Operation Pouty Face

I did a lot of research on human trafficking and modern slavery before Mike Kupari and I wrote Swords of Exodus. It is a horrible, evil, and surprisingly gigantic thing. One thing I’m fairly sure of about the kind of people who do that sort of thing for a living, is that they really don’t give a shit about a bunch of American movie stars taking pouty selfies of themselves holding up signs with hash tag give our girls back. The disapproval of fat, soft, Americans on Facebook really doesn’t move them. They care about getting paid or getting killed, that’s about it. The self-righteous pouting is useless.

Don't tell me about it, got tell your husband. He's the one with the red phone.

Don’t tell me about it, go tell your husband. He’s the one with the red phone.

For the idiot libprog pussies with the selfies, the world is a violent place, filled with violent men. If you actually want something to be done about these evil people, maybe you shouldn’t bitch, whine, and moan every time our military takes action against evil people. It seems odd to me that the same people demanding military action for this are the same ones that complain about military action for anything else. Oh, but wait, I forgot, the left has no overriding principles, and to them violence is always bad unless their guy does it, and evil is relative depending on how it trends on Twitter.

This kidnapping event made the news, but this sort of thing happens every day somewhere in the world. You’re shocked and outraged about this, but that just shows how little you know about the subject. There are plenty of outrageous acts of evil out there to choose from. You can take useless photos of yourself holding up a sign, but it will do nothing other than prove to your fellow idiots that you care so hard.

You want to actually do something? You can demand that America truly be World Cop and swoop in to kill all the bad people every time they do something bad somewhere… Only if you really want that, then you probably shouldn’t bitch continually about the American military doing violent things to violent people. The problem is in reality we couldn’t afford to kill every bad person, we couldn’t pull it off anyway, and it isn’t really our problem.

Real men don't punch out their wives either. And Hugo Chavez's political machine just "allocated" girls. Totally different.

Real men don’t punch out their wives either. And Hugo Chavez’s political machine just “allocated” girls. Totally different.

But if your selective outrage is really up in arms about this one, movie stars with the hash tag, I’ve got a simple solution for you. Take some of your millions of dollars and hire some mercenaries to go into Africa to shoot all the members of Boko Haram. I wonder how that would trend on Twitter. #gurkhaskillscumbags

But the left hates the private sector, so hiring Blackwater (or whatever they are named this week) to gleefully give slavers some stylish new 5.56 body piercings is out of the question. So we’re back to being useless or taking military action. And if we drop Navy SEALs on these assholes, you guys really need to think through how come it is okay for our guys to kill these woman abusing assholes, but not other woman abusing assholes. Those assholes, left wingers invite to speak at Ivy League colleges.

The real solution? Nigeria is one of dozens of screwed up countries. If Nigeria wants to be truly safe from slavers and madmen, it is going to require the Nigerians defend themselves from assholes, and if the Nigerian government won’t do it, then the Nigerian government needs to be replaced by Nigerians who want something better. For the thousands of other evil events that don’t trend on Twitter, replace Nigeria with whatever lawless hellhole country is in question and you get the same answer. People get freedom when they demand it for themselves.

Real Men provide their wives and daughters with guns so they can shoot kidnappers in the face. Real Countries have laws and exterminate slavers like vermin.

On the Real Men Don’t Buy Girls campaign… Holy shit… Seriously? That is so blindingly obvious that it takes a campaign on Twitter? “OMG! I was totally buying some child brides for my harem and then I saw that Ashton Kutcher said slavery was bad! LOL. I would have been soooo embarrassed!” said no Saudi prince ever.

Sometimes I wish that Exodus was a real organization—a bunch of warriors dedicated to brutally killing slavers and evil warlords in the places where law has broken down and chaos rules—only in real life I bet the morons holding up the signs on Twitter would complain about what horrible violent cismale gendernormative colonialists they were. They’d probably come up with a catchy hash tag or something.

486 Comments on "Operation Pouty Face"

ruffy
1 year 2 months ago

and sadly we have your own little terrorists called gangs here. but when we do something about them all we hear is what a good boy/girl they are. drives me nuts

CombatMissionary
1 year 2 months ago

As I recall, we recently had a White Hispanic that did something about gang violence in HIS neighborhood…

1 year 2 months ago

a white hispanic??? is that a newly labeled race???

Fail Burton
1 year 2 months ago

An interesting concept for a story: one’s race literally changes depending on good or bad thoughts, like The Hulk. If The Hulk thinks about smashing the wrong stuff, he turns bright orange and sirens go off from his ears. Jekyll and Hyde? He becomes weak and normal if he tries to kill and monstrous when he’s having tea or volunteering in a soup kitchen, and then he tries to kill, and then…

1 year 2 months ago

The problem we’ve got, Larry, is the same problem we had in Rwanda; really; the domestic political costs of American soldiers killing subSaharan blacks is pretty much insupportable, no matter how much they may need a good dose a killin’ and no matter how evil the result of us not killing them.

Now, Obama, interestingly enough, is much better placed to order us in than any previous president in the last 40 years or so; though I wouldn’t entirely discount the Nigerian army if we did, and I would presume that some numbers of them are probably on the side of Boko Haram.

In reply to the pic up there, I might add that real men don’t redeem slaves, because it just incites the slavers to take more of them.

Ori Pomerantz
1 year 2 months ago

Jewish Halacha, BTW, used to be that you redeem Jewish slaves. Then, as people caught on, it changed to “redeem slaves, but not for more than their market price”.

Sadly, the Israeli government hasn’t gotten the memo about that change yet.

Jonathan
1 year 2 months ago

As an Israeli, I completely agree. Though, to be fair, the Shalit deal was but the last (so far) in a line of shameful deals, so the previous government, the one that concluded this deal, is not solely to blame.

1 year 2 months ago

I must disagree with you Tom, real men do redeem slaves, they just do it with lead and brass rather than silver and gold.

1 year 2 months ago

Thing is, this isn’t really our business and, even if it were, nothing we can or are likely to do will be effective. On the other hand, we _could_ tell the Christians. mostly Igbo and Ibibio, “Secede again; we’ll support you this time and turn a blind eye to the ethnic cleansing you’ll have to engage in.” And the Igbo are far and away the _most_ capable people in Subsaharan Africa. They could make a real country. Fairly prosperous one, too, what with the oil for starter capital. Wouldn’t help these kidnapped girls but could prevent future kidnappings.

Firehand

Except
A: Obama doesn’t have the balls to actually give troops the orders that would count: “Find the enemy. Kill them. Save the hostages. Air support will be provided as called for.”

B: If Obama DID give the orders, the troops would be under such idiotic ROE that they’d accomplish little and some of them wind up dead. Because “Public relations, and me not being called names by the EU and African leaders, is more important than peas- er, soldiers lives.”

1 year 2 months ago

The only thing worse than child slavery is Conservatives mocking a noble Hollywood Twitter campaign.

