The Naive Idiocy of Teaching Rapists Not To Rape

Believe it or not, I actually know a bit about beauty pageants. Yes, I know it doesn’t fit my image, but bear with me. Back in college I went out with Miss Utah State and attended several of these things. One thing that I learned was that despite the stereotypes about the dumb beauty queen, most of these women were very smart. Capable, intelligent women understand the need to take responsibility for their own safety.

So Miss Nevada was doing the Q&A for the Miss America pageant and said something that caused the Perpetually Outraged to get their outrage on.

“I believe that some colleges may potentially be afraid of having a bad reputation and that would be a reason it could be swept under the rug, because they don’t want that to come out into the public,”Nia Sanchez said. “But I think more awareness is very important so women can learn how to protect themselves. Myself, as a fourth-degree black belt, I learned from a young age that you need to be confident and be able to defend yourself. And I think that’s something that we should start to really implement for a lot of women.”

The internet then exploded with its typical impotent fist shaking fury. Now, normal, not insane people may be confused as to what Miss Nevada said that was so outrageous, but here is a helpful glimpse into the brains of various Twitter lemmings.

How did she win after that awful and offensive answer? Idiot—
Cait Cremeens (@CaitCremeens) June 09, 2014

I’m sorry, but women shouldn’t need to take self defense classes to protect themselves from rape #MissUSA—
Peter Simon (@PeterSimon12) June 09, 2014

Let’s hope Nevada uses her media tour to reiterate that teaching girls self defense is NOT the best way to protect against assault #MissUSA

Miss Nevada, who just reinforced victim-blaming rape culture to millions of viewers, is crowned #MissUSA 2014.—
šīrīn
šəʿ (@shereenTshafi) June 09, 2014

Miss Nevada was asked about rape at colleges and answered that women need to learn to defend themselves… OR MEN COULD JUST NOT RAPE.

8:55 PM – 8 Jun 2014

Yeah. Try to wrap your brain around that shit. The answer to violent crime isn’t to do things to protect yourself from the criminal, but to WISH for the criminal not to exist at all… Good luck with that.

In the same spirit as other useless feel-good/do-nothing LibProg hastag campaigns like #bringbackourgirls http://monsterhunternation.com/2014/05/08/operation-pouty-face/ somebody started #yesallwomen, which mostly consists of shrieking about how all women are victims and all men are inherently evil, misogyny is everywhere, and any conservative women who disagree are stupid, so you know, the usual.

One of the favorite topics of the #yessallwombyns crowd is rape. Rape is an evil crime. Regardless of where you fall on the political spectrum we can all agree that rape is bad. Everybody who isn’t a scumbag criminal would like to see it end. The difference is that conservatives live in reality where human nature and history demonstrate that wishful thinking is useless, and libprogs live in a fantasy wonderland where the idea of fighting back against rapists is somehow bad and the real problem is that somebody just needed to teach rapists not to rape.

Not happy w/ Miss Nevada’s answer that to stop rape we should teach women to defend themselves…Why don’t we teach men to not rape?—
Kelsey Bemus (@KelseyBemus) June 09, 2014

Miss Nevada described how individuals need to protect themselves from rape, instead of teaching others not to rape. Stop the victim blaming.—
Haley Ploucha (@hallepalouka) June 09, 2014

A note on “victim blaming” that I got from author Mike Williamson. If I teach my kids to look both ways before crossing the street so they don’t get hit by cars, am I victim blaming?

So a danger exists, but recognizing that danger exists and doing reasonable things to combat it is blaming the victim…  I don’t know why we’re wasting all this money on police, when we should just teach all criminals not to crime.

Miss Nevada saying rape can be prevented by women learning self defense and being “confident”

Miss Nevada

Chuck Dixon on FOX News tonight
Hard Magic makes #19 on the Audible Essentials list

690 Comments on "The Naive Idiocy of Teaching Rapists Not To Rape"

Paul (Drak Bibliophile) Howard
Paul (Drak Bibliophile) Howard

What a bunch of morons (but I may be insulting morons).

John

The Moron’s lawyers will be in contact with you! 😀

Kristophr

All Morons attend rape classes. I fondly remember my first AoS rape class. Classic fun!

The best way to avoid rape is to have pointy elbows.

sanfordbegley
sanfordbegley

But Larry, self defense doesn’t address the issue of rape culture. If the woman defends herself and doesn’t get raped then they can’t use it as a case to attack good law abiding me for being rapists

rufus3698
Exactly. What’s happening now is the re-run of the “Take back the night” stuff that started in the 70s but was becoming the default recruitment method in the early 90s. I was on a university campus then and the Womyn’s center and the university were requiring both men and women to attend what amounted to “Come to Jesus” meetings where feminist dogma was preached in the name of stopping rape. These were led by womyn who claimed to have the “absolute moral authority” of being previously raped. An interesting claim since there was roughly one rape/yr at that particular campus.… Read more »
thewriterinblack
One bit of obfuscation that the Perpetually Outraged Everybody’s A Victim crowd likes to engage in is lumping all sexual assaulters into one bucket, even though it is a complicated subject with several different types of offenders. Didn’t you know? “Rape is rape.” Unless, of course, it’s Roman Planski drugging and anally raping an underage girl then it’s “not rape, rape.” These folk spin so hard they meet themselves coming. And, so, some of the comments I’ve made: Teach men not to rape? Two center of mass and one to the head gets the idea across quite effectively. Fire extinguishers?… Read more »
david mills
david mills

Of course there is the group that thinks all sex is rape.

They’re doing it wrong.

Tarl
Tarl

That’s the group so fat / ugly / strident they ain’t getting any. =)

Shadowdancer Duskstar / Cutelildrow
Theres a group of feminists who also scream about beautiful women being submissive to the patriarchy. It doesn’t matter what those women achieve, or whether they do it on their own merit. The fact they’re ‘beautiful’ = men will make their life easier for them. The ‘ugly’ ones were the only true women, for any love from a man they got meant they ‘got it from falling in love with their inner self’ not the ‘outer shell.’ The snarling hate I had for the implication that beautiful women should wash their faces in acid to prove their worth is one… Read more »
pohjalainen
At least in my country I have seen claims, from time to time, that pedestrians should not be asked to be careful and the responsibility to avoid hitting anyone is always solely the driver’s, and only the driver’s. They usually come up when some hapless driver has the audacity to suggest on some forum that perhaps it actually would be a good idea for those pedestrians to really do things like look both ways before stepping on the crosswalk. And that maybe all drivers aren’t always without failing constantly vigilant superhumans who always notice everything so it’s would be a… Read more »
thewriterinblack

I’m not saying we should kill all the stupid people. I’m just saying we should remove all the warning labels and let things sort themselves out.

Wayne Blackburn

They must have been reading The Mote in God’s Eye. That’s the way the mediator they were walking with said it worked.

Dan Lane
Dan Lane

Not just your country. Here, I had to explain to a new (read: absolutely no experience whatsoever) Safety Supervisor that forklifts have built-in blind spots. Cut short, my argument was “safety is everyone’s responsibility. You hire adults. For what the company is paying you should expect them to have the common sense God gave a baby duck, at the least.”

__
__

“Two center of mass and one to the head gets the idea across quite effectively”…ok, so any girl in a bar just has to beat every man unconscious in order to make it clear she does not want to be drugged and fucked while passed out ? rape is not always a guy with a knife. And if the girl is in a weelchair ? she is by default always ok for sex because if she is not ok she would have knocked him ?

jabrwok
jabrwok

“Two center of mass and one to the head gets the idea across quite effectively” refers to bullet placement. Even girls in wheelchairs can point guns.

blottogg

Guys, too. I train with one during our weekly “Choir Practice” sessions with our instructor. He does just fine, though the added up angle means he has to watch the head shots so he doesn’t put one in the acoustic baffles.

