Congratulations, Obama voters

Bread and Circuses’ is the cancer of democracy, the fatal disease for which there is no cure. Democracy often works beautifully at first. But once a state extends the franchise to every warm body, be he producer or parasite, that day marks the beginning of the end of the state. For when the plebs discover that they can vote themselves bread and circuses without limit and that the productive members of the body politic cannot stop them, they will do so, until the state bleeds to death, or in its weakened condition the state succumbs to an invader—the barbarians enter Rome.” – Robert Heinlein

Congratulations, Obama voters.

So it is done. My prediction was way off. That is what I get for overestimating Americans and their desire for free stuff and an all powerful government that can meet all of their wants. So congratulations. This time we can’t blame it on Obama being an empty slate to be filled with all your hopes and dreams. You treated a job interview like a popularity contest. This time you know exactly what you are asking for, and I’m sure you’ll get it.

Sure, we’re broke, and will be getting broker, but that’s cool. You said that our kids and grandkids can figure out how to pay our bill. You kicked the can down the road. You decided if we just tax the productive a bunch more, everything will be swell. Math be damned. Less people will pull the cart and more people can ride in it, and you can continue to bitch about the greed of the people pulling and somehow assume that the cart will just keep on rolling. We don’t need budgets, and all of these social programs you are so fond of will somehow stay solvent.

Even as you can watch Europe with your own eyes, and see where this sort of benevolent socialism will eventually lead us, you go happily onward into a debt crisis. Only there is nobody to bail us out, so I’m sure that will work out awesome.

You said you wanted your government controlled healthcare, so it will stay. Sure, now that we’ve seen what is actually in it, and everybody that has to work with the thing agrees that it is an absolute job killer, it is costing us a lot more than expected, and doesn’t do much of what was advertised, but facts don’t matter, just good intentions. Working 30 hours a week instead of 40 will become the new normal.

The media will continue to not do its job, and will keep on ignoring all the scandals and law breaking from the democrats. Fast and Furious? What Fast & Furious? NBC gave it all of 8 seconds of coverage. Benghazi? Nothing to see there. Move along. Anybody who does report about stuff which falls outside of your approved narrative can safely be dismissed as a crank.

For all the ultra lefties, Obama will continue to do all of the stuff you bitched about George Bush doing, drone strikes, imprisoning people without trial, only far more. But somehow it is okay when he does it. You just said so.  For you guys, just remember, at least if there was a republican in office, the media would actually report this sort of thing. So have fun with that.

Overall, the red states got redder, and the blue states got bluer, and big urban areas won the swing states. We’re living in a country with irreconcilable differences and two competing philosophies that literally have no middle ground. One side wants a smaller government and wants to be left alone, the other side wants a bigger government that can do everything. Compromise inevitably means we’ll make government bigger, just not as big as the left wants. Repeat. Repeat. Repeat. And the red states keep getting redder and angrier, and the blue states keep getting bluer and angrier, and America as a whole gets poorer and weaker.

So to close, congratulations, Obama voters. I’m sure this will work out great for you. When we revisit this in a few years and everything is limping along, broken, tired, poorer, and somehow less than we could be, I’m sure it will still be someone else’s fault, and you’ll vote again for whoever promises to pay for your good time.

Christmas Anthology from Baen
I'm up for another prestigious award (I think)

206 Comments on "Congratulations, Obama voters"

Graham Bradley
4 years 1 month ago

I dare anyone to say in 4 years that anything wrong is still Bush’s fault.

Eric Rex Petersen
4 years 1 month ago

All I can do is sigh. It’s what I expected and Larry summed up my thoughts nicely. 4 Years from now we’ll have another shot, the other side will still be blaming Bush as well. Anyway, time to go deal with the gloating sore winners and look aide drinkers. Ever forward people. Next time we’ll bring a ground game.

~Rex

Keith Glass
4 years 29 days ago
No, we won’t have another shot. There are already reports coming in from Colorado and Virginia, of people showing up at the polls, and being turned away because someone else voted for them. Given the administration’s record on investigating and prosecuting election fraud (which they claim doesn’t even exist. . .), they know they would get away with it. And now, they HAVE to keep getting away with it, because they KNOW they’d be investigated and prosecuted if the other party gets into power. Thus, they can’t let that happen. Welcome to Venezuela North. Because the Republic is dead. .… Read more »
4 years 27 days ago
@Keith Glass I’d only heard of someone in Wisconsin saying they were told they already voted via mail in ballot, the other states are a surprise to me. My head has been buried in a text book. I knew this rash of tons of early voting was a bad idea. Goes back to the Chicago way of “Vote Early Vote Often”. Voting early is only for if you’re going to be out of town, or injured/I’ll. Not even for if you’re going to be working because most States require workers to be allowed to get off work 2 hours early… Read more »
Papa Spanky
Papa Spanky
4 years 1 month ago

No one will be able to say that, because that “darned free speech” will be long gone by then.

Raptor
4 years 1 month ago

Oh they will, Graham. Don’t you worry.

NKR
NKR
4 years 1 month ago

Sad to say, I agree with you. They reiterated last night that it was Bush’s fault. There are people blaming Bush for Libya. Libya!! Where he had the dictator eating out of the US’s hand and Obama overthrew the guy, thereby guaranteeing we will never have any power in the region again.

I’ve seen people blame Bush for Benghazi. The electorate is unbelievably stupid. I have nothing in common with these people.

Claire
Claire
4 years 1 month ago

Well said, Larry. Thank you for putting it in such simple language so when I share this my friends who voted Obama will be able to understand its message.

Michael Z. Williamson
4 years 1 month ago

If Republicans want left alone, why do they keep proposing policies that don’t leave people alone?

They earned this loss, and will continue to lose until they drop the positions the majority of Americans oppose.

Most Americans still oppose 0-care. But they oppose religion in politics more.

NKR
NKR
4 years 1 month ago
Sorry, Michael, that wasn’t Romney who made any religious pronouncements. That was a strawmen built by the media in conjunction with the Democrats. A total con. Romney has a proven record of not governing via religion. He never talked about it. Obama, on the other hand, told his audiences that his policies were grounded in scripture. Just like George W. Bush was considered a theocrat when all he did was be openly Christian, whereas Clinton had multiple photo ops with a 95 lb. bible and prayed openly on TV, somehow the press manages to paint a picture and the gullible… Read more »
Divemedic
Divemedic
4 years 1 month ago

I disagree. The Republicans are being beaten by two things: abortion, and gay rights. Until they figure out that these two issues are losing them quite a few votes, they will continue to get beaten.
To undecided voters, Republicans are synonymous with gay bashing and anti-abortion. The Republicans must find a way to come to terms with this, or they will continue to be marginalized. Perhaps they should adopt as a part of the national platform that those two issues are properly left to each state to decide.

ppaulshoward
ppaulshoward
4 years 1 month ago

Oh yes, those women-hating, gay hating Republicians. Sorry nothing we’d do besides 100% surrendering would prevent the Left for spreading such lies.

Divemedic
Divemedic
4 years 1 month ago
@ppaulshoward: I don’t see how the Republicans can claim to be the champions of small, limited government while telling people how to run their lives and who they may marry. This is why the gay marriage issue is a loser. As far as abortion goes, it is not ever going to be illegal in this country. So the Republicans can either drop that as a part of the platform, or they can continue to lose races. Obama won by 3 million votes. Advocating true limited government by leaving marriage and abortion to the states may have closed that gap. It… Read more »
dand66
dand66
4 years 1 month ago

@Divemedic You’re right to a point. TALKING about abortion is a no-win situation for Republicans. They have to avoid it at all costs.

As for the rest, here in Massachusetts an openly gay, married, pro-choice Republican (Richard Tisei) couldn’t beat a Democrat incumbent who’s wife was convicted of laundering money for her criminal brothers (John Tierney). If the moonbats here wouldn’t elect Tisei, the won’t elect ANY Republican for any reason. They even got rid of Scott Brown because they thought he was too far right!

Rick Randall
4 years 25 days ago
ILove the way people always forget that TSA was DEMANDED by the Democrats (“You can’t professionalize unless you federalize!”), and GWB got the Republicans to go along with it in a show of bipartisanship. Likewise, the Clinton Administration position was that Saddam needed to go, that Saddam supported terrorism, and that Saddam possessed weapons of mass destruction. The Democrats hated the Patriot Act so much that they voted to extend it. The Democrats insisted on the TARP program, but then made sure it wouldn’t actually be used on the core issue, and that conservative Republican ideas were rejected out of… Read more »
Rick Randall
4 years 25 days ago

Yes, TWO years — he had to finish detoxing before the clock started. “Still drunk” isn’t “not drinking”. ;-P

Adampm
Adampm
4 years 1 month ago

Sadly to keep their ‘base’ happy.

