Economists for Romney and my opinion on Paul Ryan

Awesome. And they have 4 more Nobel prizes than Obama does.

Sidenote, as I was reading this in the office this morning, I excitedly remarked to my assistant manager “Wow! This has some of my favorite economists on it!” Then I had to stop and realize how sad it is that I actually have favorite economists. I am such a political dork 🙂

I haven’t posted about Ryan yet. Overall, not who I was expecting, but as an accountant/finance guy/small business owner, I like him. Is he perfect? No. He’s got two big votes in the past that I disagree with on philosophical grounds, but on both of them I can understand his reasoning. He makes up for those by knowing how to do MATH. Shocking, I know, right? Romney picking Ryan sends a message. We’re going to talk about the real issues, like how Obama is running America off of a cliff.

As soon as they announced Ryan, the media had a come apart. I heard the words “extreme” and “radical” so many times that I thought I was watching a Mountain Dew commercial. I kept waiting for Ryan to come flying onto the screen doing flips on a skateboard while being chased by a shark. No, sorry media. Tony Hawk is “extreme”. Habeneros are “extreme”. Paul Ryan is a moderate republican who stayed awake through accounting 201.

You want an example of extreme, how about Harry Reid and the democrat senate not passing a budget for THREE YEARS… Think about that. We were able to pass budgets during the Civil War. What’s their excuse now? Paul Ryan is so extreme that his budget got a couple hundred votes, while Barack Obama’s budget got zero.

Ryan’s budget is only extreme if you operate under the belief that having 51% of Americans pay no tax at all and over 100,000,000 Americans on some form of welfare is a good thing. Ryan’s budget is only extreme if you think that every single government program is sacred and can’t be cut at all, ever. The second you start to cut any program you get the screams of anguish and suffering and killing grandma and blah blah blah, so nothing ever gets cut, so the government just keeps on getting bigger and stupider, until it will inevitably mathmatically collapse. Then we get to leave our kid’s generation to figure out how to pay the tab. Bravo, democrats. How very extreme of you.

And Romney and Ryan get that. Is Romney perfect? Far from it. I talked about why I didn’t like Romney clear back in the ’08 primaries. However, the primaries are where you vote for who you want, and in the general election you vote for who you got. Romney is who we’ve got, and he’s better than Barack Obama in pretty much every way you can think of.

And save me the Libertarian purist, Lesser of Two Evils speech. No. This isn’t even close to lesser of two evils. This is a mushy moderate who sometimes thinks government is the answer when it really isn’t, but overall is a pretty decent person, who understands capitalism, free markets, and the Constitution vs. a wealth redistributing, race baiting, scandal ridden, class warfare loving, marxist.

One of these two men will be president. One of them just picked the #1 enemy of nationalized healthcare to be his running mate. The other one has a circus clown with hair plugs.

Since we’re on the topic of economics, here is a webpage I rather like that is just the facts about the national debt. http://www.justfacts.com/nationaldebt.asp#causes-tax  It is fascinating reading.

When Diplomacy Fails
More Geeky Hobbies

109 Comments on "Economists for Romney and my opinion on Paul Ryan"

Keith Glass

Larry. . .

You just gravely insulted circus clowns. . . . (grin)

Steve

Here is some interesting information about the Obama and Ryan budgets, I would be interested in what you think.

Three things stuck out at me

1) Ryan’s plan gives more to Medicare than Obama’s, so much for the the ads that Ryan’s plan throws Grandma over a cliff (remember those?)

2) Obama wants to spend more on Defense than Ryan

3) Both plans are wholly unsustainable according to the National Debt charts, Interest and Revenue

I cant vouch for the site or data but they seem to match what was proposed in each plan

(you can change the chart by selecting the drop down)]

Full article

Brad R. Torgersen

I strongly suspect that even many of the ardent Obama supporters are aware of the fact that Obama’s four years in office have been an economic joke. Record unemployment, astounding increases in the debt and the deficit, no budgets being passed, etc. But due to the massive religious furor surrounding Obama, to admit they were wrong is unthinkable. You can’t claim someone is the Second Coming and then turn around four years later and go, “Uhhh, OK, maybe I was wrong.” Nope. It’s double-down time for the Obamanomics kool-aid drinkers.

Steve

It certainly looks that way when you see polling data but once it comes time to get dressed. leave the house and actually go vote, I suspect many will decide to stay in and eat and drink their WIC chips and food stamp beer instead

Of course Mitt has a similar issue with an energized and motivated base, the Ryan VP helps some with this but turns off others.

Michael Z. Williamson

You seem to not be cognizant of the fact that without 0bama’s policies we’d be facing 235% unemployment. So there.