T.L. Knighton

Nice straw men you’ve got there. Build them yourself, or did you borrow them from someone else?

Achillea

I see reading comprehension is not one of your strengths, blankie. You really whupped ass on that strawman, though.

thewriterinblack

Thanks for the comments, folks. I really wasn’t up to wading in again–barrel still cooling from the last round. 😉

The Phantom
Dear ___, Are you deliberately being obtuse, or is it an involuntary neural disorder? You don’t want to get drugged and raped in a bar, COVER YOUR DRINK. Or, you know, take some trustworthy backup with you. Because otherwise, you are easy meat. All the “education” in the entire world is not going to deter Mr. Date Rape one tiny bit. Sticking a gun in his face might. If you can’t, or won’t, you should have a friend who can and will. Or is that victim blaming? Oh, and is there some reason why chicks in wheelchairs -shouldn’t- have a… Read more »
Andy
Andy

We’re through the looking glass here, people. It’s a mad house! A mad house!!!

Oh, I stumbled across a video game you might find interesting: http://nonadecimal.com/site/socialjusticewarriors/

Am I misunderstanding this? It sounds like the game creator is Pro-SJWs?

Andy
Andy

Hell, I don’t know. I just think the existence of it is kind of funny 🙂

Andrew
Andrew

It appears to be a game that allows you to pretend to be a person pretending to do something by yammering on the internet. I get the idea of a game that lets you pretend to be awesome…but this is pretty lame.

Guess
Guess

There is a free one called liberal crime squad at bay12games.com. This is the creator of dwarf fortress. It’s a lot better that this one.

My god, their stupid, it BURNS…..

My 15-year-old daughter asked me last week if she could go to kickboxing classes now that school is out. I said “Hell, yes! If they offer self-defense classes, those too! Do they have Krav Maga classes?” The surprised look on her face was priceless.

That was actually funny. I’d allow the same when the time comes.

My oldest daughter is seven and I’ve already warned her not to trust grownups other than me and her mom. It comes down to the same rationale for teaching self-defense. There is no way in hell I’m gonna set my daughter free in this world protected only by wishful thinking. That redefines moronic behavior.

William O. B'Livion
William O. B'Livion

I just picked my 7 year old up from Krav class.

She has three rules where fighting are concerned:

1) Never hit first (she’s seven. When she’s got more understanding this rule will change).
2) Always hit back. Always.
3) Get a knockout, get an icecream.

“3) Get a knockout, get an icecream.”

That’s awesome! “Ice cream is for closers!” 😀

Kristophr

Get the girl a real leather jacket and some engineer-style steel-toed motorcycle boots. Armor and weapons you can get away with wearing at school.

Blond_Engineer
Blond_Engineer

My parents put me in martial arts when I hit high school and told me I couldn’t date until I got at least my green belt. Certainly there’s other benefits than knowing how to block blows, gouge eyes, kick groins, or break knees, but those were the ones uppermost in my parents’ thoughts at the time.

Shadowdancer Duskstar / Cutelildrow

If only it burned only them though…!

Nicole
Nicole

Idiots. I can’t even grasp how the brain like blobs in those people’s heads function. I believe I will keep my daughter in martial arts and prepare her to take care of evil should it trouble her. I just wish I knew at what age most parents start taking their kids to the range.

david mills
david mills

6 or 7 with strict supervision, 9 with her own gun imo

Bruce
Bruce
I shot my first rounds at 4 or 5. The first trip was part of the “this is what happens when you shoot something with a firearm, and this is why firearms are NOT toys and are always treated as if they are loaded” training. Somewhere between that and 6 or 7, when I got my first shotgun (20 gauge, and I still have it), there were several trips to the range where I learned how to shoot accurately – the safe handling stuff happened at home. I was also the 4th child, and not the first that was trained… Read more »
Geodkyt
Geodkyt

Depends on the kid. If she’s ready to follow instructions UNQUESTIONINGLY AND IMMEDIATELY (for safety reasons), and big enough to hold the gun and pull the trigger (physics), she’s old enough. I don;t care if she’s 5 or 15.

If she’s not ready, it doesn’t matter if she’s 15 or 50.

Ree1
Ree1

I was 8 when my dad put a .357 in my hand… If you think your kid is old enough to understand, teach them!

CombatMissionary
CombatMissionary

I set up a BB gun range in my backyard. Santa brought Daisy Pink Carbines and Daisy Bucks. The kids all wear safety glasses and are quickly learning safe handling while ventilating Shoot-N-C zombie targets. They won’t learn any younger!

david mills
david mills

If you take the time and make the investment to defend your self, and I don’t, then that makes me feel bad. So of course you should not make me feel like i’m lazy or helpless, and you should just be a victim too. Because it’s never my fault, it’s the fault of someone else, like the government, except for Obama, Just hold hands and visualize Unicorns. Don’t think about yucky stuff.

freeholder45

A lot of the opposition to home-schooling has the same basis — some people don’t want to go that much work with their children, but if you do home-school your kids, it makes them look bad, so they don’t want anybody to be able to do it.

Joel Salomon

And of course shooting a rapist has one great advantage over (to choose a completely random example) pushing a rapist over a ten-foot wall: When you shoot him, you know he’s dead; fifty years later, you won’t be worried that you might have left him alive to hurt somebody.

jnials

Let the people say: AMEN!.

As the father of a teenage daughter, I taught her early on (read: 9 years old) where to kick the guy for most effect, and various other dirty tricks I never taught my boys. I also taught her to take responsibility, be assertive, and don’t take crap from anyone just because she is a girl. As a result, most of the boys are either her best friends or afraid her.

The fact that her three older brothers are either huge (like @correia45 huge), or study MMA doesn’t hurt.

CombatMissionary
CombatMissionary

You should put her in MMA as well. Knowing how to snap ankles, break collarbones, destroy elbows, gouge out eyes, do throat strikes etc. are all useful for girls. The primary philosophy should be “Engage to disengage; but while engaging, do permanently damaging and immediately disabling destructive violence.”

keranih
keranih

Women shouldn’t need to learn to protect themselves against rape #missnevada educate and respect yourself as a woman #rapeculture

…Right. And as an adult woman – generally not the weakest, smallest, or drunkest thing in my immediate vicinity – self-defense classes are also very good at helping me get skills to help protect other people.

You know, for the times when I am not the victimest victimy victim in the room.

It’s like these people are going out of their way to draw a box that says “self-responsible free citizens inside” and then lock it, with themselves on the outside.

Shadowdancer Duskstar / Cutelildrow

I’m okay with them locking themselves outside – the proverbial zombies can get them that way. The problem is they aren’t limiting it to themselves.

keranih
keranih
Yeah. Not carrying so much for the Sisterhood, if that is it. (I am still shaking my head over this. When women (or anyone) look at the world, and only see people bigger than themselves, who might deal out abuse, and ignore the people smaller than themselves, who might need protection, there was something wrong with their upbringing.) (Logic dictates that the medium person figure out how to enlist the larger person in protection of the smaller person. Except, duh, that’s traditional human society. It seems that many people would rather create a new world where all abandon the weakest,… Read more »
keranih wrote: ” I don’t get it. Who raised these people?” I think you’ll find most of them came from single-parent households where dad was out of the picture (mom was either divorced or never married). And single mothers usually don’t have much time for their kids while trying to hold down a job, which means handing the kids off to one daycare center after another. (Some of those daycare centers have names like “____ville Public High School”.) Which means the answer to “Who raised these people?” is “the State”. Which, in turn, explains a lot. When you criticize the… Read more »
Shadowdancer Duskstar / Cutelildrow

Yeah… I can see that. No wonder they also hold parents who actually parent in such dripping contempt. Seething jealousy at seeing what they should have had.

