A Blow has been Struck Against Puppy Related Sadness

Thanks to the Monster Hunter Nation and other caring individuals a great victory was struck today in the war against the scourge that is Puppy Related Sadness!

Warbound is a finalist for the Best Novel Hugo.

Almost the entire rest of the Sad Puppy 2 slate has been nominated. It turned out that my nomination for graphic work was not eligble. And Marko Kloos was actually nominated for the Campbell, but turned out to be inelgiable because he had a pro sale in 2011. Take those into account, I think we missed like a single category.

Already there is all sorts of outragey outrage coming from the usual suspects, with allegations of, I kid you not, “ballot stuffing” 馃榾 For everyone who has been involved in this process, you know how especially ironic and hilarious that actually is, since behind the scenes I’ve been collecting counts of Sad Puppies nominators the whole time to see if the process was rigged because there have been some really suspicious things that have happened in the past to other author friends of mine. Can’t help myself. I’m a retired auditor. But the London committee appears to be totally honest. Great.

(though the Guardian, in England, just happens to run an article mentioning me for the first time ever, making up crap about something I said 4 months ago, the day before LonCon, which also happens to be in England, has all the votes squared away enough to contact the nominees… Yeah… A suspicious person might think there could be a bit of a leak somewhere).

I look forward to the next few months of nonstop character assassination.

For the new visitors coming over from various outraged SJW’s twitter feeds to see just how hate mongery I am, here’s the short version. My side has been saying for years that the Hugos are just a popularity contest for one small clique of fandom. But we got dismissed with Oh, no, you bitter right wing cranks, you’re just not *real* writers. But hang on a second, noble Social Justice Warrior, guys like me are actually popular out in the real world and sell more books, and anybody can vote, they just need to pony up a little cash to join WorldCon, so let’s just check and see if it is actually a popularity contest… Yep…So, point proven.

As for ballot stuffing or making up fake noms? Nope. Just like people like me sell more books than the cause of the day literati twaddle pushers, we also have more fans. We’ve just never been this blatant about asking before. My fan’s $40 is the same as your approved fan’s $40. Deal with it.

So, when pepole who are on the approved list ask their fans for votes, that’s cool. When outsider barbarians ask their fans for votes, that’s ballot stuffing. What they’re actually saying is that the WRONG kind of fans are voting in their fan popularity contest, and that is simply an outrage.

However, now that I’ve proven a popular author can simply ask… I’m a relative nobody compared to some of the other authors who are sick and tired of being told they’re not *real* authors by their self appointed betters and legions of poo flinging monkeys.

I’ve got to keep this blog post short. I just barely walked in the door from ComicCon. I’m totally exhausted. I was on 9 panels, 2 signings, shook I don’t know how many hundreds of hands, talked to fans nonstop, and got to meet or hang out with lots of famous people. Nathan Fillion is a really nice guy in person. Julie Benz is great. Karl Urban is cool.

And best of all, I got to hang out with Adam Baldwin for a few hours, and last night my wife and I went out to dinner with him. (btw, Valters? Best restaurant in town. Amazing food). I told Adam my original idea for my Official Hugo Nomination Acceptance Speech, but he talked me down. This is way nicer than what I told him last night. 馃檪

I was given the list at the end of one of my panels today. Other than WOT and Brandon, I actually don’t remember who I’m up against. Hang on.

路Ancillary Justice by Ann Leckie (Orbit US / Orbit UK)
– Haven’t read it. No idea.

路Neptune’s Brood by Charles Stross (Ace / Orbit UK)
– Haven’t read it. No idea. Heard of him, haven’t read his stuff.

路Parasite by Mira Grant (Orbit US / Orbit UK)
– Haven’t read it. Mira is Seanann McGuire’s pen name. I’ve met her at WorldCon Reno and we got along fine.

路Warbound, Book III of the Grimnoir Chronicles by Larry Correia (Baen Books)
– I hear it is pretty good. (okay, honestly, this series has already won 2 Audies, done well all over the world, and sold good, I’m fully not expecting most of the WorldCon voters to actually read it. It is way easier to just read the Guardian or blogs to find out that the author is the International Lord of Hate) 馃檪

路The Wheel of Time by Robert Jordan and Brandon Sanderson (Tor Books)
– Well… Hmmm… Brandon is a peer and a friend. He’s also one of the best novelists of our generation. Robert Jordan was one of the most successful authors in history. This is the biggest fantasy series of the last three decades.

So, Warbound vs. Wheel of Time. Let’s take a look at the tape.
The last book of a trilogy vs. an entire 14 book series
434 pages vs. 11,916 pages
135,000 words vs. 4.4 million words
Warbound was written in 4 months. WoT was written over 24 years.

Well, on that note, Warbound is a capable heavy weight boxer. Wheel of Time is Godzilla.

So thanks Monster Hunter Nation. Puppies everywhere rejoice!

Now I’m going to go pass out. 馃檪

Important: Altered Perceptions. A Charity Anthology for Mental Illness
I'm at SLC ComicCon FanX for the next few days

381 Comments on "A Blow has been Struck Against Puppy Related Sadness"

Joseph Capdepon II

For those that wish to see some of the butthurt already happening let me present you with this. Little Miss Special Snowflake used this so that Larry and Vox won’t get hits on their pages, turn about is fair play. Seems I’m also an asshole and she is getting tired of me. Not worth my time to beat my head against the wall when I have writing to do. Enjoy though.

Ted N
Ted N

Yet again, I’m glad I passed on her books.

“People are using popularity in our popularity contest! I’m taking my ball and going home! Curse you dirty peasants! “

Joseph Capdepon II

She is an author?

NR Pax
NR Pax

Good grief. At least children have a legitimate reason to whine like she does.

SBP

She strikes me as someone who needs to be annoyed.

Joseph Capdepon II

And it seems that we are boot lickers of Vox Day now because a couple of us have called them Special Snowflakes. I do wonder what their sales figures are compared to Larry?

Synova
Synova
I read through the responses and it was sort of entertaining. I wanted to say something serious, because I’m a downer like that when everyone is having fun… Snowflake made a couple statements of fact (or at least sincere belief) that sort of struck me… and that was that hateful people (like, say Vox Day) are automatically unable to produce great art. Hello? What an irrational thing to say. Assholes throughout history have produced BRILLIANT art. They’ve produced amazing symphonies and transcendent sculpture. Because I’m not an idiot, I actually expect assholes to produce *better* art than others do. They… Read more »
Joe in PNG
Joe in PNG

Hateful people are unable to produce great art? Ms. Snowflake, we have a Harlon Ellison on line one…

Jordan S. Bassior

Hateful people unable to produce great art?

So, I’m guessing that Wagner, Picasso and Shaw all disappear in a puff of logic then?

Tom

Polanski is hateful as well?

And here I thought all he hated was waiting until a girl was of legal age…or waiting for consent.

