Writing update

In between bouts of depression and panic, lately I’ve been getting a lot of writing done lately.  Monster Hunter Alpha, the third book in the series, (i.e. the Earl Harbinger big book of badassery) is coming along.  I’m about a third of the way through, but that’s okay, because the writing tends to go a lot faster once I’ve got all the ground work laid.  I think you guys are really going to enjoy this one.

The basic plot is that Earl gets a tip that his old nemesis (Stalin’s favorite werewolf) has arrived in northern Michigan, up to no good. It is a showdown of two really bad dudes trying to murder the hell out of each other. Only, in typical Corriea fashion, everything is a whole lot more complicated than you think it is, and there are other forces pulling the strings.

Meanwhile, Dead Six is about 90% done.  My co-author, Mike Kupari, will be back from active duty next month. His half of the book is mostly done except for a few scenes, and then we need to go through and do a ton of editing.  Long range editing wasn’t working nearly as well for us, so we’ll be able to sit down and get this bad boy finished right after he gets back.

I’m excited to put Dead Six in front of my publisher. It isn’t up Baen’s usual alley, but it is similar in genre to John Ringo’s Paladin of Shadows series, and Tom Kratman is also publishing a straight-up .mil thriller from Baen this year as well.  So D6 does actually fit better than expected at my sci-fi/fantasy publishing house.  Dead Six is an epic adventure, and I’m really excited for you guys to read it.

On that note, don’t forget that Monster Hunter Vendetta will be available in September. The e-book will be out sooner, but I’m not sure when exactly yet, though it shouldn’t be too much longer before the first quarter is posted over on Baen’s page for free.

The Grimnoir Chronicles will be also begin in 2011, with the first book, Hard Magic.  On that note, I’ve decided that when TGC is inevitably made into a giant Hollywood movie, that Adam Baldwin (Jayne, Animal Mother, Agent Casey) should play the lead. The fact that he’s a perfect fit for the main character was pointed out to me by a member of Reader Force Alpha the other day, plus unlike most actors, he knows that the bullets come out the pointy end of the gun. So if any of you guys know Adam Baldwin, I’ll send him over the Word file. :)

Speaking of Hollywood, yes, Monster Hunter International was looked at by several studios, and actually went really far up the decision chain to the boss of bosses at one of the majors. However nothing new has happened there in some time, and I blame Will Smith… No, seriously.  He’s currently making a movie called Monster Hunters (no relation). I guess it is a family comedy where he plays a child psychologist who discovers that the monsters under kid’s beds are real.  Hey, that’s a great pitch, but it is no match for “Accountant kills the crap out of everything with big guns, saves the world by face-punching monsters to death, and gets the girl”.

So the current plan is to continue work on Alpha, finish D6, and then I’ll either be working on TGC 2 or MHI 4 (back to Owen’s PoV), plus I’ve got a stand alone sci-fi/adventure/reality show involving overthrowing a country that I want to work on.

Update to the Update, there will be a MHV E-Arc from Baen
The RentenDollar: A conspiracy theory OR Please tell me where I'm wrong.

20 Comments on "Writing update"

spectre23

Just throwing in my vote for Adam Baldwin. He is great!

Skip

MHV isn’t listed on the schedule yet on Baen’s website, but it (and the Webscriptions release schedule) only go to September, so it’ll probably be in October’s release, I’d guess, which would make the free portion show up about when the serialization began, in July or so.

Lots to look forward to, there.

craig

Adam Baldwin rocks, agent casey is a lot of fun.

That blows to have your basic movie plot stolen outright. when was the script written? was it after someone read MHI? lawsuit! wait, adam baldwin worked with will smith in independence day…..maybe he could fix this yet.

can’t wait for all these books to hit the presses. keep up the good work.

Dillis

You’ve pumped out several works in the time that it’s taken me to decide how to write a couple of short stories.

I think we need legislation to address this clear maldistribution of talent.

”Accountant kills the crap out of everything with big guns, saves the world by face-punching monsters to death, and gets the girl”.

Epic awesomeness Larry. Sounds like you might be able to quit your day job in the not too distant future. :-D

Good stuff! Do you know if the e-book be available significantly before the real book is released? Or do you just have no idea? :)

Nick Sharps

I just hope you can publish all these epics of awesomeness before the union dissolves

Grant

Echoing what I said over on WTA: Baldwin is a excellent addition for any movie, and especially for one involving guns.

The Sick SuperHuman

Baldwin is an excellent actor and makes any movie or TV show better.

I know this is a little off track when MHI becomes a movie you should look into having John Jarrett in on the movie. He played Mick in “Wolf Creek” an Australian movie he is quite a nefarious character.

David Kantrowitz

Keep hammering away at those story ideas, and don’t slow down!

charliegibsonsucks

Was reading Tamara’s (booksbikesboomsticks) blog and she had a post “Chicks can hold their smoke.” that links below. The instructor was sporting a Monster Hunter International (MHI) patch

^That’s me!

If you dig around a few posts back, I did post my massive geek-gasm when the patches and signed book showed up.

[…] MHI was published in 2009, and in the meantime Larry Correia hasn’t rested on his laurels.  The sequel, Monster Hunter Vendetta ,was released in paperback just this past September.  Larry’s also a blogger, and if you’re interested in reading about his work (and thoughts) you can check in with him at Monster Hunter Nation and read about his work on the third novel, Monster Hunter Alpha. […]

I *finally* picked up MHA that I had gotten for my 17 year old. I wish MHI and MHA were available on Kindle, as I have almost run out of room for books. I did get a good laugh out of Melvin in MHV, as you may notice from my email address that I’ve had since the mid 90s. I’ve gotten several people hooked on MH including my oldest daughter. Looking forward to other books by you.

Andrew Quackenbush

Just wanted to say I just started monster hunter alpha…. But I already love it. Im from copper harbor Michigan and went to high school in calumet. Seeing a setting in my stomping grounds is absolutely amazing, even referencing yoopers. Just wanted to show my appreciation.