Ice Bucket Challenge for ALS

I was challenged by Super Author Jonathan Maberry to do the ice water challenge to raise money for ALS. I’d seen something about it online, but didn’t now what the deal was. Apparently you do it, and then challenge three people who have 24 hours to do it to, or they donate money to ALS research.

As those of you who read this blog know, I’m always willing to do stupid crap for charity! I didn’t do it within 24 hours (last day of summer vacation and taking the kids mini golfing was far too important) but I did it this morning. So I am happy to be donating money.

In turn I challenged International Film and Television Star Nick Searcy, Comic Book Legend Chuck Dixon, and because Super Author Jim Butcher threw a cup at me on Saturday I’m throwing a bucket at him. :)

Salt Lake ComicCon - Booth and preliminary schedule
No, Tor.com, GenCon Isn’t Racist. A Fisking.

32 Comments on "Ice Bucket Challenge for ALS"

Wes S.

Holy shrinkage, Batman!

1 year 12 days ago

I do have to marvel at how illogical people are. Instead of giving money you waste clean water so you can challenge other people to give money or take the ice bucket. Why not skip the vid and water dumping and just give money while challenging 3 other people to also give money?

Apparently we humans like a challenge to the point that logic is cast aside and as Forbes has noted (http://www.forbes.com/sites/matthewherper/2014/08/19/think-the-ice-bucket-challenge-is-stupid-youre-wrong/) bring in $15.6 million for the ALS Association, which is considerably more than it’s usual intake.

Power too it. Hope you enjoyed the Ice shower. I know I do.

1 year 12 days ago

Eh. I waste more “clean water” when I flush the toilet than I used when I did the challenge. I also made sure to encourage people to donate as well as dump.

Donate, because really, that’s what this is for.

Dump, because it’s silly fun, and it would be churlish not to participate if challenged. If you want to bring in some headology, this gives people an excuse to be silly and connect with others at a time when the world can seem very dark and serious and divided.

NKR
1 year 12 days ago

Everything can be seen as a waste to a killjoy.

My dear friend is suffering from ALS and has enjoyed following the challenge immensely.

Thanks, Larry, for helping.

Andrew
1 year 12 days ago

It’s not illogical at all. It’s a clever marketing tool designed to get people to tune in to a cause by watching humorous antics conducted by others. It’s a bit like a charity dunking booth, but better, because it leverages various human impulses to amplify the power of their networks. Further, it relies on specifically calling out people, so there’s an element of challenge, honor, and courage.

I think it’s brilliant.

junior
1 year 12 days ago

There are some claims that this is making the current California drought worse than it would otherwise be. I don’t know how accurate that is (I wouldn’t think it was using *that* much water), but it’s something to consider if you live in that state.

Andrew
1 year 12 days ago

People making such claims are the worst sort of killjoy, and quite possibly, just bad people.

1 year 12 days ago

My initial reaction was that some people will believe anything, especially when being scolded about “the environment!”. Then I read Larry’s nice break-out of the actual numbers, and I’m about to post it on Facebook, so I don’t have to constantly, and in exasperation, go explain it to other people.

Dianna
1 year 12 days ago

Oh, my. This has been fun to watch spread!

Book
1 year 12 days ago

You know, this challenge doesn’t seem all that challenging. How hard is it to pour ice water over your head? I’m just saying. We should make it harder. With, like, an obstacle course and maybe monkeys or something.

I did enjoy that “Refreshing!” at the end! LOL

1 year 12 days ago

You want a harder contest? How about the bear mace waterboarding challenge for veteran’s suicide awareness?

1 year 12 days ago

“How hard is it to pour ice water over your head?”
Apparently, harder than you might think:

The Moose is wet.

1 year 12 days ago

That sounds like a Secret Service radio codephrase, “The Moose is wet, repeat, the Moose is wet!” :-D

Brian Marshall
1 year 12 days ago

That was great fun, can’t wait to watch Jim Butcher Curse you :)

Heee~ if/when Butcher does this I hope Larry links the video!

Joe

One of the things I dearly hoped I’d never see was a wet Larry Correia :(

oldnfo
1 year 12 days ago

Good one Larry, thanks for stepping up!

[…] the International Lord of Hate, Larry Correia, did the challenge after being nominated by another author (and half his […]

Ascher Goodrich
1 year 12 days ago

The International Lord of Hate does a challenge for… charity? This doesn’t sound evil at all. I refuse to believe it.

He is probably just trying to give Jim Butcher hypothermia.

Tim McDonald
1 year 11 days ago

This started back in the winter with a bunch of cowboys challenging each other. To jump in lakes and creeks from the back of their hosses. In the middle of winter. Originally, it was donate 10 and dunk yourself, or donate 100. Cowboys tend to be cash poor, so it was indeed a challenge. As I recall, when my daughter did it back in the winter, it was for the childhood diabetes foundation, as that is where her heart is.

Anyway, it is a good thing, and brings attention to some good causes. Go Larry!

rosered1200
1 year 11 days ago

You sir are awesome!

1 year 11 days ago

I wonder what expletives you uttered as soon as the camera stopped recording…;)

1 year 11 days ago

Hey Jim Butcher responded… nice! http://youtu.be/kJMBzllbhLI

Wahahahahaha! Who dumped all that water on him? They seemed to be having lots of fun.

Fruitbat44
1 year 9 days ago

Thanks for the link. LOL

Fruitbat44
1 year 9 days ago

Kudos to anyone who can pour a bucket of ice-water over themselves and comment, “Refreshing!”

Well done.

jabrwok
1 year 9 days ago

Huh. I’ve been mis-pronouncing your name all this time. I thought it was Kor-EH-uh, not Kor-EE-uh. Learn something new every day:-).

Better than me. I’ve been saying it ‘Kor-Ray-ee-ah.’ <.<;;

(Hey, Gaiman's name gets constantly mispronounced I hear…)