Then again, I guess that counts as pretty hateful.

Austin
Austin

I bet she was one of the ones who nominated “Queers Dig Time Lords: A Celebration of Doctor Who by the LGBTQ Fans Who Love It”

Brian Smith
Brian Smith

That one has so many SJW buzzwords that it seems like a fake parody title.

Joseph Capdepon II

Well, it seems Miss Luhrs has decided that she is going to “moderate” the posts to her blog now, using the excuse that a troll is using a fake email or some such.

Natalie Luhrs says

April 20, 2014 at 11:02 am

One more note. I鈥檓 not letting every comment through any more. I will be actively moderating comments on this post from here on out. Just put someone using an obviously fake email address into the troll-bin.

CombatMissionary

Has anyone notified Larry about the conspiracy Ms. Luhrs alleges? How Larry forced his fans to buy multiple memberships so they could steal the vote? He needs to know that the secret’s out. The International Lord of Hate needs notification that the cat is out of the bag on the latest stage of his plan to fill the world with hate.

Jordan S. Bassior

She’s probably shocked to actually be getting comments on her blog, and thoughtful ones at that. She’s probably not used to a lot of responses.

Fail Burton

“I see the use of donotlink as a way to improve my safety a tiny bit when linking to gross.” – Natalie Luhrs

Stupid, stupid girl. Lost an arm by cutting it off when she saw a ladybug on it. A Phyrric victory, but victory.

I don’t think “safety” means the same thing in heavily medicated femland as it does in realspace.

deadcenter
deadcenter
What I got out of her article was a lot of hurt feelings because in the past while they could not sell many books they could assuage their fragile egos with awards and Larry just took that away from them. Not many posts in and we have the outbreak of “Reasoned Discourse” that 2nd Amendment advocates usually see when trying to present an opposing view. That is the deletion of posts, moderation of posts, and banning of posters. That’s fine, it’s her echo chamber and she can do whatever she wants to ensure it remains at her preferred level of… Read more »
Ken Harkin
Ken Harkin

That woman is bat shit crazy. I almost posted but changed my mind. There is no point arguing with an idiot.

dwneylonsr
dwneylonsr

Much as I enjoyed WoT I can’t see any rationale in nominating the entire series for best novel of a single year. At best that should be a separate category.

av willis
av willis

I won’t lie, I’m kind of conflicted on that one,because although it does kind of feel like cheating, I grew up with the series and ended up re-reading it a lot more than I probably should have through my high school years and beyond. That being said It could also be argued that there is a certain laconic beauty in Warbound making the cut.

Expendable Henchman

I started reading Wheel of Time and loved it for the first three books, and bought about 10 of them. By book 5, I felt like I was punching a time clock to work through the literal slog in the wilderness.

At that point, I gave the entire set away to someone else around book three, who was looking for the whole set…

The last book is apparently a super best seller and fantastic writing. I don’t think I’ll ever get around to reading it, though.

a.v willis
a.v willis

I’d submit that Sanderson’s work is worth taking a look at simply because his approach has a different enough flavor to Jordan’s to compare and contrast the two. Although some of the characters don’t out quite right, (oh Mat, what did they do to you?) he also manages to make some of the more meandering cast members plot lines really come to life.

gingeroni
gingeroni

The books got so forgettable I accidentally bought “Winter’s Heart” twice thinking I had missed it when it first came out. I ended up selling the the books and have no interest in finishing the series. I started out liking Sanderson’s Mistborn trilogy but found the third book unreadable somewhere around the middle.

DaveP.
DaveP.

I gave up at about the same point because at the end of book 5, it felt like it had at the ends of 4, 3, and 2: like nothing was resolved, nothing was advanced, and oh my god there’s more of this to some…

Reading shouldn’t have to be hard work.

thewriterinblack

But . . . but . . . racism!

Or something.

H
H

Hold on, you have an individual work up for nomination, and the entire WoT series is also up for nomination??? Why not just the last WoT book? Is this one of those “famous author/athlete isn’t in the hall of fame yet so let’s give him his credit that’s due”?

Nomad
Nomad

It’s due to a rule issue. None of the WoT were nominated (i think) before so that means with the ending part of the series, the whole work can be nominated on the basis of whole story finishing in the designated ime period.

Carl Henderson

I suspect “Galactic Patrol” will not win in the Retro-Hugos. That would truly be tragic. And it really isn’t fair for any single novel to be up against the entire Wheel of Time.

Jordan S. Bassior

It would, because Galactic Patrol was one of the simultaneously best and most influential science fiction works of the late 1930’s.

salgak

So “Wheel of Time” is Godzilla ?? No problem, we have Mecha to deal with Kaiju.

Now. . . .commence the Krataclysms*

(For those who have not heard of a Krataclysm, it is the effect of Special Snowflake and other similar types, having their craniums explode when exposed to actual fiction, as opposed to SJW screeds masquerading as fiction. . .)

Rhiain
Rhiain

Who is this Natalie chick and why am I supposed to care about her opinion on scifi book awards?

NR Pax
NR Pax

Because she’ll cry if you don’t?

Tom

Then she probably needs to break out the tissues.

CombatMissionary

I think Tom just made his “International Lord of Hate” apprenticeship official. Larry’s progressing on his plan to dominate the world with hatey-haterism.

Tom

Being a natural born asshole, it was obviously going to happen at some time. 馃檪

Expendable Henchman

Hail Tom, lowly minion of Hate!

[bows formally]

Thank you, thank you. Please throw money!

Fail Burton

How about “bootlicker of hate?”

Shadowdancer Duskstar / Cutelildrow

This. I got focused on ‘yay, Hugo nom’ then wondered what everyone else was talking about.

Then went back to ‘Yay, Hugo nomination!’ I like Correia’s writing, and his books are fun. The rest doesn’t matter, at least for this reader.

Brendan
Brendan
Congrats on your hugo nomination! You deserve it. The accusations of ballot stuffing going around are particularly bizarre, given how the hugo are set up. You literally buy your right to vote. I mean, I suppose you could hand out $4000 to get 100 voters in your pocket, but it doesn’t seem worth it, honestly. Or financially responsible, or sane. Beyond that, what are you going to do, strongarm people across an ocean? Anyway, Warbound’s the only thing I’ve read on the list, besides most of WoT. Stross is great though (if you like lovecraftian spy thrillers you should check… Read more »
CF
CF

“The accusations of ballot stuffing going around are particularly bizarre, given how the hugo are set up. You literally buy your right to vote.”

And one has to be able to read.

SFWA SUPPORTS POLL TAXES AND LITERACY TESTS!

>:)

montsamu

SFWA does not run or otherwise administrate or actually have anything to do with the Hugo Awards.

Nathan
Nathan

The accusations of ballot stuffing are suspicious, especially since I and a couple others here have mentioned that we got multiple ballot PINs, but were paranoid enough to only use one.