Tannim111
Tannim111

Sorry to correct you, Mike, but you forgot to carry the 1. It’d be 335%

peavybob

Quit sugarcoating it. Without Obama’s policies we would all be unemployed, killed, turned into zombies, then killed again as part of the evil republican health care plan.

monkeyfan
monkeyfan

All your grandmothers are belong to us.

ImanAzol
ImanAzol
peavybob

Are you trying to use this as a counter-argument or are you just asking for a good fisking?

Steve

I think the opinion’s of the economist cited by Mitt are relevant and a valid counter argument. Tell us what exactly it is in the link that you have such a problem with and maybe it can be discussed vs everyone getting a good fisting. Why you think it would be worthy of a good fisting is beyond me, unless everything that is counter to your beliefs is evil. Go ahead and use adult words if you feel the need, its not like you are still pure if you think the thought but misspell the word

Julaire
Julaire

Steve, fisking is an entirely different word than fisting. From urban dictionary, fisking is:

“The word derived from articles written by Robert Fisk that were easily refuted, and refers to a point-by-point debunking of lies and/or idiocies.”

Do you feel enlightened?

Steve

I do, thanks for the information. Its not often I check the urban dictionary vs the regular old dictionary but I guess I should. It however does not invalidate my original point

Thanks Julaire

peavybob
Steve, someone just posted a random link on a blog with no explanation. i was simply asking what their intent was. Generally someone linking another page on a political topic falls into one of two categories: 1. Using that article to support their opinion (or in this case since no opinion was given to counter the opinion on this blog) 2. To request that our resident best-selling author turn his considerable talent towards fisking said article. Since ImanAzol gave no explanation, and the article is contrary to Larry’s opinion (it is the washington post after all), I was asking for… Read more »
Steve
Peavybob – I thought you were trying to say fisting and took the tone of your post from there. As we have already established I was wrong and I apologize. Your explanation above makes perfect sense and its what I got out of the article also. But like you, I did not read the article very careful (it is the washington post after all) But I am still unsure how you could fisk the article based on the understanding you mention. If you can show the economists are quacks then Mitt should not be referencing them. I have been a… Read more »
peavybob
Again Steve, I was not giving a recommendation for a fisking, though if Larry chose to do one, it would undoubtedly be great. I was simply trying to determine Iman’s intent since he was busy going for the strong and silent look. Since economics isn’t my realm of expertise I have no way of telling how much of the article was political BS and how much was simple ignorance (it is the washington post after all), but since Larry’s day job is the G.I. Joe Spreadsheet, he would probably be able tell how much of it is BS, but do… Read more »
ronm0817

Jesus Christ this is a Washington Post article and even quotes University of Chicago Commie Economics professors. Sheesh! Only the New York Times is more left Biased. The submitter should comment not just send URLs. This is a give and take Blog.

Kristophr

Right … a bunch of Chicago School Keynesians don’t like Romney’s economic strategy.

Welp … Obambam followed their Keynesian rot to the letter, and we now have a shattered economy, and the worst unemployment since the Great Depression.

The best thing to do with a Keynesian and their opinions is to toss them into a deep scorpion pit, and laugh at their screams.

ronm0817

Yep Keynes was a devout Socialists; but see my URL about Obama and Cloward-Piven Strategy of Manufactured Crisis. I have double itemized this but it is key to understand Obama. He never intends for the economy to succeed he wants to destroy us; and he is doing a damn fine job so far.

Suicidal Idiot
Suicidal Idiot

Ah, but Obama’s Nobel is worth at least 10 times what theirs are. It is for stuff that’s still in the future. Obama can say “I will do something world shakingly great in the future, and here’s the Nobel Prize to prove it.”

The economists are all gloating about past accomplishments that have already done.

No contest.

And ability to do math is overrated against the ability to care about…. something.

Speakertweaker
…who understands capitalism, free markets, and the Constitution… I’ll give him capitalism and free markets, but only by the same criteria that I’ll give him the Constitution; it’s one thing to understand it, but it’s something else entirely to defend it, even when (or especially when) it won’t win any political points to do so. We’ll revisit this in 2016, provided we’re not discussing the last eight years of Obama. Larry, I’ll just ask you point blank: do you honestly believe that the Mitt Romney Administration will be a defender of capitalism, free markets, and the Constitution? Being only slightly… Read more »
Kristophr

This thread needs a libtard to comment in it.

Brian Lewis
Brian Lewis

I find it telling that the Teamsters are NOT endorsing Obama this time. The coal miners union has withdrawn thier support as well, after supporting him in ’08. Public sector unions are not endorsing him either. I can’t say I blame them he basically threw them under the bus in the Wisconsin recall election. And to come to think of it the SEIU has been mighty quiet too and they were mong his most rabid supporters in ’08.

Rats leaving a sinking ship? or Fleas leaving a dead dog?

