A Blow has been Struck Against Puppy Related Sadness

Thanks to the Monster Hunter Nation and other caring individuals a great victory was struck today in the war against the scourge that is Puppy Related Sadness!

Warbound is a finalist for the Best Novel Hugo.

Almost the entire rest of the Sad Puppy 2 slate has been nominated. It turned out that my nomination for graphic work was not eligble. And Marko Kloos was actually nominated for the Campbell, but turned out to be inelgiable because he had a pro sale in 2011. Take those into account, I think we missed like a single category.

Already there is all sorts of outragey outrage coming from the usual suspects, with allegations of, I kid you not, “ballot stuffing” :D For everyone who has been involved in this process, you know how especially ironic and hilarious that actually is, since behind the scenes I’ve been collecting counts of Sad Puppies nominators the whole time to see if the process was rigged because there have been some really suspicious things that have happened in the past to other author friends of mine. Can’t help myself. I’m a retired auditor. But the London committee appears to be totally honest. Great.

(though the Guardian, in England, just happens to run an article mentioning me for the first time ever, making up crap about something I said 4 months ago, the day before LonCon, which also happens to be in England, has all the votes squared away enough to contact the nominees… Yeah… A suspicious person might think there could be a bit of a leak somewhere).

I look forward to the next few months of nonstop character assassination.

For the new visitors coming over from various outraged SJW’s twitter feeds to see just how hate mongery I am, here’s the short version. My side has been saying for years that the Hugos are just a popularity contest for one small clique of fandom. But we got dismissed with Oh, no, you bitter right wing cranks, you’re just not *real* writers. But hang on a second, noble Social Justice Warrior, guys like me are actually popular out in the real world and sell more books, and anybody can vote, they just need to pony up a little cash to join WorldCon, so let’s just check and see if it is actually a popularity contest… Yep…So, point proven.

As for ballot stuffing or making up fake noms? Nope. Just like people like me sell more books than the cause of the day literati twaddle pushers, we also have more fans. We’ve just never been this blatant about asking before. My fan’s $40 is the same as your approved fan’s $40. Deal with it.

So, when pepole who are on the approved list ask their fans for votes, that’s cool. When outsider barbarians ask their fans for votes, that’s ballot stuffing. What they’re actually saying is that the WRONG kind of fans are voting in their fan popularity contest, and that is simply an outrage.

However, now that I’ve proven a popular author can simply ask… I’m a relative nobody compared to some of the other authors who are sick and tired of being told they’re not *real* authors by their self appointed betters and legions of poo flinging monkeys.

I’ve got to keep this blog post short. I just barely walked in the door from ComicCon. I’m totally exhausted. I was on 9 panels, 2 signings, shook I don’t know how many hundreds of hands, talked to fans nonstop, and got to meet or hang out with lots of famous people. Nathan Fillion is a really nice guy in person. Julie Benz is great. Karl Urban is cool.

And best of all, I got to hang out with Adam Baldwin for a few hours, and last night my wife and I went out to dinner with him. (btw, Valters? Best restaurant in town. Amazing food). I told Adam my original idea for my Official Hugo Nomination Acceptance Speech, but he talked me down. This is way nicer than what I told him last night. :)

I was given the list at the end of one of my panels today. Other than WOT and Brandon, I actually don’t remember who I’m up against. Hang on.

·Ancillary Justice by Ann Leckie (Orbit US / Orbit UK)
– Haven’t read it. No idea.

·Neptune’s Brood by Charles Stross (Ace / Orbit UK)
– Haven’t read it. No idea. Heard of him, haven’t read his stuff.

·Parasite by Mira Grant (Orbit US / Orbit UK)
– Haven’t read it. Mira is Seanann McGuire’s pen name. I’ve met her at WorldCon Reno and we got along fine.

·Warbound, Book III of the Grimnoir Chronicles by Larry Correia (Baen Books)
– I hear it is pretty good. (okay, honestly, this series has already won 2 Audies, done well all over the world, and sold good, I’m fully not expecting most of the WorldCon voters to actually read it. It is way easier to just read the Guardian or blogs to find out that the author is the International Lord of Hate) :)

·The Wheel of Time by Robert Jordan and Brandon Sanderson (Tor Books)
– Well… Hmmm… Brandon is a peer and a friend. He’s also one of the best novelists of our generation. Robert Jordan was one of the most successful authors in history. This is the biggest fantasy series of the last three decades.

So, Warbound vs. Wheel of Time. Let’s take a look at the tape.
The last book of a trilogy vs. an entire 14 book series
434 pages vs. 11,916 pages
135,000 words vs. 4.4 million words
Warbound was written in 4 months. WoT was written over 24 years.

Well, on that note, Warbound is a capable heavy weight boxer. Wheel of Time is Godzilla.

So thanks Monster Hunter Nation. Puppies everywhere rejoice!

Now I’m going to go pass out. :)

381 Comments on "A Blow has been Struck Against Puppy Related Sadness"

1 year 2 months ago

For those that wish to see some of the butthurt already happening let me present you with this. Little Miss Special Snowflake used this so that Larry and Vox won’t get hits on their pages, turn about is fair play. Seems I’m also an asshole and she is getting tired of me. Not worth my time to beat my head against the wall when I have writing to do. Enjoy though.

Ted N
1 year 2 months ago

Yet again, I’m glad I passed on her books.

“People are using popularity in our popularity contest! I’m taking my ball and going home! Curse you dirty peasants! “

She is an author?

NR Pax
1 year 2 months ago

Good grief. At least children have a legitimate reason to whine like she does.

1 year 2 months ago

She strikes me as someone who needs to be annoyed.

1 year 2 months ago

And it seems that we are boot lickers of Vox Day now because a couple of us have called them Special Snowflakes. I do wonder what their sales figures are compared to Larry?

Synova
1 year 2 months ago

I read through the responses and it was sort of entertaining. I wanted to say something serious, because I’m a downer like that when everyone is having fun… Snowflake made a couple statements of fact (or at least sincere belief) that sort of struck me… and that was that hateful people (like, say Vox Day) are automatically unable to produce great art.

Hello?

What an irrational thing to say. Assholes throughout history have produced BRILLIANT art. They’ve produced amazing symphonies and transcendent sculpture. Because I’m not an idiot, I actually expect assholes to produce *better* art than others do. They might not, of course, but I do think that there is a non-zero correlation between people who are brilliant themselves, who have no patience or willingness to “make nice”, who very well *may* have ideas I find personally repugnant… but who look at the world sideways to me, differently to me, and will *very likely* produce something amazing. (Some day I will get around to reading something by VD, and I expect that it’s going to be excellent. Even if he pisses me off.)

Joe in PNG
1 year 2 months ago

Hateful people are unable to produce great art? Ms. Snowflake, we have a Harlon Ellison on line one…

1 year 2 months ago

Hateful people unable to produce great art?

So, I’m guessing that Wagner, Picasso and Shaw all disappear in a puff of logic then?

Jackson Carberry
1 month 24 days ago

Actually,no, they don’t like Polanski or what he did, and wanted him to be sent to prison just as much as anybody else who’s conservative did.

60guilders
1 month 24 days ago

Mr. Carberry, there are people who disagree with you…

1 year 2 months ago

Polanski is hateful as well?