Arwen Riddle

@Robin Munn. That’s so sad and it makes perfect sense.

keranih
keranih

Robin – yeah. That does make sense. And my heart hurt.

Ygolonac
Ygolonac

Learning (or advocating) self-defense is not “blaming the victim”.

It’s straight-up announcing “FUCK YOU! I’m not going to BE a victim!”

Jeff Gauch
Jeff Gauch

And THAT is the problem. Without a significant portion of the populace seeing themselves as victims, the SJW’s won’t won’t have anyone to look up to them. They’d have to rely on their talents and intelligence to get respect. IOW, they’d be screwed.

Shadowdancer Duskstar / Cutelildrow

Social version of Munschausen by proxy? Yeah that idea fits.

“I will not submit”? *grin*

Wayne Blackburn

Ah, but it’s also announcing that you don’t trust the Government to protect you, and that cannot be borne.

Joe Huffman
I think the mindset you describe is extremely harmful and out of touch with reality. But I do sort of understand it. It is a cultural thing. They view taking responsibility for your own self-defense as “joining the cult of individualism”. They view rapists as someone in “the collective” who hasn’t been sufficiently indoctrinated. If only the collective had more power… Individualist are opposed to giving more power to the collective hence we, by our very nature, are opposed to what they view as a force for good. Giving individual women the power to defend themselves distinguishes them from the… Read more »
Ascher Goodrich
Ascher Goodrich

So they believe rapists are just people who are mentally strong enough to resist the collective hive mind and that the only solution is a more powerful hive mind? If that’s what your saying, it’s an interesting thought. Although, I am pretty sure they truly believe rape is somehow institutionalized. They are just arrogant people who refuse to admit they might possibly be wrong about something.

Joe Huffman

My hypothesis is they believe individualist “only think of what is good for themselves” and hence are predisposed to rape. Rapists need to think of what is good for the collective instead of what is good for themselves. To the extent that “institutions” encourage/allow individualists a culture of rape has been institutionalized.

Fail Burton

This just all logical gibberish to pre-convict men as a group of immoral crimes. It’s the exact same mechanism we’re seeing in SFF. You create a scarecrow, you scapegoat men, next thing you know look who’s winning the Nebula Awards.

That’s one thing, but in larger America culture this is plain dangerous, because the logical end game isn’t some awards, but discriminatory laws.

wyldewoody

Reblogged this on Wyldewoody musings and commented:
Important stuff

frompennsyltucky
Honestly, this pisses me off so much! These are the SAME PEOPLE who claim to be able to “take care” of themselves, you know, they don’t “need” a man…but they sure don’t want to take ownership of protecting themselves. It is sooooo much easier to expect EVERYONE around them to change and then whine when it doesn’t occur. Newsflash: a criminal does not care whether you have “educated” yourself on the “rape culture”. Where exactly is this pink little crime-free world supposed to come from? And how in the hell is making sure that you can defend yourself as a… Read more »
Martialartsmama
Martialartsmama

That is brilliant! I already love posting pictures of me at my tae kwon do classes, and now adding #notaf-ingvictim will make posting them that much more fun!

saintonge235
frompennsyltucky wrote: “Honestly, this pisses me off so much! These are the SAME PEOPLE who claim to be able to ‘take care’ of themselves, you know, they don’t ‘need’ a man…but they sure don’t want to take ownership of protecting themselves.” Yup. Back in the late seventies, I researched rape for a college class, and found out that about half of all rapes that occurred in the U.S. involved a man breaking into the home of a single woman, and about another ten percent started with a man hiding in the back seat of a woman’s car and ambushing her… Read more »
Quilly

Putting a lock on your door means you support burglary.

Tarl
Tarl

If you leave your wallet on the front doorstep and someone steals it, that is the thief’s fault, not yours! We must teach people not to steal!

Kristophr

( socialist think ) It’s your fault for having more money than the theif, and not freely giving it to him, you capitalist pig.

DaveP.
DaveP.

Kris, I remember the ’70s and that’s almost verbatim the attitude the ‘elites’ had about crime.

Kristophr

I was born in ’61. Been there, got the t-shirt.

Alpheus
Alpheus
Actually, it *is* the thief’s fault. No one should be taking wallets, let alone taking them from your front porch. Having said that, since I don’t want my wallet to be stolen, I do my best to keep it in my pocket, or at least on my night stand. And if I do forget, and accidentally leave my wallet on the porch, and it gets stolen, I’m still going to insist that the thief, if caught, should have charges brought against him! (And this is why taking common sense measures to prevent victimization isn’t “blaming the victim”: rape is wrong,… Read more »
Jay Stevens

Remember the old “Lock your car. Don’t let a good boy go bad.” campaign? New flash! A good boy will not steal your car.

NKR
NKR
It all started as astroturf. There are these groups for the prevention of “sexual assault” that rake in the bucks. They have to spread this “rape culture” meme. And, sadly, there are a lot of shrill harpies out there who love to be part of that club. Colleges have expanded the definition of “sexual assault” so many men have no idea what they’ve done to be called up to the tribunal. Luckily, some of these guys have pluck and they’re suing now, which I support and celebrate. When making eye contact is considered “sexual harassment” and proof of “rape culture”,… Read more »
Shadowdancer Duskstar / Cutelildrow

On the note of “eye contact = sexual harassment” vein… there’s this piece of news.

The only other bit I could find on it was on The Daily Mail. Funny that…

kengray

Maybe it’s me but I’m having a hard time figuring out where you stand on this issue. X0D

Hmmm….maybe that’s why I’m liking MHI series so much; it seems to be the little guy getting the field level and getting some back.

Go Skippy! oo/

Wes S.
Wes S.
The problem with this “rape culture” nonsense, first of all, is that the academic Left has expanded the term “rape” to include a hell of a lot of consensual sex…and behavior that has nothing to do with sex or violence at all. As an example of the mindset at work here, I present one academic’s “profile” of a “typical collegiate rapist:” >”After that night, the accuser spoke with several Occidental employees, including Danielle Dirks, an assistant professor of sociology. Dirks told the accuser that Doe “fit the profile of other rapists on campus in that he had a high GPA… Read more »
NKR
NKR

It’s not about teaching anyone not to rape, it’s about expanding the definition so you can call it an epidemic. Then you get the hashtags and the organizations and the dollars rolling in. All at the expense of a generation of people (both men and women) who will be severely damaged by this crap. Can you imagine trying to date in this atmosphere?

Wes S.
Wes S.

The question was purely rhetorical. And yes, you might be safer trying to clear a Waziristan minefield with a pointed stick, then trying to pick up a coed on a modern American college campus these days.

Of course, while the Left demands we teach boys not to rape, they’re also all about teaching teenage girls about the joys of sadomasochistic OH JOHN RINGO NO sex.

*facepalm*

Jared Anders
Jared Anders

If this continues on for much longer it won’t just be us religious types who simply swear off sex until marriage.

I’m fine with that. A rather large number of young men and women won’t be, but what else are they going to do?

Personally I think (hope) a lot of the people who believe this crap are simply well intentioned idiots, but that hardly matters against the reality of how freaking messed up its making my generation.

Jeff Jonsson

Larry, as usual, you have eloquently said everything I’ve been thinking. I’d say I want to subscribe to your newsletter, but, I guess I already do. Thank You.

