PLAGUE OF YARD MOOSE!

Okay, maybe "plague" is hyperbole

Ran into this big guy Saturday at sundown. That’s only about 100 yards away, but it isn’t like the iPhone has zoom. So we’ve got a boy moose and a girl moose in the neighborhood, porchupines, about a zillion deer, a dead elk on the next road over (haven’t seen a live one yet), skunks, rabbits, and marmots. (ooooh, I totally need to get a marmot photo, those guys just chill and play it cool).

Fan art: Guns & book covers

Be the First to Comment!

4 years 20 days ago

We have some 800 moose living inside the city limits in Anchorage, this time of year. In winter, when foraging for greenery on the mountainside gets harder, that increases to 1,200 or so. Of course, where moose beget calves, there are bears. Got a lot of ‘em, too. Undead 800 lb. grizzlies would make an awesome, nigh-unstoppable menace, perhaps?

moose is yummie

4 years 20 days ago

Indeed, properly cooked, Moose IS wonderful. It was always the centerpiece dish at the annual Moosestomper’s Ball at Loring AFB, Maine. . .back when it still WAS an Air Force Base. Apparently, it’s been moved 60 miles south to Houlton, Maine, where it’s the highlight of an entire week of festivities, every February. . .

4 years 20 days ago

hey…. you gonna eat that?

Robert
4 years 20 days ago

Is a marmot a groundhog?

Down here in Saratoga Springs, our main access is Pioneer Crossing. It must be the roadkill capital of the world! If everything goes all undead on me some night, I’m going to need a full-auto Kriss .45!

Dave2
4 years 20 days ago

I was in Park City, UT last summer and it was pretty amusing seeing the marmots just chilling on the slopes. There were a bunch right under the alpine slide!

4 years 20 days ago

NOOOO! NOT THE MOOSE! ANYTHING BUT THE ROOM WITH A MOOSE!

4 years 20 days ago

You need a bigger porcupine for protection.

4 years 20 days ago

If you don’t like yard moose, don’t move to Anchorage. Had some walk right up my drive way and across my front step last winter.

4 years 20 days ago

Wow, I haven’t heard of that many animals in one place since I lived in Canada. and Robert, the thought of roadkill zombies is so ludicrous that I really hope someone writes that book someday.

Carole
4 years 20 days ago

Um, iPhones, at least v4, do have zoom. When you’re in the camera mode and are aiming the camera, tap the screen. A zoom scroll bar pops up, just like the volume on your iTunes. if you don’t adjust it will disappear again, and it resets after you exit the camera app.

Bayside EMT
4 years 20 days ago

Looks like you need to do some more “critter control” If I was a bit close I would love to help you help with this curse of the Yard Moose.
Keep your powder dry and your knife sharp.

JesseL
4 years 20 days ago

I’d warrant you have coyotes too, though if you haven’t seen them count yourself lucky that they still have some human aversion.

Be *very* glad that you don’t have to contend with javelina.

4 years 19 days ago

Here in Los Angeles coyotes have zip human aversion. They’ll eyeball you while they cross Ventura Boulevard during morning rush hour.

K A G
4 years 19 days ago

Dude, I so want your backyard! (As long as there are no re-animated zombie porcupines. . . . ouch, that hurts just thinking about it!)

4 years 19 days ago

Sounds like jerky-making season to me

4 years 19 days ago

A moose bit my sister once……..

lilappleblossom
4 years 19 days ago

I just got my copy of Monster Hunter Alpha, just thought I’d let you know. I’m gonna start reading immediately. <3 I love you Larry!

4 years 19 days ago

“hyperbole”?
Not at all. I was once caught in a rain of frog. I laughed that off, and the next week it was a rain of squirrel. From the same palm tree too. I avoid it now. I might survive the rain of dog, but the rain of buffalo will finish me.