And here I thought all he hated was waiting until a girl was of legal age…or waiting for consent.

Then again, I guess that counts as pretty hateful.

Well, obviously.

Austin
1 year 2 months ago

I bet she was one of the ones who nominated “Queers Dig Time Lords: A Celebration of Doctor Who by the LGBTQ Fans Who Love It”

Brian Smith
1 year 2 months ago

That one has so many SJW buzzwords that it seems like a fake parody title.

1 year 2 months ago

Well, it seems Miss Luhrs has decided that she is going to “moderate” the posts to her blog now, using the excuse that a troll is using a fake email or some such.

Natalie Luhrs says

April 20, 2014 at 11:02 am

One more note. I’m not letting every comment through any more. I will be actively moderating comments on this post from here on out. Just put someone using an obviously fake email address into the troll-bin.

CombatMissionary
1 year 2 months ago

Has anyone notified Larry about the conspiracy Ms. Luhrs alleges? How Larry forced his fans to buy multiple memberships so they could steal the vote? He needs to know that the secret’s out. The International Lord of Hate needs notification that the cat is out of the bag on the latest stage of his plan to fill the world with hate.

1 year 2 months ago

She’s probably shocked to actually be getting comments on her blog, and thoughtful ones at that. She’s probably not used to a lot of responses.

Fail Burton
1 year 2 months ago

“I see the use of donotlink as a way to improve my safety a tiny bit when linking to gross.” – Natalie Luhrs

Stupid, stupid girl. Lost an arm by cutting it off when she saw a ladybug on it. A Phyrric victory, but victory.

I don’t think “safety” means the same thing in heavily medicated femland as it does in realspace.

deadcenter
1 year 2 months ago

What I got out of her article was a lot of hurt feelings because in the past while they could not sell many books they could assuage their fragile egos with awards and Larry just took that away from them.

Not many posts in and we have the outbreak of “Reasoned Discourse” that 2nd Amendment advocates usually see when trying to present an opposing view. That is the deletion of posts, moderation of posts, and banning of posters. That’s fine, it’s her echo chamber and she can do whatever she wants to ensure it remains at her preferred level of coziness.

Ken Harkin
1 year 2 months ago

That woman is bat shit crazy. I almost posted but changed my mind. There is no point arguing with an idiot.

dwneylonsr
1 year 2 months ago

Much as I enjoyed WoT I can’t see any rationale in nominating the entire series for best novel of a single year. At best that should be a separate category.

av willis
1 year 2 months ago

I won’t lie, I’m kind of conflicted on that one,because although it does kind of feel like cheating, I grew up with the series and ended up re-reading it a lot more than I probably should have through my high school years and beyond. That being said It could also be argued that there is a certain laconic beauty in Warbound making the cut.

Expendable Henchman
1 year 2 months ago

I started reading Wheel of Time and loved it for the first three books, and bought about 10 of them. By book 5, I felt like I was punching a time clock to work through the literal slog in the wilderness.

At that point, I gave the entire set away to someone else around book three, who was looking for the whole set…

The last book is apparently a super best seller and fantastic writing. I don’t think I’ll ever get around to reading it, though.

a.v willis
1 year 2 months ago

I’d submit that Sanderson’s work is worth taking a look at simply because his approach has a different enough flavor to Jordan’s to compare and contrast the two. Although some of the characters don’t out quite right, (oh Mat, what did they do to you?) he also manages to make some of the more meandering cast members plot lines really come to life.

gingeroni
1 year 2 months ago

The books got so forgettable I accidentally bought “Winter’s Heart” twice thinking I had missed it when it first came out. I ended up selling the the books and have no interest in finishing the series. I started out liking Sanderson’s Mistborn trilogy but found the third book unreadable somewhere around the middle.

DaveP.
1 year 2 months ago

I gave up at about the same point because at the end of book 5, it felt like it had at the ends of 4, 3, and 2: like nothing was resolved, nothing was advanced, and oh my god there’s more of this to some…

Reading shouldn’t have to be hard work.

1 year 2 months ago

But . . . but . . . racism!

Or something.

H
1 year 2 months ago

Hold on, you have an individual work up for nomination, and the entire WoT series is also up for nomination??? Why not just the last WoT book? Is this one of those “famous author/athlete isn’t in the hall of fame yet so let’s give him his credit that’s due”?

Nomad
1 year 2 months ago

It’s due to a rule issue. None of the WoT were nominated (i think) before so that means with the ending part of the series, the whole work can be nominated on the basis of whole story finishing in the designated ime period.

1 year 2 months ago

I suspect “Galactic Patrol” will not win in the Retro-Hugos. That would truly be tragic. And it really isn’t fair for any single novel to be up against the entire Wheel of Time.

1 year 2 months ago

It would, because Galactic Patrol was one of the simultaneously best and most influential science fiction works of the late 1930’s.

1 year 2 months ago

So “Wheel of Time” is Godzilla ?? No problem, we have Mecha to deal with Kaiju.

Now. . . .commence the Krataclysms*

(For those who have not heard of a Krataclysm, it is the effect of Special Snowflake and other similar types, having their craniums explode when exposed to actual fiction, as opposed to SJW screeds masquerading as fiction. . .)

Rhiain
1 year 2 months ago

Who is this Natalie chick and why am I supposed to care about her opinion on scifi book awards?

NR Pax
1 year 2 months ago

Because she’ll cry if you don’t?

1 year 2 months ago

Then she probably needs to break out the tissues.

CombatMissionary
1 year 2 months ago

I think Tom just made his “International Lord of Hate” apprenticeship official. Larry’s progressing on his plan to dominate the world with hatey-haterism.

1 year 2 months ago

Being a natural born asshole, it was obviously going to happen at some time. :)

Expendable Henchman
1 year 2 months ago

Hail Tom, lowly minion of Hate!

[bows formally]

Thank you, thank you. Please throw money!

Fail Burton
1 year 2 months ago

How about “bootlicker of hate?”

This. I got focused on ‘yay, Hugo nom’ then wondered what everyone else was talking about.

Then went back to ‘Yay, Hugo nomination!’ I like Correia’s writing, and his books are fun. The rest doesn’t matter, at least for this reader.

Brendan
1 year 2 months ago

Congrats on your hugo nomination! You deserve it. The accusations of ballot stuffing going around are particularly bizarre, given how the hugo are set up. You literally buy your right to vote. I mean, I suppose you could hand out $4000 to get 100 voters in your pocket, but it doesn’t seem worth it, honestly. Or financially responsible, or sane. Beyond that, what are you going to do, strongarm people across an ocean?

Anyway, Warbound’s the only thing I’ve read on the list, besides most of WoT. Stross is great though (if you like lovecraftian spy thrillers you should check him out), and I’m a big Seanan McGuire fan, so you’ve got some tough competition.

Are you planning on going to Loncon then?

CF
1 year 2 months ago

“The accusations of ballot stuffing going around are particularly bizarre, given how the hugo are set up. You literally buy your right to vote.”

And one has to be able to read.

SFWA SUPPORTS POLL TAXES AND LITERACY TESTS!

>:)

1 year 2 months ago

SFWA does not run or otherwise administrate or actually have anything to do with the Hugo Awards.

Nathan
1 year 2 months ago

The accusations of ballot stuffing are suspicious, especially since I and a couple others here have mentioned that we got multiple ballot PINs, but were paranoid enough to only use one.