Dr. Mauser

“I look forward to the next few months of nonstop character assassination.”

Having seen you on Twitter, I honestly think you DO look forward to it.

Expendable Henchman

You’re just watching the old adage of “Stalinists shut their opponents up, Libertarians help opponents to talk themselves into graves.”

OK, I did update it slightly, to keep up with the times.

Shadowdancer Duskstar / Cutelildrow

…I’m kinda wanting to watch this now too. Free entertainment!

Vince C.
Vince C.

Larry I can’t wait for you to be introduced from now to eternity as Mr. Larry Correia, best selling and Hugo nominated ( dare I dream? Hugo winning? ) author. 馃檪

Jeff Gauch

You forgot “International Lord of Hate.” He’s earned the title.

CombatMissionary

A REAL apprentice ILH would never make such an obvious mistake. Vince must be a SJW plant!

RKW
RKW

I would love NOTHING more than if Pacific Rim won long form dramatic presentation. Nothing against people who liked Frozen, but I hate musicals. Plus, can you imagine just how much more rabid people would be if a brainless-but-awesome, mecha-punching-kaiju movie beat out the feel-good, woman-power movie? Strike a blow for cismale gendernormative fascism, vote Pacific Rim!

Also, I wonder how many comments people from here are posting over at i09 that aren’t getting past moderation.

jabrwok
jabrwok

Your post reminds me of the Expendables – A Call To Arms video clip: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RqmX0SHI_Po

Alas, there’s a brief ad before the clip starts. The clip is worth it:-)

engleberg

Ad was great. Movie looked good too.

Jordan S. Bassior

I liked Frozen, thought that it was one of the best fantasy musicals ever made, both for the quality of the music and the gleeful subversion of fantasy-musical tropes. Also good drama.

Haven’t yet seen Pacific Rim, but I will probably like it when I see it, because I love mecha and kaiju movies, and would love to see a good live-action movie combining the two genres.

Shadowdancer Duskstar / Cutelildrow

Oh, you will be VASTLY entertained. I had LOTS of fun being transported back to childhood ith that movie. For a combo-genre movie, it’s awesomely fun AND didn’t trip up on anything – at least anything that I could think of.

Brendan
Brendan
Oh my god. Look, I’m on the far left of the spectrum politically, and I admit, I thought the whole “liberals are shutting us out of the hugos” was either overblown hyperbole or a cunning angle for votes (of which I approve), but I just visited a page where someone was calling for everyone suggested by the SPC to be given a no vote. When a commenter suggested that Wiesskoph shouldn’t be lumped in with Larry, and was told that if she “disavowed his tactics” they’d consider voting for her, otherwise, she and everyone else suggested by Larry should get… Read more »
LarryP

So does this mean you’re a real author now?

a.v willis
a.v willis

Hell, according to the commenters on this post, he’s not even a real libertarian

Tom

I’m always amused to be lectured on libertarianism by non-libertarians. I mean, I’ve been quoted by Judge Andrew Napolitano in one of his books, but clearly I know nothing about libertarian ideology.

Meanwhile, so progressive troglodyte is clearly the expert on Larry’s ideology.

Nathan
Nathan

Would these be left libertarians (which in my experience are just progressive light)? I’d look, but I recognize the column. Unless Ghengis Kratman rides through it again, its not worth lowering my SAN score.

alligosh
alligosh
ok, so everything that article is “delighted” about is strictly about the labels on the various authors and artists, and has nothing to do with the actual works. That makes three films on the list with female protagonists, … and one film with a major female character who isn鈥檛 white. (It鈥檚 still not good enough in terms of intersectionality, but neither is Hollywood. Small victories are better than none at all.) As an Irishwoman, a feminist, and a card-carrying socialist, it probably goes without saying that my views on what is best are deeply unlikely to align with neocon American… Read more »
av willis
av willis
Well, I told myself I wasn’t going to get sucked into this one, and that worked out right up to the point where a fellow service member spoke up in your defense and one of them started tittering in their hand about the “irony”. I took exception to this, and one double-team later, I drew away some valuable lessons. 1) get your grammar right. I screwed up the contraction on one word and somehow in their eyes that invalidated my entire argument 2) You’re apparently a white cismale heteronormative mastermind. Not really news, but to be honest, I also didn’t… Read more »
Lucius
Lucius

It’s interesting to get your take on Seanann McGuire. I’d gotten a different (perhaps wrong) impression based on her involvement in the whole dustup to remove Jonathan Ross as the Hugo presenter.

Sjonnar
Sjonnar

Sounds like a standard-issue liberal pansy ass whiner to me. “You can’t let that guy host an award! He might call me fat. Boo hoo.”

Parasite was a damn good book though. Depending on how many people read it, Larry might have some serious competition there.

mithbesler
mithbesler
Wait Seanann McGuire is Mira Grant,did not know that. Really enjoyed her Newsflesh books and while the main character in Parasite was frustrating dense I enjoyed it as well. Kinda of get a feeling that I personally would disagree with her on many things, that does not stop me from liking her books however. But wait the proper thing to do now is to condemn the works of authors who hold different beliefs and opinions than I do. I so want to be like SJW and judge books and stories based upon the authors and not the actual work. I… Read more »
Derek Spraker
Derek Spraker
Don’t know if you guys know how the WoT fans did it, but it was actually pretty ingenious. It seems that none of the books were ever nominated for a Hugo, and that there is a clause in the Hugo bylaws that allows for a story released in segments to be nominated the year of the final segment being published. Since there were no previous nominations, they did just that and nominated it essentially as a serial-novel. I imagine it’s not what the original bylaw writers had envisioned, and honestly I’m not sure if the WoT fans thought it was… Read more »
Austin
Austin

And I look forward to the next few months of amusing blog posts where you fisk the character assassins. Congrats Larry!

The Childlike Author

Sigh. Politics usurp everything. Again. Always. Sigh. Politics. I liked fiction better when it wasn’t so muddied by world-views and vitriol.

Jeff Gauch

Yet another reason why all progressives are vile. Our host simply wants to get paid for telling stories about guns, babes, and bad guys suffering step increases in entropy. It’s the “social justice” losers who have to bring politics into everything.

Brendan
Brendan
And THIS sort of statement is why people on my side politically think so many conservatives are jacked in the head. Blanket statements and insults do nothing but balkanize fans, to the point where both sides are now talking about voting along party lines, in the HUGOS of all things. Which is an insane statement, but nonetheless the truth. I’m a liberal, and a guy who likes reading Larry’s books. Do I share his politics? No. Do I think he deserves to be nominated for his writing? Yes. But jeez, defending that position gets hard when others sharing it can’t… Read more »
Jeff Gauch

Tell you what, you stop supporting an ideology that has killed literally hundreds of millions, and stop voting for obvious idiots like Obama and Biden, then I’ll show you some civility.

