I’m not Vox Day

The Sad Puppies 3 campaign is a separate and different entity than the Rabid Puppies campaign.

I started Sad Puppies a few years ago. My goal was to demonstrate that the awards were biased, represented the likes of only one small part of fandom, and that authors with the wrong politics who got on the ballot would be attacked.  All of that has been demonstrated rather conclusively.

Brad Torgersen ran Sad Puppies 3, and I was one of the people who helped. The mission changed, and Brad’s main goal was to get deserving, worthy authors who would normally be ignored onto the ballot, regardless of their politics.

Vox Day ran a separate campaign called Rabid Puppies.

I believe that RP started with most of existing SP3 suggested slate, and then added more works that they liked. But I can’t speak for them.

Vox Day himself was not on the SP3 slate.

I believe 3 short fiction works from his publishing house were on our suggested slate. They were on our suggested slate because we thought they were very good.

Vox Day was on a prior SP suggestion slate, because I liked his novelette that year, and the SP2 slate was pretty much just my personal suggestions.

The Sad Puppies campaign doesn’t endorse anybody’s politics. Our slate had people from everything, left, right, middle, and question mark. We only cared if the works were good.

I personally do not agree with Vox on a wide variety of topics.

I do not speak for him.

I do not control him.

He does what he wants.

We have argued about this topic. You know the situation has gotten weird when I’m the voice of moderation.

I cannot disown what I do not own.

I neither condone nor defend any of his public statements. I did not make them.

Of course I do not like some of the things he has said.

Do you think the existence of Rabid Puppies has somehow made my life easier?

I’m not going to burn anyone in effigy. Stop asking.

I’m not going to condemn anyone by association. Stop asking.

When two assholes collide, I shouldn’t have to take a side, declare one a sainted victim, and the other the devil aggressor. Stop asking me to.

I’ve said all of the above before.

My personal politics are on record. I have been involved in politics. I’ve written about my personal beliefs a lot. I am very opinionated. Those are my personal beliefs. I stand by them. Since this has started reporters have combed through everything I’ve ever written, trying to find something sexist, racist, or homophobic to use against me, and they haven’t found anything. Why? Because they aren’t there. Because I’m not.

I recommended someone’s short story. You do not like his belief. I can defend my liking his short story, but I cannot, and should not have to account for the author’s personal beliefs. A giant group of other authors, who are also not affiliated with him, should not be assigned his beliefs and be attacked for them.

However, I can believe that all authors have the right to free speech. That includes people who say stuff I don’t like or agree with. I have a giant list of authors I disagree with. I have done so, loudly, and often. We should all be free to disagree without the danger of purges, defamation, and career sabotage. As far as I am aware, Vox Day hasn’t ever called for censorship or tried to ruin any author’s career. I cannot however, say that same thing for others.

Authors should not be attacked for the crime of being recommended by someone you don’t like. That is asinine. The only questions should be, is the work good? Is the work award worthy? Yes? Good. Then quit yelling at them. I was told by one of his supporters yesterday that Vox is also a fan of Umberto Eco and China Mieville. Better break out the torches and pitchforks!

I cannot explain his quotes or his public statements because I did not formulate them, do not hold them myself, and I did not write them. Unlike my critics, I do not claim to read minds.

I cannot purge him. First, I don’t believe in purges. Second, I believe in free speech, warts and all. And third, since he isn’t part of my campaign, I’ve got nothing to purge him from.

Let me clarify something. When I say something to the effect about how it would be awful nice to see normal people on the other side condemn the outlandish, racist, stupid, hateful, threatening things that hundreds on their side have said, I don’t actually expect them to. They don’t own other people’s comments either. Normally when I bring that up, it is out of frustration, because I’m expected to ritually shun someone who is nominally on my side of the debate for saying mean things, while all those on the other side saying things just as bad or worse, are given a pass. That is hypocritical.

For the one loudmouth I’m being demanded to account for, just among the award winning and nominated folks on the other side you’ve got NAMBLA supporters, psychopathic trolls, and a whole mess of racists… But Brad and I are the ones who need to anoint ourselves with ash and perform the ritual of shame? No. Buzz off.

SP3 has been accused of trying to sweep the nominations. First, we didn’t have 5 in most of the categories, and when we did, it was because we had a ton of good suggestions and honestly thought all of them were awesome. Second, we did not expect to do as good as we did. Our showing was a surprise. Some of the categories were not swept by SP, but rather a combination of SP and RP noms, and SP had no control over that. Note, that isn’t an apology. That is a clarification. They are fans too, they spent their $40 like everyone else, and they voted for what they wanted.

And believe me, if I was surprised by how many fans SP brought, I was really surprised by what RP pulled off.

John C. Wright is also not Vox Day. Sad Puppies did not get him a record number of nominations. I believe we had him for 3 items in novella, short, and related work, and all of them were excellent. Wright picked up more nominations beyond that, which again, my campaign had no control over. He is now tied for most in one year. However, Wright is an excellent author, who has been around about as long as Charles Stross, but he is normally ignored at awards time. So rather than bitch and moan about him getting several noms, why don’t you actually read the works to see how good they are and vote honestly?

My motivation was not to replace one biased clique with a new biased clique, but rather to get an award that everyone—up until two weeks ago—claimed represented all of fandom, to represent more of fandom. I suppose the one way that I do have to accept responsibility for Vox Day is that I’m the one who demonstrated to all the outsiders just how little and cliquish the system actually was.

So in conclusion, we are not Vox Day. Quit trying to make us the same. Vox Day is Vox Day. If you have any problems with him, take it up with him.

Catching up, then back to work
Well, this sucks.

833 Comments on "I’m not Vox Day"

1 year 1 month ago

It’s absolutely pathetic that you felt like you had to say something like this, Larry. Absolutely pathetic.

There’s no way any of us should have to announce that we’re not Vox Day. Especially considering all the digital ink spilled saying so previously. You shouldn’t have had to do it again.

And what’s really pathetic? This whole post won’t accomplish a damn thing, because they’ll still equate you and Brad with Vox.

MP
1 year 1 month ago

Wuck? You want to clarify “pathetic?” It’s certainly sad that SJWs are pulling the Alinsky tactics and Larry has to remind them about basic logic.

Kristophr
1 year 1 month ago

The left cannot tolerate logic. No matter how much you remind them it exists, they will continue to ignore it.

Doug Loss
1 year 1 month ago

The one I like best is when they make some wild assertion, then crow, “Prove I’m wrong!” I always say, “You don’t get how debate works, do you? You made the assertion, I challenged it, the onus is on YOU to prove what you said, not on me to refute it. Till you do, what you said must be assumed to be untrue.”

