EDIT: It's cool.

EDIT:  Okay, before reading forward, everybody can relax.  I spoke with the owner of the Two Hour Wargames after I posted this. Yes, he was inspired by the first part of MHI. He will be putting up a thing on his page about that is where he got the idea. He apologized, and will be linking to where people can get my book.   Ed apologized, said that he read that bit and got fired up, and should not have used my stuff like that.  I respect that he contacted me so quickly to apologize and to try to make things right.

I don’ t mind fan fiction, in fact I love it and there is some great MHI fan fic on the internet. I know of at least a dozen different gamer groups that are running their own MHI based campaigns and I think that is awesome, but when someone uses a writer’s creation to make money, then that is different. Baen Books owns the rights to MHI, and anything that ties in there needs to be cleared through them through proper channels.

So I’m pulling this down. Thanks to everybody who jumped in there. I’ve got a brutal fan base. You guys rocked, but we’re cool here.

Book signings in Denver
Got some writing done yesterday, still a member of the Utah Literati.

43 Comments on "EDIT: It's cool."

FarmGirl

These people obviously don’t know who they’re messing with. With the number of fans you have and the amount of vitriol and snark they bring to the table (not even mentioning the number of firearms, because that might be considered a threat…) they’re in for a bumpy ride even without a lawsuit.

‘Scuse please, off to write a scathing rant about plagiarists and the bad ends they come to.

Mopar

I’m sure Ed worked a licensing deal with you and Baen and you just forgot with all your book signings. 😛

Mopar

Two Bit War Games

Ed Teixeira

I have contacted Mr. Correia about this and pull the product from the site until we have had a chance to discuss this. Totally his call.
Anyone having read ATH knows it is not the same story.
Again, sorry for any misunderstanding and I am waiting for Mr. Correia’s response.

Aaron Spuler

What a cock chode… remember what I said about Roman Planski (http://larrycorreia.wordpress.com/2009/09/30/are-you-fing-kidding-me-whoopi-on-rape-rape/#comment-5663)?

Well, yeah, you could probably do the same to Mr. Ed. Probably wouldn’t be as justified as with Asswipe Polanski but damn it would be worth it.

Melody Byrne

It’s real simple. You get a lawyer to send a cease and desist letter, and all of your blogger buddies post about this so the first google result under the game’s name (and company’s name) is about plagiarism.

That should about end that particular revenue stream for them.

C Kelsey
C Kelsey

Pitchforks my friends… This is ridiculous. Hey Two Hour Wargames! If you’re going to be unoriginal, at least be unoriginal originally! Sheesh!

However, Larry… That Rosleen thing? Sounds like a good read. Really familiar in fact. 😉

Ed Teixeira

Larry,
Can you email me so I can talk to you. Seriously man, there was no offense intended. I’d like to show you what I have an get your opinions.
Ed

Matthew House
Matthew House

On behalf of the RPG gamer community, I would like to apologize that this happened to you, and rest assured, I will pass the word that these punks need to be pilloried with great malice aforethought. I do however beg you, -please- dont let this sour you to future possibilites of a MHI tabletop game. I know I would love to run or play in such a game.

DAWGIE
WELL, i am one of those “punks” that you folks are talking so glibly about blowing away, putting in the pillory, leading mobs against, loosing the dogs of ambulance chasing on, and etc. no i do not have any financial connection to THWG, ED is not my brother, brother in law or related in any manner to me, but i am his friend, and have been playing with miniatures, rules, dice, terrain, on tabletops probably long before some of y’all were even concieved, or contemplated, and i have done been there and done that hell on earth where human beings… Read more »
Matthew House
Matthew House
“frankly, i doubt that 1 in 100 of you has the danglies to react in this manner to my face and within arms reach, but it is easy to be “brave” thanks to the intervening time/distance that seperates you and me, or you and anyone else, from a well deserved ante up to your long distance mouthing off. . . .” A word of advice? The internet tough-guy thing never works, really. and every once in a while, someone take you up on it. most of the people who come here are combat vets, competition shooters, and other nasty things… Read more »
Chris Byrne

DMCA takedown notice to angelfire, they’ll be down in a couple hours.

Report them as copyright violators to paypal, and their paypal account will be suspended.

Mopar

Since Ed has already pulled down the page (gee, ya think he got a few phone calls and emails? /me whistles innocently) here is the google cache:

Chris Byrne

Hmm, a post from their yahoo group:

“There has been an issue with some of the content of ATH and of this moment it has been pulled from circulation.”

Julie

“Some of the content”??? How about ALL of the content. *dies*

EJPedde
EJPedde

Maybe you can get some extra Christmas money out of the whole deal.

DaddyBear

Cry havoc and let slip the litigators of war!

When I used to play RPG’s with friends over beer and pizza, we would occasionally play adventures that were pulled out of our favorite novels (Hammer’s Slammers played via Battletech) but for Cthulhu’s sake, this is someone trying to make money off of someone else’s idea. Glad he pulled it down, but there’s nothing to stop him from putting it back up once the sturm und drang dies down.

