Geeky Hobbies: My Warmachine Army

So now for something a little lighter. As long as I get about 10,000 words written per week, I allow myself Sunday after church as Correia Family Craft Time. Which means me and the kids paint minis. Or they paint for fifteen minutes, and then get bored and wander off, and I keep painting at the kitchen table, streaming Burn Notice in the background, or hey, new Mythbusters comes on Sunday. :) Mini painting is what I do to shut my brain down and destress.

But anyways, a year ago I got into painting miniatures, mostly samurai for the Legend of the Five Rings game that I was playing with my kids. Then Howard Tayler and Dan Wells introduced me to the game Warmachine. So then it gave me an excuse to paint little dudes, and then make them fight other little dudes! And if you like tabletop gaming, I recommend trying Warmachine. Think steam punk robot vs magic monster armies fighting. Sort of like chess, on speed, only if you could change out the different pieces, and give the chess pieces magic powers,and then throw some dice in for random chance. Very fun game.

This is my Mercenary army so far. I went for a sort of conquistador vibe. (hey, I’m Portuguese, just can’t help myself).  This is only about a third of the models that I’ve picked up for it though. By the time I get done it is going to be fairly ridiculous.

19 Comments on "Geeky Hobbies: My Warmachine Army"

LepusKhan

and then come the gaming tables and terrain…

I like. I need to get a picture up on my blog of all the ones I’ve painted so far (since YOU got me going).

tuco

Looks good. Are you going to pick up the Merc Colossal?

Cathy

Now you just need a little Makato to lead them.

I admire your patience painting your army after you assembled them. Me, I will leave them unpainted or have someone paint those little critters for me.

avandira

[quote]”By the time I get done, it is going to be fairly ridiculous.”[unquote]
Like there are hobbies this doesn’t apply too :-)
But, looks good Larry. I like it.

Luke Law

Larry,
I love your work, some of the best engrossing fiction since John Ringo distorted reality. I have make a short comment about your post to that union/Obama suppoter – I immediately thought of Bob Heinleins “Starship Troopers”
Maybe a vote should be something Earned through Service. No professional Politicians need apply. Voting should not be Right but Earned. Never by money but by Blood, Sweat and Toil (nod to Churchill)
As long as parasites can vote the system will be flawed. I cannot see the Union standing.
The thing that scares me the most is that my Son is the Australian Army. Australia at the moment is controlled by a Socialist Athiest Green Woman who stole power after another man was elected Prime Minister. I say this as She, PM Gilliard is UN Lackey and I do not want to see my Son fighting Patriots on behalf of the UN.
By the way I love MHI and The Grimnoir series. Thank you for the hours of escapism that you have given my wife and I.
God Bless Brother Larry.

nice!!! paint job. dig the books.

Sweet army there, Larry. I used to run a rather large Cygnar army, but 3 kids and a long commute meant one of my hobbies had to go, and it was WarMachine or guns. I kept the guns – I loved my warjacks but they weren’t going to do me much good if a guy in a ski mask came through the window at 1 AM.

Scott

Hammersmith in a tube sock. Worked pretty well for rules-lawyers, no reason why it wouldn’t work for uninvited guests.

Dear Mr. Correia,
I am an aspiring author, and I like your blog. Also, I am going to read the Grimnoir series, as soon as Hard Magic comes to my library. (I have it on request.) Also, I like Mythbusters. I am going to subscribe to your blog. I just have one question: What is steam-punk? I have been trying to come up with a consise definition, but it is not working.
Sincerely,
Zarion Kreena

LepusKhan

“Steampunk is a sub-genre of science fiction that typically features steam-powered machinery especially in a setting inspired by industrialized Western civilization during the 19th century, or a post apocalyptic environment.”
(that’s about as concise as you’re going to find) :D

Dear Mr. Correia,
Thank you.
Sincerely,
Zach Krishef

Can you do a spot on my
taped radio show?

The readers love you.

Can I just glue some spikes’n’shit on my Battletech stuff and pretend?

MJE
1 year 6 months ago

When will you get your first 3d printer. Make your whole unit or interesting components!