Shut up and get back to work paying your taxes, you hatey hate mongering International Lord of Eeeevile. Jeeze!

1 year 2 months ago

Oh yes, how “noble.” Making a completely useless gesture in order to feel good about yourself-that’s a “progressive” (so-called) to a “T.”

Paul (Drak Bibliophile) Howard
1 year 2 months ago

The Phantom was being Sarcastic.

1 year 2 months ago

I gotta put a /sarc/ on it? I thought the hatey hate mongering thing would have been a dead giveaway.

Admittedly, it is getting harder to lampoon the Left every day. No matter how wacky a thing you come up with, they top it.

Kristophr
1 year 2 months ago

Yea, Phantom, you really do need to use a /sarc/ tag.

I’ve been guilty of watching sarcasm flying over my head as well.

Iconoclast
1 year 2 months ago

Seriously? You missed the sarcasm of “you hatey hate mongering International Lord of Eeeevile”??

Maybe you should stop and reflect a bit before you post again.

njoriole
1 year 2 months ago

BTW: conservatives mocking your precious little Hollywood morons; THAT’S “worse than child slavery”??? Bizarre set of “progressive” (so-called) priorities you have there, pal.

Ori Pomerantz
1 year 2 months ago

You do realize The Phantom is being sarcastic, right?

Er, it’s a joke, Joyce, as in sarcasm. Beware of instant comment response fatigue! I’ve done it myself…

Fail Burton
1 year 2 months ago

I say tax child slavery into the ground.

CombatMissionary

Bwa ha ha ha ha haaaa!
Love it!
Hey, he’s got a pen and a phone, right? Let’s see what he can get done.

dyingearth
1 year 2 months ago

Just think of Boko Haram as an African branch of Tea Party and unleash IRS audit on them. That’ll teach them.

Joe in PNG
1 year 2 months ago

Better yet, make it illegal. That worked for international drug trafficking, right?

Quizzle
1 year 1 month ago

Post Official No Slaving Allowed signs around. That will take care of the problem instantly.

KHorn

No, no, no. Big O just needs to draw a line. There, problem solved

Mark
1 year 2 months ago

Not just any line will do. It must be a red line. Blue ones don’t really instill fear in anyone.

perlhaqr
1 year 2 months ago

I gotta admit, I didn’t realise it was sarcasm until the very last line, myself.

Jay
1 year 2 months ago

Nobel, taking 2 seconds to take a stupid, worthless picture is what passes for nobility now????? Get a grip. Next we should call them hero’s for tweeting a tweet. God forbid when the west has to face a real enemy, twitter campaigns won’t do much in the face of men with guns.

1 year 2 months ago

I seriously think that you are underestimating the power of love and understanding.

If we just show the slavers love (because they obviously came from poor backgrounds were abuse was common place) they will find the inner child within them.

Then it will be healed and they realize how horrible they have been and stop selling children.

They will even go forth and spread the joys of love and understanding among the slaver community.

This love will infect them like a virus and make all the world a brighter place, with sunshine, rainbows and rivers of chocolate that children play gaily next to for days on end with nary a cloud in the sky.

Wow, it’s like I just entered Whimsyshire in Diablo 3! :-p

1 year 2 months ago

Since they have “Evil Oliver (A Subsidy of Happy Corp)” in Whimsyshire, i wonder if we can petition Blizz to get the cute cuddly “Larry, International Lord of hate” Teddy bear in there too?

Ori Pomerantz
1 year 2 months ago

Helping them find their inner child is a good idea. What part of the body is it in? Do we use a sword, a machete, or some other sharp instrument?

Chainsaws seem like a nice messy option. Goes with the ‘childish mess’ theme…

Crystal
1 year 2 months ago

Said in your best Biden voice….lol

laclongquan
1 year 2 months ago

The Phantom is bad at making sarcastic remarks. Bad Phantom! Ctrl Z and redo it!

Paul (Drak Bibliophile) Howard
1 year 2 months ago

I remembered how the Left whined about the Taliban but then whined about the evil Bush who attempted to do something about them. [Frown]

1 year 2 months ago

Obviously, Chimpy McBushHitler using the military to kill Talibani is infinitely more evil than the Taliban killing their own women and blowing up thousand year old monuments!

Check Your Privilege!

(man this crap makes my head hurt)

njoriole

That was sarcasm, right?

Paul (Drak Bibliophile) Howard

Yes, that was sarcasm.

Yes, Leonard….

!

1 year 2 months ago

Crap, I meant “Sheldon”..

Damn ruined a perfectly good joke….

ravenshrike
1 year 2 months ago

Given his Texas background vs Leonard’s more… upscale urban upbringing it’s much more likely that would have been Sheldon using sarcasm with Leonard being the nonplussed one.

Lawrie Ayres
1 year 2 months ago

Lets get a few thing straight. These Muslim warriors are trying to win favour with Allah and they know that should they be killed they will go straight to Muslim heaven. It is our sacred duty to facilitate that meeting and the left should be thrilled that us conservatives are willing to send these creeps to Allah and to use our own ammunition.

Ken Burton
1 year 2 months ago

… as long as that ammunition was dipped in pig’s blood first…

1 year 2 months ago

I’m curious about the legality of hiring a paramilitary organization to go shoot up Boko Haram. Is that against some international law? Is it more illegal than a country sending military people in? Is it more legal than just going over there myself and doing it? Who decides whether it is okay or not? If I went over and did it myself, would/could the US govt put me in prison or something?

1 year 2 months ago

They would blow you up with a drone strike. No witnesses, no problems.

Matthew
1 year 2 months ago

It would probably violate the conventions against mercenaries. Tom could answer better than I, of course.

Damn, I wish M-Day existed…

Ori Pomerantz
1 year 2 months ago

I think the applicable law would be Nigerian law. Of course, they couldn’t be mercenaries because that would be illegal. Instead, they’d be a private security and crime prevention company.

BTW, I think they really wouldn’t function as mercenaries under international law. They’re not participating in a war between recognized states, but attacking private criminals.

dave
1 year 2 months ago

Would it be illegal to take up a collection from private citizens to hire Blackwater( or the org de jure) to go kill these ass sucks? And would it really matter in the long run when you read the stats that the VD rates in 10 to 14 year old Russian girls is up by 40%. ?

John C Wright
1 year 2 months ago

“I’m curious about the legality of hiring a paramilitary organization to go shoot up Boko Haram. Is that against some international law? ”

I am a lawyer, but this is not my field, so I cannot answer the question authoritatively. I can tell you this: that when the British put their mind to wiping out the slave trade (and it was wiped out during the first half of my lifetime, mind you) they hired privateers to hunt down the slavers.

You heard me. Pirates verses slavers! What a great movie that would make.

(Larry, you can use that idea for your next novel. Please.)