1 year 1 month ago

B…b…but logic is a racist, sexist, homophobic tool of the cisgendered patriarchy. We do not need bourgeois truth! We need revolutionary truth!

/SJW*nker mode off

Duke of URL
1 year 1 month ago

You’ve been listening to Elizabeth Warren again, haven’t you?

RedJack
1 year 1 month ago

Logic will not work. It is viewed as hatred and evil (note, there is no sarcasm).

The fact do not matter to them, only the hate does. They hate Larry, and most of us, because we don’t hate as they do.

Murphy7
1 year 1 month ago

While I am saddened that anyone would perceive a need to make this differentiation, but I find myself often saddened by the state of humanity at times.

On the other hand, I find new reasons to love Larry’s writing in each of these blog posts. I really love this analogy: “Look at it like this. I’m Churchill. Brad is FDR. We wound up on the same side as Stalin.”

Well said.

1 year 1 month ago

That is a good one. (Now waiting to see how it gets misconstrued by the other side…)

Larry says, “Vox Day is Vox Day. If you have any problems with him, take it up with him.”

But they won’t. How many of VD’s detractors have actually argued their points with VD himself? Time and again I hear (paraphrased) “I don’t feel safe going to VD’s site.” So the answer is not very many, because it’s so much safer to fling poo at an effigy (where in this case, Larry is doing duty as the effigy).

Kristophr
1 year 1 month ago

They tried that. Vox is a racist, but he’s not a stupid racist.

Every time they go their to howl at him, he hands them their heads.

Kristophr
1 year 1 month ago

There, not their … bloody hell ….

Joe in PNG
1 year 1 month ago

This is the sort of thing he loves. A bit like how Hunter Thompson would have reacted to a major, 1 hour prime time Nixon speech denouncing the Rolling Stone*.

*for you lefties out there.

JustAGuyOnTheWeb
1 year 1 month ago

You used their correctly..

Kristophr
1 year 1 month ago

I used “their” twice. The first usage was incorrect.

Lee
10 months 2 days ago

Every racist is a stupid racist. Believing in race, a concept that was made up for financial gain, when science has proven there is no basis for racial differentiation, is the mark of a simple mind.

Lotharloo
1 year 1 month ago

I’ve read Vox’s irrational atheist as well as a few other ridiculous posts by him. He is well-past the point where one could be reasonably engaged with. Or to put it differently, there are more useful things to do in life than to argue with (broken) wind.

Arguing with Vox reminds of the many pointless discussions I had with 9/11 truthers. They also certainly “knew a lot” and could at every chance pull another obscure random fact or connection. Same is true here. Pick any claim by Vox, the evidence he uses to back it is only superficially related and any contradicting evidence is happily ignored.

But yeah, Larry Correia is not responsible for Vox and it does not make him a racist if he happens to like a story by Vox. Although, I would be disappointed if he happens to like the crap music Vox used to make.

Darius
1 year 1 month ago

Hmmm… “disqualify”, “attack” and bordering on “make sh*t up”

Well, coming from someone who can’t use a common standard of racism for speech independent of the speaker, I don’t expect you to follow deeper logic in arguments either

1 year 1 month ago

Hey, weren’t you in the previous thread demanding that people disavow Vox because he (like the Democrats do) figure that women pretty much only vote with their vaginas?

Stephen St. Onge
1 year 1 month ago

People don’t feel safe GOING TO A WEBSITE?

Will evil spirits haunt them, or will the Abominable Dr. Day leap directly out of the monitor to kill them?

Patrick Chester
1 year 1 month ago

It is 2015, shouldn’t the Cyberpunk stuff be coming out? Cyberlimbs, cyberdecks, black ice…

Hee hee. Nice Reference!

Patrick Chester

@Brian
The Firestarter program would set the unfortunate user on fire, though it would be most effective if the user was using a neural interface.

1 year 1 month ago

Will destroy shadowy conspiracies 4 Adam Jensen augments…

Watch for Operation Screaming Fist, coming soon to blogs near you.

Radioactive
1 year 1 month ago

Not my circus, not my monkeys

JaimeInTexas
1 year 1 month ago

I get metaphor but I suspect that many will go, “mmm so true, Vox is a Sallin” You go Larry, call it how you see it.
Maybe you should use the language that the Hugo gate keepers willl understand better:

You are Augusto Pinochet, Brad is King Salman bin Abdulaziz Al Saud

Doug Northcote
1 year 1 month ago

Was having a drink of tea at the moment I read that. I literally had to wipe my face after laughing back into my mug.

Well played Correia! (Great metaphor!)

pmm
1 year 1 month ago

It isn’t that simple. SP and RP have very similar logos, shared some of the same nominations, and had been mentioned here as the “even more eevul” slate with a couple of recommendations from the RP list. It was NOT OBVIOUS to an outsider that the lists were unrelated without disclaimers of this sort.

Yes I understand that NOW. But it was very hard to know that when the Hugo nominations came out. I suspect this is what happened to EW too.

Crabtree
1 year 1 month ago

Assuming EW means Entertainment Weekly then it probably would have helped if they had bothered to talk to someone… anyone… on this side of the issue before going to print.

1 year 1 month ago

From personal experience in completely unrelated matters, I know many “journalists” are so intellectually lazy that they will basically republish a press release almost verbatim if it looks like it fits their preconceptions.

Sir Wulf
1 year 1 month ago

Over 80% of the articles we see in newspapers or posted on websites have their origins in someone’s press release. The people who generate these press releases are never dispassionate observers: They inevitably have some skin in the game”.

Adding to the problem, many journalists walk into a situation with their minds already made up. They learn of an issue that will arouse the passions of their readers, then build their article around the information they already have. They’re only interested in including contradictory information when it lets them present the illusion that they are dealing fairly with the issue. They dig just far enough to find material for a paragraph toward the end of their article, something along the lines of “Conservative writers asked about the issue denied any wrongdoing.”

Slime
1 year 1 month ago

“They would have needed to do research on the story before accurately representing it, so therefore it’s understandable that they did not do the research on the story before accurately representing it.”

Slime
1 year 1 month ago

* minus the second “accurately”

Kristophr
1 year 1 month ago

My kingdom for an edit function.

Jamie
1 year 1 month ago

You may excuse yourself if you like, but there is no excuse whatsoever for EW. They were lazy and biased. Period.

Journalism 101: You talk to BOTH sides.