I never thought I would feel this level of disgust for my country. We aren’t perfect but we used to be better than the alternatives. I’ve watched in horror what Obama has done the last 4 years and I shudder to think what the next 4 are going to bring.

ppaulshoward
ppaulshoward
4 years 1 month ago

“Religion In Politics” only means that the News Media and Liberals hate an idea. They are more than willing to force their ideas on the religious and hate the idea that we are citizens/voters.

123@456.com
123@456.com
4 years 29 days ago

Religion is a poison. It should be abolished entirely from the human race.

4 years 27 days ago

Better talk to Mr. Ted Turner of Turner Broadcasting.
He wants to eliminate about 6 billion of the 6.5 billion people on planet Earth. Just check the Georgia guide stones. It’s right there.
I’d call that a poisonous religion.
Or is that just another form of the Progressive Eugenics movement (Religion?)?

joecrouse
joecrouse

Divemedic

Patriot act was written before the Bush administration BY democrats. The Tarp program was Created bipartisan and Obama DIdnt have to sign it into law. The TSA I will grant you is a very republican idea But again democrats went along with it.

NKR
NKR
4 years 1 month ago
*Less people will pull the cart and more people can ride in it, and you can continue to bitch about the greed of the people pulling and somehow assume that the cart will just keep on rolling.* Perfect way to put it, Larry. I’m going to remember that one. Simply put, Obama ran the most vapid, blatantly dishonest campaign I’ve seen in my lifetime against a man who had facts, figures and a proven record of turning things around and the vapid, blatantly dishonest campaign won. We live in Stupidland. I don’t want to talk to anyone who voted for… Read more »
Keith Glass
4 years 29 days ago
TALK to anyone who voted for Obama ? I’ve gone beyond that. Since they chose the Free Stuff over Freedom, I’ve decided that I no longer need to volunteer or donate to charity. Let the all-benevolent Government provide for their needs. And if someone asks for my help, my FIRST question is: who did you vote for. If they didn’t vote, or vote for anyone but Romney, my answer will be the same: you chose Obama, either directly or indirectly. Go ask him for help. Liberals ? They are DEAD to me. I wouldn’t piss on them if they were… Read more »
Antonio Jones
Antonio Jones
4 years 29 days ago

So what you are saying even if we didn’t want to vote for Romney or Obama we were supposed to vote, Romney? Hope its worth getting rid of some good friends that is a little extreme don’t you think?

Keith Glass
4 years 29 days ago
Reality check here: one of two men was going to win the election. Obama or Romney. A vote for anyone but Romney was a de-facto vote for Obama. As for “friends” that I’ve increasingly had less in common with for years and even decades, . . . it’s time to cut all but essential ties. They thought I was a fool and behind the times. I think of them as utterly delusional and as they have embraced the Suck. . . .they are lost to me anyway, beyond redemption. It’s time to salvage what we can, and batten down the… Read more »
Antonio Jones
Antonio Jones
4 years 29 days ago

Ok if that is the case then why even have other people on the ballot?

4 years 28 days ago

And I hope, Keith Glass, that your ban on liberals extends beyond personal relations to work and leisure activities? You’re done forever with liberal authors, liberal movies (Joss Whedon made a video making fun of Romney, so no more Avengers for you!), and liberal clients who want to exchange money for goods and services. Yeah, that’ll show them.

What a great way to convince people–never to talk to them again.

Keith Glass

Benb:

Actually, yes. I’m done supporting Liberal Media, Liberal Stars, Liberal Directors, etc.

I’m voting in the ONLY way that counts anymore: with my wallet.

And by the way, I also state this publicly, using my real name. Where’s the courage to stand by YOUR remarks ???

Hi Keith,
My name here is Benjb. I would’ve thought my name was obvious from that, but if you’re still having trouble: it’s Ben.

Enjoy your new liberal-free life. Have you thought about starting with not talking to obvious liberals online?

4 years 28 days ago
It makes me sad to see people still think in terms of liberal vs conservative. Rep vs Dem. Its really the only reason I wanted Romney to win. So when he continues to bail out banks, trash the constitution, erode your personal freedoms and sell the future (oh think of the children) into debt slavery it would at least be interesting to hear the reasons given by the people who still think there is some difference between Mitt and Obama. You should be careful what you say about Obama, he has the right to kill American citizens on American soil… Read more »
4 years 27 days ago

If I were in a battle ground state I would have voted Romney. I was in California and Obama was alwasye going to win. So I voted for Gary Johnson to help send the message that Liberty is what’s important to me.
If it would have helped though, I would have voted for Romney in a heartbeat.

4 years 27 days ago
The world would be sore for donations if all conservatives stopped donating. While I did consider your recommendation for a second or two I can’t bring myself to punish the needy for the actions of Lib-tards. Conservatives outpace all charitable donations made by Liberals left and right. Not just religious donations, but secular donations such as homeless shelters and free clinics. Conservatives also donate more time, and if Liberal blood donations matched Conservative donations the Red Cross would have 45% more blood. On top of that Liberals donate to the Arts, “save the bees, trees and whales”. While conservatives donate… Read more »
Keith Glass

@ guedenimbo

Ordinarily, I’d agree. But the lower economic classes voted OVERWHELMINGLY for Obama. And so, it’s time for them to learn the classic lesson: Reap what you sow. I will help INDIVIDUALS who I personally find deserving. . . . but in bulk ? Never again. . . .

4 years 26 days ago

I guess it’s different for me simply because I’m still in college. I can’t help anyone in bulk yet, but I can and have volunteered where I can see the direct impact such as at soup kitchens.
I’m still torn on this issue though, lessons need to be learned, but it’s possible for collateral damage.
Who knows maybe if enough people have the mettle to teach the lesson like you it will finally be learned.

Daron Fraley
4 years 1 month ago

Amen brother. I feel like I had a loved one die last night. Freedom has been traded for oppression.

Justin
Justin
4 years 1 month ago

Well, said. You know whatever happens I will survive. I just worry for the folks that don’t have my skill set and that just don’t see what is coming.

PaulB
4 years 1 month ago
Sitting in the wheelhouse of a tugboat this morning, I was chatting with the captain and deckhand as they gave me a ride ashore. The captain noted that he made enough money to be in the upper half of the middle class- even with greater taxes and less freedom he’d be OK for 4 more years, and would probably have to work 27 weeks next year, not the usual 26, but his deckhand, living on a blue-collar salary and working hard for his money, was completely and utterly screwed, and stands no chance of advancing into the middle class if… Read more »
Hardware
Hardware
4 years 1 month ago

Yeah, I remember an America where Idiocracy was a huge, impossible parody.

AdamPM
AdamPM
4 years 1 month ago

I don’t. I thought it was more of a horror/prophecy movie when I watched it.

Though I do have to admit I wasn’t expecting it in my lifetime.

Keith Glass
4 years 29 days ago

Welcome to Obamco, I love you. . . .

4 years 28 days ago

Remember that Idiocracy had two parts: a dumb government that was elected for entertainment value; and a rapacious corporation that advertised a sports drink as a replacement for water. It was more of a “everything sucks” film than “liberal government sucks.”

flyingmike
flyingmike
4 years 28 days ago
Actually, Idiocracy was just one (questionable, but hey, Hollywood) observation – “stupider” people are reproducing vastly more successfully than “smarter” people – which they extrapolated into their governmental, entertainment, and commercial dystopia. If you accept the movie’s underlying assumption that inheritance genetics are the only driver of intelligence, it’s all completely predictive – it’s all down hill from here. benjb, I have a question that would help me as I work through what you are urging here: It appears to me that you are providing advice on what to change to gain success to the “other” side from your center-left… Read more »
4 years 27 days ago
Hi flyingmike, that’s a good question. Honestly, I wouldn’t mind if the current Republican party continued to lose if the Republican coalition stays the way it is–anti-gay, dominated by people who think that enforcing their religious rules on others is cool (as long as those religious rules aren’t the dreaded sharia law), de facto anti-environment and anti-science, etc.) (I don’t want to be overly insulting, so please read an implicit “or so it seems to me” to everything here. I realize just stating my beliefs has a trollish quality that I’m trying to tamp down.) Now, I think the contemporary… Read more »
4 years 27 days ago
Also, flyingmike, I first heard of Larry Correia through a writing-related podcast called Writing Excuses, whose four members Larry is friendly with and where he sometimes guests to discuss his areas of expertise. And he comes off as a funny, smart, entertaining guy. And I’d like to have a political argument with him that didn’t involve what I consider to be conspiracy theories and the angry despair of the conservatives who have decided to give up (or talk about secession). So all my arguments and advice about Republicans facing reality might be seen as aimed at Larry: we’ll probably never… Read more »
Willam
Willam
4 years 1 month ago
I agree on the whole with your post but it doesn’t repeat ad infinitum. The angrier and more intractable the two groups become the closer to the break point we come. We as a nation are speeding toward the cliff, half the nation is yelling look a cliff dead ahead and the other half is yelling shut up the cliff is all a lie. I don’t know how to fix that because everyone seems to get distracted by a side issues that somehow gets related to the main issue as if by magic. I was at dinner with friends when… Read more »
Curlywolf
4 years 1 month ago

William, because the Progressive Propaganda Machine and the dems…won’t LET them see the cliff.