Cranky McBasstard
Cranky McBasstard
Funny, in my defensive driving course way back when I drove for Fed Ex, I was SUPPOSSED to make eye contact with oncoming traffick to make sure they saw me. Both Men and WOMEN. I guess that was rape as well. I don’t have a little girl, I have a son. A great kid with a good heart that cares about others. And we’ve been teaching him to be a man, following those same prinsciples. If I had a daughter, i’d teach her the same things…. be aware of your surroundings, panick is natural but often counter to what you… Read more »
Greg "Blotto" Garrett
Greg "Blotto" Garrett
“Faced with the choice between changing one’s mind and proving that there is no need to do so, almost everyone gets busy on the proof.” – John Kenneth Galbraith That being said, how far into cognitive dissonance do you have to be before (advocating self defense = blame the victim) makes sense? Only slightly facetiously, I’m surprised that NOW isn’t more pro-gun, or at least pro-self-defense. What’s more empowering to the sex with less muscle mass, a firearm that levels the playing field, or believing that rapists are just a few sensitivity classes away from respect? Expanding on this “logic”… Read more »
saintonge235
Greg “Blotto” Garrett wrote: “There is no transitive property of guilt or empathy. Just because you are vulnerable to these emotions does not in any way confer the same thing to criminals who might prey upon you. That seems to be one of the fundamental failures of liberal ‘logic’ in this case.” It’s a human failing, not a liberal one. ‘Everyone is really exactly like me’ can be found in many places. For example, when whites expanded across the continent, the majority thought of the Amerinds as sub-human because they didn’t yearn to live like whites. A minority saw that… Read more »
blottogg
“It’s a human failing, not a liberal one. ‘Everyone is really exactly like me’ can be found in many places.” To be sure, which is why I added the qualifier “…in this case.” In a thread that’s bouncing around from Paganism to Phineas & Ferb, the last thing I wanted to do was open the discussion up further beyond the original topic. Having said that, you are of course correct that limited perception knows no political bounds. I oppose belief and champion reason wherever and whenever I can. Dehumanizing opponents has also long been a staple of both “good” and… Read more »
perlhaqr
Larry: I think there’s a disconnect between the words that group is using, and the meaning you’re deriving from them. When they say “teach men not to rape”, I suspect you’re mostly thinking of “held at knifepoint and dragged into an alley by a stranger” rape. But there is lots of rape in the world that doesn’t fit that narrative, from molestation of children by authority figures to date rape. I think a better way of phrasing the statement would be “ensure that men know what constitutes rape”. And when they speak of “rape culture”, they are not talking solely… Read more »
Tarl
Tarl

when they speak of “rape culture”, they are not talking solely of forcible sexual penetration.

Such an attempt to redefine rape should be rejected out of hand – it is false and is a slap in the face to those who are victims of the real crime.

I’m talking about women being groped, catcalled, followed, aggressively leered at, etc.

Sorry chief, but none of that is rape.

T.L. Knighton

Sorry chief, but none of that is rape.

Exactly. Not all boorish behavior raises to the level of rape. To equate it all as even similar is an insult to real rape victims.

Ascher Goodrich
Ascher Goodrich

If this is the new definition of rape then I really need to talk to a lawyer. I am a young man and I have been repeatedly,”groped, catcalled, followed, aggressively leered at, etc.” by members of the fairer sex. Did I get raped and didn’t even know it?

Just want to add I am not in any way trying to detract from women who have experienced this sort of behavior from men and suffered for it. I’m just trying to point out that these actions aren’t rape.

Joel Salomon

If they meant “catcall culture”, they should have said so. The term “rape culture” was invented to leave people unable to distinguish annoyance from assault from actual rape.

This works two ways: Harassment—or even “gaze”—can now be treated as rape (inflating minor injuries, or minimizing rape, or both); and disagreement with the concept of “rape culture” can now be taken as support for “rape culture”. Because #logic.

Paul (Drak Bibliophile) Howard
Paul (Drak Bibliophile) Howard
“sexually oriented misbehaviour towards women”? The problem is that “sexually oriented misbehaviour towards women” can include “looking at a woman the wrong way” which in turn means anything a woman wants it to mean. Sorry, not only do I disagree with your claim concerning stuff that a reasonable person would call “sexually oriented misbehaviour towards women”, I’m saying that the term “sexually oriented misbehaviour towards women” is badly misused by Leftish women. Years ago, I heard of a study on “violence against women” where a man getting angry and leaving the room was considered “violence against women”. IMO this sort… Read more »
dgarsys
dgarsys

Under sexually oriented misbehavior, there’s an SNL skit that is “funny but its true” with Tom Brady about how to avoid a sexual harassment skit, playing off of how women often let attractive men/jerks get away with behavior that gets other men labeled as “creeps”.

transcript here as I couldn’t get to the video from my current site: http://snltranscripts.jt.org/04/04qfunhouse.phtml

Announcer: See? It can be done. You can have sex with women at work without losing your job, by following a few simple rules:

[ the rules are displayed on-screen with accompanying check marks ]

Be Handsome..

Be Attractive..

and Don’t Be Unattractive.

NR Pax

So he should hire a translator first to explain the layers of meaning behind stupid shit like this?

T.L. Knighton

You can’t really translate gibberish into English.

Tarl
Tarl

You can’t really translate gibberish into English.

Yes but you can have a prize-winning debate team that speaks nothing but gibberish!

NR Pax

Hey, Google Translate does it…Hm. Never mind; that’s Norwegian.

Heather
Heather
Let me reply as a woman. Perlhaqr, sexual misbehavior is not rape. The very things these fainting flowers of sheltered femininity (who scream they are independent and need no one) claim to rial against, they are promoting. They are teaching men it is not worth it to be a gentleman. They scream about men opening doors, they indulge in far cruder catcalls than most men will indulge in, they wear clothing designed to catch the eye (then whine that they got looked at), they complain bitterly after being propositioned when wearing teeny shorts with ‘F* Me!’ spelled out in big… Read more »

I think I read somewhere, probably on twitter, that we men are guilty of eye-raping woman.

Mike
Mike

The thing is, even provided that you accept every single argument they have about the definition of rape, about needing to teach men to not “rape” under that definition, and about changing the rape culture…

Teaching girls to defend themselves for now, until the wonderful future day where we have successfully rehabilitated the entire world, is NOT blaming the victim!

There is nothing incompatible with their definition of rape culture and the concept of armed self defense for women. It only becomes one when you raise up this cult of helpless victimhood.

Greg "Blotto" Garrett
Greg "Blotto" Garrett
I learned in sexual harassment awareness training while still in the Air Force (yes, I actually stayed awake and paid attention to the degree that I remembered something) that the power to define sexual harassment lies with the victim, not the perpetrator. That makes sense to a degree (certainly more so than deferring to the alleged harasser), but giving all the legal power to the alleged victim opens up the door for reverse abuse. Giving women the power to unilaterally abuse men in court would help prosecute and possibly deter rape, but at the cost of giving them the power… Read more »
Underwhelmed
Underwhelmed

That was glorious. Thank you.

brianniemeier

If we’re talking about context, Miss Sanchez’s original comments were made in response to a question about sexual assault. It’s her critics who are distorting her words to fit their narrative.

Synova
Synova

But you see, perlhagr, men who can be taught not to rape were already not rapists. By redefining rape to catcalls, they are, in fact, denying *rape*. Now it means catcalls.

So a choice has been made to keep women vulnerable to rapists… so that they can focus on the gropers, catcallers, and drunk sexers.

I honestly don’t think that it is possible that there is an excuse for that.

Kristophr

Most of these retards are redefining rape in intensely silly ways. Apparently their goal is to classify all male vaginal penetration as rape.

Don’t feed these retards by rationalizing their retardation.