Andrew
1 year 2 months ago

I can see this plot, and we can even do a hat tip to the Brits with the commanding officer. Navy guy deployed in captures a band of desperate men, forced from their homes (by our slavers), who have taken to piracy (but not murder and the like “redeemable pirates”). A disastrous boarding action, caused by the betrayal of an influential political type who profits from the slave trade, leaves our officer disgraced, wanted and with only a shadow of the crew he had. He unleashes the pirates to avenge his crew, recover their families and redeem the honor of his country by defeating the forces of evil. Gunfire and explosions later, pirates return to their homes and evil political type falls into a lake of fire.

1 year 2 months ago

Ummm..not exactly. Though tranzilaw has attempted to use piracy to justify universal jurisdiction, as piracy was so “heinous,” in fact, to the victims, piracy and privateering were usually indistinguishable. The difference is that privateers, being licensed by a state, were responsible to that state for their conduct, which made the state responsible to oversee and police them. It was the lack of a state over them that made pirates hosti generis, not what they did or where they did it.

Of course, one could cross over from one status to the other and many did.

Andrew
1 year 2 months ago

Curiosity: Would it be practical for a state sponsoring privateers to use its oversight to enforce “law of war” codes of conduct upon them? If a state could effectively do so, would such a power need privateers in the first place? Are privateers just an excuse for paying one group of criminals to target another? If part of the motive for hiring privateers is their ability to operate outside the parameters of the power’s own forces, wouldn’t imposing codes of conduct eliminate a great deal of their efficacy?

1 year 2 months ago

Absolutely practical. The thing with privateers, though, the reason that they were used, was that they’re _cheap_, and can even make the state a profit. (Yes, yes, occasionally plausible deniability cropped up there, too.)

Andrew
1 year 2 months ago

They may be financially cheaper. However, I’m not sure they’re practical if your organization can’t tolerate their normal tactics and behavior. Obviously, if you can deny responsibility, you can tolerate their tactics (practically speaking), but I don’t know if that would fly. Though, I suppose that’s what a CIA is for.

Fail Burton
1 year 2 months ago

What about land-pirates like the East India Company? They didn’t wear eye-patches or anything but they dressed like pirates and wore wigs ‘n’ shit.

1 year 2 months ago

Sometimes you encounter a gun-grabber who claims that the Second Amendment only applies to the weapons that were in use at the time (“Sure, you can have a muzzle-loading musket, but not a scary black rifle”).

I like to point out that at the time of ratification private individuals could, and did, own fully armed and crewed ships of war, which (just to twist the knife) they operated for profit.

1 year 2 months ago

The United States never signed the treaty outlawing privateers. Congress still has constitutional authority to issue letters of marque and reprisal.

John C Wright
1 year 2 months ago

One of the plot points of Poul Anderson’s THE STAR FOX was that the world government failed to forbid its member states from issuing letters of marque and reprisal, and the main characters get in their privately built and own warship and go. It’s is a pretty good story.

You heard me. Pirates verses slavers! What a great movie that would make.

I’ll ‘settle’ for a novel, written perhaps by our excellent host, or someone he knows. *grin*

Jake
1 year 2 months ago

For the record, the last instance of an actual privateer I’ve heard of was surprisingly recent. Within living memory, in fact: the US War Department commissioned the Goodyear Blimp to patrol coastal waters, on the lookout for German U-Boats during the Second World War. In an age before radar and nuclear submarines, this made sense: long visual range, good radio conditions, extreme loiter times – it was a natural fit. I think they carried a rifle or two, but their biggest weapons were binoculars and radios. Congress drew up a full-on Letter of Marque to make it official.

So, that means that the last time anyone commissioned a privateer, they wound up with an airship hoisting the black flag to hunt Nazis.

Truly, it does not get better than that.

1 year 2 months ago

I so totally agree. Of course, the whole liberal concept that all people are basically good is flawed, and of course since all people are good, this whole picture thing will make the bad guys feel guilt and of course they will return the girls to their families and make nice. Dudes, that is not gonna happen. The only way to cure this problem is to eliminate the cause, and I don’t think your signs and righteous indignation is going to cut it.

Sean
1 year 2 months ago

Of course it’s not going to do any good and of course the girls aren’t going to be returned. Boko’s head shithead has already released a statement that he’s going to sell the girls into slavery.

1 year 2 months ago

But, come on, we just need more famous people to say it’s bad.

If enough people come out against it in twitter, then we can channel all the positive energy and feed it to the care bears who can do the care bear stare and cause all the mean bad people to understand how mean and bad they are and then free all the girls while crying a public apology!

It’s mean hatey mchatertons like you who prevent this from becoming a reality!

Semper Why
1 year 2 months ago

This isn’t about getting the girls back or even about shaming the slavers into rethinking their life.

This is about preening for the public and showing their audience that they really, really care. It’s signalling their status as members of the elite club of caring liberals.

monkeyfan

Absolutely spot on.

(another) Bob
1 year 2 months ago

This. It also explains why there will never be a #RealMenDon’tSupportMurderousDictatorships campaign.

(I was just about throwing things at the TV when I saw Penn on the televised bits of Chavez’s funeral, looking so serious.)

1 year 2 months ago

It’s about signaling to anyone with the sense that God gave a gnat that they are self-absorbed nitwits.

I would love to see a President who would react to one of these barbarisms by sending out a team to collect heads. Extra points if, when the Usual Suspects demanded an explanation he said “Well, Delta Force needed the exercise”.

Not gonna happen. A Republican would get impeached, and no Democrat understands military force and its employment well enough to avoid turning the whole thing into a neon lit, gas powered Mongolian clusterfuck.

*sigh*

1 year 2 months ago

I’m with you on this one, Larry. Completely. I really wish Exodus was a real organization. I’d probably enlist.

But hey, we don’t really need military action, because we’ve totally got Twitter pictures of celebrities holding up signs. Who needs to shoot bad guys in the face when you’ve got Sean Penn holding up a sign?

I really feel bad that I used to be one of these jerkoffs. At least it wasn’t a permanent condition.

perlhaqr

I’d probably enlist.

Same here. I’d probably die, and fairly fast, but at least I’d feel like I wasn’t just wasting my life.

1 year 2 months ago

I’m 40 years old and out of shape. I’d be among the first to die. But I’d rather be cannon fodder for a noble cause than live to a ripe old age because I was too scared to do something.

caerrig

Amen brother

Matthew House
1 year 2 months ago

That could be a story in it’s own right. A group of aging, retired, partially crippled, what-have-you men… Deciding that some things -are- worth dying for, and by god, they’re going to stand, and -fight-. Most, almost all of them die. But not without results…Done right, it could be -Glorious-.

“The Not-Quite-Expendables”?

monkeyfan
1 year 2 months ago

We could cal ourselves The Depends-ables…

1 year 2 months ago

I’d sign on in a heartbeat. I’d probably die just as fast, but at least I’d die doing what I believed was the right thing.

At least I won’t die alone. :D

1 year 2 months ago

You don’t need to sign on to kill people, gosh….

We will start a letter writing campaign. we can send angry letters telling them how wrong they are!! YEAH!