4 years 1 month ago

Both parties are driving us towards the cliff. Check the record of Bush, Romney and the Rep’s Congress. To sit back and blame one party (or the evil media) is easy but its also lazy and wrong

4 years 1 month ago
Hi Larry, I’m not going to argue with you here, because we’re not going to agree. But I would like to ask you what your ideal US would look like. I’m thinking about this because I was struck by a couple of things I noticed on your Twitter: at one moment, you say you don’t like so-called experts–are there some experts that you would listen to? And then at another moment you talk about how you don’t trust the masses. So who do you trust? What would your ideal country look like? If I had to guess, I’m guessing a… Read more »
Doran
Doran
4 years 1 month ago

I’m not Larry, but, let me take a stab at it….A government that only spends money on those things that are explicit in the constitution. Limit the franchise, yeah maybe just those who have served, but not active, at least military folks have shown that they have some skin in the game.

SFC (Ret)
KSCA (Ret)
TDCJ COV (Ret)

4 years 1 month ago

Hi Doran, I’m glad to talk to anyone about this issue on the day after the election.

So in this US where the government only does the constitutional basics (like, “interstate commerce” is a vague phrase, so you want it interpreted as narrowly as possible, right?), what’s the status of gay marriage and drug legalization? Up to the states?

Dave
Dave
4 years 1 month ago

I would limit the franchise to anyone who contributes either through service or just paying some taxes. Net consumer of public money? No vote for you. Don’t take any form of welfare or get a 100% return? You get to vote period. The problem with limiting it to people who have served is what about those of us who wanted and tried to serve but got disqualified medically (discovered I had an autoimmune disease at meps) or whose religion is against it?

Hi Dave,
So if you pay federal taxes, you can vote in the federal election; if you pay state taxes, can you vote in the state elections? And I suppose, for the sake of argument, we’ll eliminate sales tax and payroll taxes.

But iInstead of limiting votes to veterans (for the reasons you mentioned), what if we set up a civilian corps, a sort of industrial army–instead of doing a tour in the army, you could do a tour building roads or doing other necessary work? Would that work for you?

Rick Randall
4 years 25 days ago
Net taxpayer — I don’t care if it’s $20,000,000 per year, or only $1 — unless you pay more in taxes then you receive in UNearned government benefits, no vote for you. Note – salaries paid for employment, even as a government worker, are “earned”. So are pensions paid because of a contractual obligation – if your job contract said “20 years as a cop, firefighter, or servicemember, and you get to retire with a pension,” that is an EARNED benefit. Compensation for injuries done to you or your family by the government, or due to government service, are not… Read more »
Ryan Ballantyne
Ryan Ballantyne
4 years 1 month ago

You know, your guess actually sounds quite nice. And, in fact, it sounds a lot like how things used to be before Congress gained the power to tax the people directly. If we could take our government back to those times (and somehow keep all the progress we’ve made on civil liberties)…

Well. One can dream.

andonsage
andonsage
4 years 1 month ago

Excellent article, Larry. I’ve shared it with all my conservative friends and family.

tuco
tuco
4 years 1 month ago

Larry, considering your background, how deep do you recommend I bury my guns.

That is, if they hadn’t all been lost in a tragic boating accident of course.

4 years 1 month ago
“One side wants a smaller government and wants to be left alone” I don’t think either side has been asking for this. If we want to blame the Obama people for not facing reality, we cant turn around and ignore it our self. Romney (or Bush) have certainly not acted like small government guys. It seems like many people have an image of what they think the R party is etched in their minds even if its not true. Does Romney want smaller government than Obama, sure. But that’s probably why he lost. You just cant energize the base running… Read more »
Dirk
Dirk
4 years 1 month ago

” “One side wants a smaller government and wants to be left alone”

I don’t think either side has been asking for this. If we want to blame the Obama people for not facing reality, we cant turn around and ignore it our self. ”

Neither side was running on this platform…but that’s what I believe most people want. At least, people who have any sense.

Mike
Mike
4 years 1 month ago
Exactly true. During the primaries, everyone spends months complaining about the realities of their own party. During the general election, we ignore them and idealize them. It’s how republicans can still be seen as being for small government, and the democrats for civil rights. When Bush drove up the deficit and proposed a giant bailout, and Obama is putting people in jail for pot and assassinating Americans abroad. Or how Romney can be seen as a successful businessman and not a rich guy riding his daddys’ coattails, and Obama can be seen as a normal minority guy and not a… Read more »
Doran
Doran
4 years 1 month ago

benjb, on November 7, 2012 at 6:20 pm said: (like, “interstate commerce” is a vague phrase, so you want it interpreted as narrowly as possible, right?), what’s the status of gay marriage and drug legalization? Up to the states? Abortion is a closed issue, but, why should I pay for that? again the states.

WendyStewart
WendyStewart
4 years 1 month ago

Doran, you are correct. That is the WHOLE POINT of the 10th Amendment. The powers are enumerated in the Articles and everything else is left to the states and to the people. You’d be surprised how many people absolutely don’t understand that concept.

steve
steve
4 years 1 month ago

Abortion is lefties murdering unborn lefties, and right now, that sounds like a pretty good use for my tax dollars.

Remember, Planned Parenthood was started as a eugenics program to keep the black population in check. Right now, that doesn’t sound so bad either.

Right now, I can think of one woman whom I wish had had access to safe, taxpayer funded abortion about 48 years ago. Sure as hell would have cost less than $6,000 billion.

For every Beethoven or Einstein we abort, we lose a dozen Ted Bundies, and a million Obama phone customers. I’lll take the trade.

4 years 1 month ago

Have you ever thought of running for government? I think you’d make a pretty good Republican spokesman.

ronm0817
4 years 1 month ago
A very well reasoned and compelling argument. I totally agree Planned Parenthood was a plot by Margret Sanger to keep the black population in check and it is sort of working. I agree with the notion that abortion murders just the right slice of the demographic. “Lefties killing lefties” wow what a great concept; and, it saves so much money in potential welfare checks and food stamps , money we do not have to borrow from the Chinese. The only sadness is the lack of moral back bone of the American Woman who has now bowed to the siren call… Read more »
4 years 1 month ago

Just to remind everyone that the typical female who gets an abortion is white, middle class, and is getting an abortion as a prophylaxis. So the argument for abortion rights falls flat.
So just ask them to ask this question: “At what point it is NOT a baby and can be killed?”

4 years 1 month ago

There was an interesting hypothesis by the guys at Freakonmics and how legalized abortion had a large impact on crime statistics. Here is a link but the interview was better if you want to look for it.

Nightcrawler

Amen!

HalfHorse
HalfHorse
4 years 1 month ago

From working in IT sometimes… you have to let a system fail before people realize it needs to be replaced, rebuilt and rebooted. At this point I am ready to cross my arms and just go with the system. Let the people have what they want for now and let it crash. Sooner it does the sooner we rebuild. On a personal note working in healthcare now we are worried. Its clear we are going to lose money under Obamacare. When the cuts come its not to the doctors, CEOs and the like. Its to us workers down stream.

steve
steve
4 years 1 month ago

Don’t worry, you aren’t the only one letting the system fail. Study Alinsky. Overloading the system until it fails so you can rebuild it is the plan we’ve been on for the last 4 years.

You don’t seriously think he planned to make the country prosperous before his fundamental transformation, do you?

And the doctors and CEO’s absolutely will share the cuts, big time. It won’t ruin them, because they probably have more assets right now, but they won’t be laughing and happy unless they’re with the ruling party.

HalfHorse
HalfHorse
4 years 1 month ago
It is the same with any corp. the people in power are not going to take the cuts at least at first. Its the rest of us down the line that do. Sadly in any corporation the first to go are usually the IT staff… I have been downsized and outsourced too many times. As for a failure of the system. I think the left is working twords that to rebuild it in their image. I just wonder if it is past time to do anything about it or do we let it fail then fight it out over who… Read more »
Mark P
Mark P
4 years 1 month ago

It’s interesting listening to the comments made here. The analysis of the results from here accross the pond is that Romney lost because he mainly appeals to the white middle classes, whereas Obama appeals to the Black, Hispanic and Latino communities which together have the larger alectorate. As the latter groups are proportionaly increasing at the moment and apparently into the future the prospects for Romney et al don’t appear to rosy.

Mike
Mike
4 years 1 month ago

All the minorities don’t matter half as much as the fact he won white women by 18 points.