Wayne Blackburn

Oh, there are some who fully admit that they believe that any of what we would call “normal intercourse” is rape. Search for “PIV is Rape” if your blood pressure can stand it.

mikeweatherford
mikeweatherford
When I was a kid growing up, I was taught to respect women — all women. I found that respecting women and treating them with respect and dignity was the greatest “date bait” in the world. I won’t say I had to fight ’em off (my face is pictured in the dictionary under “ugly mug”), but I found women easy to date, and had a great time with them. Of course, I’m 67 years old, and grew up with the dinosaurs, but going back to the culture of mutual respect would cut out a lot of this crap that’s going… Read more »
Ascher Goodrich
Ascher Goodrich
@Lea- “I have to say I don’t agree that you shouldn’t forgive people. I think forgiveness is a thing we do for ourselves, as much as for others. Because hatred and bitterness eats away at you and can turn you into someone you don’t want to be.” I don’t believe forgiveness is appropriate for rape. I agree that hatred and bitterness can be bad for a person in the long run(although they can help a person cope in the short run). That is why people have to come to terms with the fact that they were raped. This isn’t the… Read more »
randall rapp
randall rapp

My personal opinion is its a different version of munchausen’s syndrome, where people make themselves sick to get sympathy and pity from others. “Its okay if I don’t work hard and people take care of me, I’m a victim.”

dgarsys
dgarsys

Keeping in mind a lady is not likely to deal well in a toe-to-toe slugfest sans firearms (there’s a reason for weight classes in wrestling and boxing…), self defense training of the hand-to-hand variety should probably focus on (how to) break contact and run…

on the “victim blaming” – years ago on FB I commented that I lacked a certain Lady Gaga song, but not one of her earlier breakouts (just dance”) because the viewpoint character in that (semi-deliberately lost her friends, keys, wallet, cell phone, and did not care) was being hideously irresponsible.

I got blocked for “victim blaming”

mikeweatherford
mikeweatherford
The key there is not going “toe-to-toe” with the guy, but inflicting enough pain and agony he looks for an easier victim. If he’s clutching his genitals and has a broken kneecap, he’s not going to chase you very far. Slamming his nose up through his sinuses into his brain is another very effective method of “inflicting pain”. I don’t know ANY recognized martial art, but I taught my daughters how to inflict pain and agony, and to run and hide. They may not be able to escape the guy chasing them, but they may get enough of a head… Read more »
saintonge235
No, men as a class can outrun women, even when the women are wearing sensible shoes. So if you see a threat and can evade, great, but the most important lesson for self-defense is that once you decide to do violence, you continue till the attacker is physically unable to continue their assault. Twice in my life I got beaten up because I was in a fight and really didn’t want to hurt the person I was fighting. Recovering from the second beating, it occurred to me that “they don’t matter”, “they” being anyone who attacked me. From then on,… Read more »
Shadowdancer Duskstar / Cutelildrow
Twice in my life I got beaten up because I was in a fight and really didn’t want to hurt the person I was fighting. Recovering from the second beating, it occurred to me that “they don’t matter”, “they” being anyone who attacked me. I’ve had … interesting… conversations with some teenagers over the last couple of months and your story reminded me of one of them. Good kid, took studies more seriously than the average teen, and as the eldest took care of his younger siblings because his parents worked night shift jobs. Without getting into too much detail… Read more »
dgarsys
dgarsys
Not directly tied to rape, but there is a case in FL where a guy dropped by his exes house (the mother in law was there as well) to pick up his kids. Argument ensued, driven almost entirely by mom in law who shot him repeatedly (and with poor aim) with a small-caliber pistol. MIL and daughter then reported that he had come over all belligerent, and they had to shoot him in self defense, etc. Police bought it hook, line, and sinker. Fortunately when he woke up in the hospital dye later, he could tell the police that he… Read more »
Shadowdancer Duskstar / Cutelildrow
The growing numbers of crazy entitled narcissists and borderlines who are willing to lie through their teeth and destroy people and their lives and livelihood when they don’t get what they want, Oh yeah… don’t get me started on the sheer amounts of crazy women I’ve encountered on Lineage II. They angle mostly for getting a guy to fall for them based on a fake persona, gunning for gifts and money. If the guy falls out of love for them… The most terrifying of the lot that I’d been witnessing from the periphery of was this super fugly woman (both… Read more »
thewriterinblack
On a somewhat tangential note, to illustrate just how “out there” this stuff can get. I just saw an argument about the Disney Movie “Tangled.” It seems that “hair” is supposed to be a symbol for virginity* which makes Flynn’s cutting Rapunzel’s hair in the climax–since he “forced” it on her–a “rape scene.” What? To keep her free from a lifetime of servitude to the witch (Rapunzel _always_ keeps her promises) he sacrifices his own chance at life. He takes an action that, so far as he knows, will leave him dead, but Rapunzel free. There are people who read… Read more »
Shadowdancer Duskstar / Cutelildrow
While insane for the context of the story of Tangled this is valid in other stories, such as in Katanagatari where Rape of the Lock was viewed as being the same as sexual rape (the setting being based in a fantastical feudal Japan, and the characters in the story reacted as if the female character was raped. There is no indication that this is the case in the world of Tangled however, so the bitching about cutting Rapunzel’s hair isn’t valid (nor is the bit about the corona/crown, since in this case Corona refers to the sun symbology that surrounds… Read more »
blottogg
“In place of practicing wholesome self-abnegation, we ever make the wish the father to the thought: we receive as friendly that which agrees with, we resist with dislike that which opposes us; whereas the very reverse is required by every dictate of common sense.” – Michael Faraday If you start with a belief, and subsequently deny any information to the contrary, there is no limit to the nonsense you can accept as true. This “belief over reason” is my personal arch-villain, even though I’m still susceptible to it myself. While I’d hoped the internet would facilitate facts over belief, in… Read more »
joehuffman
joehuffman
Once, in extreme frustration, I asked my crazy (probably Borderline Personality Disorder) (now ex-) wife how she determined truth from falsity. Her answer was, “It depends on how I feel.” She was serious. When I would attempt to point out that her version of reality did not match physical reality she would get anger and claim, “You always have to get your own way!” She was serious. Words meant what she wanted them to mean at that particular moment. One time she called and asked me to pick up her sister at the airport. “I can probably do that. Which… Read more »

Wow….. all I can say to that is ‘how the hell did you last 38 years?’

Patrick Chester
Patrick Chester
Oh yeah… don’t get me started on the sheer amounts of crazy women I’ve encountered on Lineage II. They angle mostly for getting a guy to fall for them based on a fake persona, gunning for gifts and money *reads example further but not quoting it here* So… this is a player you could confirm is an actual woman and not a guy w/a female character? ^_^;; (Since I have a few female characters in SWTOR. The female Smuggler voice is, as I put it, full of snarky awesome.) (This does make me wonder about the two female characters dancing… Read more »

G.I.R.L. = Guy In Real Life :-p

Shadowdancer Duskstar / Cutelildrow
Voice chat, phone and skype were amongst the mediums used to communicate with the victim. Now the people who got hurt / were trying to help the guy all lived near each other – I didn’t (hence me saying I was on the periphery as I only saw parts of what was occurring in game) all belonged to the same clan and voice chat was required to coordinate play. They said she was a woman. And the couple who had CS sicced on them were able to get that a woman had called CS to report the ‘abuse’. They weren’t… Read more »

That’s pretty shameful. Hope she gets what’s coming to her someday. :-/

Shadowdancer Duskstar / Cutelildrow
I know the rest of the gang knew she was a girl because she would insist that her victim call her, put his phone in his shirt pocket, so she could listen in on all the conversations, to make sure she wasn’t the topic. They discovered this when she started screaming into the phone when the topic DID veer into talking about her. The guy was very, very brainwashed. I think she suddenly, abruptly ceased all communications when it seemed like the group of friends were looking into trying for prosecution, but this is early on and it’s still difficult… Read more »

0.o….. I’m not sure ‘brainwashed’ is a strong enough term. SMDH….