Ken Harkin
Ken Harkin

I believe even some of the unions are realizing that having the president on your side can only do so much while the economy sputters and dies. Romney may not be their “friend” but if the economy turns around under him they will be better off than four more years of stagnation and death under their buddy.

They won’t endorse Romney but they may stay quiet.

ron
ron

as a preson who has live in the peoples rep of mass romney was a rino did not back the gun oners in the state but will hold nose and vote for him

Julaire
Julaire

I see this ‘will hold nose and vote for him’ statement a lot (on this blog and elsewhere). I’m beginning to wonder if distributing Romney stamped clothespins prior to the election so people can pin them to their noses on election day might be a humorous thing to do, and if it might drive a point home to people who might otherwise stay home on election day because they don’t like either candidate.

Cadeyrn
Cadeyrn

What if… magical words. What if Romney’s introduction wasn’t the gaffe that people think. What if Romney is going to bow out, leaving Ryan as Presidential nominee and free to make an offer to Rubio to bring on Florida and parts of the South? The Ryan-Rubio ticket has an actual fighting chance not only to win the election, but to actually shift the course of the nation. What if…

sureshot

Let’s not forgot the mess that the repulicans dropped into Obams lap either. It’s all easy to point the finger when the guy before him kind of screwed over the economy too. I’m not saying Obama is not a fault. He has made mistakes. Just don’t act like everything that happned before Obama was elected never happened.

and really ” libtard”. How very mature. Not I’m not one. Tend to be more of the middle of the road type of guy who lives up north in Canada.

peavybob

You forget that Obama knew what he was getting into well before he ran for election and chose to do so anyway. And knowing full well what he was facing he still made promises that he didn’t keep, screwed the economy even more, and generally ran things into the gutter.

ronm0817
Obama is following the very evil proposition called the The “Cloward-Piven Strategy of Orchestrated Crisis” this is a plan to drive the American economy into bankruptcy so that Obama can achieve the destruction of the United States which has been his plan all along to pay us back for our Neo-Colonial work over the past 60 years as he was trained by Frank Marshall and William Ayers. Cloward-Piven were Commie Professors at Columbia and Obama’s Political Science profs. Do not believe for a second Obama has a benign bone in his Marxist Leninist body. He is the ultimate Manchurian Candidate.… Read more »
sureshot
I’m not denying that. Yet too many here seem to think that every problem under Obama tenure was caused by the Democrats. No way are you going to make me believe that the Dems and Obama are responsible for everything. The Republicans caused some problems too. It happens under every government. Just because you favor one does not mean they should be exempt from responsability. No government has a 100% success rate on everything. Not Repulbicans and not Democrats. Still you make a fair point. Obama did make a promise to fix everything and like every other president or politicla… Read more »
Geodkyt
Geodkyt
Sureshot — The problem is that pretty much, NOTHING Obama has done has worked. . . except for when he was merely continuing pre-existing BUSH policies. There were no secrets about the economy — the economic bubble burst because of the credit crunch caused by the mortgage bubble. . . created by government programs that forced banks to make loans to people who could not afford them or face civil rights suits. There were no real strategic secrets about the conduct of the war (this was isn’t really condusive to “strategic” secrecy, except in terms of geopolitics with wavering allies).… Read more »
Kristophr
You should hear the things libtards call us. As for earlier messes … The econmy under Bush was doing fine, until Barney Frank had his personal friends at Fannie Mae and Freddie Mac open up the CRA mess and caused the housing bubble to burst two weeks before the election. Palin and McCain were winning at that point … and then a Dem deliberately caused a crisis. And now Obama has the gall to blame Bush for this? When do the training wheels come off of his Presidency. We are NOT going to give this retard another four years to… Read more »
sureshot
Well with respect both sides have pretty much engaged in way too much political mud-slinging. It’s not a good thing. So while that type of thing happens it’s not a good thing imo and not something to be proud of depsite your political convictions. Well your not going to make me believe that Ex-president Bush tenure was a perfect one. I’m not saying he was the worst president or that he did not accompish anything postive. Unlike some of my fellow countrymen I refuse to believe that any president or prime minister in power is unable to get anything right… Read more »
Kristophr

I am not calling you out as an idiot.

I am calling you out as an outsider.

I do not comment about what I consider to be errors of judgement by Canadian politicians simply because such is absolutely none of my damned business.