Demosthenes Locke
Demosthenes Locke
4 years 1 month ago
I’m reminded of a story. About a man who wanted to visit a monastery on the top of a tall, snowy mountain in the fastness of Tibet. He found a guide to take him, who smiled and nodded and started loading up a huge sled with gear and provisions. There was a huge pavilion for the man to rest in, fluffy and warm comforters, deep pillows, large boxes of tea and tubs of butter (for they like their tea with butter in the mountains of Tibet, you see), bags of charcoal and iron braziers to keep them warm at night,… Read more »
tuco
tuco
4 years 28 days ago

And then they went down to Whoville to steal Christmas. I’ve heard that story, too.

Rick Randall
4 years 25 days ago

Now there’s a song going through my head:

“I don’t wanna go to war today, but the man with the whip say, ‘Hey, hey, hey!'”

“Where there’s a whip, there’s a way!”

LepusKhan
LepusKhan

LOTR FTW (LOL) Now I’m going to have that stuck in my head all day.. thanks 😛

George
George
4 years 1 month ago
The Republicans, imo, did not lose because more people want to feed at the trough than want to fill it. They did not lose because of healthcare. They did not lose because of economic issues. The Republicans lost this election on social issues, imo. They lost because gay rights are fast becoming a major issue. They lost because they have people like Akin saying that women can just shut off pregnancy in legitimate rape, and Mourdock basically saying “If a women is pregnant through rape, God wanted it that way and we should just let it be.” They lost because… Read more »
Mike
Mike
4 years 1 month ago

Exactly. Republicans need to stop trying to legislate people to agree with them on social issues and start trying to convince them.

Of course, I feel the same about Democrats and some of their “choose between condoms and food” bullcrap.

Bryan
Bryan
4 years 1 month ago

What in blazes are you talking about, George? Gay rights?!? Yeah, because those 30 states that voted to ban gay marriage just don’t matter any more now that MA and MD are on board? Force religious beliefs?!? Yeah, because overturning the worst legal decision in American history was a prime piece of the campaign. Rights?!? Were you in America at any point in this campaign?

perlhaqr
perlhaqr
4 years 1 month ago

No, honestly, they don’t matter. I don’t care what percentage of the population wants to discriminate against another segment of the population. It is the obligation of the government to treat all of its citizens equally. If they grant a set of privileges to people for getting married, they must grant that set of privileges to all citizens.

And no, saying “Gay men can marry women the same as straight men can” does not count as equality any more than saying “everyone has the right to attend Catholic Mass” does.

Cap'n Jan
Cap'n Jan
4 years 29 days ago
Forgot one comment: The government needs to get OUT of the marriage business ( the larger issue is to stop meddling in what should be private affairs). OUT of marriage. Contracts would do a better job of protecting children. Marriage, in almost all churches, is a sacrament. I consider my marriage sacred, and would whether the government sanctioned it or not. People want to get married, go get married, but don’t, for all that is rational, want to have the government involved. It is already a mare’s nest. I can hear the screaming and shrieking now “But the CHILLDRUUUUUN!!!”. See… Read more »
LepusKhan
LepusKhan
4 years 1 month ago

The Democrats learned that gun control is a third rail issue and now take pains to steer well away. When are the Republicans going to learn that gay marriage and abortions are the same way- it doesn’t change anyone’s opinions and only costs them votes?

4 years 1 month ago
I take insult to the way you and others keep misquoting, and taking out of context, Mr. Mourdock’s statement. Get it right! HE never said anything about the RAPE being God’s will! The life that occurred was God’s will and we shouldn’t blame the BABY! Get your facts straight! And as far as gay rights go, what is it that is so all fired important that we are forced to recognize Gay marriage? They have the same rights as everyone else has! They have civil unions recognized by many states! Domestic partnerships recognized through their companies! Marriage is an institution… Read more »
perlhaqr
perlhaqr
4 years 1 month ago

Marriage is an institution founded by God and the Church for petesakes!

Which God, and which Church are you referring to, I wonder. And likewise, what possible bearing on the actions of a secular government should that genesis have anyway?

4 years 29 days ago
To be honest you might actually ask, “Why Marriage?”. It’s not like people don’t live together until they die. Some do, some don’t. But “WHY?” is the question. Why do gays HAVE to have marriage? As for the God you asked about we are talking about the fact that marriage has always been recognized as a religious union between a man and a woman. To propagate children as a result. For what is know as a traditional family. And government should have NO bearing on marriage. That is the point. The wall of separation between religion and government is a… Read more »
4 years 29 days ago
“Why do gays HAVE to have marriage?” Uh, for the tax breaks. For the hospital visitation rights. For the countless SECULAR issues that marriage makes easier. “As for the God you asked about we are talking about the fact that marriage has always been recognized as a religious union between a man and a woman.” You might want to read the Bible, especially the parts where people keep taking multiple wives–especially the parts where God sanctioned that marriage. I think every church has the right to say “No” to marriage equality and not to hold religious ceremonies affirming those marriages.… Read more »
4 years 28 days ago
(Uh, for the tax breaks.) Like I said…Gov should treat everyone equally in all regards. Blame your congress on the tax breaks. Hmm…maybe it’s because you are supposed to have and support the ‘Children’ cause it’s for the ‘Children’s’ sake. Cause those tax breaks disappear after they turn 17 and/or leave the house. That small pittance they give you applies to the overall deduction to your income. Blind and/or disabled people get better deductions I believe. (For the hospital visitation rights.) HIPAA! Ever heard of it? Even spouses have to be authorized by the other spouse to visit or know… Read more »
4 years 28 days ago
Like you said, we’re just going to have to disagree, Ray. I mean, I could point out that your argument re: the Bible doesn’t hold up. (Many people in the OT had multiple wives and did very well.) I could point out that “well, it was okay in that culture” doesn’t make sense as an argument since it’s clearly becoming more okay in our culture. But we’re never going to agree, and I’m going to have to take solace in the fact that young people more and more find the idea of marriage equality perfectly appropriate; and that it will… Read more »
4 years 27 days ago

Thank you for your candor and viewpoints.
However I believe our youth are seeing things in a different way.
Look forward to the future.

perlhaqr
4 years 27 days ago
No, I think that honesty requires me to stick with “which God and which Church” since “marriage”, as a concept, has existed amongest the Chinese since roughly 2900 BC, which predates the genesis of Judaisim by a minimum of 1500 years. But the Caananites and Zoroastrianism aside, let me address your claim that As for the God you asked about we are talking about the fact that marriage has always been recognized as a religious union between a man and a woman. which is, blatantly, false. The Romans, Catholics, and Navajo have, at time ranging from before the birth of… Read more »
4 years 27 days ago
perlhaqr, I am not going to insult your intelligence by assuming you actually believe what you just tried to say. Your rant was all over the place, and the hate you have against me is insane. I don’t think you actually know or can conceive of what a bigot is. My kind was pissed upon at one point. So let’s not play that game. You have lost there. Get one thing clear. I do not hate gays. I disagree with gay marriage. It’s my belief that it is wrong. That’s all. I know and have bi/gay friends and co-workers. We… Read more »
perlhaqr
4 years 27 days ago
I am not going to insult your intelligence by assuming you actually believe what you just tried to say. Oh, you might as well, there’s nothing I said that I’d retract. Your rant was all over the place Of course it was. I had to correct the broken off fire hydrant of misinformation you threw out. It took a lot of jumping around to point out all of your factual inaccuracies. and the hate you have against me is insane. Hate? Nah, I think you’re so blinded by your position in the mainstream, majority culture that you can’t see how… Read more »
4 years 26 days ago
Well, perlhaqr. You are probably the most confusing person I have yet to run into. Perhaps I am looking at things differently and from a perspective you seem to be missing. From what I am reading you have stated that I seem to believe your marriage is invalid, that to you I am some Jew and Black hating bigot that wishes to force all gays into second class citizen status, and that religious belief has nothing to do with marriage between different or same sexes. But that is just from what I am reading here and there. You are wrong… Read more »
4 years 26 days ago
A few last points. In all of us there is a paradigm. So when you said ‘Fuck you…” My paradigm took that as a personal threat and an attack. Maybe I was just imagining the threat, so forgive me if I assumed. As far as bigotry goes, I am assuming again you do not understand that there has been bigotry on many people throughout history. But your references to me being so wrong on so many of my statements, that I now have to assume that you are 100% correct, and that I know nothing at all about what I… Read more »
Rick Randall

Perlhaqr:

Cite please. For MATRIMONY.

Especially the Catholic Church.

Rick Randall
4 years 25 days ago

Left the quotation marks out:

Perlhaqr:

“The Romans, Catholics, and Navajo have, at time ranging from before the birth of Christ until roughly now have each recognized and legitimised homosexual matrimony.”

Cite please. For MATRIMONY.