Y’know, I’m suddenly curious: did he offer any justification to his friends for doing that? What possible moronic excuse could he come up with?

Shadowdancer Duskstar / Cutelildrow

I think she originally posed wanting to listen in… in more ‘cute’ terms – ‘I don’t wanna feel left out’ or ‘It’d be like I’m going with you!’ and such; and that they originally knew she was listening in. But she kept quiet and they eventually forgot that she was… so…

Patrick Chester
Patrick Chester

Um… 😮

joehuffman
joehuffman

Dave W.:

Wow….. all I can say to that is ‘how the hell did you last 38 years?’

As my counselor said when I told her I had decided to get divorced, “Mere mortals would have left years ago.”

In hindsight there were signs from before we got married. Her Mom, especially, demonstrated the same symptoms. But hindsight is so much better than foresight.

And it happened somewhat slowly over the years. A boiled frog and all that.

CombatMissionary
CombatMissionary

Names have been changed to protect the innocent. 😉
A parental figure we’ll call “Bob” once told me that if you want to see what a woman will look like in 25 years, look at her mom.

Maybe we should amend that to, “If you want to see how a woman will treat her husband…”

Ree1
Ree1
@Combat Missionary… Like he said- hindsight is 20/20. But he does prove a point on relationships and people. Not all disfunctional relationships start that way. They evolve and grow, and it takes two people. Sometimes in a good way, sometimes in a bad way. That being said, I respect your faith, and I do agree with waiting on intimacy until you know the person, but again, as humans we all change over time, and sometimes for the worse. When I married, I looked to see how he treated his mother. He treated her like gold. We enjoyed her company, and… Read more »
CombatMissionary
CombatMissionary
I’m not making any judgments about you or your situation, sorry if it came across that way. Clearly we can’t control everything. I would be stupid to suggest that. All we can do is try to live our lives to minimize the odds of getting into horrible situations. They’re not always avoidable. Sometimes great people change despite taking precautions. Sometimes horrible people change. But if we’re careful with our conduct, we can minimize our chances of becoming a statistic. Even if I wasn’t religious, avoiding sex before marriage can avoid a huge range of problems, and the further our world… Read more »
Ree1
Ree1
@CombatMissionary Thank you for the clarification. It did come across a bit judgmental. But then again, I have a candy red button that says, “instant temper- lump me in with the idiots…” Sorry. I resent the men and women in our culture who have made themselves such well known examples that the rest of us who are, for lack of a better term, stable. I can’t say normal, as ‘normal’ is what society dictates is the general acceptable behavior. Which is what started this conversation in the first place, no? Anytime I hear of a woman spouting such nonsense as… Read more »
CombatMissionary
CombatMissionary
Yeah, I was afraid of that. Fifteen years in the military has NOT done good things for my personality. I tend to be the kind of guy, these days, that would say something like, “Hey, STUPID! For Pete’s sake, you moron, if you would just live your life like THIS, you’d be a lot happier! I’m telling you this because I care about you, you knucklehead!” and genuinely mean it. So, yeah, I tend to sound fairly arrogant sometimes. I’m working on it. I think I’m gradually evolving into the kind of guy who would say, “Come on, dummy, let’s… Read more »
Icarusflu
Icarusflu
I have a 12 year old son and I am worried about what the world will be like for him as he gets older and starts dating. Look at whatnhas been happening to college campuses with the change is sexual assault rules. Men (or really boys) are being accused of rape, put up before campus courts, not allowed to defend themselves, and convicted sexual assult with a “preponderance of the evidence” (50.01%). We haven’t been able to teach all men to read. We haven’t been able to teach all men to take responsibility for themselves. We haven’t been able to… Read more »
Synova
Synova

Enroll him in Tae Kwon Do so he can meet girls. (Well… enroll him now, so he can meet girls there later.)

Kristophr

Krav Maga, or even Karate. Most Tae Kwon Do schools are non-contact, and wont teach a student how to take a blow and keep fighting.

If you can find a Tae Kwon Do school that does full contact, go for it.

Dan
Dan

Through various conversations with my 6 year old daughter about when to fight and when not to she will proudly tell you that if someone was trying to take her away she would “kick them in the pee-pee” and generally cause as much harm as possible. I hope my daughter never has to do that. If she has to I will support that decision. Yes, it is sad that she may have to defend herself. That doesn’t mean I’m not going to teach her to.

T.L. Knighton
I mocked someone yesterday – in fact, I think it’s one of the ones Larry quotes above – by saying we should also teach robber to not rob. The stupid twit said she agreed with that also. I nearly gave myself a concussion from the facepalm. Seriously, what these people need to understand is that you can not account for what someone else has or hasn’t been taught. Even if you could, you can’t account for what they will or won’t do with that teaching. The only thing you can be responsible for is what you do or don’t do.… Read more »
Kristophr

Rabbits survive by overbreeding.

Alpheus
Alpheus

Yes, but aren’t these also the types that believe all PIV sex is rape, and that it’s a moral and just thing to abort children, especially if having a child while young will destroy your all-important career (and especially so if you stay at home and have five or six children, rather than wait until your career is established, and have one or two)?

Overbreeding doesn’t strike me as an option for these folk….

Arwen Riddle

I’ve seen the argument that by behaving responsibly, avoiding dark alleys and other sketchy areas, and caution when drinking, that *you* are making sure the rapist rapes the other girl.

I just cannot fathom the level of crazy required to come up with that conclusion.

T.L. Knighton
Seriously? When police educate folks on how to prevent break-ins, some officers will be honest and say that you’re not going to deter a burglar from breaking into someone’s home. You’re just trying to make sure your house looks like an uninviting target so they’ll move on to someone else’s house. The truth is, no one gets worked up about that, because if everyone makes their house uninviting to a burglar, the burglars will have to do something else. It’s the same thing with rapists. If it’s my daughter, I want her to look like a bad idea to a… Read more »
Bruce
Bruce

As Mr. Miyagi said, the best way to avoid a punch is to not be there.

Maybe there is some truth to behaving responsibly is making sure the rapist rapes the other girl. I would happily look my daughter (if I had one) in the eye and tell her, “Good. I’m glad you weren’t the victim. You were not, are not, and never will be responsible for the actions of that other girl. You didn’t get raped because you were smart and did the right thing. Good.”

*blank stare* *closes own jaw with a click*

Un-freaking-believable……

Tarl
Tarl

*you* are making sure the rapist rapes the other girl.

Well… if it’s a choice between my daughter and some other girl… so be it!

thewriterinblack

Well… if it’s a choice between my daughter and some other girl… so be it!

If my daughter, or your daughter, shoots the rapist’s pecker off (okay, okay, little teeny-tiny target with the stress of being on the receiving end of an attempted rape messing up ones marksmanship. Center of mass works too) then no other girls will be raped either–not by that rapist anyway.

Win win.

Greg "Blotto" Garrett
Greg "Blotto" Garrett

Sort of like the t-shirt for DADD (Dad’s Against Daughters Dating):
“Shoot the first one, and the word will spread.”

Joseph Capdepon II

Predators look for easy prey. If you present yourself as a hard target, they will move on and find easier prey. They don’t want a struggle or have to worry about getting shot or stabbed or hurt. They want a docile victim who will do what they tell them to do.

It doesn’t always work that way of course, but for the most part, that is what criminals go after.

saintonge235

Yeah, predation WORKS, if the prey is weak enough. The carnivores eat the herbivores. The only herbivores that aren’t preyed upon are those so tough they’d probably kill or seriously injure the carnivore.

Refusing to see that truth seems to be a large part of the “liberal” mindset.