Would you object to someone calling Nazi’s vile? Would you consider it uncivil? Well, guess what, the modern Democrat Party is nothing more than a bunch of Nazis with worse fashion sense and a slightly (very slightly) higher opinion of Jews.

SlipperySnake
SlipperySnake
@Brendan I am in a similar position as you. I mean the idea that Larry is innocent and just being persecuted because he is ” the voice of an angry generation” is pretty silly. Larry hasn’t ended up in this position as some tragic hero attacked because his views are just too damn subversive. He has actively built his reputation up as a ‘talk radio conservative’ author. The idea that his storytelling ability can transcend his stupid niche is great but my approach has been to withhold my support in areas with political overflow. I just buy his books and… Read more »
Fail Burton
Brendan, this is not a matter of “both sides.” To prove that is a simple matter of listing race, gender, and gender-expression organizations, symposiums, awards, webzines, and anthologies. That represents purposeful discrimination and segregation, not an accidental demographic like SFF, the National Basketball Association or the National Hockey League. For reasons the PC won’t and can’t explain, none of their provisional patriarchal racist and sexist supremacist opponents have any of those. It’s WisCon that has a segregated “safer-space,” not SLC ComicCon. Had gay UK comedian and actor Stephan Fry been tapped to host the Hugos, no one on the so-called… Read more »
Nick Dilmore
Brendon, Your side might think “conservatives are jacked in the head” because of blanket statements and insults… but how is your side any better? The fact is, people coming here expect to talk politics. I’d bet that trend started after Larry’s famous 2nd Amendment post. But I’d also say that most of the political talk here is in response to the politicization of every-damn thing by the folks on your side of the isle. When I went on, say, I09, or even Cracked, I wasn’t expecting every other post to shoe-horn in politics, but that’s what I got, often out… Read more »
DaveP.
DaveP.

Brendan, in case you haven’t looked… it’s not Christian conservative gun owners who are trying to censor the Hugo awards. Own it…

Joseph Capdepon II

Except Brendan, Progressives are vile. They are a cancer on the world. Their ideology leads to misery, pain and death. They are not about freedom of choice and freedom of the individual. They grow government and force it into every facet of our lives.

Brendan
Brendan
I enjoy talking politics, and I don’t mind people disagreeing with me. I certainly wouldn’t come here if that were the case! I have a problem with statements like “all progressives are vile.” It’s insulting, and doesn’t bring anything to the debate. As for the evils of radical feminism, well, our society is unequal along gender and racial lines. White guys have been at the top of the heap with the biggest slice of the pie petty much from the beginning, and it colors every part of our society. As a straight white guy, that’s been pretty good for me,… Read more »
Jeff Gauch
White guys have had the biggest slice of the pie because they FRAKKING MADE THE GORAM PIE! A fact that has privileged me not one bit. Nobody has a problem with minorities getting a bigger piece of the pie, but I want them to make the pie bigger (letting them keep the lion’s share of the increase, but growing my slice as a side-effect). You, on the other hand, want to take from my chunk of the pie and give it to someone else, while at the same time implementing policies that prevent minorities from growing the pie (because if… Read more »
Tom
Brendan, You DO realize the difference between regular feminism and RadFem, right? While I take issue with some aspects of feminism these days, Radical Feminism includes such brainiac ideas as the argument that women do not truly consent to sex with me, and therefore all heterosexual sex is rape. I’m sorry, but that kind of thing isn’t something I can excuse. I don’t say all progressives are vile. I know too many who are really good people to believe that. Misguided? I might say that, but vile? Never. However, people who think what my wife and I did to create… Read more »
Brendan
Brendan

Dave P:

Well, aside from one person, I haven’t seen anyone call for a “censorship of the hugos,” and I called her out on that. Most people I’ve seen have been aghast at Vox getting on the ballot and suggesting that people judge the work on it’s merits.

… and now I see I’m being likened to a Nazi. Class act, Jeff.

Jeff Gauch

I am a class act, that’s why I’m calling you out on your vile ideology. You can lie to yourself, but I won’t permit you to lie to me.

CombatMissionary

Oh, crap, Slippery’s back again!
Slippery, “Talk radio conservative author”…? Really?
Look, if you want to be taken seriously, why don’t you come up with a list of exactly what constitutes a “talk radio conservative author,” points where Larry conforms to that definition, points where he doesn’t, and a cogent argument as to why that means Larry’s political views are invalid. Otherwise shut up.

CombatMissionary,

Cogent argument? From SlipperSnake? BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA.

That’s a good one.

Achillea
Brendan, Progressivism is a vile ideology. It’s liberalism that’s abandoned even the pretext of being about liberty. It’s a greedy, grasping thing dedicated to enslaving and robbing everybody else by making up and demanding from them imaginary ‘rights’ or ‘justice’ that is anything but. It’s Ted Bundy pretending to be Robin Hood. Now, it’s not entirely true that all progressives are vile. Some honestly don’t know any better, some are flat-out stupid, and some are a combination of both. Unfortunately, since all progressives act like self-righteous douchenozzles, it’s very difficult to tell the evil ones from the ones who are… Read more »
Expendable Henchman

You gents arguing over liberalism’s relative vileness might note that, while you’re allowed to say pretty much anything here you want, Natalie Luhrs, meanwhile, is approving (or not) each comment, and bragging about her bannings.

SlipperySnake
SlipperySnake
@Brendan It does start to get pretty funny when they get all self righteous about calling out all our ‘lies’. Keep is up you truth warriors and masters of hyperbole. People called Bush a Nazi too and it was just as retarded. @Combat Oh, and to explain the “talk radio” conservative comment or whatever. It is pretty simple if you embrace the bullshit abbreviations and oversimplifications common on talk radio then there you go. If you are so far gone and politically insular that you find half your arguments are conservative catchphrases you might be a redneck….. ummmm credulous conservative.… Read more »

@ Tom
“Cogent argument? From SlipperSnake? BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA.

That鈥檚 a good one.”

What I forgot to add was, “While I’m waiting for that, I want a pony.”

SlipperySnake
SlipperySnake

Also I am randomly pumping up your site although I apparently disagree with you and don’t support your reputation building.

CombatMissionary

Yes, with a few more guys like you pumping up his word of mouth campaign, Larry may just be able to quit his day job and focus on writing full time.

Synova
Synova
Was fiction ever not muddied by politics and world-views and vitriol? The world isn’t so small-town anymore where you learned to have public manners and get along with and work together with all the nutcases in all their variety because your entire world was the same 300 people. But certainly even when communication was slow fiction was a cesspool of opinionated jack*sses. And in the really old days you could publish yourself, too, and authors often did so. I think that what has happened more recently, in the last very few years actually, is that after many decades of increased… Read more »
Jeff Gauch

That’s why there’s so much vitriol coming from the Left. They thought they had won, that their long march through the institutions had been successful. Now they see the country abandoning the institutions they worked so hard to dominate, in no small part due to the leftist domination, and it infuriates them. They’re lashing out in desperation, in the faint hope that one last push will get them to paradise.