1 year 2 months ago

“I look forward to the next few months of nonstop character assassination.”

Having seen you on Twitter, I honestly think you DO look forward to it.

Expendable Henchman
1 year 2 months ago

You’re just watching the old adage of “Stalinists shut their opponents up, Libertarians help opponents to talk themselves into graves.”

OK, I did update it slightly, to keep up with the times.

…I’m kinda wanting to watch this now too. Free entertainment!

Vince C.
1 year 2 months ago

Larry I can’t wait for you to be introduced from now to eternity as Mr. Larry Correia, best selling and Hugo nominated ( dare I dream? Hugo winning? ) author. :-)

1 year 2 months ago

You forgot “International Lord of Hate.” He’s earned the title.

CombatMissionary
1 year 2 months ago

A REAL apprentice ILH would never make such an obvious mistake. Vince must be a SJW plant!

RKW
1 year 2 months ago

I would love NOTHING more than if Pacific Rim won long form dramatic presentation. Nothing against people who liked Frozen, but I hate musicals. Plus, can you imagine just how much more rabid people would be if a brainless-but-awesome, mecha-punching-kaiju movie beat out the feel-good, woman-power movie? Strike a blow for cismale gendernormative fascism, vote Pacific Rim!

Also, I wonder how many comments people from here are posting over at i09 that aren’t getting past moderation.

jabrwok
1 year 2 months ago

Your post reminds me of the Expendables – A Call To Arms video clip: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RqmX0SHI_Po

Alas, there’s a brief ad before the clip starts. The clip is worth it:-)

1 year 2 months ago

Ad was great. Movie looked good too.

1 year 2 months ago

I liked Frozen, thought that it was one of the best fantasy musicals ever made, both for the quality of the music and the gleeful subversion of fantasy-musical tropes. Also good drama.

Haven’t yet seen Pacific Rim, but I will probably like it when I see it, because I love mecha and kaiju movies, and would love to see a good live-action movie combining the two genres.

Oh, you will be VASTLY entertained. I had LOTS of fun being transported back to childhood ith that movie. For a combo-genre movie, it’s awesomely fun AND didn’t trip up on anything – at least anything that I could think of.

Brendan

Oh my god.

Look, I’m on the far left of the spectrum politically, and I admit, I thought the whole “liberals are shutting us out of the hugos” was either overblown hyperbole or a cunning angle for votes (of which I approve), but I just visited a page where someone was calling for everyone suggested by the SPC to be given a no vote.

When a commenter suggested that Wiesskoph shouldn’t be lumped in with Larry, and was told that if she “disavowed his tactics” they’d consider voting for her, otherwise, she and everyone else suggested by Larry should get a no vote.

1 year 2 months ago

So does this mean you’re a real author now?

a.v willis
1 year 2 months ago

Hell, according to the commenters on this post, he’s not even a real libertarian

1 year 2 months ago

I’m always amused to be lectured on libertarianism by non-libertarians. I mean, I’ve been quoted by Judge Andrew Napolitano in one of his books, but clearly I know nothing about libertarian ideology.

Meanwhile, so progressive troglodyte is clearly the expert on Larry’s ideology.

1 year 2 months ago

Yeah, I guess I can understand that. I’d be right there with you.

1 year 2 months ago

Larry, I thought you already knew. You write badthink stuff, therefore it’s COMPLETELY different.

Nathan
1 year 2 months ago

Would these be left libertarians (which in my experience are just progressive light)? I’d look, but I recognize the column. Unless Ghengis Kratman rides through it again, its not worth lowering my SAN score.

alligosh
1 year 2 months ago

ok, so everything that article is “delighted” about is strictly about the labels on the various authors and artists, and has nothing to do with the actual works.

That makes three films on the list with female protagonists, … and one film with a major female character who isn’t white.

(It’s still not good enough in terms of intersectionality, but neither is Hollywood. Small victories are better than none at all.)

As an Irishwoman, a feminist, and a card-carrying socialist, it probably goes without saying that my views on what is best are deeply unlikely to align with neocon American ones.

It’s a good thing the socialist crowd doesn’t like labels; I would hate to see what she would come up with otherwise.

Also?

The Legend Award finalists are also chosen from a shortlist by popular vote, and I am extremely disappointed with the voters this year.* There is not one female person on that list.

* I voted. Clearly I should have gone back to vote many more times.

Legend Award voters, don’t any of you even read epic fantasy by female authors?

And does it strike anyone else as hypocritical to accuse Larry of bloc voting, and then make claim that they should have voted multiple times in a different race simply to get more of a particular minority on the ballot?

av willis
1 year 2 months ago

Well, I told myself I wasn’t going to get sucked into this one, and that worked out right up to the point where a fellow service member spoke up in your defense and one of them started tittering in their hand about the “irony”. I took exception to this, and one double-team later, I drew away some valuable lessons.
1) get your grammar right. I screwed up the contraction on one word and somehow in their eyes that invalidated my entire argument
2) You’re apparently a white cismale heteronormative mastermind. Not really news, but to be honest, I also didn’t expect someone to actually pull that line out in real life. I pointed out the fallacies in that argument, (I also screwed up, I stated you only had two white protagonists in your work, somehow I completely forgot about Faye. Luckily, one of the advantages of dealing with folks who skim till offended is they can miss little details like that :) ) I pointed out that you didn’t really have an agenda, (referring to the diversity horn they’d been tooting out of God knows where,) This in turn led to…
3) You always have an agenda. At this juncture, Someone else claiming to be a fan jumped in with the following statement:

“Re: Correia and MHI– as someone who very much enjoyed the presence of a non-white protagonist and several strong PoC and female secondary characters, has read the books repeatedly, and (as much as I enjoy them) is getting tired of being bashed over the head with Correia’s politics, yeah the message is there. I believe it is unintentional, but it’s there.

Message–Business can serve private interests better than government, government should mind it’s own business and let business do its thing, oh and Guns are Good.”

As I said before, I was referring to the alleged lack of diversity that apparently makes you the White Hispanic devil, and wasn’t really trying to deal with the rest of your politics. The comment from the other individual I was debating basically stated that by creating normal well rounded characters that don’t manage to meet their checklist standards still manages to be as political as working off the checklist. I was tempted at this point, to nominate Michael Z. Williamson for next year, just to see their reactions, but at this point, I remembered why I decided not to wrestle the one eyed slippery snake in last weeks post. I quite frankly don’t have the patience for it, and can’t see how you make a living off of it.

Lucius
1 year 2 months ago

It’s interesting to get your take on Seanann McGuire. I’d gotten a different (perhaps wrong) impression based on her involvement in the whole dustup to remove Jonathan Ross as the Hugo presenter.

Sjonnar
1 year 2 months ago

Sounds like a standard-issue liberal pansy ass whiner to me. “You can’t let that guy host an award! He might call me fat. Boo hoo.”

Parasite was a damn good book though. Depending on how many people read it, Larry might have some serious competition there.

mithbesler
1 year 2 months ago

Wait Seanann McGuire is Mira Grant,did not know that. Really enjoyed her Newsflesh books and while the main character in Parasite was frustrating dense I enjoyed it as well. Kinda of get a feeling that I personally would disagree with her on many things, that does not stop me from liking her books however. But wait the proper thing to do now is to condemn the works of authors who hold different beliefs and opinions than I do.
I so want to be like SJW and judge books and stories based upon the authors and not the actual work. I guess that is too lofty of a goal for me and will just buy books based upon the story and writing and enjoy myself.

