Geeky Hobbies: Sunday Afternoon Painting

Last week I posted up the mini I was making for my son. He was very specific on his Iron Kingdoms RPG, so I had to use bits and pieces from 6 different minis, a bunch of Dremeling, and some green stuff, to get it together.  http://larrycorreia.wordpress.com/2013/02/19/sunday-afternoon-painting-and-modeling-wip/

So I painted him today according to my son’s very exacting specifications. (no darker. Make it darker. Make those bits look glowey!)

People have asked me to do step by step pictures before, (probably non-painters who don’t realize that I’m not actually very good relatively speaking) but I did remember to do it this time, mostly because my son was helping me.

First up, primer. I spray prime white, then do a really watery black primer brush coat to see all the details and to shadow the hard to get to bits.

Hutchuck 1

Then the base coat. This is just slapping down some watery coats to block out areas.

Hutchuck 2

Then a little bit of shading up and down. Darker colors in the shadowed areas and a little white or grey mixed in with the base colors on the high spots.

Hutchuck 3

Then more shading and details. Red is weird, because if you shade it up with white it just turns pink and looks weird. So I use red ink on the the recesses to give it some depth, and shade up with greys.

I used bronze metallic paint, but shade it up with metallic silver, the give it some shadow and corrosion effect with a metal wash, and some jade green and torqoise.

Hutchuck 4

Now the details, which means getting out the little tiny brush.

Hutchuck 5

My regular iPhone pictures look like crap, and I tried a light box and my wife’s good camera, but couldn’t figure out the settings. So internet to the rescue, and using some paper towels and a couple of lamps, my iPhone took much better shots.

Hutchuck 6

Here’s the requested spots. Don’t ask me. I’m not 8.

Hutchuck 7

After clear coating with Testor’s dull coat, I threw down some glue on the base and rolled it in static grass. So that’s it.

Since my improvised paper towel light box seemed to be working well, I took a couple of photos of other minis I’d painted which I’d only gotten really crappy pictures of before.

Stannis front

Stannis Brocker

Stannis back

Halberdiers (that I replaced their heads with conquistators)

Halbies

EDIT: my next conversion projects

conversion wip

Follow

Get every new post delivered to your Inbox.

Join 8,510 other followers