The MHI RPG and Employee Handbook is available for everyone!

I’ve been getting a ton of questions from people who missed the Kickstarter when they could pick up the MHI RPG and Employee Handbook. As of now all of the KS orders have been fulfilled and Hero Games is selling them.

Here is the hard copy of the book:  https://www.herogames.com/viewItem.htm?itemID=294209  And it is a huge, fat, hard cover, fully illustrated bit of awesomeness. This thing really is gorgeous and it is packed with fluff and some really remarkable full color illustrations. Hero Games did a fantastic job on this project. The writing, layout, and art is all top notch.

This link is for the PDF copy only: https://www.herogames.com/viewItem.htm?itemID=294217

And this is for the bundle of both the book and the PDF. I think this is the best deal: https://www.herogames.com/viewItem.htm?itemID=294214

And come on, you know you totally want some limited edition MHI dice to roll when you are punching imaginary monster face! https://www.herogames.com/viewItem.htm?itemID=294219

Reminder: Only a few days left for Hugo voting
Shameless self promotion time: Swords of Exodus!

47 Comments on "The MHI RPG and Employee Handbook is available for everyone!"

Oh, hellz, yes!

Matt Power
2 years 1 month ago

Got my copy in the post yesterday and had to laugh when I got to the body armour picture. I suspect there there are several other cameos in the artwork.

LepusKhan

Your suspicion is correct… ;D

2 years 1 month ago

I had to cut at least one cameo (mine), but it appears in one of the PDFs somewheres I think. ;)

Adin
2 years 1 month ago

A thread on RPG.net started up about it. You are getting a hint of shit for your politics but overall the buzz seems positive.

(I made sure to drop a link to your main firearms article.)

[…] For those role-players out there, the Monster Hunters International RPG and Employee Handbook is available. […]

Achillea
2 years 1 month ago

Man, I wish I still had a tabletop group. PbP rping is great, but this looks like a lot of fun, too.

J. Wlas
2 years 1 month ago

So glad to see its release. A large portion of the artwork is by my good friend Tony Vassallo a very talented comic book artist but a poor mini-painter. You can’t have it all. I guess.

Cadeyrn
2 years 1 month ago

Just ordered mine! I am at work so I can’t download and devour the .pdf version. Can’t help but wonder: does it come with an official MHI candidate questionnaire like the following:
Evil looms. Do you a) try to recall everything you read about its’ weaknesses; b) attempt to use charm and wit to negotiate; c) back away slowly toward the nearest telephone, or d) cowboy up?

Steven S. Long
2 years 1 month ago

No official questionnaire, sadly, but that’s a pretty awesome idea. :)

2 years 12 days ago

As every gamer knows– good ideas never die– they just show up in supliments. *wink, wink*

2 years 1 month ago

I am holding my copy in my formerly nicotine-stained fingers, and I can attest to the fact that it is SHINY. Just… wow.

MattW
2 years 1 month ago

Because it might take awhile for folks near each other physically to get into the game, has anyone thought about starting a Google Hangouts MHI RPG group? I would be very interested in getting something going even though I haven’t played table top RPGs for many years.

Achillea
2 years 1 month ago

I like this idea (see my post above). I’m not really familiar with google hangouts, but I’m fairly competent at creating/skinning boards in proboards and jcink. They’re free, and I’d be happy to set one up. Plus there must be some CSS wizards around here somewhere who would be even better at the coding than I am.

MattW
2 years 1 month ago

The nice thing about Google Hangouts is that you can still have the face to face experience (to a certain extent) by having multi-person video chats so that those in different geographic locations can still have the old school gaming experience without travelling to meet each other.

The only thing it doesn’t work well for is RPGs with miniatures and boards/maps. Although I’m sure someone can figure out a good way to get that to work in Hangouts too.

Achillea
2 years 1 month ago

hmm. There’s probably a way to rig that in jcink. If only via a redirect forum that links to a Google Hangout. I take it a Hangout is some sort of dedicated chat room? (I’d go look myself, but my work’s server classifies it as social media and blocks it, so I can’t right now).

MattW
2 years 1 month ago

Yes video chat room basically.

Julaire
2 years 1 month ago

A possible solution– have whoever is running the game (or whoever has the maps/minis), set up a second account and point the camera there at the map. Put some letter/number designators around the edge, and then the players can say “I move Milo to A4 and fire Abomination 2 at the hoard of zombies on a line from A4 to C10.” or similar. Since most people these days have at least 2 of laptop, smartphone, or tablet, it shouldn’t be too hard to find someone willing to pick up a 2nd google+ account for the map camera.