Ryan

I’ve gotten the same response in discussions, namely, that by avoiding rape one is causing someone else to become a victim. I asked if I lock my doors at night, am I forcing my neighbor to be burglarized?

Predictably, I was immediately accused of equating women with property. Because, logic. Or something.

Kristophr

Typical libtard arguing. If you are caught in a logical fallacy, change the subject by accusing your opponent of being a racist or a misogynist, or a nazi, or something else bad.

I don ‘t remember what number that one is on Larry’s list.

Synova
Synova

“….by behaving responsibly…*you* are making sure the rapist rapes the other girl.”

This is dumb… it’s true though… it’s a little bit like if you don’t want to be eaten by a bear you only have to run faster than the slowest person. So… true-ish but mindbogglingly irrelevant.

Shadowdancer Duskstar / Cutelildrow

Uh… seriously, and there is no other way to say this: what the fuck? I am NOT going to make myself a victim to ‘protect someone else from being raped. If it’s going to be someone, I’m darned gonna try make sure it’s not going to be me or mine getting hurt. I’m not responsible for the irresponsible moron who floats along with glitterdust on the brain thinking nothing will EVER HAPPEN TO HER. I cannot be the mom to the whole world.

But I will try to take care of my corner of it.

Foxfier

Who do they think are setting the rape quotas that will be filled– no more, no less?

Since that’s kinda required for the logic to work.

Mary
Mary

“*you* are making sure the rapist rapes the other girl.”

Nonsense. The other girl is by not taking the same precautions.

The Phantom
I have maintained for a very long time now that all girls should be issued a .38 snubbie at age 16 and attend mandatory classes and range time at school. A statist imposition upon the freedoms of our youth its true, but one that would change the fabric of our society for the better. Girls I have had the honor of taking care of learned to defend themselves with gun, knife, stick, empty hand. They learn to spot trouble before it starts, they learn how to escape and how to hide effectively. They learn when to run and when to… Read more »
rocinante2
rocinante2

Yes. They aren’t mistaken; it’s *everyone else* who needs to change. The world isn’t to their liking; they demand it change to suit them.

What’s that called again? Starts with an “N”, named after a figure in Greek mythology who stared at his own reflection until he starved to death…

freeholder45

Narcissus, I think you are thinking of.

Eleanor
Eleanor

I think you have a point. They are not stupid; they are lazy. If the SJWs agreed with you about taking responsibility, the next step down the logic chain is to do a self-assessment (Am I taking responsibility?). The answer is usually “Hell no!” and that leads to guilt and, hopefully, action. All way too strenuous. Much easier just to loll back and feel superior.

The Phantom

Also, more excuse to expand government. Very important.

Mike
Mike

It’s too horribly statist for me to support it, but you could solve a hell of a lot of social problems by giving every girl a free UID and pistol.

Kenton Kilgore

There’s a scene in my YA fantasy novel (intended for girls, btw) where the mom walks her older daughter, step-by-step, through how to fire a pistol. When I was writing it, all I thought was that I was setting up two scenes later on, when the daughter defends herself and her younger sister. Now I’m thinking I did a public service. 🙂

Mea culpa: I have not yet taught my daughters to shoot. But I will.

The Phantom
Six year old girls can shoot a .22 if you hover over them and make sure they don’t point it the wrong way. And by hover I mean your hand is never more than an inch or two from the pistol. They LOVE it too. Four year olds can understand the combat mind set. Its a natural state of being, after all. Four year olds can also understand and learn the various wrist locks, escapes, balance, stepping and etc of any martial art. It doesn’t have to be Super Serious Lessons either. Its a game. If you make a game… Read more »
Kenton Kilgore

One issue I’m having is that my younger daughter has orthopedic issues that limit her mobility and strength. She has great grip strength, but I don’t know if she’ll be able to pull back a slide or handle the recoil even a very small pistol.

Andrew
Andrew

I’ve got a variety of orthopedic problems, though I have good upper body strength. If drawing the slide is a concern, revolver is always an option. Providing her arms and grip are average, she should be able to handle a sufficient self defense round. While personally a fan of the .45, even a .32 is better than loading out with wishful thinking.

Kenton Kilgore

Her upper body strength is poor: she’s all of 4’5 and 65 lbs at 15 years of age (her condition–arthrogryposis–severely limits muscle growth AND has joint contractures. Yay.). But a revolver might be an option.

Kenton Kilgore

Larry, if you’re ever stuck for blog ideas, I’d love to see a piece on self-defense for people with disabilities. 🙂

TXRed

Kenton, I still have a lot of trouble working the action on Glocks et al. I like my revolvers. The snubbie kicks like a mule (hey, it’s a snubbie), but my larger Ruger is well-balanced and easy to handle, with a smooth trigger action. It’s a little big for on-person concealed carry at my size, but for at-home defense and shooting at the range, it’s fantastic.

The Phantom
Kenton, as it happens I am (among other things) a physical therapist with some background in shooting for the disabled. My interest was using shooting as a therapeutic exercise for people with brain, spinal cord and nerve damage. It can be beneficial, depending on the patient. Even if it doesn’t change their condition much its still a giggle and an outing, which is usually worth it all by itself. The condition you describe for your daughter, she may not do particularly well with any pistol or revolver due to upper body strength. Even small pistols are heavy when you hold… Read more »
Kenton Kilgore

Phantom, thanks for the link. And yes, she has had plenty of PT (our other daughter is studying that in college) and has had a myofascial release: it fixed her torticollis! 🙂

The Phantom
Torticolis, forsooth! You guys are having way too much fun. Reminds me of sitting with one of my patients in the lobby waiting for his bus ride back to the nursing facility. This guy was a quadriplegic in a power wheel chair. I was pouring Coke into his mouth for him because he couldn’t hold the can. Outside on the sidewalk a woman goes by in a power wheelchair. Guided by a Seeing Eye dog. My patient looks at me and says: “Every time you think you’re really fucked, you see something like that.” I think about that guy every… Read more »
Ori Pomerantz
Ori Pomerantz
I used to think that teaching men not to rape was a silly idea. But I can see how the Tom Kratman tutorial(1) might drive the point home. To motivate rapists not to kill their victim, a murder in his system gets you free “come to Jesus” crucifixion experience, while a live victim can forgive you and reduce your punishment to mere hanging. Of course, it is well known in education circles that the shorter the time between action and feedback the better it is pedagogically. An immediate bullet wound, even if it doesn’t kill, would do wonders for people’s… Read more »
Alpheus
Alpheus

Yes, you are right: impalement for rapists would drive the point home.

But could you imagine how much squirming a typical Social Justice Weenie (it’s weenie, right, and not warrior? ;.) would go through, when this idea is proposed to them?

Matthew Carberry (@CarberryMatthew)
Matthew Carberry (@CarberryMatthew)
The “lumping in of all types of rape” is insidious and deliberate and needs to be called out more often. Rape is rape in the end, but you can’t address it intelligently without differentiating the contexts in which it occurs. Victims who -feel- blameworthy due to recognizing they didn’t make good choices can be “forgiven” and brought into the fold (thus increasing the numbers and political influence) by rad-fems with an agenda by wrapping them in the same mantle as those who did absolutely everything right, without ever having to address their own choices. That kind of moral absolution will… Read more »
Mike Pusateri
Mike Pusateri

This is liberalism 101. Take NO responsibility for doing anything for yourself, it’s always someone else’s job to do things for you.

Honestly I’m astonished some of them can still look themselves in the eye in the mirror every morning.

sianmink
sianmink

Yep.
Rapists gonna rape. Violent criminals gonna violent crime. Politely asking them not to , and expecting that to work, is akin to legitimizing their life choices as something other than the socially unacceptable indecency that it is. The way to destroy ‘Rape Culture’ is to make it far too risky and costly for the rapists to continue. Denying the ugly side of human nature won’t make it go away; you have to hit it in the face with a rock.