It will be beautiful, (lip quiver)

1 year 2 months ago

Good point. But I mean business, so I’ll be sure to make sure my letter uses very harsh language.

I don’t want these turdnuggets to understand that I’m not playing around!

1 year 2 months ago

You’re obviously a misogynistic racist and they will write about you on the internetz.

Fail Burton
1 year 2 months ago

HEADLINE: Progressive science fiction writers make stunning claim they are against rape and child slavery.

Said one author: “So many cis-het white men are in favor of that we felt we had to speak up.”

Go to SFWA.org for more details and also how to accurately depict non-whites in your misogynist SFF without being a typically white racist.

1 year 2 months ago

Crap, I sure hope so. Entertainment for DAYZ! Because PRIVILIGE! And Bush did it so you’re a RACIST!

1 year 2 months ago

By the way, a pic of the First Lady Klingon beheading some slaver with her batleth might have been more effective. What I really want to know is how she gets her brow ridges all smooth like that. You can hardly see ‘em.

rocinante2
1 year 2 months ago

On behalf of the Klingon-American community, I’m offended ;-) *That* woman has *no* honor.

(Yeah, yeah; I remember Lursa and B’etor. I can also tell the difference between “bug” and “feature”.)

the Northwestern Diamondback
1 year 2 months ago

Is that like how Klingon software is never “released”, it FIGHTS its way out over the dead bodies of its software engineers? :P

I echo this statement! The First Lady cannot possibly be Klingon. She is no warrior, and births no warriors and is not wife to a warrior!

I was tempted, for an instant, to insinuate Ferengi bloodlines, but she doesn’t fit it either.

Expendable Henchman
1 year 2 months ago

Good move on the discretion, Shadowdancer. Klingons stop when you’re dead. Ferengi just keep on suing your descendants. And ancestors, pets, neighbors….

@Henchman

Yeah, I thought about it for a few seconds because if nothing else, Lady Hissyface and her hubby have run the greatest scam in recent history, and their supporters can’t give them up because they’ll then look like complete and total idiots. But you can get a Ferengi to uphold their side of their deal, especially if you outwit them; and they have a form of honor that goes along with profit. I can’t quite think of an example that would fit the Zeroes, not with their brazeness.

Tom
1 year 2 months ago

I could go for a little safari in the Sambisa Forest

Fail Burton

No need for that. Watch:

END SLAVERY AND KIDNAPPING NOW BY TYING A YELLOW RIBBON AROUND THE OLD OAK TREE AND THEN GO TAKE A NAP!!!

See, that takes care of that. Problem solved. Why would anyone need guns? Ish.

Hasn’t anyone read about how we defeated Hitler by binding an entire forest of oak trees?

IronOx
1 year 2 months ago

Thank you. Saw a Change.org email on it and went WTF, who is going to care about a freaking petition on this. As usual, you put it so much better than I could have.

1 year 2 months ago

It gets better. It seems the MorOns at MoveOn.org have had a petition up to KEEP Hillary! and the Obama Administration from calling poor, misunderstood Boko Haram that nasty, hatey word, “terrorist”.

Worse still, people are STILL signing the Petition. . .

Holy mother of God, they’re stupid. /facepalm

BobtheRegisterredFool
1 year 2 months ago

To an adversarial ear, the libertines’ insistence that we tolerate diversity when it comes to sexual practices sounds inclusive of that sort of stuff.

Or it could be the school of thought that feels that ‘culture’ excuses a multitude of sins, presuming we aren’t talking the western Judeo-Christian sort of ‘sin’.

In fairness, many of the signers might dispute other conclusions of mine of what is and isn’t a terrorist organization, worth destroying on general principles.

Ad Astra
1 year 2 months ago

“Well, you see, kidnapping children for sexual purposes apparently isn’t innately political.”

Of course it isn’t it has a long and ongoing cultural history with the “religion of peace” you see.

BobtheRegisterredFool
1 year 2 months ago

I was thinking as much about those that cannot be discouraged from kidnapping and murdering youngsters for jollies. Those are in just about every population.

Growing up, they were more active in my neck of the woods than Muslim raiders or communist guerrillas. The Indian wars had also been long over. So the murdering pederasts tend to be on my mind more than the others.

I also see parallels between pederasts and others who refuse to subordinate their sexual desires to an objective view of right and wrong. As in a view of morality in sexual matters that is not derived from sexual desires.

Book
1 year 2 months ago

I’m of two minds about this. Because slavery = bad. Slavery = very, very bad. And I have no problem starting a hashtag or talking to friends or whatever is needed in order to make sure that people are aware that slavery still exists and that it needs to be fought. It’s scary as hell how many idiots out there have no clue this is going on. Because, Beyonce! And stuff!

So with that in mind, I have no problem with the hashtag campaign. I think it’s awesome. Hell, I’ll even support it and take a sad selfie of myself doing the same if it gets people to pay the f**k attention, dammit.

What I find ridiculous is that the left does crap like this… and then that’s where it ends. For them, “awareness” is the goal. We all need to be aware that slavery exists, that these children were stolen, that very bad things are happening elsewhere in the world. We need to be aware and we need to feel really, really bad about it and we need to tell each other how really, really bad we feel, but that’s about it. Goal accomplished. Feel Bad and Awareness is the end-game. Nothing more needs to be said.

Except “check your privilege,” I guess, when it’s brought up that maybe we should be doing something about this. Not just “spreading awareness.”

Jonathan
1 year 2 months ago

Consider one more thing: if raising awareness really worked, then is the Left guilty by omission when it doesn’t raise awareness of other forms of evil? What about giving lots of coverage to certain conflicts and totally disregarding others?

For instance, 200,000 dead in Sudan got less press than the Israeli-Palestinian conflict in which less than 25,000 people have died . . . in the past forty years .

In Syria, over 100,000 people have died, and no one gave a damn until Pres. Obama made his red-line gaffe.

In CAR there is widespread civil war with horrors that gets hardly a trace of media coverage.

In Iraq and Pakistan Christians are targeted with impunity.

I could go on.

The truth is that Boko Haram have been active for years. The only reason why they became front page news is because of the abduction of these girls. If they had killed a few dozen civilians, instead, no one of note would be talking about them.

Fail Burton
1 year 2 months ago

Last year, at the Australian SF convention Continuum, N.K. Jemisin claimed Australia wasn’t a safe place for people of color…

…a few years after over 5 million people died in the 2nd Congo War.

This year’s Continuum Guest of Honor is Jim Hines. So get ready for more SFF-less SFF. I can see his speech now:

“Greetings from America with hugs and kittens and googly goblin eyes. My, my… you Ozzies have a lot rapes, dontcha…”

Quatermain
1 year 2 months ago

I borrowed this comment for a Facebook debate because it makes a really good point and it does so in a pretty cogent manner.

1 year 2 months ago

Apparently they killed 65 young boys once and nobody made a single tweet about it.

(They also killed hundreds of people while kidnapping those girls, but hey, they were likely non girls.)