Nobody (except themselves) ever accredited the Left with an overabundance of brains.

The Childlike Author
Yes. As always, politics usurp everything. Again. Sigh. To clarify my original comment, the Hugo Awards used to be story-driven awards. A good story made you popular, and popular won you a Hugo. The winners were classic SFF authors like Heinlein, Silverberg, Leiber, Asimov, Le Guin… the list could go on, but the fact remains that every winning author differs in their political views in some way or another, with some on one extreme and some on the other. But over the past twenty years or so, especially the last decade (you agree), it seems the awards have become more… Read more »
SlipperySnake
SlipperySnake
This is quite a good point, the introduction of the internet and accessibility has led to vast changes in the power structure of publishing. More niches will be available but I think it will settle out. As authors attempt to take advantage of these niches they will build their reputations but at the end of the day I think it will mostly be reliant on the same thing, their ability to tell stories. Maybe it is naive to think that the cream will automatically rise to the top but I am hopeful that at least some of it will.
The Childlike Author

Shhh! I’m empathizing with sad widdle puppies. Poor widdle puppies.

Alan

I nominated The Wheel of Time (in addition to Warbound) because Brandon Sanderson suggested it. Am I to believe that every previous Hugo nomination cycle never involved the candidates asking their fans to vote for them?

The idea that this year’s nomination process was exceptional is statistically out of bounds. Not that facts matter to the people who would think such.

Tom

It’s funny that Brandon Sanderson asked people to vote for his work, and the biggest knock is that the nomination is for the entire series and not that he “ballot stuffed”.

It’s just amusing to me that it’s OK for Brandon to do it, but not Larry.

The hypocrisy. It burns.

Sean
Sean

nope, never read any of brandon’s work. just not that much into fantasy anymore. Don’t object to him calling him for his fans to vote. I do though strenuously object to the ENTIRE series of WoT being in the fucking “single novel” category, and object vociferously. Although given the explanation we’ve had of the by laws…the Hugo people got only themselves to blame for backlash on that one.

Tom

Agreed. I’m not a fan of it either, but like you said, the Hugo folks screwed up on that one.

junior
junior

What I object to is that a book by Sanderson set in someone else’s setting got the nomination. 馃槢

Sanderson’s settings and “rules” tend to be quite creative well-thought out, and his books are rather enjoyable reads imo.

dyingearth
dyingearth

I look at some of Hugo twitter feed on Hugo Awards, Sanderson is getting his fare share of grief for belong to the wrong religion. As an avowed lapse Buddhist and current agnostist, I just cannot tolerate the Leftists’ Religious Intolerance.

Tom

Pathetic, but still no accusations of ballot stuffing.

In fact, Larry and Vox are the ones getting hit on that despite the fact that Tor, Scalzi, and apparently plenty of others do it regularly.

Jonathan
Jonathan

There’s a blog on the TOR website calling for people to vote for WOT. I see no problem with it. It’s their right to do so. It’s only ballot stuffing if people vote for things they don’t approve of.

Tom

And don’t you just love the hypocrisy. After all, Tor’s blog did the same thing, then Tor’s blog tried to decry Larry for doing the same.

You’d think they’d take the hint at some point.

junior
junior

Dyingearth – Not really a surprise given the grief that’s been thrown Orson Scott Card’s way recently (entirely because Card’s views match his LDS religion). Sanderson’s profile is rising fast enough (and it’s well-deserved, imo) that I’m sure people are going to try putting him on the spot with regard to the same issues that Card got in trouble over (if they’re not already).

av willis
av willis

Give Sanderson his due, he’s given one of the more rational perspectives on the whole mess

Tom

No issue with Sanderson. None at all.

Doug Wardell
Doug Wardell

Congratulations, Larry. I agree it’s probably a long-shot to take down WoT, but I think your noms are going to dominate overall even if all the libs give our guys no-votes. PS, I’m really looking forward to seeing you at Congregate, and please keep your original version of the acceptance speech handy for the lols. 馃檪

MattG
MattG

You know, for all the crap people (myself included) give Scalzi, he’s one of the only guys out there to have a reasonable response to the nominations. Good for him.

Lounging
Lounging

Alternative interpretation: Scalzi, cockroach that he is, senses the tide is turning against him and is scrambling to survive.

SBP

My guess is that Scalzi discovered that Rupert Murdoch’s “withered, reactionary grandpa teats” actually taste pretty good, but got scared when it appeared that his crew of over-privileged and badly-educated Jacobins was getting ready to turn on him for suckling them. Now he’s making “Sweet Voice of Reason” noises. Whatever (no pun intended).

Another possibility is that they realized that attacking Toni Weisskopf was pushing things too far, too fast. The backlash on that was pretty harsh.

Unfortunately the mob is much easier to arouse than it is to quell, and 9 Thermidor always seems to arrive.

SilentMajority
I joined up for Hugo nomination process because I felt like it was time for The Wheel of Time to get the recognition that it deserves. All I know about you is that you wrote a pretty awesome blogpost about gun control a while back. I have to say that I am surprised that people are freaking about this. From what I can tell you are getting condemned for doing the same thing that other authors, George R.R. Martin in particular have done over the years, which seems unfair, ridiculous, and intolerant. Ballot stuffing is utterly ridiculous. To suggest that… Read more »
VD
VD

Just so I can understand what all the hate is about I bought a copy of Hard Magic and a copy of Irrational Atheist by Vox Day.

The latter should suffice to explain it. Just be aware that TIA is non-fiction. If you’d like to read the actual work in question, you can download a free epub of OPERA VITA AETERNA here: http://t.co/yjOJrVVP2w

Expendable Henchman

Hey Vox, accusing you of racism seems to have almost become an internet meme.

Have you written an article somewhere explicitly saying “I’m Vox, and here are my opinions why I do or don’t consider myself racist.”? I don’t have time to read through all the years of all your blogs to form an opinion, and I’m also not interested in “this tweet wasn’t” or “that post wasn’t” since even Al Sharpton has presumably said something at one time that wasn’t racist. (Possibly in his sleep…)

I’m tired of hearing only one side. Thank you for your time replying.

Expendable Henchman

After thinking a bit more, I’d say the smartest move would be to say “Wheel of Time” doesn’t qualify. What if *another* last book is published *next* year, or in 2016?

Will it void the 2014 Hugo? Are there grounds for a fraud lawsuit by representing the book as the last, while secretly planning yet another?

Will the replacement author be considered a bastard for abusing the Hugo system by writing yet another best seller? Will that one make the series eligible *again*?