Especially the Catholic Church.

perlhaqr
4 years 25 days ago
Well, perlhaqr. You are probably the most confusing person I have yet to run into. That would not particularly surprise me. The number of people I know with my particular dedication to maximum liberty for each individual is depressingly small. Perhaps I am looking at things differently and from a perspective you seem to be missing. This also seems likely. From what I am reading you have stated that I seem to believe your marriage is invalid You said: As for the God you asked about we are talking about the fact that marriage has always been recognized as a… Read more »
4 years 25 days ago
I think, perlhaqr. Perhaps we shall not see eye to eye even though we seem to agree government should stay out of the marriage business. My depth of meaning in my replies to you has totally failed so perhaps I should use small words, so as a child like intellect may understand the meaning of context clearly. There I go using $2 words again. Please forgive me. I am done with you. Live your government depending life well. As far as being a minister? In my opinion you should look a little more at the books of Timothy. Perhaps a… Read more »
perlhaqr
4 years 25 days ago
Rick Randall: Given your highlighting of the word “matrimony”, I presume you’re going to be sticky about the Latin. In which case, pretty much all I can say is “you got me”. “Matrimonium”, in the Latin, has “mater” as the root, implying a relationship for the purposes of procreation (and thus, inheritance). When the Romans formed permanent same-sex relationships, they used the verb “nubere” (to marry), to describe the proceedings, but obviously not “matrimonium”. The Catholic Church almost certainly did not use the term “matrimonium” either, given that they were pretty serious about their Latin. The Navajo obviously didn’t use… Read more »
4 years 25 days ago
@Ray McCune I like your 3 jobs of the government, but I would rephrase “capture and punish criminals” to “make criminals repay their victims”. I’m all for bringing back the cheap labor of the chain gang and work camps. Imagine the savings of having inmates work on infrastructure and have them earn a small amount of money 55% of which goes back to the victims. Some might argue that this could put the road work contractors out of business, but so what? It’s the job of the government to get things done as cheaply as possible not to insure certain… Read more »
4 years 25 days ago

You, Sir. Have a good point.

4 years 24 days ago
Thanks, I’m known to have a point or two. I blame my many concussions 🙂 seems to have knocked some sense into me. I actually have an entire rant on how to reform the Department of Corrections and actually make many if not most prisons self sufficient in terms of budget if not make a profit for the States and Federal government. All while training up the prisoners so they can reenter society with skills that will make them less likely to be repeat offenders(partially because they will be made to work so hard in prison they don’t want to… Read more »
4 years 24 days ago

I look forward to it.

perlhaqr
4 years 19 days ago

Larry: Thanks for the kind words. Coming from you, that really means a lot. 🙂

Rick: It turns out my source regarding “Gay marriage in the Catholic Church in the middle ages” is, well, considered rather more academically dubious than I was previously aware. After further research into the pro and con position, I retract my statement on the subject.

4 years 16 days ago

And what about that sit down with a grande latte cappuccino?

AJ VanOrden
4 years 1 month ago

As always, I agree with every word. I only wish more people did.

Enrique Cuadros
Enrique Cuadros
4 years 1 month ago

I’m a lefty, but not an Obama supporter. Regardless, I think Larry is a fantastic writer and I have purchased all his books.

ronm0817
4 years 1 month ago

Well that’s a damn good thing; Enrique! There is hope for you to then slide to the right. Next Step trying thinking about the affect of taxation on American Business considering that even the Lefty European Countries have lower corporate taxes. Then next think about liberty and freedom before nanny state cradle to grave subsidy. Then you’re on the way to being a “Righty”. By the way what makes you a Lefty in any case?

Enrique Cuadros
Enrique Cuadros
4 years 29 days ago

My work with the unions and seeing the little guy get screwed countless times by corporate management. Seeing them lie about a good worker killed on the job due to their negligence was the icing on the cake for me that they don’t care about anything except their profits.

4 years 27 days ago
Enrique for every business screwed over the little guy there are just as many stories where the union not only screwed over the company but broke the law too. Ma(as a union steward) was forced to represent a fellow union member for forging Doctors signatures. There was an issue where the doctor would write the Rx on the wrong form and sometimes the wrong quantity. To have them rewrite it would take forever and the receptionist would get yelled at. So the receptionist(basically a cashier with no medical training) would rewrite the Rx and forge the signatures. She was finally… Read more »
4 years 27 days ago
On top of that! Unions are technically illegal. The Sherman Anti-Trust laws define any Trust/monopoly as any organization or collective that can stop the flow of good, production, distribution to the public, negatively affect the final price for the consumer, effect the public welfare etc… By the most strict definition Unions are Trusts/Monopolies. Every strike that delays the delivery of goods to the local market, every “blue flu” that keeps cops off the streets, all of it affects the price and the welfare/safety of the populous. Heck event the most conservative Union would still violate the laws as the collective… Read more »
Divemedic
Divemedic
4 years 27 days ago

Unions, IMO are doing exactly what Corporations are doing. They are buying politicians in order to tip the scales in their direction. I say that both have grown too powerful.

4 years 27 days ago

Unions have grown far more powerful than Corporations. I agree both should be stopped from donating to election funds. Unions are still the most dangerous because they hide under the claim of “serving the public good” BS they just serve themselves. At least Corporations say they are for their own benefit.
I can deal with a cutthroat I can expect them to go after my throat and block them, but a hypocrite, they will stab you in the back and then blame you for getting blood on their lapels all while feigning ignorance at your injury.

chief45
4 years 1 month ago
People claim that the Republicans are / were, forcing their religious beliefs on people. Yet never a complaint about the “religious” beliefs of the Democrats, the left. I would willingly support a religious right, who might preach at me, but will not attempt to force me to do or say what he wants, as compared to the “religious left” who are all to willing to do so. I’ll deal with the simply greedy, the dishonest, the thieves and liars, I deal with them every day. Those just in it for themselves will abandon ship once it sinks, once they can’t… Read more »
ronm0817
4 years 1 month ago
Damn good insight Chief. You are absolutely right about the true Blue State Believers and their next step of founding a Federal Security Force (Obama’s initial idea) to invoke power over the Red states. read Thomas Kratman’s; “A State of Disobedience” for a peek at the future. Liberal Democrats cannot abide liberty anywhere so they will in the next 4 years make a determined effort to strike fear into the hearts of the Red States. Here’s hoping for a good ole revolution and Texas Secession soon. Freedom Now! Going our own way our own masters. Down with the Liberal Progressive… Read more »
Rich Ware
4 years 1 month ago
The numbers of people were very close, (aside from the Democrats who voted four times and tweeted about it, and got away with it), close enough to be scary. It was not only Trump that mentioned revolution, and I’ve seen talk about succession. I would not be surprised if we are heading for a very real, modern-day Civil War. Ironically, it’ll be economists and gun-toters against homosexuals, minority racists and radical women’s libbers. A humongous wedge has been driven between a nearly-equal amount of Americans, and there is a very real enmity growing between the groups via “the popular kids’… Read more »
musashi
musashi
4 years 1 month ago

America gets the president it deserves. And if we are dumb enough to elect someone with a four year track record of failure, then thats what we get. Im not angry, just really dissapointed. Excelent article Larry. Keep fighting the good fight.

monkeyfan
monkeyfan
4 years 26 days ago

America gets the president they deserve.
FTFY

Celtic Dragon
Celtic Dragon
4 years 1 month ago

So sorry Mr. Franklin, we couldn’t keep it. The experiment is over, more Americans voted for bread and circuses than independance. Good luck subjects, hope your chains are padded. Me, I’m for a free and independant Texas…

ronm0817

Kudos to the Celtic Dragon:

Raise the Bonnie Blue Flag and Remember that Mexico’s Taxation and Tyranny was actually less pervasive than the current Federal Government’s actions. Liberal Progressives are the new Hidalgo invaders with Generalissimo Santa Anna Hussein Obama leading the troops. Read Kratman’s “State of Disobedience”

Long Live Texas and Texas Secession

Now is the time to rally the Patriots of Washington County

Nick
4 years 1 month ago
I think others who have posted regarding gay rights are correct. Abortion is a different thing, because for those against it, it’s murder–I disagree, but that’s really not the point–so it makes sense, even to independents, to stick on it (although I do think that they’d get more headway if they simultaneously allowed for comprehensive sex ed as a means to reduce unwanted pregnancies). I think the two biggest things that caused problems for the Republicans this time around were: 1. The constant assault on organizations like Planned Parenthood. Sure, PP refers abortion docs, but that’s only a tiny fraction… Read more »
4 years 1 month ago
I don’t know if those two changes would’ve meant a Romney win–let’s not forget that whenever Romney/Ryan were asked about their economic plan, they weaved and dodged like champion prizefighters: “There are loopholes, we’ll tell you about them after the election.” And their “less government spending, bigger navy!” surely didn’t make them seem like super-serious fiscal guys. However, I think the Republicans might have lost the Senate through the constant parade of Republicans falling over themselves in the last few years whenever they talked about women (everything from Limbaugh asking for Sandra Fluke sex tapes to the Akin/Mourdock/etc. “let’s talk… Read more »
Nick
4 years 1 month ago
True, Romney was a pretty crap candidate–which really exemplifies the problem with the Republicans. Jon Huntsman, an intelligent, well-spoken fiscal conservative with business, political,and foreign policy experience was run out of the primaries because the hardcore base didn’t think he was enough of a social conservative. I would have voted for Huntsman despite being fairly liberal, and I’m not the only one I know. So the start of the problem is that the best candidate they could come up with who claimed to hate the gays enough and didn’t have Bachmann-style crazy eyes was Willard. But beyond that, I think… Read more »
4 years 1 month ago

I think you are right but people who still vote or think ANY social issue like gay rights or abortion is a priority are simply arranging deck chairs on the Titanic as it sinks.