Steve

Yeah, if your not an American then you have no business having an opinion on what America does because nothing we do effects the rest of the world. Sounds kinda dumb huh Kristophr?

peavybob
Really steve, what’s your opinion on Putin’s last election campaign? Can you give me a good analysis on the chinese change of power? They both effect the rest of the world too, but I doubt you’re familiar enough with the culture to recognize all the nuances of their politics. This is easily the lowest and dirtiest campaign run in recent history, and Mr. Canadian-sir just said that’s normal. Kristopher just pointed out that just because its normal in Canada, does not make it so here. Just because something effects you does not mean your opinion of it is automatically valid.
Steve
I was going to start with my views on Putin and the Chinese but since its not the central part of your argument I decided to focus on something else. I will say that if an American does not have at least a small understanding (not every nuance) of the situation in Russia and China as well as Japan and the EU (at an absolute minimum) then that person is woefully ignorant. The fact you even asked the question about Russia and China like it would be hard, says to me that you have no idea. I could be wrong,… Read more »
peavybob
Steve, that’s exactly my point. You don’t know the relationships between whatever political persuasions there are in russia or china. you don’t know what is socially acceptable and what isn’t for politicians to do. You don’t understand the culture. To pretend otherwise would make you look silly to someone who grew up there. Mr. Canadian-sir is interpreting our politics with the same metric as his own when the two are inherently different. How much do you know about Canadian politics? Would you care to tell us whats wrong with their country and whose fault it is? I’ll wait for you… Read more »
Steve
Your rational and conclusions are seriously flawed. First you seem to think just by living in one country you are therefor omniscient. The second is that you need to understand every nuance, every political persuasion and the entire culture to make any decision or have an opinion. I grew up in Minnesota, I have more in common with the average person in Manitoba than I do the average person in some States. You think the people in the Yukon have more in common with Washington State/ Alaska or Quebec. I know a TON of Canadians that know more about American… Read more »
sureshot
Granted I am an outsider yet I do try to inform myself on the subject at hand. As you can see I’m not aboslving either side for the mess that your country and politics are in. I did lurk for awhile and wanted to join in on the debate. I also want to apologize for my remark before. It was out of line. No call for it nor very respectful. I may not agree with your postion on politics yet need to accept that others have a difference in opinion. What I do think is that both parties need more… Read more »
peavybob
a. rationale, not rational. common mistake, rationale is the reasoning, rational is the descriptor. b. you are misinterpreting what I am saying, whether deliberately, accidentally or if you’re just making up words for me in your head I don’t know. So let me introduce you to the fine art of fisking. I’m nowhere near as good as Larry though so don’t get your hopes up. No, however a person will naturally pay more attention to their own politics than to that of another country since their own politics will affect them a lot more. We don’t have to worry about… Read more »
peavybob

I’m having formatting problems here

peavybob
Your rational and conclusions are seriously flawed. First you seem to think just by living in one country you are therefor omniscient. No, however a person will naturally pay more attention to their own politics than to that of another country since their own politics will affect them a lot more. We don’t have to worry about France levying taxes on us or outlawing our guns. Then again its France, I don’t think anyone’s really worried about them. The second is that you need to understand every nuance, every political persuasion and the entire culture to make any decision or… Read more »
peavybob

screw it. As I said I’m not as good as Larry, I can’t even get bold and italics to work. Anyway, the first version somehow only has my comments, and partially italicised. The second one has steves piece with my comments interspersed. Have fun sorting out that mess.

Steve
I am not even going to bother trying to understand what your points are. The formatting is as bad as the supposed fisking. So I will just make a few comments. Larry’s rants are clear and his stance and points are obvious (not to mention funny. its not the formatting or italics that are the issue with yours) I excluded Washington from the list because he did not actively seek the Presidency. After the war he wanted to return home and spent much of his time restoring Mount Vernon. He was elected because of his actions, not because of his… Read more »
peavybob
“I am not even going to bother trying to understand what your points are” Right, you’ll just keep on making up words for me in your head. Obviously the fact that I’m not as skilled a writer as Larry automatically renders my arguments invalid. But then it doesn’t really matter what I say does it? No matter what facts I bring to the table, you will refuse to believe them because your own ideology makes you feel warm and fuzzy. The washington reference was an example of a literary device known as a joke. The particular format of this example… Read more »
Steve

Peavybob – ” I’m pretty sure I’m not saying what you think I’m saying.”

That’s the problem peavybob, I guess I don’t understand what you are saying. I re-read your posts several times and I cant make out what you are trying to say for sure. I can assure you I was not trying to put words in your mouth, I was honestly trying to respond to your posts as I understood them

I guess I will just pass over your posts so we can stop the huge text wall. Have a nice weekend

Joe in PNG
Joe in PNG

Personally, I want to see Obama leave office following a massive electorial landslide ala Regan/Mondale ’84. That would send quite the message, one even RINO’s would get- “Don’t Do What Obama Did!”

joecrouse
joecrouse

Wishfull thinking when you see that folks vote for Obama because he is a minority. I would LOVE to see dozens of faithless electors. Of course If Obama loses watching whole neighborhoods burn down and shops destroyed ect in protest will be a new sport for about a week.