That means, if there are two groups, you talk to two groups. If there are three groups, you talk to three groups. The number of people you talk to scales up with the number of groups in the story. This so “duh” that a high school reporter can master it. Middle school, even.

What you do not do–and this is so bloody obvious–is take one person’s side and run with it. Reporters don’t get to libel people just because they’re too lazy to look for contact information, they don’t get to libel people just because they don’t want to look for both sides. The reporter believed one side from the get go; it’s why she didn’t bother to ask the other sides. See “Sabrina Erdely” for an example of this writ large.

I’m not a reporter, but a newspaper pays my bills. I can’t think of any editor off hand where I work who would have run with this story. Just the other day we brought in our lawyer on a video I was editing, because at casual glance, a woman appears to be [falsely] accusing a man of pedophilia.

We ultimately decided not to present the video, because we couldn’t take the chance that readers would not conclude that she was accusing him. There are an insane number of fools out there who truly believe that an accusation means “well something must have happened,” and we weren’t about to nurture their stupidity.

Because we have real reporters on our staff, we already knew the man was nowhere near those kids, and we already knew the mother had made unsubstantiated claims like this in the past. And the guy was no saint; what with not paying child support and all. But you know, just because a guy isn’t a saint, that doesn’t mean it’s okay to let the “he’s a pedophile” rumor get started at our hands.

Even if Larry was an evil “-ist,” that doesn’t mean it’s okay to tar him. And that he was tarred is not excusable. That is not his fault, that is entirely and solely the fault of EW’s reporters and editors. Period.

1 year 1 month ago

Journalism today isn’t about accuracy. It’s about collecting as many eyeballs as possible to sell to advertisers. Cuz for journalists, YOU are the product.

Outrage works much better than truth as a means of gluing eyeballs to the screen. Therefore journalism today looks for outrage first and foremost, and for truth only incidentally, or if truth will provoke further outrage.

Stephen St. Onge
1 year 1 month ago

Are you claiming that Vox Day suggested only voting for straight white guys, as suggested in the EW story? If so, a citation would be nice.

Deb
1 year 1 month ago

Throwing a voice of (what I perceive to be) sanity into all this mess here:

Instead of creating Sad Puppies, why didn’t you just create a positive campaign to make more scifi readers aware of all the different flavors of scifi out there, encourage ALL of them to nominate their favorites, and let democratic process decide the nominations? Instead, we have what has devolved into silly name-calling, and a total clusterf*ck for the Hugo Awards.

Yeah, in recent years I’ve personally found the nominated works, especially the Novel and Novellas, to be kind of boring. So? Those are the people who took the time and the money to nominate and vote. (Had I taken the time to nominate, I’d have picked a lot of Lois McMaster Bujold or Patricia Briggs books. That’s my preference.) It’s not a sekrit cabal of elitists, contrary to what some people are saying or implying.

Now we have the Puppies camp, claiming that everyone who isn’t agreeing with you are SJW or liberal or what have you. Grow up, people. Try to be more inclusive. Expand your horizons. The “us against them” mentality is the problem here. Look at the other comments on this post and tell me I’m wrong.

htom
1 year 1 month ago

OK, then, “You’re wrong.” That’s what Brad did. It was called SP3. Others trashed it, and you come along and appear to think that what they did was what Brad wanted. Ah well, life is like that.

Stephen St. Onge
1 year 1 month ago

You didn’t bother to read what Larry said about Sad Puppies and why he did what he did.

Consider yourself gonged. Exit’s to the left.

1 year 1 month ago

“Now we have the Puppies camp, claiming that everyone who isn’t agreeing with you are SJW or liberal or what have you.”

Excuse me? I can’t imagine anyone having said that simply disagreeing with Sad Puppies makes someone an SJW. An SJW has a rather specific definition (mine is… “must have an enemy”… on account of status is gained by public battle against that enemy.)

Liberal? There were liberals on Brad’s list and self-identified liberals comment here and are welcomed. A whole heck of a lot is made of the virtue of NOT having a political litmus test as a proxie for “good fiction”.

Also, why not talk to “them” about the “us vs. them” thing. They might listen to you, or you might come to the attention of the foot soldiers who are making a name by their public battles and intimidation.

NC
1 year 1 month ago

To be fair on the liberal front — I keep combing through comments on this post using ‘leftist’ and ‘liberal’ as an insult and ‘how the left cannot tolerate logic’. Why is that necessary?

It’s made me, someone trying to understand the movement, balk considering just as you said — Larry seemed clear in his inclusiveness. But so many on the replies on this post seem very much not interested in ‘welcoming’ those ideologies. Hence I think the comments about the ‘Puppies’ camp.

But, back I go to see if I can sort the informative comments from those just bashing as I educate myself on this.

1 year 1 month ago

Well, for what it’s worth, I don’t see this as a liberal problem per se. To me, SJWs are a coalition of extremely naive liberals with a certain almost hysterical crusader mindset driven by a cult of mentally unhinged female-worship and paranoid anti-white racism that self-identifies using the term “intersectional feminism.” I’d say roughly 2/3 of the whole are bigots and the rest do-gooders. It’s a really weird phenomenon, a perfect storm of creepiness. If I were to point to the two biggest culprits I’d say it’s gender studies classes and prescription medications. These people are not exactly shy about sharing the fact they often have ADD, OCD, PTSD and bi-polar depression.

Taarkoth
1 year 1 month ago

Oh look, yet another concern troll whining about how it Messrs. Correia’s and Torgerson’s fault that the Flaming Douchnozzles of Tolerance are acting like sociopaths.

Shawna
1 year 1 month ago

“Instead of creating Sad Puppies, why didn’t you just create a positive campaign to make more scifi readers aware of all the different flavors of scifi out there, encourage ALL of them to nominate their favorites, and let democratic process decide the nominations?”

That’s actually what I understood SP to be. I wasn’t really aware of the Hugos previously (vaguely, but they weren’t really on my radar), and I didn’t know that it was something I could join in on. SP made me aware of that and encouraged me to participate. So that’s what I did. I think I nominated 2 of the books from the SP slate and a handful of the movies/shows. And only because I actually really enjoyed those things and thought they were great. Then I voted for a bunch of other stuff I thought was great (none of it, unfortunately, made the ballot). So … yeah, I think SP did what you suggested here. From what I can see, I think it’s really RB that messed everything up. Larry and Brad just tried to get more people involved. Seems like Vox was the one who, separately, actually tried to attack the Hugos. But I haven’t been keeping totally up on all sides of this thing, so I can’t say for sure.