John C Wright
1 year 2 months ago

Leftism is the sin that looks like a mental disease. It is the state of mine where an otherwise grown up man pretends he is an infant who cannot form the concept of cause and effect. He then demands the effect without the cause.

This is true from the lowest to the highest of their thought. They want prosperity without the hard work and Anglo-American laws protecting private property which alone make prosperity possible.

They want peace without the good armed men ready to suffer the hell of war and eager to work painful harm on evil armed men which alone makes peace possible.

They want equality of law without the blindness of justice to matter of race and creed and rank and color which alone makes equality possible.

They want modern science without the rigorous objectivity of thought, the rejection of consensus and the academic independence of inquiry which alone makes modern science possible.

They want a universe without a deity to create it. They want a moral code without an objective source of virtues to create it.

They want the benefits of civilization, but without the Greco-Roman philosophy, the Judeo-Christian values, and the Anglo-American law without which civilization is the hell of vice and tyranny in the hellhole of misery and poverty (cf. ancient Babylon, modern Red China).

They want an flying unicorn pony with rainbow magic sparkles to fly them to the moon which they want to be made of green cheese and they want it NOW.

Fail Burton
1 year 2 months ago

In other words they have identified success with white men, want that success, but without the white men. Bit of a sticky wicket there, as Omar Khayyam said.

Funny how they never stray far from that which they hate. In fact they seem to dote on us, like chewed gum dotes on window sills. Too bad there’s no more new continents. Cuz, really, one of us should leave.

Looking forward to the first WisCon SF convention aboard their feminist-designed and built space-station “Safe Space.”

Mebbe about the time the sun burns out.

Andrew
1 year 2 months ago

I don’t think it’s the white men exactly. It’s more materialist than that. Success is associated with the products of success, the things that people who are successful have. Computers, tools, houses and such. If we give people computers, tools and houses, then they will be successful (not poor). The trouble is, that success is a result, and the products of success are a secondary result. Houses don’t cause houses, nor do computers cause computers. Certain modes of action and models of behavior result in success, computers and houses.

The materialistic outlook says that the things are responsible for their own existence ( but doesn’t say it because it sounds stupid) and the behavior of people, rather than the behaviors of individuals are responsible for the existence of things. Generational poverty is a disease, true, but it’s not malnutrition, it’s a behavioral disorder.

Underwhelmed
1 year 2 months ago

You know, I really really want to like your POV – and then you trot out the Christian misogyny crap. And speaking as a Christian woman, let me tell you it’s massively offensive. You have noticed, I hope, that at no point does Jesus ever demean and oppress women? All that biblical oppression of women comes from the OT and people who weren’t Jesus. It’s Christian men like you who give the religion a bad name, and so much fodder for the truly appalling progressive left.

1 year 2 months ago

“Christian misogyny”? What the hell are you talking about?

John C Wright
1 year 2 months ago

You have noticed, I hope, that at no point do I ever demean and oppress women. Quite the opposite. You make an accusation I frankly do not understand.

My comment was this: “They want equality of women without the chivalry and chastity and other uniquely Christian social artifacts which alone make equality of women possible.”

Please look at what the words actually say. There are three statements:

1. Without chivalry, no equality for women.

Chivalry is the mystical adoration of men who are willing to defend women with their lives rather than exploit them or allow see them exploited.

It is a devotion to the proposition that women not be demeaned.

We live in a world where chivalry is dying. In its place we have a porn-drenched abattoir of sexual malfeasance. I humbly submit that women in this environment have more legal equality but less real equality than the average women of your grandmother’s day enjoyed. Being used and abandoned by one man after another is not equality.

Once chivalry is entirely dead, we will treat women the way Muslims treat them.

The statement is the opposite of demeaning. It is a call for men to adore and uplift the station of women.

2. Without chastity, no equality for women.

What we have now is a sexual free for all. The inevitable outcome of a free for all is that the childbearing sex is stuck with the duties of child-rearing, with little or no help from the menfolk.

The rate of venereal disease goes up, the suicide rate for women goes up. Daughters are raised with no father figures, and an astronomical number of daughters are killed in the womb.

Even in states where prostitution is legal, whores are beaten and controlled by their pimps. The culture of unchastity leads to the culture of abortion. Paramours are not husbands but much more ruthless both to their womenfolk and to her children by other men.

THAT lifestyle is oppression, because it leaves women helpless to male sexual predation. Chastity is rescue from oppression.

If you think I am saying that only women need be chaste and not men, you are inventing words that are not on the page. I am Catholic: The Ten Commandments apply to both sexes with equal force.

3. These and other cultural artifacts are uniquely Christian.

Forgive me, but I cannot see how this statement is insulting, or even controversial.

In India or Babylon, or China, or among the nightmare empire of the Aztecs, women enjoyed less respect and fewer rights Christendom bestowed even as early as the Middle Ages.

I assure you no Roman matron of the pagan days had the authority of an abbess or the founder of an order of nuns. An the ancient Greeks kept their women in harem, or something like.

To sum up: what I said was that votes for women came out of Anglo American law. I called this ‘ a uniquely Christian artifact’.

Without chivalry, men will abuse women. The women are equally free to abuse men back, but since we don’t bear children, the cost to us is less.

Without chastity, the family structure suffers, and women are again exploited and unduly burdened.

If you found this offensive, I blame myself for being unclear. The offense was unintentional.

Jay
1 year 2 months ago

Larry, absolutely spot on here, are you familiar with ourrescuedotorg I saw them at the Salt Lake Comicon last month and stopped and talked with one of their guys, they seem like a pretty legit operation, trying to do their part.

RKW
1 year 2 months ago

Real Men Don’t Buy Girls… But apparently they give them quaaludes and alcohol and then rape them.
Do these Twitter hastags remind anyone else of “Free Tibet” bumper stickers?

CombatMissionary
1 year 2 months ago

Haven’t you seen the news lately? Real men don’t buy girls… they hire boys to act in their films and then rape the hell out of them. Apparently.

perlhaqr
1 year 2 months ago

I keep wanting to make a similar bumper sticker that reads “Free China”.

Austin
1 year 2 months ago

Don’t see many of those. More often “Free Darfur” stickers the libprogs put on their smart cars to feel like they’re “doing something.”

Which is what liberalism is about these days: feeling good. Be it feeling good about stopping perceived social injustice from bigots (like Larry), feeling good about stopping genocide by “raising awareness”, or feeling good about helping the poor with handouts they just get dependent on. There’s no logic. There’s not even any selflessness, no matter what they say. It’s all about doing things that make them feel good.

CombatMissionary
1 year 2 months ago

I was at the college one day with my wife enrolling for the next semester when we got approached by a kid who said, “Excuse me, would you guys like to sign a petition to stop the genocide in Darfur?” I looked at my wife, who promptly initiated the “Oh, here we go again” eye-roll, and I said, “What do you think, Dear? Should me and my boys mount up an M-1 Abrams and go put a stop to some genocide?”
The kid turned about five shades of pale as his brain vapor-locked. After a second, I just said, “I’ll tell you what, you have a great day.” We stepped around him and moved on.