MattW
2 years 1 month ago

I like that idea, now to get a decent group together!

Julaire
2 years 1 month ago

I would certainly be interested, depending on timing. Of course, I still have to get the books, as I didn’t get in on the kickstarter. If I get them now, though, I can get Larry to sign them at SLC Comic Con. Which would be cool.

Julaire
2 years 1 month ago

And of course, if we could con Larry into participating on occasion, well, that would be epic levels of awesome coolness. On par with the epic levels of awesome that he uses to describe his X million hits to the site posts. =)

Gamera977
2 years 1 month ago

Sounds like a cool idea! I’d be thinking about running past our local gaming shop and posting a notice since I got my copy. But the last few groups I’ve been in had about as many narcissist losers who apparently could only get attention by starting endless pointless inter-party arguments as good players. Eventually we ended up spending more time arguing than playing so I dropped out.
If you need one more player I’d love to give it a whirl. I’d offer to contribute miniatures (somehow ended up with a massive collection of the things) but since it’s virtual I guess there’s not much point!

Steven S. Long
2 years 1 month ago

I’m n a weekly gaming group that plays via Google Hangouts and it works very well. As someone observed, it does a pretty good job of standing in for the “group around the table” experience; we can talk to one another, joke, etc. in realtime.

For maps/minis, the GM is able to post graphics he creates with some simple drawing program. Not sure how he does it but it’s quite possible.

2 years 1 month ago

Larry, am i missing something or is the price the same for the book alone ($60) and the book +pdf ($60) ?

Matt Power
2 years 1 month ago

That seems to be the way of it – there are 3 options. Just the book ($60), book and PDF (also $60) and PDF alone ($25)

Search for ‘Monster Hunter’ on that page, they’re all grouped together.

Carl Rigney
2 years 1 month ago

Yes, the book alone or book+PDF are both $60: the PDF is free with purchase of the book. Or if you buy the book from a game store that uses Bits and Mortar they can enter your email address at http://www.bits-and-mortar.com/ and you’ll get a download code for the PDF. Or you can buy the book at the Indie Press Revolution booth at Gen Con and forward your Square receipt email to pdf@indiepressrevolution.com and after the convention they’ll send you a link to the PDF.

The PDF also comes with an extra PDF with 29 more monsters and a 2-page rules summary.

Canthros
2 years 1 month ago

I really, really hope this means my copy from the Kickstarter campaign will show up very soon. I’m all impatient and stuff. (I have patches and dice, though. Woo!)

Canthros
2 years 1 month ago

And the book was at the mailbox when I got home. Awesome.

Cathy
2 years 1 month ago

My dice came in recently. They are awesome except – I have 18 of the little critters, and I have no need of any of them except they look great. Not sure how I ended up with so many. And not sure what to do with the extras….

3z1
2 years 1 month ago

Play a tabletop miniatures wargame. I commonlly roll more than 18 dice.

2 years 1 month ago

No need for dice? Error, does not compute!

Achillea
2 years 1 month ago

I could send you a SASE … ;)

Cathy
2 years 1 month ago

Scott – I really only wanted some as collectible items. I don’t do the game playing thing.

Achillea – Fine by me, if it wouldn’t make Larry’s head want to explode. I know how big he is on Getting Paid!

Achillea
2 years 1 month ago

lol. I’m just kidding, really. I do PbP rp, haven’t used dice in years (though I have a closetful from my Champions days).

2 years 1 month ago

Book, PDF, and dice ordered! Thanks for branching out into other stuff and introducing me to new things. Now I need people to play with. I’ll pay attention to that Google Hangouts thing above.

Jon Woodman
1 year 11 months ago

I’m quite excited to see this Larry. Will be getting my copy ASAP. My son and I have been remarking what a good rpg this would make. So when does the Grimnoir Chronicles rpg come out? Hint-hint!

1 year 5 months ago

Is this no longer available?

1 year 10 days ago

Larry, FYI all the links to herogames.com are broken. They appear to have completely reconfigured the site and buried the store inside the forums. I am sadly not kidding: http://www.herogames.com/forums/store/product/.

Might wanna update the post after you get through trying to cause Jim Butcher heart failure.