The Fed and the Debt should be EVERYONE’S top priority but since neither party cares we are told to argue about Healthcare, Marriage, Illegal Immigration …. ect

As others have said, all these issues should be left to the States and the Federal Government should have nothing/ very little to do with them

Nick
4 years 1 month ago

Yeah, but social issues are the emotional ones for both sides. If the Republicans really wanted to win, they should have refused to bring up social issues at all in the presidential race and stayed on the economic message. But they couldn’t, and that’s why they lost.

Jeremy
Jeremy
4 years 1 month ago

You can’t just ignore social issues when you’re president. It doesn’t work like that, you’re elected to the highest office in the land and you get all the problems that come with that. Why shouldn’t we discuss social issues in a election? That is foolish and naive.

4 years 1 month ago

Jeremy – If you read what I wrote, I was not speaking about the President, I was speaking about us (the Voters)

If a social issue is your top priority then you are being happily mislead.

George
George
4 years 29 days ago
Dismissing it as a ‘social issue’ is to do it an injustice, I believe. This is, after all, their lives that we are speaking of. It’s visitation rights when a loved one is in the hospital. It’s inheritance when they die. It’s power of attorney in the event of a medical emergency. It’s coverage on their insurance, it’s filing a joint tax return, it’s all sorts of important things. To expect people to just ignore all that and vote for somebody who will not just ignore the issue but actively seek to deny them those rights is, well, foolish and… Read more »
Nick
4 years 29 days ago
I don’t mean to say that they should be ignored. But the best thing Romney could have done in response to a question about gay marriage or Planned Parenthood would have been to say “My religious view is that it’s not something I condone; however, we cannot impose our religious views on others in this country, and I feel that [social issue X] is an issue best left for the states and the courts to decide. The economy, however, affects all of us, and that’s why my plan is to [insert economic spiel].” Bam, you’ve cut Obama’s lead among women… Read more »
Rich Ware
4 years 1 month ago

If not for the Media Monster obfuscation of the REAL issues, propaganda, and whitewash of Benghazi and Fast & Furious Romney would have won. Realistically, since when do the media AND comedians avoid the president’s faults?

AdamPM
AdamPM
4 years 1 month ago

Since Obama got elected the first time?

As one of the guys at work says all the time ‘Smoke and Mirrors, that’s all this is’. Keep people distracted while they do the real damage on the sly. Or in Obama’s case the not so sly.

Anybody want to place bets on the cost of electricity and gas by 2016? My bet is gas will be close to $10 a gallon and utility costs will triple. Which of course will require higher welfare. I shudder to think of what food prices are going to be like.

Ole Jade Jaw
Ole Jade Jaw
4 years 1 month ago

So this is how democracy dies?…… With thunderous applause….

Sjonnar
Sjonnar
4 years 1 month ago

the quote is ‘this is how *liberty* dies…’
*democracy* is alive and well: the majority has just voted themselves bread and circuses.

Cap'n Jan
Cap'n Jan
4 years 29 days ago

Good catch Sjonnar – I think we need to be as precise as possible whenever possible in our language:

Thomas Jefferson on Democracy:

“Democracy is nothing more than mob rule, where 51% of the people may take away the rights of the other 49%.”

Precisely correct!

Sjonnar
Sjonnar
4 years 29 days ago

You know, when i posted that response, i spent about twenty minutes tearing my hear out looking for that quote. i couldn’t remember for the life of me who it was that said it. thanks, Cap’n.

Jusuchin (Military Otaku)
4 years 1 month ago

Thoughts exactly. Futile maybe, but still.

Regroup. Reload. Reengage.

Jeremy
Jeremy
4 years 1 month ago
Texas is pretty amusing today, I was gassing up my truck this morning and a few guys going to work were talking about how they should just move to Canada. I couldn’t help but laugh. The amount of cognitive dissonance in the republican party is utterly amusing. I’m socially Liberal (not politically liberal) and fiscally responsible. I could of voted for, a republican candidate, had they not behaved so childishly in the house and been socially regressive.This time around the republican party was socially backwards, and been utterly fiscally irresponsible when Bush was in office The debt ceiling crisis they… Read more »
Sjonnar
Sjonnar

‘…cognitive dissonance…’
‘…fiscally responsible…’
‘ He also has to accept Obamacare…’
‘…COGNITIVE DISSONANCE…’

Jeremy
Jeremy
4 years 1 month ago

Obama has been more fiscally responsible than Bush, and likely Romney as well.Hell he banned the accounting tricks that Bush used to keep the wars off the book, which actually hurt him when you look at deficit numbers.

The reality is if you went back thirty years Obama is a republican not a liberal.

WendyStewart
WendyStewart
4 years 1 month ago
bwaaaaaaahahahaha, are you serious? The Republican platform in 1981, here are the bullet points: “Free Individuals in a Free Society It has long been a fundamental conviction of the Republican Party that government should foster in our society a climate of maximum individual liberty and freedom of choice.” Can you say Obamacare and forced enrollment in health insurance or you get fined? “Taxes Elsewhere in this platform we discuss the benefits, for society as a whole, of reduced taxation, particularly in terms of economic growth. But we believe it is essential to cut personal tax rates out of fairness to… Read more »
Divemedic
Divemedic
4 years 1 month ago
@ Jeremy: “Obama has been more fiscally responsible than Bush” What? The day that Bush took office, we had a national debt of $5.7 trillion. When he left office, the debt was $10.6 trillion. That is an increase of 185% and $4.9 trillion in 8 years. That is an average of 7% increase in the debt per year, or an average of a $613 billion annual deficit. Obama took office at $10.6 trillion, and now has a $16.2 trillion debt, a $5.6 trillion (152%) increase in 3.8 years. That corresponds to an annual average deficit of $1.47 trillion, increasing the… Read more »
peavybob
peavybob
4 years 1 month ago

You know, I find it funny that the Left complains that the right isn’t willing to compromise, when in fact the last time they tried it they were locked out of the room.

Adampm
Adampm
4 years 29 days ago

It’s really easy to get away with fluid facts when the media is providing cover for you.

Sjonnar
Sjonnar
4 years 1 month ago
I’m so disgusted and angry right now that it’s hard to put the feeling into words; i keep wanting to hammer my fists on the keyboard and then beat an Obama voter with my computer, but here goes. It has become apparent that a clear majority of the American people really would rather live as parasites off the productive minority. You hear right-leaning people say it a lot (i’ve said it before, myself), but most of the time it’s just sarcasm: most of us didn’t really believe that it had gotten so bad. I believe it now. In 2008, one… Read more »
Jake
4 years 1 month ago
Mr. Obama sent me a copy of his Plan for Jobs shortly before the election. I couldn’t help but laugh when I paged through it; apparently, his plan is to undo – almost point-for-point – the most notable economic things he’s spent the last four years doing, or at the very least completely reverse certain of his positions. From its table of contents, my comments in [brackets]: -Building an Economy from the Middle Class Out [Maybe. I remember hearing somewhere that they didn’t build that.] -Reviving American Manufacturing [Like Delphi! Oh, wait…] -Energy Made in America [Unless it’s coal, which… Read more »
SPerrin
SPerrin
4 years 1 month ago

Here’s an exchange I had with one of my third grade students today about the election results.

Student: What’s that guy with the R’s name?

Me: You mean Mitt Romney?

Student: (Nods) Romney said he would take our food stamps away. I’m glad Obama won.

Me: (Gape for a few seconds, then walk away, taking deep breaths)

Out of the mouth of babes…a paradigm of Obama voters.

TheRealCBONE
TheRealCBONE
4 years 29 days ago

Way to not educate. You missed an opportunity to educate a scared, misinformed kid about reality (not the same thing as trying to push them to your way of thinking). Don’t bitch when it comes back to bite you.

