Geeky Hobbies: Still Cheaper than 3gun

So I’ve been rearranging my office. My wife and I took a trip down to Ikea and bought 800 pounds of shelving for $870. (IKEA: Furniture by the Pound). Luckily for me the lovely Mrs. Correia considers Ikea furniture grown up legos and put them all together in a few hours.

I was tired of my mini painting stuff cluttering up my writing desk, plus it was a pain in the ass to have to move stuff whenever I wanted to work. So I put together a painting station.

Office-painting station

Since I was moving everything around I figured I would organize my painted minis. I stuck all of my Warmachine Mercenary army in one spot, and that made me realize… Holy moly… I’ve almost collected them all. And then I got a notice that Miniature’s Market was having a 40% sale… This next part will be gibberish to most of you, but Warmachine people will get it. So as of yesterday I now have every single Mercenary, minion who will work for a mercenary contract, and ally. Achievement unlocked.

Office-total mercs

I figure I’m about 40% painted.

And since I’m taking pictures, here is the rest of my painted Warmachine. I’ve got a bit from every faction and a bunch of things that I use for IKRPG.

Office-all factions

EDIT: added for hosting purposes

Black Friday Loot

Hugo Aftermath Post
The Drowning Empire, Episode 59: Battle of Waterfall Temple

50 Comments on "Geeky Hobbies: Still Cheaper than 3gun"

Jeff
Jeff
2 years 1 month ago

Is that the new Bones Cthulhu on the top shelf? I got one a couple of weeks ago, haven’t painted it yet. Also, I went over to Miniature Market, and the “Mr. Graves” in the Malifeaux line on their front page is exactly how I pictured Franks, only he’d have a big handgun or RPG instead of a 4×4. Maybe someday a kickstarter for MHI and Grimnoir minis? πŸ™‚

Suicidal Idiot
Suicidal Idiot
2 years 1 month ago

If Warmachine hasn’t yet made MHI and Grimnoir ‘inspired’ figures, they’re idiots.

Which is more likely:
A: Larry complains weakly, while buying the entire production run with an alias?

B: Larry has a screaming nerdgasm, posts bragging pics, and we the Legion that can’t say no, buy them all?

I want a Mr Trashbags holding Julie by an ankle.

ashley858
2 years 1 month ago

I would be so all over MHI figures, and I don’t usually do 28mm, being a 6mm/10 and 15mm kind of gal, but MHI.

bluesun
2 years 1 month ago

I moved last winter and the painting stuff all got packed away, so over the weekend I set up a new desk. I was feeling kinda proud of myself but now… “I’m not worthy!”

richard mcenroe (@richard_mcenroe)

Honestly, why can’t you get into a mature, grown-up hobby like Mechwarrior online? *g*

(www.mwomercs.com)

Murphy7
2 years 1 month ago

Nah, the painting options there are mostly terrible! πŸ™‚

There should be an MHI group there, for certain.

Radioactive
Radioactive
2 years 1 month ago

Does she use Gorilla Glue in the assembly, I’ve found the IKEA stuff works much better and lasts longer

2 years 1 month ago

BTW, even though Gorilla Glue foams up, it is NOT gap filling. Foamed glue is weak. It’s only strong where it doesn’t have room. Matt Wandel proved that on YouTube with a series of experiments, and he got a letter from Gorilla Glue saying “Yup, you’re right.” If you need to glue with gaps, especially in particle board, good old yellow carpenter’s glue is the stuff. But if the furniture has paper lamination on it, nothing is gonna help you.

Radioactive
Radioactive
2 years 1 month ago

The only thing better than 3-gun is 3-gun and a hand grenade.

Bruce
Bruce
2 years 1 month ago

I’ve only shot a few club 3-gun matches, but…I think Radioactive is onto something there…:)

2 years 1 month ago

Care to estimate how much you’ve spent on minis and paint, Larry? Or are you of the “if it’s not documented, it can’t be audited” mentality?

J. Wlas
J. Wlas
2 years 1 month ago

40% painted!? That’s about right. Possession is 9/10s the hobby.

junior
junior
2 years 1 month ago

So when’s the next mercenary figure scheduled for release?

πŸ˜›

Charles Shirk
Charles Shirk

Posted a link to this in a message on the The Miniatures Page

tuco
tuco
2 years 1 month ago
Miniature Market still has a lot of the IKRPG-specific minis that were discontinued a few years back when not all of them were given Merc stats for MK2. The prices on them are dirt cheap, too. I picked up a good few a couple of weeks ago, some for less than $4. If you’re running the IKRPG, you never know when you might need some of those. That’s how I rationalized it anyway. The fact that I’m not running an IKRPG game at the moment, nor playing in one, nor the fact that of the five guys in the gaming… Read more »
Brian
Brian
2 years 1 month ago

That is one helluva collection. Reminds me of the days when we used to play D&D and would buy a few figurines for our characters. One day we were talking about what to use for all of the monsters and I had an idea. Next game day I walked in with three big bags of plastic army men. The guys all laughed at me but damn if we didn’t use them from that day on. Oh yeah, does anyone want to buy a sack full of D&D dice? Cheap….