Ed Teixeira
Just so you all know what I posted on my group. Just got off the phone with Larry Correia (I called him) the author of Monster Hunter International and got everything square with him. It was pointed out to me by some of his fans that there were similarities between the two which I do not deny. Like I said to Larry, his fantastic book inspired me to get off my butt and start All Things Horror (yes, I know it has been sitting around for two years). I agreed to let everyone know about this and also I suggested… Read more »
Nathan
Nathan

Ed Teixeira is a class act. See how adults can deal with things? No whining and pitchforks required.

Dave

Wow, that really is a complete rip-off of MHI. You might use different characters Ed, but the idea and plot are completely Larry’s.

I would recommend taking the game off the shelves or Baen will likely be coming after you – you just can’t take someone’s idea and flip it for profit… not cool.

Michael Z. Williamson

There is no IP protection for ideas or plot. And you can, in fact, take ideas and run with them. The previous writer for The Hero (whose story was rejected) sold it independently. I’ve had ideas rejected one place, and reused elsewhere.

Consider how closely the stories of Moses, Lawrence of Arabia and Paul Atreides are. Or High Noon and Outland.

Now, if you start using characters, devices, names, close paraphrases of text, etc, you run into issues.

Fred Kiesche

Errrrrmmmm…I suggest you all take a look at Tri-Tac’s “Bureau 13” or even some of the stuff done for “Call of Cthulhu” or “Ghostbusters”. I once ran (1980’s) a CoC/GB variant that was “normal monsters” (vampires) and the player’s were bounty hunters working for a corporation.

There is nothing new under the sun.

But good to see everything worked out. Now Larry can get back on “Vendetta” and other works!

Bob Minadeo
Bob Minadeo

Deleted because Larry felt like it.

Ed Teixeira

Larry and I worked things out and it really should end there. The book is still great and it stands on it’s own merits.
Like Larry said, we’re cool so can we just drop it? Nothing to gain here.

Bob Minadeo
Bob Minadeo

Deleted, because Larry felt like it.

Matthew House
Matthew House

so what the hell am I supposed to do with all this tar and feathers?

dammit, this always happens to me.

Bob Minadeo
Bob Minadeo

Just a thank you for the title change.

No worries about the deletions,

Miguel

Just think the next time Larry meets with fellow writers and the gloating that will ensue:

Writer One: “My fans dress up as the characters and recreate scenes from my book.”
Writer Two: “My Fans have created the largest numbers of fan sites ever.”
Larry: “My nutjobs found out somebody might be making money illegally out of my book, loaded up on rifles, pistols and ammo, hoped in their armored vehicles, tested the 50 calibers and were on their way to rape, pillage and burn.”
Writer One and Two: “So what happened?”
Larry””This time they got the order right.”

Ted
Ted

Damn, late to the party. What the hell happened…

Noah D
Noah D

Having owned (and occasionally played!) a few Two Hour Wargames products for several years, I’d think that Ed’s ‘Chain Reaction’ system would be a perfect fit for gaming MHI on the tabletop.

DAWGIE
THANK YOU for the info about where to find your book. i am not familiar with your book and i have not even bought ATH yet, BUT, i would be SAFE say that i among other gamers with no knowledge of your book have written and GM scenarios about bounty hunters, sanctioned para military agencies, government agencies, and even the VATICAN have chartered to deal with “things man was not meant to know” since at least the 1970s for use with tactical RPG-ing or RPG w/lead as it is known to some folks. for at least the last 20 years… Read more »
DAWGIE

PS- i am a lousy typist!

DAWGIE

dave sohm

‘You can get MHI for $7.99 or less at Amazon or Barnes & Noble. Go there now and buy one for everyone on your christmas list so that Baen will publish more of my books.’

There I fixed that for you.

DAWGIE
MATTHEW, i an not playing internet hard case. i mentioned what i consider to be a very real instance of cyber threats and etc, not being done face to face and within arms reach by some if not all of the folks who are talking about it. . and i mentioned it because of all of the bs being tossed so glibly about here by folks who have probably never engaged in physical confrontations in their lives. been my experience that most folks who have actually fought and killed, do not stroll about with flashing neon signs over their nogginis… Read more »
Matthew House
Matthew House
. .. … ~laughter~ Where to begin. I’m feeling contrary, so I’ll start at the bottom. ‘bluntly stated’ does not, in any way resemble a synonym for ‘implied’. And I’ve not threatened you. If you feel this is the case, I suggest you may be having comprehension problems. or, ‘I do not think that means what you think it means. Next, we have you making comments about how ‘badass’ you are, except that, in your experience, “that most folks who have actually fought and killed, do not stroll about with flashing neon signs over their nogginis that read” stone cold… Read more »
DAWGIE
MATTHEW, i came here out of curiosity to see what all of the up roar was over, and to find out what LARRY had to say, since i knew what ED had to say. what i found was all kinds of cyber bad mouth, talk of pillorying, talk about folks here being full of snark, vitriol, and having lots of guns to bring to the table, threats of legal action, recommendations from fans about how to go about trying to ruin a man’s business before they even knew both sides of the event. the few folks who were not going… Read more »