I’m just seeing insurmountable problems with the galaxy sized “Last of a series” loophole.

VD
VD
Have you written an article somewhere explicitly saying 鈥淚鈥檓 Vox, and here are my opinions why I do or don鈥檛 consider myself racist.鈥? I’ve stated my position before: I don’t care what people do or do not consider racist. I am scientifically literate, I do not believe in the existence of any kind of material equality, and I believe that A can never be Not A. I also believe one cannot legitimately judge an individual by a group metric, or vice-versa. Call that what you will. I don’t care. And to the inevitable question: “do you believe Population Group X… Read more »
SBP
“After thinking a bit more, I鈥檇 say the smartest move would be to say 鈥淲heel of Time鈥 doesn鈥檛 qualify.” It appears to be within the rules, so fair game as far as I’m concerned. ” What if *another* last book is published *next* year, or in 2016?” Unless I’m misunderstanding the rule, that book wouldn’t be eligible. From what I’ve been reading (and note that I haven’t looked at the actual rules), this loophole only kicks in if none of the previous parts have ever been nominated. It’s a last-hurrah sort of thing. Now if it turns out that people… Read more »
Expendable Henchman
I’m thinking there ought to be a new category “Hugo Award for completed series where the author is now dead and cannot add more ‘last’ books to re-qualify” Because the question really does arise with the “trilogy” of Hitchiker’s Guide to the Galaxy, which I think is up to about six or so, with the last 4 being “last” It’s a very tough question, because implying an author must stop writing after a book designated “last” is a difficult proposition. It’s especially difficult to say “now that series has been nominated or won a Hugo, you’re finished.” And if they… Read more »
Fail Burton
I’m glad the whining of bigoted feminists is getting an unofficial nomination alongside Rachel Swirsky’s gay dinosaur porn and Kameron Hurley’s “We Have Always Avoided the Draft Board.” I’m glad to see Ann Leckie’s novel get nominated because Skippy the transgender robot is a keen character. The name “Radish Reviews” doesn’t really make any sense and given the racist anti-racist tone, I have unofficially changed the name to “Orwell’s Great Lard Sandwich” and hope Natalie Luhrs gets nominated next year for most abrasive fan writer with the most abrasive fan – Ann Somerville. I don’t know who’s hosting the Hugo… Read more »
mpoles

Obviously the Hugo host has to be a Democrat-supporter (because anyone who isn’t is clearly EVIL) who writes message fic (because that’s the only sort that counts). Ideally someone who is a past winner too. And someone with a popular blog.

There’s an obvious candidate who fits these criteria – Orson Scott Card.

I’d love to see the reaction of the LGBTQRSDGHSOWIBDWGHUWIHQDUHWDAUHWIDHAIWUDHIAUWHDIUyYYAEAMJHB8934792349237482374* crowd to that one.

* I lose track of what the groupthink-approved acronym is today.

Fail Burton

Mary Robinette Kowal would make a good host because she could have a puppet of Skippy the transgender robot and Skippy could tell the transgender joke about two transgender on opposite sides of a gender and one asks how they can get to the other side of the gender and the other replies you are on the other side.

mpoles
Even though I’ve never read it, and even though there are two authors on the best novel list that I have read and do like, I sort of hope Wheel of Time wins. The Hugo is supposedly an SF AND fantasy award, but traditional fantasy almost never wins. Even The Lord of the Rings never won. Game of Thrones has never won (in book form). Earthsea – nope. Thomas Covenant? Nope. Malazan Book of the Fallen? Nope. Book of the First Law? Nope. Saladin Ahmed got a nomination last year for Throne of the Crescent Moon, which was an exception… Read more »
perlhaqr
perlhaqr

Thomas Covenant? Nope.

That’s not because the books are works of Fantasy. That’s because Thomas Covenant is even more annoying than the SJW crowd. Imagine a series of fantasy novels about Michael Moore. (No, not that kind of fantasy. Stop. Stop gagging. Oh. Oh dear. Here, let me hold your hair for you. All better now? Good. Moving on.) Can you even imagine how whiny and boring that would be?

SBP

Oh, yeah. I bounced off that one hard. It wasn’t that the protagonist was morally reprehensible per se (there are plenty of good stories about bad guys), but that he was a whiner. How anyone could make it through multiple volumes of whining is beyond me, but apparently there are plenty of people whose tastes differ.

Achillea

Good lord, Thomas Covenant. I couldn’t even get through the first book. He was even more insufferably self-pitying than Lackey’s Vanyel, which is going some.

thewriterinblack

Book? I didn’t even get through the first chapter. That insufferable whining.

rustypaladin
rustypaladin

Oh, thank goodness! I’m not the only one! The whining was bad. I couldn’t make it past the rape. What a douche.

Dr. Mauser

It was all I had to read on a summer camping trip, so I made it through them all. In self defense, my mind has purged all of it to the point I remember about a paragraph’s worth.

But it is pretty impressive that Donaldson managed to make me pray for Leprosy to win.

(As for Michael Moore, I’ve long maintained that the only difference between Michael Moore and a colostomy bag is capacity.)

Dr. Mauser,

I beg to differ. A colostomy bag is also useful, and there are people who actually need one. Michael Moore meets neither criteria.

Dr. Mauser

Tom, what I mean is, that when both are full, MM is even more full of sh*t than a standard bag.

I gotcha.

However, I still think the comparison is unfair to the colostomy bag.

junior
junior
I read the first two trilogies (I think he’s published a new one) waaaaaaaaaay back when. I think I started out with the last book of the first trilogy, and didn’t particularly care for it. Then I read the second trilogy, which I found to be markedly more palatable (probably because he has a female fellow-traveler from Earth along for the ride in that book, which iirc helps his personality immensely). And then even later I read the first two books of the first trilogy. I’ve also read Donaldson’s two “Mirror” books (and there seems to be a clever reference… Read more »
mekadave5

Oh good LORD…. the only time I didn’t ever gag at Moore was when they blew up his ham-filled puppet in Team America: World Police. (Yes, they really did fill the puppet with ham for that shot) I genuinely was sad when the Moore ass-kicking scene got removed for the published version of Dead Six. It was one of my fave parts.

Dr. Mauser

Tom: I will gladly grant you that.

mpoles

Apparently Vox Day can’t be nominated because of his extremist political views. Huh? China Mieville won the 2010 Best Novel Hugo and he’s an actual Marxist. Vox Day’s views seem pretty mainstream compared to that.

dyingearth
dyingearth

You don’t understand. To the SJW crowd, Marxism is far too right wing. So they barely tolerate him. Vox Day is their Anti-Christ.

