An interesting article about where I grew up

Here is a National Review article about the area that I grew up in, California’s San Joaquin Valley.  http://www.nationalreview.com/articles/255320/two-californias-victor-davis-hanson?page=1

From what I’ve heard from friends and family that still live out there, the Central Valley is absolutely melting down. The primary industry used to be farming and now it is meth. Way to go, California.

Ask Correia 11: Time Management for Writers
The Christmas Noun - a cover by Eric Westover

8 Comments on "An interesting article about where I grew up"

Ralph
Ralph

tell your friends and family to leave California. If they are liberal, DO NOT suggest Colorado. If they are fascist, don’t suggest Colorado either. We have far too many of both already, courtesy of California.
California is going to melt down, and it’s going to be fun to watch from somewhere else. Self serving whiners.

perlhaqr
perlhaqr

Has CA made farming illegal? I heard it’s bad for minnows. 😉

warpcordova
warpcordova

Hey, I left for a reason. If my dad wasn’t so stubborn, he’d move too.

Steve D

I found that super interesting as well, Larry. I’m from Sacramento myself, and my dad is Chief of Police in on of the suburbs of Sacramento. We have discussions about this type of stuff all the time–especially the stuff mentioned on the 3rd page of that article. My mom was a teacher out there, so she sees a lot of this as well.

It’s no wonder they are retiring in June and leaving the state.

tweell
tweell

I’m moving there next month, to help my uncles with the family homestead/business. My modest firearm collection will be added to theirs and we’ll be working on moving the shop more to a cash basis – starve the beast.

Free-range Oyster
Free-range Oyster

I left California for Utah two years ago this month. I’ve often described it to friends as being like the finale of a cheesy action movie – me and mine scrambling for the hills as everything exploded behind us. Every day that passes makes me more grateful that I got my family out when I did. Another three to six months and I don’t think we would ever have made it.

Teknosapper
Teknosapper
As a San Joaquin native (Manteca, Ca) that survives in one of the last red-leaning bastions in Ca (Bakersfield, Ca), I have to whole heartedly agree with the article. My father recently retired as a police Lt. in Manteca and he could attest to the rampant drug use and violence that permeated the hispanic gang culture that accompanied rampant uncontrolled illegal immigration. (Not to say that it’s only the hispanics, there’s plenty of white tweaker trash robbing and killing as well…) Add to that the onerous regulation that hobbles those of us that work and pay the exorbiant taxes, the… Read more »
DANN
DANN
i left california over a year ago. i wasnt born there but i grew up and lived there for nearly 2 decades. as a kid i never understood why the illegals had more money and better housing than my family of 4 boys and my mom. in high school i wanted out during my sophomore year. i soon learned that a GED is even more useless than a high school diploma. then after as a 19 year old working as a part time salesman i wanted to know why 35% of my hard earned money went to the government. it… Read more »