JaimeInTexas
1 year 1 month ago

please delete my ptevious post. it went incomplete. please accept my apology for carelessness.

1 year 1 month ago

I’m personally astonished by how easy it was to massively change the nominations, which in turn shows just how small a pool was voting for the Hugos. And the angry desperation with which this is being met by those who are members of the previous in-group demonstrates that they lack much in the way of support out of their own tiny faction.

1 year 1 month ago

As the saying used to go in the Society for Creative Anacronism, the politicking and infighting was so fierce because the stakes were so small.

In this case, you’re seeing egos who are used to ‘controlling’ who gets the Hugos finding they don’t have the power they used to have. And authors who have been GOHs on the Con circuit for ages seeing their potential GOH slots threatened.

This is unacceptable, so regretfully the Sad Puppies Must Die so They can continue being the apex of Fandom.

Herb
1 year 1 month ago

SJWs are like all leftists: they are Satanists in the Miltonian sense.

They would rather rule in hell than serve in heaven.

The Hugos and WorldCon is the proof of this. They’d rather burn the award down to keep it to themselves than share it with the broader fandom.

Doug Loss
1 year 1 month ago

You know, at this point burning the award down doesn’t sound like such a bad thing.

Herb

I know but…

I am voter for the first time even though I started reading SFF when I started reading circa 1970.

I thought I had to go to WorldCon to vote until last year but only did SP this year. I didn’t have what I considered a broad enough reading to honestly nominate and the book I very much wanted to nominate wasn’t eligible after all.

So I didn’t nom but I’ve been looking forward to my packet and reading as hard and fast as I could to be able to vote.

The physical award is a thing of beauty and as silly as it sounds to get to vote on the rocket the year SpaceX takes off and lands a rocket on its tail the way God and Heinlein intended and the award symbolizes means a lot to me.

And now it feels like voting will just the award equivalent of flying on the Dresden raid. The SJW have declared they’ll burn down any non-SJW approved nominee with a No Award without thinking that if only 1 in 10 SP and RP supporters return the favor to SJW approved works the result will in fact likely be No Award across the board.

Can Brad and Larry convince over 90% of the SP voters from returning the favor. Does VD even think convincing any of the RP voters to not return the favor is the correct idea? Larry and Brad have said so but I don’t know if VD has. Even if he does can he succeed in convincing enough?

I said on the other thread this is what war is like and this is why rational people avoid it. They often avoid it longer than they should.

I am wondering if SP needed to happen 10 or even 20 years ago. I suspect the way to get an award that represents fandom is help the SJWs burn the Hugos down and work to give prominence to the awards at DragonCon if they have some and start some if they don’t.

Joshua
1 year 1 month ago

SP did need to happen 10-20 years ago, actually. Too bad nobody was around who 1) put two and two together again to see that it was actually doable, and 2) cared to do so.

I’m afraid that since SP didn’t happen 10-20 years ago, we’re at the point where RP is the only solution that has any hope of saving the Hugos at all, in the same sense that the Reconquista saved Hispania by (eventually) turning into Spain instead of al-Andalus.

Not only that, #GamerGate and the Puppies are more important than people think; because they are the first green shoots of the tipping point, where liberalism is being shown to the greater, wider world, even beyond gamers and scifi fans, to be absurd, totalitarian, intellectually and morally bankrupt, and populated by childish, mentally ill, rabbity bullies and petty tyrants who are, nonetheless, paper tigers who are relatively easily defeated once one finally wakes up and realizes the need to do so.

Herb
1 year 1 month ago

Does that make SP, #GamerGate, and the D&D fans who fought a similar purge last summer the early settlers who are taking the arrows?

Joshua
1 year 1 month ago

Dangit! I missed the D&D drama! What happened there?

M. L. Martin
1 year 1 month ago

Herb–Perhaps I missed something, but the D&D drama last summer felt like a combination of other issues and the Revolution starting to eat its children. The two ‘gentlemen’ that the SJWs went after despise social conservatives as much as the SJWs do.

Matthew
1 year 1 month ago

Is there a good writeup of the D&D drama? I seem to have missed it.

Joshua
1 year 1 month ago

OK; looked up the D&D drama. I’m not sure if that’s really the same thing at all. That’s SJWs eating their own, and nobody taking a really principled stand over the imbecility of a witch-hunt of fellow SJWs who may possibly have made some “trans-gender” gamer feel bad once. Or who might do so in the future, at least.

Although any non-SJWs watching might have had their eyes opened, it still seems more likely that they’re still concerned that secretly they may be “transphobists” or the victims of some equally stupid made-up malady.

Herb
1 year 1 month ago

I do consider the D&D drama the same thing as Zak, especially, has stood up for the idea that if you’re talking about D&D all that matters is you’re making useful D&D stuff.

Zak openly has no political use for social conservatives yet he publishes under one of the most politically incorrect imprints, Lamentations of the Flame Princess, that is deeply stepped in heavy metal culture. LotFP is also routinely accused of violence against women due to its art choices and themes.

Zak’s real sin that started it all was when rape accusations were repeated without investigation about a designer he called people out by name on it. When, a year later, someone went through all the publicly available evidence and determined he could not conclude the rapes had occurred Zak again called out the people he’d listed earlier by name (and we’re talking 30-40 people in a community that is pretty small). He said either they needed to retract their statements publicly and apologize or he would consider them liars who were not to be trusted on anything. He also said he would tell other the same when asked.

In the interim he was thrown off RPG.net for defending Monte Cook against accusations of being a rape apologist because of a succubus like character he included in the Ninth World. Zak argued it was a good monster and that was what mattered.

The only aspect of it was the revolution eating its own was Zak and to a lesser degree Pundit’s political positions.

The thing that was like GamerGate and SP was Zak and Pundit had a history of standing up for anyone who made interesting RPG material that was fun to play. Another thing that was parallel was Zak especially has a history of calling BS on the very SJW tactics of accusations and demands to denounce based on them. The only thing I’ve seen Zak denounce anyone over is, as seen above, spreading false rape accusations.

Joshua
1 year 1 month ago

Sorry; I meant it’s not the same thing in that I don’t see anyone making a principled stand against it and attracting supporters who are openly claiming to have seen behind the curtain because of it, as has happened with GamerGate and the Puppies.

The discussion isn’t around whether or not witch-hunters against “transphobists” is appropriate in the first place, it’s about whether or not those two actually ARE transphobists. The Narrative™ seems to remain entirely intact; it’s not even an attack on The Narrative™, rather it seems to be just political infighting between one group who dislikes a couple of individuals, all parties of which are thoroughly steeped in The Narrative™ even so.