Derek Spraker
1 year 2 months ago

Don’t know if you guys know how the WoT fans did it, but it was actually pretty ingenious. It seems that none of the books were ever nominated for a Hugo, and that there is a clause in the Hugo bylaws that allows for a story released in segments to be nominated the year of the final segment being published. Since there were no previous nominations, they did just that and nominated it essentially as a serial-novel. I imagine it’s not what the original bylaw writers had envisioned, and honestly I’m not sure if the WoT fans thought it was possible for it to work, but it apparently did. It sounds fishy at first blush, but makes a certain sense. Jennifer Liang has a more detailed explanation on DragonMount: http://www.dragonmount.com/index.php/News/events/robert-jordans-final-year-of-hugo-eligibility-r693

I love Warbound and I’m also a huge WoT fan, so I have to admit to being conflicted over which one I’d vote for. I guess it’s luck that I’m not going to WorldCon. :-)

Austin
1 year 2 months ago

And I look forward to the next few months of amusing blog posts where you fisk the character assassins. Congrats Larry!

1 year 2 months ago

Sigh. Politics usurp everything. Again. Always. Sigh. Politics. I liked fiction better when it wasn’t so muddied by world-views and vitriol.

Jeff Gauch
1 year 2 months ago

Yet another reason why all progressives are vile. Our host simply wants to get paid for telling stories about guns, babes, and bad guys suffering step increases in entropy. It’s the “social justice” losers who have to bring politics into everything.

Brendan
1 year 2 months ago

And THIS sort of statement is why people on my side politically think so many conservatives are jacked in the head. Blanket statements and insults do nothing but balkanize fans, to the point where both sides are now talking about voting along party lines, in the HUGOS of all things. Which is an insane statement, but nonetheless the truth.

I’m a liberal, and a guy who likes reading Larry’s books. Do I share his politics? No. Do I think he deserves to be nominated for his writing? Yes. But jeez, defending that position gets hard when others sharing it can’t be bothered to be civil is becoming trying.

Jeff Gauch
1 year 2 months ago

Tell you what, you stop supporting an ideology that has killed literally hundreds of millions, and stop voting for obvious idiots like Obama and Biden, then I’ll show you some civility.

Would you object to someone calling Nazi’s vile? Would you consider it uncivil? Well, guess what, the modern Democrat Party is nothing more than a bunch of Nazis with worse fashion sense and a slightly (very slightly) higher opinion of Jews.

SlipperySnake

@Brendan

I am in a similar position as you. I mean the idea that Larry is innocent and just being persecuted because he is ” the voice of an angry generation” is pretty silly. Larry hasn’t ended up in this position as some tragic hero attacked because his views are just too damn subversive. He has actively built his reputation up as a ‘talk radio conservative’ author. The idea that his storytelling ability can transcend his stupid niche is great but my approach has been to withhold my support in areas with political overflow.

I just buy his books and let him handle all his reputation building himself. Larry has made his politics a part of the that package so just don’t support it. Let the niche he has chosen speak for him.

Fail Burton
1 year 2 months ago

Brendan, this is not a matter of “both sides.” To prove that is a simple matter of listing race, gender, and gender-expression organizations, symposiums, awards, webzines, and anthologies. That represents purposeful discrimination and segregation, not an accidental demographic like SFF, the National Basketball Association or the National Hockey League. For reasons the PC won’t and can’t explain, none of their provisional patriarchal racist and sexist supremacist opponents have any of those. It’s WisCon that has a segregated “safer-space,” not SLC ComicCon. Had gay UK comedian and actor Stephan Fry been tapped to host the Hugos, no one on the so-called Conservative side would’ve got on Twitter and started whining and threatening. It’s not true this is divided along party lines, though it seems so. This whole thing is very much about supremacist QUILTBAG fake feminists who simply don’t like straight white males and try and hide that fact in social justice terminology. Follow all of SFF’s dust-ups to their sources, including this one, and you’ll find a radical feminist or their rhetoric at the bottom of every single one. Do you for one minute think “white privilege,” “rape culture,” and “trigger warnings” started with Jim Hines and John Scalzi? They’re nothing but useful idiots. But these are not feminists – they are intolerant bigots hiding in feminism – and there’s a difference.

Brendon,
Your side might think “conservatives are jacked in the head” because of blanket statements and insults… but how is your side any better?
The fact is, people coming here expect to talk politics. I’d bet that trend started after Larry’s famous 2nd Amendment post. But I’d also say that most of the political talk here is in response to the politicization of every-damn thing by the folks on your side of the isle. When I went on, say, I09, or even Cracked, I wasn’t expecting every other post to shoe-horn in politics, but that’s what I got, often out of nowhere. It gets tiresome.

DaveP.
1 year 2 months ago

Brendan, in case you haven’t looked… it’s not Christian conservative gun owners who are trying to censor the Hugo awards. Own it…

1 year 2 months ago

Except Brendan, Progressives are vile. They are a cancer on the world. Their ideology leads to misery, pain and death. They are not about freedom of choice and freedom of the individual. They grow government and force it into every facet of our lives.

Brendan
1 year 2 months ago

I enjoy talking politics, and I don’t mind people disagreeing with me. I certainly wouldn’t come here if that were the case! I have a problem with statements like “all progressives are vile.” It’s insulting, and doesn’t bring anything to the debate.

As for the evils of radical feminism, well, our society is unequal along gender and racial lines. White guys have been at the top of the heap with the biggest slice of the pie petty much from the beginning, and it colors every part of our society. As a straight white guy, that’s been pretty good for me, but as a reasoned, educated man, I see no reason that other groups shouldn’t strive for a bigger slice. Or, given how the deck is stacked against them in some ways, why they shouldn’t get “radical” about it.

Jeff Gauch
1 year 2 months ago

White guys have had the biggest slice of the pie because they FRAKKING MADE THE GORAM PIE! A fact that has privileged me not one bit. Nobody has a problem with minorities getting a bigger piece of the pie, but I want them to make the pie bigger (letting them keep the lion’s share of the increase, but growing my slice as a side-effect). You, on the other hand, want to take from my chunk of the pie and give it to someone else, while at the same time implementing policies that prevent minorities from growing the pie (because if they can create their own wealth, they won’t need you). THAT is why you are vile.

Brendan,

You DO realize the difference between regular feminism and RadFem, right? While I take issue with some aspects of feminism these days, Radical Feminism includes such brainiac ideas as the argument that women do not truly consent to sex with me, and therefore all heterosexual sex is rape.

I’m sorry, but that kind of thing isn’t something I can excuse. I don’t say all progressives are vile. I know too many who are really good people to believe that. Misguided? I might say that, but vile? Never. However, people who think what my wife and I did to create two wonderful children constitutes “rape” sure crosses the line for into the realm of “vile”.

Brendan

Dave P:

Well, aside from one person, I haven’t seen anyone call for a “censorship of the hugos,” and I called her out on that. Most people I’ve seen have been aghast at Vox getting on the ballot and suggesting that people judge the work on it’s merits.