Expendable Henchman

Dude? Marxism IS mainstream now. “At some point you’ve made enough money”, “You didn’t build that”, ad nauseam…

Jonathan
Jonathan

Marxism and communism are accepted because they treat everyone equally — everyone that survives, at least. It matters little that they treat everyone horribly, just equally. No one is discriminated against based on race, religion (if it is allowed), and so on.

mpoles

Really? See this (very lengthy) series of articles about the explicit anti-semitism of the political party that China Mieville stood for election for. (Thankfully he got something like 1% of the vote.)

SBP

So with Mi茅ville it’s “Come for the Marxism, stay for the Judenhass”?

Shadowdancer Duskstar / Cutelildrow
Congratulations on the Hugo nom-nom – er, nomination. Sorry, just had Easter dinner, and I am still in a food coma. Also, THOROUGHLY enjoying MHI series; I got the first book, blazed through it and laughed with delight (and cackled evilly at parts) which would prompt my darling hubby to ask why. I’ve turned the copy over to him, and I hear evil snickers when he reads. I think he’s planning on introducing a few of his friends to it as well. I also bought a copy for my brother’s birthday. He emailed me just to say how much fun… Read more »
Expendable Henchman

Just gave my girlfriend a copy of Monster Hunter Legion, personalized and signed by the man himself.

She squealed.

She’s a keeper.

Shadowdancer Duskstar / Cutelildrow

And you sound like a wonderful boyfriend with great taste in books and presents.

b^,^b

perlhaqr
perlhaqr

Hurrah for happy puppies!

*looks forward to my reader pack*

derf
derf
Yay. Congrats. I love your books. As a judge, I’d pick WOT. But, for theater, I’d vote for Warbound. And I think I’d pick Warbound second. I like most of the authors on that list. Life is gray. I’d guess that, on one hand, there is oppression of nonliberal authors – to be expected as people working for money dont become publishers. And a lot of failed, perpetually broke and therefore left-leaning authors running SFWA. But, that is a perpetual problem in most organizations. Fun fact ..at Caltech, the physics professoriate periodically sacrifices one of their own as dean after… Read more »
Ken Burnside

I propose that every Barfly going to LonCon try to arrange to make one of these, or bring one with them.

Be generous with them. Pass them out to all the people who are offended by your presence.

Be doubly generous and make sure a slice is waiting for John Scalzi wherever he goes.

Sean
Sean

I’d have gone for coconut rum as opposed to kahlua.

Dr. Mauser

Hmmm, I finally went and read the nominations. Down in the smaller categories, I was surprised to see that Taral Wayne wasn’t on the Fan Artist ballot this year (He and Steven Stiles are tied for the greatest number of nominations without winning in that category, something around 16 or 17 IIRC). Well maybe next year.

C.S.Gilmore
C.S.Gilmore

Awesome Larry keep up the fan building, literati head exploding, fun to read work. 馃檪

oldnfo
oldnfo

ROTFLMAO! Good for y’all for upsetting their precious little applecart! So our votes DID do some good… Glad to hear it!

Achillea

So, what happens next for we Crusaders Against PRS? I’ve seen reader packs mentioned a few times, so should I start watching my mailbox? Or will downloads be available for Kindles?

Bill Powe
Bill Powe

Last year we were sent a link to download the packet. Lots of the stories were present in both pdf and epub formats. I’m not sure if we (LoneStarCon3 attending members) will get the packets or be eligible to vote for the final Hugo winners without buying a supporting membership in Loncon3, I’ve heard it both ways.

Tully
Tully

The rule for NOMINATING is “Each member of the administering Worldcon, the immediately preceding Worldcon, or the immediately following Worldcon as of January 31 of the current calendar year shall be allowed to make up to five (5) equally weighted nominations in every category.”

The rule for VOTING is “Only WSFS members may vote.” That means only supporting or attending members of the Worldcon at which the awards are to be given may vote the final ballot.

Tully
Tully

IOW, both LoneStarCon3 and LonCon supporting and attending members could nominate, but ONLY LonCon members can vote the final ballot.

rocinante2
rocinante2

Reading some of the comments at io9 and elsewhere, I was puzzled by the reactions and asked myself, “What kind of person *immediately*, resorts to assumptions/accusations of cheating or conspiracy theories when a (nominally) democratic process produces a result they don’t like?”

My first thought was, “isolated, xenophobic, ignorant and superstitious tribespeople, that’s who.”

When thought of that way, the behavior makes perfect sense. They may have IT jobs and drink free-trade coffee, but they’re half-children who have no idea how the world works outside their bubble.

Rob
Rob

Or they’re projecting furiously…

Jerry Lawson

Oh, they’re always projecting. All you’ve got to do is watch for a while, and it’s very clear indeed.

trackback

[…] A Blow has been Struck Against Puppy Related Sadness聽(Larry Correia, Monster Hunter Nation) […]

thewriterinblack
Fail Burton
“Correia clearly attracts even more of the kind of foul-mouthed angry male commenters who launch bitter, misogynistic and condescending attacks against women like smart, vocal Natalie who speak truth to power without the slightest fear.” – Ann Somerville That’s the kind of joy and fun I like to hang out with. Great at parties. “…people whose mission in life is to basically to strip away your human rights are fucking scary.聽 As the member of a couple of groups that a lot of people would like to throw in a gaol or drag to death behind the back of a… Read more »
Tom

Internet arguing checklist: Make shit up.

Because Larry’s always going on about how women need to be barefoot and naked, making us sandwiches and dragging gay guys behind trucks. [/sarcasm]

MattG
MattG

Shouldn’t they?

Fail Burton
LBGTPoCFems live in a great internment camp. Their movements are severely circumscribed with the occasional drawing and quartering plus random jaw-jackings at inopportune moments by cis-het honkey-men who yell like Confederates and wish the South had won. The cis-het menz use foul terms like “lady” and like Nazi-drawings by Frank Frazetta. White cis-het menz have the Mammoth Book of White Menz Stories, safer-space for white-menz at racist Utah Mormon comic convention, have Eurofuturism SF for the whites, special white cis-het menz SF web sites, best white menz SF awards named after racist Hugo Gernsback, Cis-Het Menz Anti-Defamation League of Gentlemen,… Read more »
SBP
“people whose mission in life is to basically to strip away your human rights are fucking scary” She means, like, Marxists? Because the last time I checked the body count was something like Marxists: 100 million, Libertarians: 0. The most gross violations of human rights all seem to happen in countries like North Korea, China, Venezuela, Zimbabwe… (hint: none of those countries are run by libertarians or U.S.-style conservatives). Of course the Special Ones never stop to realize that every time the Marxists get power, the “intellectual” class is always among the first groups sent off to the camps. Being… Read more »
Achillea

Wow. More projection than a 20-screen cineplex.

thewriterinblack

Odin’s One Eye, somebody actually invoked “truth to power”?

Sweetie, you guys are the “power” and have been for a long time.

Jeff Gauch

And they wouldn’t know truth if it gave them a colonoscopy.