Herb
1 year 1 month ago

Joshua, had to think a bit about your comment and why I couldn’t agree.

I think the issue is The Narrative. It is possible to be a leftist, that is believe a certain social organization is desirable, and not be wedded to the The Narrative.

Zak S. is a leftist but he is not committed to The Narrative. The fact that he earned their ire over a year earlier and that the fight was payback shows it. He say, “Don’t repeat rape accusations without proof” when The Narrative is “all rape accusations are true”.

When they were found not to be true he said, “Retract them openly and apologize or I consider you a liar not to be trusted ever”. The Narrative is “even false accusations raise awareness and must not be punished to discourage victims”.

Zak stood up for truth over The Narrative and that made him in the eyes of the SJW transphobic, homophobic, misogynistic, etc (some white dude in Sweden tried to convince his female players they had Stockholm Syndrome and that’s why they supported him).

Now, you are correct in that the territory was more “These people are liars in that Zak isn’t A,B,C because 1,2,3” instead of “they are liars promoting a false narrative.”

Maybe that makes it parallel instead of the same but I still consider it a battle in the same war to judge artist/writers/etc on their works and call out liars using character assassination as a weapon.

YMMV but from my point the D&D thing is a big part of why I’m in SP3 but wasn’t a voter in SP2 (was too late to nominate even if I had paid in SP2 but didn’t nom in SP3 either).

1 year 1 month ago

And THIS is what they’re pushing out of the running in all their ‘tolerance’ and ‘diversity’.

That’s good stuff – well worthy of Analog 20 years ago.

(Darn. I’ve reached OldeFartDom… 🙁 )

Douglas B. Killings
1 year 1 month ago

> I’m personally astonished by how easy it was to
> massively change the nominations

I also think it was a sign of a lot of deep-felt frustration with the Hugo nominations these last few years.

rocinante2

Four words:

Redshirts, “Best Novel”, 2013.

rocinante2
1 year 1 month ago

PS – That’s when *I* knew the Hugos were “broken”.

AngorMike
1 year 1 month ago

First rule of a vote fight, bring your vote.
Second rule of a vote fight, bring friends with votes.

The Captain
1 year 1 month ago

Well said. Just sorry you have to keep saying it…

Keep writing those dynamite fun books and know that you’ve got a huge fan base that know what you’re saying, agree and agree with it.

NEXT YEAR I’m getting a membership, when the packet comes I’ll have someone black out the names of the authors so I have no idea what I’m reading and vote the Best Stories.

Best regards,

The Captain

Salt
1 year 1 month ago

“I have repeated this stuff dozens of times, but apparently I need to repeat it again.”

You’ll have to do it till the cats come home.

“Before some audiences not even the possession of the exactest knowledge will make it easy for what we say to produce conviction. For argument based on knowledge implies instruction, and there are people whom one cannot instruct.” Aristotle

J

#JeNeSuisPasVoxDay 🙂

Doug Loss
1 year 1 month ago

But Larry, if you’re REALLY not VD, why haven’t we ever seen you in the same room together? (And of course, if we did that would mean that you have identical beliefs and support each other in all things…)

Do I really have to say “sarcasm?”

1 year 1 month ago

“Gosh Miss Lane. isn’t it funny how you never see Larry Correia and Vox Day togeth–” *THUD*

“Oh, Jimmy….”

1 year 1 month ago

Alas, because the opponents of SP3 use the Alinsky Playbook, this is what it’s comes down to. They’re running with the narrative of LARRY = BRAD = VOX. Which to anyone with a brain is wrong, but then, the people who are hating on us right now have proven they don’t have brains. Larry’s statement is for the middle. The people who haven’t dropped their nickels into one jar, or the other, just yet. I like Larry’s statement a lot. I think it says just about everything I could possibly say. Thank you, Larry!

Paul
1 year 1 month ago

Larry’s Big Three analogy shows you both to be completely out of touch with reality and with no perspective.

First read Vox Day in context

You wonder “Why Oh Why are people associating me with him”. Then a few paragraphs later you acknowledge you are willingly and happily allied with him. Gee…. wonder why people are associating you with him.

You are angry about mean hateful unfair things someone said about you on the internet. Wow, wonder how the people (basically all black people) feel about those things VD said about them?

You lack the integrity to call a wrong a wrong, unless you are PERSONALLY wronged. So you lack credibility as well.

Finally, for a guy who spends time moaning and whining about the “perpetually offended” left, you spend a lot of time being offended. Project much?

Paul
1 year 1 month ago

“Concern Troll” would suggest Im pretending to try to help you. Im not, you made your poor life choice, you should live with the ramifications.

You fail to realize that while you acting like VD was the crazy, but lovable, racist uncle at family functions, in order to align your goals, he was using you as much as(more than) you used him.

He has an ideology that he would like to promote, you in a quasi embrace of him have given him a bit of the legitimacy he didn’t deserve. This is what is driving people mad. He attached himself like a parasite to your movement, which has a legitimate point, and sucked it dry. Because you allowed it. Its now exactly what he wanted it to be about, its about him.

And what do you mean “go after someones career”? Did they have them fired? Did Amazon refuse to ship their books? Did they break in their homes and steal their laptops? Or did they just say mean stuff on the internet? This reeks of hyperbole.

Dan
1 year 1 month ago

“The thing is that when you do that, you send a message that you think you are uniting with VD (an appropriate abbreviation considering the context) to face a greater evil (ala FDR/Churchill with Stalin). You seem to believe that the a clique of SciFi writers is a greater evil than the hate and bile which is Vox Day. You lack perspective. ”

Christians and Jews are being genocided across the Muslim World. Western Civilization is in sharp decline.

Vox merely has the nerve to say something and he is the monster?

The actual genociders are enabled by the cover they receive from these Social Justice Warriors.

Dan
1 year 1 month ago

It should be pointed out (since it is unfortunately not obvious) that the kinds of freedoms SciFi writers enjoy only exit in Western Civilization and nowhere else.

Joshua
1 year 1 month ago

I wonder why you are willing to so openly associate yourself with David Futrelle, an openly bigoted man-hater?

rocinante2
1 year 1 month ago

Um, yeah, linking to Dave Futrelle is not going to buy you a lot of credibility around here.

1 year 1 month ago

I’m waiting for the next revision to the Narrative here.

I’m betting on “Vox Day is a sock puppet controlled by Correia via the Orbital Mind Control Lasers”.