Catherine

I want to read how these feminist think tankers reconcile the fact that it’s bad to use self-defense on a rapist but good to abort a baby that’s the result of a rape.

The Childlike Author
Miss Nevada [thumbs down] Sick of hearing “women need to learn selfdefense from sexual violence” We need a culture [in which] we don’t have to defend ourselves from [sexual violence.] You know, Colleen Gibbons has a point, poorly phrased (not just grammatically), but a point nevertheless. We do need a culture free from sexual violence. Unfortunately that culture is a long way away, and, for that matter, may never occur. Throwing down our swords and shields and tearing down the walls of our cities in the midst of attack merely because we want a future culture that is free from… Read more »
Anthony
Anthony

We’re more likely to get a culture in which we don’t have to defend ourselves from sexual violence if we make sure that most people are *able* to defend themselves against sexual violence. I’ll bet that the guy Damien Walter’s mom pushed off the wall, if he survived, was a whole lot more circumspect after that.

Joel Salomon

Not Damien’s mom; someone else in his Twitter feed.

BobtheRegisterredFool
BobtheRegisterredFool
Two points. One, it is probably more correct to say we want such a thing, rather than needing it. Secondly, barring interventions necessarily innately religious, like the New Jerusalem, a ‘society free of crime’ is exactly as feasible as a ‘society free of violence’, is exactly as feasible as a ‘society free of sexual violence’, and is exactly as feasible as a ‘society free of fornication’. If you do not think we can create a society where sex only happens between married adults, one man and one woman, for the purpose of procreation, or would not support such, it would… Read more »
Joseph Capdepon II

I’m pretty cynical when it comes to humanity.

Such a culture will never exist. Now perhaps you could have areas where such things were rare, but people who rape, murder, steal, etc will always exist where there are human beings concentrated together into cities.

Free-range Oyster

Because I am a huge geek, I’m reminded of the revelation from Sanderson’s The Way of Kings. *SPOILERS* The king wants to follow the titular book-within-a-book, The Way of Kings, but he finally discovers that the book was written after the author had fought his way to peace and stability for his kingdom. He had to do the messy, unpleasant business of war first, then he could implement those peacetime ideals. Trying to use that peacetime pattern in a deeply confrontational culture, in a time of war, was only leading him to disaster.

Wesley Nichols

You mean the King’s Uncle Dalinar? King Elhokar is pretty useless.

Free-range Oyster

Yes, that’s who I meant. Protagonist, not king.

SteveS
SteveS
I can understand that there are some elements of “rape culture” that exist and that a small number of people are ok with initiating non-consensual sexual contact, but I don’t believe that this is part of mainstream culture. It certainly isn’t part of the criminal justice system. I can’t speak for the laws in other states, but the laws in my state punish people that engage in the types of behaviors I describe above. I have no problem with society or groups addressing these issues, but it is magical thinking to expect it to stop all criminal behavior. I think… Read more »
The Phantom

Larry said: “There may not be some big systematic culture like the perpetual victims imagine…”

There is, actually. Its called Pakistan. Also other places in the Middle East and Africa. And Mexico. And South America. Pretty much every place in the world except Western Nations, really. Rape is considered on the same level as shoplifting.

That’s just one more reason to laugh at Multi-Culti college girls getting their knickers in a twist over the Rape Culture Of America. Can’t beat them PoC for rape culture.

Fail Burton

I’m pretty sure the Third World is not a rape party.

Danny Harbison

You would be wrong. In most of the Muslim world, it’s legal to execute a woman for the crime of adultery after she’s been raped. There have recently been several fatwas released by prominent muslim clerics who have said it’s okay to rape Western women and women not wearing the jijab. I’m afraid you’re a bit naive.

The Phantom
I’m pretty sure in Nigeria a bunch of glorified hobos is kidnapping girls from supposedly secure private schools and selling them into slavery. I’m pretty sure an entire store with one (1) woman behind the counter and nobody else in the place is an entirely unremarkable sight in most of North America and Europe. But not in India. I’m pretty sure most people in America wouldn’t think twice about sending their 19 year old daughter off to work at McDonald’s every day. Or off to college. Or off to whatever, in a car, on her own, all day long. I’m… Read more »
Joe in PNG
Joe in PNG

I wouldn’t call it a party, but in PNG, it is sadly common.
Some cultures do believe in rape as a social control- that if a woman shames a man, then the best way to regain status is to rape/beat the woman.

Fail Burton

I may be naive but I can still read a map. Most of the Third World is not Muslim.

Please define “Muslim world” as in which Islamic countries it’s legal to execute rape victims and which it is not.

Greg "Blotto" Garrett
Greg "Blotto" Garrett

Al Jazeera America just ran a story on rape, citing that rape is endemic in Syria (where a large percentage of the victims are male), Bangladesh, India, and Liberia (where they gave the statistic that 77% of women there reported being raped…and we’re not talking about getting blitzed at the cotillion and doing a “roll-scream” in bed next to a stranger the next morning). Don’t make the assumption that you can understand THE world by extending your perception of YOUR world.

Fail Burton

Women walk around on their own from Merida to San Cristobal de las Casas to Solola to San Jose to La Ceiba to Manaus to Rio to Corumba to Cochabamba to Cuzco to Jakarta to Singapore to Medan to Kota Baru to New Delhi to Varanasi to Jaisalmer to Kathmandu to Yogyakarta to Kalikbukbuk to Denpensar to Bangkok to Penang to Cairo to Seljuk. What in the world do you think those places are like – a cage match?

Fail Burton

The number of rapes in America each month is as much or double the amount in India every YEAR! And India has 4 TIMES as many people. As for the rest, Al Jazeera’s talking about war zones.

Matthew Carberry (@CarberryMatthew)
Matthew Carberry (@CarberryMatthew)
Please provide the exact criminal code definition of rape in India versus the criminal code definition in Federal and most state laws in the US, then compare with what advocates consider “rape” (hint, nowhere near the same definition, then maybe address that perhaps, just perhaps, India’s reporting system is not quite as good or accurate as ours. Cross-cultural comparisons are fraught with difficulty, one big clue is if the defense given by the perp is that it is “culturally or religiously acceptable” casting the woman as an object as opposed to individualistic and based on debates about consent, as in… Read more »
The Phantom

Not picking on you Mr. Burton, but have you seen the rape statistics coming out of good ol’ next door neighbor Mexico? Ai caramba!

The Phantom
By the way, since you mention India I have to say the government statistics there are “optimistic” to a degree that would be funny if it wasn’t rape being discussed. This is not a Mooselimb thing. Rape doesn’t get reported in India. Not by Hindus, not by Sikhs. They -really do- blame the victim down there. If a girl gets raped, she asked for it. Plain and simple. So she says nothing and hopes for the best. Women do not go out unescorted unless they are poor peasants. Of whom there are millions, of course. Another big thing they do… Read more »
Fail Burton

In fact women of all classes go all over the place on their own in India. Where are you getting this from?

Indians. I know a bunch.

Greg "Blotto" Garrett
Greg "Blotto" Garrett
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rape_in_India Given that two women were recently gang-raped, strangled and left hanging from a tree in rural India as they went outside to relieve themselves, I think it’s fair to assume that rape is under-reported in India. Countries with higher reported incidents of rape have nothing anywhere near this egregious occurring. Journalists report that 500M Indian citizens don’t have indoor plumbing, and that in rural areas women are fearful to go outside to relieve themselves because they’re afraid that this type of assault might happen. Bangladesh, Egypt and other non-war zones also have large numbers of rapes reported anecdotally, though… Read more »