsa
Zsuzsa
1 year 7 months ago

Want to second Tiago Becerra Paolini’s suggestion of the “Wendell.” The trophy should be a manatee on a pedestal, while joyous puppies frolic beneath it.

Matthew
Matthew
1 year 7 months ago

The “What a Rush” award – since that’s what one should be thinking after reading a winner.

Danby
Danby

No no no no no.
It should be the Big-Eyed Puppy

Christopher M. Chupik
Christopher M. Chupik
1 year 7 months ago

“By your entitlement combined, I am Captain Hugo!”

Joseph Capdepon II
Joseph Capdepon II
1 year 7 months ago

You should as well John. Count to a Trillion was amazing.

Awake in the Nightlands was just fantastic. It was the first time in a very long time that something like that has had any effect on me.

John C Wright
1 year 7 months ago

Your thanks are the only award I ned, Mr Capdepon. Thank you.

Wes S.
Wes S.
1 year 7 months ago

“Awake In The Night Lands” was the first thing I read by Mr. Wright; indeed, it was one of the first books I bought for my Kindle, based solely on Internet buzz.

And yes, it blew me away. High-octane nightmare fuel, written in prose with an antique beauty reminiscent of Lovecraft at his best, but without Lovecraft’s nihilism.

That was the book that made me a fan. I’ve been reading him ever since.

Brian
Brian
1 year 7 months ago

It is time for a new award anyway.

Basset hound holding a kukri in her jaws staring mournfully up at you. The ultimate Sad Puppy.

1 year 7 months ago

We’re close to the point where winning a Hugo, unless it’s an ironic thumb in the eye of the SJWs, is a toxic albatross around your neck. I’m more in favor of a Reconquista of the Hugos than the replacement of them, if that’s even possible.

But since the topic is up, I prefer that the new awards that were formerly called the Hugos be named after a true pioneer in the genre, like Jules Verne. Maybe the award can be called the Family Jules.

Feather Blade
Feather Blade

Close to?

That point was passed years ago.

That’s (one of) the point of all of this.

1 year 7 months ago

Eh. Maybe. I’m still hopeful that the Hugos can be rehabilitated.

But if they can’t, I’m not in the least distressed to see them nuked instead.

wayne earl
wayne earl
1 year 7 months ago

Why not call the new award…the Vox?

Christopher M. Chupik
Christopher M. Chupik
1 year 7 months ago

It certainly doesn’t help that Vox keeps using the Sad Puppies hashtag on Twitter. It gives the impression that he’s part of it, when he isn’t. But as Larry said, Vox is not under his control.

Reziac
1 year 7 months ago

Speaking of other uses of “Sad Puppies”, have y’all seen this?

Domain ownership is proxied.

1 year 7 months ago

So who is Noah Ward (the author of all the blog entries, and one would assume the owner of the site)?

Beolach
Beolach
1 year 7 months ago

Say it out loud, slowly.

1 year 7 months ago

[Palm to the forehead] Doh!

Reziac

David Gerrold has used “Noah Ward” as a nym, but it’s not unique to him:

keranih
keranih
1 year 7 months ago

I agree with LC. That sucks. They need advice and meaningful critical critique.

swiftfoxmark2

Larry,

They are doing this in order to make you separate from Vox. It is a classic example of divide and conquer. George Martin has already started this with his posts about Vox.

They know this. They don’t care. They are going to keep at you in order to drive a wedge between the united front that is opposing them. Don’t let them get away with it, especially when victory is in your grasp.

Mark Whipple
Mark Whipple
1 year 7 months ago

I actually do not agree. I think they want to link SP3 to Vox and RP because they think that is enough to destroy SP3. Funny enough, it is not. Vox isn’t going anywhere. Neither is SP. We are really worrying about things that have already been decided. SP3 has done what was intended and they are just unable to accept their defeat. They have done a good job in convincing Brad and Larry that they, the SJWs, are still in this fight. They are not. They lost.

AspiringTruFan
AspiringTruFan
1 year 7 months ago

They aren’t a united front. They haven’t ever been. That is the point of Larry’s post.

If they think *isolating* Vox is going to make him any less obnoxious, they have clearly not been paying attention.