Because you’re OBVIOUSLY a 1%er attached to the Military-Industrial Complex. . . . (evil grin)

Christopher M. Chupik
1 year 1 month ago

No, no, get your facts straight. It’s Larry who is under the control of Vox’s mind-control lasers on behalf of the GamerGate/Reptilian/Rotarian axis.

Matthew
1 year 1 month ago

The “GamerGate/Reptilian/Rotarian” axis, eh? What’s the PUFF one one of those (waiting for the MHI story where it turns out the British Royal Family really *is* composed of reptilian aliens like the ones in V)

John VI
1 year 1 month ago

Doctor who writers already turned the royal family into werewolves….. Its really more a fun question of how they stay PUFF exempt.

John VI
1 year 1 month ago

Actually, its a fun mental experiment to wonder how ANY politician stays PUFF exempt…

live the dream
1 year 1 month ago

“GamerGate/Reptilian/Rotarian military axis G.R.R.M for short.

Wait it shows who was behind this the whole time.

palaeomerus
1 year 1 month ago

I don’t know FNORD what you are referring to.

1 year 1 month ago

Quiet! We’re trying to immanentize the Eschaton here !!

Radioactive

he is after all the Galactic Lord of Evil…note promotion

1 year 1 month ago

Why isn’t John Scalzi writing a post called “I’m not N. K. Jemisin”?

#DitchYourRacists

Joshua
1 year 1 month ago

Because maybe he is! And K. Tempest Bradford too!

1 year 1 month ago

Because only Right Wingers have guilt by association. Left Wingers simply denounce and move on.

And besides, N.K. Jemwhatsit has been “rehabilitated” back into the GoodThink fold. Poor strayed lamb, you meanies leave her/him/it alone!

Meanies!!!

Wes S.
1 year 1 month ago

Was Jemisin ever *out* of the fold?

Hell, they even welcomed back Requires Hate with open arms.

NKR
1 year 1 month ago

They have their narrative and they’re going to stick to it, Larry. They’re still saying SP is all about you wanting a Hugo when you turned down your nomination this year (for an outstanding and worthy book, I might add) and have stated unequivocally that you will never accept another nomination in the future. Yet they persist with their narrative.

It’s why their trolls are so witless. They’re more easily roused and sent in a direction but they don’t do well with conflicting information so they ignore all but the narrative of their masters. Thralls, the lot of them.

Please don’t let the assholes get you down.

1 year 1 month ago

Here’s something interesting from an editor at Tor-UK:

I pointed this out to someone who was crying “sexism in publishing” and even with hard numbers staring her in the face it was still “well, we’re not being given a chance” (and regoaled to “sexism in reviewing”).

Glah! What Aristotle said.

1 year 1 month ago

I like how she starts out explaining that she’s worried about getting attacked for speaking her mind and having an opinion.

And we were supposedly making that up.

Other than that… this difference in submission rates has been known/suspected not-a-secret for a long time. As in… everyone KNOWS that women tend to take on the “editor” role and reject their own work and so never actually send it out. (I got chewed out once for this “pre-rejection” usurpation of someone else’s job.)

The result is that the acceptance rates tend to be higher for women than men coming out of the slush.

Because men just jump in there and Do It. At least as a statistical thing. They either think they’re awesome, or they don’t put the same emotional weight on a rejection of their “baby” and just send the dumb thing out to see what happens. Who knows. Maybe you men can explain.

But women don’t (in general terms) behave like men.

Super funny (and to the topic of this “I am not Vox Day” post)… someone or other posting evil horrible sexist awful misogynist VD quotes the other day included (and I’m gonna paraphrase and mangle it) a quote to the effect of… Women decide to be an artist and the first thing they do is take an art appreciation course… Men decide to be an artist and just grab a paintbrush and start painting… probably boobies.

Rather than proof of misogyny I thought… Yeah… that is definitely one of the self-defeating things that women do. Men don’t make us do it. Maybe it’s just hormone prompted needs not to take social risks (rejection). But women DO this. For whatever reason they get tied up in the process and trying to be good enough before actually diving in and sending stuff out than men do.

Guy at my husband’s work (as an example) decided to write a fantasy… set up an author web site and is half way through writing his fantasy. I got social anxiety just *hearing* about it.

1 year 1 month ago

Those are pretty durn good insights, and very much my personal observations as well, across a number of species.

The root is basic biology. Once the male has reproduced nature doesn’t care if he gets himself killed — so there’s no selection pressure against just up and doing whatever idiocy comes into his head. But the female needs to live long enough to raise the next generation, so selection pressure has been more toward females that think everything through before they act.

Add the human social pressure to perform, and worst case, in guys you get the famous last words of “Hey Bubba, watch this!” and in gals you get terminal performance anxiety. But best case, you get exploration from the one and perfection from the other. (Ignoring for the moment that there’s also a lot of overlap.)

Fact is both traits have survival value and value to civilization, but it does mean that ‘performance’ in some venues will be skewed one way or the other, and no amount of angsting about equality will change biology.

Emily Nelson
1 year 1 month ago

So my performance anxiety is a survival trait and not a character flaw?

1 year 1 month ago

And now imagine it’s 1912 and Burroughs’ first story is published. The country of 90 million is 90% white, 90% of black folks are still living in the old South and somehow these daffy gender feminists think black folks and women are being turned out of SFF, which only had two or three magazines semi-regularly publishing SFF stories. There were plenty of magazines for women. It’s not exactly anyone’s fault women mostly didn’t buy SFF magazines.

Now fast forward to 1923 and 26. Weird Tales and Amazing Stories start – 2 full-time genre magazines now, and they barely survived, and the Astounding which followed in 1930 barely survived. Many parents thought the magazines so trashy they thought twice about their kids reading them.

A semi-boom starts around 1940 and instantly stops because of WW II. The boom resumes after WW II. 10 to 15 years later women start entering more and more. They are entering because they are TRYING to enter, not because they were being turned away. In all that time there is virtually NO hardcover publications of SF novels other than the SF Book Club which offered one low-rent book per month starting in 1953 and for 15 years when it finally increased that. SF paperbacks only get going in the early ’50s. 1946 to ’71 is only 25 years. Hell, that’s only back to 1990 today. These creepy people act like it was a locked gold mine for a couple of centuries. In fact SFF had no nationally respected reputation other than being mostly for kids and fringe lunatics.

Somehow these crazy intersectionalists act as if this was some national craze that included people out and should’ve had some United Nations-like demographic representation. The truth is SF was a ghetto even throughout the ’60s and didn’t even have a N.Y. Times best-seller until 1976. You can’t make up people who aren’t there and you can’t call people who were there women-hating racists merely for existing.