… and now I see I’m being likened to a Nazi. Class act, Jeff.

Jeff Gauch
1 year 2 months ago

I am a class act, that’s why I’m calling you out on your vile ideology. You can lie to yourself, but I won’t permit you to lie to me.

CombatMissionary
1 year 2 months ago

Oh, crap, Slippery’s back again!
Slippery, “Talk radio conservative author”…? Really?
Look, if you want to be taken seriously, why don’t you come up with a list of exactly what constitutes a “talk radio conservative author,” points where Larry conforms to that definition, points where he doesn’t, and a cogent argument as to why that means Larry’s political views are invalid. Otherwise shut up.

CombatMissionary,

Cogent argument? From SlipperSnake? BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA.

That’s a good one.

Brendan,

Progressivism is a vile ideology. It’s liberalism that’s abandoned even the pretext of being about liberty. It’s a greedy, grasping thing dedicated to enslaving and robbing everybody else by making up and demanding from them imaginary ‘rights’ or ‘justice’ that is anything but. It’s Ted Bundy pretending to be Robin Hood.

Now, it’s not entirely true that all progressives are vile. Some honestly don’t know any better, some are flat-out stupid, and some are a combination of both. Unfortunately, since all progressives act like self-righteous douchenozzles, it’s very difficult to tell the evil ones from the ones who are just tools.

Expendable Henchman
1 year 2 months ago

You gents arguing over liberalism’s relative vileness might note that, while you’re allowed to say pretty much anything here you want, Natalie Luhrs, meanwhile, is approving (or not) each comment, and bragging about her bannings.

SlipperySnake

@Brendan

It does start to get pretty funny when they get all self righteous about calling out all our ‘lies’. Keep is up you truth warriors and masters of hyperbole. People called Bush a Nazi too and it was just as retarded.

@Combat

Oh, and to explain the “talk radio” conservative comment or whatever. It is pretty simple if you embrace the bullshit abbreviations and oversimplifications common on talk radio then there you go. If you are so far gone and politically insular that you find half your arguments are conservative catchphrases you might be a redneck….. ummmm credulous conservative. I mean I remember when I was a teen I accepted some of the left wing conspiracy bullshit so I don’t blame people I just suggest that rather than taking other people word for it you look into it yourself. What set me straight was talking to people I trusted and not being aggressive about at which point they basically told me I was full of shit. I mean I wasn’t as active as any of these people seem to be but it did make me reconsider my sources.

Maybe the biggest thing for me was realize that there is probably a pretty damn good reason for the why things are the way they are. Extremists have a ton of excuses for how things got so ‘messed up’ but if you look deeper into the reasons why certain policies got pasted you will see some logic. Non-political concerns tend to trump political ones even within politics. I guess for the left it is all the money in politics and for the right I am not really sure what the force is that is interfering with the best application of policy. Take it easy man, I hope this explains where I am coming from.

CombatMissionary

@ Tom
“Cogent argument? From SlipperSnake? BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA.

That’s a good one.”

What I forgot to add was, “While I’m waiting for that, I want a pony.”

CombatMissionary
1 year 2 months ago

Last year our I was training a bunch of the Soldiers in our Company. I told a few stories from my combat tour in Afghanistan about bad guys upon whose houses I arranged to drop JDAMs. Our Company Commander asked me afterwards if I realized that I had an “evil laugh.” I think I busted the evil laugh out when reading replies to SlipperSnake’s comments, because my wife kept giving me sideways glances until I told her what I was cackling about.
I love MHN.

SlipperySnake
1 year 2 months ago

Also I am randomly pumping up your site although I apparently disagree with you and don’t support your reputation building.

CombatMissionary
1 year 2 months ago

Yes, with a few more guys like you pumping up his word of mouth campaign, Larry may just be able to quit his day job and focus on writing full time.

Synova
1 year 2 months ago

Was fiction ever not muddied by politics and world-views and vitriol? The world isn’t so small-town anymore where you learned to have public manners and get along with and work together with all the nutcases in all their variety because your entire world was the same 300 people. But certainly even when communication was slow fiction was a cesspool of opinionated jack*sses. And in the really old days you could publish yourself, too, and authors often did so.

I think that what has happened more recently, in the last very few years actually, is that after many decades of increased institutionalization of publishing and the rise of the Gate Keepers, a bunch of people have realized that they don’t have to self-censor quite so harshly in order to be published anymore. It makes the situation more fraught at the moment and perhaps a bit uncomfortable.

Sometimes discomfort is a good thing… but that doesn’t mean it’s not discomfort.

Jeff Gauch
1 year 2 months ago

That’s why there’s so much vitriol coming from the Left. They thought they had won, that their long march through the institutions had been successful. Now they see the country abandoning the institutions they worked so hard to dominate, in no small part due to the leftist domination, and it infuriates them. They’re lashing out in desperation, in the faint hope that one last push will get them to paradise.

Nobody (except themselves) ever accredited the Left with an overabundance of brains.

1 year 2 months ago

Yes. As always, politics usurp everything. Again. Sigh.

To clarify my original comment, the Hugo Awards used to be story-driven awards. A good story made you popular, and popular won you a Hugo. The winners were classic SFF authors like Heinlein, Silverberg, Leiber, Asimov, Le Guin… the list could go on, but the fact remains that every winning author differs in their political views in some way or another, with some on one extreme and some on the other. But over the past twenty years or so, especially the last decade (you agree), it seems the awards have become more about politics than content. Maybe I’m wrong about that, maybe not. Either way, politics spoil the fun and entertainment that SFF is supposed to be. And that’s all.

Besides, if I want to read about politics, I’ll visit the Political Science, History, and Philosophy sections of my library to research and ascribe my views to the side that appeals to me, via the fields’ experts rather than reading the books of an amateur dabbler who writes about social welfare among blue aliens or the effects of capitalism on the Instantaneous Travel industry.

Sigh. Politics. Always.

P.S. Turns out, if you’re real quiet in a room full of loud, diversely opinionated people, they’ll do your arguing for you. :D

SlipperySnake
1 year 2 months ago

This is quite a good point, the introduction of the internet and accessibility has led to vast changes in the power structure of publishing. More niches will be available but I think it will settle out. As authors attempt to take advantage of these niches they will build their reputations but at the end of the day I think it will mostly be reliant on the same thing, their ability to tell stories. Maybe it is naive to think that the cream will automatically rise to the top but I am hopeful that at least some of it will.

1 year 2 months ago

Shhh! I’m empathizing with sad widdle puppies. Poor widdle puppies.

1 year 2 months ago

I nominated The Wheel of Time (in addition to Warbound) because Brandon Sanderson suggested it. Am I to believe that every previous Hugo nomination cycle never involved the candidates asking their fans to vote for them?

The idea that this year’s nomination process was exceptional is statistically out of bounds. Not that facts matter to the people who would think such.

1 year 2 months ago

It’s funny that Brandon Sanderson asked people to vote for his work, and the biggest knock is that the nomination is for the entire series and not that he “ballot stuffed”.

It’s just amusing to me that it’s OK for Brandon to do it, but not Larry.

The hypocrisy. It burns.