SBP

Yes. I don’t think it’s possible to be any more “The Man” in the F&SF world than Scalzi and the Nielsen Haydens are.

Alex
Alex

What planet do these people live on?

MattG
MattG

鈥淚 love analogies! Let鈥檚 have one. 鈥estaurants鈥 at random moments, the waiter comes over and punches any women at the table right in the face. And people of color and/or LGBT folks as well! Now, most of the white straight cis guys who eat there, they have no problem鈥揳fter all, the waiter isn鈥檛 punching them in the face鈥︹ 鈥 Ann Leckie

Someone should punch this bitch in the mouth… maybe if Vox goes to the ceremony?

Nathan
Nathan

I’m inclined to take it out on her in the voting. After all, I wouldn’t have known about this “No Award” thing if people hadn’t been shouting about it for the last day. After all, all right and good members of fandom come to snap judgements about writers and vote without reading the actual works in question…

Jeff Gauch

To continue the analogy, most of these people aren’t getting punched in the face. A few are, and all of the attention they receive make these pathetic children make up stories about how they’ve been punched in the face so many times. And white guys aren’t immune to being punched in the face, but nobody likes to talk about it, and the frequency is much lower since they’re likely to punch back or go to a restaurant that DOESN’T *&$)*(@ PUNCH THEIR CUSTOMERS IN THE (*&(@#@ FACE!

MattG
MattG

Forget the analogy, I just want to see someone smack one of these dumbass, outspoken bitches in the face and put them in their fucking place.

rocinante2
rocinante2
Just to be clear, no one (not even Ms. Leckie) is suggesting that anyone is, or gets, “punched in the face”. What Ms. Leckie *is* doing, is equating each and every instance of something she finds offensive about, well, anything she doesn’t control with a punch in the face. Think about that for a minute, and give it the credence it deserves. To paraphrase the Scalzi, “If you’re that sensitive, I don’t know how you manage to get out the door each morning.” The idea that people shoud go thorugh live and never be offended is just the mental/intellectual outgrowth… Read more »
CombatMissionary

I love the sound of Special Snowflake heads exploding in the morning.

montsamu

re, rocinante2, “should never be exposed to peanuts” — c’mon. In the US alone, someone dies every other day from a food allergy, more than half of these are anaphylactic shock from a peanut allergy. This has nothing to do with “being offended” it literally is a medical matter of life and death. (Otherwise, carry on.)

rocinante2
rocinante2
I’m sorry; I have once again expressed myself with insufficient precision. I didn’t mean to equate a severe peanut allergy with “being offended”, nor did I intend to deny that a very few people are deathly allergic to peanuts. So, do we completely remove peanuts from the menu? The answer, based on the notice my stepson just got from the summer camp where he’ll be working this year, is “yes”. (The part about “do not send a care package unless it contains enough of everything for 12 people” made my head explode just a little more than the peanut thing,… Read more »
BobtheRegisterredFool
BobtheRegisterredFool

Everyone one remember George Washington Carver? Okay, then we can finish ‘Banning peanuts or peanut butter is racist because…’

Jeff Barnes

I wonder where they live that waiters in restaurants punch customers in the mouth.

Bubbasrelm

For my money, Japan. Lotta weird crap comes from our Asian friends to the West.
To be fair, a lot of cool stuff comes from japan too, but i can seriously see a sushi bar were someone yells and then hits you in the face before each course.

BornLib

I’m going to try to not let Ann Leckie’s extremely ignorant comment color my view of her novel when I read it, but she isn’t making it easy to take her seriously. Using “cis” without irony makes my eyes roll up into the back of my head.

I read McGuire’s (unimpressive) novel before she embarrassed herself on Twitter so no worries there.

Stross is in the same tribe but I find him less caustic. I enjoyed Accelerando back in the day so I’m cautiously optimistic about his nominated novel.

Insectress
Insectress

I quite enjoyed “Equoid”. It was a Cthonic take on unicorns.

junior
junior

I’ve read Stross’s Laundry books, and have found them an enjoyable and darkly humorous read. But I haven’t read any of his other stuff. The man definitely has a talent for writing about how screwed up a beauracracy can be.

MattG
MattG

I’m not advocating violence towards them because of an opinion (or because they’re women, even though the most vocal seem to be)… they are straight-up trying to you through ruin you (and Vox and the others) through character assassination.

Opinions are one thing. Lies explicitly contrived to ruin another person’s reputation are another, and I think it’s perfectly acceptable to advocate violence towards people that do that shit…

What’s more harmful in the long run, ruining someone’s good name or giving them a good, old fashioned ass kicking?

SlipperySnake
SlipperySnake

You should be the ‘character assassin’s’ biggest supporters they are giving publicity to Larry and all the rest. If you are part of a radical niche all you want is attention (PITA, KKK, etc.). Larry has made this a part of his career building so leave him to it, it is working.

Alan
For those who haven’t voted for the Hugos before, I should point out that “No Award” is not a new thing. It is also not a veto. It gives you, the voter, the ability to narrow your choices. As an example, say you get to the “best novel” category, but you’ve only read one of the nominated novels. You can select that novel as your #1 choice and then select “No award” as #2. This way, you don’t have to rank all the remaining novels you haven’t read. Similarly, if you think none of the nominees in the category deserve… Read more »
Expendable Henchman

I’d think that casting a “No Award” vote is pretty much throwing your vote in the trash, since it’s *extremely* unlikely that “No Award” will win. Rather like the conservatives voting “No Award” last presidential election, causing the current POTUS.

So I’m all in favor of the Stalinists voting for “No Award” all they want, it just makes *my* votes worth that much more.

Of course, it was also Stalin who said “It doesn’t matter who votes, it matters who *counts* the votes.”

BornLib

So far I’ve ready Warbound (awesome) and Parasite (meh).

Neptune鈥檚 Brood is the sequel to Saturn’s Children apparently, so that’s two books I need to read (Stross is very hit or miss for me).

I’ve not heard of Ann Leckie before but Ancillary Justice has already won a British Science Fiction Award.

I haven’t read any Robert Jordan before. So if I were to read all of the nominated books that are left that is… seventeen novels.

That is going to be a challenge. I think I’ll read Ancillary Justice next.

Expendable Henchman

My only recommendation about Wheel of Time is to buy them one at a time.

Starting somewhere around #4, I felt like Conan pushing the wheel by myself. Halfway through #5, I realized that all I had to do was stop pushing and walk away. Best reading decision ever.

Achillea

That’s where I quit, too. It was the moment I realized I was reading a trilogy that was already on its fifth book. I have no problem whatsoever voting for Warbound over WoT.

Jonathan
Jonathan

I echo this sentiment. As a teenager, I read the first seven WOT novels. The first 3-4 were great, and then a rapid decline ensued. That experience has made me reluctant to read in-progress fantasy series, as they seem to be getting longer and longer and take ages to wrap up.

BornLib