Jeremy
Jeremy
I have a hard time even thinking of Ryan as a fiscal Conservative. The guy voted for two completely unfunded wars, TARP and a whole host of other completely unfunded projects, yet they are running him as some sort of accounting guru. Bottom line is, the rich are getting more tax cuts and the middle class is stuck with the bill for two wars, we didn’t want. At least I didn’t want them, I lost friends playing the WMD edition of where’s waldo in Iraq. I’m not a huge fan of Obama, for a lot of reasons but the GOP… Read more »
Kristophr

Who did you want to see nominated?

Jeremy:
Considering that my daughter was a Naval Officer through the whole darn thing from 2003 through 2012; and indeed she and I both lost friends and as well. Just who are you supporting. Now is not the time to walk away and shucks Mr. perfect is not running. The comments about the war’s are interesting given the fact of 2001 and the impending nuclear capabilities and threats of Islam in general, just what would you have done. Saved the money???

Just outline your geopolitical plan and who do you support for Leaders. You comment looks like Democratic Party talking points.

Jeremy
Jeremy

Regardless of how I or you feel about the wars, you missed my point. My point was Ryan isn’t some great Fiscal conservative, he has no history of being one either.

Kristophr

And you missed our points as well.

If you wait for Mr. Perfect, then you will just be holding your breath while Obama gets another four years to fuck us with.

If you want better Republican candidates, then I would suggest Joining your local party, and participating at precinct meetings, and your county and state conventions.

Just sitting on the couch and bitching about the quality of the nominees after the fact does not cut it.

Steve
If you both have lost friends then I would think Paul would be your candidate. 4 of his top 5 contributors are departments of defense so he seems to be the candidate for active duty personnel also. I know some people will start to throw a fit when you mention anyone besides Mitt but the R Convention is not over and Mitt is not the official R candidate yet. And even when he is I don’t see enough of a difference between Mitt and Obama to justify my vote. I don’t buy into the belief that I have to chose… Read more »
Steve
Strawman, no candidate is the pick of any single group and certainly not one as large as the Military. But the fact 4 of his top 5 donors are defense departments certainly mean something while Mitt’s is 5 for 5 big banks. You know the big banks that help cause the housing crash (With Barney) The ones that got HUGE taxpayer funded bailouts. If you want to vote for the candidate who backs the big banks just because hes not Obama that’s your decision to make. It does not matter for me if Paul comes out of the convention with… Read more »
peavybob
Steve, a valid argument might have been that 4 out of 5 military groups gave more money to Ron Paul than anyone else. Since that would show support compared to the other candidates. Simply saying that his largest contributers were the military proves nothing, as they could have donated the same amount to each candidate, and Ron Paul simply didn’t have anything larger. Let me put it like this: “I’m running for president in 2040, and I have the full support of the democratic party because President Obama is my largest campaign contributor. I mean, he gave me 20 times… Read more »
Steve
I made a valid argument. The fact that Mitt’s top contributors are all to big to fail banks and Paul’s are mostly Dept of Defense is valid in itself. If you would like to see where the Dept of Defense, Army, Navy ect contribute to other candidates that would certainly be interesting but it would not invalidate my argument. But I was curious so I poked around a bit, I cant find a good list of donors by Employer that goes beyond top 5 but I did find this (granted its from Jan 5th) http://www.opensecrets.org/news/2012/01/military-donors-still-prefer-paul.html Paul is easily in first… Read more »
peavybob
Interesting numbers, but its from before romney won the nomination. What are the contribution numbers now that romney is the official candidate? I honestly would have preferred Ron Paul to Romney as well, but since he didn’t get the nomination he doesn’t have a chance of winning the election. So Romney it is. However, the chart you linked does not say the same thing as your last post. The chart says military members gave more to Ron Paul than the other candidates. This is a good argument (though a little out of date, are there updated numbers anywhere?). what you… Read more »
Steve
Telling you that Paul’s biggest contributor is the Military and that Mitts largest is the Banks certainly does tell you something. It may not tell you everything you want but I assumed if a person had questions they would look it up themselves. I know that Banks did not contribute to equal amount to Paul and Mitt for two reasons 1) Company’s don’t hedge like that 2) I looked it up prior. Even without looking it up if all 5 of the top contributors to Mitt are banks and 4 of the top 5 for Ron Paul are Dept of… Read more »
ronm0817
To clear the air here, losing friends a.k.a. “Absent Companions” as the toast goes at any military ball.is not a reason to vote for Democrats. Also, do not confuse how those in the force would vote versus Defense Contractors. Mr Correia is right clear majority of Military voters vote republican. Hence Mr. Axlerod’s Justice Department suite in Ohio not to let armed services members have extra time to vote in the election. I think that tells the whole story about these Commie Democrats. So on with the discussion. Ryan like all members of Congress are constantly faced with the dilemma… Read more »
sureshot

My prediction is that it’s going to be a very close race imo. Neither side will win it in a landside. It’s going to be down to a few votes. I’m not sure the eletoral public is ready to embrace the Republican completey. Yet neither can the Democrats count on them winning like they did last time.