Austin
1 year 2 months ago

Had a few of those on campus. Best one was a bunch of a-holes passing out flyers about their “Protect der Chilluns” group. I asked them if they were planning on arming teachers to the level of the crazies trying to shoot up schools. I really wish I had a picture of the face of this guy. It’s the closest thing I’ve ever seen to someone dying of an aneurism.

Synova
1 year 2 months ago

I think that’s what gets to me most on campus (or at science fiction conventions time to time… but lets not go there) since I went back to school isn’t that some people have a stupid opinion… it’s that they can’t even *imagine* that anyone they meet will have a different opinion.

joecrouse
1 year 2 months ago

RKW we all buy them some windup buying them returning them and still having to pay. Most of us are smart enough to not treat em as property.

A smart man pays a premium for qualtity cleanlyness and leases one for an evening or a weekend. Its less hassle in the long run.

1 year 2 months ago

I’m waiting for the one with Charlie Sheen.

1 year 2 months ago

With Charlie, it’s usually more of a short term lease than an outright buy.

Jeff Gauch
1 year 2 months ago

Charlie doesn’t buy women. He buys their departure.

joecrouse
1 year 2 months ago

Its actually the smarter way to do things especially for men from my generation.

1 year 2 months ago

As long as the women are consenting, I’ve got no issues with it. It’s a mutually beneficial transaction, the glory of capitalism and all that.

My problem with it – and I’m not saying anyone here does this or disagrees with me even – are these assholes who push young girls into that life before they’re old enough to even be allowed to consent. Those guys, I want to string up by their short, curly ones and torture until they beg for death.

ratseal
1 year 2 months ago

I think, I hope – that the folks who view prostitution as a problem free economic transaction recognize that it is possible, even common, to compel someone to make free economic choices originating from a terrible set of options. This is true regardless of age.

SirBrass
1 year 2 months ago

I’ve got an idea to both deal with the problem and keep the libprog outrage down:

HIRE some very good mercs to go kill boko haram or whatever his name is and his followers and rescue the girls, but pay a big fat bonus if they’re able to do it while making it look like a totally different group did it.

Pass the blame, rescue the girls, kill the scumbuckets. Problem solved, libprogs don’t know any better, everybody wins.

C.S.Gilmore
1 year 2 months ago

I like it but can we have them going in as the libprogs just to mess with their minds to the extreme, who knows maybe it will mess them up so bad that they will take credit for it and start actually doing things because then they will have a name to hold up or lose face. :) Exploding heads. :)

1 year 2 months ago

Sorry I just realized how unclear that was. Have the mercenaries go in as libprogs, the libprogs can than either be super offended or take the credit and have a reputation to actually uphold somehow or risk losing face.

Kristophr
1 year 2 months ago

Wear Waffen-SS uniforms while the killing the Boko Haram lunatics. Film themselves throwing nazi salutes and speaking in bad WWII-movie German over the dead slavers’ bodies.

Post the vids on you-tube.

( disclaimer: I am a libertarian, and not a neo-nazi. But I do like confusing libtards )

Andrew
1 year 2 months ago

You could probably find a more challenging hobby.

Kristophr
1 year 2 months ago

Truth. It’s kinda easy. But fun.

SirBrass
1 year 2 months ago

Kristophr, that’s normally what we would call a “guilty pleasure” :P

[…] Operation Pouty Face | Monster Hunter Nation. […]

Bruce
1 year 2 months ago

By book bombing Bad Penny, Larry has done more to combat slavery than any of these idiots with their selfies.

1 year 2 months ago

Hmm, Sean Penn. How many divisions does he have? How many drones?

Wes S.
1 year 2 months ago

That depends on how you define “drone,” doesn’t it? Because Hollywood is just chock full of drones…

1 year 2 months ago

True, Wes, but Hollywood drones aren’t very reliable — they’re just as likely to melt down as they are to explode.

Good one!

I’d like to share this as well:

“Reports from the ground told of infuriated locals arming themselves with whatever they could find and going into militant-controlled areas because the soldiers deployed in the search effort refused to.”

Quoted from the linked article.

junior

Hmm…

That’s a sign of things starting to get very interesting. On the one hand, regions with large amounts of lawlessness *need* to have a local armed citizenry. On the other hand, governments start to get very touchy about that sort of thing because the locals are effectively a local army that the government doesn’t control. And also because once the fighting’s done, the locals don’t always put down their arms.

How the Nigerian government reacts to the news that the locals are arming up will be very important.

Fail Burton
1 year 2 months ago

This reminds me of the sign-holding campaign that tipped the balance in favor of the Allies in the European Theater of Operations in WW II.

That and the 117th motorized division of tough chicks. Their motto: “We Have Always Fought… and We Got the Paintings To Prove It.”

Plus about 10 gazillion bombs and bullets.

I’m holding up my own sign right now QUILTbros and bags. Can you read it? It says “Pie-Chart This.”

Good to know.

Fail Burton
1 year 2 months ago

If Boko Haram is selling these girls for 12 bucks, why isn’t Sean Penn holding a sign offering, like… 15 bucks? I’m sure Penn would be a lot nicer to them and give them back to their families.

Or the Screen Actors Guild could simply make bulk payments to Boko Haram to not kidnap anyone in the first place. I’m sure Boko Haram would like to live in a nice apt. with lots of blue-rays instead of running around damp forests. They’ve shown they want wives to settle down with – they just don’t know how to properly woo girls due to spending all their money on rocket propelled grenades.

Why spend 100 million dollars and get people killed when Sean Penn can send in his agent to cut a deal? Who knows, they might end up starring in Hollywood films. See: diversity.

1 year 2 months ago

Rudyard Kipling says that’s a bad idea.

Rob Crawford
1 year 2 months ago

“If Boko Haram is selling these girls for 12 bucks, why isn’t Sean Penn holding a sign offering, like… 15 bucks?”

Because all that does is make it a more profitable enterprise for the slavers.

I prefer the solution proposed by Joel Rosenberg — kill the slavers. Kill them, kill the ones that come later, and keep killing slavers until no one wants to be a slavery anymore because it’s not a way to get rich, but a short trip to a shallow, unmarked grave.

CombatMissionary
1 year 2 months ago

Rawlenyanzi, I think Kipling would have liked the half-dozen Martini-Henry Enfields I brought back from the Hindu Kush. I need to do some more research so I can get a set of dies put together to load for it, and I need to learn some gunsmithing to get them in firing order, but when I’m done with them they’ll make a heck of a conversation piece when mounted over my mantle. I did some internet research, and all but one appear to me to be genuine British Army pieces. Although I know that gun dealers everywhere say genuine British Army Enfields in the Hindu Kush don’t exist.