Cadeyrn
Cadeyrn
4 years 1 month ago
Ron Paul told the Republicans in 2007 that they needed to get back to their roots of limited government, increased fiscal responsibility and free market enterprise. He said we should disengage from draining foreign wars, and get back with the program of defending personal liberties. The Republican establishment mocked him, reviled him and painted him as a lunatic. They refused to espouse any of these virtues – – and promptly lost the election. They blamed the loss on Ron Paul supporters claiming that they could have tipped the balance, to which his supports responded ” Did you ever reach out… Read more »
Jake
4 years 29 days ago
I think I’m beginning to see the problem. So far, Romney would have won, or been a better republican candidate, by being: -More centrist; -More right-wing; -Steadfast on what he believes strongly in; -Willing to give ground on what others consider hopeless issues; -A libertarian. Granted, that’s better than the vitriol I’ve seen on Facebook, where the list includes him being: -A democrat -Beaten by angry mobs -Stabbed among other delights from the ever-classy Left. But still. As for removing ammunition, I think that will have a limited effect at best. Romney was about as personally objectionable as oatmeal, and… Read more »
Eric
Eric
4 years 29 days ago
It’s a campaign – demonization comes standard. After all, per the Romney campaign Obama intends to institute slavery for white males, give most of the country to foreign powers, terrorists, and criminals and let the rest of the country freeze to death while paying a 90% tax rate on no jobs. Being sort of moderate (social liberal/fiscal conservative, figure it averages moderate) I get to listen to the ranting of friends on left and right about BOTH candidates. My strongest suspicion is that, given the current makeup of Congress and the records of both men, if a dimension-hopping historian could… Read more »
Cap'n Jan
Cap'n Jan
4 years 29 days ago
Well put. I was very much hoping that the libertarian party would garner a greater percentage of the vote, but it was less than 2%. Closer to 1% actually. The republicans cannot blame the Tea Party, the Libertarians or anybody else for their loss. People did indeed vote for the lesser of two evils. Particularly after being harangued by both sides that a vote for a third party is a ‘ wasted vote’. Bummer (could)Care(less) is here to stay, like it or not. Just like the TSA, EPA and DEA and ED. It will NEVER go away, it will become… Read more »
Martin
Martin
4 years 29 days ago

Excellent article, I will pass it along to all my friends. I’m not that skilled a writer, so it is great to have an article that so clearly expresses my feelings on this election and the future of America. One little correction, “less people” should probably be “fewer people” since people can be counted. “Less freedom” is correct.

CHo Meir
CHo Meir
4 years 29 days ago
I received this from a friend who was gloating a bit and I can’t substantiate where it came from, but there is a reality in the statement that the Republic party if they want to grow and stay relevant should take to heart. Equal healthcare and pay for women should not be an arguable issue, immigration as the situation stands now for the economy and the reality of its effect on the economy is a winner for Republicans. The Gay couple next door is not trying to recruit your child, his kid is in the same school as yours. Economy,… Read more »
4 years 29 days ago

My grandfather Woodrow had bigger bawls than everyone that ran for the Republican or Libertarian nominations combined.
And he was smarter and wiser as well.
Would have made Reagan look like a school boy compared to his brand of conservatism. And my paw-paw let you know it!
Man I miss that stubborn old man.

trackback

[…] Congratulations, Obama voters (larrycorreia.wordpress.com) […]

4 years 29 days ago
Did you, Larry, really overestimate the American public or did you believe the line that was being sold by Dick Morris, Karl Rove, and other on-air talent at Fox News? I ask only because I suspect you might (MIGHT) get your news primarily from right-leaning news sources, which might have led you to believe that Romney was going to win–and so you might believe the same news sources when they tell you that Benghazi was something worth impeaching Obama over. (Are they still talking about that on Fox News, or did they drop talking about it after the election, almost… Read more »
ronm0817
4 years 29 days ago
Hey benjb do you really enjoy rubbing this in like that. We all watched Fox, and the rest of the News Feeds and no thinking person thought this was a Dick Morris run away. I worried every step of the way and hoped and prayed that America strictly on fiscal and Constitutional issues would have their head pulled out of their hind quarters. Instead women, young people, and Hispanics sold the country down the river based purely on self interest about government checks in the mail , social issues that will not matter a damn in the future, and immigration… Read more »
4 years 29 days ago
Dude, if you think Barack Obama is a socialist, you are part of the Republicans’ problem. Because, amazingly, the rest of the country looks at the guy and doesn’t see it. Feel free to keep telling yourselves all these things–“the people are sheep, the media is in the tank, if only they knew about Benghazi, it’s those irrational women and irresponsible Latinos, why aren’t we talking about his mother’s communist leanings–that’s an impeachable family relationship!”–and everyone who doesn’t already believe won’t be convinced. Here’s the thing, Ronm0817, I don’t want to rub this in your face. I want you to… Read more »
ronm0817
4 years 29 days ago
benjb: He is a Marxist and a a Socialist Governance man. Look up the Cloward -Piven Strategy he sutdied it at Columbia. As are almost all the Democrats in the Blur State Northeast. Romney was not my choice. I do not care about Women’s Plumbing or their Right to Abort. I also do not care if Gay People want to get married or slobber on each other in public. (Very dangerous to do in Texas). Also Hispanics have come over this border for 200 years and back and can work their asses off as well as any white man. Also… Read more »
George
George
4 years 29 days ago

In a very real way, you’re the Democrats’ best friend, because as long as the Republican party keeps catering to your crowd, they’re going to have a very hard time winning over moderate Democrats and independents.

4 years 28 days ago
Ronm0817, You wanted to know why I voted for Barack Hussein Obama? (And also why I voted for Paul Sadler–because, surprise!, I’m in Texas. It’s too bad that Sadler lost, but you win some, you lose some. That’s politics–and any talk of state secession makes the right look like the kid who’s threatening to go home and take his ball with him.) I voted for Obama because his record of governance shows him to be a left-leaning centrist leading a left-leaning centrist party. Did he nationalize the banks when he came into office? Did he nationalize the auto plants and… Read more »
Jake
4 years 28 days ago
Given the amazingly narrow difference in the popular vote, and the dynamics of the party turnouts (dems had something like 14 million fewer than 2008, and repubs were down 3 million), a Romney win wasn’t out of the question. It’s becoming increasingly unclear to me what the Republican base actually is; the consensus here seems to be that at best, it’s in flux. I have a conceptual issue with a lot of the recommendations I’ve heard for what the party should do. If someone thinks a position is important – lower government largesse or a pro-life stance, for instance –… Read more »
4 years 28 days ago
Hi Jake, I agree with you about pandering for votes. The other day, just after seeing Latinos go for Obama in great numbers, Hannity said it’s time to get serious about immigration reform, which to me seemed like ridiculous pandering rather than a change of heart. But that said, because of the two-party system, it seems that both parties are coalitions. We keep talking about what Republicans as a whole believe, but there’s some differences. I mean, there are some people who talk about limited government who really mean it–who don’t want the government getting involved in a woman’s medical… Read more »
4 years 28 days ago

P.S. Another thing is we tend to talk about the D and R parties like they’re not going away, but historically, great upheavals have allowed established parties to reconfigure. Maybe we need that. I keep hoping for a Libertarian-leaning Republican party and a theological-minded American Eagle party or something. (That’s a reference to the RPG Aberrant, but I think it’s a good name.)

P. Smith
P. Smith
4 years 29 days ago
I just want to say bravo. Bravo to all of you, left and right, on this forum. Most of the time when you read comment sections you get a few thoughtful posts before it devolves into personal attacks and ignorant hate speak. I read the post and cringed before viewing the comments. This has been great to read thoughtful comments from both perspectives. Larry, I hope you are wrong about the next four years and this country can put aside this partisan nonsense, but I doubt it. I don’t want to get too “rah, rah go team!”, but until we… Read more »
AdamPM
AdamPM
4 years 28 days ago
The problem comes down to the red/blue divide has nothing in common. The Blue sees the government as an all purpose one size fits all magic wand that can be waved at any problem to fix it. The Red sees the government as a barrier to actual working solutions being implemented and individuals being in the best position to resolve problems. Right now I’m hoping for 4 years of the Republicans glueing their feet to the ground and not moving on any liberal plan that increases the size and scope of the government and the ways it can interfere in… Read more »
4 years 28 days ago
“The Red sees the government as a barrier to actual working solutions being implemented and individuals being in the best position to resolve problems. Right now I’m hoping for 4 years of the Republicans glueing their feet to the ground and not moving on any liberal plan that increases the size and scope of the government and the ways it can interfere in my life” Adam – This is what many people that call themselves republican or conservative believe. But its NOT what the Republican Party believes or how they vote. Your Party left you and me a long time… Read more »
Adampm
Adampm
4 years 28 days ago
Steve, Unfortunately this isn’t news to me. The Republicans haven’t really shown me anything for the last decade or so that indicates they even have a clue or any interest in standing up for the principles they are claiming to promote. Unfortunately the alternative is worse. A squishy Romney on his worst day is a million times better than Obama on hist best. I like a bit of flexibility in leaders. It gives them the ability to adapt to situations instead of blindly sticking to their guns. Plus it takes integrity for a person to stand up and admit ‘I… Read more »
4 years 28 days ago
Adam I never understand this type of response. How is Romney any better than Obama, just because he says a few things you like? Even if he has no plans to do any of them? Romney has a past. His record is clear, he is not a small Gov guy. The WHOLE R vs D is manufactured to keep people like you busy blaming the other team vs focusing on the real culprits. Both parties steal from you, they just use different methods but the end result is the same. Why is it any different if they keep you broke… Read more »
AdamPM
AdamPM
4 years 28 days ago
Steve, Because I at least agreed with some of what Romney said.Because Obama has already proven that he has no intention of keeping any of his promises. Or if he does it ends up a monkey’s paw wish. Because for 4 years I was willing to give Romney the benefit of the doubt that he could do a better job than Obama. If at the end of the 4 years I’d be as willing to kick him to the curb as I am with Obama providing the alternative presented a plausible alternative. I also don’t think Romney would have ordered… Read more »
Heather
Heather
4 years 28 days ago

This was a cold civil war. We were at a crossroads. This election was the great fork in the road. As Lincoln pointed out in his state Senator speech, “We will be all one thing, or another, but we will not go forward so divided.” The other side won. I don’t know what our future holds, but the US of the future will be very different from the US of today.