1 year 1 month ago

I saw someone on another blog (it was boring, didn’t bookmark it for notes) insisting that okay, so Larry Correia is right, Vox isn’t on Sad Puppies. BUT, she insisted, LARRY CORREIA HAS NOT SAID THAT VOX WASN’T INVOLVED IN THE PLANNING PROCESS! Proof of guilt!

Yep. Logic. It’s useful for more than making Vulcans seem weird.

1 year 1 month ago

Larry also didn’t say that he’s not a humaniform robot remote-controlled by Vox. And even if he did say it, it wouldn’t mean anything — he might just be a humaniform robot controlled by Vox, after all! :O

Zsuzsa
1 year 1 month ago

I’m pretty sure Larry Correia has also never said that he isn’t planning a ritual sacrifice of 17 rabbits to Sasquatch for every Sad Puppy nominee that gets the Hugo. Therefore, we must infer that he is, and vote “No Award” to save the bunnies!

keranih

I heard it was goats.

SusanM.
1 year 1 month ago

I heard it was fluffy kittens.

Doug Loss
1 year 1 month ago

Mmmm, fluffy kittens–the tastiest kind of kittens…

1 year 1 month ago

Ewoks. If only he’d sacrificed ewoks, everyone would be in agreement.

SDN
1 year 1 month ago

But if you sacrificed Ewoks Ace of Spades would be upset.

Grayson
1 year 1 month ago

What’s the PUFF bounty on Ewoks, anyway?

Douglas B. Killings
1 year 1 month ago

But I have it on good authority that Bunnies aren’t just cute like everybody supposes. After all, they’ve got them hoppy legs and twitchy little noses. And what’s with all the carrots? What do they need such good eyesight for anyway?

Lea

ISWYDT.

And since shortness isn’t allowed I’ll finish..

Bunnies! Bunnies it must be bunnies.

Justin Watson

Or maybe midgets.

greyratt
1 year 1 month ago

WAIT… you sacrifice the rabbits (goats, chickens, bunnies, fluffy kittens, etc.) BEFORE the vote to win the hugo. not afterwards. that is a celebration not a sacrifice.

Achillea
1 year 1 month ago

And remember you’re not allowed to burn them! small animals /= burning!

Kristophr
1 year 1 month ago

( hides the Flamenwerfer )

Joe in PNG
1 year 1 month ago

If you’re burning small animals, then you’re doing barbecue wrong.

Jim Gorcz
1 year 1 month ago

Sacrificing rabbits to Sasquatch? Oh geez, River Shoulders is going to be pissed. His people have enough stigmas already.

Rob Spalding
1 year 1 month ago

Was that the blog that went:
Vox is part of the Evil League of Evil, he even has a title.
The Puppies said the Evil League of Evil planned SP3.
They did not say that Vox was not part of the planning.
Therefore Vox was obviously part if the planning.
?

The logic there is flimsy at best.

Achillea
1 year 1 month ago

Aaaaand we’re back with not playing in traffic or setting small animals on fire.

Wes S.
1 year 1 month ago

Should I go ahead and put CM on standby…?

Emily Nelson

Wes you wrote:
“Should I go ahead and put CM on standby…?”

What is CM?

Achillea
1 year 1 month ago

Check out the comment thread here. Warning: be sure you’re somewhere you can laugh hysterically without anyone calling the guys from the local asylum.

SirShadesDrake
1 year 1 month ago

Achillea linked a recent incarnation. The original is here:

Could possibly be the greatest thread hijacking of all time, and explains why most citizens of Monster Hunter Nation respect / fear a Muppet ; )

sSD

Wes S.
1 year 1 month ago

Achillea, Drake, thanks for finding the links for me. I didn’t have time to respond to Emily last night, alas…

Kristophr
1 year 1 month ago

I now have a new appreciation of the cookie monster.

And here is furry operator singing with Rammstein:

Matthew
1 year 1 month ago

Damn, isn’t that going a bit overboard? That dude is *crazy*!

SSumner
1 year 1 month ago

Sorry to hear people don’t understand the concept of individual identity. Its stupid, excessively stupid and shouldn’t be falling in anyone’s lap.

Maybe someday people will realize that someone can enjoy one part of something(Vox’s novel) without that meaning that the person has to condone everything else from A-Z involving that person.

At least I can hope someday everyone can figure that out.

Sarah Hoyt
1 year 1 month ago

But people are widgets, that can be sorted by skin color and sexual preference and equipment! Within those groups they all think the same.
And of course you can’t enjoy someone’s work unless they rightthink and you agree with everything they say. Good Lord, Man, haven’t you been paying attention to the awards these last few years?
/sarcasm off.

Herb
1 year 1 month ago

Wait, wait, I thought you couldn’t sort by equipment because some people discover they have the wrong equipment and should be sorted as if they had they other equipment so you have to sort by equipment but not the actual equipment but the equipment they say they’re supposed to have.

I’m so confused.

windsong

Narrative always trumps reality. >.<

Sarah Hoyt
1 year 1 month ago

You’re making my head hurt, and I’m a woman. So you’re sexissssss and your argument is invalid.

Stephen St. Onge
1 year 1 month ago

Sarah Hoyt wins that exchange, but only by a hair.

1 year 1 month ago

Sarah, having heard your accent on that podcast the other day I’m adding it to your comments. And I must say, the results are absolutely hilarious.

That you’re saying what I’m thinking just makes it all the more hilarious. HoytSpeak. In my head. Bwahaha!!!!

1 year 1 month ago

It’s a form of obsessive-compulsive disorder, except instead of pigeonholing other stuff, they pigeonhole people. (And I’m being serious, sad to say.) And you can’t be pigeonholed until they’ve drilled down to your specific traits (if you’re blessed) or flaws (if you’re cursed) by which to be sorted. If you lack, frex, big racism, they have to keep at it until they find your little racism, cuz otherwise they don’t know how to pigeonhole you.

(With apologies to pigeons…)

Steven Francis Murphy
1 year 1 month ago

The truth doesn’t matter to The Opposition.

It is good to know where they stand. They’ve made themselves clear.

We are dinosaurs. We are not welcome. We are to be silenced. And if possible, destroyed.

It is as I always suspected. It is good to know where I stand.

And for that, Larry and Brad both, I thank you for your efforts.

Respects,
Steven Francis Murphy
On the Outer Marches

Mark Whipple

This this this!!!

AspiringTruFan
1 year 1 month ago

Please remember that the opposition isn’t the rest of us. I’ve been fighting these people quietly for years and losing.