It pays to be around when an infantry Sergeant Major throws a hissy fit about the TOC closet being full of sh** and starts throwing said sh** into the FOB yard. :D

SirBrass
1 year 2 months ago

Slosh them with martinis. That’s a very Kipling-esque way of dealing with them, aye!

Ad Astra
1 year 2 months ago

“Rudyard Kipling says that’s a bad idea.”
“Because all that does is make it a more profitable enterprise for the slavers.”

Ah but what if in very tine fine print the sale contract also said “post sale merchandise exchange complementary anti-personnel cluster munitions included.” ?

Andrew
1 year 2 months ago

Bloody hell – the human race has descended from ‘Deus Vult’ to pouty faces… Orwell missed half the formulation about the ‘rough men’ – it requires the rest of the human race to tolerate them doing their bloody jobs.

Pete
1 year 2 months ago

Be fair. This isn’t the human race acting like this. It’s a bunch of pampered spoiled childr… adults that have very little grounding in reality. If you look at that particular demographic, this behavior isn’t exactly a low for them. (Please note I’m not defending their actions, I’m just saying that their stupidity could be, and have been, exhibited in many more damaging ways.)

MPH
1 year 2 months ago

Yep. I’ve read a few things about Sean Penn’s safari into post-Katrina New Orleans. Quite a few people who saw him were a bit upset that he couldn’t do anything to actually help, what with his boat being full of his camera man, sound man, support staff, etc.

NKR
1 year 2 months ago

Great post, Larry! Real Men Don’t Buy Girls. In Hollywood, though, some do buy opportunities to rape young men. But that’s totally different. :p

lonejanitor
1 year 2 months ago

AND young girls. And they had no problem with Polanski doing it.

NKR
1 year 2 months ago

Too true. So I guess what they’re really saying is that real men aren’t part of the entertainment industry. Kinda knew that already, though.

ratseal
1 year 2 months ago

I find the notion that the horny, high, bored (and thus prone to violence – ask me how I know) gang that snatched the women from that school are (a) watching the trending hashtag and (b) are worried about it to be hilarious.

A couple things – I have operated (and not in the Myke Cole sense) in few African countries – finding some candidate bad guys and making certain that you have the ‘right’ bad guys (because in select nations in Africa (and not just Africa) nearly every armed group is responsible for something that would violate the law of war as referenced by the UN) is tough. Solutions that use local forces means that you are hiring your own thugs. No one is clean.

Why doesn’t the media call it what it is? If you snatch someone out of their home, subdue them, use them sexually, and sell them to someone who compels their labor and sexual availability by force – you are a slaver. This business is common in several places – but since the skin color of the slavers matches that of their victims it doesn’t fit the narrative of privilege. Please note that the slavers were mostly Muslim and their victims mostly Christian – again, this doesn’t match the privilege narrative so it doesn’t get any play.

Note that this event happened 3 weeks ago and was reported then. Who did anything then? Guess it took a while for caring about this to be cool.

CombatMissionary
1 year 2 months ago

Not having privilege is a BITCH!

ratseal
1 year 2 months ago

Had the slavers been of a different race the outcry would have been instantaneous and material international action would already have occured. I suppose that it take longer to recognize evil when it doesn’t align with helpful color coding.

Madoc Pope

Larry,

Actually, this _should_ be JUST the thing for Sean Penn. He likes personally involving himself in “noble” causes – so long as his entourage and personal photographer is there at his side to tend to his needs and record his greatness in his lowering himself to help.

So, the guy has the money, he has the means, he has armed himself to the teeth in the past, thus, why not send him?

It’d be a perfect way to demonstrate that his life isn’t just the calculated posturing of an actor’s method. But, in reality, that he willing to back up his pouty faced sentiment with his own sweat and blood! The optics on this are fabulous! And after wading into the African bush and killing as many Islamists as he could find – all recorded in surround sound HD digital, of course – he could come back and earn millions telling his tale and then starring in a movie about it – with he himself as its star, of course.

It’d be an absolute win / win for all!

And if all he does is just hold that stupid sign then that says everything about the “man” he is…

Sean
1 year 2 months ago

Send him to negotiate for the return the girls. Boko Haram has a tendency I’ve read recently of BEHEADING negotiators. We send him to negotiate, they send us back his headless corpse. works for me

Synova
1 year 2 months ago

But it’s far more important to Care Hard.

Care Hard is like Die Hard but without actually doing anything to stop the bad guys.

Synova
1 year 2 months ago

Oh crap… sorry. Can I make that go away?

CombatMissionary
1 year 2 months ago

Oh, my GOSH! What a douche! BAD Synova, BAD! ;)

That’s the problem with Lefties. They can’t tell the difference between a raping, pillaging mob of slavers and thugs and an actual organized military force that fights according to rules and has a governmental mandate to save those who would otherwise get raped and pillaged.

“If I had a rocket launcher…”
What’s stopping you from buying one, you moron? You’re a singer/songwriter. You could get a rocket launcher and retaliate with just the cost of the two or three lines of coke you did for lunch today!

I can just see the ad campaign now. “Hey, Sean Penn! For the cost of ONE line of coke that we all know you did this morning (let’s not kid ourselves, Spicoli), you can equip an entire African village to burn a slaving mob to the ground. Only YOU can make a difference, Hollywood.”

We can call it, “From white lines to red lines.”

Andrew
1 year 2 months ago

CombatMissionary, that was my thought as well. RPG’s aren’t that expensive, and tend to be widely available in regions where helicopters shoot stuff frequently. Better yet, the guy could buy a .50 in most any gun store legally. Since he’s clearly not doing that, the song is an example of someone being completely full of it.

I like the idea of arming villagers, but I don’t know if there is sufficient will to fight to make it worthwhile. Seems like a potential Green Beanie job. Hey…you writer types…that sounds like a book I’d buy.

CombatMissionary
1 year 2 months ago

How about a new social awareness campaign?

#JustSayNoToDo-NothingHollywoodDouchebags

junior
1 year 2 months ago

The problem with arming villagers in that part of the world is that they don’t always go back home quietly when they’re done. So while it’s a very good short term solution, it can have bad long-term repercussions. You can end up with a situation like Afghanistan or Somalia with a self-styled “warlord” in every other village. Of course, it’s not at all hard to get weapons in that region. But actively encouraging the formation of militias (what is really needed before those armed villagers can do much good) is always risky.

And that’s also why the national governments tend to be very wary of local militias as well.

Matthew
1 year 2 months ago

I’m somewhat less worried about that, since one of the issues with warlords is that, since only their people are armed (and maybe trained), they get to dictate.

If everyone they want to control is also armed, that becomes a dicier proposition.

Jeff Gauch
1 year 2 months ago

I seem to remember somebody saying something about a well-regulated militia being necessary to the security of a free state.

Synova
1 year 2 months ago

I think that the cause and effect relationship between an armed militia and a free state is sort of non-directional. I was going to say circular, but that’s not right either. Er… coexistent rather than causal… or something.