Wofmanjim
1 year 7 months ago

They don’t get it. The SP crew are merely their opponents. Vox is gleefully piloting his kamikaze into the SF establishment. And the CHORFs are not only proving LarryC and BradT right, they’re also dancing to Vox’s tunes.

Bibliotheca Servare
Bibliotheca Servare
1 year 7 months ago

Thanks for that…now I’ve got soda all over my screen…damn it… I can’t stop giggling every time I reread your comment and picture VD in a little Yokosuka D4Y Suisei (“Judy”) dive bomber (thanks Wikipedia) hurtling towards the convention center, cackling gleefully. Oh man…

Christopher M. Chupik
Christopher M. Chupik
1 year 7 months ago

Yes, our side is not a monolithic bloc.

Even if there hadn’t been an SP3, I suspect there would have been a Rabid Puppies. And it probably would have been even more successful.

bjlinden
bjlinden
1 year 7 months ago

I don’t know about you, but I actually AM Vox Day.

I am also Napoleon, Batman, Sam (I Am), Charlie, The Walrus, and Spartacus.

keranih
keranih

Especially Spartacus.

Darius
Darius

I am Spartacus.

And Larry Correia

And Brad TOrgerson

And Sarah Hoyt

And yes, even Vox. Day

I may or may not agree with them, but I will not denounce them. You will not pin their perceived sins on me, but I will provide them covering fire when requested.

Darius
Darius
1 year 7 months ago

Torgersen – think that was me and not the autocorrect –

Bjorn the Horse
Bjorn the Horse
1 year 7 months ago

While I personally may not care for someone’s opinions, I am rabidly opposed to slander and censorship, and to be honest, the frustrated tears of bullies add great flavour to coffee. Lock Shields.

Jon Bromfield
Jon Bromfield
1 year 7 months ago
Larry, I am planning on attending Sasquan because 1. I have never been to a WorldCon 2. I am a proud Sad Puppies, we’ re just as good as any other fans and think we should be represented there. Questions for you: 1. Given the likely hostile atmosphere at Sasquan, is the anticipated cost (appx. $2000) worth it? I mean, I could go on an Alaskan cruise instead! 2. How should a Sad Puppy conduct himself? Dignified silence, even if provoked? Engage the opposition quietly and politely? Engage the opposition politely but forcefully? 3) Would wearing a Wendell t-shirt be… Read more »
Andrew
Andrew

Wear a Go Pro.

Record Everything.

Put it on the web afterwards.

Get popcorn, enjoy fireworks.

B. Durbin
B. Durbin
1 year 7 months ago
I have been to several Worldcons. I’m a reader, not a writer, and have completely missed a lot of the politics going on. (Including 2011, when I was one of the Hugo Escorts—yup, got to carry rockets around. I wouldn’t have attended the ceremony otherwise, because it wasn’t central to my enjoyment. Probably won’t attend this one unless I can participate, because again, it’s an awards ceremony, not my thing.) You can have an excellent time at a Worldcon without dealing with politics at all. Or you can engage according to your personal level of desire. Spokane is a lovely… Read more »
Feather Blade
Feather Blade
1 year 7 months ago

They’ve got a nice gondola over the falls too. There’s not likely to be much water at that time of year, especially given the dearth of winter precip, but the rock are still pretty.

And there’s a massive carousel in the park! And ducks to feed!

B. Durbin
B. Durbin
1 year 7 months ago

Can’t forget the garbage-eating goat.

(I went to college in Spokane and didn’t have a car. However, the campus was right next to the Centennial Trail, about a mile from Riverfront Park, so any time this broke, carless college student was bored, I went to the waterfalls.)

SDN
SDN
1 year 7 months ago

Well, at least until they throw you out for making them “feel unsafe”, as happened here. Fortunately, in this country we have several laws and Amendments to the Constitution to allow us to each sue the Worldcon, it’s ConCom, the WSFS, etc. both personally and corporately until they either go bankrupt or decide this game isn’t worth the candle. Teach them what public accommodation and equal access really mean.

Synova
1 year 7 months ago

I won’t be there, but I’m in favor of visual identifiers as a general rule.

Wendell ought to be “in group” enough not to scare the natives.

Lea
Lea
1 year 7 months ago

I am waiting to see how this all goes down, because Kansas City next year is quite driveable… But if it just turns into a complete wreck I won’t bother.

