My ancestor (maybe) shows up on Minimum Wage Historian

Because conquistadors get the longest killing streaks and unlock mad perks.

Am I related to Gaspar Correia? I don’t actually know. However, he was a historian who made up wild crap about monsters and mystical adventures because writing about actual real stuff was lame. So if we are related at least I know where I get it from.

Vasco – Hey, Correia. What’s on the other side of those mountains? I don’t think the Portuguese have ever gone there. Correia – Oh, those mountains? That’s where there are dragon mummies that are ridden by ninjas who fight gladiatorial battles in an arena made of solid gold. Vasco – Oh. Groovy. Hey, let’s go pillage the **** out of that village.

Because my ancestors simply did not give a crap. Outnumbered 8,000 to 1? Well, that means we might be late for dinner.

The Trayvon Martin shooting
The Burning Throne, Episode 20: Aerie of the Sky Riders

23 Comments on "My ancestor (maybe) shows up on Minimum Wage Historian"

george ashmore
george ashmore

Nature over nurture

Ralph Hoefelmeyer

Sounds plausible to me. I’ve had family on two or more sides of a lot conflicts over the last 500 years. WW II was bad. So was the US Civil War. We actually had two brothers on opposite sides.

Ralph Hoefelmeyer
Here’s an interesting song from the Tories of the US Revolution: It’s called either “Long Live the King of England” or “The Ranger Song”” The Ranger Song Murder ye bloody heathens We’ll fight for any reason, Long Live the King of England And all his mercenaries; We’ll kill the Goddamn rebels Burn the bastards’ homes to pebbles Long Live the King of England Up with the flag. chorus: Singing rape, rape the bastards’ women, Loot, loot their rum and linen All we shall leave Are some bodies and some pregnant women, Live or die it’s just as well We’ll all… Read more »
peavybob
peavybob

Not bad, how’s the tune go?

Ralph Hoefelmeyer

I don’t really know, it’s kind of a 4 point, if that makes sense. I am ignorant musically. It’s got a marching song cadence, if that makes sense.

Tom
Tom

I’m pretty sure this song was made up by revolutionary war reenactors during the bicentennial. It’s not an original song at all. In fact, I know some of the people who came up with the lyrics during a drinking bout around a campfire! I could be wrong, but this is what I’ve heard from the community. Funny to see how much it’s spread.

Wayne Miller
Wayne Miller

>>Because my ancestors simply did not give a crap. Outnumbered 8,000 to 1? Well, that means we might be late for dinner.<<

Sounds like your ancestors were Honey Badgers!

Laserlight
Laserlight

Money badgers.

LittleRed1
LittleRed1

Gee, that makes mine sound like under achievers. We got tossed out of Scotland for “liftin’ th’ kai”, ejected from Ulster, and invited to leave several colonies and territories prior to 1860. Oh, and one black sheep designed and built clipper ships, while another was Chief Justice of the U.S.

Scots-Irish vs. Spanish vs. honey-badgers. Now there would be a battle!

monk-e-fan
monk-e-fan
If ‘ol Gaspar had a word processor might we have seen “Heathen Hunters International” or “Pagan Hunters Crusade”? ——- Although number one in manuscript sales for Science Fictions and Rural Fantasy for many Sabbaths running, HHI would have of course been panned by the Papal Indulgence Times scroll inquisitors guild as ‘pulpy ‘old school’ ‘trash’ that could only appeal to the sensibilities of the ‘lowest common serf’. To wit: “…’Cause anyone who’s anyone knows that there’s no such thing as heart-chucking ninja super priests atop pyramids with snarling pet Chupacabras and obsidian knives forged in the fiery depths of hell… Read more »
zacharyhill

Conquistadors: The Honey Badgers of History….if honey badgers were evil, greedy and fanatical.

David (@notashot)

Hey,

I just finished reading Hard Magic. It was the first book of yours that i have come across. I wanted to thank you for such a fun experience.

I know it’s not related to the post but I figured you might actually read this.

Stretch
Stretch

Hernando Cortez off loaded his men, horses, and supplies to the beach. He then torched the ships, pointed inland and said (in medieval Spanish) “Conquer or die!”
Now there’s a man who understands “Motivation.”
He could have taught Mr. Lombardi a thing or two.

Ralph Hoefelmeyer
How long do you think a denizen of todays’ modern world would have lasted in the 15-19th Centuries? Don’t use us as your starting point. just take 10 college grads, 5 male, 5 female, from any major university. *NONE* can be ROTC grads of any kind. I wager they’d be toast. The Europeans might last 15 seconds longer because they might have the lingo. You know what happens to the attractive women. Even a 3rd world peasant from South America would do better. Our societies have developed entire nations of wusses. They channel their aggressive people in to the military… Read more »
Laserlight
Laserlight

Well, yeah, people who are not used to an environment won’t do well there. How long would a 15C person last in Los Angeles? How long would either set last in New Guinea, or the Kalahari?

richard mcenroe (@richard_mcenroe)

A 15thC person in LA would be running a bike gang or Crip set in a week.

x
x

I suggest reading a copy of Bernal Diaz del Castillo’s account of the Conquest.

It’s available for free on the gutenberg site.

Kristopher

I suggest reading a copy of Bernal Diaz del Castillo’s account of the Conquest.

It’s available for free on the gutenberg site.

Kristopher
Kristopher

I suggest reading a copy of Bernal Diaz del Castillo’s account of the Conquest.

It’s available for free on the gutenberg site.

( I appologize for the triple post … wordpress is being retarded again, and defaulting to too much personal info )

richard mcenroe (@richard_mcenroe)

What’s that book we should read again? And where can we find it?

Kristopher
Kristopher

( Now I’m getting angry … WordPress just inflicted a toolbar on my browser … I’ll need to root it out and block that as well. )

Díaz del Castillo, Bernal (1963) [1632]. The Conquest of New Spain.

That was the latest English translation of Conquistador Bernal’s original work, and is still under copyright. There are some not so good bowdlerized versions in English dating from the 1860s on the Project Gutenberg site for free. The original Spanish/Castilian version is also available on the net.

Otpu
Otpu

check Sunday’s Schlock Mercenary for Howard Tayler’s cool
caricature of Larry!!

Tetsubo included at no extra charge!

otpu

joecrouse
joecrouse

The characiture of Larry is great.
Has that Resigned look of “Customer has asked me one to many stupid questions and spent way to long asking them before my coffee and I might use this tetsubo to bludgeon them”