James T
James T

Cheaper than 3 -gun? I guess you never played Warhmer FB or 40K. ^_^

junior
junior
2 years 1 month ago
GW is horribly overpriced. Every time I start to consider getting back into WH Fantasy or 40K, I just drop by GW’s online store page. That pretty much instantly kills my interest in the games. War Machine figures can be somewhat similarly daunting price-wise ($44 for 10 Space Wolf Grey Hunters vs $55 for 10 Cygnar Trencher Infantry) , but you don’t need anywhere near as many figures to build an army with. Also, iirc Warmachine’s Warjacks tend to cost significantly less than GW’s similarly sized Dreadnoughts. Do price comparisons with other miniatures companies – particularly companies that do historicals,… Read more »
tuco
tuco
2 years 1 month ago
I love me some miniatures games, but the appeal of GW’s product line for me started to wane when they dropped all support for Necromunda and Mordheim. I’ve been quite happily playing Warmachine/Hordes since right around the time of the release of Escalation. Seeing what 40k has become recently with crap like that Imperial Knights “codex” that has one effing model and a price tag of $50 for the “codex” only reassures me that I made the right choice. I’m looking at Infinity right now. I can get a starter force for roughly $50, and the rules are all free… Read more »
junior
junior
2 years 1 month ago

You might also like SAGA, which is a Viking-era warband-based historical miniatures game. It was just recently expanded into the Crusades era with an updated rulebook under the name “The Crescent and The Cross”.

oldnfo
oldnfo

LOL, I’m beginning to think you ‘might’ need an intervention there Larry… πŸ™‚

Fail Burton
Fail Burton
2 years 1 month ago

All you need now is a scale model aircraft carrier as big as two station wagons and Mitsubishi Zeroes painted Kabuki-style. And, um… don’t forget the blimps… with giant leering faces painted on the sides.

And gatling guns. Lot’s of gatling guns.

junior
junior
2 years 1 month ago

You might want to check out Dystopian Wars, by Spartan Games. Some of the nations in that game have giant zeppelin warships – including carriers.

The Japanese, on the other hand, have a giant heli-carrier.

tuco
tuco
2 years 1 month ago

I love the scale and models of Dystopian Wars. The models themselves are really rewarding if you’re into fast painting techniques like base-coat and two or three drybrush coats. The new version of the rules are pretty good. I just can’t get my gaming group to buy into another minis game. Oh well, I guess I had kids for a reason…

Fail Burton
Fail Burton
2 years 1 month ago

Have you ever tried using silver instead of white as a basecoat?

Mike_C
Mike_C

the lovely Mrs. Correia considers Ikea furniture grown up legos
Nej! Nej! Ikea is Swedish, Legos are Danish.The two must not mix! (Øresund Bridge be damned.) Norway is a different matter.

John A
John A
2 years 1 month ago
This is a bit off topic (well, ancillary to 3 gun), but if you are bored some day (unlikely given your schedule) would you consider a blog post about firearm maintenance protocols? For example, I recall reading you ran an insane amount of shells through an 870. How often do you clean the trigger group? Do you Gun Scrubber/brake cleaner to bare metal and call it a day? Strategic application of oil or light grease? Corrosion X the whole thing then blow off the excess with compressed air? It is always nice to pick the brain of someone with a… Read more »
Dorothy Grant
2 years 1 month ago

Cheaper than 3 gun… Yeah, in this household we use “cheaper than rebuilding airplanes”, but we know exactly what you mean. Looks awesome!

Shadowdancer Duskstar / Cutelildrow

I was gazing rather longingly at his new painting station. I’d love to have someplace like that if I ever got brave enough to start doing garage kits!

Bagronk
2 years 1 month ago

You know, a lot of fantasy/scifi writers are ashamed of being nerds and don’t do anything nerdy because it’s not as hipster as writing ironic scifi novels. I have a new respect for you, sir, for displaying your mini collection and dropping a chunk of change to accommodate it. Today I shall buy one of your novels.

Shadowdancer Duskstar / Cutelildrow

Well, now I don’t feel so guilty about ordering a couple of figures to the point that I’m not gonna be able to order any more till next year. *grin* I should probably rearrange the ones I do have at present though.

Jeff
Jeff
2 years 1 month ago

Since there are no official MHI or Grimnoir figures, is there any mini-savvy person out there who could start a list of “stand-in” figures? The Malifeaux Mr. Graves could be Franks, there are the dirigibles in Dystopian Wars…

2 years 1 month ago

You prime with white? Okay, getting the highlights to pop better makes sense, but doesn’t that wreck havoc with your shading in recesses?

junior
junior

——————-

Regarding that bit…

Since Cephalyx just got released, does that mean that the above no longer applies?