Synova
1 year 7 months ago
Kansas City is driveable for me too. I also might be working and thus have funds next year. I *almost* went to World Con in San Jose but we sold our house and moved out of California in June and I didn’t realize I’d missed it until August. (Moving, it sucketh.) If I do go… if you go… it’s really SOOOOO possible to wander about completely alone and isolated next to an imaginary internet friend and never know it. I like the idea of the Wendell shirt because it’s be a great identifier without being off-putting to random passers by.
James May
1 year 7 months ago

You’ll hear more whale music at WorldCon.

Expendable Henchman
Expendable Henchman
1 year 7 months ago
Jon, Alaska Cruise. After an hour of eau du ConStench and standing in lines surrounded by constant arrogant idiocy, you will kick yourself for not cruising. — 1. You have probably never been waterboarded either. It sucks. 2a. A Sad Puppy would conduct himself to the travel agency and inquire about heavily discounted cruise tickets to fill last minute vacancies. 2b. Dignified silence and professionalism is always appreciated by the left. Nothing like a target that won’t scream back. 2c. Polite, forceful engagement with them is like bringing brass knuckles to a gunfight. Brave, stupid and worthless. The ones you… Read more »
Taysha
Taysha
1 year 7 months ago
You’re not Vox Day, but they’re too scared to go against him, so they go against you. Pretty normal practice for people whose convictions are based on the word of the group. They can swarm, but they can’t stand alone. I’m sorry you have to deal with all of this. I also want to thank you for opening my eyes to the reality of the publishing field I refused to see. I can pretty much say I will, at this point, never be able to publish professionally. As bummed as I am about the epiphany, it hurts less now than… Read more »
Andrew
Andrew
1 year 7 months ago

You don’t need a publishers opinion to tell you your writing is good, just your fans.

Self publish, keep more money, kick the middlemen out, and be happy. Its easier to do that today than it was five years ago, and there’s a ton of resources out there that are willing and able to help you.

Taysha
Taysha
1 year 7 months ago

Everyone wants to belong. When your day job doesn’t align with what you really want, the idea of belonging jabs you hard in a little corner of your mind.

‘Belonging’ is now making my stomach turn.

But thank you for the support. It is more appreciated than I have words to describe.

Andrew
Andrew
1 year 7 months ago
I get a distinct Grouch Marx vine now too when I think about whats going on sometimes. I’m an aspiring writer, doing what I can to work on my craft and improve my storytelling before I put my work out there. I use to dream of belonging to SWFA, and maybe winning an award or two for my works. When Amazon and KDP started, it was a game changer. Heck, I owned a Softbook back in the day, I remember paying $17.99 for a .pdf of a book. I’m on my fifth Kindle right now, and I’m a voracious reader… Read more »
Andrew
Andrew
1 year 7 months ago

Should be Groucho Marx vibe…sigh…

John C Wright
1 year 7 months ago

“I can pretty much say I will, at this point, never be able to publish professionally.”

Pardon me for being blunt, but humbug. If I can be published, you can be.

These people about whom we complain are on their way out. The reason why there is so much screaming and drama on the Internet is because this is their last cry of panic before the waters of oblivion close over their heads.

jack
jack
1 year 7 months ago
I would pay good money just to read JCW comments. Should not be OT, I think. When the guy [and gal?] over at Worldcon decided to remove JCW work from the nominations based an ‘evolving’ and increased ‘understanding’ of what constitutes published material for Hugos, did they not violate some sort of Worldcon rule about rules? Should not the evolving standard for previously published works up for Hugos be voted on by the members? At a minimum, considering that Scalsi, to name maybe only one, was given a pass some years ago for the same ‘offense’ the least they could… Read more »
Beolach
Beolach
1 year 7 months ago
Chris Gerrib over on Brad’s blog made two points that I actually agree with regarding this: It’s worth noting that the Hugo admins are (like the rest of Worldcon) unpaid volunteers, trying to run this event in their spare time. I think of them as similar to referees or umpires in sports, doing their best to correctly enforce the rules in an unbiased fashion, but still fallible humans who may make errors. And just because a fan disagrees, doesn’t necessarily mean their call was wrong. As volunteers, I don’t hold the Hugo admins to as high a standard as pr