Kristophr

This is based on statements by pollstitutes like Zogby and company, and by statements by left-wing network reporters on CNN and the three old networks, and unaware repetition of the same on the CBC, I’ll bet.

Rasmussen will give you better data, as well as actually talking to folks in the US outside of leftist venues.

Obama is staring into the face of a Republican landslide in the Electoral college. The people in charge at the Democratic Party know this, and are starting to act unhinged as a result.

Steve

If only there was a way to find out what Rasmussen polling data looked like so we could see if it was close, as Sureshot mentions

Mitt = 45%
Obama =44%
Other Canidate = 4%
Undecided = 7%

Nick
Nick

I don’t want either to be president.

Jake
Jake
If you have no reason to actively support either, then the question changes from “who do you want to be president” to “who do you want to NOT be president”. Absolute indifference between the two is unlikely (though not impossible), since it means the two come out exactly the same in every single factor you consider. That would suggest the two are identical – not similar, not leaning the same way, but identical – in every relevant aspect. Surely there is at least one measurable difference between them. If nothing else, electing Romney means we don’t have to put up… Read more »
ronm0817

I absolutely agree not having to suffer Mrs. Obama in her Marie Antoinette impersonation would be a boon to mankind. Her yammering the operative paraphrase of “Let them eat broccoli” is getting on my last nerve. Relieving that from the air weaves is reason enough to vote republican for the rest of my life.

Joe in PNG
Joe in PNG
Can we please leave the feeling based wishful thinking to the leftist? What one likes & what one wants are often not the same as how things are & what one has to do. But you don’t like choosing the lesser of two evils? Well, tough. Life will often give you a crappy choice… or no choice at all. So, let us get a clue. Ron Paul will not be the Republican nominee, and voting Libertarian is NOT going to cause the RNC to wholesale adopt YOUR personal political platform. A political party who’s only realistic goal is “get on… Read more »
Steve
The Republican Party was a third party at one point so by your logic people should have voted for Dem or Whigs vs voting for a 3rd party candidate that supported their values? Contrary to your wishful thinking (funny as you rail against it then make statements about feelings) I have a choice. I don’t have to hold my nose and vote if I don’t want to. I am free to vote my conscience. If Obama wins the election, then the people have spoken and he is your President. Want to cry about it after the fact, that’s what the… Read more »
Joe in PNG
Joe in PNG

You have plans? You would be ok with the USA falling apart, chaos and a large number of your fellow countrymen dying and starving because you have plans?

What in the hell is the matter with you?

I know it may be hard to believe, but sometimes, it may happen that your plans may not work out (first time in the history of ever, right?).

We’re in this mess because a good number of people wanted free stuff without thinking about the consequences. Hoping that they die off is just evil.

peavybob

Repeublican party was founded in 1854, 2 years after the Whig party split and fell apart, and had a large number of the anti-slavery whigs in it. you could say they took over the whig party, almost like (gasp) tea partiers.

I must say I admire your rugged individualism though. Not many people would have the guts to say “I’m gonna do whatever I want, and let the country go to hell.” maybe throw in a bah humbug, and decreasing the surplus population.

Steve
You seem to misunderstand planning. Do you have a life insurance policy? If so do you have one because you want to die? On the contrary, I believe I am doing more to help this country than you are (this is my belief and I could be wrong of course) I believe that Mitt and Obama will both pile on debt, they both will allow wall st to profit off the people and will allow the FED to continue to fleece us. I believe that I am doing more for this country by voting for neither of them and maybe… Read more »
Steve
Peavybob – The Dem and Whig party were still active so the Rep party was a 3rd party even if it was a split. And I have no problems with this as I think that is how its supposed to work if the Party does not reflect your beliefs. I was responding to Joe who seemed to be condemning a 3rd Party while telling people to get on board and vote for his party that was formed as a 3rd party long ago. But I am glad you bring up the Tea Party. Who is closer to the original Tea… Read more »
Julaire
Julaire
So here’s my question for you, Steve, since you seem to go on about how you don’t want to vote for Romney or Obama. It’s pretty clear that at least these four names will be on the ballot in Nov: Barak Obama Mitt Romney Gary Johnson Roseanne Barr (probably a few other smaller 3rd party options as well, depending on your state) Which of those four are you going to vote for, or are you going to just leave that section blank, or are you not going to bother to show up at the polls at all? I see you… Read more »
peavybob

Steve you seem to be forgetting that the president doesn’t make laws (unless you’re obama with an executive order). That job is reserved for congress. Which candidate That has a chance of winning) will actually work with the tea party and libertarians? As Larry pointed out, just keep electing tea partiers, and that will keep romney in line. Obama won’t give a s***.