Sean
1 year 2 months ago

nope, never read any of brandon’s work. just not that much into fantasy anymore. Don’t object to him calling him for his fans to vote. I do though strenuously object to the ENTIRE series of WoT being in the fucking “single novel” category, and object vociferously. Although given the explanation we’ve had of the by laws…the Hugo people got only themselves to blame for backlash on that one.

1 year 2 months ago

Agreed. I’m not a fan of it either, but like you said, the Hugo folks screwed up on that one.

junior
1 year 2 months ago

What I object to is that a book by Sanderson set in someone else’s setting got the nomination. :P

Sanderson’s settings and “rules” tend to be quite creative well-thought out, and his books are rather enjoyable reads imo.

dyingearth
1 year 2 months ago

I look at some of Hugo twitter feed on Hugo Awards, Sanderson is getting his fare share of grief for belong to the wrong religion. As an avowed lapse Buddhist and current agnostist, I just cannot tolerate the Leftists’ Religious Intolerance.

1 year 2 months ago

Pathetic, but still no accusations of ballot stuffing.

In fact, Larry and Vox are the ones getting hit on that despite the fact that Tor, Scalzi, and apparently plenty of others do it regularly.

Jonathan
1 year 2 months ago

There’s a blog on the TOR website calling for people to vote for WOT. I see no problem with it. It’s their right to do so. It’s only ballot stuffing if people vote for things they don’t approve of.

1 year 2 months ago

And don’t you just love the hypocrisy. After all, Tor’s blog did the same thing, then Tor’s blog tried to decry Larry for doing the same.

You’d think they’d take the hint at some point.

junior
1 year 2 months ago

Dyingearth – Not really a surprise given the grief that’s been thrown Orson Scott Card’s way recently (entirely because Card’s views match his LDS religion). Sanderson’s profile is rising fast enough (and it’s well-deserved, imo) that I’m sure people are going to try putting him on the spot with regard to the same issues that Card got in trouble over (if they’re not already).

av willis
1 year 2 months ago

Give Sanderson his due, he’s given one of the more rational perspectives on the whole mess

1 year 2 months ago

No issue with Sanderson. None at all.

Doug Wardell
1 year 2 months ago

Congratulations, Larry. I agree it’s probably a long-shot to take down WoT, but I think your noms are going to dominate overall even if all the libs give our guys no-votes. PS, I’m really looking forward to seeing you at Congregate, and please keep your original version of the acceptance speech handy for the lols. :)

MattG
1 year 2 months ago

You know, for all the crap people (myself included) give Scalzi, he’s one of the only guys out there to have a reasonable response to the nominations. Good for him.

Lounging
1 year 2 months ago

Alternative interpretation: Scalzi, cockroach that he is, senses the tide is turning against him and is scrambling to survive.

1 year 2 months ago

My guess is that Scalzi discovered that Rupert Murdoch’s “withered, reactionary grandpa teats” actually taste pretty good, but got scared when it appeared that his crew of over-privileged and badly-educated Jacobins was getting ready to turn on him for suckling them. Now he’s making “Sweet Voice of Reason” noises. Whatever (no pun intended).

Another possibility is that they realized that attacking Toni Weisskopf was pushing things too far, too fast. The backlash on that was pretty harsh.

Unfortunately the mob is much easier to arouse than it is to quell, and 9 Thermidor always seems to arrive.

1 year 2 months ago

I joined up for Hugo nomination process because I felt like it was time for The Wheel of Time to get the recognition that it deserves. All I know about you is that you wrote a pretty awesome blogpost about gun control a while back.

I have to say that I am surprised that people are freaking about this. From what I can tell you are getting condemned for doing the same thing that other authors, George R.R. Martin in particular have done over the years, which seems unfair, ridiculous, and intolerant. Ballot stuffing is utterly ridiculous. To suggest that anyone would spend $120 for just 3 votes, not to mention more money, is a silly argument.

Just so I can understand what all the hate is about I bought a copy of Hard Magic and a copy of Irrational Atheist by Vox Day. Assuming that both your book and Vox Day’s will be made available in the voters packet I will read both, and if they are good I’ll nominate them, if not I won’t. However, what this controversy did do is move your books up my To-Read list. I want to find out for myself why you’re so “hateful”…

VD
1 year 2 months ago

The latter should suffice to explain it. Just be aware that TIA is non-fiction. If you’d like to read the actual work in question, you can download a free epub of OPERA VITA AETERNA here: http://t.co/yjOJrVVP2w

Expendable Henchman
1 year 2 months ago

Hey Vox, accusing you of racism seems to have almost become an internet meme.

Have you written an article somewhere explicitly saying “I’m Vox, and here are my opinions why I do or don’t consider myself racist.”? I don’t have time to read through all the years of all your blogs to form an opinion, and I’m also not interested in “this tweet wasn’t” or “that post wasn’t” since even Al Sharpton has presumably said something at one time that wasn’t racist. (Possibly in his sleep…)

I’m tired of hearing only one side. Thank you for your time replying.

Expendable Henchman
1 year 2 months ago

After thinking a bit more, I’d say the smartest move would be to say “Wheel of Time” doesn’t qualify. What if *another* last book is published *next* year, or in 2016?

Will it void the 2014 Hugo? Are there grounds for a fraud lawsuit by representing the book as the last, while secretly planning yet another?

Will the replacement author be considered a bastard for abusing the Hugo system by writing yet another best seller? Will that one make the series eligible *again*?

I’m just seeing insurmountable problems with the galaxy sized “Last of a series” loophole.

VD
1 year 2 months ago

I’ve stated my position before: I don’t care what people do or do not consider racist. I am scientifically literate, I do not believe in the existence of any kind of material equality, and I believe that A can never be Not A. I also believe one cannot legitimately judge an individual by a group metric, or vice-versa.

Call that what you will. I don’t care. And to the inevitable question: “do you believe Population Group X is superior/inferior”, I can only reply with a question: superior/inferior by what metric?

That’s not an evasion. It is the only valid response.

1 year 2 months ago

“After thinking a bit more, I’d say the smartest move would be to say “Wheel of Time” doesn’t qualify.”

It appears to be within the rules, so fair game as far as I’m concerned.

” What if *another* last book is published *next* year, or in 2016?”

Unless I’m misunderstanding the rule, that book wouldn’t be eligible. From what I’ve been reading (and note that I haven’t looked at the actual rules), this loophole only kicks in if none of the previous parts have ever been nominated. It’s a last-hurrah sort of thing.

Now if it turns out that people don’t like that, they can change the rules for future years, but I’d be opposed to changing the rules retroactively for this year.

The WoT isn’t my personal cup of tea, but I’m okay with it being on the ballot (and even winning, if it comes to that, though I’d rather see our host win). The Hugo is supposed to be about the books that fans love best, and there are clearly a whole lot of WoT fans. If it wins it’s not going to be some travesty of what the award is supposed to stand for.

Expendable Henchman
1 year 2 months ago

I’m thinking there ought to be a new category “Hugo Award for completed series where the author is now dead and cannot add more ‘last’ books to re-qualify”

Because the question really does arise with the “trilogy” of Hitchiker’s Guide to the Galaxy, which I think is up to about six or so, with the last 4 being “last”

It’s a very tough question, because implying an author must stop writing after a book designated “last” is a difficult proposition. It’s especially difficult to say “now that series has been nominated or won a Hugo, you’re finished.” And if they write another anyway, does it revoke the Hugo?

