HUGO Nominating! There is only ten days LEFT!

Okay, for the many of you who I talked into registering to nominate/vote for the Hugos with my relentless onslaught of sad puppies, by now you should have received an email with your PINs for voting. (I just got mine last night).

Now, obviously I want everybody to vote for what they think is the best in each category. I’m not going to tell anybody what to do. If you think some particular book/story is absolutely amazing, then put it up.

What I would like to do with this post is have all of you post in the comments about what you think was totally awesome which came out in 2012. Tell us why you think some work should be nominated.

I’ll post my actual list once I get it filled in.

I am voting for Monster Hunter Legion for best novel, because I am selfish and entirely motivated by spite. 🙂

I am voting for Elitist Book Reviews for Best Fanzine, because I’m sick and tired of jerk face snob reviewers.

I’m voting for Schlock Mercenary in graphic works. (I have to check Howard’s blog to see what eligible 2012 book title was). This is a killer hard category, but I’ve been reading this comic every day for 12 YEARS and it has gotten better and better, with an excellent overall story. EDIT: The 2012 eligable book was Random Access Memorabilia.

I need to figure out what category Writing Excuses Podcast fits in, because they keep getting nominated, they’re all my friends, they’re awesome, but they keep running up against some unstoppable Dr. Who juggernaut every year.

EDIT: For artist, I can’t believe I forgot Vincent Chong. It is because he does the covers of my French novels, so mentally I was thinking those don’t count, but they totally do. The Hugo isn’t limited to America. Duh.  The French Hard Magic cover was one of the coolest book covers I’ve ever seen and it came out in 2012.

Short stories/novellas, I’m still thinking about, because there are some really good ones. Here is a link to all of the Baen eligable works:  http://larrycorreia.wordpress.com/2013/02/13/hugo-nominating/ And if you look those up, check out Gray Rinehart. Baen’s slushmaster general who has some eligable works.

So post below and let’s discuss. What do you think were the best works. Best cover artist? Best editor? Toni Weiskopf and Jim Minz, obviously. Best movie? Best TV show?

What do you think?

EDIT: Lots of good suggestions being listed below. Check them out.

The Drowning Empire, Episode 9: Letters of Moto Subotai
Another sneak peak from the MHI RPG

28 Comments on "HUGO Nominating! There is only ten days LEFT!"

tjic (@tjic)

> Best movie?

Does Al Gore have a documentary this year? Because his crap is PURE science // fiction.

(cymbal!)

Tip you servers generously. I’m here all week. You’ve been great, folks!

steve
steve

Wouldn’t it be more appropriately “Fantasy”?

SF is supposed to be “If this happened, here are the consequences”. Fantasy is: here’s an impossible world, let’s just keep making things up as we go…

One note. The title should read: There are only ten days…

Steve D - Elitist Book Reviews
Thank you for the nomination nod, Larry. Obviously I would absolutely LOVE for Elitist Book Reviews just to be nominated for the Hugo this year. We deserve it, and we want to help even more people find the best books across all genres to read. …and making heads explode on the snobbish literati is a perk. Some additional suggestions for the voting masses: I think a vote for Brandon Sanderson’s Emperor’s Soul for Best Novella is a worthy vote. It is some of the best writing he has ever done. Jeff Salyards for the John W Campbell award for best… Read more »
steve
steve

Wait, I’d think only one of us has to nominate your site to become “Hugo Nominated”. Doesn’t that mean that for $60, anybody can get their book/website/whatever nominated?

Am I missing something?

steve
steve

Well, Elitist Book Reviews…
Larry and I make two.

I’m just going to hang on and see Larry’s final selections, then probably just echo them all.

That’ll be voting a straight Monster Hunter Party ticket. Because hippies need to cry.

Nick

Yes! Do vote for Jeff Salyards for the John W. Campbell award for best new author! He totally deserves it!

Gray Rinehart

Thanks for the shout-out, Larry! Have a great day,
Gray

L. Britt Ervin

Reblogged this on L. Britt Ervin and commented:
The books I’ve enjoyed reading the most the last couple years were written by Larry Correia.

Jeff Salyards

Thanks for the endorsement, Steve! I think Elitist should garner some nods for sure.

Steve D - Elitist Book Reviews

Thanks Jeff. It doesn’t take too may nominations to get onto the short list for Best Fanzine. I love for it to happen.

steve
steve

Anyone have a clue how to get to all the swag? There were supposed to be a pile of ebooks and such, weren’t there?

I did get my ballot info, though.

Mussorgsky112
Mussorgsky112
Best TV show: Firefly Wait,huh? Whaddaya mean it’s too old. Next you’ll be telling me that I can’t vote for Babylon 5! Yeah, no idea on TV, maybe Walking Dead if that even counts. Film, though, I’m going for Avengers. Hobbit was… dissapointing, Dark Knight Rises wasn’t all that great, and Empire Strikes Back sadly doesn’t count either. And not sure what category it would fall into, but AAL’s new Star One album, “Victims of the Modern Age,” is a positive yes in my nomination. Progressive* metal + classic sci-fi (Planet of the Apes, Clockwork Orange, Matrix, Logan’s Run, and… Read more »
Skip
Skip

There’s not really a ‘Best TV’ category. Just shorter than 60 minutes or longer, I think. Mark Reads Shadow War of the Night Dragons will be getting my nomination, because there’s one thing we have to do, which is not take all this seriously.

whit Williams
whit Williams

For short stories The Age of the Warrior, and for related works The Book of Knives. Both by Hank Reinhardt

Jeff Jones
Jeff Jones

I’ll be going with Walking Dead for short drama I think. I’m not sure on semiprozine or some of the others, I’m not keyed in enough to every category

Steve D - Elitist Book Reviews

Make sure to nominate a specific episode. That’s how it works. My personal fave was “Killer Within” from this last season.

Skip
Skip

You can also nominate the entire season in the long form. If it gets enough to be nominated there they’ll pull the individual episodes out of the short form.

Jeff Jones
Jeff Jones

Yeah I’ve been trying to decide which eligible episode was my favorite. I’m one of the apparent minority that really enjoyed season 2. “Killer Within” is one of my favorites, but I also really enjoyed the Season 2 finale “Beside the Dying Fire” so it’s hard to decide.

Tony Muhlenkamp
Tony Muhlenkamp

Done. Good luck

whit Williams
whit Williams
Ok, I’m nominating Legion for the puppies the children etc. but now I’ve started my own campaign to nominate Hank Reinhardt’s Book Of Knives: A Practical and Illustrated Guide to Knife Fighting . Why? Because I can’t nominate him for 40+ years of bringing live sword demos to science fiction cons. And I can’t nominate him for launching the modern sword industry and thus the WMA movement as well changing the way authors everywhere write about edged weapons. And I can’t nominate him for making Kukri a household word and thus indirectly encouraging Owen Pitt to carry one. Because I… Read more »
Old NFO

My votes are in, FWIW…

trackback

[…] not buy votes or memberships for anyone) and probably felt it would be a bit strange to ask them to nominate someone else. Additionally, he had a theory about the Hugos that he wanted to test — namely that they were […]