Steve
You certainly have a point but much of your plan has to apply to future congress as the one we have now only seems to stop terrible bills based on political maneuvers vs whats best for the county. Think about some of the bills this congress has passed, NDAA has to be at the top. The current crop in congress would not be much of a check on Mitt because its not much of a check on Obama. And even if the congress was a check on Mitt, it could be a check on Obama also so it would not… Read more »
peavybob

You mean like the congress we’ll be voting in at the same time as obama? That congress? lol

As to the headpunching thing. Are you saying you don’t care whether you get attempted murder or ineffectual help while the ambulance is over an hour away?

Steve
a) Not all congress members are elected this year. lol b) If enough congress members are elected to stop Obama or Mitt, then it wont matter, right? c) No, if I have a sucking chest wound I would not care who treated me if one rifled thru my pockets and the other took my boots, neither are effective and not much of a choice. But if you read what I said, I imagine Mitt will be worse for the nation as it relates to wall st. And since I was specifically talking about Wall St/ Financial that seems relevant. Was… Read more »
peavybob
we’re replacing the house and a third of the senate. that should change the dynamics a bit. i said keep romney in line, not stop him. he can’t sign any crap laws if they don’t reach his desk. But he’ll probably go along with whatever the republicans send him. They’ll definitely repeal obamacare. Obama will just veto that and it’ll be harder to get the 2/3 majority necessary to override it. Just a question, you keep blaming everything on wall street, where do you stand on the whole %99 thing? Who has more riding on the economy improving, the government… Read more »
Steve
Peavybob – “Just a question, you keep blaming everything on wall street, where do you stand on the whole %99 thing? Who has more riding on the economy improving, the government or wall street? Since the economy is wall streets life-blood, then what does that say about who they think will be best for it?” This is a great question and once you understand the answer, you will understand why the financial system is by far our greatest issue. The term financial system is a very broad label, I will try to give you a few pointers to get you… Read more »
Geodkyt
Geodkyt

Steve, the Whig party disintegrated in 1852 over slavery — the anti-slavery side managed to prevent the Whig incumbent from being renominated. By 1856, the majority of the party leaders had either left politics altogether or had joined other parties — with teh anti-slavery group joining with anti-slavery Democrats as the Republican party.

Steve

Thanks for re-writing the information from a wiki but can I ask why you are directing this at me? I simply said the Rep’s were a third party at one point when the Whigs and Dem’s were the two main party’s. Is that not true?

Did they disintegrate in 1852 or where they still active in 1856 even though most of the leaders had left? I am not sure how both statements can be true. It might be more accurate to say the party split in 1852 over slavery.

Rick Randall
Well, Steve, I responded the way I did because you got it pretty much 180 degrees backwards. By the time the Republican Party got started, it was the WHIGS who had fallen to third party status — because the Republican party was founded by defecting Whigs, not that an already existing (but minor) party was suddenly bolstered by a bunch of converts from the Whigs. It’s basically the same thing that happened that formed the modern Democrat Party and the old Whigs, by a split in the Democratic-Republican Party of teh early Federal period. The closest a third party has… Read more »
Steve
Your verbal diarrhea was painful to read so I am going to just respond with 2 items 1) “By the time the Republican Party got started” So the Dem and Whig party were active first, then came the Republican party. So the Rep party was 3rd, right? Who got the most votes is not important when you talk about what came first, second 3rd. By the way I think the system worked how it should have, when a party does not reflect the way its members feel that party should be dumped. The problem is that is next to impossible… Read more »
Geodkyt
Geodkyt
Steve — First off, I find it amusing that YOU, with your screeds on fractional banking, choose to characterize anyone else’s writing as “verbal diarrhea”. Seriously. {grin} I gave a short answer (one brief paragraph). You responded with accusing me of doing nothing but giving a Wiki quote. And you STILL got your facts wrong, asking me specifically, to explain my point. I _DID_. Now you complain that it is too much for you to read. 1. The Democratic Party was in existence. That’s ONE major party. The Whig Party has disintegrated into a third party status TWO YEARS before… Read more »
Steve
Honestly I have not made up my mind yet. I am waiting to see what happens at the convention and the state ballots and beyond. But I wont be voting for Mitt unless something crazy happens like cabinet positions are mentioned and they are spectacular. If Obama wins because Mitt could not get conservatives/ libertarians/ independents to hold their nose and vote for him, its not our fault. I think this is one of the problems with the 2 party system and primary’s. The Rep pick their candidate and the Dems pick their candidate. And the hard core R will… Read more »
Steve