It has to do mostly with the status of the people in relationship to those who are rulers. Are people viewed as elements of responsibility and stability? Throughout history and across cultures “citizens” have been armed, and non-citizens have been disarmed. The ruling class has an interest in stability and maintaining the status quo so the men of the ruling class are trusted with the weapons of war as normal attire and everyone with no rational reason to favor the status quo are mistrusted and disarmed.

If you’ve GOT a free state, then the list of “entitled to weapons of war as daily wear” includes everyone. If you don’t have a free state then arming people is an invitation to civil war on account of people have *reason* to revolt.

OTOH, the mere action of public proclamation… that YOU are an equal citizen, you are TRUSTED, you are a force for good and stability and OF COURSE you ought to all have weapons of war in order to form protective militias for your school girls… that can (or ought to) do a lot to move a people group or faction into the “stake in ensuring stability” camp.

So egg->chicken or chicken->egg… who knows?

Dan G
1 year 2 months ago

Man, I don’t think there has ever been a more fitting and appropriate last name than this dude’s. What a jerkoff.

Alan S.

New foreign aid policy:

If you want aid, you cede all rights to land on a border. (A water border for all non-landbound places). Not as a lease, but as sovreign soil. No, I don’t give a darn how crappy it is: C4, repeat.

A 10k by 10k empty box can still hold a heck of a lot of conex. You want food aid? Come visit the well-protected ‘proto-Imperial Free City’. Medical? Need a job? Want education in English?

Stop flushing the money through the existing cities, where the top tier takes their 50%, and the next tier takes -their- 50%, and the lower tier just makes sure it’s all untraceable.

Matthew
1 year 2 months ago

My preferred medium term solution: Arm the villages to so as to stomp raiders.

Copied from another discussion (involving warlords, but similar applies)
=======
Arm and train the villagers, with a focus on what can be done with locally sourced materials and labour in terms of defensive fortification. You have a group of Western trainers work with each village on a medium term (several month) basis. They’d need that for good training time, anyway. IIRC, this was the original mission of the US SOCOM. Hard to overrun slaughter people when they have pre-built defenses and are firing back with a semi-decent level of skill. Even if you succeed, you lose enough that it’s not possible to to go on doing it repeatedly.

A single village is not capable of seriously attacking others, generally, since it doesn’t have the logistics for it. Make the villages hard targets instead of soft ones. Especially when one has proper defenses (bulwarks and fighting positions which can be planned and prepared well in advance are a major force multiplier), it’s not really feasible.

I’m talking small arms here, btw. AK47s and RPGs, mostly. Maybe some mortars in fixed positions, as well. The former are so common as to not be worth hijacking by villagers for sale, and the latter are (or can be made to be) an epic pain in the ass to move without the right gear. That means the villages would not be targets for looting, since any attacker would lose more than he gained. It should also be made clear to village leadership that, while ammo resupply would be forthcoming, weapon resupply would be much more limited (prevents them from selling the stuff off for cash).

An added twist could be a reaction force of helicopter gunships (or better yet, A-10 Warthogs) able to support a village in serious danger and screaming for help.

CombatMissionary
1 year 2 months ago

So, you’re talking a Green Berets mission, then? ;)

Matthew
1 year 2 months ago

Well, that *is* sort of their founding concept, after all.

Or do it per M-Day, Carrera, Kildar…

I’m sure there’d be plenty of vets willing to help out in the cause of stomping bad guys.

Rob Crawford

Te Oppresso Liber

CombatMissionary
1 year 2 months ago

I respect those guys like Hell.

SirBrass
1 year 2 months ago

Roland the Headless Thompson Gunner time… before he got his head blown off…

Andrew
1 year 2 months ago

With appropriate support and training, I think this is possible. You don’t need them to be capable of defeating a group like Boko Haram (that’s a big ask), just to be more trouble than it’s worth.

Of course, eventually, the existence of free villages becomes a threat in itself. Given the comparative strength of forces, not sure how to preserve the gains at that point.

Fail Burton
1 year 2 months ago

Well at least now we understand the dynamic as to why Ann Leckie and Kameron Hurley think the white chapter of Boko Haram called the GOP want to punch them and drag them behind pick-up trucks as opposed to carrying them away on motorcycles.

Let us once again congratulate Hurley on her Hugo nomination for “We Have Always Done Jack Shit,” which she continues to do by making youtube videos with pictures of women who look just like someone who might actually rescue those girls…

…but they aren’t…

… and so they won’t.

Someone like me will. Tweet, tweet little birdies. Don’t forget to pie-chart everything for later study. In this case I think the QUILTbag slice of the pie-chart will be around zero. They won’t whine about that lack of diversity. Why would they – they cry at comedians and maybe clowns too. Better that cis-het men should have their heads shot off. That leaves more precious darlings to write precious books about gender pronouns and bi-sexual medieval PoC who order men around without getting acid thrown in their faces, although Leckie and Hurley apparently have recurring dreams we want to do that.

borderwalker13
1 year 2 months ago

Who, exactly, does Ms. Hurley think wants to kill her (by dragging, or otherwise)?

keranih
1 year 2 months ago

>>>did a lot of research on human trafficking and modern slavery

Any reccommendations for texts on the subject? (Not looking for personnal accounts so much as analysis of operations, economy, methods, and valid means of disruption.)

As an American, I have a great deal of sympathy for those nations trying to root out the use of slaves within their borders. By our own example, it is not easy, quick, nor cheap.

Jonathan
1 year 2 months ago

It is often not called slavery, but is. Read up on the foreign workers in the Persian Gulf states.

There is also a massive amount of sex slaves, and these can be found everywhere, including the West. I once saw a video of a police raid in which the slaves were found behind a wall, where each had a tiny niche to sleep in between shifts. Utterly horrific.

[…] About the kidnappings that have been happening in Nigeria, and the celebrity left’s response: […]

sabrinachase
1 year 2 months ago

Hey, International Lord of Hate (#234, but who’s counting). I dare you to take a picture of yourself with a sign reading “Real Men Arm Girls” :-) Because you do, you admitted it several times! Shamelessly even!

Somebody needs to make some el cheepo Liberator pistols for those poor girls instead of #hashtagging them to death…

Seconded.

Austin
1 year 2 months ago

The motion for Larry to take a picture of himself holding a sign reading “Real Men Arm Girls” has been seconded. Mr Speaker, if you would direct this assembly we can carry this to a vote.

CombatMissionary
1 year 2 months ago

Maybe at the next Con Larry goes to, my mom could show up with her Winchester model 1200 and get her picture taken with Larry holding that sign? Larry could take photos and then autograph them. I’d pay ten bucks for that. “Larry! Come here and take some of my sweet, sweaty money!”

Eamon J. Cole

Oh, yes. Very yes.

Gets my vote.

[…] …one hashtag and pouty face at a time. […]

patriarchal landmine
1 year 2 months ago

my sympathy for women has entirely dried up. no one gives a shit when men are abused or killed.

solve the problem yourselves, ladies.