Does it revoke the Hugo is somebody adds another long after death?

Or does the series just keep re-qualifying every time another book arrives?

What about Discworld? I think it’s up to about 30, and would have a LOT of nominations, were it eligible.

Fail Burton
1 year 2 months ago

I’m glad the whining of bigoted feminists is getting an unofficial nomination alongside Rachel Swirsky’s gay dinosaur porn and Kameron Hurley’s “We Have Always Avoided the Draft Board.” I’m glad to see Ann Leckie’s novel get nominated because Skippy the transgender robot is a keen character. The name “Radish Reviews” doesn’t really make any sense and given the racist anti-racist tone, I have unofficially changed the name to “Orwell’s Great Lard Sandwich” and hope Natalie Luhrs gets nominated next year for most abrasive fan writer with the most abrasive fan – Ann Somerville. I don’t know who’s hosting the Hugo awards now that Ross has been beaten down by QUILTBAG feminism but I hope it’s Ann Somerville and her titanium alloy personality. My second choice would be a piece of sandpaper.

1 year 2 months ago

Obviously the Hugo host has to be a Democrat-supporter (because anyone who isn’t is clearly EVIL) who writes message fic (because that’s the only sort that counts). Ideally someone who is a past winner too. And someone with a popular blog.

There’s an obvious candidate who fits these criteria – Orson Scott Card.

I’d love to see the reaction of the LGBTQRSDGHSOWIBDWGHUWIHQDUHWDAUHWIDHAIWUDHIAUWHDIUyYYAEAMJHB8934792349237482374* crowd to that one.

* I lose track of what the groupthink-approved acronym is today.

Fail Burton
1 year 2 months ago

Mary Robinette Kowal would make a good host because she could have a puppet of Skippy the transgender robot and Skippy could tell the transgender joke about two transgender on opposite sides of a gender and one asks how they can get to the other side of the gender and the other replies you are on the other side.

1 year 2 months ago

Even though I’ve never read it, and even though there are two authors on the best novel list that I have read and do like, I sort of hope Wheel of Time wins. The Hugo is supposedly an SF AND fantasy award, but traditional fantasy almost never wins. Even The Lord of the Rings never won. Game of Thrones has never won (in book form). Earthsea – nope. Thomas Covenant? Nope. Malazan Book of the Fallen? Nope. Book of the First Law? Nope.

Saladin Ahmed got a nomination last year for Throne of the Crescent Moon, which was an exception – well-written, exciting, traditional heroic fantasy. However, even though I thought that book was superb, there’s that suspicion that he got nominated because of his ethnic background.

perlhaqr

Thomas Covenant? Nope.

That’s not because the books are works of Fantasy. That’s because Thomas Covenant is even more annoying than the SJW crowd. Imagine a series of fantasy novels about Michael Moore. (No, not that kind of fantasy. Stop. Stop gagging. Oh. Oh dear. Here, let me hold your hair for you. All better now? Good. Moving on.) Can you even imagine how whiny and boring that would be?

1 year 2 months ago

Oh, yeah. I bounced off that one hard. It wasn’t that the protagonist was morally reprehensible per se (there are plenty of good stories about bad guys), but that he was a whiner. How anyone could make it through multiple volumes of whining is beyond me, but apparently there are plenty of people whose tastes differ.

1 year 2 months ago

Good lord, Thomas Covenant. I couldn’t even get through the first book. He was even more insufferably self-pitying than Lackey’s Vanyel, which is going some.

1 year 2 months ago

Book? I didn’t even get through the first chapter. That insufferable whining.

rustypaladin
1 year 2 months ago

Oh, thank goodness! I’m not the only one! The whining was bad. I couldn’t make it past the rape. What a douche.

1 year 2 months ago

It was all I had to read on a summer camping trip, so I made it through them all. In self defense, my mind has purged all of it to the point I remember about a paragraph’s worth.

But it is pretty impressive that Donaldson managed to make me pray for Leprosy to win.

(As for Michael Moore, I’ve long maintained that the only difference between Michael Moore and a colostomy bag is capacity.)

Dr. Mauser,

I beg to differ. A colostomy bag is also useful, and there are people who actually need one. Michael Moore meets neither criteria.

1 year 2 months ago

Tom, what I mean is, that when both are full, MM is even more full of sh*t than a standard bag.

I gotcha.

However, I still think the comparison is unfair to the colostomy bag.

junior
1 year 2 months ago

I read the first two trilogies (I think he’s published a new one) waaaaaaaaaay back when. I think I started out with the last book of the first trilogy, and didn’t particularly care for it. Then I read the second trilogy, which I found to be markedly more palatable (probably because he has a female fellow-traveler from Earth along for the ride in that book, which iirc helps his personality immensely). And then even later I read the first two books of the first trilogy.

I’ve also read Donaldson’s two “Mirror” books (and there seems to be a clever reference to one of those books in the MMORPG Final Fantasy XIV – there’s an open world event called “A Man Rides Through” that involves killing creatures called ‘Mirror Knights’). And the only thing I can say is that I’d really really really hate to live in one of Donaldson’s settings. They don’t seem like very pleasant places.

1 year 2 months ago

Oh good LORD…. the only time I didn’t ever gag at Moore was when they blew up his ham-filled puppet in Team America: World Police. (Yes, they really did fill the puppet with ham for that shot) I genuinely was sad when the Moore ass-kicking scene got removed for the published version of Dead Six. It was one of my fave parts.

1 year 2 months ago

Tom: I will gladly grant you that.

1 year 2 months ago

Apparently Vox Day can’t be nominated because of his extremist political views. Huh? China Mieville won the 2010 Best Novel Hugo and he’s an actual Marxist. Vox Day’s views seem pretty mainstream compared to that.

dyingearth
1 year 2 months ago

You don’t understand. To the SJW crowd, Marxism is far too right wing. So they barely tolerate him. Vox Day is their Anti-Christ.

Expendable Henchman
1 year 2 months ago

Dude? Marxism IS mainstream now. “At some point you’ve made enough money”, “You didn’t build that”, ad nauseam…

Jonathan
1 year 2 months ago

Marxism and communism are accepted because they treat everyone equally — everyone that survives, at least. It matters little that they treat everyone horribly, just equally. No one is discriminated against based on race, religion (if it is allowed), and so on.

1 year 2 months ago

Really? See this (very lengthy) series of articles about the explicit anti-semitism of the political party that China Mieville stood for election for. (Thankfully he got something like 1% of the vote.)

1 year 2 months ago

So with Miéville it’s “Come for the Marxism, stay for the Judenhass”?

Congratulations on the Hugo nom-nom – er, nomination. Sorry, just had Easter dinner, and I am still in a food coma.

Also, THOROUGHLY enjoying MHI series; I got the first book, blazed through it and laughed with delight (and cackled evilly at parts) which would prompt my darling hubby to ask why. I’ve turned the copy over to him, and I hear evil snickers when he reads. I think he’s planning on introducing a few of his friends to it as well.

I also bought a copy for my brother’s birthday. He emailed me just to say how much fun it was, and that he reserves reading a chapter at home after a long, long arduous day at work (I believe he’s an accountant of some kind. Works for Ernst and Young.) The opening of throwing the overbearing, PITA boss out the window made him smile.