Thanks for all of you that have brought the fight out into the light.

1 year 1 month ago

Thank you for reminding us that there are still some reasonable people over yonder. Now if they’d just stop being afraid to speak up…

SusanM.
1 year 1 month ago

If I’m to be a dinosaur I want to be a pteranodon with laser eyes.

Where do I go to have my reconstructive species reassignment surgery? I am pretty sure that Obamacare should pay for it. No one can expect me to stay trapped in the body of a cuddly grandma when I feel in my heart I was meant to soar above the clouds and lay burning waste to random villages.

Doug Loss
Expendable Henchman

Dear Times,

The highest part sticking up on a shark is called a:
“Dorsal Fin”

The head is the pointy part on the front with eyes and teeth.

Alpheus
1 year 1 month ago

I think a sequel to a famous work is in order: “Since you are a Dinosaur, My Love”.

Do you think it might get nominated for a Hugo?

1 year 1 month ago

Now that you’re a dinosaur my love, I’ll need some money to buy some Depends and size 57 open-toed shoes.

Lea

We are dinosaurs.

Hank jr was onto this year ago.

Wofmanjim

We are not dinosaurs.
We are Devo.

SirShadesDrake

nil carborundum illegitemi

60guilders
1 year 1 month ago

The sad thing is that you’ve been saying variations of this since I’ve been reading your blog, and people still won’t get it.

Rob Crawford
1 year 1 month ago

They get it, they just don’t care. Vox Day is too useful for them as a bludgeon.

Mark Whipple
1 year 1 month ago

Yep. As I have said previously, Vox is their last chance to make SP3 out to be haters. They can’t do it with the SP3 suggested works since there is way too much evidence that it is open minded and based on merit. They can now only lie about SP3 being linked to Vox.

chuck

use the Alinsky Playbook

I don’t think there is anything special about the Alinsky Playbook except, perhaps, that it is written down. It is basically instruction on how to be a manipulative asshole, and as such invents nothing new to history, politics, or the human condition.

Alan S.
1 year 1 month ago

The part that’s most amusing is that the Alinsky Playbook can basically be summarized as “Step outside of Civilized Rules and rally the mob to the flag of Barbarian!”

That’s Vox Day. Fire, meet fire.

Matthew House
1 year 1 month ago

And so, you too, are forced to renounce Vox Day. Maybe I’m not the sharpest spoon in the drawer, but your post looks an awful lot like a soviet era denoucing.

You are not, nor have you ever been, a supporter of Vox Day.

I’m not surprised it’s come to this.

It’s foing to get worse, too. I fully expect someone’s house to get burned down before this is over.

Matthew House
1 year 1 month ago

please note, previous post is meant to be sympathetic, not accusatory. I’m not a writer, I’m a grease monkey.

Taysha
1 year 1 month ago

My understanding of denouncing would be to trash the person being denounced.

Simply stating that one is not who one is being associated with is not quite URRS-level. I, too, would be sick of being told I’m evil becuase – Vox.

I’m sure Larry can come up with plenty of evil on his own.

Mark Whipple
1 year 1 month ago

I am sad and frustrated this has gone on for so long. It doesn’t matter how many times you say that you’re not Vox. They NEED to align you with him to keep this a scandal since they were unable to say you were a racist/homophobe/cat hater by your nominations. There is an orgy of evidence that the people you picked were from a diverse group so they have to hold on to the last thing they have to try and prove their false point. As I have said previously, they can’t get their whiny base to actually vote, they can only get their people to whine on social media. So expect this to continue until after the Hugos are announced.

1 year 1 month ago

“Also, I think it’s entirely unfair that you will not accept a nomination. If your work is good enough to stand out, it should be recognized.”

I agree with Mark Whipple, who sounds like a fine fellow.

Larry Correia should be up for whatever new award replaces the Hugos if or when the Social Justice Planeteers burn the award rather than let any unpersons win one.

Bruce

I second the motion!

Alligosh
1 year 1 month ago

We can call the new award “The Correia”, or perhaps “The Torgersen”.

in all seriousness, it could just be something like “The World’s Best SF/F”, though TWiBSFuF may not catch on all that well.

Doug Loss

Call it “The Heinlein.”

keranih
1 year 1 month ago

Or…(I don’t hate ‘The Heinlein’) – dig even deeper back, to da Vinci, perhaps.

Doug Loss
1 year 1 month ago

Really torque them off and call it “The Ringo” or “The Kratman.”

Steve Johnson

The Julie (Jules Verne)

Cataline Sergius
1 year 1 month ago

Sounds better than the, “Gernsback.”

Or for that matter, “Hugo the Rat.”

Which is what Hugo Gernsback was known as by his stable of unpaid writers.

It’s funny to me that the most prestigious writing award in SFF is named for man who was widely detested by so many of his writers.

Tiago Becerra Paolini
1 year 1 month ago

It should be called “The Wendell”.

Felix Bellator
1 year 1 month ago

The Roberts, for Heinlein and E. Howard.

1 year 1 month ago

I like Steve’s suggestion of The Julie.

(Since that’s my name.)

But really … Jules Verne… good choice.

Or go even farther back and call it the Illiad.

Zsuzsa
1 year 1 month ago

Want to second Tiago Becerra Paolini’s suggestion of the “Wendell.” The trophy should be a manatee on a pedestal, while joyous puppies frolic beneath it.

Matthew
1 year 1 month ago

The “What a Rush” award – since that’s what one should be thinking after reading a winner.

Danby

No no no no no.
It should be the Big-Eyed Puppy

Christopher M. Chupik
1 year 1 month ago

“By your entitlement combined, I am Captain Hugo!”

Joseph Capdepon II
1 year 1 month ago

You should as well John. Count to a Trillion was amazing.

Awake in the Nightlands was just fantastic. It was the first time in a very long time that something like that has had any effect on me.

1 year 1 month ago

Your thanks are the only award I ned, Mr Capdepon. Thank you.

Wes S.
1 year 1 month ago

“Awake In The Night Lands” was the first thing I read by Mr. Wright; indeed, it was one of the first books I bought for my Kindle, based solely on Internet buzz.

And yes, it blew me away. High-octane nightmare fuel, written in prose with an antique beauty reminiscent of Lovecraft at his best, but without Lovecraft’s nihilism.

That was the book that made me a fan. I’ve been reading him ever since.

Brian
1 year 1 month ago

It is time for a new award anyway.

Basset hound holding a kukri in her jaws staring mournfully up at you. The ultimate Sad Puppy.