My geeky hobbies

By popular demand, here is a quick pic of my new geeky hobby, building custom Monster Hunter International action figures. From L to R, Earl, Lee, Trip, Sam, Holly, Milo, Julie, Skippy, Gretchen. My Blackberry takes lousy pictures, so you’ll have to wait until I get back from AZ before I take any good ones.

These still need lots of work, touching up, finishing, etc. Not pictured is Edward (needs work on his hood), Franks (screwed up sculpting his neck, botched the face paint), and Owen (saving him for last).

I’ll take detail shots later. I’m proud of a few things that came out surprisingly good, like I built Trip’s dreads from scratch, and I built a shotgun shell leg caddy on Lee that looks like it came from the factory. I built Abomination to spec using a Marvel legends AK, M203 & EO Tech from Marauder, and a bayonet that I carved.

Let's book bomb the hell out of John Brown
Going to be in Arizona this weekend

19 Comments on "My geeky hobbies"

Matt G

Earl looks too young!

Nathan Major
6 years 1 month ago

That is beyond badass. I wish I had action figures from the books I wrote.
But seriously, you need to buy a plastic Cthulhu for them to kill or something. πŸ˜›

Matt
Matt
6 years 1 month ago

ok, that’s friggin awesome. i cant wait for the non blurry pictures.

Matt
Matt
6 years 1 month ago

i was IMing with a buddy who i got reading MH:I, he hasnt got to MH:V yet, but just finished MH:I, we were discussing the final battle and Sam Haven, the consensus was. you know you’re a badass when you make other Navy SEAL’s look like pussys… … …

Scott Deering
Scott Deering

Hi Larry,

You should have a contest for the best fan-produced images from MHI and MHV and then post the top three entries on the site.

-Scott

Scott Deering
Scott Deering
6 years 1 month ago

Speaking of hobbies vs work, I had a new writing question for you on:
Writing Discipline:
————————-
How do you organize your day to be able to sit down, think and write? For writers with day jobs, what works best in terms of blocking out the time to write and then being efficient about it? How do you balance writing with also having a family, life, etc.?

-Scott

cybrus
6 years 1 month ago

Wow – that’s fantastic. Can’t wait to see the high quality pictures!

Ralph
Ralph
6 years 1 month ago
you need to look at 3-D plastic printers, so you can make your own custom figures. They are not that pricey for a NYT Best Seller author. Once you make your custom figures, you shop them to the figure industry, and license them, and ka-ching. If MH catches on in Japan, your financial future will be bright. And you could do the bad guys really easy. All these could go into a MH role playing game. You need a marketing professional. That’s not me, but I do know a very successful one, who made his company, and is now a… Read more »
Ted N(not the Nuge)
Ted N(not the Nuge)

Awesome!

Gerry
Gerry
6 years 1 month ago

Nice doll collection, I mean action figures Larry.

I loved the reference to the Stig in MHV.

Bryan
Bryan
6 years 1 month ago

Might I suggest using the newer “Bazooka” figure as a base for Owen. The Bazooka figure is quite buff compared to other figures. (Though I don’t remember him being that buff in the cartoon.)

Knighthawk (drbindy)
Knighthawk (drbindy)
6 years 1 month ago
Looking good Larry. I think when I get the chance, I’m going to try to mirror the look of Owen and Julie from the cover art, but go with some of the more personalized looks for the others. Like Earl’s bomber jacket, and the like. I’m extremely interested in how you show off Agent Franks. It’s weird that by the end of MHV he was my favorite character. But I couldn’t get the image of Hugo Weaving from the Matrix out of my head with regard to him. Also very interested to see the Abominater…er…Abomination. lol. Before I had a… Read more »
deadcenter
deadcenter
6 years 1 month ago

Larry wrote, “…Franks (screwed up sculpting his neck…”

As you describe him in the novels, I wouldn’t think he had a neck.

just sayin’.

diondi
diondi
6 years 1 month ago

Your Julie looks a lot like the Baroness from GI Joe… as you’ve previously mentioned.

That’s awesome. πŸ˜€

Aaron
6 years 1 month ago

Time for better pictures, Larry!

1894C
1894C
6 years 1 month ago

Funny figured Holly for a blonde….

Loved MHI by the way. Can’t wait to get Vendetta

Great fun!

III

Bob W.
Bob W.
6 years 29 days ago

Larry;

Sorry for the late post… Been re-reading MHI and MHV over and over again! You ROCK!!!

I think it would be great (once you get them done) to have a quality group photo done (of the figures). Then you could sign the photo and either offer copies for sale or send one out to those who maybe give to a charity you support.

I love the MH series and am waiting for your next book.