Waiting for the other books to arrive; and I’ll order the Grimnoir series next. You’ve been added to my list of authors whose books I must obtain.

Expendable Henchman
1 year 2 months ago

Just gave my girlfriend a copy of Monster Hunter Legion, personalized and signed by the man himself.

She squealed.

She’s a keeper.

And you sound like a wonderful boyfriend with great taste in books and presents.

b^,^b

perlhaqr
1 year 2 months ago

Hurrah for happy puppies!

*looks forward to my reader pack*

derf
1 year 2 months ago

Yay. Congrats. I love your books. As a judge, I’d pick WOT. But, for theater, I’d vote for Warbound. And I think I’d pick Warbound second. I like most of the authors on that list.

Life is gray. I’d guess that, on one hand, there is oppression of nonliberal authors – to be expected as people working for money dont become publishers. And a lot of failed, perpetually broke and therefore left-leaning authors running SFWA. But, that is a perpetual problem in most organizations. Fun fact ..at Caltech, the physics professoriate periodically sacrifices one of their own as dean after a humanities dean has successfully futzed up the place. The prof gets to quit after cleaning up the nonsense. I am hinting that, if people capable of real work refuse to serve in these organizations, they end up being run by idiots. And idiots, being broke, tend to lean left. And, finally, a prejudice towards ‘real literature’ as opposed to stuff that is fun to read. Face it, on average, fewer than one of the average Hugo nominees in a given category is literature.

And, on the other hand, Larry may be more reactive and prone to exaggeration than the average less liberal author. I kind of don’t think of him as conservative because I grew up with some real hillbillies. I see the real oppression as requiring wholly unique themes, with odd gender roles, to be considered closer to literature. That often results in unreadable books – similar to Oscar vehicle movies.

And, lastly, thanks to Larry – his articles on gun control were educational and changed my mind on a few issues.

1 year 2 months ago

I propose that every Barfly going to LonCon try to arrange to make one of these, or bring one with them.

Be generous with them. Pass them out to all the people who are offended by your presence.

Be doubly generous and make sure a slice is waiting for John Scalzi wherever he goes.

Sean
1 year 2 months ago

I’d have gone for coconut rum as opposed to kahlua.

1 year 2 months ago

Hmmm, I finally went and read the nominations. Down in the smaller categories, I was surprised to see that Taral Wayne wasn’t on the Fan Artist ballot this year (He and Steven Stiles are tied for the greatest number of nominations without winning in that category, something around 16 or 17 IIRC). Well maybe next year.

C.S.Gilmore
1 year 2 months ago

Awesome Larry keep up the fan building, literati head exploding, fun to read work. :)

oldnfo
1 year 2 months ago

ROTFLMAO! Good for y’all for upsetting their precious little applecart! So our votes DID do some good… Glad to hear it!

1 year 2 months ago

So, what happens next for we Crusaders Against PRS? I’ve seen reader packs mentioned a few times, so should I start watching my mailbox? Or will downloads be available for Kindles?

Bill Powe
1 year 2 months ago

Last year we were sent a link to download the packet. Lots of the stories were present in both pdf and epub formats. I’m not sure if we (LoneStarCon3 attending members) will get the packets or be eligible to vote for the final Hugo winners without buying a supporting membership in Loncon3, I’ve heard it both ways.

Tully
1 year 2 months ago

The rule for NOMINATING is “Each member of the administering Worldcon, the immediately preceding Worldcon, or the immediately following Worldcon as of January 31 of the current calendar year shall be allowed to make up to five (5) equally weighted nominations in every category.”

The rule for VOTING is “Only WSFS members may vote.” That means only supporting or attending members of the Worldcon at which the awards are to be given may vote the final ballot.

Tully
1 year 2 months ago

IOW, both LoneStarCon3 and LonCon supporting and attending members could nominate, but ONLY LonCon members can vote the final ballot.

rocinante2
1 year 2 months ago

Reading some of the comments at io9 and elsewhere, I was puzzled by the reactions and asked myself, “What kind of person *immediately*, resorts to assumptions/accusations of cheating or conspiracy theories when a (nominally) democratic process produces a result they don’t like?”

My first thought was, “isolated, xenophobic, ignorant and superstitious tribespeople, that’s who.”

When thought of that way, the behavior makes perfect sense. They may have IT jobs and drink free-trade coffee, but they’re half-children who have no idea how the world works outside their bubble.

Rob
1 year 2 months ago

Or they’re projecting furiously…

1 year 2 months ago

Oh, they’re always projecting. All you’ve got to do is watch for a while, and it’s very clear indeed.

[…] A Blow has been Struck Against Puppy Related Sadness (Larry Correia, Monster Hunter Nation) […]

Fail Burton
1 year 2 months ago

“Correia clearly attracts even more of the kind of foul-mouthed angry male commenters who launch bitter, misogynistic and condescending attacks against women like smart, vocal Natalie who speak truth to power without the slightest fear.” – Ann Somerville

That’s the kind of joy and fun I like to hang out with. Great at parties.

“…people whose mission in life is to basically to strip away your human rights are fucking scary.  As the member of a couple of groups that a lot of people would like to throw in a gaol or drag to death behind the back of a truck, I get it.” – Kameron Hurley

Lovely paranoia. Fun at parties and card games.

“I love analogies! Let’s have one. …restaurants… at random moments, the waiter comes over and punches any women at the table right in the face. And people of color and/or LGBT folks as well! Now, most of the white straight cis guys who eat there, they have no problem–after all, the waiter isn’t punching them in the face…” – Ann Leckie

Drama and high tragedy! Oodles of laughs at parties. Great on long flights.

1 year 2 months ago

Internet arguing checklist: Make shit up.

Because Larry’s always going on about how women need to be barefoot and naked, making us sandwiches and dragging gay guys behind trucks. [/sarcasm]

MattG

Shouldn’t they?

Fail Burton
1 year 2 months ago

LBGTPoCFems live in a great internment camp. Their movements are severely circumscribed with the occasional drawing and quartering plus random jaw-jackings at inopportune moments by cis-het honkey-men who yell like Confederates and wish the South had won. The cis-het menz use foul terms like “lady” and like Nazi-drawings by Frank Frazetta.

White cis-het menz have the Mammoth Book of White Menz Stories, safer-space for white-menz at racist Utah Mormon comic convention, have Eurofuturism SF for the whites, special white cis-het menz SF web sites, best white menz SF awards named after racist Hugo Gernsback, Cis-Het Menz Anti-Defamation League of Gentlemen, and Cis-Normative Heinlein White Menz Society to foster writing workshops for vulnerable white boyz who have no car fare to get to racist Utah Mormon comic conventions.

1 year 2 months ago

“people whose mission in life is to basically to strip away your human rights are fucking scary”

She means, like, Marxists?

Because the last time I checked the body count was something like Marxists: 100 million, Libertarians: 0.

The most gross violations of human rights all seem to happen in countries like North Korea, China, Venezuela, Zimbabwe… (hint: none of those countries are run by libertarians or U.S.-style conservatives).

Of course the Special Ones never stop to realize that every time the Marxists get power, the “intellectual” class is always among the first groups sent off to the camps.

Being a Marxist should be as socially unacceptable as being a Nazi. Maybe even less so.