Question: Should we bail out the auto industry?

This question was raised on www.wethearmed.com  So I put some thought into it.

Bail out the auto industry?

Let me put it this way. When you have a company that is contractually obligated to pay $75 an hour to the guy who SWEEPS THE FLOOR… you deserve to FAIL.

Let me rephrase.

FAIL! Damn it! Go to hell, go to hell and die!

I’m sick and tired of this crap.

The argument for strategic industry is one thing, but it is fundamentally flawed. The days of Detroit flipping over and turning out Sherman tanks are gone. If the auto industry tried to tool up for wartime production our new tank would be the M2 NADER, which blows for combat but gets 32 miles on the highway, and three Iranians and an angry goat driving a ’75 Toyota pickup truck (that’s still running) could burn a fleet of them.

Screw it. The unions raped the auto industry. It is time for a reboot.

In a true capitalistic society, these companies would croak, then somebody else would come along, learn from their mistakes, and buy their assets. Then you would have a new and improved industry. That method has only worked since the invention of freedom and money, but hey, let’s try this new way, ’cause this Marx guy seems pretty cool!

Bailing out banks is stupid. Bailing out AIG is stupid. Bailing out Detroit is stupid. I’m sick of stupid. George Bush, you suck more every day. Nancy Pelosi, it is impossible for you to suck anymore, as you are the baseline of all suck.

Ikea... Sweadish for Wait In Line
Review threads for Monster Hunter International

21 Comments on "Question: Should we bail out the auto industry?"

Rush Baby
Rush Baby
8 years 23 days ago

Forgot about Tuckers?

Don Gwinn
8 years 23 days ago

You just don’t understand business. They’re TOO BIG to fail. If they fail, we all die. Slowly. Is that what you want?

Plus, it’s just this once. It’s not like, if we bail them out this time, they won’t turn it all around and become profitable. Once you bail these big corporations out once, they basically learn their lessons and then you never have to do it again; that’s what’s so great about bailouts.

Greg
Greg
8 years 22 days ago

I’m going to have to agree with Larry on this. What is all this bail out stuff all the sudden? If a company is going to fail, no matter the size of it, it should be left to fail.

Postponing an economic collapse by printing off more money to give to these failing companies is by no means going to make things better in the long run.

NC
NC
8 years 22 days ago
But…but…but…those dedicated United Auto Worker employees NEED their ridiculously inflated salaries to survive! BIGOT. RACIST! HAT3R! Um…SCALIWAG! Pfft. Unions can go to hell. See how great those pensions are when your job goes to MEXICO. I have a job where occasionally I have drugged-up tweakers try to run me the fuck over, and when I started I was making like eleven bucks an hour. Money was tight. I had to work overtime. I had to budget. Life’s a bitch. Interestingly, I find that if I work too much overtime, my tax rate shoots up so that I don’t actually make… Read more »
Liberty Girl
8 years 22 days ago

Don Gwinn…are you serious or is your sarcasm too subtle for my detection instruments?

ilcylic
ilcylic
8 years 22 days ago

Don is filled to the brim with delicious, subtle sarcasm.

red
8 years 22 days ago

I agree, let ’em fall. Too many people getting paid ridiculous amounts of money for minimal work.

MikePGS
MikePGS
8 years 22 days ago

As a native Metro Detroiter, I wholeheartedly agree with your sentiments. I recall reading about a woman who makes a 100,000 grand, and she’s a janitor (more power to her, if someones going to be dumb enough to pay her that much for sweeping the floors, i’d keep the job to). The auto unions have basically destroyed Michigan’s economy (of course a lot of companies are hopelessly entwined with it around here, kind of a dumb move on their part) so why do they deserve to be bailed out? So much for a free market I guess…

Liberty Girl
8 years 22 days ago

@ilcylic: Thank xst.

CounterClckWise
8 years 22 days ago

Yes! The ‘strategic industry’ argument is a load of crap. Last I checked, Detroit couldn’t make ICBMs anyway.

Vaarok
Vaarok
8 years 22 days ago

The worst part is the Hilux with the goat would probably get better mileage.

P Rao
P Rao
8 years 22 days ago

Sick of hearing “too big to fail”. File for bankruptcy, negotiate new terms for a viable business model, restructure and emerge from bankruptcy, lean, with a business model and costs meaningful to the market they operate in. But, yes, Congress has a share of the blame too with their two-fleet mileage rules. See http://viewfromtheground.wordpress.com/2008/11/14/no-bailout-for-the-auto-industry/.

NCLivingBrit
NCLivingBrit
8 years 22 days ago

More unions choking the life out of industry. Seen this back in the motherland, seeing it here.

Fuck em all, if you get paid 4 or 5 times what you’re productivity is worth, expect your employer to go tits up.

Rich
Rich
8 years 21 days ago

I’m no fan of unions, but it takes two to tango.

The management types agreed to this sort of crap because all they are judged on is the next quarter’s cash flow.

Time to hit the reset button.

ebd10
ebd10
8 years 20 days ago
The UAW’s insistence on forcing the Big 3 to pay a 10th grade drop-out $30 an hour to do a job that you could train chimpanzees to do has killed the American auto industry. I grew up in Detroit during the reign of King Coleman the Corrupt. Between the UAW and their extortion of the auto industry, and Coleman Young looting the city treasury of every dollar he could get, Detroit has become a third world city. Plus, Michigan has a Single Business Tax that prevents any new industry from looking in their direction to set up shop. In the… Read more »
Robert
8 years 19 days ago

As a quasi employee of one of the Detorit 2 and three quarters…

Please $DIETY, do not, DO NOT bail us out.

jdun
jdun
8 years 18 days ago

Japan has 9 auto companies and all of them are making nice profit. On the other hand USA has 3 and all of them are losing money. So there is something seriously wrong with the US auto industry.

I personally would like all three of them to die so they could be broken up. Hopefully, these new smaller companies would fair better then the big three.

The big three can’t complete so let them die.

Drew
Drew
8 years 18 days ago
Amen. I apologize for inviting myself into your blog, but I was captivated by the disdain for the unions. I absolutely feel the same way you do. I f-ing hate unions. I always have, I always will. Just look at the state of NJ. The prop taxes are out of control. The state employs a bloated sector of workers who can’t be fired and still get raises and COL increases despite an economy in the shitter while I stuggle with my prop taxes to pay for their raises. Hate the f-ing unions. They will kill America, if they haven’t already.… Read more »
Brian Dale
Brian Dale
8 years 17 days ago

This just in (well, six hours ago, anyway):

Rep. Barney Frank (Communist; New England) was on NPR’s Morning Edition today. His rationale for pushing the 25, or 50, or it might be $75 Billion auto makers’ bailout was as follows:

“This is a wealthy country.”

Not if you keep getting your way, you bastard.

tarpfun
tarpfun
8 years 17 days ago

LOOK at all the holidays they get in addition to paid time off.
sample below

WOW
Dec. 24, 2007 Christmas
Dec. 25, 2007 ———-
Dec. 26, 2007 ———-
Dec. 27, 2007 Holiday
Dec. 28, 2007 ———-
Dec. 31, 2007 ———-
Jan. 1, 2008 Period

Nick (The Other White Nick)
Nick (The Other White Nick)
8 years 14 days ago