Sorry, I nested this incorrectly but it was in response to Julaire

sureshot
The problem is if you don’t vote than imo you can’t complain whe the candidate that gets pciked makes a mess of things imo. I get into arguemtns all the time with the younger employees and once even had a manger talk to me because after awile you get tired of those who did not vote complain. I just no longer wanted to hear about politiican xyz is ruining the country. My question always is did you vote. No than I’m not interessted in listening to what you have to say. I vote whenever I can. Only one time I… Read more »
sureshot

According to Dave Mustaine of Megadeath Obama is behind the recent rash of shootings in the US. Might as well accuse Geroge Bush of being behind 9/11. Sad to see such a once great musician go off the rails.

peavybob

Obama had fast and furious. Can you blame the guy for getting a little confused? lol

Geodkyt
Geodkyt

As another blogger has said, we expect our entertainers to entertain. The King didn’t expect his court jester or the organ grinder’s monkey to be sage advisors on politics, and neither do I.

So, to Dave Mustaine (and all the other “celebrities” who feel that entertaining me qualifies them as experts in ANY field outside entertainment), I say:

“Shut up and DANCE MONKEY, DANCE!”

Steve

Foot meet mouth. Lets try to backpedal out of this quickly!

Steve

On a side note I disagree with your assessment of the court jester. They actually often served a very valuable role in the court as one the few people who could mock the court (and King)

Maybe Geodkyt should shut up and dance

sureshot
Herethe thing if say David Mustaine had said something that would help the republican cause or not so outlandish I would have ignored it. Accusing the president of the USA of orchestrating the recent spree of gun shooting to implement gun control is unbeleivable to say the least. I hold the same people who say that Bush orchestrated the 9/11 attacks to bolster his popularity. In comtempt and wonder if they should be wearing tinfoil hats. I got into a majopr argument with a cousin a few motnhs back because I laughed in hi face and said “no I don’t… Read more »
Rick Randall
Nope, Larry — there is nothing prohibiting an entertainer from being knowledgable outside their art. You happen to have an understanding of a wide range of topics outside writing. . . and being a professional (and successful) author is simply more likely to have wide ranging knowledge, if only from research, than an actor or singer. The problem is that so many glitterati assume they are experts in anything from military strategy, to nuclear physics, to epidemiology, etc. As for me, Steve, I don’t consider myself an entertainer. As for the jester — keeping the king somewhat sane IS a… Read more »
Rick Randall

Sureshot —

It matters not to me whether Mustaine said something helpful to the Democrats, helpful to the Republicans, or (as he did), something unbelieveably STUPID that was merely hurtful to the nation as a whole(you REALLY think anyone is going to change their vote from Romney to Obama because of a musician’s tinfoil beret allegations?).

As far as I know, he has all the credibility as an expert on politics as Rosie ODonneil has on firearms use, Jenny McCarthy on pharmacology, or Bradford Manning on honor. That is, NONE.

sureshot
No I’m not expecting anyone’s vote to change because of Mustaine dumb comments. Or very little. My point was when an entertainer whether he be republican or democratic that engages in that type of behavior is imo not doing any favors for his/her political party on the public relations end of thigs. But don’t discount any type of publicity. The Conservatives were all but wiped out in the early 90s from Canadain politics. Now they have a majority. A few bad decisions from the other politocal parties. Lack of any unity or imo a strong contentder in Canadian politics and… Read more »
Steve
Rick Randall – Your dismissive attitude toward my “source” is amusing. Its a simple wiki that plainly points out that Jesters were more than mad imbeciles (or at least could be) Any person with a grain of intelligence could read that wiki and if they were curious use it as a spring board to do their own research to find out about the historical jesters and their political contributions if you were so inclined. It even has sections at the bottom with interesting headers like References, External Links, Further Reading not to mention the links in the body. If you… Read more »
Geodkyt
Geodkyt
Steve — I didn’t “disregard” your Wikipedia source – in fact, I read it and examined it for your assertion. It’s a good reference for basic information on jesters. I merely disagree with your cherry-picking interpretation. There is a large gap between “disregard” and “disagree”. Simply because SOME jesters had political influence, and SOME of them were actually valuable in that role, does NOT automatically equate to the idea that the role of a jester is a member of the innermost political advisors in all, most, or even a large minority of cases. Nor does it mean that “serious political… Read more »
Mac
Mac

As an economist turned lawyer, I agree whole-heartedly Larry. Thanks for your books and your fiscal sanity.

trackback

[…] Praise! to Monster Hunter Nation] “As soon as they announced Ryan, the media had a come apart. I heard the words […]