4 years 28 days ago

Yes, under Obamacare, people with healthcare will not be afraid of leaving their jobs, leading to an entrepreneurial utopia of garage-born start-ups–the next Apple, Microsoft, and Google.

Or maybe that’s not what you meant, Heather?

ronm0817
4 years 28 days ago
I am very certain Heather meant something entirely different from the utopian notion of Obama Care. benjb you just have to be in the warm embrace of the People’s State of Travis County voting for Sadler and all. So by the way at least you have started taking a stand on your beliefs and notion of what needs to be done. Good job. Of course it makes me go for the another shot of Glenlivet and buy more bulk ammunition. Now that we have a confession of living in Texas at least I know you have to face a lot… Read more »
Julaire
Julaire
4 years 28 days ago
I can’t speak for Heather, but as someone with some entrepreneurial ideas, I can tell you exactly why I haven’t left my job to run with any of them, and healthcare hasn’t even been a consideration. I could go out and get my own insurance without Obamacare (I’d have to pay for it, but I could get it, and I’d be willing to pay for it). The reasons why I haven’t can be lumped generally under “I’m fairly risk-averse and the current mood in this country is unfriendly to starting a business”. The permit laws and taxation for businesses are… Read more »
LepusKhan
LepusKhan
4 years 28 days ago

and of course, God help you if you actually manage to make any money at that business- then you’re REALLY in trouble..

4 years 28 days ago
The defecation is very much hitting the oscillating blades. I’m trying to see the positive though, I’m a cold blooded capitalist alwasye have been. I’m hoping to do some profiteering in this chaos, and hopefully when the dust settles and people come to their senses I’ll have built something that can last. In the mean time I’m stocking up on ammo, saving up for more guns. I’m also working on improving my survival skills. Needs must when the devil drives and if needs be I’ll go and become a farm hand to survive or live in the wilderness. All I… Read more »
ronm0817
4 years 28 days ago

Amen, the ultimate currency exchange of God , Guns, and Whiskey is coming soon. Buy that Bulk Ammo cause Obama is going for serial numbered bullets and raising the price to infinity.

4 years 26 days ago
I’m stocking up on ammo as much as I can afford. I recently got nostalgic and and went looking for some of Pa fiddles and other instruments(just to hold them and see if I remembered a note or two). I found 1000 rounds of good .22 long rifle ammo for his now my rifle. Sure the .22 isn’t the best defensive weapon, but I can take small game with it. Honestly it was like he was giving me a gift from beyond. As for Whiskey being the currency of choice, I can’t wait. I’ve alwayse wanted my own still(I’ve never… Read more »
Steve E
Steve E
4 years 28 days ago

As a Canadian I have seen first hand the damaging effects increased government regulation and spending can have on- oh wait nevermind.

4 years 27 days ago

Hmmm…I like your thinking…uh…wait. Are we allowed to do that anymore or do we have a department of something or other that thinks for us? Wait a second, I was thinking there…ignore me.

doublebhomestead
4 years 28 days ago

Reblogged this on doublebhomestead and commented:
This says exactly what I want to say, only much better than I could say it myself. Do yourself a favor and read this and see if you don’t agree.

Ken Harkin
Ken Harkin
4 years 27 days ago

I say we let Red counties only supply food to blue counties for five years and see how that works out.

Ken Harkin
Ken Harkin
4 years 27 days ago

Argggg. red supply to red only.

Bob W.
Bob W.
4 years 27 days ago
Mr. Correia, I do get tired of this. I want you to know something. I’m a liberal, I’m a union guy, I’m a non-gun owner who believes in gun rights (but I love knives and edged weapons), and I’m a huge fan of your books. I have every one both in print and on Audible. Both the Monster Hunter books and the Grimnoir Chronicles books. I found Hard Magic on Audible, and sounded interesting. I drive a lot, so I love the audible stuff. I liked it so much I tried out MHI, even though it didn’t sound like my… Read more »
ronm0817
4 years 27 days ago
So Bob: While Mr. Correia makes an extensive new blog post in response to your comment; let me say that I for one find him honest to a fault. His political views voice deep concern for the fragile and deteriorating condition of our country based on the number of people with their hands out for Big Government to fill with the largess of EBT Cards, Housing, Food Stamps, 99 plus weeks of unemployment and more things I cannot even enumerate here. After rereading his “Congratulations, Obama voters” post I did not see a castigation of Unions directly there. I did… Read more »
4 years 26 days ago

The Unions being stronger than Corporations and the representing a Doctor were my examples. I was arguing against someone and using one of the many horror stories Ma told me from her Union work.
I just don’t want you to get yelled at for saying the wrong person said that. I’ve seen people ignore entire comments/arguments because so an easy enough mistake.

Bob W.
Bob W.
4 years 26 days ago
This was my first post here, though I’ve read it for some time. Mr. Correia’s talked about unions before. Yes, I know all about Heinlein’s politics. Some of it I agree with, some of it I don’t. But he’s a great writer. I did take from him to always keep learning. Ayn Rand is a terrible writer, and her books sucked. Look, one should really not try to take a fantasy novel and live it in the real world. People who think her stuff should be how you live your life is the same as the nuts who “share water”.… Read more »
4 years 26 days ago

It’s my fault, Bob. I didn’t give enough to Larry’s MHIEHB project fast enough!
Dangit!

ronm0817
4 years 26 days ago
Bob simply and as kindly as I can put ask, just tell me why you are a liberal and voted for Obama. I am genuinely interested in why. So to be fair I just so we are on the same footing I voted for Romney and Ryan because: 1. The country needs to reduce spending on just about everything but entitlements, welfare, NPR, NEA, loans for students to study art history, and Solyndra gives me the willies. Our debt will destroy the US as we know it. 2. Obama’s notion of Job creation is hilarious; Businesses create jobs not government.… Read more »
4 years 26 days ago
The interweb is an interesting thing, before this year I never even considered the political leanings of my favorite authors but so many of them are posting. Sadly to my dismay these intelligent people are so far left that it boggles my mind. What’s worse many of them not only espouse opinions I disagree with most of them just parrot the opinions of others. They aren’t even thinking for themselves, worse when well thought out contrary posts are posted they are deleted, or the authors have thinly encouraged dissenting posts be marked spam so the system deletes them. That is… Read more »
Bob W.
Bob W.
4 years 26 days ago

I am not for boycotts and censorship, and I most sincerely do not call for that here. See my comments in the comment section of Mr. Correia’s reply to me.

4 years 26 days ago
Yes you did. Oh sure your boycott was thinly veiled, but the mentality was there. You would prefer Larry not state his opinions as they aren’t in line with your thinking. You mention the potential loss of future readers, even the loss of your potential recommendations. Did you come right out and say boycott, or that you wanted him censored? No, but the intention was there. Worse after all your ranting was done when Larry showed you the door and said you could go you back peddled. You lack the courage of your convictions, and that’s scary. If Larry had… Read more »
trackback

[…] Two magnificent rants about the election from one of my favorite authors, Larry Correia, author of the Monster Hunter series. First up, his post-election rant, "Congratulations, Obama voters": […]

inkandtears
Democrat have already re-written the last 10 years as having no economic growth under Bush, which is a total lie since he started with the Dot Com bubble recession, then the Sept 11th recession, and still had positive job numbers for his presidency even after the start of the 2008 recession. They blame Bush for a housing recession caused by Clinton’s housing policies, and give Clinton credit for a ballance Budget which was forced on him by Newt Gingrich and the Republicans. There is no reason to believe that the democrats will take responsibility for the negative consequences of any… Read more »