PJ Media asks sci-fi writers to predict the political future.

Not tomorrow’s political future (my prediction, Romney wins with 279 electoral votes, and Republicans get to 51 in the Senate) but 20 years into the future. PJM interviewed me, Sarah Hoyt, Tom Kratman, and Kate Paulk.

http://pjmedia.com/blog/the-future-let%E2%80%99s-ask-a-sci-fi-writer/  Pretty good stuff. And once again, I’m the optimist. :)

16 Comments on "PJ Media asks sci-fi writers to predict the political future."

Wishing it to be so won’t make it happen. 240 Romney 298 Obama….a split on the popular vote with Romney taking the lead.

I think the polls’ over-sampling of the Democratic voters, along with failure to realize the actual mood of the electorate, has led them badly astray – or they’re deliberately skewing the results, just like the media. I predict a decisive win for Romney.

Where did they ever find such a group of Pollyannas?

Tannim111

Huh. They caught Tom in an optimistic mood.

Heh, no, I just had limited space and had to leave out some of the stuff about “the whole world going to hell and we’re selling them the handbasket”

Hardware

Carter was ahead of Reagan the weekend before the 1980 election. Landslide Reagan victory. No Democratic poutrage, unlike 2012, I predict.

:( I love PJTV and I thought it would be a video or at least audio interview.

Mike

I dunno… you look at history, and most countries manage to go through some pretty crappy times without everything exploding around them. I’m not too worried about overall security and prosperity until somebody else gets big enough to start throwing their weight around. As fast as China is growing, they’ve still got a long way to go before they can really do that beyond the local region.

We’ll have a worse market for a while when we go through whatever pains medicare et al are going to lead to, but there’s still enough base infrastructure and cultural capital around to keep things running pretty well for another 20 years.

Hell, for as much political unrest as we have, very few people are actually shooting each other yet. Nothing compared to even the race riots 30-40 years ago.

draven

If you look at history, most countries tend to go through major collapses, revolutions, and civil wars every 200 years or so…

Ted N

Well… That was heartening.

Hey thanks for the link Larry!

Brian

I think using the Reagan/Carter 1980 election as an example is mistake. In 1980 you didn’t have the liberal media kissing Carter’s ass.

You could have an another Bush/Gore 2000 election fiasco, where one side or the other feels like the election was stolen.

Good analogy with the bloat knife. That line another author said about violence in mexicali has me thinking of using my Easter gift card to the gun range to buy some more ammo instead of a rail mounted light. What good would a light do if I don’t have enough ammo stocked up.

draven

Larry should do a video interview with Bill Whittle (known SF fan )

I don’t know Whittle, but I know people who know him, if Larry’s interested I’ll see what I can do.

Cadeyrn

Well… time to rethink what it will look like in 2016, then decide whether a recovery will be possible by 2020.