Geeky craft request

Okay, weird request. Do any of you happen to have a GI Joe sized (the little GI Joes, not the big Barbie sized) guns laying around? Things that you bought for your kids, but they left them on the carpet for you to step on too many times so you don’t want them any more? Very specifically, I need a Thompson subgun. Preferably a GI style, but a 1928 style will do too.  Also I need a lever action rifle.  Anything that looks like a Marlin or Winchester would be perfectly close enough.

This is super geeky, but inspired by my friends that paint miniatures, all the custom action figure people on the internet (I think Silof is the most impressive), and the fact that all of my family except for me do some sort of geeky crafty thing, I’m trying to build/paint my own custom MHI action figures.  Don’t worry. I’ll put up pictures. (of any that turn out good).

This isn’t business. This is hobby. This is also extremely geeky. But inspired by my friends that paint miniatures (like Howard Tayler and Kirk Pfau) and by pages like http://www.sillof.com/C-Steampunk-ESB.htm I’m going to try and build myself some custom MHI action figures.

I’ve got a few hobbies (shooting, but that is very time intensive), and writing consumes almost all my free time, but I’ve not done anything artisticaly creative in a really long time.  I’ll post pictures of the ones that turn out okay. :)

The Thompson is for Earl. The lever gun is for Sam. Both of those are already shaping up pretty well. I’m actually already very proud of my Gretchen and Skippy.

Emancipated Worlds Chapter 1
Book Signing tomorrow - Layton

27 Comments on "Geeky craft request"

Skip

your best bet is probably to see if you can scavenge something off of an existing WW2, Vietnam or later miniature. I’m fairly certain I’ve seen WW2 ones with Thompsons, and there are probably vietnam or later sniper ones with rifles based off or the Remington 700. So treat it as an excuse to go to a games store and browse some.

Skip

Oh, I read that as bolt, not lever. Never mind on that, although you can still probably find something to scavenge off of.

Hardware

I really don’t want this boomeranging on me. Your wife/girlfriend/significant other had better not take out a hit on me for giving you these links!

warpcordova

Don’t feel bad, Larry. I’ve been doing geeky stuff like this for years. http://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=2176&id=100000046644308

Well, being a miniature geek myself, but not so much action figures… do you know the scale you’re working in? I have a lot of resources for parts and miniatures in a variety of scales, and worst case, I just make my own. I’ll have to try and find more information once I get home, where I don’t risk getting caught on here. =) You may want to check out Andrea Miniatures, that work in a lot of larger scales, and have a lot of historical stuff that may suit your needs.

chompy

For the lever action gun, the only joe that ever came with that type gun was the Rock and Roll from 1989 http://www.yojoe.com/action/89/rocknroll2.shtml Not as common as the other guns so you may need to try ebay.

For the Thompson try Marauder Inc (http://www.marauderinc.com). They do super detailed and I believe have a Thompson for about a $1

Kristopher

You should license the anime rights to MHI.

After the anime comes out, the Otaku will see to it that you can buy MHI action figures off the internet.

rudy meyer

NO!!! if i have to suffer though another anime, i think i will go insane. they ruined HALO!!!!!!!

Kristopher

They could add a Cthulhu tentacle-rape scene!

Then you can lose the rest of yer sanity points.

Cotswold Collectibles is your one-stop shop for the 12″ G.I. Joe figures, as well as many others. You have enough gear and loose pieces there to make up your own MHI team, you can even choose from a huge variety of custom heads. That might be a good alternative to the smaller stuff.

Rygoth

Hastur’s Games on South State St. in SLC has a variety of minis for different ranges including Malifaux, Weird Wars, etc. If you’re looking for stuff around 25 – 28 mm scales they may have it.

Remjin, GI Joe was/is 3.75 inches, or 1:18 scale.

Remjin

1/6th scale thompson submachine gun. Not sure what scale you’re working in. =) http://acitoys.com/aci-thompson-1.html

FYI Man

Those are commercially made for various figure collectors.

GrantS

Not geeky at all :D

I’m actually contemplating which 28MM figures would best represent the MHI team.

Ish

Off topic, mostly, but I was planning on using some figures from Wargames Foundry for MHI roleplaying and wargaming.

The Backstreet Militia will represent Owen’s team with a minor bit of conversion work. “Alison” – Julie, “Catweasel” = Owen, “Carrie” = Holly, “Penv” = Trip, and “Shuggy” = Milo.

(http://wargamesfoundry.com/fantasy_ranges/single_packs/futuristic/street_violence/backstreet_militia_sv054/ )

Several of their more generic swat teams will be turned into more MHI teams or MCB agents; One or two of the more colorful gangs should make good cultists and vampire mooks.

(http://wargamesfoundry.com/Search/search_results.html)

There is also a whole universe of fantasy figures out there to provide werewolves, trolls, and other beasties.

Remjin

I gotta say, this is tempting me to do my own set of miniatures. I’ll have to put it on my list, perhaps under diorama. Its a long list, though.

the Northwestern Diamondback

Larry, a couple years ago Toys R Us and WalMart both had a package of three “Build Your Own” 1/6 Thompsons (1921, ’28 and M1 plus assorted optional parts for long-barrel variants) under the “Ultimate Soldier” product line.

Check this guy out, though:

Shot you a note re email difficulties, and now have my “wear-out” copy of MHV–and at this point, Project Abomination is now waiting for the accountants.

Any thoughts about MHI in 15mm? I’d like to see if some of my animals who work with the Axis & Allies Miniatures game could hatch custom-cards and a scenario or two for MHI “At The Front” in WWII. Hmmm… what could justify Owen and Abomination showing up in 1944? And how did the war effort impact MHI operations?

the Northwestern Diamondback

Oops, somhow missed that you were thinking the “mini” GI Joes.

Ed

You NEED to check out Marauder Gun Runners.

Remjin

As an aside, it seems the scale of 1/18 scale or the action figure scale is also 90mm for miniatures purposes, for those that might find this interesting. =)

I’ve begun work on clearing my queue to make room for some MHI conversions. Planning on doing some custom sculpting and otherwise. Should be fun and an excuse to re-read the books. =)

Raphiel Benjamin

I suggest Marauders Inc for the thompson, and playmobil for the lever action- several of their western sets have them.

Knighthawk

Hey Larry – just finished up MHV today, and have been mapping out my own custom Joe-scaled Hunters. I’m not in Siloff’s class of customizer, necessarily (much of his stuff – and another great one, Glorbes, are in the 6″ figure scale anyway), but I do have a decent collection on display at Joecustoms.com under the name “drbindy”.

I wasn’t on here last week to respond to your initial question, but you’re welcome to look me up for any insight into this scale of customizing. Marauder was a fine choice for your subgun (makes me think there are more than a few other customizers here).